Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Glory to God in the highest, the Greater Doxology, is the song the angels sang at Christ’s birth. Perhaps no other song, no other phrase, so greatly expresses the joy of the moment.

I love all the children in this video. One of my favorite memories of Christmases past is that of our sons placing baby Jesus in the manger after coming home from Midnight Mass.

Our nativity always had an empty manger until Christmas, as a way to help our sons remember and anticipate the birth of our savior. Now we still follow that tradition and have a grandchild place Jesus in the manger.

May all hearts be opened as the moment we celebrate, remember, treasure, and rejoice in comes closer.  May we unite in this ancient call to our God as we celebrate His gift to all mankind.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Gloria In Excelsis Deo

1. Isn’t the singer with the dark hair David Archuletta of American Idol (who, FYI is a Mormon) ?

2. Peter Hollands!!
    Listen to his “Baba Yatu”. The Lord’s Prayer in another language (Swahili)

3. Johansen says:

Yep, without Christmas there would be no Easter

4. TreeClimber says:

Beautiful, Menagerie. Thank you for sharing.

5. trapper says:

Waiting under the stars.

6. ForGodandCountry says:

Sing all you in heaven! Shout all on earth!!

The Light of the World, King of kings rises from his eternal throne and steps down to take upon himself the lowly flesh of dust and poverty, to clothe himself in abject humility, to take upon himself the penalties for our sin in order to save us from ourselves so that we might dwell in his house with him in joy and peace, forever. We…Undeserving. No, not one righteous.

Utterly incomprehensible, except for this…..

“For there is no greater love than one who gives his life for another.”

Praise him all you heavens! Bow down to him all on earth! Glory to God in the highest!

Glory, power, blessings, and honor eternal to Jesus Christ… Emanuel…the name above all names!

7. Thank you for sharing!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours as the wait for God incarnate, come down from Heaven, is over soon. Aren’t we blessed?

8. Paintingjan says:

My favorite! I watch this every Christmas (well, since 2014!). And cry with the sheer beauty of the heavenly choir of angels joining in. (Mormon Tabernacle Choir). Simply breathtaking in the purity of the singers’ voices, the Nativity brought to life, and well, I just love this. Merry Christmas!

9. dallasdan says:

Magnificent. Thank you for sharing. I wept, happily.

10. Dances with Wolverines says:

Joy to the world! Peace on earth! Merry Christmas to all.

11. Johnny Bravo says:

Oh, my fellow treepers, be of good cheer.

We will not forget Our King of kings and Lord of lords!

Merry Christmas

12. InAz says:

Thank you for posting the video! It is my favorite, along with Handel’s Messiah.

Yes, David Archuleta is in the video, along with the Piano Guys and Peter Hollands.

13. MG says:

Merry Christmas!

14. InAz says:

And Merry Christmas!

We put out Luminarias…..hundreds of them…….candles in paper bags filled halfway with sand. It is a long standing tradition in New Mexico, where I grew up. The luminarias light the way for Mary and Joseph as they seek a room for the night.

My mother passed away December 25, 2015. At her funeral I told a story about my mother when she was a child. To end, I recited Isaiah 9 Verse 6, and Gloria, En Excelsis Deo, as these were my mother’s favorite Christmas songs.

15. kevin king says:

We used to often perform Vivaldi’s gloria at Xmas time. My favourite piece. I sang soprano as a young kid.

Happy christmas to you all

16. I’m glad no one else was around while I was watching.

17. Janice says:

Beautiful! Thank you all!

18. So beautiful. Thanks for posting!

19. free73735 says:

God Bless Menagerie, & very Merry Christmas!

(I stumbled across “The Piano Guys” on YouTube, & they fast became one of my favorites).

20. waltherppk says:

Gloria Gloria

Gloria in excelsis Deo Glory to God in the Highest
    Et in terra pax homnibus And on Earth peace to men
    Benedicimus te laudamus We bless Thee, praise Thee
    Adoramus te, gloria Highest, we worship Thee
    Gratias agimus We give thanks to Thee
    Propter magnam gloriam tuam For Thy great Glory
    Quoniam tu solus sanctus Thou alone are Holy
    Dominus tu solus altissimus Thou alone are the Most High
    Qui tolis peccata mundi Thou who takes away sins of the world
    Miserere nobis Have mercy on us
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris Thou who sits at the right hand of the Father
    Miserere nobis Have mercy on us
    Omnipotens Deus Pater Almighty God the Father
    Agnus Dei, Rex Coelestis, Deus Pater Lamb of God, King of Heaven, God the Father

21. Kate says:

My most favorite memory was Christmas Eve Mass at a small but beautiful church in St.Ignatius MT. in the 1940’s, the local Indian Tribe always came and would sit in the back of the church and sing their chants.
    One Christmas Eve during Mass it was very cold and the church lost electrical power, the only light was from the tall candles on the alter, which lit up the beautiful paintings above and behind the alter, the Indians were chanting and at 7 years old I thought it was the most beautiful and magical Christmas ever.
    Merry Christmas Everyone

22. Robert Smith says:

I’ve been listening to “pop” Christmas Songs for weeks now.

I intersperse it with the classical music I listen to most of time. I used to listen to a lot of classical music years ago but dropped off when I kicked my audiophile habit. I picked it back up a couple of years ago as my few remaining refuges from the Media and the 24 hours news/scare cycle.

My classical station is playing traditional Christmas songs right now. A lot of these songs have disappeared from the “pop” playlists because – you decide.

23. Lernie Wojack says:

Thank you for playing this video this Christmas.
    I remember seeing this last season. Jesus is truly the reason for the season.

24. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

Thanks for posting, Menagerie!

….. to Bethlehem.

25. drdeb says:

Thanks so much, Sundance. I have shared this everywhere! This brought tears of joy to my eyes.
    Merry Christmas, Treepers!

• The Tundra PA says:

This was Menagerie’s post, not Sundance’s. It was awesome, and brought tears of joy to my eyes also. Thanks Menagerie, and Merry Christmas to Treepers everywhere.

26. Flight93Gal says:

SD,

I just love the fact that each day you begin CTH with an open thread and a daily prayer.
    And then during holidays, you have special posts like this one at Christmas.

As an aside, our church performs an incredible “GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST” rendition every Sunday (except for advent when they switch to “OH COME EMANUEL”). Wow, I would love to get it and share here.

SD, you are a national treasure for keeping your faith front and center. Along with Grandma, we and VSGPDJT need all the prayers CTH can deliver!

Merry Christmas to all and God’s Blessings to you and all the readers of CTH!

• The Tundra PA says:

This was Menagerie’s post, not Sundance’s. Menagerie is the one responsible for the beautiful and informative posts on Christian holy days. Sundance posts the Daily Open Thread which always begins with the Lord’s Prayer. A powerful combination! We Treepers are lucky to have such awesome blog moderators. Thank you Sundance, Menagerie, Ad Rem, Wee Weed, Stella, Sharon, Patriot Dreamer, and ytz4me. Merry Christmas to all!.

27. notunderwhelmed says:

Uplifting…powerful … Glorious …
    This the season

28. Annie says:

this is just wonderful..I am sitting here over my computer and weeping..