Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Arkansas Sheriff Deputy Shoots Family Chihuahua…

This is severely disturbing.  Faulkner County, Arkansas, Sheriff Tim Ryals is now facing massive backlash thanks to a camera phone and social media.

A Faulkner sheriff deputy named Keenan Wallace was caught on camera shooting a small dog while investigating a neighborhood call reporting an aggressive dog.  Initially the County Sheriff was slow to respond to the outcry; then the video went viral on social media. [Warning, this is disturbing]:

Thankfully the dog named “Reese’s” survived being shot.

ARKANSAS – The Faulkner County Sheriff has fired the deputy who was caught on camera shooting a small dog.  Sheriff Tim Ryals said in the statement he felt deputy Keenan Wallace had numerous opportunities to deescalate the incident.

Sheriff Ryals added it appears no state law was violated. The investigation will be turned over to the prosecuting attorney’s office for further review. (media link)

I can’t even fathom….

The Sheriff Office statement (source):

A GoFundMe for $5,000 has been set up to help pay for surgery – SEE HERE

This entry was posted in Abusive Cops, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Police action, Professional Idiots, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

230 Responses to Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot? Arkansas Sheriff Deputy Shoots Family Chihuahua…

1. What rips the heart right out of my chest, is that NO-ONE did anything to help that poor dog for the length of that video.

2. Diane Stress says:

What an idiot! I was reading the comments and they’re right, there has been a huge increase in cops shooting dogs for quite a few years now. Sounds like the quality of our cops is really going down. Probably because the snowflakes are at the hiring age now – plus the experienced cops have seen this whole war against cops by Antifa, BLM, etc. and probably think it’s a good time to retire. I would!

• peachteachr says:

I read a stat from The Nation that says police kill 25 dogs each day. That’s no way to win friends and influence people, especially at a time when law enforcement is really in need of support. Here is a great starting point for them. Don’t shoot our dogs. We love them and it makes you look very bad.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

While there is apparently NO JUSTIFICATION for this abusive, incompetent action, there are, sadly, instances where that level of force is justified. In your larger cities, especially in the legitimate gang areas, there are drug dealers who steal pit bulls and rotties as puppies, raise them to be mean as hell, and to attack anything that looks like a cop if it comes in “their” yard. The dealers know it won’t stop a dedicated SWAT entry, but it will serve as an early warning system of sorts. The dealers couldn’t care less if their “beloved family members” are killed in the process.

But, there is a helluva difference between a 125lbs. Rottweiler charging you, and an 8lbs Chihuahua…..if this Deputy Dipschitt never works in law enforcement again, that’s the least that should happen to him. I would consider charging the idiot with Discharging a Firearm into an Occupied Dwelling, giving him 30-60 days in the slammer, AND making him liable for civil charges as well.

• Daniel Staggers says:

The police will NEVER have my support. They can all go to hell.

3. mcfyre2012 says:

Okay…what’s the deal with the trend of uniformed officers with beards?

Uniformed officers with anything more than mustaches just look slovenly and unprofessional.

4. Michael Hennessy says:

Ignorance comes in many forms!

5. Guaca Mole says:

idiot lost his job…good

6. mugzey302 says:

Obviously incompetent if he can’t handle a Chihuahua!

• The only reason the dog was shot was that Deputy Wallace thought the homeowner, who wasn’t following orders, owned the Chihuahua.
      Thought? I’ll shoot his f’ing dog right in front of him. Then, like a scene out of Pink Panther, the homeowner says, “That’s not my dog.”

• mugzey302 says:

As the sheriff said, he had many opportunities to defuse the situation, and didnt.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

I caught that also – many opportunities (as in PLURAL) – yet he (Deputy Dipschitt) felt like he HAD to engage the threat with his department issued duty weapon. I feel confident that somewhere in the rules and procedures, not to mention state law, that there is something in there about serious bodily injury or death either to yourself or someone else. Sheriff Ryals is just digging himself a deeper hole.

Btw, when I was only 12 or 13-years-old, my maternal grandmother had a Dachshund she raised from 8 weeks old until he was 15 or 16-years-old. I couldn’t stand that damn dog. His name was Muggzzey.

• mugzey302 says:

Dachshunds are notoriously ill-behaved, bonding to just one person. I’m shocked he didn’t kill that dog. He probably should spend more time at the gun range. Lol

• De Oppresso Liber says:

Epic!

7. Rocky says:

But it was an ASSAULT Chihuahua!

8. lydia00 says:

This is why some UPS And postal workers carry dog treats

• swissik says:

Some runners that I know carry a specific dog spray, a lesser pepper spray I was told. As a runner encountering one or more loose dogs roaming in the hills isn’t exactly fun.

9. Well, I’m just glad no one has brought up Jimmy Carter’s attack rabbit, or that other political loon who was attacked by a duck (no, I’m very old, I don’t remember such trivia these days, I’ve got a failed government on my mind, among other things…).

Maybe the guy was just trying to DISABLE the dog, you know, just graze its shoulder or something to keep it off him. (yes, I’m still “being funny”, just humor me, allright?) But that raises the question, why not just throw your cap over him? Hmm, policing is challenging work…

There’s something…ridiculous about Chihuahuas…if I had been that deputy, the dog probably would have PRETENDED to get shot, just to put me in a bad light…they’re like that, you know, very vindictive…

You see, this is why I’m not a joiner…I don’t want to dwell on the image of a small creature, blasted by a servant of the people (and all that…). I don’t watch The Kardashians on TV, either…oops, there I go again.

10. De Oppresso Liber says:

According to Sheriff Ryals, Deputy Dipschitt did not violate any laws or procedures? What is your department’s procedures for discharging a firearm in public? I’m pretty sure that would require an easily articulated situation wherein either the deputy’s life, or another citizen’s life were in eminent danger, or at least the risk of serious physical injury existed…… The sheriff is doing himself no favors by walking on eggshells in an attempt to minimize his department’s public relations damage.

• Bendix says:

Cruelty to animals is a law that comes to mind.
      The sheriff should not have brought up life and death decisions in relation to this case, either.
      It sounds like the sheriff could use some sort of training for himself.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

I don’t recall the sheriff specifically mentioning “life and death situations,” but he did bring up the deputy’s not violating any rules or regs, and also not violating any state laws. Of course, this story is also still in it’s infancy…

I was not there, and I certainly do not claim to know all of the facts, but I simply cannot imagine a law enforcement agency publicly recognizing that one of their deputies, a
        trained and sworn law enforcement officer, had “opportunities” (KEY WORD – PLURAL) to de-escalate the situation without employing his department issued firearm. And it doesn’t help his cause any at all that the targeted canine is a friggin’ chihuahua….

As far as the sheriff goes, he either needs to brush up on his grammar, or hire a speech-writer/public affairs officer to make his public comments for him 😉

11. Rose says:

I dog sit the neighbors Chihuahua-long haired around eight pounds-he’s yappy but harmless. I can’t imagine shooting something that small let alone killing a pet with a gun.

12. Mike in a Truck says:

Whatsit with these Deputies? The Coward of Broward now the Chihuahua Slayer. What next- The Goldfish Killer?Dont they give these mofo’s the battery of psychological tests I had to take in the Army to handle nuclear weapons? ” I would like to own a flower shop”. ” I think flowers are pretty”. “Sometime I wish I were a girl”. “I think people laugh at me behind my back” ” I wish I were a girl”.

• yonason says:

You do realize that in today’s culture, the more blue your location, the more appropriate those answers are. Common sense isn’t dead everywhere, but it is endangered.

13. KnowSERENoFear says:

Go fund me???

The sheriff should pay. Why should the public pay

14. James W Crawford says:

I recommend a public flogging and castration.

15. scorpion99man says:

First, you abuse animals. Then, you abuse people. This office was one step away from shooting someone. Thank goodness he was fired.

16. Bendix says:

The trigger-happy have NO PLACE in police work.

17. Bendix says:

OMG, I have to get off this thread now.
    The sickos come out to support the attempted murder of a tiny pet.
    There was no justification on God’s green Earth for what the cruel and dangerous cop did.
    Just because he’s a cop doesn’t mean he gets away with that.
    Maybe the animals Nikolas Cruz murdered had it coming, because they were small, and “behaving badly”?
    I can’t.

18. Kent says:

The homeowner is VERY lucky to still be alive.

19. maggiemoowho says:

This is when a homeowner should be allowed to stand his ground and use his weapon to protect his family and loved ones. That unstable cop could have turned and shot that homeowner in a blink of an eye. That POS is clearly unstable and he should never be allowed to own a gun or any other weapon again. No cop should be allowed to make a homeowner stay in there house and not help an injured animal or person. Way to much power and that is wrong. I hope that homeowner sues that jerk for everything he ownes, make him homeless.

20. Bob, Esq. says:

That’s not incompetence; that’s malevolence.

21. farrier105 says:

It’s been going on for a long time. Shooting dogs, and for that matter using SWAT tactics even against wimpy white collar types like Manafort, is just SOP today.

22. Richard Mays says:

We live in a police state. Our officers are no longer a part of the community, they are the oppressors of the communities. They do not walk beats or interact with the entire community. We have brought our military into our cities and trained them to oppress in order to control. Americans should reject this form of policing. It is the tactics of totalitarians and fascists. The “cops’ every conservative loves is a keeper of the peace that no longer exists. The training must be changed. Our officers should be protectors not enforcers.

23. yonason says:

Any sheriff who has seen this training film would have responded the same way. It’s the little furry ones that you have to watch out for, after all.

Seriously, how does a dog survive being hit by a bullet almost as big as it is? And, what sort of sheriff sees a chihuahua as any kind of threat?! True you can’t be 100% correct in assessing every threat, …but a chihuahua???? Oy-Gevaldt!

Glad the pooch survived, though. Hope it gets well. Probably be too terrified to ever bark at a stranger again, I’ll wager.

24. Joe Howell says:

Those guys are lucky they weren’t meet with a barrage of gunfire from inside the house after that.

25. Rhonda says:

So happy he was fired, but I dispute whether he didn’t break any laws. Animal abuse is a felony in most states.

26. Davidk says:

I have to say, the commenters on CTH have really changed since Philando Castile was shot by Officer Yanez back in July 2016. Back then I labeled Yanez a coward after watching the video, and plenty of people got on my case for attacking Yanez. I recall one commenter even telling me police never abuse their authority.

Good to see commenters here are more skeptical and critical of the police now. And good to see the cop was fired. Human adults generally don’t need firearms to resolve conflict with animals that weigh less than ten pounds. We can make exceptions for animals that are known for their deadly poison.

27. Chas says:

Find out where the deputy lives……

28. Wow, I’m so glad Reese’s is alive. Stupid cop! Who the heck shoots a Chihuahua?!