As expected Hurricane Michael continues to strengthen while traveling through the Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to make landfall as a major hurricane mid-day tomorrow.  Everyone in the impact zone should rush final preparations to completion and heed the advice and warnings from local officials.

[Hurricane Center] At 1000 AM CDT (1500 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Michael was located near latitude 25.0 North, longitude 86.2 West. Michael is moving toward the north near 12 mph (19 km/h). A northward motion is expected through tonight, followed by a northeastward motion on Wednesday and Thursday. On the forecast track, the center of Michael will move across the eastern Gulf of Mexico through tonight.

The center of Michael is then expected to move inland over the Florida Panhandle or Florida Big Bend area on Wednesday, and then move northeastward across the southeastern United States Wednesday night and Thursday, and move off the Mid-Atlantic coast away from the United States by Friday.

Data from NOAA and Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 110 mph (175 km/h) with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is expected, and Michael is forecast to be a major hurricane at landfall in Florida. Weakening is expected after landfall as Michael moves through the southeastern United States.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 185 miles (295 km). NOAA buoy 42003 recently reported 1-minute mean winds of 45 mph (72 km/h) and a wind gust of 56 mph (91 km/h). The latest minimum central pressure based on data from the aircraft is 965 mb (28.50 inches). (read more)

This entry was posted in Hurricane Michael, Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Hurricane Michael Strengthens – Major Hurricane Landfall Forecast Mid-Day Tomorrow….

1. sundance says:

• fleporeblog says:

In many ways this hurricane seems to have surprised a lot of people. Unlike Hurricane Florence which was being talked about for over a week. I am grateful that SD has been on top of it. I hope the folks that are going to be impacted the most take the warnings and evacuation notices seriously. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

• Ray Runge says:

Storms have a history of crossing or noodling around the Mayan Peninsula, regaining strength and then wrecking havoc in the Gulf of Mexico.

• truthseeker39525 says:

I recall 2005’s Katrina.
          For several days the news and weather people were telling us “a Cat 2 storm heading to make landfall east of Pensacola.”
          Until Friday afternoon, when it changed to “Storm strengthening and heading farther west than predicted.”
          It strengthened to a Cat 5 as it headed west, then turned and the eye came ashore Monday morning first over the Mississippi River delta, then at the Mississippi-Louisiana line.
          The eastern eyewall came ashore at Bay Saint Louis (the town) and Waveland, MS, then crossed the small Bay Saint Louis (the body of water) then clobbered my neighborhood.
          26-ft storm surge, and winds reported from 110 to 145 MPH.
          Tore Us UP!
          250 houses…. GONE
          I have perhaps the southern-most house in my neighborhood that was still standing, and we had 14-ft of water in the yard. My house, raised 10-ft above the ground, had about 4-ft of water in it.
          Did you know that a baby grand piano will FLOAT?
          Ours did, at least enough that it was washed out of the house and ended up upside-down in the back yard!

2. Pam says:

I just call the tail end of Gov. Rick Scott’s presser. Here it is for those that missed it.

3. Pam says:

• Jason Ross says:

…looks like Michael is going to take a parting shot at the Outer Banks as a moderate tropical storm. Although not sure how severe the surge will be on the south-west quadrant of the storm

4. Pam says:

Water vapor imagery:

5. L. Gee says:

Grrrrr! This storm has been one sneaky devil!!!! I pray everyone in Michael’s path is prepared . . . or leaving ASAP!!!

6. Red Tsunami! says:

Damn if only there could be a direct hit on DC while PDJT was at Mar-a-Lago golfing.

7. Texian says:

Michael.. The Gulf of Mexico Strongboy..

He’s gonna kick some ass.. One for the history books..

Batten down the hatches, really.. Take this one for real Emerald Coast..

This one’s not gonna take its time and slap you around like girly Florence.. Michael’s gonna punch you hard right in the nose..

8. Everywhereguy says:

This blows.

9. Minnie says:

Holy Spirit, fill us to the depths with a heavenly calm.

Flood our souls with Your presence.

Let us rest in knowing that You, God, are here and in control.

No danger can touch us.

There is nowhere we can go that You are not there already.

Teach us how to trust in You completely.

Father, keep us daily in Your perfect peace.

In the name of Jesus Christ, we pray.

Amen 🙏🏼

10. Minnie says:

Once again we watch from thousands miles away as Mother Nature unleashes her fury.

All I can often are prayers and encouragement.

We are all Americans and we all bleed red, white and blue.

Praying unceasingly 🇺🇸

• NC Nana says:

Just watched Gov. Scott’s press conference. One of the last things he said was “remember Hurricane Michael can change directions at any moment.” It made my heart leap.

Our daughter and her family are in Orlando right now on vacation (Disney & Universal). Everything has shown that Michael will go around them. Gov. Scott’s comment was intended as a word of warning on the realities of a storm.

It just reemphasizes the need for Minnie’s call for unceasing prayer. The potential for devastation is unpredictable. So many families, volunteers and visitors from all over the world who could need shelter and protection. There is so much potential for loss of homes and livelihood.

Follow the warnings of officials and stay safe. With God’s grace their is always tomorrow.

• boogywstew says:

“Eternal Father strong to save Whose arm has bound the restless wave Who bids the mighty ocean deep It’s own appointed limits keep Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee For those in peril on the sea” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF9NOWzbri4

• boogywstew says:

“Victory At Sea” episode 23: “Target Suribachi” Stirring Richard Rogers score showing US Navy ships in peril during Pacific cyclone.

• Peoria Jones says:

How on earth did you find that – only 8 likes?!? Wow. Just watching could make me lose my lunch. God bless our brave fighting forces!

• boogywstew says:

“Victory At Sea” has some spectacular scenes that will never again in history be duplicated in scale… ever. One episode, “Suicide For Glory” deals with the Japanese kamikaze (suicide) attacks. On one single day in April of 1945, the Japanese sent 350 suicide planes out to crash into the US and British fleet off of Okinawa. Each of the planes was carrying bombs or torpedoes. “Men fighting to die against men fighting to live!”

11. andyocoregon says:

This storm is going to do a lot of damage to much of the southeastern U.S.
    And unfortunately, it will be fodder for loony liberal environmental activists who got all charged up at the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco last month. The money trail has become much larger and well defined.

12. Coast says:

Two years ago to this exact day is when my wife, our youngest son, and I returned home from running away from hurricane Matthew. We spent three days and two nights at a hotel in Orlando. It was predicted to be a direct hit, but stayed 20 to 25 miles off shore, and weaken from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3 as it passed by. Our home was fine, but a lot of yard cleanup had to be done. We also had to leave our cat behind, but she has a nice screened pool enclosure and porch that she can come & go via cat door, so we made a shelter (weighted down pet crate) for her and provided a bowl of cat food that would last for about two or three days. I remember vividly as we drove off looking at her standing outside by the front door that she and the house could be gone. When we returned home she came out of the woods after about 20 minutes of calling her…looking as if someone had given her a bath and blow dry. Her food was almost all gone and she was pretty happy to see us. Not an adventure I care to repeat. The following year we were visited by Irma, but we stayed home for that. That hit us at 2 am through 5am….at that was scary enough.

• Peoria Jones says:

Once I had a mandatory evac from an island I lived on, and went to an inland hotel. I brought my 2 kitties with me and sneaked them and their litterbox in. If there had been a problem, I’d have slept in the car with them.

Many places are pet-friendly now. If they’re not, there is usually someone you can pay off to make an exception. Please don’t leave pets behind!

13. SandraOpines says:

We remain in the cone. VERY strange to see our sleepy town of Marianna FL, population 6,000 is all over the weather bulletins. :O Batten down the hatches in NFL (aka Lower Alabama)

• smiley says:

I feel for you, Sandra in Marianna. ❤

this is probably not your first rodeo, right ?

you know what to do….and what to expect.

Minnie posted a beautiful prayer, upthread….for needed comfort and some reassurance.

I truly believe constant prayer in these massive storms will get a person through…

…from personal experience. 🙂

be strong, be safe.

I'm in SWFL, and thinking of all y'all up there in the path of this thing.

• SandraOpines says:

Thank you!

Definitely not my first rodeo 🙂 I am 4th generation Jackson County so been thru this many times…….. the difference with this one is the wind is coming our way too. Locals only recall 75 MPH winds here at most. So Michael is quite different. Usually we have tornadoes and flooding issues.

Hoping and praying that people aren’t complacent since it has been MANY years since we went thru this. Everyone I know is taking it very seriously. I have seen some homes that folks aren’t picking up their yards. Those things become projectiles folks!

Prayers for all in the path. ❤

• Co says:

Shalimar here. We are prepared.

• Alligator Gar says:

You live in my hometown. Left out in ’83, but the folks still have a place there. I’m in Wakulla now…and as prepared as you can get in a mobile home with 10 chickens and 4 horses to look after. Praying without ceasing for all in the path of this ‘cane. Jesus saves!

14. Zippy says:

Michael: Here It Comes
    9 Oct 2018

Intro:

The hype machine is in overdrive — again.

Let’s face it — if you live on the Gulf Coast you need to be prepared all summer and through Halloween for the potential of a nasty storm, and then there’s the odd one that shows up in November.

But the screamfest does not help.

• sobriquet4u says:

We are prepared as well as possible. I’m in the NE corner of the Big Bend and once again not looking forward to another hurricane. I’m pretty good until I read some of the posts here that are doomsday. Prayers to all my fellow Floridians on the coast and everyone in the path of Michael.

15. Anonymous says:

Florida and Georgia are going to get smacked.

16. listingstarboard says:

Praying for Everyone in the path of this monster. I love Apalachicola, Port St. Joe, Cape San Blas and Destin–great places.

17. smiley says:

if you’re starting to feel panicky…or anxious…and who wouldn’t ! …making LISTS and CHECKLISTS over & over seems to help the frantic mind FOCUS on something constructive as the awful tensions mount…

so…here’s a POWER OUTAGE CHECKLIST…nothing you haven’t seen before…but it might prove useful as the hours drag by…

18. smiley says:

😀

19. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Think You’re Prepared For The Next Crisis? Think Again.

Even the best-laid preparations have failure point

Good article with some recent examples from real life (Lessons From Hurricane Florence)

“….This wisdom very much applies to anyone seeking safety from disaster. Whether preparing for a natural calamity, a financial market crash, an unexpected job loss, or the “long emergency” of resource depletion — you need to take prudent planful steps now, in advance of crisis; BUT you also need to be mentally prepared for some elements of your preparation to unexpectedly fail when you need them most…”

20. duchess01 says:

21. smiley says:

not good…

gusts are now at 130 mph.

• smiley says:

this nasty thing is reminding me of Wilma (2005)…Cat 4, gusts Cat 5.

started from same Yucatan location, same approx time of year, across GOM, slammed into Marco & Naples…before slamming into Ft Lauderdale which was totally unprepared for it.

a LOT of people were unprepared for it….many people scoffed at it…totally underestimated it.

I did not evacuate….but house stayed together somehow.

I will never forget the sound of it.

I had my Dad’s WW2 Navy pilot helmet on my head the whole time….like a hard hat.

22. Pam says:

23. Pam says:

As of 5pm ET. we (SE NC), are now under a tropical storm watch:
    A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for…
    * Chassahowitzka to Anna Maria Island Florida, including Tampa Bay
    * Mississippi/Alabama border to the Mouth of the Pearl River
    * South Santee River South Carolina to Duck North Carolina
    * Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds

The watch extends to the NC/VA border.

• Mncpo(ret) says:

The LAST thing South Santee River and Pamlico need is more rain. They are still flooded from the last hurricane. South Santee finally crested like a week ago!! They are under water seriously!

• Dixie says:

Little PeeDee and Lumber rivers just crested too, right? This is really awful. Worse for the Fla. panhandle but an unhappy scenario for everybody. And I’ve been called back to work at the insurance company…..they must be preparing for more damage claims.

Whether to evacuate or not is the hardest decision there is. My heart goes out to all of you who wrestled with that decision. I didn’t go anywhere for Florence and I won’t be leaving for the likes of Michael. Hang tight folks. At least this one moves fast.

Prayers for everyone in the path of this monster #2. Be safe.

24. LBB says:

I was checking my own weather & noticed upgraded to Cat 3.

Prayers always for those who will be impacted to be shielded and aware.

25. Pam says:

26. Pam says:

27. Mncpo(ret) says:

We are still not “normal” from the last one (am in SC). Flower pots, hammocks, deck chairs still stowed, etc.Took us a week to “demobilize” the prep from the last one! Will not be taping all of the glass doors again (10 across the back of the house, lake side). With my luck, we’ll get creamed, LOL. Praying for all in the initial blast zone.

• Dixie says:

Prayers for you not getting creamed, Mncpo.

Prayers for everybody. As 7Delta has indicated, calling on the warrior angels for protection. Send Michael LIGHT and LOVE to break him up.

28. Pam says:

29. Pam says:

Of course I’m in SE NC. Today went to get gas to prepare in case power goes out once Michael comes inland. There were several people in line waiting to gas. However, it wasn’t wrapped around the station. Did see a fuel tanker there. I did see some covers on the diesel pumps.

30. Pam says:

31. smiley says:

meanwhile….

new disturbance in west Caribbean…20% development next 5 days.

smh

enough is enough

32. Pam says:

33. Pam says:

34. yonason says:

I drove through a very ominous rain band on the way to Orlando this afternoon. It lasted about 45 minutes. It was over by the time I got there, and has been clear since. But there was a brief period of heavy almost horizontal rain splashing not down but across my windshield. I’ve never seen that before. And that was just one band distant from the main storm. I’m glad I don’t live in the Panhandle.