House Intelligence Committee ranking member Devin Nunes has filed a $250 million lawsuit against Twitter as a media platform curator.

(Via Fox News) California GOP Rep. Devin Nunes filed a major lawsuit seeking $250 million in compensatory damages and $350,000 in punitive damages against Twitter and a handful of its users on Monday, accusing the social media site of “shadow-banning conservatives” including himself to influence the 2018 elections, systematically censoring opposing viewpoints and totally “ignoring” lawful complaints of repeated abusive behavior.

In a complaint filed in Virginia state court on Monday, obtained by Fox News, Nunes charged that Twitter wanted to derail his work on the House Intelligence Committee, which he chaired until 2019, as he probed alleged and apparent surveillance abuses by the government. Nunes said Twitter was guilty of “knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform.”

The lawsuit alleges defamation, conspiracy, and negligence, and seeks not only damages, but also an injunction compelling Twitter to turn over the identities behind numerous accounts he says have harassed and defamed him. The lawsuit is separate from Nunes’ work on the House Intelligence Committee, where he is now the ranking member.  (read more)

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, Conspiracy ?, media bias, propaganda. Bookmark the permalink.

204 Responses to Representative Devin Nunes Files Major Lawsuit Against Twitter for ‘Smears’ and ‘Shadowbans’…

1. Nagothm says:

This. We need more of this. It is the only way to force a change.

2. USA First! says:

This is great news! We just need a few of these victories and we might actually get some decent journalism and stead of the fake news and outright lies they’ve been force-feeding the American people for many years.

• oldumb says:

We will still get the fake and the lies – that is fine. But they will be forced to allow the real and truth as well.

Remember Hate Speech is Free Speech.

3. USA First! says:

4. Devin Nunes, American Hero says:

YES! Fight back, thank you.

Dude’s a hero.

5. Keith P Lyon says:

This is going to shine a lot if disinfecting light on the problem.

6. Sue Fowler says:

Good on you, Nunes. Today google would not allow my reagan email to operate until I gave them my reagan password.
    Big Brother.

7. sundance says:

as if on cue…

• covfefe999 says:

Wow, that message is scary. “Make sure your posts are in line” with their “standards”? What country is this, DPRK?

• WSB says:

Ask Jeanine.

• dbobway says:

I joined twitter 2 months ago. I got banned in 6 weeks for saying Billy Krystal was a rat.
          No threats or violent content.
          Just a rat!

• WSB says:

Love it!!! You now officially have your wings. You may also gain some relief from Devin Nunes’ law suit.

I have never imbibed those platforms…and am glad I did not! Best of luck!

• MaineCoon says:

I wonder if posted 2 separate tweets. One with “rat”. The otherwith “BIlly Krystal” and see if one or the other causes you to get blocked.

Someone with time on their hands and the inclination should set a strategy that would conclusively win a lawsuit against Twitter should target them. Have several Twitter acounts, figure out a strategy and set out to prove their bias, shadowbanning, etc.

Get some legal advice on how it can be won it court, what evidence is needed and go get it. Kinda like what Mueller did. Use their own tactics against them.

• MaineCoon says:

You could even make it a class action. Ask all twits to forward a piece of evidence.

• dbobway says:

I’m going to take the exact same tweet and change Krystal’s name.
              I was going to use the President,
              But I can’t call him a rat.
              Here is my tweet.

“Bill Krystal is a whore for slavers. He has gone from a man to a rat, with no moral clarity. Human beings could be in danger for what he’s doing.”

They locked me out until I removed that statement, for breaking tweeter rules. They gave me 14 days to remove or be forever banned.
              Cool, Huh?

• olderwiser21 says:

China – their new “social credit score” is extremely scary. This is just our own version.

• Bill Hollinger says:

These people are trying to match, then eclipse them. And sure enough, if they succeed, this will come and bite them is the ass.

• Max Tadpol says:

Sue ’em for $250m Sundance!

• Truth seeker says:

They’ll be next. I believe that this is the 1st step towards getting sites like twitter and facebook labeled as publishers rather than platforms. Publishers have greater liability related to content than platforms do. They take the stance of a platform for legality but act as publishers.

Go get em Devin!

• oldumb says:

I hope they get labeled as platforms and not publishers. As platforms it is the wild west again – free speech. As publishers they won’t allow anything that can get them sued, which is anything.

I don’t want/need them filtering speech for me. If I am offended I will move on.

• Truth seeker says:

The problem is, they’re acting as publishers now and have been for a while, by determining what content is shared and what isn’t. Then they hide under legal protection as a platform. They can’t have it both ways.

Either be a platform and allow truly free speech, stop censoring and shadow banning conservatives or continue to control content, censoring everyone and be a publisher.

Want your cake, or you wanna eat it? (Twitter)

• Sandra-VA says:

This is the resist groups at work. They mob report people they dont like until the target is banned. They do it on youtube, twitter and facebook.

8. Sherri Young says:

The discovery process will be the victory.

9. WeThePeople2016 says:

It is about time that the GOP start to fight back, well, some at least. This is going to be interesting. Since he filed in a Virginia court, I hope that he gets a Trump-appointed Judge.

• Sherri Young says:

Too bad he didn’t/couldn’t file in Texas.

• GB Bari says:

Forget ever seeing the GOP “fight back” against anything that doesn’t directly affect their personal revenue streams. Individual Republicans may, as Rep. Nunes has, but he has proven his “true grit” with his brave battles for the truth about Muh Russia and FISA Gate. So this lawsuit is an extension of that courage.

Few others besides him and President Trump display this much character.

10. Chip Doctor says:

I love it. Let’s rock n’ roll! Here comes the tsunami. Take these disgusting America hating liars down. Go Devin Go!

11. MrACC says:

Good!

12. Perhaps the executives of Twitter are going to find out what it’s like when a hunter decides that a little bird would make a great appetizer before the main course.

13. Mark L. says:

The Lois Lerner selection model. Sue the IRS.

14. drg13miami says:

Certainly a good step by Nunes to try to keep us relevant. It’s pretty good timing also. Electioneering by us is soon going to ramp up. With golems like aoc and o’dork for them, it should be fun for us!

15. twingirls (@twingirls49) says:

I saw Twitter was also censuring his mother.????????????????

16. WeThePeople2016 says:

• Roni says:

God bless Rep. Nunes….one of the few people in DC with integrity. I think he’s had it with these Silicon Valley elitists and their shenanigans. Hopefully, some of the notes from their meetings with Obama will be revealed.

17. WeThePeople2016 says:

• WeThePeople2016 says:

• WeThePeople2016 says:

• FrankieZee says:

It is about time. At least Trump is starting to have an impact on some Republicans and showing them that it is OK to fight back.

• WeThePeople2016 says:

• Bob’s Brown Ear says:

1. Me Too .vs Weinstein = counter attack Hollywood
      2. Sandman .vs CNN = counter attack MSM
      3. Operation Varsity Blues = counter attack Academia
      4. Nunes .vs Twitter = counter attack Silicon Valley
      Sometimes it seems like nothing is habbening but none of this would have been permitted to happen if she had won. The table is being set. What will #5 be? IC maybe?

• Sherri Young says:

It will be a dog pile.

18. aleksjag says:

Love it, the man has gonads. How about President Nunes in 2024?

19. amwick says:

From the complaint, page 33:

41. As a citizen of the United States of America and as a United States Congressman sworn to uphold the Constitution and laws of this great country, Nunes has a fundamental constitutional interest and entitlement to the uninterrupted enjoyment of his reputation.

This is true for each and every one of us. Devin Nunes is bringing this to the courts, it isn’t about the money,,, it is about his reputation….. I hope he wins.. bigly…

• DJ says:

“Then this will set a precedent, one that will give wingnuts pause,, at least I hope so.”
      ———————————————————————————————————–
      Yeah, doubt it. Wingnuts will be wingnuts because, well, they’re wingnuts.

Only if they are destroyed will there be victory.

• oldumb says:

loose a few lawsuits for a quarter of a billion, and you tend to pay attention.

• Retired USMC says:

This^^^^^^^^ total destruction of the left…and the best part is they are doing it to themselves.

• amwick says:

Yes… that is a good point.. but I am hoping maybe the upper echelon wingnuts, the ones that may have ties to important groups, or important jobs, those wingnuts might be scared off… But, that is probably only a small fraction of wingnuts…

20. This is a big step in the right direction, but it is not nearly enough. We are now at the beginning of the 2020 election cycle and the months are going to fly by even faster than they have been.

The tech Masters of the Universe (Google-Hate Book-Twitter) have already declared war on our President Trump and his Deplorables. They have admitted trying to throw the last election and they already started working on the next one.

The power they have to manipulate public opinion and voting cannot for one second be underestimated. It is time for every single Trump supporting government official and/or agency who has any power to take out the Big Three or at least put the brakes on their unlimited power. Take them down by any means necessary because this Country cannot afford another Demon Rat/ MSM victory.

21. technerd55 says:

Twitter, Google and Facebook are owned and operated by hard left activist. What they don’t know is how many of their employees are not of the same mindset. Discovery will be unbelievable for them as many of their secrets and practices will be exposed for all to see.

• Carrie says:

Oh yeah, the discovery phase is gonna be fun (rubbing my hands with glee 🙂 ) I’m also looking forward to getting the tech rundown on the algorithms and code and how they are biased from knowledgeable people like you!

• Roni says:

Wouldn’t it be grand if the notes from all their meetings with Obama became part of discovery, as well? I doubt they were in there just to chit chat.

• WSB says:

If I am not mistaken, there were some State Department visits during the Clinton regime. Cannot wait.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Didn’t Sundance used to post a photo with Ryan and
          a bunch of the facebook and google crowd in it? Was Jack
          in the picture? Discovery would be even better if there was
          a decisive outing of Ryan in it. Would change some more
          minds.

22. Alison Wilson says:

If a media service purposely blocks content, then they are ‘responsible’ for what is on their pages. This means that they are liable for the incitement of violence, racism, and election tampering.
    And don’t for one minute think that this platform is free from bias. Ask any of us who have had our comments removed by moderators.

23. LKAinLA says:

Seems to me Twitter has been asking for this. Hopefully more lawsuits will happen. God bless Nunes, he fights.

• oldumb says:

They all have been asking for it, that is what scares me. They want to be regulated. Regulation would require snooping on every word and control of speech by the state. Weeee.

24. Pennyjh says:

Yay!!!   Good for Congressman Nunes – it’s about time someone took Twitter to the cleaners!

25. MAGAbear says:

Nunes 2024!!!

26. Elric VIII says:

If the electorate is made fully aware that the social media companies are trying to influence the election, might the awareness of that fact possibly have an equal and opposite effect than intended?

• olderwiser21 says:

Elric – I think the electorate probably already knows that social media tries to influence elections, how could they not, and those on the socialist/communist side are perfectly fine with it.

• oldumb says:

They are convinced that they are under attack from the right. Don’t underestimate victims.

• OW21, I respectfully disagree. Many in the electorate have no idea that they are being manipulated. None. They get their news from the enemedia and it’s reinforced from what they read on FB and Twitter. If they don’t see anything but what they are fed, why would they think something else?

• olderwiser21 says:

worried – I guess it is just hard for me to believe that anyone nowadays is so ignorant as to what is happening with the media, but you may be right. It’s time for some red pills!

27. Robert Smith says:

Imagine if a winning settlement was set aside as a war chest to sue media outlets for bias and defamation. 🙂

28. John says:

If they get rid of the electorate college, the conservatives in the liberal States, (Maryland here) will probably actually come out and bother voting after decades of having no voice and not even bothering to show up. But stupid is and stupid does.

29. Truthfilter says:

I run a pro-Trump Facebook page as well as my personal FB page and I haven’t been able to login for 4 days. Facebook supposedly had technical problems a few days ago but I’m not sure now if that’s the real issue.

• steph_gray says:

I’m a member of a private pro-Trump group on FakeBook – so far no problems. Crossing fingers.

And yes FB did have big technical problems middle of the week last week – I was unable to post an event I needed to until the next day. Not related to censorship.

Yet!

• Paula Daly says:

It’s not. FB is a POS just like Google and their Crud! It’s all BS. FB has silenced me as well. Youtube is now silencing a guy that has over 1 million followers for wait for it… UFO stuff. It’s called Secure Team, that’s been on Youtube for a couple or more years, that even Google sent him an award for his 1 million followers. They now call it “Conspiracy news”. Well, they do work for Communist China now! I called my rep this morning Ralph Norman and blew up! I know him personally too.

30. Caius Lowell says:

Outstanding job Sir — get some!

31. ringoagogo says:

Election Interference!!!

32. amwick says:

Heads up peeps… I went to Congressman Nunes’ twitter account, and he is getting attacked wickedly… If anyone uses twitter and could leave a message of support??? I tried…

@DevinNunes

• olderwiser21 says:

Good on you, Amwick. I don’t tweet, but I will leave a nice email on his congress contact page. Hopefully, he or one of his aids reads CTH and knows how much support he has here.

• mrsqt says:

It wouldn’t do any good, amwick. That’s part of the problem. Twitter purposely floods accounts with negative tweets. Any positive comments would get buried. Besides, all of the paid anti-conservative accounts outweigh us by far.

• amwick says:

I understand that people here choose not to use twitter.. That’s fine.. I don’t do facebook, or any other of the big social media platforms.. But sometimes a tiny bit of help might mean something to him… I read many of the twitter replies to him, and they were viscous… really viscous and it made me wonder what this country is coming to. *sighs

33. montanadi says:

I think we Trump supporters should file a class-action lawsuit against the MSM, Hillary, Obama and Biden for defamation.

34. montanadi says:

35. Revenant says:

The suit has to survive a motion to dismiss. If he gets the right judge, discovery wont be stayed while the motion to dismiss is being decided.

If it does get stayed, he’ll have to win the motion, either at the trial level, or on appeal. (The latter will take years).

Drawing the right judge will be crucial. I imagine it’s a relatively sure thing that Twitter will remove to federal court. They might also seek to change venue to California if they dont like their judge. (Nunes being from Cali will hurt him there)

36. Ono says:

Devin Nunes speaks for a lot of Californians.

Clean up the voter fraud and Ca could be red again

• Pegm says:

If only. We are fixing to move shortly. Born and raised here, but it is no longer the golden state. We hate to leave but newsome will finish it off.

• fabrabbit says:

Me too, putting our house on the market on May 1. Leaving California for good.

• Ono says:

I moved from Santa Barbara to rural San Diego County
        No smog on vehicles here, I have a well and solar that has left me with a $600.00 credit after a year and a half.

My neighbors are sheriffs and border patrol and we will make Ca Great again.

Gavin is Pelosi/Brown Spawn…

Horrible.

I would like to say make SF great again but last time I drove through it was Sodem and Gomera

37. Bigly says:

#war

38. Linus in W.PA. says:

Odd about the recurring figure of $250 Million Gold Smoullions….

Same for the Covington lawsuits….

39. Vince says:

President Trump needs to activate the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, who will level heavy fines against Facebook, Twitter, and Google, among others. Then use the money to build the wall.

• Robert Smith says:

Can’t the CFPB supposedly do almost anything by Warren’s design?

• Vince says:

Yes, it can do pretty much anything. Warren envisioned it to go after banks that ripped off consumers (in her mind), so using it to go after big data is not a stretch. Mulvaney didn’t destroy it, he put it into zombie status where it collects no money and does nothing.

Congress could probably not summon the votes to repeal the act, and if they did, so what, we wanted it gone anyway.

40. EnoughIsEnough says:

Thank you, Rep Nunes. Your efforts will change the landscape in the social media world. Hopefully, everyone will benefit from an even platform to offer POV, exchange ideas, and have a healthy debate over differences. Good luck, sir. This move has tremendous, lasting implications.

41. gildie says:

Everyone has a plan til they have to cough up $250,000,000.

42. Sherri Young says:

Well great. I try to turn on the TV for the first time in a couple of weeks to catch Devin Nunes and it seems my cable is out.

43. jahealy says:

Here would be my 2nd scoop of ice cream for the day: Judge Jeanine announces she’s voluntarily leaving Fox and starting a daily/weekly podcast, and she’s suing Fox for $250 mill. 🍨🍨

44. convert says:

This is great news!! Yessss! Does he have a fundraising acct somewhere? I would donate.

45. donnyvee says:

Kudos to Devin Nunes. As a lawyer friend of mine used to say, discovery is where the red meat is. And unlike paper documents, even a CEO can’t be sure there isn’t a copy of something very damaging floating around somewhere.

46. jkcinsalem says:

I trust Mr. Nunez did not check with the GOP leadership before filing his lawsuit.

47. Your Tour Guide says:

Third day of harping on this. I think that twitter has been working
    in collusion with the Krassensteins against Trump. Who could
    spend every waking moment knowing when Trump was going to
    post? And, being able to be the first to reply EVERY SINGLE TIME??

I still think that they have a delay whenever Trump’s account
    appears, and a heads up goes out to the Krassensteins. Dr Gu is
    in on this one, also, IMO. Maybe discovery would unearth how
    the replies are being manipulated. Remember, the judges said
    that Trump couldn’t block these jerks.