Christmas Recipe Thread.

One more week to make preparations! It is time to get our grocery shopping done. If you are like me, you try to get things done ahead of time, prep what things you can, maybe even do some of the cooking a day or two before Christmas.

I meant to do an earlier treat for appetizers, party foods, and treats but I forgot, so this is it. It would be great if some of you would share special treats you take to parties or make for gifts, as well as the best of the best dishes saved just for Christmas.

For many years we took our children, when they were old enough, to Midnight Mass. Then we came home, opened presents, and afterward I made a huge breakfast of biscuits and gravy, some of the Christmas ham fried up, eggs, and perhaps even hash browns or grits. One of our biggest Christmas meals and celebrations was happening at about 3:00 in the morning.

We continued that tradition even after our sons were grown and moved out, they came home with us after mass and we did the presents and breakfast. The Christmas dinner later in the day was never as important as the breakfast was.

With the arrival of the first several grandchildren, the daughters in law and I scrapped that tradition, not without a lot of griping and complaining by the guys. Like I told them, that middle of the night meal should now be for each of their families when the kids are older, not something you drag babies out to.

So, maybe your big meal isn’t dinner, but breakfast or brunch, or maybe you have an Open House all day and friends and family drop in for drinks and snacks.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life and treasured moments, as well as good recipes!

Remember as you face the last mad dash toward Christmas to keep the joy in your heart and the reason in mind. Don’t let the preparations overwhelm the joy to be savored. Take moments to rest and reflect and prepare and give thanks.

Take a moment to say “Come, Lord Jesus. I wait for you with love and longing and hope and joy.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

304 Responses to Christmas Recipe Thread.

1. Jacaranda11816 says:

The most impressive Christmas party dessert I’ve ever seen was a huge Croquembouche. It looked like a stylized Christmas tree with beautiful, golden hues (from the caramel and the spun sugar.) Whatever else you may think of the French, you have to admit that they understand pastry!

I usually have my hands too full with other dishes to attempt a croquembouche at Christmas, but I’m posting this in case one of you treepers is feeling really ambitious…

2. Cathy M. says:

I’ll never forget the Christmas when my siblings demanded to have Christmas dinner at my house as everyone else had already done so, so now it’s my turn.

I said- have all of ya’ll lost your ever-loving Minds!!!?? My home at that time was only 1500 sf.!

Oh, Did I mention that I have 2 parents, nine siblings, 9 in-laws (spouses), 26 nieces/nephews & I lost track of how many great nieces & nephews. Total over 50 people. I had one dining table that sits only 4 & zero place for additional tables. Many had to eat standing in the hallway. But hey, they asked for it!

They had a lot of fun but I left my own house about 40 minutes into the festivities. No one even realized I was gone until 2 hours later.

• stella says:

My house is 900 square feet. I have five for Christmas Eve dinner every year – sometimes six. That’s all this house will hold!

• Cathy M. says:

And I want everyone to do their part concerning Global Warming this Christmas.

Stuff your tummies with plenty of turkey & a nice big juicy roast.

(Live Cows & Turkey’s flatulence emit methane gas, dead ones do not. ;-0)
      Merry Christmas.

3. Tereese says:

A really easy appetizer recipe is to wrap water chestnuts in bacon secured with a toothpick and bake in the oven at 450 degrees until the bacon is done. Transfer all those chestnuts to a crock pot and pour La Choy Sweet and Sour Sauce over them and heat on low. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas Treepers 😊🎄

• m3shelly says:

That sounds fantastic!

And another simple appetizer, a non-ranch based chip dip:
      Chop up one white onion
      Add to one package of room temperature cream cheese
      Blend well (I use my Kitchenaid)
      Add a tablespoon or two of Miracle Whip (until you can just taste it).

Serve with Ruffles (or similar) potato chips.

One of my favorite, and extremely simple recipes.

• LULU says:

How interesting! I’ve had the water chestnut-bacon thingies when they were baked. The rest of it, never. Must try.

• Jacaranda11816 says:

Hi Tereese, your post just spurred a memory from way, way back…my mom used to make delicious “Rumaki” appetizers which are as you describe but with a small piece of chicken liver on the inside with the water chestnut. I assumed they were Japanese but I just looked up the wiki for Rumaki…quite the background:

• BebeTarget says:

Theresa, I used to make a similar app ears ago (still one of my favorites). I have been going through my recipes and found this great one, you may like it because it’s so easy and so delicious . If you like GOUGERES but don’t want the bother of making them try this:
      EASY GOUGERES:
      8 oz. softened cream cheese
      1 cup grated parmesan
      1 egg
      Mix all, roll into balls and bake 359 for 1/2 hour.
      Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy and Healthy New Year

4. One of these Christmas’s I am going to try Beef Wellington………….is that a tradition with anyone here……any tips?

• Jacaranda11816 says:

You’re a daredevil, RTD. I’d be intimidated by knowing that the en croute has to be browned to perfection simultaneously with the interior beef reaching correct doneness; and you want to do it for dinner guests?…at Christmas?…your very first time making it? That’s the culinary equivalent of wing-walking. But if it works out, Brava!

• Shelly Hollatz says:

You must admit though, that photo looks fantastic! I’m sure it doesn’t help that I’m hungry right now.

• JTR says:

You sear the beef before wrapping in pastry. it ends up luscious! The best one I ever had was wrapped in proecuitto, duxelles and pastry. I thought I was gonna die of happiness!

• No doubt, this would test my chef skills……Gordon Ramsay makes it look easy; but he makes everything look easy.

• Our family made the Ramsey Wellington once, and filmed the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YrTgPBWbCY

• Richard…..wow. Beautiful ! Nice video, well done (the result, not the beef) !
            Thanks for posting.

• Lactantius says:

I enjoyed your enthusiasm and spirit immensely. I have had beef Wellington at formal dinners, prepared in pubs and those carefully crafted and made according a handed-down family recipe. As a gourmand when it comes to medium rare roasted beef, I do not much care for anything to interfere with the succulent flavor of the beef. A lousy Wellington is one in which you scrape all of fixings away and hope for redemption in the beef. An OK Wellington is one in which the pastry does not impart any larded flour flavor and the ham and “truffle” substitute is palatable. A really great Wellington is something I expect I will never meet. I place it in league with Peking duck. Something to experience, when well prepared, but not something I would order from a cruise ship menu.

• bour3 says:

English mustard. Pffffft. The world’s mustard seeds come from the Pakistan, India, Canada, Nepal, Myannmar, Russia, Ukraine, China United States. Yes, France grows its own mustard, but not nearly enough. (After U.S.)

Know what prepared mustard is? Ground mustard seed, vinegar and water. You can make it yourself easily. And freshly made, it’s the best mustard you’ll taste. I mean it. It’s ultra powerful. Especially if you grind your own seeds. (Juicers will tell you that all fresh food oxides in minutes. They make their juice and drink it immediately. Mustard seeds are no different. The full power diminishes very quickly). My favorite vinegar is rice vinegar, but other vinegars impart their own taste.

How much vinegar into the powder? Goes like this. Dump an entire tin of ground yellow mustard into a bowl. Don’t hold back. Don’t be shy. Add vinegar until it turns to thick sludge. Add water to thin the thick sludge to desired viscosity, boom, you’re a genius mustard maker. (It keeps absorbing more water) English mustard. Ha ha ha ha ha, stop it, you’re killing me. I checked on Wikipedia one time; mustard, horseradish, wasabi are the same family: Brassicaceae that includes broccoli and cabbage.

• LULU says:

Agree. In the past I have tried experimental cooking for guests. Not a good idea. (I remember tossing an unusual soup that curdled at the last moment down the disposal with my wide-eyed housekeeper looking on – “Don’t worry, Rosa. They didn’t know I was planning to offer a soup course.”) Best to stick with old faithfuls.

• Jacaranda11816 says:

She’s right! Like Julia Child famously said, “who’s going to know?”

It’s fun to swap Memorable Disasters — I once assumed my springform pan was leak-proof enough to handle pineapple upside down cake. I caramelized the entire bottom of my oven :-0

• It depends on who the “guests” are. I wouldn’t invite the Boss and his wife and go experimental. But I have close friends who enjoy food and we have had out share of failures with one another. In fact, this group encourages each other to have a dinner and “push the envelope”…………..

• cthulhu says:

The Fiancee has been known to do Beef Wellington in individual portions. IIRC, you sear the beef first to rare days in advance, cool and store, then allow to reach room temperature right before you assemble. Lay down a pastry square, put down the mushrooms and sauce, fold closed, and cook ’til the pastry is done. It’s a bit of a crapshoot on whether the beef comes out medium, but it’ll be somewhere between rare and well-done.

• LULU says:

I once made it. It came out fine. But it is vastly overrated. Would rather have a filet (steak) cooked under the broiler…

• Cisco says:

Buy pre-made.
      Omaha Steakhouse sells individual portions and other online shopping will find tasty options including full size.
      Our family tried a full size, but I admit, the beef was tasty but that crust left a little to be desired.
      But with a few glasses of wine 😋
      Although I admire your sense of adventure 👍

• maga2004 says:

RTD, we are having slow roasted prime beef, using the reverse sear method for Christmas dinner.

• WhoMeTwo says:

I make this for Valentine’s Day. Lightly sear your meat, and let it cool completely prior to encasing in your dough…. unless you like your meat “bleu” (very rare), then just wrap it and cook it… It’s really an easy dish to prepare, just has a lot of steps.

5. I wish we all could post pictures of our Christmas Day tables; it would be fun to see them all…..from country casual to urban chic, east coast/west coast, the cold north to the warm gulf.

6. Liberty Forge says:

Here’s a side dish recipe that is our family tradition. It goes great with ham, and also as a compote over vanilla ice cream.

CURRIED FRUIT

1 can (29 oz) Peach Halves
    1 can (29 oz) Pear Halves
    1 can (20 oz) Pineapple Chunks
    1 jar (6 oz) Maraschino Cherries

Drain fruit & layer in a casserole dish. Heat: 1 stick of butter; 3 TBSP of curry powder; 3 TBSP of flour; 1/2 cup of brown sugar in a saucepan to a gentle simmer. Simmer & stir until slightly thickened.

Pour mixture over fruit; cover & refrigerate for 24 hours.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve & enjoy!

7. I used to find these everywhere; but no longer…delicious buttery/almond cream pastries in the form of Jesuit three=cornered hat. Very traditional French Christmas treats.

8. Plain Jane says:

Going to make this as a vegie. Clean and allergyfriendly. Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Pomegranate. It’s beautiful and extremely delish.

9. Plain Jane says:

Yes, I have a thing for bacon….Bacon Wrapped Pears for appetizers.

10. Deplorable_Infidel says:

MILE HlGH CAPPUCCINO MOUSSE PIE

(Recipe by Ballistari Bakery, located on Niagara Street in Buffalo, NY 9/28/1998)

Serves 14-16

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Crust

One 10 inch pie plate
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    6 tbsps. unsalted butter
    1 tsp. vegetable oil
    3/4 cup sugar

In a small bowl combine ingredients
    Press into pie plate (not too hard, otherwise it may stick)
    Bake for 15 minutes and set aside to cool.

Filling

16 oz. good semi-sweet chocolate. (Block or choc, chips)
    (Set aside one oz. for shaving onto top as garnish)
    6 eggs (Separated)
    2 quarts heavy cream
    5 tbsps. powdered cappuccino mix (any flavor – amount to taste)

1. Beat one quart of heavy cream and refrigerate.
    2. Separate eggs into two bowls
    3. Melt chocolate.
    4. While chocolate is melting, beat egg whites until very stiff
    (prefer copper bowl – chill bowl and beaters)
    5. Temper egg yolks by adding a bit of melted chocolate
    to the yolks so they don’t scramble and add yolk mixture to
    remaining chocolate
    6. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into mixture.
    7. Gradually fold beaten cream into mixture.
    8. Place into cooled pie shell and chill for one hour
    9. Beat remaining cream, slowly adding the Cappuccino powder a little at a time.
    10. Top pie with shaved chocolate and chill till ready to serve.
    (Best when made the night before serving)

Yes, this really uses 2 full quarts of heavy cream. that is why it serves 14-16!

11. liz says:

! PUMPKIN PIE CAKE
    1 can pumpkin (29 oz) 4 eggs • 1 can evaporated milk 1 1/2 cups of sugar or honey 1 t. ginger • 2 t. cinnamon
    1/2 . salt • 1 yellow cake mix • 1 cup chopped nuts • 1 cup melted butter
    Mix first 7 ingredients and pour into ungreased 9×13 cake pan. 2. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin (drizzle butter over mix).
    3. Sprinklie with nuts. 4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

12. Louisiana Tea Rose says:

Grilled Ribeyes, baked potato, veggie on Christmas Eve….the traditional turkey and cornbread dressing happens around Thanksgiving.

Then the hubster leaves around 2AM and heads down to south Texas on Christmas Day, and I go to work Christmas night.

13. Monticello says:

Salt cured ham. (Smithfield is one of the better choices)
    These are the smoked hams wrapped in cheese cloth, some are sugar cured, some salt but either is very salty.

Pre soak entire ham in large kettle at least 24 to 36 hours before baking.
    Pour off the soak and add fresh water a couple times otherwise the ham will be too salty.
    After soaking bake as normal.
    Slice as thin as you possibly can and serve at room temperature or warmed as one of your main courses. Leftover slices frozen in small portions make excellent Virginia ham breakfast servings.

Venison barbeque for a Christmas side dish.
    Any cuts of venison reduced to stew meat size chunks, about 3 pounds. (Lean beef stew meat or other lean beef cuts are a suitable substitute.)
    Cover with water in Crock-Pot with one whole medium onion and a bit of salt. Cook at least 2.5 hours after crock pot reaches high temperature….up to 5 hours max.
    Drain all liquid and toss the whole onion away.
    In bowl while still hot pull the BBQ apart with two forks until shredded.
    Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce, (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s) until BBQ sticks together or until you’re happy with the taste and consistency. Serve hot or cold alone or on biscuits or buns.

The venison BBQ is of course great as a main dish throughout the year.

Merry Christmas
    Monticello.

14. kyblue says:

Id like to share a corn pudding recipe. It’s an old family recipe, just not my family – a friend’s family. This warm, welcoming family sparked my interest in cooking.

Corn Pudding

2 pkg. white shoe peg corn in butter sauce
    (Green Giant pouches), thawed
    1/3 c. Sugar
    3T. Flour
    6 eggs
    2 C. Half & Half

Coat a baking dish with spray oil. Mix all the ingredients right in the dish. Bake at 350 for one hour. Stir several times when it begins to thicken. It is done when it’s firm in the middle.

Can be halved easily.

15. teaforall says:

Made this last year and everyone loved it my Son took what little was left home

16. SalixVeridi says:

Even though this calls for a blackberry filling, I am going to use raspberry filling instead with raspberry preserves. But you can use anything in the middle, even apricot! !

Thank you Sundance for the beautiful sentiment; we all have something to be grateful for…look for it, if only to be deeply thankful that we live in the USA, the most wonderful people and country in the world!

17. Tottie Mitchell says:

Texas Caviar for early munchies. Black-eyed pea (good luck) salsa. Standing rib roast, yorkshire pudding, mashed taters, brocoli with homemade Hollandaise- only butter egg and lemon. Perhaps fresh strawbs with whipped cream on little sponge cake rounds.

18. stella says:

I do my big dinner on Christmas Eve for just a small family group. Usually (including this year) I do prime rib of beef, salad, green vegetable, baked sliced potatoes in cream, garlic and gruyere cheese, and a berry trifle for dessert.

• LULU says:

Prime rib was my late Mother’s Christmas dinner. She was a pro and had her butcher wrapped around her little finger… Missing her and Dad in a million ways….

• BebeTarget says:

That’s what we do too, Stella. Our festivities begin when everyone arrives at the house the day before Christmas, after the early church service. We have homemade eggnog , cocktails and apps. (One app a friend shared was round, scooped out red peppers, filled with small mozzarella balls . . . both available at the salad bar. and so easy). Then we have a dinner of lettuce soup, prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, Brussel sprouts and scalloped potatoes. After dinner we pull apart our Christmas crackers and have lots of fun putting on the crowns and playing the games and jokes contained inside the crackers. Dessert is homemade chocolates and all kinds of Christmas cookies. After all the grandchildren are put to bed, the adults have after dinner drinks and exchange presents,
      Christmas morning everyone is in their jammies and bathrobes . . . kids eating whatever they want while the adults drink Irish coffee and watch the children open their gifts from Santa. Next comes nap time and grazing.
      Can’t wait to do it again next year.

19. moe2004 says:

Two items on my agenda for today, prepare stuffing for mushrooms and make Ina’s caramelized onion dip. Need to do some cleaning for Christmas Eve. Sunday I will prep my vegies and make a horseradish cream sauce. Merry Christmas!

• BebeTarget says:

Moe, I always make Ina’s caramelized onion dip for Thanksgiving and this year I couldn’t find my recipe. I went online and all I could find was her caramelized onion dip recipes that contained mayo, which was not in the original. I made it and it wasn’t very good. Then I found the original and made it again. DELICIOUS! Some of my faves are stuffed mushrooms and horseradish cream sauce, too. We should exchange recipes . . I think we like the same things!

20. I am making my homemade beef stock this morning. The house is beginning to smell like Christmas cooking. I had a heck of a time finding beef bones. It takes a lot. Apparently, what butcher used to almost give away (we used them for the dogs), are now being marketed as trendy “marrow bones”…………….I use Emerill Lagassee’s receipe. Make enough to store some in the freezer for soups and such later in the year.

After making your own stock; it is near impossible to be happy with the canned stuff. Give it a shot.

21. LULU says:

I know what I have been wanting to ask you bacon lovers. (I’m one, too.) If you are stuck having to buy commercial bacon, is there a brand that has a really good bacony taste?????

Thank you.

22. MMA says:

Easy and foolproof buffet dish! Mashed Potato Casserol for 15-25 people
    1: large size box instant mashed potatoes- buy good quality, not generic! [Do not be tempted to use freshed prepared and mashed potatoes, the dish won’t come out right]
    1: large container whole milk ricotta cheese
    2: 8- oz boxes cream cheese, cubed
    1: stick of butter, diced
    Halve the recipe if you have a smaller group

Prepare your instant potatoes in a large pot or Dutch oven following package directions but with more milk than water, and less liquid than the directions say so.
    This way, the potatoes come out a little drier than usual. Once they are cooking, turn the fire down lower and add the Ricotta and the cream cheese cubes. Fold the cheeses into the hot potatoes until they are well incorporated. If the cubes don’t melt perfectly, it’s fine.
    Turn potatoes out into a large oven – safe casserole dish that leaves enough room to top with butter, mounding them up nicely and smoothing the surface for a good presentation. Arrange the diced butter evenly over the surface of the potatoes. If you think the melted butter might spill over the sides, place the casserole dish on a jelly roll pan lined with a few thicknesses of paper towels to absorb the excess.

Bake the casserole until the top crusts into a beautiful gold brown. You have a lot of versatility with the temperature; time will vary depending on how hot the oven is. I bake mine alongside the turkey or my prime rib roast during its last two hours of baking. Or you can bake it alone.

It will definitely feed 15 to 25 people and its perfect for potluck or family gatherings. Foolproof. Looks pretty, tastes great. Don’t ask me about the calories though. 😁
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

23. InAz says:

My family prefers butternut squash pie over pumpkin pie. I use Splenda instead of sugar because my husband is diabetic.

I roast the butternut squash in the oven, let it cool, then puree it.

I use the Libby’s Pumpkin pie recipe….. substitute Splenda for sugar. **** The most important thing is to reduce the liquid because of the Splenda…..I use 4 ounces of evaporated milk and 4 ounces of heavy cream.******. ( I have an electronic scale to measure/weigh the pureed squash and liquids. )

I also put in extra cinnamon because we love cinnamon.
    Bake according to the Libby’s Pumpkin pie recipe directions.

Butternut squash also makes wonderful yeast bread. The squash adds fiber and vitamins and the bread is a beautiful yellow/golden color. The taste of squash is not discernable at all……tastes like regular homemade fresh yeast bread. People ask how I get the beautiful color in the bread and are surprised to learn that butternut squash is used.

24. tappin52 says:

Every year my sister cans candied jalapeños. A nice appetizer that she makes is just to spread cream cheese on a cracker and top the cheese with some candied jalapeños. Yummy.

25. Jeff says:

So many great ideas here! This page is geting bookmarked….

26. Right to reply says:

Cauliflower cooked. jar of Alfredo mixed with cup of sharp cheddar, half cup grated Parmesan. Pour over cauli and bake until golden. Very nice with a thick pork chop

27. I often make this fudge recipe… it used to be on the Hershey’s cocoa tins. It’s delicious but a bit difficult because this “Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss” is very hard to judge and there are times when I missed the window of opportunity and end up with hardened fudge in the pot and in a hardened flow coming out of the pot haha!

Rich Cocoa Fudge
    Ingredients:
    2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa or HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 cups sugar
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    1-1/2 cups milk
    Directions:
    1. Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234∞F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)

3. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room temperature to 110∞F (lukewarm). Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. About 36 pieces or 1-3/4 pounds.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

• LULU says:

My late Mother made this kind of finicky fudge using Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate – the bitter stuff that came in small scored paper-wrapped blocks and had to be chopped… I recall it had to be cooked to just the right point, cooled until it was just the right point, beaten as you describe and miserable to beat. And to get out of the pan before it set up. It was rich and the best fudge I’ve ever eaten.

(I flunked making her fudge.)

• stella says:

My mother always made this fudge. I can never get it right!

• yy4u says:

My neighbors made this fudge in the 1940’s. It was DELICIOUS. They taught me how to make it and I could. But I lost the recipe somewhere during the decades and all other fudge recipes I’ve found in books aren’t it! this is it! That said, my guess is I’ve lost my beating knack and soft ball identifying eye ergo I would make one unholy glob of a mess if I tried again. Nevertheless, I might give it a whirl next year. No other fudge comes close to this one.

28. ForGodandCountry says:

I love these threads. ❤️

29. vikingmom says:

My son’s very favorite Christmas tradition…I have made them for years and everyone loves them and wants to know what makes them SO creamy. I usually don’t tell anyone because they immediately declare they won’t try them, but sometimes, after they have eaten a half-dozen or so, I break the news to them! Super easy and the recipe can be doubled or tripled with no problem

Fudge Balls

1 cube butter
    4 oz. Velveeta cheese (yes, really…THIS is the magic ingredient!)
    3 ½ cups powdered sugar
    ¼ cup baking cocoa
    1 tsp vanilla

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil *
    (Melted together)

½ cup white chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons Coconut Oil *
    (Melted together)

(*Crisco works, too)

Mix sugar and cocoa together in large bowl. Melt together butter and cheese over low heat. Pour into bowl and then add vanilla. Stir all ingredients together and then let cool.

Once mixture is cooled, shape into small balls and roll into first chocolate mixture. Place onto wax paper lined tray and put into fridge. When completely set, melt together second chocolate mixture and drizzle over in a decorative pattern.

Store in refrigerator

30. Patriot1783 says:

Thank you Menagerie, love your posts and all the treepers recipe ideas.

31. Here’s a new twist on a classic… Green Bean Capperole
    Can of Frenched Green Beans, condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, fried onions from the can, gruyere cheese, and mushrooms. Hollow out the mushrooms, mix green beans with soup, cheese, and onions, stuff in the mushrooms after coating shrooms with olive oil. Top with onions and more shredded gruyere, bake until nice and brown. I’ve found the smaller mushrooms are better, though a lot more work. Use a spoon to scrape the gills and carve a hollow, the more room the better. Great appetizer!

32. cripto says:

I thought folks might like to see some history & Christmas menus. One is from 1864 Philadelphia army hospital:

Michael Beschloss
    Michael Beschloss
    @BeschlossDC
    Civil War Christmas menu in Philadelphia army hospital, 1864: pic.twitter.com/fp53ZxOf9l

The second menu is when Churchill dined at the White House in 1941:

Michael Beschloss
    @BeschlossDC
    11h
    Menu for 1941 White House Christmas dinner, where FDR had Churchill as guest: pic.twitter.com/IykXGRKN20
    View photo ·

Michael Beschloss’s twitter is packed with little known facts, photos and trivia about the Presidents. Well worth a read.
    Enjoy and Happy Christmas!

• Jacaranda11816 says:

Those aren’t showing up as valid links, Crypto…so I’ll try to repost…

• BebeTarget says:

Thank you Jaca… . . . I LOVE historical menus . . . The book Madame Savignee’s Letters describe meals from17th century. France. I would love to know what Cleopatra, Aristotle and Julius Caesar ate. A Taste of History is a wonderful cooking program that gives us a glimpse of the menus from our Founding Fathers’ tables.

• Jacaranda11816 says:

Thank you, Bebe…wow, are we on the same wavelength or what?! I first got interested in historical food years ago when making some almond biscotti from a recipe that described how the Roman army survived on (savory) biscotti thanks to it’s light, dehydrated state.

From there, Nichola Fletcher’s book on the history of feasting, “Charlemagne’s Tablecloth,” detailed incredible, obscenely lavish feasting practices through the centuries. The title refers to an asbestos table covering Charlemagne would dramatically set on fire midway through days of elaborate feasting to incinerate all the discarded food waste…so that everyone could resume feasting again! Baller move, no?

• Jacaranda11816 says:

ok good it worked. Thanks so much, Crypto, for going the historical route! I have a small shelf-full of antique cookbooks. My daughter and I love to research and make historical recipes — both everyday recipes from the past and recipes from historical occasions (for example, we once made the blueberry coffee cake that was served at the Emancipation Proclamation Breakfast.) Even individual ingredients have a story to tell. Here’s a great salad with Mache from Epicurious that we make… https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mache-and-green-apple-salad-with-pancetta-and-almonds-238525
      ….but they don’t mention that it was Jefferson who brought back mache from France and propagated it here so successfully that you can pretty much yank some mache out of your backyard if you live in the eastern US.
      I’m up super early because I have a full day of cooking ahead but if I can find a few interesting historical recipes that are Christmas-related, I’ll post them …

33. notunderwhelmed says:

“Listening” to the stories and traditions linked to the recipes brings back memories of so many happy times with friends and relatives. It is charming ! 🌲

34. Amy2 says:

No Name Awesome Cake

Ingredients:
    1 chocolate fudge cake mix
    1 jar Smucker’s caramel topping (Hershey’s is even better, but might make your cake a little too moist)
    1 can Sweetened condensed milk
    1 container Cool Whip

Make the cake per box instructions in a 9X13 pan. When out of the oven, let it sit briefly, then take a wooden spoon, and with the handle end, poke holes in the cake (rows) about 3/4″ apart. Pour the can of condensed milk into all the holes, going back and forth as it is absorbed into the cake. Repeat with the caramel sauce. Let cake cool in fridge (preferably overnight). Top with Cool Whip and some crushed chocolate chips. This cake is a little pricey but it easy to make and the taste is to die for!

35. Donna in Oregon says:

I love Southern Living recipes. They never disappoint.

We have special Xmas breakfast….this is a fun one here put in Slow Cooker for 4 hours, takes 20 minutes to put together. Done! Sugar high for days 🙂

Here are some healthier versions, I go crazy at Xmas for goodies….I know….I’ll pay for it later. I’m okay with that 🙂

• amwick says:

TY Donna
      I am trying to shake a bad mood… maybe trying a new recipe… that one sounds awesome..

This is my all time favorite treat… It sounds weird, but think of the bestest, most creamy ice cream you have ever had in your life,,, that is how it turns out..

White chocolate macadamia nut pudding shots

1 small Pkg. white chocolate pudding (instant, not the cooking kind)
      ¾ Cup Milk
      ¾ Cup Trader Vic’s Macadamia Nut Liqueur
      8oz tub Cool Whip

Directions

1. Whisk together the milk, liquor, and instant pudding mix in a bowl until combined. 2. Add cool whip a little at a time with whisk. 3.Spoon the pudding mixture into shot glasses, disposable ‘party shot’ cups or 1 or 2 ounce cups with lids. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours..

THis takes minutes to make, but you have to allow for the freezer.
      Usually I make a batch then run around the neighborhood and drop some off with our friends…

36. merrly says:

Try this humble Beer Bread – it is quick, inexpensive, and easy to make. You can use it for any occasion & everyone loves it. NOTE: USE WHEAT BEER.
    You can use flavored beer, but plain beer is the original way.
    * I have made it with both regular size and double size loaf pans.

Old Fashioned Beer Bread

3 cups SELF RISING flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 (12oz) Bottle Beer
    Melted butter.

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Grease (or butter) and flour a loaf pan.
    Spread mixture into pan, using a brush of your fingers to smooth out the top of the loaf with melted butter.

Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
    After baking, remove bread, slit the top and brush 1/4 stick of melted butter into it, then bake another 10 minutes.

Remove and cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes.

37. moe2004 says:

This thread needs to be bumped please! Made my potatoes, blanched the green beans, roasted the baby carrots with butter and maple syrup, just have the horseradish sauce and prime rib to make the house smell amazing. Oh and the rolls, the kids love those dumb Pillsbury things on tv. A good tired, looking forward to our annual Christmas Eve, then Christmas at my sisters. Merry Christmas all!

38. BAM says:

Finished my baking today; made several pies. I found a place to buy 5″ pie pans (made in America too!), and are just perfect for making a 1/2 of a 9″ pie, pie dough and filling! I made 2 pies that I split into 2, so that I can share. Tried a maple pecan pie and an old favorite that I haven’t made in a long time, that I call pick a flavor cheesecake pie. The maple pecan smells wonderful and the cheesecake pie uses a canned filling topped with a thin cheesecake layer. Also did a dairy free pumpkin “custard” pie for my daughter so she can take it home afterwards tomorrow, and a small Kentucky pumpkin pie for us. Daughters are doing poultry, one is doing a turkey and the other is trying out Peking Duck. Should be interesting!!