Saturday November 23rd – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

119 Responses to Saturday November 23rd – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Heroes Of Faith

In Rom. 4:12 the Apostle Paul declares that Abraham was the father, not of his physical offspring alone, but also of those who “walk in the steps of that faith” which Abraham had.

Have you ever noticed that God does not hold the great men of Scripture up to us because of their personal virtues? Almost invariably their records are marred by failure and sin. But God bids us observe their faith and what their faith gained for them (See Rom. 4:3,9,11,12).

There is a whole chapter on this subject in the Book of Hebrews. Hebrews 11 is properly called “the great faith chapter,” and its heroes “heroes of faith,” for it tells how Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and scores of others “obtained a good report” before God. They all faltered and failed again and again, but Heb. 11:39 declares that “these all… obtained a good report THROUGH FAITH.”

This is why Rom. 4:9-12 states that God’s blessing is bestowed upon those who “walk in the steps of that faith” which Abraham exhibited, just as it was bestowed upon Abraham himself.

This truth is driven home in Verses 3 to 5 of the same chapter:

“For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

“Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

“But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness” (Rom. 4:3-5).

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
    9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
    10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
    11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
    12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Hebrews 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
    5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

2. citizen817 says:

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

HAPPY CATURDAY

4. Garrison Hall says:

5. Garrison Hall says:

Happy CATERDAY!!!!

6. citizen817 says:

🤔

• WSB says:

Makes sense in a Rubik’s Cube sort of way!

• ann says:

Reminds me of the only SNL skit that was funny but not mean
      Shaŵn Spicer commuting on his motorised pulpit thingy.

Alas, software ineptitude, wish I could post

Resist injected viral myths into our society. To retain control they are , willing to wreck our cohesion as one people.

A generation of worthless leaders who rant about our sins have starved our society of free speech, candour, healthy humour, and restorative reforms.

I ask God every day to help me forgive, and lighten the bitter anger that darkens my soul.

As their abuse proceeds unchecked, stifling our power, contempt for leaders and, worse, contempt for the branches of government has hardened in my heart.

7. citizen817 says:

• WSB says:

The leg work is phenomenal.

• czarowniczy says:

Brought me back to going to the Bolshoi back in the early 60s. A beautiful, regal interior, maintained spotless. In the entry area were kiosks where you could buy champagne (not the best…People’s Champagne Plant #6) and caviar on toast (quite good) for just a few cents (US).

Inside the seats were full of tourists, apparatchiks and workers in work clothes, a truly People’s function. OK, not much else to do andit was one of the few places to get state supported caviar but it was interesting. The ballet was fabulous too.

• Janie M. says:

cz, the one person I would have LOVED to see perform was Mikhail Baryshnikov. Amazing dancer (in more than just ballet) and….. easy on the eyes (handsome man). BTW, good actor also. Saw him in a movie w/Gregory Hines (?), name of said movie escapes me right now. Believe Gregory Hines was attempting to escape from the Soviet Union.

• czarowniczy says:

Sadly, as we were the spawn of unrepentant bourgeoisie, military ones at that, we got one of the matinee troupes…but still wonderful.

• JTR says:

I believe that film was “White Nights”. I really loved that movie!

• Janie M. says:

Yup, JTR, believe you are correct. Thanks for the info. I have as of yet to view it. My memories are from various film clips.

Since my son has our internet set-up and free movies roster figured out, I should ask him if he could find that movie for me. He watches TV shows/movies frequently.

The only TV shows I had watched previously on my p.c. were “Better Call Saul” and “Blacklist” but then I got behind. It would have been a p.i.t.a. to then find the older episodes.

8. Janie M. says:

Welp… another year and ANOTHER romaine lettuce recall out of Cali. (e-coli problem again) – same area. I decided last year, I’d stick with the regular head of iceberg lettuce I primarily consumed for most of my life, only had purchased romaine on rare occasions. My immune system is compromised (Crohn’s) so it’s not worth the risk.

FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Products Produced With Romaine From the Salinas, California, Growing Region

(snip)
    “WASHINGTON, Nov. 22, 2019 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert due to illnesses caused by E. coli O157:H7 associated with romaine lettuce from the Salinas, California, growing region. FSIS warns against consuming any wraps, sandwiches, prepackaged salad, salad kits, or other product containing romaine lettuce harvested from the Salinas, California, growing region. Additionally, consumers should not eat any salad products identified in a Missa Bay, LLC, recall announced by FSIS on November 21, 2019.”

More at:

• TreeClimber says:

I just don’t eat any romaine at all anymore.

• Janie M. says:

👍👍 It’s a shame, Tree, because I had found romaine was the next most robust (in structure) after iceberg. And it tasted good. But after last year’s recall, I decided never again.

• WSB says:

Eat iceberg. Remove one third of it before you even think about washing it and eating it.

• Jacaranda11816 says:

Try Belgian Endive instead…delicious, versatile, high in folate, fiber, great for paleo-type dishes…and more robust than romaine

• Pale rider says:

Spinach is my go to for green leaf on sammiches, salads. I’m not sure the purpose of lettuce.

• Janie M. says:

Weeelll, Pale, iceberg lettuce holds up well (doesn’t wilt easily/get soggy) and is good for salads, sandwiches, tacos (thinly sliced shreds) and a number of other dishes, i.e. lettuce wraps, etc. And the price is right. 😉

• Pale rider says:

Nutrition wise? Like gravy for instance, or bacon Goes good on salads and desserts and extremely good tasting and good for you.
              Iceberg taste like well ice or water and goes crunch? Spinach! Crunch, green leaf, good salads, packed with flavor and vitimins. Good cold or hot, and a pocket full is good to munch on throughout the day.
              Iceberg gets all runny and starts to smell unless it’s cold. Not good pocket food, aaaand nutrition wise I think it adds nothing.
              I’m messin with you Janie!
              I eat spinach cause of the nutrition, I quit on iceberg because I’m constantly trying to eat as much as possible with nutrition. I am a bodybuilder every bite counts so much so I get tired of eating.

• GB Bari says:

Grow your own garden Lettuce or spinach. It’s easy. Can do it in a window box, better yet a 4’x4′ if you have room. You can plant it densely, stagger plant 2 rows one week then plant 2 more the next and so one so you can get a small harvest each week for a couple of months. You can also grow lettuce and spinach indoors with minimal soil and grow lights. Or you can grow lettuce indoors hydroponically and avoid soil contact all together.
          There are lots and lots of resources on the internet for how-to grow lettuce and spinach indoors or outdoors in high density, minimal square footage gardens.

• millwright says:

Gotta demonstrate what those little plastic shacks on the edge of the field are for, I guess ! Or the birds are importing/tracking E. Coli from downtown . Who would buy food you eat raw from a state with typhus, the plague, STDs and various other contagious ailments anyway ?

• millwright says:

PS, I buy rice direct from a farmer ( Rice Farmer TV ) along the Feather River but now I have to consider even that support !

• Janie M. says:

millwright, it is my understanding that rice draws up arsenic in the field. It can be naturally in the soil and occurring for numerous other reasons (uses of field for other crops/dumping of chemicals/fertilizers) prior to using the field for rice. I will always eat rice (love it all), it’s part of my heritage (mother was Japanese). I’m making CA rolls for my son today… uhhhh, I polished off the last few pieces of a small tray I had purchased a few days ago and he was looking for it in the fridge – made me feel guilty… 😝 😆 almost.

• Janie M. says:

Right on point, millwright. And ponder on this… wasn’t it called the “Golden State” in the past? More like fool’s gold.

• JTR says:

We have a local organic grower near us. Many kinds of lettuce (I love Arugula) and sprouts. It’s a bit of hassle to get, but well worth it. All grown indoors.

• corimari2013 says:

Thank you very much for posting this alert, Janie M.
      I just sent it to several folks.
      Let’s be careful out there!

• Janie M. says:

T.Y. corimari, I subscribe to the FDA’s e-mail recall alerts for food/ drugs, including over-the-counter items you can now purchase w/o a prescription, etc. And I also subscribe to the Consumer Product Safety Commission email alerts. Both are good/free services (taxpayer supported – we pay for this😉)

• mandy says:

Grow your own.

• czarowniczy says:

Conditions for growing/harvesting/distributing produce at an economic level breed conditions for the public to catch diseases related to animal and human feces and urine. If you’ve ever been around the factory farm during harvesting/processing you know what I mean.

In the 60s in Germany we had our produce come in off of the German economy and from Africa where ‘night soil’ was still a staple fertilizer. The commissary would have baskets of bags of powdered chlorine bleach. We were cautioned to take all produce home, fill a sink with water, dissolve the chlorine packet in it and soak all produce. We did but those who didn’t frequently had to take a few days off. Seems to be gettin’ like that here.

• Janie M. says:

Ewww, cz.🤢😵 I’m a freak about food safety. Last thing I need is food poisoning (Crohn’s).My hands dry out in winter from all the hand washing I do and I don’t use lotion, don’t want it getting onto washed foods.

• TreeClimber says:

I use coconut oil. Perfectly safe to get on washed foods and just as effective as most lotion. =)

• czarowniczy says:

Take a short vacay and go down and watch produce harvesting in southern Florida or in the Southwest. Bring booze and a barf bag.

• Janie M. says:

cz, over the years, I have read a few articles about those workers (usually illegals) harvesting crops not having access to bathroom facilities so they just do their business in the field. ☹️🤢

• czarowniczy says:

Ummmmm…yup. There’s a huge blueberry industry in our area and migrant workers rotate through on a seasonal basis. They specialize in certain crops as how we get some who come for the early harvest after dealing with crops in the Caribbean. Time is $$$$ and they don’t have the luxury of breaks on hand-managed crops.

I first was exposed in the early 70s when we had the huge industrial food farms in south Florida…I’ve washed everything that comes from the store into my house ever since.

• SouthernHeart says:

We grow our own lettuce and spinach, spring and fall….throw out some seeds in good soil (in-ground or pots) and you have organic greens. Easy peasy!

• mandy says:

I’m growing four different lettuces this winter – in 12″ square pots. My favorite is “Grand Rapids Green Leaf” which I got from MI Gardener’s website. 2nd place goes to “Red Ruby Leaf.” Completely disappointed with “Tango” and whatever that other variety is (I forget) … but the GRGL and RRL are doing SO well, I don’t miss the other two anyway!

9. TreeClimber says:

I want to say Thank You to everyone who has been praying for my family and my husband’s job situation. Earlier this month, he finally got signed on in a position of permanence. Today we saw the first paycheck with the new wage – plus, he also now has medical and dental insurance, and paid time off. (We get to have him home for the holidays, yay!) He only got a dollar raise, but it will still help, and there’s rumors going around his workplace that come January, everyone is getting another raise (when the companies finally finish the merger.) We don’t have any confirmation on how much, though, and I don’t like to count chickens before they hatch. xD

But, we’re definitely in a better position now than we were a month ago. And I know a lot of people have been praying for us, and I appreciate it. So thank you all.

(I’m going to tack on another request, though. His boss just lost her mom to cancer a couple of days ago, and is having a rough time, as is her dad. Any prayers for them would be appreciated, too.)

10. Lucille says:

Happy Caturday To the Max…

11. Dora says:

Sir Napoléon

12. Les Standard says:

Some great old music and historic 60s pictures.

• Texian says:

Views from my neighborhood.. on my Schwinn Stingray bicycle.. with my friendly transistor radio hanging off the handlebars..

• Janie M. says:

I remember stingray bikes in the early 60’s (if I am remembering correctly), Texian. Being a girl, however, don’t think we rode them… more like a guy thing. I remember kids, attaching a playing card onto their bike wheels with a clothes pin so the wheel spokes would create that quick flapping noise. 😆 Don’t know exactly what they were trying to emulate

13. Dora says:

14. Dora says:

15. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.”
    1 Thessalonians 1:5 (KJV)

16. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

17. just stevie says:

DISTRACTION OF ANTIPATHY

“Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt.” Psalm cxxiii. 3

The thing of which we have to beware is not so much damage to our belief in God as damage to our Christian temper. “Therefore take heed to thy spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.” The temper of mind is tremendous in its effects, it is the enemy that penetrates right into the soul and distracts the mind from God. There are certain tempers of mind in which we never dare indulge; if we do, we find they have distracted us from faith in God, and until we get back to the quiet mood before God, our faith in Him is NIL, and our confidence in the flesh and in human ingenuity is the thing that rules.

Beware of “the cares of this world,” because they are the things that produce a wrong temper of soul. It is extraordinary what an enormous power there is in simple things to distract our attention from God. Refuse to be swamped with the cares of this life.

Another thing that distracts us is the lust of vindication. St. Augustine prayed – “O Lord, deliver me from this lust of always vindicating myself.” That temper of mind destroys the soul’s faith in God. “I must explain myself; I must get people to understand.” Our Lord never explained anything; He left mistakes to correct themselves.

When we discern that people are not going on spiritually and allow the discernment to turn to criticism, we block our way to God. God never gives us discernment in order that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.

Oswald Chambers
    November 23rd Devotional

18. Dora says:

Beautiful! It’s on my ‘bucket list’. 🙂

19. Dora says:

He should have known they would come after him.

===

Atheist Group Calls Kanye West Prison Worship Service ‘Egregious’ Violation of Constitution

• Linda K. says:

Right, and when was the lat time the atheist group showed any interest or donated their time to the prison inmates?

• czarowniczy says:

Huh, guess the atheist group jes dun forgot about those Saudi-funded Wahabi groups that have been actively recruiting new souls. BoP wrote a large report on the activity, there was a takeaway (if you looked for it) that part of the underlying reasoning was sorta nefarious.

BoP recalled as many copies as they could post-911 (don’t wanna further embarrass the Saudis) and classified it…maybe that’s why the group missed it. Interesting how these aggrieved groups never seem to be aggrieved at religious groups who just might come back and kick their asses.

20. @ChicagoBri says:

#Chiraq: Chief judge says there have been no “horrible incidents” under his affordable bail program. These people might disagree, if they only they were still alive.

21. Robert Smith says:

I saw Ford v. Ferrari film yesterday, Friday night. Great movie.

I really posted this because at the end there was a good round of applause which hardly ever happens at movies now. And the moviegoers was almost completely a family crowd which is very rare other than a cartoon or superhero movie.

Go figure. Men doing risky men things is something people might be interested in.

22. Timmy-the-Ute says:

The Holidays are never safe.

23. Lucille says:

South China Sea Crisis: Beijing defied by Philippines in power move as tensions rise
    US Military Times – Published on Nov 20, 2019

24. Lt Col Covfefe999 says:

I’m watching Easy Rider on the Movies! channel. Full of great music, they just played a Jimi Hendrix song “If 6 Was 9”. (Should be “were”, oh well.) Hendrix was phenomenal, so talented, and he had such a beautiful and unique voice. What a time, eh?

25. Troublemaker10 says:

26. Lucille says:

North Korea defectors: Mothers who have escaped North Korea speak out
    Fox News – Published on Nov 23, 2019

27. lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

28. A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

29. David says:

Striking similarities between Schiff and Beria who was the head of secret police of Stalin.