Monday February 11th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

236 Responses to Monday February 11th – Open Thread

1. Dora says:

He has gone too far. This man must be removed.

• ByrdDeplorable says:

Dora: From The Narnia Chronicles, C. S. Lewis:
      “The Ape jumped up and spat at the Lamb. “Baby! Silly little bleaker. Tash is only another name for Aslan. All that old idea of us being right and the Calormenes wrong is silly. We know better now. The Calormenes use different words but we all want the same thing. Tash and Aslan are only two different names for you know Who. “
      “Excuse me,” said the Cat, “does your friend from Calormene say the same?”
      “Assuredly,” said the Calormene. “Aslan means neither less nor more than Tash.”
      “Especially, Aslan means no more than Tash?” suggested the Cat.
      “Assuredly,” said the Calormene.
      (And so they called the fake beast Tashlan.)
      From The Last Battle, chapter 3

• mom4tomic says:

Exodus 20:3
      “You shall have no other gods before Me.

2. Janie M. says:

Now what?!!!. Discovered a few days ago due to a chewed up loaf of bread (in plastic bag) next to my toaster on a counter, I have a mouse. Did see it last night when it ran off under the stove/cabinet, tiny dark grayish brown thing. First mouse in 5 1/2 years that I am aware of in this apt. I don’t like killing anything (indoor ants, moths,spiders and mosquitoes are the exception) but know due to health concerns and likely increase in rodent population reasons, it had to be exterminated.😔

Yesterday, I picked up a 4 pack of Victor mouse traps. PIA to set, managed to have the 1st one go off on my right middle finger- OUCH!! First one didn’t trigger but it ate all the peanut butter off the target platform. Subsequent trap worked but NO mouse or body parts that I can see – small trail of blood on the floor near the released kill bar end and blood spots of varying sizes, color (some dark, some light) on floor within a 6 inch radius from the trap.

From my window, saw our maintenance man leaving bldg. so I called him to come up and take a look. He told me I should set a 2nd trap. What are the chances, if it survived, it will return after getting injured? I am beside myself. That it was injured, is suffering and didn’t quickly die makes me feel worse.

• smiley2 says:

time to get a…

🐱 problem solved 🐱

• Janie M. says:

P.S. Took a phone photo but didn’t want to upset anyone, so I didn’t include it in my post.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Set more than one trap Janie. If you’ve got one in the apt. you might have more.

• Janie M. says:

Today, I brought my next door neighbor over to look at my mouse trap and bloody floor. His first question, “Where’s the mouse?” Told him I didn’t know. So he gave me a cardboard rectangle with a tacky adhesive which nearly covers it and laid it against the floor’s/baseboard edging in the kitchen as he instructed. I just went to my door to see if a pkg. had arrived and glanced into the kitchen. There was a HUGE mouse, 3x bigger than the little one I saw last night, stuck on the adhesive. Arrrrgghhhhhh!!! 😲 He told me it should die in a couple more hours and maybe a 2nd one will be trapped.

• auscitizenmom says:

As little as I like mice, that would disturb me, too.

• jbt says:

Get a Tin Cat…has worked for years in our barn, and we even caught a baby rattler once! You can release far, far away or simply immerse in a bucket of water.

• Sandra-VA says:

Hopefully, the little critter made it OUT of the building entirely…. the smell of dead mice in walls is the WORST smell ever.

You can get live traps that work quite well… it is a box that you add food to – they can go in but cannot get out. You can then take them outside, far away.

Also, if you live in an apartment complex you need to make a report to the management that you have seen mice in your apartment. They MUST act. If they do not, or the problem persists for too long, you can then contact your local health department and file a complaint.

You can get sick from mice urine/feces, so be very careful.

• Melanie says:

When I was younger, and could comfortably sit on my kitchen counter, I put down a paper bag from the grocery store. (do they still have those?)
      Anyway I put cereal in the bag and layed it down sideways. I watched from the counter top (I knew the mouse was under the stove.) Mouse went into the bag and I scooped him up and released him outside. Worked many times but as I have stated, you must be young and nimble to pull it off.

• Janie M. says:

Melanie, the problem with setting them free is they can come back into the building, much warmer here than our snow covered grounds. I have added an update to my post. I have actually caught another mouse using a different method- thanks to my next door neighbor, much bigger than the first one I attempted to kill. He came over and saw it and asked if it was the prior mouse. Informed him this one is much bigger.

• Herbert Kroll says:

If you see that many mice, then there are a lot of them. You’ld better use poison. Worked for me, problem solved in about two days! Be careful not to touch the poisened bate,so you don’t leave your smell on them.

• Janie M. says:

I thought about poison bait, Herbert but then I thought it wouldn’t die instantly, crawling away to some tight space, like under the stove or refrigerator, etc. Don’t know how bad it would smell. Just pulled out the broiling compartment to see if I could find the tiny mouse who bled on my kitchen floor but there is a piece of sheet metal bolted to the sides of broiler so I can’t see down to the floor underneath.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Don’t ever do poison.

Tractor Supply sells electric mouse and rat killing devices. Works on a battery. I use sticky glue traps and the mouse electric chair trap. The dispatch the mouse, I drown it.

You can use Peppermint, and whole cloves to repel the mice. Instead of a cat, terriers love to catch mice and kill them.

• Janie M. says:

Blue Ridge, our last cat passed away in August, 2017 @ 14 yrs old and that is why I had considered poison – we have no more pets. But as I mentioned above, I was afraid it would crawl to a impossible-to-access spot to die. I highly recommend the sticky trap. I suspect the bigger mouse I caught might have been the tiny mouse’s mama (as did my neighbor’s gf).

3. 🍺Gunny66 says:

test

4. PVCDroid says:

The narrative on reduced tax refunds is getting old. Only if you live in a heavy SALT State are you going to have a reduced refund assuming all other income and expenses are the same and the taxpayer did not adjust withholding.

For those that live in non SALT States, the opposite happens. A greater refund than prior year assuming the inputs are the same. In fact, Non Salt middle American taxpayers are going to have a smile on their face. I have prepared several returns this year for fellow Arizonans and they have been quite pleased and I’ve recommended to a couple they adjust their W-4 exemptions.

The media forgets that most states don’t have the heavy state and local taxes. They are so dishonest. CNBC is talking about how retail is going to get hit due reduced refunds. I doubt it.

5. Oh my, I forgot what else today is…

• andyocoregon says:

Also:

FEBRUARY 11, 2019 | NATIONAL MAKE A FRIEND DAY | NATIONAL INVENTORS’ DAY | NATIONAL CLEAN OUT YOUR COMPUTER DAY | NATIONAL WHITE SHIRT DAY/ WHITE T-SHIRT DAY | NATIONAL PEPPERMINT PATTY DAY | NATIONAL DON’T CRY OVER SPILLED MILK DAY | NATIONAL SHUT IN VISITATION DAY

6. Dora says:

7. Sandra-VA says:

There is something majorly wrong going on with this site today. Email/Username not “sticking”. Posts not posting, or they do post and then vanish. (did I mention spinning avatars? 😮 ).

I just discovered that if I close my browser AFTER the post didn’t appear, the post will then show up. Never encountered anything like what is happening today here at CTH.

Suspicious me is wondering if someone is monitoring this site… with tools.

8. Teachers are over paid.

Denver teachers are on strike. They want higher pay. The district has offered teachers a raise with starting salary at $45,300 per year. Considering teachers work only about 8 months a year, that is an annualized equivalent starting salary of $68,000 a year.

9. F.D.R. in Hell says:

10. BigMamaTEA says:

“A Farewell To Walter Jones”

…………..”.It is with the greatest sadness that I have to post the death of Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., died Sunday in Greenville, N.C., Jones was one of my former clients…….”

• Reader says:

Congressman Walter B. Jones is one of the few honourable men that brought courage and dignity to the House of Representatives.

He made time for any of his constituents at his offices in North Carolina, and travelled the circuit to meet with his people. He would attend civic/social functions, and meet with what the Democrats would call: “Deplorable’s”, people that actually worked for a living.

Walter was not in politics for money or fame. He was there to serve, and he did. He kept
      in touch with the average American, and answered letters/phone calls, and communications with him.

Having high priorities in God, and Walter’s own family, there was never a scandal over
      drugs, money, or other women. Walter was honest. Walter was a humble and kind person.

Sadness at Walter leaving us, on this earth, while he has gone to a Higher Place,
      is only slightly mollified at the incredible legacy he left behind,.

11. BigMamaTEA says:

Senate tee-vee is getting ready to start….they’re playing their music.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Only thing on the senate agenda for today (as printed) is S.47 “Natural Resources Act”

The first bad thing I know about it, in current legislation, (Murcowski) wants to make it permanent…..Mike Lee tried to get that changed to 5 years w/o any luck last week.

Who knows what’s really in it. It a combination of roughly 100 little bills, from both Chambers.

• Sandra-VA says:

This must be the bill where they try to redo the undoing that President Trump’s EPA has done.

They really want all those puddles regulated, you know!

• auscitizenmom says:

I tried watching C-Span3. They were arguing over some changes and the changes are the ones made in 2013 by the Dems, I believe. Now they are whining because they can’t get what they want because of those changes is the way I understood it. And, any Dem speaking was so rude and hateful toward the POTUS, I decided I didn’t need to hear any more. They are scared to death that the Mueller rpt won’t get out so they can use it. SMH

12. Dora says:

13. Starting teachers salary in Dallas, TX is $53,000 for 8 months of work; or $79,500 annualized.

Dallas Police Department starting patrolmen are paid $60,000 a year, for 12 months of dangerous

• lurker2 says:

Well that’s not good.

• Boots says:

Members of the armed forces currently fighting in the middle east are paid far less than a DPD patrolman. We don’t read them posting about laying their lives on the line every day. They get up, gear up, mount up, and get going. They get no overtime pay, no weekends off, no choice of vacation week on the department vacation calendar and…..

…..their rules of engagement are far more restrictive than any cops’ ROE. The serviceman or woman who shoots an unarmed combatant faces courts martial, reduction in rank, DD, or even prison. The cop who shoots and unarmed civilian – even in the back or side – has a phalanx like army of lawyers and media to play up his;her inevitable “I was in fear of my life so much I sh#t my pants” BS story. In the end the cop nearly always gets away with homicide and murder.

Most cops across America increase their base salary by at least 25%, and sometimes up to 100%, by working overtime. In addition to their normal PD jobs, Dallas cops work up to 72 hours at off duty police jobs:

I’d wager 90% of the poor, $60k/annual patrolman are making a whole lot more than $60k/yr.

14. lurker2 says:

I dug into the Jussie Smollett story again. I’m still bothered by where he was walking with respect to any condo/apartment lobby he would have entered to get back to his home. He was allegedly assaulted on the lower level of a two-level street. Odd place to be walking at 2am, that’s for service vehicles and there are also entrances to parking garages, not a place a person would be walking to get to any condo/apartment buildings in the area.

I just saw a local Chicago CBS video, they showed the street entrance to a building. It’s the Loews hotel. So I was thinking maybe they just showed that building because it was near the alleged incident location and maybe Loew’s provided security footage, or maybe he’s staying in the Loews. Well now I’m pretty sure it’s the latter because I found out that there are apartments on the upper floors of that building, above the hotel. The apartments have a separate entrance, it’s on the upper level of North Water Street at the corner of North Water and New. (Street address is 340 E North Water.) CBS said the police have video showing Jussie entering the apartment lobby. The apartment lobby is on the upper level.

I think most people walking from the Subway Jussie visited to that apartment building would walk south on McClurg or New to North Water. Either way you’d end up on the lower level of North Water at the base of the apartment building. There’s a staircase at the intersection so you can get up to the upper level. If Smollett was indeed assaulted and he was not wandering around in other areas, it would have surely occurred right there at that intersection or on the staircase.

There is a security camera on a light post right at that intersection, I believe it’s a police camera and I believe it’s the camera that captured the image of two people walking on New (who could have been residents, thousands of people live around there). Click on the link below for a good street view. You can see the camera on the pole to the right. Directly across the street is the apartment building encased in glass. You can see the upper and lower levels of North Water. You can also see the staircase people use to go between the two levels. (I have used it several times.)

Judging by the position of the camera and where Smollett would have been walking, I think there’s no way he could have been assaulted without it being captured on video … unless he walked west into the depths of the lower level of North Water, well beyond where he should have gone at 2am. I read that the police said he was not on any surveillance for 60 seconds or so. Did he meet up with the two people, or someone else, and go do something farther in to that lower level of street, where they would be more hidden? That’s a pretty desolate area at night, I wouldn’t go there.

Here’s a page from another person who is as bugged by this as I am. https://www.eurweb.com/2019/02/an-open-letter-to-jessie-jackson-rev-you-know-the-jussie-smollett-story-is-not-right/

• Sandra-VA says:

It is a hoax… a precursor to the 2020 election cycle.

• Bendix says:

That quote from Jessie about Donald Trump’s “social style” is exactly right.
      How can a man perceptive enough to “get” that, even say such patently stupid and false things now?
      How does he allow himself to look so dumb, and why is he such a mean phony?

Donald Trump’s “social style” kept me from realizing how serious he was for quite some time, but I didn’t have the advantage Jesse had, of actually knowing the man.

15. getfitnow says:

This opening line is a keeper:
    “I’m a young woman with a deep faith in the black community. I believe we’ve exhausted the victim narrative. It’s taken us exactly nowhere for the last 60 years, and it’s time for us to put forth a different effort.”

FTA – Love her or hate her, you can’t ignore her. Meet the activist and trailblazer who is leading a movement, the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long time.

• lurker2 says:

She’s right. The same is true for women. Better to just forge ahead and do what you want to do and make your success. Acknowledge the past but don’t immerse yourself in it and then end up being bitter or stagnant. Everybody has hardships and struggles.

16. getfitnow says:

FTA – Over the last 30 years, psychiatrists and epidemiologists have turned speculation about marijuana’s dangers into science. Yet over the same period, a shrewd and expensive lobbying campaign has pushed public attitudes about marijuana the other way. And the effects are now becoming apparent.

Almost everything you think you know about the health effects of cannabis, almost everything advocates and the media have told you for a generation, is wrong.

17. BigMamaTEA says:

18. Dora says:

19. BigMamaTEA says:

• Rick says:

Although this looks good…I don’t believe it for a second. The President’s approval rating is much higher. The Dems oppose ALL physical wall funding and want open borders. ( a losing proposition for them in 2020) Americans were more than +70% in favor of the President’s comments on immigration and wall building in his SOTU address.

If the National media and cable channel news opinion networks would only offer 25% favorable reviews on this Admin’s success since January 2017….his real favorability numbers are likely north of 60%….a fact that the liberal-run media WILL NOT ALLOW to be exposed in print. Remember, he has been relentlessly attacked for three years running with 92% negative exposure and YET, he still stands with these positive numbers….

Hell, he was at 38% as reported by the media the day he stopped the shutdown of the Govt., (they thought they had him on the run) So, we’re to believe within two weeks he rose 14% overnight in favorable percentages. The media jerks our chain as if we’re fools. You have to love how this man can relate to the average American. Yes, I truly believe they can relate to him as well. (that’s what the media can’t understand, they can’t destroy this guy no matter what they throw at him)

Think of the fool who announces her candidacy in a blizzard while mentioning climate change…or the Fake Indian who lies for 30 years to advance herself on false pretense or all the fools who endorsed a Green Deal the moment some former 29 year old bartender tells us that farting cows are a big environmental problem and those unwilling to work will be taken care of…..not to mention the 100% elimination of planes and fossil fuels within 10 years. What rock do these cretins crawl out from under…how does the average American relate to their type of thinking? Sorry folks, I don’t buy it.

If the Dems continue with their strong position to oppose wall funding (in full) and continue with silly demands (like lowering the bed count for apprehended criminal aliens and target number of yearly deportations allowed) and continued open borders with no respect to written laws on the books, in addition to the calls for Socialism, then the President will landslide in 2020. The Dems best position would be to give the President his wall funding to diffuse the strongest weapon he uses against them. Our President is no fool, he knows that this extreme far left movement cannot hold up inside the poll booth….so a more moderate voice will need to arise from this pile of $hit-Dem forerunners. This loony Left bull$hit is just an appetizer to the main course that won’t even become evident until next year.

All of these Dems jumping in early know they have no chance in 2020 running for President…including Harris, Warren and Booker….its about making money NOW and increasing exposure in 2019 and beyond to MAKE MORE MONEY. The behind the scenes (powerbrokers) folks who really decide who will get the Dem nomination in 2020, are carefully monitoring the winds of Trump. If he continues strong through 2019, they may have to POW-WOW and smoke signal for a Hail Mary by announcing something like a Moochelle-Beto ticket, sell it like a more palatable and sensible answer to the radical left that we see now. (or any other combo not evident within this existing turd bowl) The fools will eat it up…..

For example: A Black woman for President who cannot be challenged because she was a former First Lady and who could cry sexism and racism on all points of contention.
      Add to that dynamic, it may be likely that the fake Beta Beto (billed as the next Bobby Kennedy) will be foisted on America. The media loves a Beta Savior to champion all causes; all those affected because of the smug, alpha-white male arrogance of the past, present and future.

Not sure how it will all turn out but I feel in my heart that the 2020 election will be whether we save America as founded, or we go the route of Socialism…perhaps the 2nd Civil War. The current idiocy of the Left cannot hold up as now being presented on a daily basis by the likes of AOC and the rest of the banshee anti-American pos’s that make up this sorry mess of Congressional representative on both sides of the aisle. Stay vigilant and watch how the wind blows.

Keep America Great 2020!

20. Richard Whitney says:

When is the Flynn sentencing hearing scheduled?

21. BigMamaTEA says:

Judicial Watch releases new batch of docs today….. http://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/JW-v-State-Strzok-Page-Emails-prod-7-00154-5.pdf?D=1

On JW’s site today, along with that link above…….”Judicial Watch: FBI General Counsel Talked to Hillary Clinton’s Lawyer about Comey’s Letter on Weiner Laptop Clinton Emails”

22. BigMamaTEA says:

23. BigMamaTEA says:

senate tee-vee just adjourned. Will return tomorrow (Tues.) at 10:00amEST

24. Jues says:

Why is Rand Paul now opposing President Trump’s Swamp Draining?

Very strange.

Rand Paul to oppose George Bush Attorney-General and Best Buddy of Bobby Mueller William Barr’s new AG nomination.

25. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

26. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

27. Sundance, I know you have been really busy lately but the Coonman/Fairfax Saga has really heated up. Coonman refers to slaves as indentured servants. Jake Tapper can’t believe Northam doesn’t know how he got the nickname ‘coonman”,https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/02/04/ralph-northam-racist-nickname-jake-tapper-lead-vpx.cnn.

Fairfax impeachment proceedings postponed, victims pissed. Correy McGutte(sp) implicated as Duke Basketball player who previously raped second victim. Duke in trouble again?

The Media has never investigated the details of Northam’s lies. He admitted to making “mistakes”.
    He indicated that he had forknowlege of the use of shoe polish (hard to get off) when putting a little bit on to portray Micheal Jackson. He wouldn’t name the upperclassmen who named him “coonman” Who is the classmate that outed him? Lots of threads that could be pulled.by the MSM.

Media and Dems do not know what to do.
    Northam was the Clansman.