Saturday October 20th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

284 Responses to Saturday October 20th – Open Thread

1. youme says:

Tales Of Nuclear Cruiser USS Long Beach From A Sailor Who Built His Career Aboard Her

This is the story of Master Chief Douglas Healey’s Navy journey and the historic and enigmatic ship he kept coming back to.

2. nikkichico7 says:

Happy Caturday .. 😺

3. Les Standard says:

4. jello333 says:

I haven’t noticed any posts about this story here… the one where the Florida store-owner shot a shoplifter. This one really had me worried, because even though there are obviously cases where such a shooting is justified, this was NOT one. It’s clear from the video that the store-owner was in no danger, and was in fact CREATING whatever danger there may have been. But since he was claiming “stand your ground”, I thought there’d be a good chance prosecutors would decline to indict. And we all know what THAT would mean: “Oh, it’s just like the Zimmerman case!”, though of course it’s no remotely similar, and George and O’Mara/West didn’t even ARGUE “stand your ground”. But fortunately it looks like I was wrong… the shooter IS being charged.

Also, this dude’s lawyer better keep his mouth shut if he wants his client to get a fair trial. After watching the video, this statement really made me mad: ” ‘There was a video, it clearly shows that the shoplifter was wielding an ax,’ Franklin told WFLA. ‘He had no choice, but to protect himself, and that’s what we hope that this trial will prove.’ ” If THAT is the attitude they’re gonna have while trying to mount a defense, he may as well just plead guilty right now.

As anyone who’s known me over these past several years knows, I am ALL for anyone who needs to use self-defense, even if it’s a borderline case. But this ain’t one of those. This looks VERY much like a guy who was angry… so angry he was willing to KILL a person.

• jello333 says:

Wow… I couldn’t figure out why the guy’s name sounded so familiar. Michael Dunn. But now I remember… same name as the guy convicted in the “loud music” car shooting. That one was also in Florida. Weird.

• Ldave says:

I haven’t seen the video and am not weighing in on the guilt or innocence of the shopkeeper. I will say that , lately, I’ve been telling a lot of folks to cm down. We don’t need to make a federal case out of everything. Geesh.

• jello333 says:

Yeah, agree. I’ll probably not pay much attention to this case from now on. It’s just that I saw the video without knowing anything about it, and then heard the guy was claiming stand-your-ground and might not be prosecuted. But it was clear to me from the video that it was not the case here, and I knew this would be used as an attack against SYG and just self-defense in general. So that’s why I was hoping the prosecutors did the right thing here, so the idiots out there couldn’t start up with the “See?! Ban guns!” blah blah blah. But yeah, beyond that, this should just wind up as a local case, rather than be 24/7 on TV.

• BigMamaTEA says:

jello…..just saw the brief vid. Once the perp was out the door……at least here….the threat was gone. We have a pharmacist in prison here basically for the same thing. Had the pharmacist not gotten “caught up in rage”…….One of the perps he shot inside the pharmacy (bad neighborhood, multiple robberies, PHARMACY) made it out of the building….pharmacist followed and shot perp again.

5. bessie2003 says:

Just stopping by to say Thank You Sundance! Been following your twitter thread this morning waiting for the RSBN rally to start airing, and catching up on different twitter sites, just been enjoying it so much! Saturday morning chuqles!

Refreshing!

• Justice says:

Me too Sundance. Always a pleasure to be here with you and all the many brilliant people. God bless you all and Keep America Great!

• The Tundra PA says:

You might consider hitting the Donate button to make your appreciation concrete, if you haven’t already. Contributing monthly to the excellent work done here is part of my budget, and feels very right to me; the Treehouse contributes every day to my education and my entertainment. Thanks Sundance and Treepers all!

• bessie2003 says:

Have been able to do that from time to time. Always wish it was more, and more often, but if we all can do what we can, when we can, definitely well worth it! Great reminder.

6. bessie2003 says:

A fellow Treeper just gave CTH and Sundance a shout out at the Elko Rally on RSBN! Go Treepers!

7. Janie M. says:

Noooo!! Looking out my bedroom window… I see huge white flakes swirling in the wind! We were suppose to get rain but since it’s 31 degrees, not surprised to see them. Been in this state since ’72… I am tired of winter – getting too old for this crap.

• Janie M. says:

BigMama, about 35 year ago or so, my then husband and I rented a town home in one of our suburbs. Frequently we heard loud and unusual bird cries. Turns out one the neighbors on the other side of the road kept peacocks. Initially, I thought it was really cool. After a couple weeks of this, not so much. Noisy birds.

• jello333 says:

Hmm… we have stray cats, plenty of squirrels, and birds, some possums, and the occasional raccoon… even a fox once last year (and we live in the middle of town). But so far no peacocks, though maybe I just haven’t been watching at the right time. 😉

• nikkichico7 says:

I hear ya Janie, I’m in Michigan … we had rain mixed with hail and the clouds looked like snow clouds … ugh 😑 ..

Northern states is no place for old folks to live .. 🤨

In the Netherlands their seniors are called …. evergreens 🌲 … 🤨👍‼️
      I like that better …

• Janie M. says:

nikki, I kept looking out my window (desk w/pc nearby) hoping it wouldn’t build up and yessss, it didn’t. Sigh of relief. But I know it’s coming.

I still have to find a 3M plastic window covering sale (usually at Blain’s Farm & Fleet), my annual project – have 13 regular windows and 2 wide kitchen windows to cover. PIA.

I’ve spent the majority of my life in states with snowy winters. I’m burnt out. Instead of being an evergreen, I want to be a transplant. 😉

• nikkichico7 says:

Who-hoo .. me too … like Florida … 😃❤️
          These Michigan winters are getting hard to take .. the cold hurts .. ☹️ .. plus icy weather is treacherous

• Janie M. says:

My son loves Florida. Stayed there w/a relative for a number of months when after graduating from high school. I have thought about returning to NM. Although, some of said it’s been invaded by illegals.

• nikkichico7 says:

My MIL stayed in Gulf Shores Alabama with her sister and niece from January till March. I believe it was good for her as she was 98 years old when she passed away. They would lease a condo and split it three ways .. 😉

• Janie M. says:

I’ll bet staying in AL was great for warming her bones and her disposition which, in turn, would have been advantageous for her health in general. And being in the company of close family members surely was beneficial. That she lived for 98 years is amazing.

• Janie M. says:

Geez, should have proofread my comment-.”… number of months when…” And – ” some have (of) said…” 😒

8. Herbert Kroll says:

Princeton University professor Martin Gilens published a landmark study ‘Affluence and Influence’.
    With sharp analysis and an impressive range of data, Martin Gilens looks at thousands of proposed policy changes, and the degree of support for each among poor, middle-class, and affluent Americans. His findings are staggering: when preferences of low- or middle-income Americans diverge from those of the affluent, there is virtually no relationship between policy outcomes and the desires of less advantaged groups.

It better be used agains the Democrats, focusing on the Obama years, before they use the study’s findings against the President.

• Janie M. says:

Herbert, Professor Gilens is expounding on what we, the “average” citizen, have believed to be true for decades, regardless of the party affiliation of the politicians who are handsomely compensated by their donors. It’s “us” vs. “them” and it gave rise to the candidacy of President Trump. Inept narcissist ozero was the willing stooge for the demorats and in 8 years brought this country to its knees.

9. Janie M. says:

Looks like the man met an unexpected visitor – love the look on his face. 😄

10. Lucille says:

In case you didn’t see this the other day…doubtless they didn’t get them all….

100 ISIS Terrorists Caught in Guatemala as Central American Caravan Heads to U.S.
    October 18, 2018

11. Bendix says:

Hidden costs to Americans of globalism:

“The spotted laternfly is native to China, India and Vietnam, where natural predators keep it under control, but in recent years it has been found in the United States, including in eastern Pennsylvania and southwestern New Jersey.”

“Emerald ash borer probably arrived in the United States on solid wood packing material carried in cargo ships or airplanes originating in its native Asia. As of October 2018, it is now found in 35 states, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Manitoba.”

This is by no means a brand new problem. The Hemlock Woolly Adelgid for instance, which is destroying our hemlocks, showed up from Japan around 1951. It’s just that this kind of thing is rapidly increasing, and the people making the money from the trade are not bearing the costs of associated problems, we are.

12. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

13. auscitizenmom says:

Prayer for Justice Kavanaugh:

“After watching her husband rip into pro-death senators who used Dr. Christine Blasey Ford in attempts to derail the appointment of her husband to the U.S. Supreme Court, Ashley is asking all people of faith to unite in praying Psalm 40, which reads:”

“BE PLEASED, O LORD, TO DELIVER ME, LOOK DOWN, O LORD TO HELP ME. LET THEM BE CONFOUNDED AND ASHAMED TOGETHER, THAT SEEK AFTER MY SOUL TO TAKE IT AWAY. LET THEM BE TURNED BACKWARD AND BE ASHAMED THAT DESIRE EVILS TO ME.”

In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen

14. Prettyplease says:

Happy Caturday, while it’s still Caturday! Best day of the week, next to Sunday!

15. nwtex says: