We Remember….

We Honor…

We Will Never Forget

This entry was posted in Heros, Islam, Jihad, Terrorist Attacks. Bookmark the permalink.

267 Responses to We Remember….

1. Buck says:

The NSA and the road to 9/11: lessons learned and unlearned.

Cato hosted a panel last week of NSA Whistleblowers talking in great detail (long) about that agencies history from the 70’s through the 911 years.
    Featuring Bill Binney, Thomas Drake, Ed Loomis along with Diane Roark who managed the House Permanent Select Committee on Intel.
    It’s long but lots of detailed info on what was going on in the lead up and aftermath of 9/11.
    The massive bureaucracy and “turf wars” that continues to stifle ability to safeguard our nation.

I made a few basic notes so you can skip ahead if you don’t have 2hrs to spend on this:

Start to around 45 mins – background history from Church Committee era in 70’s thru end of Cold War into 90’s.
    49 min – Gen Hayden takes over NSA in 1999 with mandate to reorganize the agency post Cold War.
    1.13 – Hayden’s mentor, James Clapper enters the scene as external “oversight” board member to NSA.
    1.21 – Thin Thread program is canceled which could have prevented 9/11.
    1.27 – Thomas Drake speaks about NSA’s failure to prevent 9/11 and him becoming a whistleblower.
    1.34 – whistleblowers trigger DoD IG investigation and critical report.
    1.42 – interesting Q&A

2. LKA in LA says:

Treepers I wanted to let everyone know “Old World Christmas Ornaments” have several beautiful.Christmas ornaments in remembrance of 9/11. They are glass, appropriate reverence and a way to have the kids in your family, who had not been born, know that we remember. I have one and we always discuss how important it is to remember. Anyway, they are special.

3. pyromancer76 says:

My overall thought, after prayers of reverence and gratitude for the victims, the first responders who lost their lives, and those who came after, is that I think Americans began to wake up to the envy, greed and lust of many different actors on the international stage for American wealth and resources.

Unfortunately we had no leaders who could or would take up the battle that the majority of Americans knew needed to be fought until our magnificent President Trump. Many Americans kept the faith the best they could, as the enemy (enemies, more realistically) weaponized our government against us.

NO MORE. MAGA.

4. boogywstew says:

On 9-11-01 I didn’t have a job for the day and when I got around to finally turning on the TV, I did what I always did, turned on the news. I’m staring at an image of one of the burning Twin Towers and I immediately thought I had tuned in on “Die Hard”. At second glance I recognized it was one of the Twin Towers and the news feed then showed BOTH Twin Towers belching smoke and before any newscasters came back with any commentary, I immediately thought of Osama Bin Laden. I knew who he was before 9-11 and I knew what he was capable of.

• kathyca says:

Like everyone else, I remember exactly where I was when 9/11 happened. Interestingly, though, I also remember exactly where I was when I read a pre-9/11 article about him in the NYT Magazine. I think it was accompanied by a picture of bin Laden. Anyway, that was back when I still bought the Sunday NYT for the crossword puzzle. I was doing the puzzle in a bubble bath with a glass of wine when the article caught my eye and, apparently, made a huge impression on me. Funny how I remember it so clearly – especially since I was in no way involved in politics or educated on jihad, etc. in those days.

It might have been this article, but there were others.

• boogywstew says:

I’m from the NY Metro area and no matter where I moved across the USA, I always made sure I had enough for the Sunday NY Times. Ironically, 9-11’s coverage in the NYT is a large part of why I stopped reading the Times. A great name for POTUS#44 would be “Obama Sin Laden”.

• Jan says:

I am not saying this for humor. When I first heard of Barack Obama in 2008 time-frame, I could not keep his & Bin Laden’s names straight. I thought they were one and the same person for a few days. Turns out, I wasn’t too far off in terms of their goals for this country. To each and every one of us who cares about this country, those who died on 9/11, our families,our serviceman and first responders, I grieve with you today. Then, we have to pick up and carry on tomorrow. We have a country to save. We cannot let their sacrifices be for naught.

• Dr.Jay says:

>> “I immediately thought of Osama Bin Laden. I knew who he was before 9-11 and I knew what he was capable of.”

I couldn’t remember his name then. I had seen a documentary, perhaps weeks before?
        But later that day I did thought, oh crap, is that why they killed Massoud?

We were just watching in horror on a huge screen. Hang inside an office building that could be rented for meetings. We were standing outside in the sun, smoking. You could see the screen through the windows. Then people came outside, went back in, something was up. And we looked at the screen and saw that airplane … then everyone rushed inside.

• talker2u says:

BS. Troll.

5. AmericaFirst says:

Khan’s argument, delivered angrily and in a thick Pakistani accent at the DNC, is that “our” Constitution requires us to continue the nonstop importation of Muslims.

If the U.S. Constitution required us to admit more than 100,000 Muslims a year — as we do — we’d already be living in Pakistan, and Khan wouldn’t have had to move to get that nice feeling of home. So the “argument” part of Khan’s point is gibberish.
    —-
    Yes, a candidate for president of the United States is supposed to be prohibited from discussing a dangerous immigration program because Khan’s son was one of fourteen (14!) Muslim servicemen killed by other Muslims in our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That’s why we’re obligated to import yet more Muslims – including, undoubtedly, some just like the ones who killed his son. Q.E.D.!
    —-
    There were virtually no Muslims in America before Teddy Kennedy’s 1965 immigration act. Today, we admit more immigrants from Muslim countries than from Great Britain.

“I am Iranian by birth and of my Islamic Faith. I am also an American citizen and seek to help change America to be a more Islamic country. My faith guides me and I feel like it is going well in the transition of using freedom of religion in America against itself” – Valerie Jarrett Stanford University 1977. http://overpassesforamerica.com/?p=4661

6. kea says:

Naudet brothers 9/11 film documentary

Powerful!!! They used to show this on TV but then of course they no longer do. Your going to need tissues if you watch it FYI…

9/11 is a 2002 French-American documentary film about the September 11 attacks in New York City, in which two planes crashed into the buildings of the World Trade Center. The film is from the point of view of the New York City Fire Department. The film was directed by Jules and Gedeon Naudet, and FDNY firefighter James Hanlon

• Your Tour Guide says:

Saw it when it first came out. Stayed choked up throughout it.
      Excellently put together, extremely hard to watch. The absolute
      worst section was the recording inside the Twin Towers lobby,
      after the planes had hit, before they came down. The sounds of
      bodies hurtling to their death.

On a related note: on Reddit the Donald today they had a picture
      titled September 10, 2001. Shot across the water, a few clouds
      in the air. Sunlight shining through them on the Twin Towers.

Absolutely lost it. Couldn’t help it. Was sobbing like a baby.

• WSB says:

That is a wonderul documentary.

7. keeler says:

There is always much to say on this day, but it never feels like the right day to say it. As someone who did not lose anyone, speaking out about grief and sadness seems abstract and out of place. As someone who keenly feels the anger, frustration, and underlying fear created by the subsequent political machinations and the lack of security measures taken since, the anniversary whips these emotions up but, again, it feels out of place to vent them on this particular day.

This year, in particular, seems poignant. Young men and women who turn 17 today can now enlist in the military. Those who do so will be fighting a war that began the day they were born. In January the daughter of Todd Beamer, who ended the 20th Century when he said “Let’s Roll,” will also become eligible to join that war. Beamer himself would be planning his 50th birthday this November. Perhaps he’d be looking for a used car for his daughter to drive to college next year.

WTC Building 7, completed in May 1987, has been gone now three years longer than it existed. The day will come- and go- when this is true of WTC 1 and 2, whose absence in the Manhattan skyline once seemed surreal. Since their destruction that has almost completely changed; seven buildings taller than either have since been completed, and another is on the way.

Just outside of Sharpsburg, Maryland is Antietam National Cemetery. Buried there are thousands of Union soldiers, whose families received the awful news in September, October, and November of 1862 that their sons, fathers, brothers, and husbands had died fighting along an obscure river few had ever heard of.

Veterans of other wars are buried there as well, memorials to the men who died and echoes of other families who received the awful news of what happened in far off places even more remote from the reality of 19th century Americans. Among those places there is now at least one “Afghanistan.”

Time moves forward, both cruelly and mercifully, and then comes back upon itself.

8. youme says:

Worse and worse…

9. citizen817 says:

Rudy G on Fox and Friends

• jsteele9 says:

Great to see POTUS tweeted recognition about Guiliani’s strong and impressive leadership on that horrendous day.

“Rudy Giuliani did a GREAT job as Mayor of NYC during the period of September 11th. His leadership, bravery and skill must never be forgotten. Rudy is a TRUE WARRIOR!”

I like all the hosts of F and F but Doocy asking Rudy if he’s worried about the effects of the dust was not exactly his best or wisest sound bite ever IMO.

• Actually, I appreciated the question only because it gave Mayor Guiliani the opportunity to give such an excellent answer.

May more men like the mayor, and our VSG Lion president, and women like our courageous First Lady inspire young patriots to commit to fight in the war that must be waged to take back the administrative side of government. At the local, state and national level. May their tribe increase!

10. tunis says:

Can the FBI and our intelligence agencies with hundreds of billions of dollars in annual budgets prevent another 9/11? Not necessarily just terrorists hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings but another major terrorist attack done in another inventive manner.

Did the FBI and the intelligence agencies learn any lessons from 9/11?

Would a Peter Strzok, John Brennan, James Clapper and bureaucrats like them infesting these agencies be able to prevent another terrorist attack?

Col. Patrick Lang, the previous head of terrorism and human intelligence at the Defense Intelligence Agency had this to say about the failure of intelligence to detect and prevent 9/11.

“…the cause of the intelligence and IC failure was not a failure to coordinate among the agencies. With the exception of the FBI who were never prior to 9/11 willing to coordinate much of anything, the rest of the IC was quite adequately tied together agency to agency electronically to share information among the analysts. The problem was that the SESs and generals who ran the IC knew that neither the Obama nor the Bush Administrations wanted to hear anything that would disturb their various agendas and did not want to hear anything like this and so the bosses in the IC and FBI simply suppressed the warnings in the interest of career advancement. In addition to that, inventive, aggressive clandestine HUMINT against al-qa’ida were disapproved by the same crowd. They were afraid of disclosure that might harm their careers. I have personal knowledge of this. The failure was not a matter of “connecting the dots.” The problem was that timid collection operations did not produce enough dots to connect to provide target intelligence.”

11. My late father, who was old enough to fly P-51D Mustangs for the USAAF during World War 2, once told me that he could remember exactly where he was and what he was doing when he heard about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Likewise, my elder brother (the only one of my siblings who is legitimately a baby boomer) can recall exactly where he was and what he was doing when he heard about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. In the exact same vein, a certain September day seventeen years ago is irremovably burned into my memory. This op-ed, authored by me two years ago, is still relevant (so please read, and perhaps comment): http://rightmi.com/i-remember-and-i-havent-forgotten/

12. Unknownsailor says:

Not only will I never forget, I will never forgive either.

13. Unknownsailor says:

Tunis has an excellent point about the IC as well. This same community has missed nearly every significant historical event to happen in the last 50 years. Fall of the Iron Curtain, the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, the break up of the Soviet Union, World Trade Center the first time around, the Khobar Towers bombing, the Cole combing, the second WTC attack with airplanes, and on, and on, and on….

• Jan says:

You left out Pearl Harbor.

• Covadonga says:

Good point, but our intel community actually knew about Pearl Harbor in advance, from multiple sources.

F. Roosevelt had won reelection in 1940 with a slogan that he would keep the nation out of all foreign wars, while WWII was already raging both in the Chinese/Japanese theater and in Europe.

But he and his bankster political allies desperately wanted to get America into the war, despite all the promises to the people. Plus Winston Churchill knew Britain could not beat Germany without the US.

On top of this, Hitler’s patron Stalin had assembled on his western border the largest military force the world had ever seen, with a view to conquering all of Europe in one massive blitzkrieg.

Stalin wanted Japan and the US to fight each other, so that Japan would be caught in a 2-front war against China and America, leaving the eastern corner of Stalin’s empire unthreatened, and allowing him to focus on his planned western offensive to the Bay of Biscay/Atlantic.

Stalin in the 1930s/1940s had built the most comprehensive and productive rings of agents of influence that the world had ever known to that time. These gave him partial control of events in Chiang Kai Shek’s capital of Nanking, in Tokyo, and in Washington, where one of his many men, FDR’s top aide Harry Hopkins, slept in the White House, much like Valerie Jarrett did in a later administration.

His agents in China and Japan had already triggered the Japanese into launching their invasion of northeastern China in 1930. This was the actual starting point of WWII, as the Imperial Army did not stop fighting on the Chinese mainland did from then until September of 1945.

Building on this success, Stalin launched Operation Snow, a brilliant triple play between his agents in Tokyo, Washington, and Nanking, to goad the Japanese to make war against the US, over the issue of human rights abuses committed by the Japanese in China.

The first overt military fruit of Operation Snow was, of course, the Pearl Harbor strike.

So this is why Roosevelt ordered the US intel community to suppress their information that a Japanese fleet was sailing to Hawaii. He needed a Japanese surprise attack to give him political cover when he achieved his dream of asking Congress for a declaration of war, after all his promises to the contrary.

For the same reason, he kept his commanders in theater, Admiral Kimmel and General Short, in the dark. If they had known an enemy fleet was about to launch an air strike against them on American soil, they would have done something about it. Giving them the intelligence, but ordering them not to preempt Yamamoto, would have been impossible to hush up. FDR’s cynical lack of integrity would have shown through darkly for all to see.

So giving Yamamoto a free shot on our goal was the only option for a nasty crook like Roosevelt, under the influence of Stalin’s man Hopkins and many other Washington Communists, as he was.

Of course, being a racist (he was a Democrat, after all,) Roosevelt never thought a bunch of little yellow men would be able to do much against the mighty American Pacific fleet, even with the advantage of complete tactical surprise. So he never expected the loss of life and the crippling blow to our Pacific surface warfare capability that actually occurred, much like the Rodham/Soebarkah team never expected to lose an ambassador and 3 other guys.

14. Cheri Lawrence says:

Amen!

15. BobInFL says:

I will never forget that day and am always anxious as the day approaches each year.
    I worked in an office building in Lyndhurst, NJ – 15-20 miles from downtown NYC. My office looked out onto the manhattan skyline.

I arrived at work at my regular time that morning – and it was a beautiful morning – shocking blue sky, no clouds and a feeling of fall in the air. I drove the country roads from my home in Rockland Cty NY to Lyndhurst that day and it was a beautiful drive. I got to work around 7:30 and was doing my regular routine – answering emails, planning the day ahead when one of my employees came into my office to apoligize for being late – traffic was backed up on Rt 17 – this was around 8:50 am. He said do you see what’s going on outside?? I turned around and the (north?) tower was billowing smoke – he said a small plane crashed into the tower. My first thought was that it wasn’t a “small” plane – based upon the amount of smoke – and that it wasn’t an accident – I have flown around those buildings with a pilot friend a number of times – and you would have to be out cold or aiming at them.

As we stood at the window watching, a couple of other employees joined us in my office. I noticed a plane racing in from the southwest, very low, very fast and I remarked that another one was on the way. We watched live as it slammed into the other tower and the huge fireball that exploded out the other side of the building left no doubt that for the first time in my life I was witnessing America under attack.

I immediately called 911 – felt like I had to do something – and the Hackensack police department could not connect to or call the military in any way. I asked if they could connect with the FBI – no, no couldn’t do that either. I ended up leaving a message at the LI office of the FBI – what a feeling of helplessness.

The rest of the day we pulled together and made sure all of our reservists/vets, who were getting called to their bases – had rental cars to get back home. And we watched in horror as each tower fell right outside our windows.

I remember the smell of the air leaving the building – nothing like the air in the morning when I arrived – an acrid, burnt rubber smell I will never forget. I gave blood that evening on my way home and cried when I heard there was no one to give it to.

I rode the train in the next day and was even sadder as I noticed that a number of the wall street acquaintances that I saw playing cards on their way to work were not there – and would not be coming back again. It broke my heart as I remember them bringing their kids to work and now their mothers and fathers would not be coming home again.

That day changed me forever. I worked in downtown manhattan in 1993 for the first trade center bombing – shook our offices – but didn’t really wake me up. After 9-11 I decided to try to find out why we were being targeted and learned to distrust our news media and sniveling rinos (especially Bush). That was when I learned about Islam – and then it all made sense.

May God bless my old train-mates , their families, first responders, those who lost their lives on those planes, in the buildings and in the field and our military.

Never forget – never let it happen again!

• George Hicks says:

You reminded me of all those volunteers making hundreds of wooden stretchers out of plywood and 2 x 4’s that were never used. Or the medical crews waiting outside the hospitals with gurneys, ready for the hundreds of injured that never came.

16. I have very vivid memories of that day, like most of us alive at the time. During that time I was in NYC every 1-2 weeks helping in a long term consulting gig. I was speaking with the assistant to the CEO when the first plane hit; she told me and we both commiserated, never realizing then what had happened. On my drive to see another client, I heard about the next plane–and of course then it was clearly terrorism. Years earlier I had commuted into NYC from NJ and used the PATH station at the WTC.
    While at my local client’s office, we watched the coverage. I called my husband (engineer) to find out how long it would take for the tower to collapse. He and his colleagues had made the grim calculations. So much sorrow, such horrible images.
    I called our rector and asked him whether we were scheduling a church service—which he did do after we discussed it. The church that night was packed, and my father-in-law came with us as my MIL was in Europe on a trip. I will never forget that he said it was worse than Pearl Harbor to him.
    We had called all our friends to be sure they were ok–many in Boston and NYC, but never never thought about my husband’s cousin as she lived in Boston but to our knowledge was not traveling much. It was devastating to learn late in the day that she was aboard the first plane to hit the towers. She was one of the most dear, most charming and brightest women I knew. So much sorrow.
    And then we kept learning of friends and colleagues of our friends in NJ/NY that had perished on that awful day.
    As a side note, I’ve been an early adopter of internet “news”; partly as in my work we deployed digital strategies for multiple reasons very early. It was not hard to see that something big was imminent if you read online then. So I never did understand why the IC was unable to prevent the attacks. Reading upthread it is disheartening, if not surprising, to learn of the role that Clapper had in facilitating this.
    All of this makes our current issues much more pressing for me personally. We need to keep fighting for our great country and not allow ourselves to be bamboozled by fake memes, identity politics, creeps that would hijack our government to turn it against us, and the so-called elite opinion makers who are unable to speak or know the truth.
    Let’s commemorate the loss of the many that died that day, the first responders and military that have died to protect us, and amp up our fight to keep our country free and great!

17. FredeDK says:

I was sad to see, that the comments on the live stream I saw the speech on, was in full blown “9/11 was and inside job” mode. 17 years later, and still it’s not about the thousands of life’s lost, but some conspiracy you saw on YouTube.

I remember coming home from my base, to start my maternity leave, as my wife was expected to give birth to my oldest soon, and just as I step in, I saw plane number two hit. I turned to my wife, and said I’m sorry, you have to keep the baby in, because I bet I have to go back to the base soon. Not 10 min. later the phone rang, and sure enough, it was a call back to standby. Even here in Europe we knew this was really bad, and everyone in my company had his blood boiling, when we heard about the celebrations in the “multi ethnic” parts of our larger cities.
    My company had a lot of veterans from the war on Balkan, and we had seen what the religion of peace really meant, so they should thank the rock they pray too, that we wasn’t sent in to help the police.

Last year I took my kids to ground zero, a special place to show the one who was born less than a week later, and tell them why I have a harsh look on people who belittle the memories of the dead, by promoting conspiracies and blaming Bush/Jews of the tragedy.

As the British say “we will remember them” Rest In Peace, and may the terrorists and the minds and money behind burn in hell for eternity.

18. MaryfromMarin says:

On the 18th anniversary… In honor of all the heroes of 9/11, known and unknown.
    (apologies if this has already been posted)

BOATLIFT, An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience

19. lizzieintexas says:

20. lizzieintexas says:

Rare photos of Ground Zero

21. mtk says:

Just my take, I know it is semantics.

The saying should be…

“We Shall Never Forget”

Reason… A ‘will’ can be bent. Maybe why, ‘shall’ is prevalently used in Bible.

It would drive the left bonkers, having to legislate a law making “We Shall Never Forget” the official referencing point in regards to 9/11.

22. Les Standard says:

Today, the screaming democrats demand open borders, abolishing ICE, killing police, bringing in muslims by the truckload, and impeaching a duly elected president. Its just a continuation of attacks that began in 2001

23. Pam says:

24. Enoughisenough says:

As I drove into my small, rural town in “flyover country” this morning, I was greeted to the sight of one of our local hook and ladders, parked in a service station, with “Old Glory” respectfully hoisted as close to Heaven as earthly possible. I had to pull over and wipe away a tear. God Bless those who were lost on that fateful day. You will never, ever be forgotten.

25. Texian says:

The Twin Towers were a monument of American Greatness and achievement..

Forget the somber platitudes – rebuild the Twin Towers – that will be a true honor to those who perished.

This attack was an attack on our Constitution.. the opening salvo of the end game that was to be consumated after the 2016 election.. then came Sir Trump.. but the battle isn’t over..

26. Lucille says:

Al Qaeda is as strong as ever 17 years after September 11th, 2001
    Tipping Point With Liz Wheeler on OAN

27. LBB says:

Extra reflective today upon waking. Think because all the extra we have been through this year.

Special Eagle appearance.

28. pam2246 says:

video/1

29. nwtex says:

30. The kind of Nike ad campaign America deserves…

31. VandalizeDuhMastuhsAlgorithms says:

About 15 years prior, another Islamist terror-ist almost succeeded…

Sorry it’s just Wikipedia, but it does fairly represent an incident I remember well…

The relevant point being, attempts to use passenger aircraft as terror weapons happened a long time prior to September 11, 2001.

Then there was this, the Pan-Am Flt. 103 downing over Lockerbie, Scotland…

And this;

To me, this is a Ginormous, Humongous point!!!

Civilian Passenger Aircraft had been used/deployed as terror weapons long before our own 9-11… And our Counter-Intel folks had “No Actionable Intelligence” to even think this was possible, much less try to mitigate/defend/prevent this carnage?

Really? So why do we American Citizens and taxpayers fund supposedly Counter-Terror Investigative Operations… whose track record (think batting average) of success really is abysmal.

V.D.M.A.

32. Deb says:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him we humbly pray, and may thou, oh Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into Hell Satan, and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

33. Mary Ann says:

There are so many views about what happened that day..
    I saw it on a 13 inch black and white TV with a tin foil wrapped antenna.. I am old fashioned 🙂
    I wish we would all go back to the old fashioned ways of truth and dignity being a first priority in life.. What happened on 9/11 can never be forgotten and destined to be repeated if we fall asleep..

34. Kaco says:

A heartbreaking day, our country has never been the same. They say JFK’s assassination was the end of innocence. 9-11 was the end of any semblance of innocence left. So many lost that day, so many brave heroes, it’s still overwhelming. God Bless America.

35. dayallaxeded says:

I have to get away from 9/11 remembrance, b/c it makes me too angry and sad. A person I loved very much in our youth, but had become estranged from for many years (she was a wonderful person, but did not suffer fools lightly, including me), died suddenly 8/11/18. Ended any hope of any reconciliation or closure. Makes 9/11 an especially sad milestone–personal and national grief. It doesn’t take much to bring the tears these days.