During a private ceremony following the Senate confirmation vote, Judge Brett Kavanaugh took the constitutional oath of office with Chief Justice John Roberts presiding.  The judicial oath ceremony was conducted by retired Justice Kennedy.

WASHINGTON DC – Judge Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in as the 114th Supreme Court justice late Saturday, just hours after the Senate voted to confirm him to the nation’s highest court after a rancorous confirmation battle.

Kavanaugh was sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts in a private ceremony, accompanied by his wife and children. It means that now-Justice Kavanaugh will begin hearing cases before the court on Tuesday.

[…]  Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., was the sole Democrat to vote “yes.” Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, was a “no,” but voted “present” as a courtesy to Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont., who was attending his daughter’s wedding in Montana.  (read more)

(Judicial Oath delivered by retired Justice Kennedy – for whom Kavanaugh clerked)

This entry was posted in Legislation, President Trump, Supreme Court, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

321 Responses to It’s Official – Supreme Court Justice Brett M Kavanaugh Sworn In During Private Ceremony…

1. Retired USMC says:

Now we CRUSH them in 4 weeks. Give no quarter…CRUSH THEM!

• fleporeblog says:

The Republican Party is fighting back like I have never seen before! Our VP decided to rain on their parade today by waving at the lunatics.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“waving at the lunatics”

My standard response (which I have only had to use once so far) when encountering negativity while wearing a TRUMP 2016 MAGA shirt is to smile and respond by saying, “Have a nice day”.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

P r o v e r b s 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

• TDU_Weight says:

LINDSEY DANGERFIELD

Nowadays you really gotta watch it.
        The left has redefined everything.
        The OK sign means white power.
        You gotta clap using jazz hands.
        I was standing on a corner in D.C.
        Waved my hand to call a cab.
        The guy next to me smiled and grabbed my ass.
        I don’t get no respect.

(RIP Rodney Dangerfield)

• sunnydaze says:

Think Pence is at the same place I’m at now with the lunatic Democrats.

Last week an Unhinged One that I was driving with went off on some nonsense about Trump and I just laughed- and I meant it , too.

Week before, I smiled broadly at someone at someone I was sitting with when they said “I HATE Trump!!!”.

When you KNOW you are winning, it’s pretty easy to just be happy!

• ZurichMike says:

Hi, fleporeblog! (waving from Switzerland). Hope you are doing well. Very happy that the GOP has found its spine.

2. CopperTop says:

In the immortal words of Debbie Reynolds, screen mom to Debra Messing, on Will & Grace.
    “Told ya so, told ya so, ToldyaToldya- TOLD YA SO!

Ironic huh Deb M?

3. feralcatsblog says:

So Kavanaugh was sworn in and the democrats, denied their lynching, just swore and swore and swore.

4. Will says:

I’ll say it again, what a wonderful day!

• Pokey says:

It is far from over. These Demcommies will never go away. Politics is their religion and they will continue to smear any Constitutionalist SCOTUS nominees because the SCOTUS has been their trump card, if you will, for a long time. They don’t win much in the Legislative branch but they are used to always getting their agenda passed through the SCOTUS. And they will never give up on having that advantage until they have it again. This was a big time political loss but they will pull out the big guns for the Ginsburg seat when it comes up. We can only hold them at bay if we win…..win…..win….win….win…..win and win again at the polls. Get ready to wear a flak jacket and helmet to the voting booth, because they WILL try anything in order to win back their precious SCOTUS. We will discover that we all must make real sacrifices to keep our precious liberty. I am up for this fight. I have had it with these useful idiots.

5. Alison says:

Thank you Dear Lord for hearing our prayers. Please continue to bless and protect Justice Kavanaugh and his family. Amen

6. Gunner says:

As everyone on this site, I’m ecstatic with the news today (even moreso after watching the Kansas rally). At the same time, I’m !@%$#^ pissed at the entire leftist mob after what they’ve put this family through. I look at the picture above, and I see what looks like utter pain on Justice K’s oldest daughter’s face. I just want to wrap her in my arms and tell her how proud we are of her, her sister and their mom and dad, and tell her to stay strong in her faith. And remind her that millions of us are behind this fine family. As far as the mob on the left is concerned, — and that includes Democrat politicians — your time is coming to an end.

• Minnie says:

May I propose a supportive/congratulatory letter writing campaign to Justice Kavanaugh and his family?

I will find the prettiest stationary available and pen a note to the girls and snail mail it to Justice Kavanaugh’s office.

As a young girl, I always loved receiving hand-written letters from a pen pal and an Uncle who lived in California.

Yes, that is what I will do – headed to the card store tomorrow to purchase some lovely stationary and card for Justice and Mrs. Kavanaugh.

Thank you for the inspiration, Gunner.

Peace.

• Minnie says:

Oops – *stationery*

• truthseeker39525 says:

Miss Minnie…
          Nice letter!
          -and-
          I just learned from your ‘correction’ that ‘stationary’ and stationery’ are two different words.
          Kind of like ‘insure’ and ‘ensure’….. and a LOT of people confuse those two!

Anyway, I never noticed the difference before.

Thanks!

…… I did not go to the ‘stationery’ store, but I DID send an email note to Senator Collins that after hearing her speech, “this southern country boy has a new respect for the Lady from Maine.”

I would guess that Senator Collins is probably receiving tons of hate mail.
          She could probably use a nice note also.

• sterling1776 says:

Excellent idea Minnie! I’ve never done this before but I just completed a note to The Honorable Brett M. Kavanaugh that he will hopefully receive at the Supreme Court. Dropping it in the mail tomorrow!

• ZurichMike says:

Yes, I noticed that, too. Poor thing — imagine having to go to school and have kids mock your dad.

• HeyJude says:

I agree I thought the same on how sad she looks. Do you know if the swearing in process is always private or did they have to do it in private? That would also be sad if he didn’t have the pomp and circumstance he should of had. Just curious. but yes the daughters do looks sad and pained. Terrible.

• Sunshine says:

Yes, the pain in her face. What these wonderful girls had to go through is unforgettable and unforgivable.

7. Carrie2 says:

Thank you, God, once more for hearing our prayers. He will be an outstanding Justice just as Justice Thomas. WE are blessed and the democrats can continue on their way to Hell, and we keep our Constitutional laws and freedom and rights.

8. Charlotte Powell Brooks says:

I know I shouldn’t be vengeful, but I would love to revisit all the accusers and handlers a year from now.

9. tarstarkas says:

i’m glad it was both a private ceremony and done immediately after confirmation. The threats to Kavanaugh by irresponsible people and to the judicial system necessitated it.

10. Greg says:

We have had two massive deception operations (SpyGate, Scotusgate) carried out by the same small group in an effort to frame totally innocent people. When are the schemers going to be rounded up? No sympathy for Ford. Her scrubbed social media would tell all. Her testimony spoken like a 15 yesr old girl was a giveaway. She told McLean how to pass a polygraph test and I am sure as a psychologist she knows all the tricks to make testimony seem sincere. They tried to run a recovered memory scam based on absolutely nothing. I notice pressure was put on Keyser to recover a memory. Frightenening they got so far with this sham.

11. Grassleygirl/Breitbartista/DannyBoy says:

May the blessings of the Almighty be with you , Justice Kavanaugh, the 114th justice of the Supreme Court.🏤

12. dauntlessguy says:

Congratulations to our new SCJ Kavanaugh! America WINS another battle against the freedom and liberty hating socialists. God Bless the USA!

13. mashall says:

This is one perspective….

Entertaining them costs TIME

We must STOP entertaining them, we have no time to lose;

14. Pam says:

15. What a wonderful world!

16. Required says:

17. Pam says:

• Chickficshun says:

Omg! Cue the media. 24/7 panel discussions on why he’s going to rape them in his chambers. They’ll camp out at their houses to ask them about the beer fueled orgies he has in his chambers.

• andyocoregon says:

So does this reporter think he should have hired four male clerks? Is he a misogynist?

• Sources? Kavanaugh said that himself in his testimony to the Committee. Justice Kavanaugh was highly influenced by his mother: “the real Judge Kavanaugh”. As such, he has no problem working with women and supporting women and has done so all his professional life. This is one of the reasons why the fake charges against him were so aggregious.

• suejeanne1 says:

Exactly! You look at a man who grew up respecting and loving his mother, seeing his father respecting and loving her, too – who respected her hard work and dedication and I will show you a boy who grows into a man who treats women with respect – it is so apparent that he is a good guy, that none of those ridiculous and horrific lies found one scintilla of believe in this household.

• palafox says:

I will assume he knows these women well. Hope they an withstand the democrat spectrum of intimidation/bribery which no doubt is right around the corner.

• shirley49 says:

He had already picked them before this fiasco started.

18. TNGal says:

Justice Kavanaugh looks tired, but our prayers for restoration for him and his family continue. Never forget that this all started with Kamala Harris interrupting Senator Grassley the moment he started the hearing.

19. Bull Durham says:

This is how far gone the Dems are:

20. Troublemaker10 says:

21. rjcylon says:

President Trump will most likely nominate another Supeme Court Justice during his presidency. The left will have a tough time with its smear campaign, as no one will take this metoo crap seriously ever again.

Will the next nominee be accused of being a serial killer? Cannibalism? They have their work cut out for them.

22. New Nonna to Be, Again!!! 🤗 says:

Amen. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

23. sunnydaze says:

Not sure where to put this. It’s appropriate to nearly every thread tonite.

The replies to Chelsea’s tweet are pretty good:

24. andyocoregon says:

LOL! On Judge Jeanine’s show, California Congressman Darrrell Issa said, “I could be glib and say the FBI didn’t do a complete investigation of Judge Kavanaugh because they don’t know at what age he was potty trained.”

25. TwoLaine says:

Love it!

26. bkrg2 says:

Woo hoo!
    So happy for the Kavanaugh family

27. Payday says:

Next up! Fire RR, Sessions, and Wray….

28. kitty says:

I have been reading TCTH for 3 years I truly enjoy everyone’s comments and the wonderful work done by Sundance. I start each day here and end each night here. I just had to join in tonight and say what a great day it has been for America. I thank God everyday for President Trump and can’t imagine where we would be without him. God bless Justice Kavanaugh Thanks to all of you here for your wisdom and insight… and the humor! God bless you all.

29. Christine says:

Listening to and reading about the insanely unhinged screaming from the crazed Leftists upon this announcement raises a question for me about the Roe v. Wade decision:

As I understand it, the decision was bad law (finding a Constitutional right to abortion that doesn’t exist) + based on a lie (the baby was a product of rape, but it actually wasn’t). So, it’s worthy of being overturned.

BUT, even if it is overturned, doesn’t that just mean the decision goes back to the State’s to determine what, if any restrictions are placed on abortion? It’s not like it will suddenly be banned across the country, right?

It’s almost like these squealing feminazis use abortion as a regular birth control feature, rather than the contraceptive pill, condoms or simply keeping their legs closed until they find a good man.

• thedoc00 says:

The original moralization around Roe v Wade revolved around access to abortion by the poor.

Then abortion in cases of rape, incest and threat to health of mother were added to augment the access argument, seemingly strengthening the moral case.

Over the years the following have morphed it further:
      Use in as birth control for unwanted pregnancy
      Source of fetal material for profit
      Selective breeding to eliminate baby not having desired traits
      Use as a bargaining tool I divorce
      Use a means of population and/or gender control
      Abortion as an income generating means by coaxing expectant mothers into an abortion
      Summing all the above, abortion is right and part of a females control over her own body

None of the above has actually been codified by congress or state legislatures, just “accepted as law” because of a single court case and it has been socially accepted for so long. This is essentially an abuse of the term common law or social norm.

There has also been no (gag) definitive scientific evidence stating yes or no to fetus as a living being.

• thedoc00 says:

I admit that I am a pro-life advocate but one has to understand all the arguments to have a meaningful discussion.

• suejeanne1 says:

I think when Pope John Paul II visited the United States in 1998 (I think it was) – he went to St. Louis as one of his stops – as I recall, he correlated the Dred Scott Decision with Roe v. Wade – prayerfully hoping that someday, America would turn away from abortion just as we turned away from slavery and the Dred Scott decision was no longer respected –

“settled law” sounds to me like “settled science” – in fact, the term “settled science” (as in when used to describe the “man-caused climate change” theory) is really an oxymoron, of sorts, isn’t it? I mean, to call something “settled science” is to repudiate all further thinking and exposition of the theory – just ACCEPT and do not delve into anything which repudiates this “settled science”

that is antithetical to the entire history of scientific work, study, discovery, advancement

so, too, when the leftists Neanderthals say that something is “settled law” it isn’t that they are talking about good law, logical building on the Constitution, and from there, precedent upon precedent – as pointed out by others above, Roe v. Wade was based upon incorrect facts –

also, remembering Plessy v. Ferguson, that too was faulty –

when children in the womb are recognized as citizens, too – with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, “settled law” will be quite unsettled!

• truthseeker39525 says:

NOT trying to hijack the thread or start an argument (and I understand that the Doc is just stating the popular ‘reasons’, not his own beliefs) but if one looks at the ‘science’ of the PP/media statement “……and part of a females control over her own body”…..
        If some female wants to cut off her ear, or her nose, or an arm, that IS part of her body…. the DNA matches. Have at it!
        But that ‘clump of cells’ that PP wants to cut out and sell….. does the DNA match the rest of the female’s body?

Just wondering.

• formerdem says:

A very good question not yet answered. When Roe v. Wade is reversed, should abortion legalization go back to the states bc they do criminal and family matters, or should the supremes make it illegal period, on grounds of 14th Amendment? In principle 14th Amendment, but yet I could be happy with it going to the states, because it is in the political process that people argue and learn and find good answers. Look what a mess the supremes made out of busing. It would be same w abortion. Just let the states work it out.

• Darren says:

I seriously doubt that roe v wade will be outright overturned. A case could come up, though, that allows states to establish limits to the roe v wade ruling.

• cthulhu says:

Here’s the dealio — if a set of facts arises that is precisely equivalent to RvW, SCOTUS cannot hear it. It gets bounced back to the Appellate courts with an “I already told you once…..” marking. Similarly, if the Appellate courts get a set of facts precisely equivalent to RvW, they have to bounce it back to District courts with, “what are you, idiots?” — or Appellate courts cease to mean anything.

So, anything that might modify RvW has to come with a new set of facts. If the set of facts are slightly different, there will be a slight difference; if the set of facts are wildly different, the results may be wildly different. Consider, for example, the [fictional] existence of robo-wombs, heavily subsidized by the Catholic Church — that can develop any fetus to term. That could certainly kick the foundations out from under RvW and create something unrecogizable.

OTOH, consider Kermit Gosnell. That could easily lead to tweaks about facility inspections, permissions given, paperwork required, etc.

Any changes regarding RvW are going to be grounded in fact patterns distinguishing a case’s situation from that of RvW.

• Doreen Scott says:

Yes abortion has turned into their preferred birth control method.

• Christine says:

Thank you, my fellow Treepers, for your thought-provoking comments!

Here in Australia, abortion has never been an election issue, or an article of faith for any Party. So, I find the whole US situation both fascinating yet highly distasteful.

Having said that, we don’t have a taxpayer-subsidised Planned Parenthood performing a million abortions a year, including late-term abortions, then selling “fetal parts” for profit either – which is pure evil!

I’m okay with abortions available up to 12 weeks. I have friends who were adopted at birth, and although all raised by good families, grow up with a hole in their lives. So, forcing a woman to go through with an unwanted pregnancy, to give the baby up for adoption, isn’t fair on anyone.

But, my beautiful 15yo 6″3′ nephew was born premature, at only 5 and a half months, 848 grams (30 ounces). So, the thought of women terminating pregnancies of a baby old enough to live outside the womb, makes me sick – particularly as I’ve never been blessed with children.

I hope President Trump stops the astonishing $500 million annual funding given to PP. That’s a disgrace, particularly given a lot of it is laundered back to the Dems.

• ZurichMike says:

You are correct, Christine. Many states have abortion laws in place, others have laws that are triggered (go into effect) if Roe v. Wade is overturned. But it’s more difficult for the abortion industry to go after 50 state governments than 1 federal government.

• Christine says:

Thanks Zurich Mike. Good to chat again! It’s been ages. (I’ve been lurking & learning more than posting, this last year).

I read an amusing/droll comment today:
        I don’t know why they’re so upset. Roe v. Wade is just a clump of words, barely in its 134th trimester.

30. thedoc00 says:

I may be wrong and this normal but, to me, this is vital to preempt any legal action by the democrats before a democrat loving and President Trump hating DC or VA circuit court judge.

31. rashomon says:

One step at a time, yet PDJT seems to side-step the direct affront to combine opportunities so he has (1) placed two more conservative justices on the SCOTUS, (2) highlighted some very bright and competent state leaders up for election during midterms, (3) elevated his key issues of trade, immigration, jobs and (equal but more subtle) peaceful diplomacy into headlines despite of the Never-Trump/LSM strategies to bury his policies. Suddenly, the Trump Protocol is four steps ahead and the DimDems are wondering what hit them! LOL!

32. Arrest Soros says:

This…..is…..so…..satisfying

33. Darren says:

Next time a dem nominates another Sotomayor or Kagan, the reps better vote them down. I will be personally offended if any repub votes to confirm any more liberal jurists.

34. deplorabledaveinsocal says:

Godspeed Justice Kavanaugh. May you serve a long time in good health and be blessed with wisdom, compassion, and fairness by Him while maintaining allegiance to the Constitution of these United States of America.

35. InAz says:

Today I went to a commie lib site. They are maaaaaddddd about Kavanaugh. They are fired up to get a blue wave so that President Trump will be impeached and that Justice Kavanaugh will be investigated and thrown off the court.

They also are pushing that President Trump is an anti Semite because of the Soros comment, and they are pushing that Soros is a Holocaust survivior because they really believe Soros was in a concentration camp.

36. Iggy Scott says:

They were counting on the sudden departure of Scalia giving Hillary a Super Majority on the SCOUTS before the end of her 8 years… —– Now — they are looking at a Super Majority in the other direction (supposedly) if Ginsberg’s seat comes open while Trump is in the White House….

….The SCOTUS is arguably the most important branch of the Federal Gov in this regard — because that is the forum through which Progressivism —- Legislates…

Conservatives + Patriots are far more Constitutionalists and thus far more limited in what they hope to see the SCOTUS do… For Progressives, the SCOTUS is the Technocrat Branch of the Government that can bypass Congress to make new laws.

The depression and hysteria on their side must be — incredible…

37. WSB says:

May God bless you every day, Justice Kavanaugh, and your family.

38. I heard Feinstein and Schumer are on suicide watch.

39. WeThePeople2016 says:

What this family has been through. God has a plan for Justice Kavanaugh, and no matter what evil was thrown at him, His plan was going to come to true. God bless the Kavanaugh family and God Bless America.

40. Kenji says:

Judge Kavanaugh’s CONSTITUTIONAL rulings are predicted to damage the Global Warming Deep state cabal

Seems Judge Kavanaugh didn’t read the part of the Constitution that cedes regulatory authority to the EPA.

41. Cathy M. says:

Kavanaugh calls Senator Chuck Schumer to the bench

42. Timothy says:

The smiles of their children. That is why we fight

43. Plain Jane says:

Every time I see that top pic, I see such love, pride and respect for her husband in her beautiful clear eyes.

44. theduchessofkitty says:

May the rest of his life (and his family’s) be long and blessed.

Lord God, Thy Will Be Done. Amen.

45. Wai cheah says:

An era of Liberal judicial dictatorship is over, a new era has begun https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEpQaFtvx_E

46. Pyrthroes says:

Thanks to John Marshal in his Marbury power-grab (1803), the magical Supreme Court has devolved to a wholly illegitimate Super Legislature, a kritarchy concerned not to interpret statutes to Constitutional order but to enact irresponsible, unaccountable diktats depending upon what one or another reigning satraps has for lunch. Unless and until this grotesque subreption ceases, we have a government of men, not laws, with the perverse consequence that, as essentially arbitrary constructs, even the most well-intentioned rulings lack any moral force.

Over the next generation, we suspect that Consent of the Governed will weigh in on this… that is, the 5 – 10% of concerned citizens who know there are three, actually four (count ’em!) Madisonian branches to our Federal Republic. As recently reported, near seven out of ten Millennials think the Cold War was about “global warming”.

47. Joshua2415 says:

I almost hate to suggest this (almost), but could anyone here at the treehouse that is good with photoshop take the image above of Justice Kavanaugh being sworn in and change his right hand into an “OK” sign? Can you imagine how that would go over on twitter!

48. Anonymous says: