Sunday July 1st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

195 Responses to Sunday July 1st – Open Thread

1. Mercenary says:

I wrote a piece on how Portland is a fascist dictatorship and Ted Wheeler should be arrested on federal charges:

2. amwick says:

A tiny miracle..
    Last year a box turtle dug a hole in our driveway for a nest. She buried her precious eggs and we never saw her again… Weeks and weeks later the tiny turtles crawled out and went off into the world. (Yours truly helped two of them get out of our driveway without getting squished.)
    Today there is another box turtle digging a nest in the same place… Is it possible? How could she find the same place?..Why would she like that particular spot?
    🙂

• wondering999 says:

Cause she knows angels are at work there for baby turtles 🙂 and you are one
      I love turtles, Just my speed… Good work amwick!

• Plain Jane says:

Oh my, I love box tortoises. We had one as a pet when I was a kid. We had a number of terrapins also, including a really big paint my uncle hooked while fishing in MI. That paint had to be let go in a large pond because it ate too much raw hamburger and could take a finger off a little kid with one chomp.

By contrast, the box that we called “Big Boy” was nearly as large, but was so gentile we hand fed him lettuce, fruit, etc. We had no place to find him snails, and the books at that time said they were vegetarians.

Big Boy was a wild tortoise that someone who found him in the country gave to us because they knew we had terrapins. He twice dug under the 4/8 boards that were covered with chicken wire and made up his outdoor, summertime pen. The first time one of our neighbors who knew we had turtles, heard an old neighbor woman screaming and yelling. Big Boy startled her when she went to pick up the “rock” in her yard, and out came his head and feet as he “unboxed” himself. The neighbor stopped the old lady as she was about to club him with her shovel.

Another time he went missing for over a week. People on the other side of a highway near town found him trying to climb up a curb. After many inquiries, they learned about our turtles, and let us know they found a yellow and olive turtle. They didn’t know he was a tortoise, so they put him in a bucket of water. 🙂 We picked up our waterlogged pet that had a bit of his under shell worn away from traveling on pavement, and reinforced the outdoor pen.

His last excursion into the world may have ended on the foundation of a new school that was being built behind our home. Big Boy had the run of our house. He hybrinated (semi) behind our piano most of the winter months. One spring day out screen door was being repaired, and by that evening Big Boy was never seen by us again.

Lucky you. Wish there were pics. Thanks for conjuring up some old memories.

p.s. What state is your driveway in? 🙂

• amwick says:

We are in the tippy top of GA, near the border with NC.. mountains. The driveway is gravel and the nest is near a retaining wall, so it is not where we actually drive. I took some pics… just have to dig them out of the camera…. (tel lens, so as not to frighten her!)
        I just checked and she is gone…

• amwick says:

Isn’t she pretty?

• Plain Jane says:

Oh she’s gorgeous. I’m in Indiana and have never seen a tortoise in the wild. I totally enjoyed your post Amwick. Thanks.

• amwick says:

YW.. I am amazed we saw her this year. It seems that it took a long time for the eggs to hatch… but they did…

• Plain Jane says:

We once were given an egg from a tortoise that had been hit by a car and apparently split open. We followed a book’s instructions on how to incubate the egg, but obviously gave up when it started to rot. Sad but true.

My sister was a reptile geek, and I enjoyed all the reptile experiences of my childhood. I think our mother did also. One Christmas my sister so wanted a specific book on reptiles. My mom saved up the money for it, but it didn’t arrive at the bookstore in a distant town until Christmas Eve Day. My mom and I took a bus to pick it up. She devoured that book. I still remember what it looked like. Yes, of course it was green. 🙂 It was the size of the largest encyclopedia I’d ever seen.

Sorry, I can’t believe how much I went on and on about turtles. So glad you seem fond of them also.

• Plain Jane says:

p.s. I would have loved to see them hatch. Wow!

• amwick says:

I wonder how many hatches.. We actually found two on the driveway, so small they could fit on a quarter. I often wondered how such a tiny creature could take care of itself in the woods…

• amwick says:

Here.. a random pic, but accurate..

• Plain Jane says:

Amwick, that is an awesome pic. Thanks. I’ going to send this link to my sister.

Look at the size of the feet and head compared to the overall shell. God gave you a gift in being a “host” and privy to what happens “in secret.”

• Plain Jane says:

About snapping turtles: There are numerous small lakes and ponds within a half mile of our subdivision. Once while out walking we watched an enormous snapping turtle digging at the side of the road. Figuring she was digging to lay eggs, we went back every few days to check it out. Nothing materialized from that.

Another time my neighbor callid us. A rather large snapper was attempting to climb up her front door step. Umm, they aren’t very skilled. DH scooped it up into a bucket and dumped it into a large lake a few miles from us.

Yes snappers are scarry. Neighbor was working under his car in his garage. He took a break for a short time and was getting ready to go back under his car , looked under it first, and an enormous snapper was under it. Thank God he saw it before rolling under on the dolly. He said the snapper was so big that it didn’t fit into a box that held 4 gallon bottles of water.

We had a baby snapper as a pet for a short time when we were kids, but, unfortunately he met his demise accidently via someone’s shoe while we were giving him exercise time out of his terrarium.

3. Sepp says:

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
    “What Have We to do with Thee?”

Saint Theophylact, Archbishop of Ohrid and of Bulgaria, lived ten centuries ago and wrote an Explanation of the Holy Gospels, as well as the Epistles for Orthodox Christians.

His works have been translated into English. The Explanation for today’s Gospel according to Saint Matthew (8:28-9:1) is available at the link below.

4. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.