Ode to Joy

For friends, sick and suffering. For those downtrodden, forgotten. For all who struggle to make ends meet, for the tired, the hopeless, the despairing, the lonely.

For those who face the end of this life, and those still, as my church calls us, members of the Church Militant, as we fight the good fight through the grace of God.

All joy is from God, and ultimately, if we trust, have faith, have hope, have love in Him, all becomes joy.

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

192 Responses to Ode to Joy

1. nearly_departed says:

DX with relapsing/remitting MS. Went from fit (bench press 250 lbs. And running 3 miles in the a.m. and 5 mi. pm ) and healthy to cane, to crutches to power chair because I didnt’t have the strength to push use a manual chair, in 2 years. Neede help to dress sometimes and even to pee.

I was confined to the chair for 10 years just getting worse with secondary progressive MS
    Many people prayed over me over the years.Then by God’s grace, and prayer and a Priest with the gift if healing, prayed over me, (omitting many deatils for brevity), the next Sunday, I woke up and walked. A week later I walking my service dog and ended up RUNNING 2 about 200 yards. No atrophy after 10 years of non-use of my legs.

MS Dr. Told me not medically (possible. Still put it in my records as a miraculous event. (You could see the mental battle between the science side and faith side play out in his mind. Faith won).

Multiable blessings involved. When I was first Dx’d I was only married for 3 years. We took our vows seriously. She is still here. This year we will be married 30 years

2. MightyMustardSeed says:

Menagerie,

Thank You. We Treepers are in much need of Spiritual refreshment.

The Spirit has given you this beautiful message today, and I am writing to ask if you would consider sharing, what The Spirit has given you, with us each Sunday Morning. Our souls are in need of encouragement.

I look forward to your posts, they keep my eyes focused on solution, not the problem, and they keep my feet firmly planted on the rock.

• Pale rider says:

A nugget I received this week.
      If you find yourself stuck In life, you need to think bigger. For me, it fits in every situation.
      Might help someone.

• Menagerie says:

I am a beggar before the Lord. I have nothing but the treasures he gives me, but this is what I know from this wonderful video.

We are meant to be creatures of worship, not for Him, but for ourselves, and only in releasing that worship, and in particular when “two or more come together” do we find our greatest joy.

Did you see the expressions of the faces of people, young, old, and the need to sing? I am betting there were athiests there in that crowd who could not stop the reaching of their soul for its God and could not hold back their voice. I am betting there were those who did not know the words, children included, who hummed along out of absolute necessity.

God did not give Beethoven this particular inspiration for Beethoven. It is a love song for us, and a love song for us to give back to Him. And it isn’t in the words alone that love is best expressed. The very music is our love, the love we humans are unable to perfectly express in words. This our soul knows.

• bertdilbert says:

Thank you for posting your treasures.

• ivehadit says:

So, so true.

• mariner says:

Thank you, Menagerie for finding and showing this to us.

It’s nice to see a flash mob bringing something positive.

• wlbeattie says:

My wife came into the room as I was listening to this and asked me to replay it from the start and we sat there together and enjoyed it – although we both ended up err-hummm tearful!

• MightyMustardSeed says:

Thank You Menangerie. We really are beggars, telling other beggars where to find bread. Yes, we were, made to praise Him, and GOD inhabits the praises of His people people Psalm 22

So treasure the outpouring of hearts and testimonies on this post. That is why I am asking for more bread please.

• Menagerie:

You have said something very deep here, very, deep and of understanding!

God did indeed, design us to be creatures of the worship of God, but I wonder how many people realize that in doing that, He designed and created us with an incomprehensible capacity of joy, because when you worship God in the state of a perfect heart towards and for Him, you are in perfect harmony with perfect Love. God is Love.

Everybody has different kinds of experiences with the Lord. A couple of mine have led me into a realm of His great Presence and Beauty 3 times in past years that no earthly attempt of words here could begin to convey. And in those places of experiences in the past, I can tell you, worshiping God in His Presence is so life/light giving, that you are almost begging Him to be released of all earthly life because the best down here cannot begin to compare to the “least” up there. Earth’s brightest colors are all black compared to the least of color in His world and existence. Of course, there is no least there. And I have been keeping all this in mind thinking about PatrickHenryCensored.

You mention Beethoven. Great example to inject into your thought.

Some have said he turned atheist, but Sir Nicholas Harnoncourt said differently when he said no atheist could have written Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis, a most beautiful Mass that I have written volumes of material to because of the power and beautyand inspiration of it . I think I read somewhere that Beethoven said that God had never forsaken him.

To your point, such a massive piece of noble music is the kind of thing that God has blessed composers to write, yes, not for themselves, but for the hearers and recipients of such glorious music. When we are blessed to create and develop certain noble things, we need to keep this in mind…it is not for us, but for others who God intends to be blessed by those efforts.

Thank you for offering your insight about this.

Shalom

• Anon says:

Thanks

• Super Elite says:

I don’t know the words….. and the music made me cry.

3. nearly_departed says:

Hit submit too soon. It was all only God’s grace. God plans VERY long term. Think of the poem “footprints in the sand”, (I think that is what it is called).

4. Suzanne says:

Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks Sundance. I don’t know about anyone else here but I seriously needed that reminder.

5. Suzanne says:

6. Bradley says:

If this is Europe, this will probably be illegal in like 20 years.

7. Call for Honesty says:

This public performance is worth more than a thousand public gatherings of screaming activists. This is how we should drown them out.

8. Pa Hermit says:

TY Menagerie, YOU MADE MY DAY!

9. DaughterofLiberty says:

THAT was exceptional!!! How delightful to see the joy and expressions on the people’s faces. How wonderful to remember that THIS is ‘who we are’, Once the video concludes, there is a collage of additional videos to click on to – the march of the bagpipers through a small Scottish town on their way to the Highland games is fantastic. These images remind us of who we are, of our traditions, our nationalism, our identity. The hope, plan and goal of the evil ones is to cause us to lose our traditions, our identity – because, without our national identities we become lost and easily manipulated, ready to be molded into something else.

And please remember, Franklin Graham has called us to a national day of prayer for His Excellency, our President. If you haven’t already, please lift him, his family and staffers up in prayer for wisdom and protection from the incessant demonic driven attacks from the Godless fascists.

10. Paintingal says:

There are flash mobs, and then there are FLASH MOBS!
    This is so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes.
    And a memory, of walking down the aisle almost 48 years ago, to this music.
    Ode To Joy. Thank you so much, Menagerie.

11. mopar2016 says:

Excellent!
    I spent four hours with my mom, she is recovering from a fall.
    Just got home and turned on CTH.
    Wonderful article, thanks Menagerie.

12. Tereese says:

Amen Menagerie! Father told us today at mass that one of the young Missionary of Charity sisters passed away last week, but 2 weeks before she died, she wrote a letter to her brother who is a Priest. She told him that they will see and embrace each other in the Eucharist! May God grant all of His children, the grace to see and embrace each other in Holy Communion…in Jesus’ name – all Praise, Glory, Honor and Thanksgiving, to the Risen Christ! Amen

13. David R. Graham says:

Catalonians have a feel for music and freedom, historically deep, unique, and delicious. Pablo Casals was Catalonian, as was Victoria de los Angeles.

14. This could not have come at a more perfect time. Our mother just passed away this morning, a victim of an afternoon home invasion in October. God always looks over us. He is our refuge in our greatest time of need. Thank you Sundance. From the bottom of my heart.

15. kallibella says:

Thank you Menagerie! That was beautiful!
    The joy of the Lord is my strength, Nehemiah 8:10.
    Happy Lord’s day to all!

16. Skippy says:

TCTH, WETA is replaying Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Concert at the O2
    Silver-anniversary concert of the stage musical, in London. With Alfie Boe, Nick Jonas, Norm Lewis, Matt Lucas and Lea Salonga.Les Miserables. Please look it up to listen as I did last night. Simply wonderfu, encouragingl and free.

17. Caius Lowell says:

Don’t want to be a downer, but this video from Spain was posted in 2012, so there has been seven years of unrelenting socialism and demographic invasion to destroy the kind of social trust and excellence that made this video possible. CL wants to be wrong about this, but he fears he isn’t…

• Phil aka Felipe says:

…but God has not changed.

He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

• Rudy says:

But think of this…2012 was a very dark year. obammy being re elected. ISIS on the rise. etc. Very dark. And yet people on the street showing this powerful joy and hope.
      Glass half full in this case, I believe.
      Also with the msm being as it is, we only have a fuzzy idea about how things are in Spain and elsewhere now.
      Just sayin’.

• Menagerie says:

I know. I have posted this before. But you’re right. I’m sure that God has given up in the last seven years in the face of socialism. It’s so much worse than any other things He has faced since Adam and Eve listened to the serpent.

• Maquis says:

💥

• Caius Lowell says:

So socialism’s not a problem? Good to know! How ’bout a Fresca?

• In the face of the degradation of humanity and society trending its way toward hell itself, we still read and rejoice in the great works of God as written in the Scriptures, yet look what has happened in the world since then.

The debauchery of the Roman Empire and the subsequent collapse of it. Just one of many examples.

Then there was the Dark Ages, but God inspired men and blessed them to produce artworks, great music, inventions…and light came in and birthed the Renaissance. New hymns were written, Greater understanding of the Scriptures came about.

The idea is, no matter how bad it looks, God is Absolute and Sovereign and is free to interject light, life, power, healing and great grace of the ministry of the Body of Jesus Christ in any time frame, place and location He so chooses. Psalm 115:3…our God is in Heaven and He does what He pleases.

I believe He will do that one more time before He returns. After all, Paul the apostle did say that Jesus was coming back for a glorious church without spot or wrinkle. Well, since no word of God, not even one jot or tittle of it, can fail, then that holy word must come to pass no matter how dark, evil, wicked and sinful present day society is. Now, He may have to uproot and tear down whole world foundations to get His people together and back in a pure and holy state they were in the New Testament church, but He is God and He can do it. Nothing is too hard for the Lord to do.

He knows those who are His. And He comes close to those who are of a humble and contrite heart and spirit.

Paul also wrote and prophesied that in the last days, men would wax worse and worse, and that men would be lovers of pleasure and themselves. Are we not witnessing the actual, exploding fulfillment of those inspired words of God today?

In light of that, let us rejoice in the power of the Word of God, because one thing will eventually lead to the other, the time when God chooses to wrap this world’s present order up and begin the prophesied order of Scripture to do away with all evil and restore His Creation when Satan will finally be bound forever, never again to corrupt the Creation.

I pray for the Lord to enlighten our eyes of understanding so that we may see further into the revelation of His knowledge, grace, love and mercy.

Peace and blessing to all here.

18. bour3 says:

I like it played fast like this.

19. Phil aka Felipe says:

Menagerie, thanks for posting ‘Ode to Joy’! Very Up-Lifting!

20. drdeb says:

This brought tears to my eyes, dear Sundance. What a fitting addition to my day. Today has been a day of Prayers for the Safety and Well-being of Our President and for All He Holds Dear. To know that Christians throughout the nation have been joining us in prayer gives me much Faith and Strength.
    God Bless America, God Bless Each of You and God Bless President Trump!

21. Deb says:

St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us.

Our Lady of Good Help, pray for us.

St. Kateri, pray for us.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, pray for us!

In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

22. Maquis says:

The young girl that first placed a tip in the hat sure got her money’s worth.

23. tonyE says:

Sabadell? I’ll be darned.

I got family there. One of my great uncles moved there after the War ( Civil War that is ).

My cousins took us there for dinner once on Sunday, to a steak house.. where they you cooked your meat on a slab of very hot stone they brought you. Ventilation was like at Benihanas. And, miracle of vernal miracles! After dinner, while my cousins were all smoking their cigarettes and the cafes were flowing, I wished upon a cigar… my oldest cousin waived someone and out of nowhere a box of assorted Romeo And Julietas was brought to me. ( I did it again at Puigcerda a few days later…).

Aaaaaah… the Old Country. Gotta love that old Iberian/Phoenician/Etruscan/Visigoth/Franc/Navarran/Catala DNA. (Hint… they can take that “latino” crap and shove it… I can trace my DNA 2000+ years).

But, seriously, you should hear -experience- the Sardana at the Barcelona Cathedral. A flash mob every Sunday at noon. THAT will show that God never gives up for Earthly politics. We survived Franco and the Protetant Reformation…

😉 for the latter one…. serious about the former.

24. Jan Pauliny-Toth says:

Thank you. Tears in my eyes, I am struggling to maintain countenace. Bless you.

25. clipe says:

If you have a sharp eye you will spot Old Glory amongst the British patriotic displays.

26. wyoskeptic says:

Thank you Menagerie. I needed to see this today. Not for any particular reason, but it was just something I needed. Ode to Joy is one of my favorites, but for personal reasons Amazing Grace (particularly with bagpipes) is my all time go to.

I am HFA (high functioning Autistic) so I tend to be a loner. At times I admit to being a happy hermit. I’ve overcome two addictions in my life now, alcohol in my late twenties and cigarettes after smoking 1-2 packs a day for over forty years. I was truly lost until about 2005 when I began learning about autism and discovered that is what I was. Until then I had no answers, only questions and those I sought out answers from had no answers or explanations for me.

I have been asked if I believe in God, but to me that is the wrong question to ask. What does it matter if I do or I do not. The important point is that I know God believes in me. I know this because at the toughest times in my life, I never felt alone. Nothing was ever given to me that I didn’t earn by hard work, but at those times when I was down to my last dime with no relief in sight, something always came along to tide me over until things got better.

It is not God’s purpose to make things easy for anyone. Having everything given to one only makes that person not appreciate it. That which is earned is so more highly valued. What God has done for me through my life is make it so that I could earn what I needed. When things were bad and I could not do so, enough was directed my way so that I could get by until I could earn my way once again.

I am not much for going to Church nor am I swayed by what others tell me I must do or mustn’t do.
    When this life of mine is past, I will stand before Him in in the Grand Hall in Heaven and it will be between Him and me as to how I have lived this life. No doubt there is much I have fallen short on, but He gave me the mind to think for myself and the courage to pursue what I saw as right. If I am in error, I will willingly partake in any punishment I deserve. But to me it is a bigger sin to do what others think is right and may not be, or to avoid doing what others think to be wrong and I believe to be right. I will face the consequence of my actions or my inaction, and it will be just me standing before Him without any of those who may have counseled me one way or the other. So, to me it is important to do what I think is right and not do what I think is wrong, for that is why He has given everyone the ability to think for themselves and to decide for themselves.

• Menagerie says:

I have two young grandsons who are autistic. Our family is learning the struggle you have faced. Thank you for commenting, and sharing your story.

They are very young, and yes, they have difficulty relating to other children in particular, but they are part of a large and loving family, they get a lot of support, professional and personal, and it is my hope and prayer that they will be able to have friendships and be a part of community.

Jesus built a community because we do need each other. There just might be people out there who need you and your experiences.

• I cried watching this!

• wyoskeptic says:

Thank you for your gracious reply.

One of the first truisms I learned about Autism is that “If you know someone who is Autistic, you know ONE person who is Autistic.” While there may be similarities and enough common characteristics as to describe those who are so affected, the one thing that remains true about all is that they are very much unique unto themselves, just as all of those who are not autistic are unique. The label defines those commonalities, not the person.

I am open to the community around me. In this post I referred to the reasons I believe there is a God and the way in which He as aided me. I did not mean to imply that it is only in the tough times that aid has appeared. By the same token, I feel that I have been placed where I was in position and able to help some who needed the help. It is very much a situation where what goes around comes around. Others have helped me, I have helped others. To me that is sufficient.

But I believe very much that a person must go by that which is inside them to guide them as they travel all the paths of their life. In the forks that appear in those paths, those which are not chosen can be as important as those which were chosen and that to some extent, the choices made are often guided by that which is beyond our own selves and our own understanding. To believe in one’s self and to understand that some choices are from beyond one’s own self gives a person both the courage to undertake that path regardless of what hurdles it presents and the knowledge that it may well have been given you to undertake, not for your own gain as such, but that in doing so it results in helping and aiding someone else who may need it.

For me it is not wise to try and tell others how to live, but rather to demonstrate by the simple method of living it one’s self: this is often the best way to help others. In this it is important to remember that all it ever takes for evil to succeed is for the good person to do nothing. But trying to hustle around “doing good” is often worse medicine than simply going around doing the best one can with the information and resources one has to work with.

To me, to live life with as much joy and love as one can is the greatest deterrent to evil that can be found. Having lived such, evil’s victories are but temporary, and in the long run, without meaning.

• Menagerie says:

I hope that my grandsons will gain the wisdom and empathy you have as they travel their roads. And yes, I know about the vast differences in how autism presents from person to person, and having two of the boys drives home the point. They have many similar challenges and problems, and yet, so many big differences.

My heart is a little heavy because I know they will have some very tough times, and because I know they will be hurt, but they are so bright, so wonderful. Their differences are beautiful and there is something I just cannot vocalize about them. I love everything about them. They are treasures in a way I could never have understood without being their grandmother.

• wyoskeptic says:

Yes, I do understand the heaviness in your heart. The world is not kind to those who are Autistic, but when it comes right down to it, the world is not all that kind to a lot of individuals.

When I think about this and start to feel a little sorry for myself, I tend to think of Bill Porter. (If you are not familiar with the man’s story, simply internet search for Bill Porter, Portland’s door to door salesman.)

In a nutshell, Bill suffered from Cerebral Palsey. At a young age, he was told he was unemployable and that he should take disability. He refused. He convinced Watkins to give him a job selling door to door and he became the company’s top salesman. He sold door to door for over 45 years. He died in December of 2013.

He lived alone and he never wanted any pity. He spoke and walked with great difficulty. He used one crippled hand to type out his daily sales orders on an old manual typewriter.

20/20 broadcast his story. The actor William H. Macy portrayed Porter in the television movie “Door to Door,” in 2003.

I’ll include some excerpts from the Oregonian: ( https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2013/12/bill_porter_portlands_famed_do.html )

[ …Bill touches us so profoundly, apparently, because he reminds us of who we all set out to be. And where we would like to go. He is, first of all, someone from our own branch of the human family. Almost none of us has the God-given talent or spiritual purity to become one of the remote, larger-than-life heroes who loom over our world. Who are we to measure ourselves against the great athlete, the skilled surgeon or the religious saint?

But Bill is a salesman. Each day, he puts his infirmities aside, screws up his courage, goes out into the world and asks others to accept what he has to offer.

So do we all.

Bill reminds us of what we were when we set out in life. He fights the war we call life every day, without complaining. Whatever the internal truth of Bill Porter, we perceive him, in his perseverance, as pure, untouched by the ills of society. He isn’t greedy. He doesn’t take handouts. He — of all of us — could produce a hundred excuses. But he never makes excuses…]

Yes, your Grandsons will face tough times and they will be hurt. But as long as they have those who truly loves them enough and takes the time to be sure they can stand on their own, they will do fine.

I know you would love to be able to take away the pain and take on their troubles so that would not have to suffer them, but that is to cheat them of the satisfaction in meeting and overcoming those challenges. Teach them well. Teach them it is okay to cry when they fall or fail, but then teach them how to get back up and try again. Teach them to smile and to ignore those who doubt them or who may mock them. Courage and strength comes from inside, not from the admiration or adoration of others. Teach them that laughter and tears are both a part of life, the first being something to enjoy and the second being something to overcome and get past. But both have value.

Take the time to teach them about Bill Porter, a man who had the deck stacked against him from the very start, but who got up every morning and gave each and every day the very best he had to give. He sold items door to door and faced rejection every step of the way. But in his determination, he taught anyone willing to look, listen, and learn what it means to live well.

I am sure your grandsons will do well. I do not mean to be preachy nor do I mean to diminish your (or anyone’s) concerns. But teach them to believe in themselves and all the rest will follow.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you for taking time to encourage me. You do not come of as preachy at all, you give encouragement a day hope, and given your experience, that really hits home with me. Thank you.

WordPress is wonky with me again and won’t let me like your comment, but I really do appreciate what you say. We have lots to teach the boys, just as they have already taught us so much.

27. GSparrow says:

Fabulous Menagerie. Thank you.

28. Mr BiG Time says:

Bravo! Thank you. Very up lifting and beautiful.

29. ainin says:

I write this with tears in my eyes. Thank you for posting this. I needed it more than I realized right now. Thank you.

30. TeeJay says:

Nothing brings people together like beautiful music. Thanks Menagerie!