Saturday September 29th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

274 Responses to Saturday September 29th – Open Thread

1. C2 says:

Lurking from my Illinois squirrel’s nest, and following the nonsense all week, I was deeply touched at the story related, by Judge Kavanagh…where he described his daughter as having said, ‘we should pray for the woman’. Out of the mouths of babes…these children should not have to have this current ugliness in their lives.

I hope the good judge is also able to remember the 23rd Psalm…as he is walking through the valley and shadow of death…what he and his family have gone through is pathetic, and should not be happening. What has become of the citizenry, of this great country? I hope the strength gained from “His rod and staff”, stay with him.

Treepers, we, he, they, are facing evil.

The party that promotes indiscriminate sex, abortion and all their other feel good attributes…is suddenly and again, concerned about women being abused??? Or only for certain “victims”?

• Celebrating! says:

After the emotional rollercoaster of all the proceedings, I have been reminding myself over and over, “Christ lives and reigns.” Praying for Judge Kavanaugh to be able to turn all the anguish of the week over to God and to find comfort through the storm. Deuteronomy 33:27 “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”

2. smiley says:

as of 2 am….

works for me.

just hope it stays that way.

🙂

3. nwtex says:

• bessie2003 says:

The National Weather Service has already begun putting out flash flood warnings for southern Nevada to occur between Monday and Wednesday this coming week. Am assuming for Arizona too.

4. nwtex says:

Odd not to see citizen817 posting the pretty pictures.

5. nwtex says:

6. Dora says:

• hyacinthclare says:

On it!!

• Psalm 40 King James Version (KJV)
      40 I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest.

10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.

12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.

13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.

14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.

15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.

16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified.

17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

• bessie2003 says:

Consider it done!

7. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day
    ✟
    “…If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.”
    Matthew 17:20 (KJV)

8. F.D.R. in Hell says:

9. DH says:

IMO – this is why seeking justice from these dems should not wait. The majority of the people speak loud and clear; Its not in our best interest to wait longer for the next corrupt IG report, accuse the next SCOTUS nominee, conduct violent rallys in the name of peaceful protests, raise taxes, deplete our military; I am done with all this crap. Charge these people who hate our country for God’s sake. Seeking justice is the only remedy. Get on with it.

10. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

11. JRD says:

Blue State NJ Pension Fund Could Dump $44 Million Nike Stake Over Kaepernick Ads
    The board supervising New Jersey’s $78 billion public worker pension fund is considering dumping its roughly $44 million stake at the behest of representatives of the state’s retired police and firefighters, who have complained that the company’s Colin Kaepernick ad campaign is deeply offensive.

Marty Barrett, a representative of retired police officers and firefighters, asked the State Investment Council to consider divesting from its Nike holdings because of the ad – a request that was readily honored, with the board voting unanimously to review its holdings.

Four other public pension funds that manage police pensions in Colorado, Wisconsin, Ohio and Oregon also own Nike stock.

Once the first domino falls, others could soon follow.

12. duchess01 says:

Exodus 20:16
    “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.”

King James Version (KJV)

13. skeinster says:

A blessed Feast of St. Michael to everyone!
    Here are both the prayers- I include the long because sometimes, like now,
    we need a good description of what we’re up against, and who protects us.

Ecce Crucem Domini!
    Fugite partes adversae!
    Vicit Leo de tribu Iuda,
    Radix David! Alleluia!

Behold the Cross of Christ-
    Flee, hostile powers!
    The Lion of the tribe of Judah,
    The root of David, has conquered!
    Alleluia!

14. nwtex says:

Now, that’s a nice size man.
    His shoulders and shape of head AND the hair always grab my attention.
    I am SO appreciative of what he is doing for our Country but I sure do wish he could be back on the construction sites checking out the plans,renderings and such in his office especially when I see photos of him sitting with his arms crossed.
    That’s because I’ve worked with land developers/builders and seems like they all cross their arms when sitting at a desk or walking the site .Not just the developers themselves but, well, all the guys. Oh, well.

15. pam2246 says:

From my Facebook page…

Mrs Kavanaugh has requested believers pray this over her family…

Psalm 40:1-17

1 I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
    2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
    he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
    3 He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
    Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him.

4 Blessed is the one
    who trusts in the Lord,
    who does not look to the proud,
    to those who turn aside to false gods.
    5 Many, Lord my God,
    are the wonders you have done,
    the things you planned for us.
    None can compare with you;
    were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
    they would be too many to declare.

6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—
    but my ears you have opened—
    burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
    7 Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
    it is written about me in the scroll.
    8 I desire to do your will, my God;
    your law is within my heart.”

9 I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
    I do not seal my lips, Lord,
    as you know.
    10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
    I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
    I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
    from the great assembly.

11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord;
    may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
    12 For troubles without number surround me;
    my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
    They are more than the hairs of my head,
    and my heart fails within me.
    13 Be pleased to save me, Lord;
    come quickly, Lord, to help me.

14 May all who want to take my life
    be put to shame and confusion;
    may all who desire my ruin
    be turned back in disgrace.
    15 May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
    be appalled at their own shame.
    16 But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
    may those who long for your saving help always say,
    “The Lord is great!”

17 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    may the Lord think of me.
    You are my help and my deliverer;
    you are my God, do not delay.”

• Dora says:

They are such a beautiful family and they’re being treated so badly.

I could cry.

• smiley says:

I feel just awful for him and his entire family incl his mother & father…

..but I feel particularly enraged and sad for the inexcusable pain & confusion that his 2 innocent daughters must be feeling thru all this.

how does a loving parent…or grandparent…even begin to try to explain any of this depraved ugliness and slander to such young and innocent girls ?

…depraved and ugly on many levels, too…

things that young girls that age should not be faced with or have to cope with.

they both look so sweet and so happy…and so well-balanced…in the photo.

I just pray they don’t lose that as a result of this squalid mess created entirely out of thin air by the rabid Left.

• piper567 says:

smiley, a good reminder to pray for these girls.
        thanks.

• smiley says:

I so hope & pray that he and his family emerge from this crucible the true VICTORS that they deserve to be…

…and that he is confirmed for SCOTUS so he can…and no doubt will …conduct himself in such a way that his fairness and integrity as a QUALITY PERSON outshines this squalor and serves to show the guttersnipe malcontents on the Left exactly what Honorable means.

whether they like it or not.

• Teagan says:

What USA Today published about Kavabuagh is gutter journalism and I truly hope the backlash is a tsunami! This HAS to stop! We are no better than a Third Workd country if we continue down this road.
        (Article suggests Judge K not be allowed to coach girls basketball because somehow Ford’s accusation makes him a sexual deviant.)

• Minnie says:

In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen 🙏🏼

Thank you, Pam.

16. Sepp says:

Blessing Psalter – The Psalter as a Book of Needs

The link below is to a wonderful document that has been translated into English from Greek. It is in simple, direct, quaint English because the original was a listing that Saint Arsenios of Cappadocia (Asia Minor) made for personal use.

Over the generations and centuries of grace-filled life within the Church, the practice of memorizing the Psalter, as well as the New Testament, has been generally a regular aspect of life for Orthodox monastics and parish priests.

The praying of the Psalms within the services of the Church is the foundation for the praying of the Psalms, particularly in village life, in another way specific to situations.

17. Dora says:

I’ve already had my morning coffee, but I guess I can have an extra cup today.

Happy National Coffee Day! 🙂

18. Lucille says:

The Psalms are easy to relate to, for all of us need deliverance from the evils of this world. This could be Judge Kavanaugh’s prayer…

19. Jeff says:

An overlooked, wonderful number from the nearly-forgotten 1980 movie “Xanadu.” An elderly Gene Kelly reminisces about an old flame. And then…

20. nikkichico7 says:

DH’s post above gave me a crazy idea …. it probably wouldn’t work ..

.. .. what if all the patriot deplorable citizens in this county could synchronize through the time zones an exact moment in time coordinated with satellite 📡 to step outside and shout at the top of their lungs ..

God the United States of America, .. Bless the loyal citizens of the United States of America and their families, and God bless President Donald J. Trump … and the evil traitors of this county may God judged them accordingly …

It’s just so frustrating to see these miserable scum and crones going at it full tilt all the time, it wearies the soul …. 😞😔😢

Revelation 6:10 New King James Version
    10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”

21. quintrillion says:

I have been unable to comment or like at CTH using the firefox browser. My icon does not appear in the upper right as it used to. WordPress allows me to log in but then *Like does not work and icon does not appear.

However if I used the edge browser and login it works just fine like it use to work using firefox browser.

I’ve gone to WordPress.com and Gravatar.com to try to figure out what is going on because I do not want to used edge browser and highly prefer firefox browser. I am trying again by logging in to wordpress and then opening tab to CTH. Still can’t figure out why this has happened.

• quintrillion says:

So, this just posted using firefox browser, but icon does not appear in upper corner am I unable to like any other posts. Why?? And why will it work with the edge browser which I’ve never used before this because I was curious to see if another browser would work..and edge did work when I tried it a few days ago.

• blondegator says:

Download Firefox, the newest version. Then turn off your computer and restart. Then download your usual FF add-ons. I usually run Ghostery and AdBlock Plus in FF.

For some reason, FF sometimes just goes wonky, and a total new download seems to fix it right up. Hope that helps. I am not in love with FF, but I do like running AdBlock Plus and Ghostery, and they work well (try Ghostery if you haven’t, you can turn off scripts either universally or by site, which is nice).

22. Janie M. says:

Big Cat Caturday. Stupid is as stupid does (face palm).

23. dbethd says:

I don’t understand why POTUS consented to an FBI investigation? All I can think is maybe he wants people to see how truly corrupt the system is? But why drag a good man through this? It just breaks my heart for this family.

24. Mandy says:

I somehow missed this story, in case others likewise missed it:

… “charges $8,000 to fill your veins with the blood of young people plans to launch its first clinic in New York City at the end of this year….

Founded by Stanford graduate Jesse Karmazin,”

OMG.

• Janie M. says:

Mandy, 2016 article discussing 50% transfusion of blood from younger mice to older mice and vice versa. Study by UC Berkeley. Does this perhaps mean “full” blood transfusion is the remedy? Frightening implications.

Young blood does not reverse aging in old mice

“Our study suggests that young blood by itself will not work as effective medicine,” said Irina Conboy, associate professor in the Department of Bioengineering at UC Berkeley. “It’s more accurate to say that there are inhibitors in old blood that we need to target to reverse aging.”

• Jeff says:

Once again, science fiction predicts the future. In 1967, Larry Niven wrote a short story called “The Jigsaw Man.” See the Wikipedia entry here:
        Note especially the critical review in the second paragraph by Algis Budrys.

• Janie M. says:

Jeff, for whatever reason I didn’t discover the greatness of Sci-Fi books until 1979 with the release of Douglas Adams’ “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I was hooked. I read the Wikipedia link you provided for “The Jigsaw Man.” I consider Budrys a bit short-sighted in his criticism, most especially since he was a Sci-Fi author, perhaps it was a matter of professional envy.
          I also ended up visiting ebay to price Harlan Ellison’s compilation book, “Dangerous Visions.”

25. Bendix says:

Betsy DeVos needs to get going and do something about this:
    If she is not up to the job, or doesn’t understand that it is important, she should be fired and replaced with someone who does understand.
    Unfortunately I think Secretary DeVos is one of those impressed by the latest gimmicks in education, and a believer that the more technology you can cram into a classroom, the better.

26. Jeff says:

Happy Caturday!
    Most of us with cats know about cat trees. and some of us even have one (or two) (I do).
    Well, how’s this for a “cat tree” –

27. dogsmaw says:

2018 ARKANSAS CORNBREAD FESTIVAL
    SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2018
    11:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
    South Main Street (SoMa), Little Rock, Arkansas

Disclaimer: Even though I cooked cornbread & black eyed peas today, I am not a promoter for this festival 😛

28. Minnie says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Our Heavenly Father, Your children come to you tonight to ask for healing and peace throughout our country so that we may return to being One Nation Under God.

Guide us to be leaders in Your Kingdom, spreading Your Love and Salvation to all.

Forgive us our sins and deliver us from evil.

Lord, we ask for a blanket of protection over all our troops and law enforcement who serve to defend and protect us.

Bless our representatives with the strength and wisdom they need to achieve the path You have chosen for us.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.

Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.

Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray, Amen.