Thursday March 21st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

266 Responses to Thursday March 21st – Open Thread

1. ruralnc6 says:

Happy Cursday, my favorite day of the week. You all helped me so much 3 weeks ago when I had to send my blind, diabetic dog to Heaven. THANK YOU!!!

By chance a few days ago I found a video that provides Much Honor to CURSDAY and have waited for today to present it to you. Warning…at least for me, I needed a tissue at the 2-minute mark, not that anything bad happened, but because at that point I was reminded of how our animals have an innate understanding of how we all should take care of those around us. I thank our animals for their lessons.

2. Zippy says:

Why are SJWs so Physically Unattractive?

3. phattcat says:

Happy Cursday

4. czarowniczy says:

The AKC just released its latest ranking of dogs owned by Americans and the Labrador Retriever is Number One again. CAIR is expected to soon release its list of Muslim owned dawgz in America with Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar and Chuck Schumer expected to top the list.

5. Dora says:

This is amazing! It looks a little bit like Nevada.

6. Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Hello Fellow “Treepers”,
    I have never commented on this site before, but have been reading and following as a way to keep sane during the melee of the 2016 election. As you all know, this was one of the few places that one could obtain some sane political analysis (Thank you, Sundance!). I highly respect this community, it’s values, and the intelligent nature of generally everything I see here.

So, with this in mind, I am appealing to this community for advice. I currently live in Humboldt County California, and have always felt fortunate to live and grow up here. It was not until I returned from the Navy in the early 2000’s and everything that has taken place in California since that I have come to be horrified by the insanity that rules this state. So far, the effects have been minimal here behind the Redwood curtain, but I do not believe that will be the case much longer. I am increasingly of the opinion I need to take my small family out of this bastion of communism before it is too late.

Question is, Where? This is where I am appealing for suggestions, as it is really hard to judge the culture of a place from afar. Tennessee has been on the top of my list for some time, as it seems good, God fearing Americans are still in charge there. Trump was elected by a wide margin, recent legislation protecting Life was approved widely…good 2nd amendment state too. I have written off any other west coast states, and yes, Texas and Arizona too, as I believe those states will all follow California into the deep blue within the next decade thanks to illegal immigration. I am a licensed builder, and I just want to know that I am moving into a place that will still be governed by American ideals into my old age. I only want to move once, as my children are young, and I want them deeply rooted in a place that will help them understand the beauty of what it means to be an American.

Thank you for your time, and God Bless you all!

Jeremy

• andyocoregon says:

There will soon be plenty of work for quite a while for builders in Nebraska and other midwestern states hit hard by flooding and tornadoes recently. And you’ll find lower housing costs for your family home.

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Thanks Andy! I had not been considering Nebraska, but I will definitely check it out. Lower housing cost is a huge issue, as half a million doesn’t get you much here in the “golden state”. God Bless!

• carterzest says:

I escaped the Peoples Republic of Portland and now live in the Boise Idaho area. Great climate, short winters, long summers and recreation opportunities abound. My good friend Cal lives in Humboldt area. If you ever see it, buy Humboldt Hotsauce. It is really good stuff. I especially like the Mango Habenero. 😉

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Congrats on leaving Portland! Other than that massive book store, I couldn’t find a reason to go back. I have been to Boise many times, and I really liked it. My martial arts instructor is based out of there, so it would be an easier transition for sure. He jokes that coming to California is like going to the zoo to see wild animals. I was not aware that the winters were short…all I ever hear is how cold it is, lol. Truthfully, I was a little concerned about Boise, because SO many Californians/ west coasters have moved there. I heard a funny joke not too long ago, that the most annoying sound in the world was, “Hi, i’m your new neighbor, I just moved here from California!” Are you seeing any political effects from the transplants? Having grown up in the fictional “State of Jefferson”, I will never vote for bigger gov, or higher taxes!

Man, do I love the Mango Habenero sauce! Take care, and God Bless!

• carterzest says:

I have Paradise Camp Fire refugees on each side of me. Both conservative households. We live outside of BOI in Star. BOI is Lib central, but expect this state to stay red for a long time.
          Fireworks are legal in my city, gun shops all around. First time in my 51 years I voted the way my state voted in the last 2 elections. Woot! Housing is creeping up but 500k gets you a McMansion. 2600sf, 10 foot ceilings, 3 car garage, gated community with community pool and walking paths and lakes next to the BOI river. 290k in 2015, valued at 430 now thanks to Californication. I pay $100/yr forirrigation, 30/month for water sewer. It’s nuts how affordable it is.

We got over the colder winters as it’s sunny close to 300 days a year here. 😉

• Mandy says:

Sadly, I do not believe there is any place in America which will be governed by traditional American ideals for too much longer. That said, the ‘flyover country’ middle part is okay. It’s definitely not great, but it may take a little longer for the complete destruction to occur.

Some suggestions for seeking your new home area:

Check demographics and MURDER RATES for any areas you’re considering. If you’re looking at small towns, check all the larger cities that are around it. Knowing that for years, law enforcement has been using various techniques to hide crime (see the book ‘The Crime Numbers Game’). This is why it’s good to check murder rates: murders are harder for them to hide – those pesky bodies, doncha know.

If you would like to avoid heavily muslim dominated areas, check out this link – all you have to do is put in a zip code and you’ll be able to see if the area is already infiltrated with Sharia law advocates.

Also, if you seek to find an area of like minded folks, this link may come in handy. It’s an interactive map of the 2016 election which goes all the way down to PRECINCT LEVEL.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you and your family.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Welcome to the TreeHouse Jeremy.

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Thanks for the warm welcome, Big Mama:) This is one of three sites I have read daily since I decided that Donald Trump was actually a GREAT presidential candidate.

• amwick says:

I was born in Pasadena, but my family moved before the crazy set in. Tennessee is lovely..I would also look into basics like state income taxes etc… just sayin’.

Good luck and don’t be a stranger.

• lotbusyexec says:

Jeremy, I’ve live/lived in NY (Cortland, Syracuse, Manhattan, White Plains) but have also lived in Martha’s Vineyard, MA, Manhattan Beach CA, Champaign-Urbana IL, Block Island, RI. I have also traveled extensively throughout the USA and there has never been a place that I could not see calling “home”. BUT where I see myself LIVING and enjoying life is with zest is Savanah Georgia. Don’t know why BUT I just see myself there (probably has to do with art/funk. That being said, the bottom line is I believe we all can be happy anywhere but it would be a hell of a lot nicer to be surrounded by Treepers. When are we having our picnic/conference? I would be thrilled to one day catch up with any of you. Imagine TCTH family gathering — just WOW!

• amwick says:

I am in the tippy top of GA right now… It is a nice state too….

• WSB says:

Greetings, Jeremy! BTW, there is nothing like Block!!!

I have been thinking about leaving the Hudson Valley for West Virginia or Tennessee. I understand Tennessee has a provision in its constitution that keeps the larger urban areas from outweighing representation in other parts. One of our Treepers posted a few months ago. Worth checking into.

As far as Savanah, it is beautiful. However, when we visited in June the temperature was 99 with 100% humdity, which lasted for about an hour before God’s buckets tipped over and drenched everything.

After it poured, the humidity went right back up to 100%. 😁

And many thanks for your service!

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Hi WSB,
            Funny you should mention the provision in the Tennessee constitution posted about here, because that is exactly what got me thinking about Tennessee! It seems that many of the west coast states are having exactly that issue, where a small contingent of coastal communists are able to “wag the dog”, despite large enclaves of red counties in the inland areas.

Yes, living in a very temperate area and working a physical job, I am mentally preparing for the change in climate (the humidity, not the hoax, lol). I lived in VA for 7 years during my service, and it definitely took some getting used to. Everything I see about Tennessee I have liked so far, including the lack of personal income taxes, low property taxes, etc. The larger areas seemed to be in the bag for Hillary, but there seems to be plenty of red left to counter it, plus the constitutional provision you mentioned. It also seems to be a hug for business, which I like, as I am not interested in moving to a cheaper place but having a harder time making a living. I am used to having to hustle to get by here in Humboldt, as it takes a bit of creativity to make a living in most rural areas. Mostly, I think it would be nice to not work two months a year for free just to pay my dang taxes….

Thanks for reaching out…God Bless!

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

I can completely appreciate where you are coming from about being happy where you are, and that mind set has often forced me to consider that maybe I needed to think differently about the place I live, as there are many upsides. My grandmother and great grandmother came here during depression to escape the dust bowl. I don’t have much of a family history, but most of what history I do have is here. But, I feel I am simply waiting for the other shoe to drop with these crazies in Sacramento. Newsome talked about taxing drinking water the day he took office, and we already supply most of the state with water.
          I have considered simply sticking it out here in Humboldt, regardless of what comes….then they passed the Sanctuary ordinance. I only know a few other true conservatives here, as even the Christians seem to vote Democrat out here. I always thought of this area as conservative, remembering many Bush/ Cheney stickers back in the day, but apparently all the old conservatives have died off and we are finally drowning in the overflow of the toilet that is the bay area.

I too LOVE Savannah…my ship pulled in there for October fest about 18 years ago or so, and the whole area is simply breath taking. So much history, and everyone was so friendly. I feel that way about Georgia in general, so beautiful!

Thanks for your input…much to consider. God Bless!

• Jeremy,
            Welcome to CTH–it is a fantastic place with many astute, wise and knowledgeable participants–all drawn by the brilliant work of SD, I think.

We moved from our long time family home a few years ago for my husband’s job, to TX. We were fortunate to retain a vacation house there, as many longtime friends and family are in our former home state of VA.

I do see the trends here in TX with imported Californians, New Yorkers and others of very liberal bent. But one of the best things that keeps TX so pleasant is how many go to church here. I was struck our first Christmas here, while in the “poshest” mens’ store in town–shopping for my guys 🙂 –to hear so many men, many clearly substantive businessmen, talk about their Bible studies and church. So FWIW, I do think that faith can act as a “leaven” for the culture at large.

Also, because there is a good and diverse economy here, people get along. That is important as well, along with a decent focus on civic engagement. There is a very good business/gov’t connection here and terrifically robust volunteerism, which I think keeps folks from demonizing one another and instead focused on helping each other. That same spirit really helped Houston in Hurricane Harvey.

We love rural America and our vacation house is in a rural county with small population. It does have good schools too, but for a young family, there are fewer opportunities. Not saying you can’t think out of the box and help others in a smaller community revitalize it…that is totally possible.

Good luck on your search. Keep us posted.

• Jeremy Yanopoulos says:

Hi Wisdom,

Thank you for your input, and I am glad to hear that Texas is still God fearing. I served with many Texans, and one thing I will never forget is how much they loved their state– they all spoke of it as the land of milk and honey.

I completely agree with your sentiment about faith acting as a leaven for the community. I feel that is one of the things that hurts the completely liberal areas, is the lack of strong church presence. Libs don’t seem to get that Christian morality changed the face of civilization, and they all seem completely ready to throw the baby out with the bath water! They act as if Marx was some kind of damn hero or something, rather than a lazy, frumpy little man who rode the financial and intellectual coat-tails of others. How they think that is a suitable replacement for Christ is beyond me…

Ultimately, I have no desire to move to a place and try to change it’s character, but I am really seeking to find a place that feels right from the get-go, if that makes sense.

Thank you for input, and I hope you have a great weekend! God Bless!

7. MarcusZ1967 says:

Missouri bill which seeks to nullify virtually every federal gun control measure on the books, “whether past, present or future,” passed the Senate Thursday. SB613 would ban the state from enforcing virtually all federal gun control measures, and includes criminal charges for federal agents attempting to violate the right to keep and bear arms in Missouri.

The measure passed 23-10.

8. andyocoregon says:

Has anyone else noticed how both Ilhan Omar and A.O.C. have been using the same hand sign lately? The purposely separate their little finger from the rest. I’ve been seeing this wave more frequently by them. Does it mean anything?

9. Dora says:

She does commercials, but I haven’t seen them together in a while.

10. Dan Patterson says:

Somebody help me understand why I should trust Barr as the AG:

• BigMamaTEA says:

Because….for the moment…POTUS does. We’re still not 100% how a few of those in that link you posted are going to play-out. What that link proposes, may be correct, or may be the worst-case scenario….I’m a deep-dive researcher, and there is the possibility that one or more of those listed (besides POTUS), may turn out to be the opposite of what you’re reading. If not….POTUS will eliminate them 2020.

• Boots says:

“Because….for the moment…POTUS does.”
        —–
        POTUS trusted Sessions, too. America got Mueller because of Sessions. POTUS trusted Wray, too. Comey, also. Rosenstein, at first. That work any better?

Sorry, “just because” DJT trusts someone isn’t goog enuf reason – for me- to trust them. Not with POTUS’ track record. Even SD said POTUS is a victim of who he trusted for advice on who to appoint to various positions.

11. Sandra-VA says:

patrickhenrycensored,

Just a note to say I am thinking about you.

Many gentle hugs to you.

12. BigMamaTEA says:

13. Lucille says:

TLAIB: DEMOCRATS WERE UPSET WITH OMAR’S ANTI-SEMITISM BECAUSE OF “ISLAMOPHOBIA”
    The weapon that leftist leaders have used for years is now turned against them.
    March 21, 2019 by Robert Spencer

14. warrprin1 says:

Stupid is as stupid does. Ask Forrest Gump’s Mama.

15. Lucille says:

THIS QUICK NEWS STORY IS WORTH 90 SECONDS OF YOUR TIME!
    Black Conservative Patriot YouTube Channel

• patrickhenrycensored says:

Saw an article pointing out that some of the former mosque members had joined Al-Qaeda.

• Mandy says:

Yeah the mosque that was hit has a history of producing terrorists. Saw links to multiple articles from the past about various incidents – I think they’ve been scrubbed off the ‘net now, though.

16. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

17. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

18. highdezertgator says:

The festival of Purim (Purim means “lots” in ancient Persian) is celebrated every year on the 14th of the Hebrew month of Adar (late winter/early spring). Purim 2019 begins on Wednesday night, March 20, and continues through Thursday, March 21 (March 22 in Jerusalem). It commemorates the salvation of the Jewish people in ancient Persia from Haman’s plot “to destroy, kill and annihilate all the Jews, young and old, infants and women, in a single day,” as recorded in the Megillah (book of Esther).

• highdezertgator says:

Thursday, March 21, 2019 Daniel Greenfield
      The Endless Ages of Purim
      FTA excerpt
      If Purim had culminated with some smart power diplomacy and a lesson on tolerance, liberal Jews might be more inclined to celebrate it. Unfortunately it ends with a genocidal madman (Haman) being hung from a tree and the Jews fighting for their lives, winning and slaughtering their enemies.
      And instead of feeling guilty about it, their descendants eat pastries, dress up in costumes and get drunk. At least those of their descendants who believe in survival instead of surrender.
      Liberal Jews complain about the difference of values they have with Israeli Jews who insist on survival instead of surrender. They have an even bigger difference of values with the Jews of the Bible. And with Jews throughout history. Not to mention with the religion of the Jewish people.
      …. And if we look through history, as Mordechai did through Haman and the Persian Empire, we may be able to see them on the other side, the descendants of those who survived the whips of Egypt, the slave markets of Babylon, the armies of Rome, the sword and the flame, the concentration camp and the suicide bomber, celebrating a million holidays yet to come.

19. Just a friendly reminder….President Trump has not asked much from us as he battles to save our country but he has asked us to show up in Washington for the 4th of July; let’s not disappoint him.

Let’s make a real effort to show him that we appreciate what he’s doing for us.

Imagine if you were in his shoes and the attacks on you and your family coming at you on a daily basis….I think he needs a big turnout to not only recharge his batteries but also to let him know that he’s being appreciated by us.