The Second Sunday Of Advent

GospelLK 1:26-38

The angel Gabriel was sent from God
to a town of Galilee called Nazareth,
to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph,
of the house of David,
and the virgin’s name was Mary.
And coming to her, he said,
“Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.”
But she was greatly troubled at what was said
and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.
Then the angel said to her,
“Do not be afraid, Mary,
for you have found favor with God.
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son,
and you shall name him Jesus.
He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High,
and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,
and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever,
and of his Kingdom there will be no end.”
But Mary said to the angel,
“How can this be,
since I have no relations with a man?”
And the angel said to her in reply,
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.
Therefore the child to be born
will be called holy, the Son of God.
And behold, Elizabeth, your relative,
has also conceived a son in her old age,
and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren;
for nothing will be impossible for God.”
Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.
May it be done to me according to your word.”
Then the angel departed from her.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The Second Sunday Of Advent

1. Mike says:

A voice of one crying out in the desert: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.
    Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low.
    The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth,
    and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”

2. MaryfromMarin says:

Holy blessings on this second Sunday in Advent…

• packysite says:

And to you as well! May the peace of our Lord be within all our souls forever .
      Merry Christmas everyone!

Ps. Thank you Sundance Merry Christmas

• frankie says:

The website howtobeyourowndetective.com has a remarkable post called “Pearl Harbor, and Bernadette, Witness to the Truth.” It reads like a mashup of Sundance and Menagerie. The author, an investigator, analyzes the witness statement of Bernadette of Lourdes, and adds takes from the movie “Song of Bernadette” and Jennifer Warnes’ song of the same title, to explain her testimonys effect upon millions of people and to mock petty tyrants and to urge examination of conscience.

3. LibertyONE says:

AMEN!

4. Mark Gordon says:

Thank you for beginning your outstanding blog with the Word of God. It really makes a difference.

5. James Street says:

“We are all meant to be mothers of God.
    What good is it to me if this eternal birth of the divine Son takes place unceasingly, but does not take place within myself?
    And, what good is it to me if Mary is full of grace if I am not also full of grace?
    What good is it to me for the Creator to give birth to his Son if I do not also give birth to him in my time and my culture?
    This, then, is the fullness of time: When the Son of Man is begotten in us.”
    – Meister Eckhart

• Sentient says:

uh…

• BB says:

God Didn’t “give birth “ to Jesus. The holy virgin did. God caused her to conceive. You almost make it sound like Mary is our creator.

• pacnwbel says:

In a literal sense, yes it was Mary who birthed Jesus, but I think that Meister Eckhart was expressing a deeper symbolism of Christ dwelling within all of us when we accept him as our Lord

• joan says:

OK. But the 2nd Sunday of Advent is About Mary & the visitation of Gabriel to tell her of God’s plan. That’s the focus here. The merging of Heaven and Earth after the rupture of Adam and Eve. Let’s not get too full of ourselves with the “we all have Christ dwelling within us” unless we’d like to go and be crucified ourselves. I get you’re saying we have the niceness to treat our fellow man with dignity and give money to charitable causes but unless you’re willing to sell everything you have and live on the road as Matthew states about the rich man getting to heaven you’re back to buying indulgences for ‘good deeds’ which Luther was against. So there really isn’t a deeper symbolism of Christ within all of us. That’s mumbo jumbo new age feel good stuff. Christ was about making sure all of us got to heaven by staying away from evil and He was very clear about what that evil was and a lot of it had to do with sex which is why the left is pressing hard to make the Bible & God a book nobody believes in or reads ever again.

So on this 2nd Sunday of Advent – we’re celebrating a virgin conception. A miracle. Between God (the Holy Spirit) and Mary so that Jesus Christ, a savior of men (writ large means humanity) would be born. Without Mary there’d be no baby. Without Gabriel, there’d be a very scared young girl. And this is what I really want to speak to: Messages from God. Sometimes we get to hear directly from the divine how our lives are being directed, like Mary seeing the Angel and its a major blessing. Other times its a case of missed keys for the car causing a search for 5 minutes that cleared the traffic which would’ve caused the accident leaving chaos in your life. God is still here. Around us everywhere. We, in our busy lives, just have to be open to Him and put down the iphone, stop the playstation4/xbox, or turn off the tv.
          I’ve carved out 15 minutes a day, detached, to see if I can hear Him.
          Especially this season.
          Merry Christmas.

• trumpismine says:

Romans 46:10
            Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
            listen to your heart and the Holy Spirit

• Boots says:

“,,,,Christ was about making sure all of us got to heaven by staying away from evil…”
            —–

Jesus never said we get to heaven by avoiding evil. He said:
            “I am the way, the truth, and life. No man cometh unto the Father except by Me.” (Jn 14:6)

Peter and John, who were closest to Jesus of the 12, never preached that men are saved by avoiding evil. When arrested for preaching the resurrection and Lordship of Christ, Peter and John, both full of the Spirit, testified before the Sanhedrin, saying this:
            “Salvation exists in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)

If salvation came through avoiding evil, Jesus would’ve never needed to be born.

• KittyKat says:

• MGBSE says:

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was born to the Virgin Mary as a helpless human baby – just as we are all helpless human babies… who then grew into a man to suffer and die as a human, for us, and rise on the 3rd Day, as promised by God…and now as God the Son of Man, sits at the Right Hand of God the Father…God the Holy Spirit brings us the Knowledge, Grace and Enlightenment of the Gift from Jesus – Eternal Salvation – should we choose to accept it – per another Gift from God – Free Will…both wonderful AND dangerous.

• KittyKat says:

6. Grandma Covfefe says:

Amen…

7. Brian in CA4 says:

Amen!

8. ForGodandCountry says:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
    John 3:16

9. Angelle Staria says:

Thank you for the reminder of what the real truth and spirit of Christmas is and has always been and always be.

It is to our moral, physical, spiritual and national detriment and destruction to casually pass-over this great thing our God did, to offer and sacrifice His Son for our Redemption so that we may not perish in our sins but have ever lasting life with Him.

The bottom line of all of the deep of the deep of our personal, national and political problems, polarization and a thousand other evil things that vex so many today is because so many have left God and do not believe His word and live according to the perfect truth graciously given to us to conduct our personal lives and our national life by to be blessed accordingly.

Shalom always and forever,
    AS

10. Jay Currie says:

There is only one story more compelling than the Advent…Easter.

Thank you for this Sundance.

11. Lanna says:

Menagerie, thank you for helping us stay in tune with our spiritual nature. Your posts are always a refuge, no matter what turmoil goes on in the outside world.

12. eweturn8 says:

from The Bible Project Team

Announcing the arrival of our Peace

13. notunderwhelmed says:

A blessed reminder of the season and where our primary focus must be. 🌠

14. Folks, I’m an UNASHAMED Christian, albeit not a good one, and if it were not for MY Dear Lord and Savior Jesus Birth, I would have NO Hope to cling To. My past has not been Sin Free. The Deeds I’ve done Jesus is all to aware of. But yet, Jesus, has taken Pity on Me, Washed my Face, cleaned the Blood from my SINFUL hands on way too many occasions. Jesus has calmed my Night Terrors from my Youth and is Long Suffering of my Sins to this Day. I try to Thank the Lord everyday for his Mercy and Kindness he Pours out upon my Head and only asks that I believe in Him, Love My Neighbor as Myself and Keep his Commandments.
    ~The last two parts is where I Stumble.~

15. cliffaheadwolvesbehind says:

Menagerie, thank you for this brief moment of peace.

16. P says:

Desiring God Verified account @desiringGod 5h5 hours ago

John Piper: “When you are truly born again and grow in the grace and knowledge of what the Lord has done for you, your fellowship with God will be sweet, and your assurance that He is your Father will be deep. I want that for you.”

“You Must be Born Again” “The new birth produces new desires and new behaviors. An unchanged life is not a born-again life.”

Philippians: 1:6 “And I am persuaded of this same thing, that He that hath begun this good work in you, will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ,” (1599 Geneva Bible)

17. mariner says:

Thank you, Menagerie.

18. MILupper says:

Thank you Menagerie.
    Mary’s head must have been swimming in thought at what was happening. Yet she put her complete trust in God. Can any of us imagine what the plan the Good Lord has in store for us?
    One of my favorites especially this this Sunday in Advent.

19. fallingsnow says:

Amen

20. Menagerie I look forward every Advent / Christmas and Easter to your posts. I learn so much from your posts and the comments.

21. tessa50 says:

Thank you Menagerie for your threads here.