Sunday February 17th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

182 Responses to Sunday February 17th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. trapper says:

Something to focus our thoughts

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Let Him Be Accursed

“It can’t possibly be the correct interpretation that Paul’s usage of the term ‘accursed’ in Galatians 1:8,9 meant believers could lose their salvation. What is your position on this issue?”

“As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed” (Gal. 1:9).

Let us look to Deuteronomy 7:26, which is the first place in our English Bibles that the Hebrew word ghehrem is translated “a cursed thing.” This will help us understand Paul’s usage of the term. It is important to bear in mind that the apostle had a thorough knowledge of the Old Testament, from which he often borrowed his terminology, even when writing in Greek.

“Neither shalt thou bring an abomination [an idol] into thine house, lest thou be a cursed [accursed] thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed [accursed] thing” (Deut. 7:26).

In other words, the idol was to be removed from their presence; it was to be avoided. In like manner, those who reject Paul’s gospel are to be avoided lest we be drawn away to another gospel, which is exactly what happened at Galatia. As we know, two cannot walk together in close fellowship unless they are agreed (Amos 3:3).

So Paul isn’t speaking about saints who teach another gospel losing their salvation, because we know that those who are saved are eternally secure in Christ. Thankfully, salvation doesn’t depend on our actions, but on Christ’s finished work at Calvary on our behalf. Clearly the apostle is speaking about separating ourselves from those who deny his gospel. However, there may have been some who believed a false gospel and therefore were not saved in the first place. Those who believed such a false gospel and went on to teach it to others were accursed indeed.

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Deuteronomy 7:26 Neither shalt thou bring an abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.

Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

• KP Smith says:

If I properly understand the question/statement… Can someone who is ‘saved’ lose their salvation? Of course they can! That’s what free will is. One can accept our Lord and saviour of their own free will, but of course they can then deny hi [and the Father] but not following Him.

Luke 8:21 “…my brethen are these which hear the word of GOD, and do it.”
      ‘DO IT’ emphasis by me. Suppose one accpts Christ and then commits Murder? Or continues to sin habitually? Accepting Christ is not a ‘get out of jail/hell free card. We must DO the word [will] of God the Father, not just hear it. IMHO.

More importantly, Satan comes before Jesus’s return. Would someone who worships Satan [even thinking that he is Christ] be forgiven? Doubtful.

All Scripture from KJV
      II Thessalonians (Paul speaking)
      2:1 ” Now we beseech you,…our gathering unto Him… (Who? Christ) (OUR gathering unto Him!).
      2:3 “…that day shall not come, except…that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition,” (Who? Satan) (revealed FIRST!).
      2:4 “…as God sitteth in the Temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.” (Where? Satan in the Temple in Jerusalem!) .
      2:5 “Remember…I told you these things?” (What? The gathering back would NOT be revealed until Satan sits in the Temple!).
      2:3 “Let no man deceive you by any means…” (What? Rapture theory, pre-trib, post-trib) (By ANY means!).

Matthew 13:43 “…Who hath ears to hear…”

IHS
      kp

• KP Smith says:

Sorry about typos…
        ‘deny HIM’…
        ‘BY’ not following…

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Can someone who is ‘saved’ lose their salvation?”

No they cannot. who is going to break the seal of the Holy Spirit?

Ephesians 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
        13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
        14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

I will address this issue later today, I have to get ready to depart for my local service this morning at http://gracefamilybiblechurch.org/

In the meantime, i leave you with this to prayerfully consider:

“Salvation is a free gift without any work whatsoever. (Ephesians 2:8-9) Salvation is not dependent upon walking the aisle, joining the church, being baptized, turning over a new leaf, repenting of your sins, turning from your sins, forsaking your sins, confessing your sins, asking for forgiveness of your sins or inviting Christ into your heart…”

• Pale rider says:

You would have to define “saved”. Is it a denominational exclusion?
          To know Christ and be filled with the Holy Spirit is a defining issue that cannot be reversed. But that is a very personal experience only known by the receiver and God.

• KP Smith says:

Oh my, I don’t want to get in a debate about Salvation, I leave that ONLY to my Heavenly Father. However I certainly wouldn’t want to leave my salvation to man, or an interpretation that can’t be verified, it is soley the gift of the Father through the sacrifice of His Only begotten.

KJV
          John 14.6 “Jesus saith…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
          That is a requirement placed on us by our Lord and Saviour. We have to willingly participate not sit back and accept salvation with no effort on our part. That doesn’t appear to be in conflict with the translation below.

KJV Ephesians
          2:8 “For by grace are ye saved through the faith; and not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
          2:9 “Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
          2:10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”

Seems pretty cut and dried, “walk in them”. Meaning participate, or DO the will [works] of Christ.

KJV James
          2:24 “Ye see then that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.”

Alternatively…

KJV Matthew
          7:23 “And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
          [NOT “turning over a new leaf”…NOT “turning from your sins”..]

As an English speaker by birth it is imperitive we [I] have a Bible translation we [I] can trace back to the Hebrew/Greek/etc. translation. This can only be done [without an extraordinary amount of work] through the use of the KJV tied to a concordance [preferably a Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance. Due to man’s [various translator’s] inability, or even evil desire to falsley translate the Word, we can’t depend on varying versions except at our own peril.

I accept everyone that has accepted Christ as their Saviour, as my brother or sister in Christ. Period. However, don’t trust this man or any other man [teacher] without checking them out in [verifying] the Word of God. Again, period.

Written in love to all my Christian Treeper sisters and brothers.

IHS,
          kp

• Pale rider says:

KP, you are wise to not question a persons salvation or their devotion to God. Having said that all things are to be discerned by the word and rightly dividing it is the key. Harmless as lambs cunning as serpents. The more I know God the more I realize I know nothing. The beam in my eye is my prize and though I know it is there and despise it I still cling to it. That is why Jesus died for me.

• Mandy says:

“As an English speaker by birth it is imperitive we [I] have a Bible translation we [I] can trace back to the Hebrew/Greek/etc. translation.”

Agree, sort of. The problem stems from the fact that there is no Hebrew to trace back to. The Hebrew sources have been changed and corrupted. Today’s bibles which use the Hebrew source are using the Masoretic text which only dates back about 1000 years.

The version of the Old Testament that Christ and the Apostles used was NOT in Hebrew. It was a Greek translation of older Hebrew done about 200 BC and commonly referred to as “The Septuagint.”

If you do not have a Septuagint based Bible translation, you might enjoy one of those. We use the Orthodox Study Bible and are extremely pleased (notes are AMAZING). There are a few others and if you go to the end of the video below, the guy who did the vid lists three of them. (I share this because when I was a ‘casual Christian,’ I had NO IDEA that this was even a thing!)

To demonstrate a few of the differences, you can watch the first half of this video (I would type them out for y’all, but there are a LOT of differences and I am not that fast of a typist, lol). The translation differences start at 2:20.

• KP Smith says:

Dear Mandy,
              and I’ll address this to D.I below as well,

This is awesome! I LOVE that we can discuss this as believers and share ideas on interpretations. May I also recommend ‘The Interlinear Bible by J.P. Green, Sr. with Strong’s Concordance Numbers. There are still a great many more study tools available for the deeper student as well… I’m not taking this personally, we all have to decide what we believe for ourselves.

Regardless your source(s), I merely suggest to the less initiated that they try to make time to study for themselves. It’s difficult to be sure. It wasn’t until my retirement that I was able to make the daily time commitment that I am able to enjoy now.

As for D.I.’s many citings of examples of, ‘All of the saved are eternally secure in Christ’, I’m also certain that is true. But that is a certainty in Christ! When we fail as humans, which all do from time to time, it is not HE that failed, it is us! That is why we may repent again and again and still get right with the Lord. Matthew 18:22 “until seventy times seven.” Why would He coach us thus unless He knew we would fall short again? Not Christ, we don’t want to re crucify Him, but WE must repent again. We can do so daily, or as oft as necessary. I merely suggest that if one chooses NOT to repent, one can and does lose their salvation. I stand by that. Salvation is not a license to sin.

Bless you sisters and brothers, and thank you for the great reference material. I will add new materials to my library of Bibles and continue my in-depth study of the Word. I hope you do as well.

IHS,
              kp

p.s. Could anyone believe that ALL colleges and universities teach nothing but truth nowadays? My answer, “Of course not.”
              Could anyone believe ALL churches and seminaries are the exception? My answer, “Of course not.”

Luke 12:51 “Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division.”

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“I will address this issue later today”

Here are some links with references. “Saved” is a word in the past tense, so it has already been done. Since salvation is a free gift bestowed upon belief, someone who thinks that God is an “Indian giver” is sorely mistaken and taking other verses from other dispensations and trying to make them applicable to us (please see GFBC website link in my post above):

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
          9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

2Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

5. We believe in the eternal security of the believer (Romans 5:1-2; 8:29-34; 38-39; Eph. 1:13-14; Philippians 1:6) and the eternal damnation of the lost (Romans 2:1-11; Eph. 5:6; II Thess. 1:7-9; Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).
          – – – – – – – – – –

4. Eternal Security: We believe in the eternal security of the believer (Romans 5:1-2; 8:29-34; 38-39; Eph. 1:13-14; Philippians 1:6.)
          – – – – – – – – – – –

All of the saved are eternally secure in Christ. (Col. 2:9; 3:1-4; Phil. 1:6)

• Blue Ridge Mts. Va says:

Got Questions also has an answer “Can a Christian Lose Salvation?”
          [No, you can’t lose it]

• frank field says:

Dear lord smith:

Read The Bondage of the Will. By Martin Luther.
        Read The Death of Death.
        By John Owen.
        Read Freedom of the Will.
        By Jonathan Edwards.

Be graceful.

Grace to you. 👓

• KP Smith says:

Dear frankfield,
          “lord smith”. Ouch!
          I’m only quoting our Heavenly Father not the words of men. No harm or offense meant. But I’m also certain our Heavenly father doesn’t care if any man takes offense at His written Word. I’ll continue to trust Him.
          Grace to you as well.

IHS,
          kp

4. citizen817 says:

5. citizen817 says:

6. Garrison Hall says:

Have a blessed Sunday, Treepers!

Although Brazil is famous for having so many famous music composers, Heitor Villa-Lobos ranks among the best, not only in Brazil but in the world.

7. trapper says:

Seems like a good time to reprise the Nunc Dimittis and Gloria Patri. World without end. Amen

8. jackphatz says:

You all need something fun to look at.

9. smiley2 says:

ISIS and…

Minneapolis, Minnesota

How Minneapolis’ Somali Community Became The Terrorist Recruitment Capital Of The US

Feb 16, 2019

FBI stats show…more men and boys from the Somali community in Minneapolis have joined or tried to join a foreign terrorist organization over the last 12 years than any other jurisdiction in The United States.

45 Somalis, for example, left Minneapolis to join either al-Shabab (Somali-based) or ISIS (Iraq/Syria-based).

As of 2018, 12 more have been arrested for leaving with the intention of supporting ISIS.

and, in 2018, a female local Somali was also arrested for arson, and for providing “material support” to Al Qaeda.

as al-Shabab and ISIS start to “crumble” and struggle to survive in the ME, Minneapolis provides a sinister fertile ground necessary to restart a come-back particularly with regard to ISIS in Iraq/Syria , which has “authorities” concerned .

recruitment is online and face-to-face radicalization in the very insular ethnic community in Minneapolis…focusing on the “negative impact of US counter-terrorism policies” (and exploiting, spinning that for all it’s worth) and by pushing the victim thing of being the outsider who is shunned by American society…

… who then runs to the local mosques for further radicalization.

according to the article, “authorities” are having a very difficult time penetrating the Somali community because the Somalis have not assimilated with any of the neighboring American towns (coexist ??)…like in Cedar-Riverside where you hardly ever see a “non-Somali”…Somali malls, Somali realtors, Somali insurance adjusters…

..and then, of course, there’s Rep Ilhan Omar , Somali-Muslim ex-refugee, who asks our justice system(s) to support known terrorists…like the 6 Somalis arrested in 2015 for trying to cross the Mexican border to join ISIS in Syria .

trust that smile ?

10. KP Smith says:

“A young man whose [step]father is a carpenter grows up working in his [step]father’s shop. He has no formal education. He owns no property of any kind.

One day he puts down his tools and walks out of his [step]father’s shop. He starts preaching on street corners and in the nearby countryside. Walking from place to place preaching all the while even though he is no way an ordained minister he never gets farther than an area perhaps 100 miles wide at the most. He does this for three years.

Then he is arrested, tried and convicted. There is no court of appeal so he executed at age 33 along with two common thieves. Those in charge of his execution roll dice to see who gets his clothing – the only possession he has. His family cannot afford a burial place so he is interred in a borrowed tomb.

End of story? No, this uneducated, propertyless young man who preached on street corners for only three years, who left no written word has for over 2,000 years had a greater effect on the entire world than all the rulers, kings and emperors, all the conquerors, the generals and admirals, all the scholars, scientists and philosophers, who ever lived – all put together.

How do we explain that? Unless he really was what he said he was.” – Ronald Reagan

IHS
    kp

11. nimrodman says:

Calls for calm in Australia as militant vegans attack dairy farmers

We live in an age of self-righteous, single-issue groups that feel entitled to physically confront their enemies. With the Green New Deal fact sheet published (and retracted) by Rep. Ocasio Cortez promising to eliminate cows because of their farts and Sen. Booker advocating veganism, American meat-eaters and dairy-lovers sense a wave of bullying ahead aimed at forcing them to change their diets. In Australia, the bullying already has become physical.

12. nwtex says:

13. nwtex says:

14. nwtex says:

Crafty Beaver Ross@indyrallen
    Feb 15
    “If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.” ~ Mark Twain

• amwick says:

#CraftyBeaver is trending in the twitterverse.. Funny name for a hardware store chain, the two nigerians that were involved in the Jessie Smollett hoax went shopping there before the “attack”…. A lot of the stuff is really funny… I did this:

I guess it is a twitter thing…

15. Lucille says:

Questions Blacks Have For SJW’s

16. jx says:

I don’t know if it’s been noted before, Pat Caddell has died

17. nwtex says:

OMGoodness. you must enlarge and look at the photos ❤

18. smiley2 says:

Mid-Morning Break

ca 2017

oil/canvas

Light Upon The Crest Of A Wave

2011

o/c

William D Hobbs ~ American (Pennsylvania) ~ Contemporary ~ Hyper Realism ~ Land and Seascapes .

trained biologist & outdoor enthusiast…loves painting water ..

..probably one of the most difficult things to paint well.

more about him…and more of his work, here…

🙂

19. Dora says:

Robert Henri – The Rain.Clouds (Paris) 1902

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.”
    Romans 5:17 (KJV)

21. nwtex says:

Okay leftys. Why haven’t you pulled this up and slammed one of your own. Oh….. never mind.

Sarah Silverman “Horrified” by 2007 Blackface Sketch
    5/23/2018

Sarah Silverman has made a name for herself as an outspoken comic, but admitted in a new profile for GQ that she regrets a particular scene from a 2007 episode of The Sarah Silverman Program in which she sports blackface.

Silverman said that even though she knew the sketch was wrong at the time, much of her fame is due to that character. “I was praised for it! It made me famous! It was like, I’m playing a character, and I know this is wrong, so I can say it. I’m clearly liberal,” she said. “That was such liberal-bubble stuff, where I actually thought it was dealing with racism by using racism. I don’t get joy in that anymore. It makes me feel yucky. All I can say is that I’m not that person anymore.”

• Dave says:

Hi nwtex, I was remembering a movie from 1970 called Watermelon Man, starring black comedian/actor Godfrey Cambridge. He played a white man (in white face) who overnight turns into a black man, and subsequently gets rejected by his liberal wife and kids. His whole life gets trashed. I wonder how that would play today? Originally, before choosing Cambridge, the studio was considering using a white actor such as Alan Arkin or Jack Lemmon (in black face) for the lead. I can only imagine!

22. Dora says:

23. spoogels says:

Put That In Your Pipe And Smoke It!
    Sen. Rubio Learns He’s More Native American Than Fauxcahontas

24. Dora says:

Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
    February, 17, 2019

Like the optimist who sees a glass of water half-full and the pessimist who sees it half-empty, people assess the times in which they live by their personality. Each age has had its crises, but the time in which we live seems especially fit to the description with which Dickens began A Tale of Two Cities: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness…”

While other generations have known philosophical and physical conflicts, ours is conspicuous for an evaporation of moral certitudes by which good and bad are judged. Our Lord warned against pessimism (Luke 17:23), but he also cautioned against the deceits of false optimists who would caricature Christ to promote evil (Matthew 24).

The Catechism is clear: “Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the ‘mystery of iniquity’ in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth” (CCC 675).

No cogent veteran of the last century, with its mega-villains, could deny the existence of Satan. But the Lord of Death and Prince of Lies employs his agents to kill babies, shatter families, corrupt priests, and mock the Church. Each modern economic, sexual, and artistic “liberation” has masqueraded as an “angel of Light” (2 Corinthians 11:14).

In the fourteenth century Saint Bridget of Sweden predicted: “During the first part of (the Antichrist’s) reign, he plays more the part of sanctity; but when he gains complete control, he persecutes the Church of God and reveals all his wickedness.”

During the bicentennial of our own nation, the future St. John Paul II said in Philadelphia to a crowd not altogether paying attention: “We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has ever experienced. I do not think that the wide circle of the American Society, or the whole wide circle of the Christian Community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, between the Gospel and the anti-Gospel, between Christ and the antichrist. “

In dealing with “principalities and powers not of this world” (Ephesians 6:12), human politics and social reforms to fight them are as useless as a pea shooter. Spiritual combat begins and ends with worship of the one true God in His one true Church. The prime Antichrist hates that the most. Around the year 300, Abba Apollo said, “The Devil has no knees, . . . he cannot worship, he cannot adore.”

25. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

26. Dora says:

He’s not even trying to hide it any longer. Yikes!

======

Pope Francis: World Government Must Rule U.S. ‘For Their Own Good’

Pope Francis told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica that the United States of America has “a distorted vision of the world” and Americans must be ruled by a world government, as soon as possible, “for their own good.”

The Pope made the observation in an interview with La Repubblica reporter Eugenio Scalfari.

27. getfitnow says:

FTA – Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., was once again reminded that she exaggerated her Native American ancestry and was heckled during a campaign stop in Georgia. While introducing herself to a crowd of about 1,000 supporters in a Lawrenceville high school, a man shouted “Why did you lie?” Warren replied back “Be easy, be easy,” while the crowd chanted her name and clapped. The man was holding up a campaign sign that read “1/2020” as he was quickly escorted out of the building.

28. Attention legal immigrants – assimilate or GTF out. That is all.

29. TheLastDemocrat says:

New topic: recent Illinois workplace shooting story, as told, strongly includes the fact that he was on no-gun list, yet had gun…
    Will this story line be ramped up to argue for a policy of “no one can have a gun because no-gun list doesn’t work?”

30. nwtex says:

Florida student aged just 11 is arrested after ‘refusing to recite the “racist” Pledge of Allegiance and then threatening to beat his teacher’
    17 February 2019

31. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Will the last person to leave Earth, please turn out the lights…

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

No wonder Dairy Queen changed their “Curl on Top” logo.

• Cisco says:

Stop the world!
      I want to get off.
      🍸🍸🍸
      Ok, I feel better now.

• Dave says:

I’ve been feeding a feral cat, who’s been fixed, for the last two years. Let’s me pet her occasionally. I just have to remember to boil my hands afterwards. Never heard of Halo’s. She gets Friskies. From my experience with cats, dogs are the only ones who really care about cat turds! Advice to pet food companies: Dogs don’t care what dog food tastes like since I see what they dig up to eat in the yard! My advice to all Treepers: Stay away from hippo laxatives…trust me on this!

32. Dora says:

I saw the exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Wow!

33. nwtex says:

Oh. His “girlfriend” is looking like Kim.

Making the rounds: The pair attended several awards show parties in recent weeks including Steven Tyler’s Grammy watch party to benefit the Aerosmith singer’s Janie’s Fund

34. Gary Lacey says:

The Miller interview with Mrs Walace is an excellent watch

35. bkrg2 says:

Flew down to Memphis for the weekend. Went to Civil Rights museum
    Found it very informative and actually learned a few new things.

I was born the day before MLK was assassinated and found his speechs to be very powerful. There is a entire floor dedicated to the evidence, investigations and theories that is eye opening

36. patrickhenrycensored says:

If America is so hateful, why is it that ‘hate crimes’ need to be fabricated so often?

• nimrodman says:

It’s like “white privilege” and its predecessor “micro-agressions”:

“Y’all ain’t really being all raycissss an’ sheeit to us no more, so we just gon’ make $hit up”

37. Karen Schoen says:

G-d help those who help themselves.
    Is America worth saving?
    What are you doing to “save” America?

• John Denney says:

Promoting her ideals:

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these Rights are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

We unite to defend everyone’s Person, Property, and Liberty. Sometimes this requires force of arms, to which we also have a Right.

The nation prospers when its people prosper. An individual prospers by:
      1) Can-do attitude
      2) Diligence
      3) Continuous learning
      4) Trustworthiness, motivated by love for one’s neighbor, coinciding with the Lord’s command.
      These apply regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or even disability — Charles Krauthammer became a paraplegic in college, yet became very successful.

38. F.D.R. in Hell says:

1933-2019

39. andyocoregon says:

“Smollett’s attorneys, Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson, issued a statement to CNN Saturday night saying Smollett was angry about these latest developments.”

And now it’s just a matter of time until Smollett’s attorneys bail on him saying, “It has now become clear our client has been less than candid with us. We can no longer support and defend him at the risk of our stellar reputation. We will have nothing further to add to this situation as we no longer represent Mr. Smollett.”

40. Bendix says:

Our president, Donald J. Trump, has certainly set the world on fire.

I went and researched that phrase, to make doubly sure that it could not be construed as causing trouble all over the place, as his two most recent predecessors did.
    Interestingly, I discovered a difference (as there often is) between what we mean by it in America, and what it means to those English-speakers in Great Britain.

In American, it means exactly what I always thought it meant, when I started thinking about how it applied to our VSG leader:
    “to become famous through brilliant achievements”.

The Brits, and in my experience, the other Commonwealth nations, tend to see it in the tabloid-y sense, as someone who has drawn a lot of attention to himself, or someone who has just amassed a large fortune.
    That doesn’t surprise me.
    There’s a resentment of someone who distinguishes himself in a meaningful way, in those places.
    In Australia they call it the “Tall Poppy Syndrome”.

41. andyocoregon says:

WTH were Albuquerque’s city leaders thinking when they ordered millions of dollars of Chinese made buses for their city?

42. smurfette says:

Patriot who knows how to watch flight patterns notices a change in flight activity over the Paradise Calif area just before the critical period. The planes do not fly over but instead circle back and forth in a pattern for quite a while which he traces. Starts at 1.50 min.

Would the deep state spray chemicals in the air? Obama’s Science Czar was John P. Holden, and he suggested that to contain population growth they could introduce sterilants to water supply. Any type of chemical spraying would be possible which is then blamed on cow flatulance and the populace.

43. Sepp says:

Great Lent approaches for the Orthodox Christian Faithful.

On this Sunday, we commemorate the Parable of the Publican and the Pharisee, from the Holy Gospel According to Saint Luke (18: 10 – 14).

An illuminating explanation of this passage from Holy Scripture is generously shared by the American publisher of an English translation of the 11th century commentaries of Saint Theophylact Archbishop of Ohrid and Bulgaria.

A Hymn – Kontakion. Fourth Tone.

“Let us flee the vaunting of the pharisee and learn the humility of the publican, whilst crying out unto the Savior with groanings: Be gracious unto us, O Thou Who alone dost readily forgive.”

44. andyocoregon says:

I’m watching the NASCAR Daytona 500 today and they just had a short tribute to driver J.D. Gibbs who died way too young at age 49. I was unaware of his death until now.

• Dave says:

Hey Andy, glad to see another NASCAR fan here! I look forward every year to Speedweeks in Daytona! Back when I was younger and more mobile, I had a string of 30 consecutive 500s attended in person! Nowadays, I catch all the action on my computer. By now, you’re aware Denny Hamlin won for Coach Gibbs tonight. JD, as you know, “discovered” Denny back in the day. One of my earliest NASCAR heroes passed last year: David Pearson, the “Silver Fox.” Several others too, like Glenn Wood. I miss the old fans I used to tailgate party with, as many have passed too. I also miss the smell of racing tire smoke, morning cookouts, meeting VIPs, and going without sleep from Friday through Sunday because I was on an adrenaline high! The funny thing is a bunch of us all sat in the same section for years, and we only saw each other on race day. Over time, I saw guys go from youthful to elderly, (including myself), kids grow into adults, new divorces, new spouses, recent deaths/disabilities, new retirements, new careers, new places to call “home.” I was fortunate enough to “bookend” the season by attending Speedweeks in Feb, and Championship Weekend in Homestead/Miami in Nov for 17 years! Spent quality time with my wife for most of them, a few with kid brother, and a few with grandson. I need NASCAR as an escape from the craziness we encounter daily as Treepers! Enjoy the season, Andy!

45. andyocoregon says:

The walls are closing in on Jussie Smollett.

46. maggie0987 says:

On a TOTALLY unrelated topic –
    do any Treeper ladies here know where you can buy Jean Nate talcum powder from these days??
    Every time I am in the US I hit all the drug stores I can but no one sells it any more – but they all remember that their Nonna used to use it!

47. John Denney says:

I saw a post somewhere mocking the President for mocking that female politician warning of the dangers of global warming during a blizzard. The poster said the President does not understand that global warming causes heavier snowfall because warm air holds more water, so that when the warm air mass hits a cold front, more snow falls.
    I hadn’t heard this argument before, so I did some checking. Of course, I know that warm air holds more water, but how much more?
    Well, if you check these charts, you can see that nowhere along the curves does a few degree change in temperature come anywhere close to doubling the amount of moisture in the air.
    Say, from 72 degrees F to 74, the maximum moisture content of air goes from 1.2 to 1.3 pounds per thousand cubic feet of air, which is an 8% increase.
    Is an 8% increase in snow noticeable? That would be like 6 1/2 inches of snow rather than just 6 inches.

48. auscitizenmom says:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.