Jacksonville Landing is a central Jacksonville entertainment complex with a blend of restaurants, bars, and family entertainment.  According to local authorities a mass shooting event took place during a Madden Football video-game tournament, in/around the Chicago Pizza venue.  Early reports indicate 11 to 15 people were shot; and four people have been reported killed.  The shooting suspect is also deceased.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Sources say at least eleven people have been shot and four are dead after a shooting at the Jacksonville Landing Sunday afternoon.

Jacksonville Police said one suspect is dead and they are finding people hiding in locked places, people are urged to stay calm and where they are. Swat is doing methodical search of Landing.

“We will get to you. Please don’t come running out,” said JSO via twitter.  Police urge everyone to stay away from the area because it is not safe.

Early reports say they were shot inside a game room at the Chicago Pizza and others may have been wounded in the gunfire.

Witnesses said they saw several people being taken out on stretchers.

We are being told that the wounded victims have been taken to Memorial Hospital and UF Health Hospital.

Several ambulances, firefighters and police officers are on the scene and roads are being blocked off downtown near the Jacksonville Landing.  (read more)

The shooting appears to have occurred inside a pizza restaurant that includes a bar dedicated to video games and other forms of gaming. The bar was in the middle of hosting the Madden 19 Southeastern Qualifier Tournament, which comes with a $5,000 prize.

On a video of a live stream shared online, individuals playing in the Madden NFL video game tournament are interrupted by a series of popping blasts and screaming. “What’s he shooting with?” one person can be heard asking in the live-stream audio.

FYI, while the immediate Jacksonville Landing area is generally considered a family outing and/or entertainment venue relating to the Jacksonville Jaguars football team; the area surrounding it (the way in/out) is generally considered a no-go zone by those aware of the Safari Principle.

This entry was posted in Police action, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

446 Responses to Shooting at Jacksonville Landing Entertainment Complex – Initial Report: Eleven Shot, Four Killed….

1. covfefe999 says:

Extending the Chicago comments … 324 shot and killed in Chicago so far this year. We are in week # 34 of the year so there are nearly 10 shooting-killings per week, every week. Only 4 of the 324 were police-involved. But these massacres are rarely newsworthy. Oh well, if nobody else cares, i guess I don’t either. Most are limited to the parts of the city that are total wastelands anyway, full of welfare scammers, drug dealers, robbers, etc. Almost makes me want the numbers to be higher. I’m for total annihilation in those neighborhoods, then .

• Habitats of the Democrat Base.

• Henry says:

But muh black lives mutter

• Swampcat says:

Not everyone stuck living in those neighborhoods are bad people. I think it is atrocious that this bloodshed is allowed to continue. Funded and sponsored by democrats……

• covfefe999 says:

I think they are all bad people in those neighborhoods. The good ones left. The bad ones stay there. And they have kids there and put their kids in constant danger!

• Peoria Jones says:

I happen to know a good number of Blacks who left Chiraq and came downstate to escape the crime. Problem is, the VAST MAJORITY of them has a chip on their shoulder, hates whitey, and brings their failed Dem politics with them to infest the downstate Black community and community at large.

God bless those I know who have changed their views and have not voted to bring destruction with them. I pray for those who are stuck, know the difference, and cannot escape

• MGBSE says:

…perfect example of the trash police everywhere have to deal with, day in and day out happened in Houston over the weekend – a black female security guard and every other black patron at the gas station, was filming a WHITE cop trying to arrest a BLACK gangbanger and THE GUARD REFUSED TO HELP THE COP…fortunately all ended well…the trash is in jail, the cop is alive and the worthless, fat, criminal, security guard is fired. Blacks in these democrat run ghettos do not care about law and order, refuse to cooperate with the police and protect the robbers, murderers and rapists living among them.

Plain and simple – BLACK LIVES DO NOT MATTER ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, ANY DAY, UNLESS SHOT BY A COP…during the last 50 YEARS X 1,500+ murders a year = close to 50 THOUSAND blacks murdered by blacks – add to that 20 MILLION black babies aborted since 1973 and it is amazing 40million blacks have survived.

The truth…ONLY if criminal blacks are shot and killed by a cop – usually while committing a crime – is it worth BLM terrorists, race pimps, NAACP and CBC time…time to scream racism against cops and whites, protest racism against cops and whites, print t-shirts claiming racism by cops and whites, go on TV and scream racism about cops and whites – while celebrating killing cops and whites…in the meantime…the white racists running the democrat party, DNC and their welfare plantations – are replacing America hating blacks with America hating illegal aliens, as their new voting bloc…this will not go well as it will only increase the bloodshed.

2. MIKE says:

Well, thank God they don’t have any “grand theft auto” gaming tournaments, yet.

3. Mary Ann says:

They will never blame Big Pharma for any mass shooting or violent behavior..
    They will however blame the gun.. and mention the shooter had “mental issues”

4. scrap1ron says:

As always, proper parenting prevents piss poor performance.

• Amy2 says:

LOL! I had a boss that used to use a similar phrase. The seven P’s Amy, seven P’s! Proper prior planning prevents pi$$ poor performace. I use the six P’s, but I didn’t want to re-write history here!

5. Tom S. says:

Chicago Pizza !!!!

6. TomR,Worc,MA,USA says:

“Safari Principal”?

7. FL_GUY says:

Mass shooting in Jacksonville = Average day in Chicago. Why are there no constant reports of the mass shootings in Chicago? Rhetorical question.

8. Unhinged Resistance Democrat. Don’t get fooled by the anti 2A crod blaming this on Trump supporters.

9. American Male says:

Of course we must “Ban” all “video-game tournaments”…….”for the children”…. I mean “if it saves just one child’s life it’s worth it” right?

Get your popcorn ready, the Very Fake News CNN “town hall” I mean “Kafkaesque show trial” hosted by Fredo Cuomo in heavily Democratic Jacksonville starts in .. …3……2……1……

• Donna in Oregon says:

Um, yes. Let’s protect the children. Good idea! I like it. Take their games, for their own good.

They can play tangible games like Yahtzee, Candyland and Monopoly. Maybe we should teach them Bridge or Canasta? Make them part of the human family again.

More popcorn 🙂

• Chewbarkah says:

With rare exceptions, spree shooters just happen to be obsessive video gamers. Games properly played and supervised help children learn to deal with disappointment. The little Katz boy seems not to have been very “resilient.”

10. Binkser1 says:

I know this is kind of out there and really may have nothing to do with this shooting. The early reports are that this guy did this because he lost in the tournament. So, he killed people because he lost (supposedly, may never know). What other group do we know that refuses to accept losing and responds with violence? The “Resistance,” the Dems/Left/Progressives. They are teaching people that it is okay to attack others if you lose. Again, may have nothing to do with this shooting but it is a thought.

11. Jane Smith says:

It’s reported that he lost the tournament.
    A few days ago, another gamer who was shut out of a game, drove his car 100 mph the wrong way in a San Diego HOV lane, killing a mother and daughter in a head-on crash.

• MTeresa says:

This was absolutely tragic. An innocent 43 year old mother and her 12 year old daughter were annihilated because of this “gamer”. I’m so angry and saddened by this loss.

Please, will the mental health experts take a look at the affect of too much time these young skulls full of mush waste on video games? Honestly, between drugging these young boys up because they’re behaving, like well, boys and a constant diet of computer stimulation………a recipe for disaster. A car, a knife, a gun. The weapon doesn’t matter – it’s what’s going on in their heads.

But hey, let’s take away the 2A for every law abiding American citizen. Sure, that’ll fix it.

12. John says:

I live in Jax and the Landing is a complete ruin, it was nice 25 years ago when it was first built it’s not the “entertainment” hot spot it is being made out to be but quite the opposite.

• Swampcat says:

I have only been there once in quite a few years. We used to take the water taxi over from the south bank, but we finally just quit going. Went to a concert there a few years ago, my son was playing at the Country/Western bar upstairs.. Only time I have been there in about the past 10 years. When my kids were young we frequently went for concerts and 4th of July and other great events. Now I consider it too dangerous to be worth the risk. At least at night, but then this shooting spree was early afternoon. Geez….

• Your Tour Guide says:

Sounds like a waterside version of Underground Atlanta.
        Which you shouldn’t bother going to unless you pack heat.

• Somebody says:

Totally agree John, the landing is almost vacant these days. Quite frankly IMO it never was a hot spot. It’s just FL-GA weekend and that’s about it.

This gaming bar and the tournaments they are bringing was actually breathing a little life back into it. In fact my two young adult kids have been talking about this place, many of their friends have been going there to watch and/or participate in tournaments. My daughter and son were supposed to go there next weekend for the 1st time…..not now.

• Swampcat says:

I think the Landing was fun when it was first built. What was that, around the late 1980’s? It has gone so downhill and I never even consider it a place to go anymore. MOSH, which is a pretty ok museum, especially for kids, is right there and I used to take my kids and then go grab a meal at the Landing. Thank goodness my kids are now grown and I don’t have to go to any of those places anymore. I do go to the federal courthouse, next to Hemming Park, every Wednesday. And if you are from Jax you know what that is like…..

• Binkser1 says:

Live here too John. Place is overrun with thugs. Same as the malls.

• Somebody says:

Recency, 😲

• Swampcat says:

You mean Regency mall? OMG. Would never, ever go there since 1990. Would never, ever go to Arlington, though I know there are good parts of Arlington, I’m just not sure where they are. I moved to St. Johns County in 1999 to get away from the bullshit.

• RM says:

Seems like quite a few here from around my parts. Ft. Caroline east is going down hill in more than topography, too. I’ll be selling my 2 acres before long, been here 52 years, before there were paved roads to the Fort.

• Rami says:

Yep..parts of Arlington, after dark, definitely no go. Worse was the shooting Friday night after the Raines high school football game.

• Guyver1 says:

Rami, I live in the Monument Road area northeast of Regency Mall.
              I no longer dare go out shopping after sunset.
              The Jacksonville I knew has been dying for decades. And as it gets bigger, it dies faster. The northeast urban scum who moved here to get away from the cities they themselves destroyed are doing the same thing to Jax.
              Looking into getting out of here when I retire😟.

• sedge2z says:

My husband and I grew up in Jacksonville (Robert E. Lee high school – wonder if it has survived)

A few years ago we went downtown in the afternoon to an art gallery opening. We chatted with a friendly guy that looked just like Flip Wilson, then the two of them left to go get our car. My husband was attacked and badly beaten (stitches required) That black guy (“Flip”) had a knife and said he was going to gut my husband for his wallet and watch.

A Warning for Treepers, FYI:
      After you get in your car and put on your seatbelt, while you are closing the car door, the attacker rushes in, grabs the car keys and throws them away, wedges himself between you and the steering wheel, pins down your free arm and presses a knife to your neck and starts punching your face. You’re strapped in with arms pinned down.

Now we are WOKE.

PS: I met the real Flip Wilson and he was very nice.

• Amy2 says:

So sorry sedge! Thanks for the warning! I try and remember to close my car door and lock before the seat belt. Women are notorious for screwing around with stuff when we first get in!

• JX says:

EA 5,000$ Madden Southeastern Qualifier

Compete in the Southeastern Qualifier for the Madden NFL Championship Series for Madden NFL 19 at GLHF Game Bar! This is your chance to earn your spot in the first Major’s Live Finals happening in October 2018. Don’t hesitate to secure your spot! Games will be played on XBOX One. Sign Up Link: https://matcherino.com/tournaments/11680 Road to Madden 19 Classic link: https://matcherino.com/madden Rules EA’s Official Rules will be available starting August 6th, 2018 on maddenchampionship.com All games will be played on Xbox One consoles. Players must bring their own Xbox One controllers. Format Round Robin, Bo1 Group Stage – 4 Players Per Group, Up to 64 Groups – 2 Players Advance Per Group Single Elimination, Bo1 Playoff Bracket Stage – Up to 128 Players from Group Stage – No 3rd Place Decider Schedule Saturday, August 25th – Check-in begins at 10:00AM EDT – Group Play begins at 11:00AM EDT Sunday, August 26th – Check-in begins at 10:00AM EDT – Tournament Play resumes at 11:00AM EDT Prizing – 1st – 2nd Place: $250.00 USD each + Finals Qualification w/ Travel and Lodging – 3rd – 4th Place: $1,000.00 USD each – 5th – 8th Place: $425.00 USD each – 9th – 16th Place: $100.00 USD each

13. jahealy says:

I’ve been hearing about these big money e-gaming tournaments for several months now on Varney on FBN. Maybe it’s just me, but from the moment I heard they were a thing, and there was money to be made, it felt like a recipe for disaster.

Why would the collective “we” want to encourage adolescent and teenage boys and young men to take up video gaming as either a full-time hobby or a career, making them hopeful they’ll win all the money they’ll ever need at tournaments?

All I can see in my mind’s eye are convention halls full of young males with one and only one “skill,” all sitting in the dark playing games as if it’s their life’s destiny. No practical skills, few social skills, little ability to communicate verbally or in writing, no muscle tone, lousy posture, and no interest in anything but video games.

Maybe I’m too pessimistic about the prospect, and it’s not my intention to be disrespectful to anyone here who’s a “gamer” or the parent or friend of one. I just can’t imagine how, on a large scale, this is a good thing for our culture.

• Publius2016 says:

gambling!

• Anonymous says:

Working with some of these “men” in their early-30s, I must concur with your take. Video games (when you still had to put a quarter in down at the arcade) lost their appeal when I hit junior high. Don’t get it. Honestly, I don’t.

• Publius2016 says:

here’s McSkillet who was seen driving the wrong way on Califotnia Highway…allegedly killing two (mother and daughter): GAMBLING
        “One person on Twitter said the McLaren driver was his friend who was going through a hard time. Some tweets said that McSkillet had lost his income when the Counter-Strike game developer, Valve, “banned his life’s work” in selling slick decals, or “skins” for virtual gaming guns and other toys.

Others on Twitter condemned him for killing two innocent people.

Kevin Hitt, editor in chief of VPesport.com online gaming news outlet, said Valve, under constraints from the state of Washington gambling commission, confiscated about $200,000 worth of McSkillet’s skins and shut down his ability to acquire more.

Hitt said McSkillet, and others in the gaming gambling world, would take bets on the potential value of skins, and third-party sites would use software to assign a dollar value to different styles of skins, based on their relative rarity. Other sites would make the payouts to betters, taking a commission.”

sounds like SC incident

• TreeClimber says:

Having married a gamer (as did my sister, who became one,) and seen the crowd they run with, and the skills they have… I won’t say your conclusions are entirely false. I will say that different games attract different crowds, and the crowd to which my husband belongs are all genius-level smart, in some way or other, (although you’re correct about the social skills,) and I would trust them not only with my life, but to be able to save it. NFL tournament games? I wouldn’t know about that kind. But the kind my husband/his “people” play, don’t lead to what you said.

14. covfefe999 says:

It seems some people think a guy named Derek Jones did it, but others think a David Katz did it. Purely on tweets, I’m going with Katz. Hate to say it but he’s got that psych med drugged look..

15. lawton says:

The gaming community seems certain from people there it was that withdrawn looking guy they call “Bread” – he kind of reminds me of that other FL school shooter. I wonder of psych meds cause that withdrawn look.

16. Binkser1 says:

Local news here in Jacksonville said the shooter is from Baltimore. No name yet.

17. covfefe999 says:

Are the media outlets back to fawning over McCain or still reporting the shooting? I hope the latter.

18. kea says:

Can’t deal with reality? OR is upset not everyone got a trophy.

19. nimrodman says:

I’m struck by the hypocrisy that public officials (the Sheriff, in this case) were so quick to identify the race of the shooter, since they scrupulously and intentionally do NOT do the same when the criminal is an Af-Am and claim that the “race of the suspect is not germane”.

To the extreme that they won’t even include an Af-Am perp description in in BOLOs, when time is of the essence and accurate description could lead to case-solving tips …

… watering down public announcements to something as ineffectual as “Be On the Look Out for a man in trousers and a shirt”

“Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said at 4:30 p.m. that the gunman, a white man, is dead, but he wouldn’t confirm casually counts …”

• JX says:

BOLO – suspect has head, two arms, two legs

• RobInPA says:

Yeah, funny that!

Kind of the same when a ‘suspect’ shouts aloha snack-bar before going on a murderous shooting or motor-vehicle rampage, has a house full and computer full of radical islamic extremist propaganda, was known to attend a mosque led by a radicalized imam, made various verbal threats to those in his circle, and then gets killed in action, the official line “We may never know what his motive was.” is ludicrous.

20. Harry Lime says:

Press briefing any minute now. Live Feed:

• andyocoregon says:

Death count now revised to two shot dead and the shooter killed himself, for a total of 3 dead. 9 injured by gunshots and 2 other injuries.

• covfefe999 says:

I’m glad there is one fewer death. But ugh, the two who were murdered. Seeing Eli Clayton in that video with the laser light on him and then hearing the screams after the screen freezes is almost as bad as seeing something graphic.

21. SickRick says:

As in – you’ve made 2 pretty bizarre responses directly on my posts:

“This is Why I don’t have much trouble either..
    I’m a CRAZY F-ing White Boy NOT to be messed with..
    I chased A guy down the street with a Machete once.. In full view of My neighbors..
    When I was living in DA HOOD.. Never had ANY problems.. 😉
    Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do..
    Absence Police Presence & Law enforcement..
    I MADE SURE they KNEW I was ARMED, with a 12 & .410 gauge Shotgun(s)..
    (I like Squirrels for dinna..) besides, they were chewing My cable/electric wires.. 😉

I live in “the hood” in my city – it’s advantageous from a business standpoint for the converted warehouse I call home. But I don’t chase my neighbors down the street with machetes. I don’t have “no go zones”, because I have the ability to defend myself. Neither do I go “looking for trouble” because I have that ability.

“I hope you “lost” your Weapons in a “Boating accident” after this post.”

Have no idea WHAT that’s about.

So what exactly is your problem?

R

• Paintingjan says:

What exactly is this ^^^ ???

• Sandra-VA says:

I had to go back a page to see the genesis of this very odd post… and I do believe you ought to go back and read the post you are responding to AGAIN. You completely missed the mark (pun intended) with your response.

Crossthread42 was offering the excuse you might proffer to the good Sheriff of Broward County whom you say likely is after you and your weapons.

• SickRick says:

Thanks – he seemed like an OK guy from his previous posts. Couldn’t figure out where he as at.

Not saying BSO is “after my stuff” – my response was to a question regarding gun law down here. Because I was amongst the (small) crowd protesting outside BSO HQ following Parkland, Israel (who is known for holding a grudge) probably has taken note. He’s very anti-2A from day one, and I’m part of a pretty vocal 2A crowd round these parts.

The lack of actual constitutional protections for these “emergency orders”, make the possibility of them being abused, to high for comfort. I wouldn’t say I was paranoid – wary might be a better term.

Apologies to Crossthread42, if I misunderstood his intent.

R

• No problem “sickrick,, just some /Sarcism.. You stated you had a “u-haul” worth of Weapons.. thus, I opined (for security .fed.gov purposes) you may have lost them in a “boating accident”, like Gold bars yes?
      You said “you’re a crazy white boy” in Da hood” soo.
      I am also, (Or once was)….
      I have NO Problems, and I like “Squirrels for dinna”
      Problem? I think not..
      I’m a avid hunter..

22. Harry Lime says:

Is there going to be a competent investigation or is the FBI getting involved?

23. sundance says:

• andyocoregon says:

He sure wasn’t there to make friends today.

• Gil says:

Well wow. Not the other guy at all. I thought the other one looked a bit more “normal”. This one however looks lost and dejected.

• Sandra-VA says:

I am betting this kid has some kind of mental illness or on the autistic spectrum. You can just look at his face and see that he probably spends all of his time on video games… his eyes are sunken, tinged with black and you see the veins in his face. He looks gaunt so probably doesn’t stop playing long enough to eat properly.

It is not healthy to live in the video game… to the point that losing makes you actually kill in real life!

Very sad.

• dawg says:

And prescribed lots of psych drugs.

• SickRick says:

Or self-medicated. The pinhole-pupils are a dead give-away. Small & non-reactive.

Not going for the whole “MK-Ultra Drone Strike” thing (yet).

Now – Baltimore (MD as a whole) is not the easiest place to get a handgun.

Though it’s not the hardest either. And he didn’t come to FL and walk into a shop (or even the “dreaded gun show loophole”) as a non-resident and walk out with one.

Since this kid “had medical issues”, was his firearm LEGAL?

And we’re not talking “gun free zone” legal – unless restricted BY LAW. If this “bar” sold food, and wasn’t PRIMARILY a place that sold liquor – legal to carry – concealed with a permit. But FL permits are NOT RECIPROCAL with MD, and EVEN IF HE HAD AN MD CWP – he wouldn’t be legal to carry in FL (because FL doesn’t honor states that do not honor OURS).

As far as “gun free zones” in FL go. If it is NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW (specified by FL Statute 790.06(12)(a). A posted “Gun Free Zone” (unless in the referenced statute), is a “suggestion” – that is – you can be asked to leave, and if you refuse: “armed trespass after warning” is what you can be arrested for. If you leave when asked – no harm/no foul. So despite this place being a “bar” – since it’s called “Chicago Pizza”, chances are it’s legally a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Curious to see how much background on this kid, will actually see daylight. Also curious to see if the M.E. will release the results of his tox-screen – so we can see WTF he was on…

R

24. V.I.G. says:

I heard Mueller has already granted John Madden immunity. For telling everyone this is Trumps fault.

25. Molly Pitcher says:

More about him…he didn’t seem to be well liked or fun

26. EternalVigilanc3 says:

Here’s a link to twitter, it’s the mother of one of the guys shot.

27. covfefe999 says:

Now I’m interested in knowing more about the perp’s family.

28. Iamcat says:

Marilou Danley, Paddocks girlfriend was FBI. Her family ngerprints all over the ammo. Now everything falls into place. Paddock did not murder anyone, he was murdered himself and his body obviously posed. Sick.

29. BSR says:

Safari zone sounds like Hyena theory. Attack the most vulnerable not the most coveted. Attack in numbers or with overwhelming force even though they mean no harm and are non violent. Not rocket science but I understand it all too well. Jacksonville Landing in Fla and Laclede’s Landing in STL have many parallels. Our football team went back to its rightful home which made issues worse ironically. Good reporting SD. Thanks.

30. covfefe999 says:

I want to bring this down to make more room for comments. This document is so interesting. https://thedailyrecord.com/maryland-family-law/files/2014/06/2033s12-Katz-v.-Katz.pdf It says:

The parties were married in 1998 and had two children, Brandon, born on March 29,
    1990, and David, born on December 22, 1993. Both children had significant healthcare
    needs.

Both children in this family have significant medical problems and needs

The parents were divorced in 2007. They didn’t marry until 8 years after their older son was born? Or did they adopt? I’m recalling the Parkland shooting, that kid was adopted and the mother ended up raising him alone after her husband died.

• Publius2016 says:

where’s video surveillance? why “suicide”?? was he accompanied to the Landing??? why all the scrubbing???? “Bread”?????

• covfefe999 says:

I want to know if David had a mental illness and I also want to know if he kept guns in the house, like Adam Lanza and the kid who did the Parkland shooting.

• covfefe999 says:

Wow, I think the mother is 60 and the father is 58. I don’t know why I was expecting them to be younger. That would have made the mother around 36 when she had David (if he was not adopted) and the father around 34, definitely not unusual. The other son appears to be living in CA.

31. Molly Pitcher says:

Not that it’s particularly relevant either way but he was a PTrump hater. Maybe that’s why there hasn’t been Lefty freakout ?

• covfefe999 says:

That’s interesting. He seems to write well and he’s confident enough to insult others. So I wonder what his “serious medical problems and needs” are as mentioned in that divorce-related document. Maybe he has a serious physical problem and the meds make him look wonky?

• Molly Pitcher says:

I don’t know..maybe some issue like hyperactivity.( CRS cant remember the name) taking adderall or ritalin or possibly psychological issues that required lots of Dr visits and meds?

32. dayallaxeded says:

As a father of sons almost the same age as the Katzes, I’m going to say the video game industry and culture have been disgusting and corrupt for a very long time. When I say corrupt, I don’t mean in a legal or governmental sense, but in a fundamental moral sense. At the same time, it’s entirely up to parents to do what needs to be done to ensure kids can deal with even horrible nasty shiite, that’s permitted in a free society, as under our 1st Amendment, without losing their moral bearings. My kids wanted to play GTA and the like. My wife was/is a pushover. So I had to sit with them and guide them away from the misanthropic, violent aspects of those games and reinforce their moral compasses. We discovered some really amazing things in those games–e.g., you can boost tanks, helicopters, even a Harrier and drive/fly them anywhere you want. It’s not necessary to focus on virtual violence. It’s worked out better than I or my wife deserve. I have wonderful sons. Everyone’s MMV. But there’s no question, irresponsible or psychologically troubled parents are the principal issues, along with the psychologically troubled and medicated kids they unleash on the rest of society. I, my wife, and sons will, therefore, be keeping all our precious metals (steel, brass, and lead) for our own and our family’s protection.

33. Gaffer says:

Any meds?

34. dawg says:

“According to Baltimore Sun crime reporter Justin Fenton, court records linked to Katz’s parents’ divorce indicated he had “significant medical problems and healthcare needs.”

WE have GOT to do something about the overmedication and overprescription of drugs to our youth!

I believe that lazy parenting has led to the over-diagnosis of “ADHD” and prescription of Ritalin and Adderall for younger kids, then when they become young adults, they are prescribed psych and SSRI drugs for depression, etc…..

There is NO DOUBT that these drugs alter your brain, especially with younger people. The pharma companies even state in writing and on the commercials the possible side effects of these drugs, like “aggression, violent tendencies, etc….” Its simply a matter of odds. The more kids that are on these drugs, the more shootings we will have.

• covfefe999 says:

It’s scary to see an of the psychatric forums … people in there saying stuff like “Hi, I’m taking Ritalin, Prozac, Xanax, and I’m thinking of adding lithium”. They seem to have no reservation at all doping themselves up,

And I worry for the rest of us too because with such a high use rate of psych meds they are surely in our water supply and so we are essentially all taking them. There’s no way the water departments can take all of that stuff out. Maybe snowflakey weakness and upsurge in gender confusion is a result of pharmaceutical pollution

35. LULU says:

Katz was one of those quiet introverted types we seem to hear too much about. They live with their devices, their video games. Little contact with the outside world except for these competitions. They have no sense of what is the real world and what is gaming. Katz had apparently won one of these competitions in the past. He had just been disqualified from this one after traveling all the way from Baltimore to participate. In his unreal world, he was a victim. Someone must be punished.

• covfefe999 says:

I don’t absolve the parents. They knew he was seriously mentally ill. Was David living with his father? Did his father know he owned guns? Was he capable of travelling across the country on his own?

36. LULU says:

Tell me this is normal – reporting on his win in Buffalo in 2017:

“In what some are calling the most exciting moment in all the 2017 NFL Club Series Championships, David ‘Bread’ Katz won with a walk-off victory by completing an unbelievable pass as time expired to be crowned Buffalo Bills Champion,” the EA Sports website says. “The crowd at 716 Food and Sport in Buffalo, NY was amazed with the clutch execution in the 4th quarter!”

• 6x47 says:

Yes, it’s funny how the commentary on a video game makes it seem as if the player actually exhibited athletic prowess for Pressing X O and triangle key in combination.

• Binkser1 says:

Is it normal when people talk about sporting events in the same way? If so, why is a higher premium put on someone who has athletic ability over someone who uses their hand eye coordination? Both athletes and these gamers have to use their brains to perform at the highest level, so why is not normal to get excited about a videogame play but its perfectly fine over an NFL game? Violence in games is definitely an issue but I really don’t see the connection in this case. Competitive Madden gamers pretty much only play Madden. This guy had problems beyond games.

• covfefe999 says:

I would say the only connection is that certain types of psychiatric disorders seem to cause an inordinate interest in and comfort with computers. Lots of Asperger’s types in computing jobs, they probably wouldn’t do nearly as well in any other field..

37. 6x47 says:

Just been reading how the killer in Jacksonville exhibits the “flat effect” – the dead eyes, oddly expressionless face, of a psychopath.

Tony Soprano had a great name for them. “Manson lamps.”

38. scrap1ron says:

My generation were free range kids and played outside. During summer vacation we left the house after breakfast to play. Coming home for lunch was optional, but were expected to be home for supper at 5pm. Then back outside till dark. That only changed when Batman came on after the evening news body count reports of the Vietnam war, the neighborhood suddenly emptied of all children for that 30 minutes.The closest thing to video gaming was pong and my father despised it as a waste and hooking it up to the TV negatively impacted *his claim* the reception of the 4-5 channels that was all most households received. We actually socialized with our peers, and though we had our fights *bloody noses, black eyes, hurt feelings* were the extent of the damage. This wanton depraved indifference to killing someone over a stupid game is unbelievable. You can do everything right as a parent, and free will being what it is, little Johnny can still turn out badly. However, most of these anti-social misfits aren’t born this way, they’re raised this way.

39. Mark McQueen says:

It’s a damn SHAME the mis-identified shooter’s name was SMEARED all over the internet…including here.

40. Anonymous says:

Maryland (eager to keep law-abiding sane people from owning guns) let this dude, hospiralized for psychiatric problems, legally buy his gat. Methinks to show how all guns should be banned?