It Is Finished. Good Friday.

Today we observe Good Friday, the day of the death of Jesus. Many Christian Churches have different ways of observation, to prepare us for the coming resurrection of the Lord on Easter Sunday. Today, the sacrifices we have made during Lent culminate in our internalization of the great offering of Christ’s life. If we have been diligent in our Lenten preparations, Good Friday hits us with a power and force that brings us, literally and figuratively, to our knees with the grasp of what Jesus poured out for us. It becomes personal, a tiny sliver of the cross is buried in our heart. And so each year, we find that we give ourselves over to Christ just a little more through this time of penance and reflection.

It is our wish here in the Tree that you all, so dear to us, and to each other, have a blessed and holy weekend, this most holy time of the year. May the lamb’s Good Friday sacrifice lead you to the joy we rightfully claim on Easter Sunday. This post mentions some things from my Catholic “language” or viewpoint, if you will.  I would love to have you share some of the traditions and customs from your church or family with us. Are there special observations and services at your church this weekend?

The Easter Triduum, the marking of the days of Jesus’ passion and resurrection, the  most important time of the church year, begins with the evening Mass of Holy Thursday, reaches its high point in the Easter Vigil, and closes on Easter Sunday evening. After preparing during the days of Lent, we celebrate these holiest of days in the Church year.

From John, Chapter 19:

Then Pilate tried to release him, but the Jewish leaders told him, “If you release this man, you are no friend of Caesar’s. Anyone who declares himself a king is a rebel against Caesar.

At these words Pilate brought Jesus out to them again and sat down at the judgement bench on the stone paved platform. It was now about noon of the day before Passover.

And Pilate said to the Jews, “Here is your King!”

“What? Crucify your king?” Pilate asked. “We have no King but Caesar,” the chief priests shouted back.

So they had him at last, and he was taken out of the city, carrying his cross to the place known as “The Skull,” in Hebrew, “Golgotha.” There they crucified him and two others with him, one on either side, with Jesus between them. And Pilate posted a sign over him reading “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.” The place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and the signboard was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek, so that many people read it.

Then the chief priests said to Pilate, “Change it from ‘The King of the Jews’ to ‘He said, I am King of the Jews.’ ”

Pilate replied, “What I have written, I have written. It stays exactly as it is.”

When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they put his garments into four piles, one for each of them. But they said, “Let’s not tear up his robe,” for it was seamless. “Lets throw dice to see who gets it.” This fulfilled the scripture that says, “They divided my clothes among them, and cast lots for my robe.” So that is what they did.

Standing near the cross were Jesus’ mother, Mary, his aunt, the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother standing there beside me, his close friend, he said to her, “He is your son.”

And to me he said, “She is your mother.” And from then on, I took her into my home.

Jesus knew that everything was now finished, and to fulfill the scriptures said, “I’m thirsty.” A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so a sponge was soaked in it and put on a hyssop branch and help up to his lips.

When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished,” and bowed his head and dismissed his spirit.

Today we would like to invite you to share with us your reflections, your thoughts, your favorite readings on Good Friday. We sincerely hope that you will join in this conversation as a sharing of our common faith, an active searching, united in asking in this small way for God’s blessing upon His world this Easter Triduum. So many of us see change as something that is all or nothing. We postpone the changes we need to make in our lives to improve our relationship with God because we aren’t mentally “ready” to make that leap. In reality, our path to God is made in tiny steps, small differences, the little things that take us one step closer in faith.

We ask you to join us, help us, take that step. Together and seperately, may we aid each other through our words and prayers, to make this Good Friday an opening for the light that is Christ to penetrate our darkness.

I would also like to share a paragraph from The Catechism of the Catholic Church.

In Her Magisterial teaching of the faith and in the witness of her saints, the Church has never forgotten that “sinners were the authors and the ministers of all the sufferings the Divine Redeemer endured.” Taking into account the fact that our sins affect Christ himself, the Church does not hesitate to impute to Christians the gravest responsibility for the torment inflicted upon Jesus, a responsiblity with which they have all too often burdened the Jews alone.

]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to It Is Finished. Good Friday.

1. Shark24 says:

Absolutely beautiful video. Thank you.

2. MightyMustardSeed says:

Blessed are those who love THE LORD as you do. Thank You for sharing the riches you have received from God.

3. Bugsdaddy says:

Thank you Menagerie.

• Deb says:

God bless everyone at the Treehouse. May Christ have mercy on our beloved USA.

• frankie says:

As Abraham Lincoln would say, “My concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side.”

Christ died for all of us. Sadly and ironically, Lincoln died on Good Friday too.

The concept of God Himself laying down His life as a blood sacrifice for us is too sad to contemplate, but it is the truth.

It is my belief President Trump and we who stand by him are our nation’s last chance to avoid the fate of all those empires and nations who fell before us because they lacked devotion in deeds as well as words to God.

To quote Lincoln again:

“Let’s have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.”

May God give us all the courage and wisdom to live and do right.

4. Cow wow says:

Tetelestai=Perfect Indicative verb formed from the word “telos” meaning “a goal achieved or a result attained. Commonly translated “It is finished” or “It has been finished”.
    John 19:30-“When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished”, and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.”
    Also, John 6:38-“For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.”
    God bless and keep you all.

• Ausonius says:

Glad to see the Ancient Greek comment!

Of interest is Saint Jerome’s Latin translation: Consummatum est .

The root of the verb is the adjective summus, i.e. “highest” and is derived from “Super” i.e. “beyond”, “above”, etc. “Summit” would be related.

The verb “consummo, consummare” originally meant “to add up, to find the sum” and later took on the meaning “to complete.”

“Consummate” (the ultimate) and “consummation” (completion) are of course related.

(“Consume” with the one “m” comes from a different verb.)

• InAz says:

Thank You!! Blessed Easter to all!

My last living Aunt (from both sides of family) is Catholic. She absolutely lives her Christian religion. And she always shares stories from the Bible or Scripture to teach an every day lesson. She also taught me the truth about a non profit foundation. She taught me to do diligent research on organizations etc.

• Lucy S. Overstreet says:

AMEN !

5. Rebnstx says:

For by grace are you saved through faith not of works least any man should boast. When Jesus said it is finished our sins were nailed to that cross. We walk into eternity with Him through faith because of what He accomplished. The grave & death has no power over us.

6. Coast says:

Thessalonians 5:9
    “For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ.”

7. amwick says:

Deplorable Canuck left a gift on the daily page… I wanted to pass it along here:

Ty Menagarie for the beautiful posts. Bless and keep you

8. JenMG says:

At our Episcopal church we have one of my most favorite traditions in the entire Liturgical calendar, The Stripping of the Altar. At the conclusion of the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ the lights are dimmed and the altar is stripped of flowers, linens, adornments, candles, etc. until everything is laid bare and we are left to meditate on the emptiness of the world between Jesus’ death until his resurrection.

• 4EDouglas says:

Same with my old Missouri Synod Church .
      I miss that…

• ZurichMike says:

For Catholics that is after the Holy Thursday services, with the Eucharist moved to a side altar, with the tabernacle open and the host sometimes displayed in a monstrance. At our church, there were teams of people who would keep vigil 24 hours a day until Holy Saturday. I volunteered for an early morning (3 am-5 am) shift because I get up early anyway. It was silent, tomb-like, and very “emptying” as you kneel and pray for the Resurrection.

• WSB says:

It is a beautiful service.

We participated in this last night at a Dutch Reformed church. The church dates to 1716, the physical building started in 1725.

It is small and very simple. Very beautiful.

All lights are extinguished and one candle is left burning as parishioners leave in silence.

9. bakocarl says:

“It is finished.” . . . and what a wonderful, wonderful beginning it was!

10. We the people know says:

11. Jeff P. says:

Once again Menagarie you have provided the Lords word to remind us WHY we should be Grateful for every single breath, every step, every hug, kiss, sigh, shout, even for the things that Infuriate us to no end!!
    I LOVE the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father with all my heart, mind, soul, spirit, my body and my Life! Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for the sacrifice you gave for us, the undeserving, the sinner.
    God bless you all this Good Friday. Honor our Lord, go give Alms to the poor and feed His children! Amen

12. William Schneider says:

I wept while viewing the powerful video depicting Christ’s passion. My sins were part of the cause of this pain.. I will be honoring and adoring my savior at my Catholic Church -where we will have an opportunity to publicly pay our respects and love at the cross of Christ.
    I will spend time reading the powerful book by our retired Pope Benedict XV1 Jesus of Nazerith-Holy Week. Thanks Menagerie for the beautiful post.
    I am so happy that this Easter will bring special peace to our beleaguered president Trump and his dear wife Melania. I believe he can begin to truly celebrate his exoneration from all the horrible accusations made by the Mueller gang of angry-hatefull-satinic democrats. I will be keeping Trump in prayers especially this Holy Week and Easter. Trump has been through his own Passion of sorts over the last 2 years and he can celebrate Easter in a special way this year. May God bless this man-this innocent man in many ways.

13. Tonight is also the first night of Passover. Shabat shalom and Happy Pesach to all of our Jewish treepers!

14. andyocoregon says:

Look Ma! No protesters!

15. ms Idaho` says:

Menagerie – No church. i am going to try my best to convey my appreciation for your contributions as well as my view of life and giving.

When i was a teenager I got pregnant, married and divorced. I have been told that much of my early angst was because my parents had divorced and I was doomed to search for the father who ‘left me’. Certainly most of the men in my early life failed as father figures.

My catholic beginnings are far behind me. The twists and turns of my life have been fascinating – but not ‘holy’. Then, about 35 years ago I met and married a really nice man. We hold each other’s hearts & hands and together we do what we can to help others. He is retired, now, but was a very well versed and caring medical doctor. We believe in God, but not in any formal religious entity with a priest or pastor to tell us the meaning of scripture or God’s plan for us.

Today we remember in sorrow that Jesus died for us at the bidding of his heavenly father. Of course, that is a gross oversimplification about the magnitude of his sacrifice.

What I would like to convey is that in a very very small way, we too have only ourselves to give to each other. We can give ‘things’, but things get lost & broken.

When we give of ourselves our efforts may not be appreciated. Remember, ‘when the student is ready the teacher will appear?’ The corollary is that when you try to give of yourself you may be rejected. That does not reflect badly on your efforts, but does show that the recipient of your largess and caring is not ready to change their ways or accept your offers. Not every heard then or hears now the message Jesus was sent to deliver.

However, really good, caring people providing support and prayers (as you all do) is a powerful antidote to the ugliness of much of what is happening in our nation & world today.

When we stop worrying only about ourselves we can pull our heads out of the proverbial sand and attempt to help others. Our love & caring is all we really have to give each other.

Wishing you all a quiet Good Friday full of reflection, a mournful Saturday and Happy Easter.

• Bakokitty says:

ms Idaho, your true and touching words have brought me tears. Your last line
      “ our love & caring is all we really have to give each other” is the very crux of what I believe Jesus came to teach us.

First Corinthians 13:13 says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” This comes just after Paul’s eloquent and famous description of what true love …
      The greatest of these is love. This is what Jesus commanded us to do, Love one another.
      Thank you for your beautiful post. Blessing to you and your family ….Bkitty

• jeans2nd says:

ms Idaho, you have described the work of the Holy Spirit in your life, imo, and no one could have described it more beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. They made the day.
      And as for those who may reject your gift of yourself, they may reject you, but they will never forget you.
      Blessed Easter Weekend to you and yours.

• nikkichico7 says:

ms Idaho ….

Numbers 6:24-26 New King James Version (NKJV)
      24 “The Lord bless you and keep you;
      25 The Lord make His face shine upon you,
      And be gracious to you;
      26 The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
      And give you peace.”

• ms Idaho` says:

Thank you for your kind words Bakokitty, Jeans2nd and Nikkichico7. plus the folks who liked my post. Here is a link to my husband’s website, jjConsulting.net. I know people here often have health issues – and we add them to our prayers when the need is known – Dr Jones offers alternatives for medical issues if anyone is open to well researched and knowledgeable information.
      It has been our dedicated work for all these years we have been together. Retirement means you leave things behind ….

16. John Denney says:

Jesus cried out from the cross, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?”

Many do not know that He was quoting the first line of Psalm 22, written by King David about a thousand years before. It reads as though someone were taking dictation of Jesus’ thoughts as He hung on the cross.

I am a worm and not a man,
    A reproach of men and despised by the people.
    All who see me sneer at me;
    They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying,
    “Commit yourself to the LORD; let Him deliver him;
    Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.” — v 6-8

I am poured out like water,
    And all my bones are out of joint;
    My heart is like wax;
    It is melted within me. — v. 14

For dogs have surrounded me;
    A band of evildoers has encompassed me;
    They pierced my hands and my feet. — v.16

They divide my garments among them,
    And for my clothing they cast lots. — v. 18

Even Jesus’ final words, “It is finished” match the final verse of Psalm 22:

They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!

Done what? It doesn’t say. One must read Isaiah 53, written about 700 B.C., to know.

Psalm 22 was a very strange thing for the king of Israel to write; it made no sense until the Crucifixion. But on his deathbed, King David said:

“The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me,
    And His word was on my tongue.” — 2 Samuel 23:2

17. PInky1920 says:

We, as Christians, embrace the Glorious Cross of Christ, the tree of our salvation.

Just as he did, we too, must embrace the crosses of our lives; without them, there is no resurrection.

The night of Passover is almost here; he passes, once again, delivering us from the slavery of sin and death, just as he delivered the Israelites thru the sea, the sea of death.

My Catholic Faith is life itself.

18. Ausonius says:

Marvelous little musical work of meditation…

American composer Karl Henning’s “Nicodemus Brings Myrrh and Aloes for the Burial of Christ”

19. Vito Romano says:

• straightstreet says:

Thank you Jesus for Your sacrifice of Yourself on the cross for me! All praise and honor and glory belong to You forever and ever! Amen! \0/

20. Richard says:

My Bible reading for today, by “coincidence”, was Hebrews 10:

“For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? 3 But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,

“Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
    but a body have you prepared for me;
    6 in burnt offerings and sin offerings
    you have taken no pleasure.
    7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
    as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’”

8 When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), 9 then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. 10 And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

15 And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them
    after those days, declares the Lord:
    I will put my laws on their hearts,
    and write them on their minds,”

17 then he adds,

“I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”

18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.”

21. andre says:

Lifted up was He to die
    It is finished was His cry
    Now in heaven exalted high
    Hallelujah what a Savior!

22. Mandy says:

We Orthodox are, this year, one week behind y’all. It’s because we use the Julian Calendar and the original calculation method for Pascha, so we are together one out of every 10 years or something like that. Some years we’re quite a few weeks apart. We’re never before y’all, most often anywhere from one to four weeks behind you. The Canons demand that the Lord’s Resurrection never be celebrated until AFTER the jews celebrate their passover. The Gregorian Calendar reforms occasionally violate those canons. The old calculation, which we still use, does not – but it means we’re not together most years.

An aside – the US was fairly late in adopting the Gregorian (1752). George Washington was born on the Julian Calendar!

23. Whphilippjr@aol.com says:

That the Son of God would choose to separate himself from the Father and take on my sin that I might be adopted into His eternal family? Thank you Jesus that you didn’t decide you were too tired, too busy, too selfish that evening and that you climbed up on that cross for me. FOR ME!!!

24. NJF says:

This is a beautiful thread Menegerie. Happy Good Friday all.

25. Patriot1783 says:

God Bless you and yours Menagerie, thank you for your posts ❤️

26. Menagerie says:

Thank you all for the kind words and prayers. You guys are awesome, and I look forward with you to celebrating the risen Christ on Easter Sunday.

27. Blind no longer says:

Thank you Menagerie for these wonderful posts leading up to Christ’s crucifixion to his ascension! I love to watch Jesus of Nazareth on Easter weekend. It is one of my favorite movies and actually was the reason I rededicated my life to the Lord at a young age. God’s Blessings to you all.
    HE IS RISEN!!!

28. Rgt says:

Many years ago as a teenager just stepping out on my own I used to ask what the meaning of life was. Once an old colleague told me to pay attention and I might learn the answer. After that I realized it was up to me to learn what the meaning of my life was to be. And there have many lessons both joyous and sobering. As I approach the end of my time on earth I am grateful for the lessons learned and realize the meaning of life was learning them.

29. slowcobra says:

As I was in church during holy week, reading about peter betraying jesus, I could not help thinking of our dear president trump. Imagine how PDJT has been feeling for two years… betrayed and denied repeatedly.
    Today during the noon-3 vigil in our church, I wept when I touched jesus on the cross.
    I prayed extra for PDJT this holy week. God bless PDJT and God bless America. Happy Easter to all my fellow treepers.

30. dwhitehurst says:

Philosophers have measur’d mountains,
    Fathom’d the depths of the seas, of states, and kings,
    Walk’d with a staff to heav’n, and traced fountains:
    But there are two vast, spacious things,
    The which to measure it doth more behove:
    Yet few there are that sound them; Sin and Love.

Who would know Sin, let him repair
    Unto mount Olivet; there shall he see
    A man so wrung with pains, that all his hair,
    His skin, his garments bloody be.
    Sin is that press and vice, which forceth pain
    To hunt his cruel food through ev’ry vein.

Who knows not Love, let him assay
    And taste that juice, which on the cross a pike
    Did set again abroach, then let him say
    If ever he did taste the like.
    Love is that liquor sweet and most divine,
    Which my God feels as blood; but I, as wine.

by George Herbert

31. Libertry ONE says:

THANK YOU Menagerie and the CTH for posting these very moving articles, pictures etc. HE is the Truth, the Way & the Life, without Him we are nothing. HE gave His life so that we may have eternal life with Him. God bless to all and a Blessed Easter. He has Risen!

32. pacnwbel says:

I believe that a person cannot feel the full joy of Easter Sunday unless he or she has walked through Holy Week in it’s entirety at least once in a lifetime. Each service from Palm Sunday through Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Saturday Vigil and flinally Easter can so eloquently prove to us over and over again what the scriptures have told us through thie ages of the Messiah who would bring redemption for the sins of the world.
    I wish that Good Friday would still be respected as a Holy Day in today’s world of crass hedonism and sales, that people could stop and reallize the impact of Jesus’ supreme sacrifice commemorated on this day.
    My Anglican church offered the service of Tenebrae, (the shadows), so very moving with Gospel readings interspersed with music, poetry and meditation, and replete with the darkness, thunder crash of the crucifixion. Tonight we will keep the Vigil at the tomb, rejoice tomorrow when the women discover the tomb is empty and that Christ is risen. Alleluia, Alleluia!