Sunday September 30th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

233 Responses to Sunday September 30th – Open Thread

1. Howie says:

DDD Report…Op Ed…I am working on an op ed to submit to my local newspaper for publication….anypne can do it….Want to make a diff… here is a way….Even the failing NYT might consider….op eds from normals can have an impact… Just an idea I had I am gonna try…An op ed is a step above a letter to the editor. I doubt many even write them. I have written three and every one has been published. Maybe better than an email or call to a congresscritter.

2. Octavia says:

Found this comment on Zero Hedge via badbob67:

2Ti 3:1 ¶ But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.
    2Ti 3:2 For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
    2Ti 3:3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,
    2Ti 3:4 treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 2Ti 3:5 holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

3. Dora says:

4. czarowniczy says:

Every now and then a little prayer gets answered…
    Got a letter. out of the blue, from a local American Legion post telling me that the regional VA director is coming to our neck of the woods to speak to the huddled masses of proles. I’m checking to see if this is expected to be a softball session or if we’ll be allowed to ask pointed questions.
    It’s interesting he’s coming, not only that these SES level folks seldom deign to come out to the sticks where the local VA med clinic looks more like a gypsy fast food trailer but there’s no press coverage to speak of. The VA’s opinion of us way out here is more of ‘you’re lucky to have what we give you’, rather than ‘we’re here as it’s our job to serve you’ – not that they ever seriously say that.
    I’m getting a list of questions together, starting off with: ‘since I’ve worked VA issues since I worked in a Senator’s office as an undergrad and I’m not seeing all that much difference in the VA’s treatment of vets over the last 50 years’ and moving right on to ‘why is there such a glaring lack of accountability on the parts of VA bureaucracy for injury to vets?’.Gonna be interesting to see if the American Legion folks get nervous about my line. They may just put my beer in a ‘go cup’ and wish me adieu.

5. Dora says:

This year’s Red Mass didn’t seem so bright.

===

Amid fight over Kavanaugh, annual Red Mass for Supreme Court skips the politics

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who has touted his Catholic faith throughout his nomination hearings, was not spotted at the annual service.

6. nikkichico7 says:

Trust and Obey

SEPTEMBER 30, 2018

Joshua 6:1-14

One of my favorite hymns is “Trust and Obey” because it sums up God’s purpose for our lives. When we practice these two commands, a beautiful cycle begins. Trusting the Lord makes obedience easier, and obedience produces ever-increasing trust. Can you recall facing a challenge that was difficult or perplexing? If so, you know how important these two commands are.

When the Lord calls you to a task that seems unreasonable, you have two options. You can obey Him even though you don’t understand what will happen, or you can become fearful and attempt to find a way out. Joshua chose the first option. Because he trusted the Lord, he disregarded all his military experience and adopted God’s bizarre battle plan. Over the years, he had learned that the Lord is perfectly trustworthy.

The way we respond to God’s challenging assignments reveals what we believe about Him. We may feel as if we’re right in step with the Lord—until He proposes a change of direction. That’s when our resistance kicks in, along with the realization that we aren’t as close to Him as we thought. At that point, our decision determines whether the Lord will be able to use us as He desires. Joshua decided time and time again that the Lord’s way was better than his own, and he continued to serve the Lord for the remainder of his life.

At times, obedience is a struggle, as the mind considers all the reasons God’s path is illogical. When fear takes over, our reasoning says we should run the other way, and we don’t want to comply. But obedience is always the best choice, because our loving omniscient Father can be trusted.

intouch.org
    Dr. Charles Stanley

• nikkichico7 says:

Heard this song on the radio, good for these troubled times ..

Romans 8:35-37 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
      35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 Just as it is written, “For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
      We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
      37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

Isaiah 49:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
      16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
      Your walls are continually before Me.

John 16:33New King James Version (NKJV)
      33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

1 John 4:4New King James Version (NKJV)
      4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

Joshua 1:9 New King James Version (NKJV)
      9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

God bless you treepers .. hold the line 😉❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• vikingmom says:

I am currently doing a Bible Study going through the book of Joshua and one of the underlying themes has been trying to come to terms with God’s instructions to the Israelites to wipe out every nation that they conquer – every man, woman AND child. That is tough for most of us to understand, myself included.

But this week, watching these hearings and sensing the pure hatred and evil in that room directed at Judge Kavanaugh, his family, and his values, I felt as if God said to me, “THIS is what I see all the time in the heart of much of mankind and THAT is why I told my people to destroy them before they could gain control and destroy you! I can see the hearts that are so hardened they will never turn from their wicked ways, no matter how many chances they are given. Trust me to know each person and to rescue those who can yet be saved, even if you don’t understand My methods in doing so…”

I am tired and I am struggling with discouragement but I am clinging to the sure hope that God IS in control and evil will NOT get the final victory!

• nikkichico7 says:

I feel the same way vikingmom seeing these wretched evil dark heart minions of satan make me sick and I start to hyperventilate but the is victory is in Jesus, he paid it all on the cross .. We must stay strong in spite of how much it hurts 😢❤️🎚 .. we are never alone .. ❤️

• piper567 says:

nikki, I have a little note up a cupboard door in my kitchen which says:
      Obey God, and leave the consequences to Him.
      Since we know he does all for our benefit/growth, this attitude has been a tremendous help to me.

7. Sepp says:

This 30th day of September (which used to be the 7th month of the year) is the 17th of September on the traditional Orthodox Church Calendar.

Among the Saints who are honored today are the Holy Martyrs Faith, Hope, and Charity and their mother Sophia.

The account of their Lives is given at the link below.

Also, on this day, the Hieromartyr Lambert of Maastricht is commemorated.

He endured martyrdom in the year 704 for his Savior, Jesus Christ, after a lifetime of teaching, preaching, and instructing the Faithful in the Low Lands, particularly in the region of the Ardennes Forest

Saint Lambert has been one of the most beloved local Saints in Belgium, the Netherlands, and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

8. Lucille says:

This is part of an email received from Joe Dan…

The Kavanaugh Witch Trials
    Sunday, Sept 30
    Hey guys,
    I was compelled to share this. Pastor Steve addresses the Kavanaugh Hearings from a biblical perspective.
    I’m telling you—you don’t want to miss this. Pastor Steve Berger in on fire… The best Pastor/Warrior for Jesus I’ve ever known [Took 30 years to find him] And by default, a Warrior for Jesus is a Patriot.
    And he doesn’t hide from the pure evil on display at the Kavenaugh Hearings.
    Thank you for your awesome, awesome support.
    I love you guys. God bless y’all!
    Joe Dan Gorman
    OH, the NEW CONTACT^ EMAIL: IntellectualFroglegs@gmail.com
    Kavanaugh // Biblical Qualifications for Bringing Accusations (Message)

9. calbear84 says:

Wow it’s getting impossible to keep up with the threads! Not sure if anyone noticed that in CBF’s testimony she referred to Kav’s school as “an elitist all-boys school in Bethesda, Maryland.”
    Elitist? Excuse me, DOCTOR Ford, but don’t you mean “elite?” What a fraud this broad is!

10. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Gosh, I missed National Coffee Day yesterday. I must have been sleeping.

Exactly.

11. Minnie says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Our Heavenly Father, Your children come to you tonight to ask for healing and peace throughout our country so that we may return to being One Nation Under God.

Guide us to be leaders in Your Kingdom, spreading Your Love and Salvation to all.

Forgive us our sins and deliver us from evil.

Lord, we ask for a blanket of protection over all our troops and law enforcement who serve to defend and protect us.

Bless our representatives with the strength and wisdom they need to achieve the path You have chosen for us.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.

Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.

Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray, Amen.

12. andyocoregon says:

Protesters have been busy chanting and wailing in downtown Portland, Oregon again all day today after a black man who shot at two unarmed people at 3:10am this morning was himself shot and killed by police. Local B.L.M. activists are blocking roads and causing problems while asking why they didn’t just taser or pepper spray the man. Hello! He had a gun and was shooting it! WTH is wrong with these people?

13. JX says:

An emerging coalition of New York municipalities is preparing to challenge proposed Internal Revenue Service regulations that clouded the ability of cities and towns to set up funds that allow residents to pay their local taxes as charitable contributions.

State lawmakers approved a bill in March that allowed the creation of the charitable funds. Under New York’s law—which is similar to legislation adopted in New Jersey and Connecticut—localities can issue a taxpayer a credit against their property taxes for up to 95% of the amount donated to a designated charitable fund. New York may issue credits against state income tax for up to 85% of a donation.

Fourteen New York municipalities have set up the charitable funds, according to a database of local laws and interviews with municipal officials.

14. Troublemaker10 says:

15. dogsmaw says:

Investigation
    fishing expedition

An investigation conducted without definite purpose, plan, or regard to standards of propriety, in hopes of acquiring useful (and usually incriminating) evidence or information; apparently aimless interrogation designed to lead someone into incriminating himself. This expression refers to the literal fishing expedition in which, armed with basic equipment, one goes after his prey without knowing exactly what, if anything, he will catch. The more skillful and experienced the fisherman, though, the better are his chances of successfully catching his quarry.
    I am not going to permit counsel to go on a fishing expedition. (Erie Stanley Gardner, The Case of the Bigamous Spouse, 1961)

16. dogsmaw says:

17. What do people do here for daily prayer? Does anyone here use a prayer book for daily devotion? Catechism book?

18. dogsmaw says: