Sunday July 15th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

184 Responses to Sunday July 15th – Open Thread

1. youme says:

I watched a movie tonight for, I think, the 3rd time. It has a Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 44% but it happens to be a favorite of mine. It’s “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” (2010). The thing is I can relate and maybe just 1% of the audience can as well, which is the reason for the low score.

This was a sequel to the original “Wall Street” movie about the Gordon Gekko character. You know the one: “Greed is Good.”

This was a realistic story about the mores and ethics of some of the characters who are key players on Wall Street. It’s a story of psychopathy that I saw in many people on the Street, something very few of the investor public have been witness to. For that alone I would give the movie a 9 of 10.

2. Dora says:

This is scary stuff, but unfortunately I believe it.

3. Charlotte says:

When James Comey prosecuted a prosecutor and an FBI agent for the “crimes” of investigating, prosecuting and convicting Islamic terrorists who were planning various terrorist attacks against America.

James Comey Freed These Islamic Terrorists, Got Them Citizenship, Prosecuted Feds Who Pursued Them

4. amwick says:

Found this on twitter… funny/not funny!

5. smiley says:

meanwhile in ISRAEL….

things are heating up between Israel & Hamas across the Gaza Strip…

Three Wounded As 200 Projectiles Fired At Israel From Gaza Strip

July 14, 2018

More than 40 targets were struck across the Gaza Strip following incessant rocket fire and aerial incendiary devices (against Israel).

however…earlier in the day, the IAF carried out “the largest daytime operation against Hamas since Operation Protective Edge in 2014…”

much more about this, at the link.

6. NEWS FLASH: The Department of Justice has opened a diner and its serving staff – the FBI – are currently serving excrement sandwiches. Never Trumpers, Rinos and the GOPe are greedily and happily eating for free. The media is clearing the tables. The public is getting the scraps.

7. Ausonius says:

Allow me to reiterate something which has concerned me for about 20 years: the growth in SOCCER and the decline in baseball and the recent attacks on football.

“Google” the two words “Soccer + Socialism” and you will find some salient essays.

An excellent analysis:

An excerpt:
    “Since at least the 1970s, Americans have been told that soccer was the future, and it would soon dominate other sports. But the United States proved pretty resistant to soccer’s charms, to the chagrin of its boosters on the left. (And yes, it’s support has mainly come from the left; in 2002 conservative soccer fan Robert Zeigler plaintively asked in National Review, “What is it about soccer that makes it (in America) the nearly exclusive domain of liberal sports fans?”)

Commentators on the right have generally applauded the nation’s indifference and pointed the flaws of soccer itself as the cause.

Writing in the last World Cup year (2006) in the Weekly Standard, Frank Cannon and Richard Lessner said, “Despite the heroic efforts of soccer moms, suburban liberals, and World Cup hype, soccer will never catch on as a big time sport in America. No game in which actually scoring goals is of such little importance could possibly occupy the attention of average Americans. Our country has yet to succumb to the nihilism, existentialism, and anomie that have overtaken Europe.”

Soccer’s 0-0, 1-1 or 1-0 outcomes don’t sit well with Americans, who like to think that work accomplishes something, the authors wrote. “Soccer is the perfect game for the post-modern world. It’s the quintessential expression of the nihilism that prevails in many cultures, which doubtlessly accounts for its wild popularity in Europe. Soccer is truly Seinfeldesque, a game about nothing, sport as sensation.”

Ann Coulter in 2014:

“I’ve held off on writing about soccer for a decade — or about the length of the average soccer game — so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation’s moral decay.

• Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls — all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they’re standing alone at the plate. But there’s also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.

In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child’s fragile self-esteem is bruised. There’s a reason perpetually alarmed women are called “soccer moms,” not “football moms….

Liberal moms like soccer because it’s a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys. No serious sport is co-ed, even at the kindergarten level.

• No other “sport” ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer. This was an actual marquee sign by the freeway in Long Beach, California, about a World Cup game last week: “2nd period, 11 minutes left, score: 0:0.” Two hours later, another World Cup game was on the same screen: “1st period, 8 minutes left, score: 0:0.” If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he’d still be alive, although bored.”

See: https://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

• nimrodman says:

great rants, thx for posting
      I LOLd, as the kids say

• John Denney says:

I remember hearing Rush Limbaugh calling it a third world sport.

I like your analysis of why. 🙂

When I repeat it, soccer fans howl that England, Germany, and France are not third world!

Yeah, but now I know that’s where they’re headed.

8. JCW says:

Our 50th state to visit…

9. Deplorable_Infidel says:

MOON-VENUS CONJUNCTION: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. The crescent Moon is passing by Venus, forming a tight conjunction in the sunset sky. Try to catch them before the sky fades to black.

A Venus-Moon conjunction framed by twilight blue is extra-beautiful. Sky maps: July 14, 15. Browse: Photo Gallery.

10. Lucille says:

Bill Clinton’s new novel features “Sons of Jihad” leader who is “not Muslim”
    July 14, 2018 by Robert Spencer

Bill Clinton and James Patterson almost certainly didn’t write this book; it was likely written by hired hands. But they are still responsible for its contents, which reflects Leftist wishful thinking. In the minds of the political and media elites, jihad terrorists are indeed not Muslim.

11. Dora says:

12. Lucille says:

Arabian Colt, the result of maniacs, IMO, who breed for a certain look. Horrible! Poor darling!

Has the Selective Breeding of Horses gone too far?

13. Lucille says:

A HELMET CAMERA FOR EQUESTRIANS!! How FUN is this?!
    Saturday, July 14th, 2018

14. Robert Commings says:

Folks, Thomas Wictor is great….please read his stuff

15. waltherppk says:

KGB honey trap trivia …meet Anna Chapman KGB ….espionage prisoner swapped back to Russia, where she is a national hero for her particular type of tradecraft …..hmmm… who’d a thunk it

16. Donna in Oregon says:

7 Real-Life Places in France That Inspired Celebrated Paintings

17. I would like to share a post from the #WalkAwayCampaign if I may. This is important to hear. “We the People” should take heed. A time will come when we are required to rise up. Voting will never, never be enough. Good heavens…where do I start? I’ve been reading posts for several days now, and wondered how I could explain my own “walk away.” Not easy, because there are so many facets and layers to this. I’ll be 68 at the end of this month, and it seems to me now, looking back, I’ve lived a history book.

Ok… I’ll give this a try… I registered democratic at 18. Mom and dad were Democrats, and so it goes in families. Mom loved politics and was a registrar of voters. We went to all the rally’s in the 50’s and 60’s. It was great fun with the signs, bullhorns, speeches, straw hats and big buttons to wear on your lapels, like “I like Ike,” and “All the way with JFK.”

Dad was a WWII veteran, and a patriot through and through. We kids were little yankee doodles, raised to love our flag and memorizing the pledge of allegiance at the age of 5 was a watershed moment in my life. So that’s one side of my life.

While this was happening, there was another dynamic going on. We were one of two Jewish families in our neighborhood. Daily, my siblings and myself were pelted with rocks on the way to school; followed by kids in the neighborhood, along with chants of “Christ killer.” It was a frightening time in my life. Who would have guessed that 30 years later I would graduate from Rabbinical school, and become Rabbi in our local Synagogue.

So I set out in my career, sabbath services, council, hospital visits, and teaching classes on all things Judaism…including the holocaust. Teaching Holocaust is a gruesome venture, but necessary. I too, learn the dynamics and layers, right along with my students.

Over time, I began to understand how seemingly normal, cultured, educated, and kind people can become sadistic killers. Over time, I began to understand the “process” by which the environment of “genocide” is made possible. Today… the “old Rabbi” is wiser now.

I will give you my wisdom now… a holocaust can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone, where “de-humanization” of one segment of a people is allowed to occur. It begins with a slow, steady, insidious, drip, drip, of rumor, gossip, hate speech. When that happens, over time, paranoia reigns supreme, and eventually you find that your own neighbors, people you love, have broken bread with, laughed together, cried together, will murder you in cold blood because you are not “human.” The process of de-humanization is complete… you are a rat, a bug, with no heart, no feelings, and others can deal with you any way they want, by any means necessary, and it all feels perfectly normal. In short… if you can explain this behavior… you can justify it. And if you can justify it… you can rationalize it. And if you can rationalize it, it becomes an “ideology,” and once it becomes an “ideology,” it then becomes normal.

My democratic world began to change during the Obama campaign. Jeremiah Wright said “God damn America”….he was Obamas pastor . Louis Farrakhan said “Jews were the cause of all evil in the world”…he was Obama’s friend. In my childhood I was taught that we are judged by the company we keep. I did not vote for him.

Then a new word was introduced into our lexicon… “liberalism.” Over time, some old words began to show their ugly heads again… “ socialism, elitism, left wing.” I began to hear our young say America was never great, and we were given a new name… “Deplorable, uneducated, clinging to God and guns, racist, and I saw our youth begin to say it too… and believe it.

I saw our young begin to “sue” their parents in court and report them to child authorities. Sometimes they even killed their parents because their parents had “rules” they had to follow. I saw our youth trust their socialist teachers and mistrust their parents.

I see our young are violent now and will attack at any given moment, anywhere… because of the new “star of David,” which is now a “red hat.” I see the “new gestapo,” on the rise, in the form of “ political correctness, spying, paranoia, watching everything you say… everything you do… getting you fired from your job, made to leave your neighborhood for fear of your own safety.

Now you are not welcome in restaurants, parks, movies, made to leave under the threat of violence… just like the Jews. I see Christianity is looked down on, made fun of, replaced by socialist “reason and logic,” believing this world needs no God to explain it. Now… animals are cared for… people are not. They are De-humanizing us… slowly, surely, drop by drop.

Many believe this can be solved at the polls… my friends… listen to your Rabbi… if this could be solved that way… we would not need to post here. We would not hear or see the injustice we see daily. We love our president… but the violence continues…more, harder, more violent, day by day.

No… this is our problem now. History is repeating itself. I know in America, we tend to believe it can’t happen here. It can… it is. De-humanization has begun. It’s here… and it has one goal… annihilation of morality, ethics, God, all that we hold dear.

I ask you please… don’t look the other way. I ask you please see the implications of what I have said here. I ask you please stand up loudly, protect each other, shout down hate speech whenever, wherever you hear it. I ask you please don’t make the same mistake my people made when they believed it would “pass,” it was just a phase… not to take it seriously… please.

I have walked away from the Democratic Party, but I cannot walk away from what they represent… I know too much to ignore them. That’s my story, and I see the fight to remain human, the fight to keep our dignity as human beings, the fight for human freedom continues. After all these years, all the suffering, all the years of fear, all my family members buried in unmarked graves, I feel old and tired. And here it is again… on our door step.

• Cisco says:

I cannot find the words except that your words reach my very soul.Even if I wasn’t a Jew, I would and do stand with Israel.
      🇮🇱🕍🇮🇱
      Never Again.
      Never!

18. Dora says:

No coverage of this here.

====

Knife-wielding Muslim on Paris metro STABBED multiple passengers, screaming, ‘I’m Muslim, I’ll kill all the Catholics’

There is no English coverage of this jihad attack. Knife-wielding Muslim on Paris metro screams, “I’m Muslim, I’ll kill all the Catholics.”

19. getfitnow says:

The worm is turning.

• Donna in Oregon says:

It’s starting to be cool now to ride with Trump….the Loons are going to wet themselves. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• Lucille says:

If you go to YouTube to watch this, you’ll see all kinds of great testimonies about individual “walkaways” and it’s a joy to know so many are waking up. Wow!

20. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

21. Lucille says:

Good night, y’all…

22. John Denney says:

Interesting read after reading “Confessions of an Economic Hit Man”

Also the WaPo article mentions inflation going up. Duh. The Fed deliberately inflates the dollar every year, the target inflation rate being 2%.

23. JX says:

In this video taken from the concert grounds during the Las Vegas shooting the Mandalay Bay is shown several times. I’ve done a rough estimate of the window location and believe the windows are visible in the video. The windows do not appear to be broken, unless the room lights were off making them not visible.