Dr. Charles Krauthammer Says Farewell…

The following letter conveys a sad message.  Dr. Charles Krauthammer is saying farewell:

“I have been uncharacteristically silent these past ten months. I had thought that silence would soon be coming to an end, but I’m afraid I must tell you now that fate has decided on a different course for me.”

“In August of last year, I underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my abdomen. That operation was thought to have been a success, but it caused a cascade of secondary complications which I have been fighting in hospital ever since. It was a long and hard fight with many setbacks, but I was steadily, if slowly, overcoming each obstacle along the way and gradually making my way back to health.”

“However, recent tests have revealed that the cancer has returned. There was no sign of it as recently as a month ago, which means it is aggressive and spreading rapidly. My doctors tell me their best estimate is that I have only a few weeks left to live. This is the final verdict. My fight is over.”

“I wish to thank my doctors and caregivers, whose efforts have been magnificent. My dear friends, who have given me a lifetime of memories and whose support has sustained me through these difficult months. And all of my partners at The Washington Post, Fox News, and Crown Publishing.”

“Lastly, I thank my colleagues, my readers, and my viewers, who have made my career possible and given consequence to my life’s work. I believe that the pursuit of truth and right ideas through honest debate and rigorous argument is a noble undertaking. I am grateful to have played a small role in the conversations that have helped guide this extraordinary nation’s destiny.”

“I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended.”

~ Charles Krauthammer

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

302 Responses to Dr. Charles Krauthammer Says Farewell…

1. Agnes Goh in NZ says:

Yesterday was the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and today is the commemoration of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I shall pray for Dr Krauthammer that he receive the grace to recognise his Messiah by the time he meets Him so that he can be united with Him forever in heaven.

• Mia C says:

He’s an agnostic Jew. I think respect for lack of faith and other religions is important when it comes to people’s deaths. Wishing Jesus on an agnostic Jew is not what they want in their end.

• amwick says:

I see it as an act of kindness. He will be in God’s loving hands. No matter what.

• ummm, no he actually has a one way ticket to hell if he does not repent, and remember repentance is a gift from our LORD.

• amwick says:

There is prayer, there is hope and there is mercy. I refuse to judge anyone.

• Galadriel says:

Some people seem to love condemning others to hell.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Some people are so prideful as to condemn themselves to Hell.

Eternity in Heaven with God requires a simple acknowledgement that we owe everything to God, and that each of us is fatally flawed by character, and that to live in Heaven, where there is no sin and everything is perfect, requires that each of us be redeemed form our sins, and that this redemption does NOT have to be earned through some elaborate or extensive process, but merely by each of us being humble, acknowledging who God is, and accepting the gift of Jesus’ redemption of our sinfulness.

I am sure Krauthammer was offered the best cures known, and he accepted. But, if he did not, and a doctor shrugged, after efforts to get him to accept the cure, and said, “I have done what I can, but he has autonomy over his life,” is the death a matter of the doctor condemning Krauthammer to death?

No. Krauthammer opted for death, despite the offer of life.

This is obvious, plain-and-simple Christian Theology; it is either ignorant or specifically inflammatory to throw out false statements to well-intentioned Christians here.

If you do not understand this theology, Sunday is coming – ask around and find a Bible-believing church, and talk to someone about our sinful nature and God’s redemption.

There may be some “Christians” who want to “judge” whether someone “should” go to Hell or not. But that is not part of our beliefs. First, we all believe that each of us deserves Hell. Second, we want to let anyone and everyone know that God offers redemption, and eternal life. This is all “we” are saying.

Please halt the “judgmental” stuff. It is played-out.

• dalethorn says:

But you know that we cannot do such a thing – condemn a person to Hell. What we CAN do is warn a person that they have a free choice to make, and how infinitely better it is to make the right choice.

• we300 says:

This is really not up to us, though is it? We can certainly pray for him and for his healing, but his faith is his own business and not for us to beat him over the head about. The man is dying, leaving loved ones, let him do so as he sees fit. God is big enough to embrace him regardless for a life well lived.

• jello333 says:

“God is big enough to embrace him regardless for a life well lived.”

Thanks for that. I have no idea whether there’s a God or not. And in the end, I don’t think it’s gonna make one bit of difference where my afterlife is concerned. If it turns out there IS something after we leave here, and the quality of that afterlife is decided by a “God”, then I’m happy to take my chances. I just refuse to believe that if there is a “just”, “all-knowing”, “all-powerful” God out there, that he would be so small, petty, spiteful to condemn someone to eternal punishment simply because that person didn’t sufficiently “believe in” or “worship” that God. So yes, I AM saying that if there’s ANY justice in the universe (say a “just and caring” God), then a person’s “afterlife” will be directly related to the type of person they were while here on earth. So will some “Christians” make it to the equivalent of heaven? You betcha. And will some “non-Christians” make it too? Yep. Will some from both categories wind up in a NOT so great place? For sure.

“But, but, but…. that’s not what the Bible says!” Nope, it doesn’t. Among other things, it pretty much says that even if you’re a good person while here, that’s not enough; and even if you’re a bad person, you’ll still be fine as long as you come to your senses before you die. Well you know what? I’d ask people how they know any of that’s true? Even if there is a God, how do they know that everything the Bible says is true? And their answer? “The Bible is true because the Bible says so.” Hmm… okay.

So anyway, yeah, I’m more than comfortable to live my life as best I can, be good to others, and helping as much as I can. Basically the Golden Rule. In the end, if there really IS a God, I think that’s gonna be good enough. But if there isn’t a God, then I’m also in good shape (at least I did some good while here). Now if it turns out God is self-centered and vengeful as some like to believe — willing to send someone to eternal torment simply because they didn’t “believe” or “worship” him enough — well then, yeah, I’m outta luck I guess.

• mj_inOC says:

Jello, you seem to be seeking… Bless you! Read the Gospel of John… there ARE the answers.
                Hugs and love.

• Southern Son says:

God expects us to have Faith in him.
                He Has created Us, and all the Beauty of Nature in This world.
                He gave us the Light.
                Satan gives only Darkness.
                I choose Light.
                You are a free agent in command of your soul.
                Our Souls, are what it’s all about.

• maiingankwe says:

Jello333,
                I agree with some of what you say. I’ve been raised that my Creator is all loving.

When I was young, I started around eight years old, I went and checked out all different kinds of churches to see which one would be the best fit for me. I have always felt that we do have a Creator and wanted to find the perfect place for me where I could celebrate life and our Creator. I went to Lutheran, Baptist, Morman, Presbyterian, Catholic and so many others. This took me years to do as well with breaks in between over sadness that I couldn’t find my niche. I spent a lot of years in the woods and fields and even thought I could come up with my very own. (I was twelve). My church had no doors, no walls, all would be free to enter. All races and all walks of life. We wouldn’t ever have just one person talking to the flock, we would all share what we had learned through our experiences. We would all be equal. We would have the utmost respect for nature and all around us.

As years progressed, I went back to my Anishinabee ways (Ojibway/Chippewa). I realized I wasn’t a savage as I had been told. Plus, I never feared my Creator because I knew he was all loving and forgiving. I’ve always loved my Creator and through the years I’ve found myself learning so much more and connecting more with him. I’ve also noticed myself to be more forgiving of those who had ridiculed me as a child for my beliefs and more open to Christianity. Believe it or not, I’ve always believed myself to be a Christian no matter what anyone says and what box they like to put me in.

I know I’ve been surrounded by Angels all of my life. They’ve done good in protecting me too. I’m also a big believer in my ancestors and their protection as well. I feel them and Angels around me all of the time.

I have witnessed many things that would be difficult to explain, but which I have seen with my own eyes, so I know without a doubt my Anishinabeg beliefs are real and true. No one will ever convince me otherwise. It has given me a great deal of respect for our Elders and Medicine Men.

So in explaining all of this, I remember one of the questions I would ask Church Elders and so forth. I would ask about all of the tribes all over the world throughout our time on earth and if they truly believe they would all burn in Hell just because they didn’t know of Jesus. I say of course not, to me, that is simply silly.

Last but not all, I have always believed that even though we may have different names for our Creator, he is the same. We just believe in him differently and have our own traditions and customs in doing so.

I don’t mind if people don’t agree with me, we are all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. I don’t knock them down for theirs and hope they will do the same.

I may not go to church on Sundays, but when I am home I go to Drum Services on Thursday’s. I like being in our Round House, I do feel closer to my Creator there. I feel blessed there too. I enjoy going to our Ceremonies and I like learning from my Elders while I am there and outside.

Jello333, when we have both passed over, I know I will see you in Heaven, of that I have no doubt. And thankfully, since I have been given my name, Ma’iingankwe, I will be able to sit with my ancestors. However, I will jump up when I hear your real name and come over to your part and introduce myself to you and welcome you and enjoy your company. If I am to pass after you, I will still do the same and find you to say hello.

I am sorry that Krauthammer has lost his valiant battle with cancer. I will pray for him and his family. I hope he will not suffer in pain and his family will be given the strength from our Creator to carry on and celebrate the man they knew and loved. May God Bless him and his family, and may the Angels surround him with most awesome amount of Love.
                Be well,
                Ma’iingankwe

• TrueNorthSeeker says:

Ma’iingankwe….Thank you for that beautiful post. You brought a tear to my eye with your thoughtful and loving comments. Blessings to you always…you are a very kind person.

• jello333 says:

Oh man, thanks for that, Ma’iingankwe… beautiful. And while it might sound strange coming from me, I feel the same way about this: “I’m a big believer in Angels and prayer. I pray daily to my Creator and to our Angels who by the way are so cool and very helpful to me and all who ask.” There have been times in my life where it very much feels that “angels”, for want of a better word, are right there, listening and keeping an eye on things.

I can’t tell you how much it means to me what you said about meeting me when we both get to Heaven. Coming from anyone that would be a big deal, but from you it’s even better. I’ll admit that at first the only thing I knew about you was your name… it just kinda catches your attention, I’m sure you realize. 😉 So that, by itself, got me to paying some attention to your comments… and little by little I came to realize what a good person you are, till now you’re one of my favorites here. So your kind words mean a lot to me… thanks.

And the whole idea of meeting up when people get to Heaven has taken on a much more personal meaning to me recently. I haven’t said this publicly here yet, so this seems like a good time to do so. My mom died the first of this year, and even though we knew it was coming (she was 91), it was still really, really hard on us. Up till now, the only people here who knew about it was Sundance (and any of the ladies who might have read my email that night), who I told the day it happened. That’s how important that guy is to me and my family… that I wanted him to be among the first to know. But now it feels right that YOU be the first other person in the Treehouse for me to publicly tell. Hopefully it’ll be a long, long time before you or I get to Heaven, but if you get there before me, let Mom know we (my wife and I) will be along shortly. (We fully expect the two of us will go out together… whenever that may be.)

• dalethorn says:

“So I believe as you do, if we are good people and do our best to help others and ourselves then our Creator will not slam the doors to Heaven simply because we have not evoked Jesus’s name.”

I agree with most of what you said, and I feel your spirit and dedication to the Creator. But I must interject something important here, and that is that we have no inherent good in us, nor are we capable of being good on our own. Too many atheists and agnostics believe that they can be good in themselves, and evil evolves directly out of that. A man once addressed Jesus as “good master”, and Jesus rebuked him saying “Why do you call me good? There is none good but God in Heaven.” Jesus did not mean literally that he himself was not good – he was clarifying in his own divine and mysterious way that good does not exist in the flesh, it comes only from the spirit of God. Whatever name you use in whatever language to respectfully call upon God is probably OK with God, but we must be always aware how the Devil is constantly trying to trick us into believing that we can be good in and of ourselves.

• It is God who defines justice and love- not you. Your problem is your’e a flawed human with a sin nature that was in you from birth. Same for me. You are placing your very limited understanding of time, eternity, justice and the Divine Nature above God Himself- ergo making yourself God. A deeply flawed god.

• jello333 says:

And where did you get that info? If it’s from a book, then you already know what my answer to that is. On the other hand, if it’s just from what you feel inside you, that “something” has in some way communicated to you, then that’s fine… but just know that others (like me) may have had different internal experiences that are no less “real”. I’m sure eventually we’ll all learn who’s right and who’s wrong (if ANYONE is either)… but until then, we’re all just guessing. Well, at least I’ll admit that.

• dalethorn says:

In the end, you might wonder whether God will believe in you or not. Seek him and you will find the only truth there is in this universe.

• we300 says:

Well said. As a Catholic, I believe that God loves us no matter if we live Him. He looks into men’s hearts and factors in all things. Also as a Catholic, I understand the Bible is meant to be responsibly interpreted, which is why Catholicism is a religion based on more than Scripture.

Catholics also believe that final judgement is to be left for God alone, precisely because we cannot know all the things in a man’s heart when he dies.

I do believe there are many agnostics in Heaven, as well as a surprising number of other folk who may not have “qualified” to be there according to some. But that’s the beauty and the wonder of having (a) God, isn’t it?

He isn’t us and is full of lovely surprises.

• dalethorn says:

We cannot judge whether any specific person will go to Heaven or Hell or somewhere in between, but that judging is not our responsibility. Our responsibility is to tell people about God and God’s commands, and so for us to tell people that it doesn’t matter whether they believe in God or not, that it doesn’t matter whether they seek God or not – that not only invites the average person to not care and to live their lives for themselves selfishly, it also allows evil to thrive everywhere, because it says that everything is relative and there are no divine eternal standards set by God. All of evil down through history can be traced to certain lies: One, that there is no God, or two, that there may be but he isn’t concerned about what we do, or three, that we can claim that God is on our side in whatever actions we need to justify, and on and on it goes. The very rights we see in the Bill of Rights either are granted by God (inherent rights), or they’re granted by Man. If they’re granted by Man, then you have no rights, and any humanism you believe in can justify anything.

• jello333 says:

Really nice. (I was raised basically Pentecostal, but now realize I would have been better off trying Catholic if anything. 🙂 )

• we300 says:

Jello333: if you’re ever inclined to consider religion, you might pick up anything by Scott Hahn. He was a Protestant who converted to Catholicism and writes beautifully about the mysteries of the Sacraments and the Church.

• we300 says:

If free will is good enough for God, then it’s good enough for me.

• maiingankwe says:

jello333,
                You are ever so welcome. I am sorry it has taken more than a few days to respond, but I’ve been under the weather as well as having difficulties with my phone.

So in all honesty this is the first time I’ve read your heartfelt reply. I’ve been able to read the articles, but have been unable to read anyone who has commented to me. I think I have it fixed, we will see.

I know what it is like to lose your Mom, no matter her age. My Mom’s birthday was June 6th, so I sent her bundles of roses of different colors each time I thought of her. I know she received them. I think of her so often and it seems like it wasn’t as long as almost four years as when she crossed over. It doesn’t seem like yesterday, but it doesn’t feel like four years either. It’s so hard, so I understand a bit of what you are going through. I am sorry for your heavy heart, I really am. So I won’t give you the normal platitudes one usually hears, especially the one concerning her age. The pain is still the same, and for some reason that one on the age just ticks me off.

I hope to be walking on this Earth for a long time, but one never knows. If I do cross before you, I will make sure I pass on your beautiful message to your Mom from the both of you.

I’ve heard from others that if you write her a letter, take it outside to read to her, and then burn it, she will receive that letter. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I did that for my Mom and my Mother-In-Law too. It really helped me because I had a lot to say to both that I wanted them to hear or read. It got a lot off of my chest and made feel a great deal better for me inside.

I have more that I would like to reply from your post, but I’m going to have to wait till I feel a bit better. I’m sorry for that. I just wanted to let you know your comment touched my heart and made it smile and I thank you for it too. Bigly.
                Be well and talk with you soon.
                Ma’iingankwe

• Mariposa323 says:

Yes , but no one knows how God in His great Mercy can still reach a soul who is earnestly looking for Him in that “ in between “ place at the final mini -judgement before his soul leaves earthly bounds. Who will be able to withstand that glorious light and deny the Savior when they come face to face with Him ? Of course that is why it IS so important not to wait until the last minute , but to prepare our hearts well before this moment , when the battle for our soul will be great , but never underestimate the power of that Mercy and Love . Our prayers for Charles can still work an 11th hour Miracle !

• Sayit2016 says:

I do not know why I even clicked on this story…some of the comments are just ugly. Yours was kind and loving and I THANK you for that.

• MaineCoon says:

Amen.

• Does labeling make you feel better? Would someone be able to comfortably be label you as a compassionate and humble Christian?

Words matter and sometimes we all have to learn when it is best for us to restrain ourselves because those we hope to inspire to faith may be turned off.

I am not preaching to say nothing in the face of relentless attack, but when people see others who appear to be living Christian like and all we can do is point out that they are not labeled as Christian and therefore we have an obligation to point fingers…there is not likely to be a rush toward God.

You HAVE to know that this is as much for myself as for any other. 🙂

• dalethorn says:

We should remember Jesus’ example – he offered love and forgiveness to all, but he acknowledged that those with great possessions and pride would not likely follow him and his Father. The other half of that is to remember the Scribes and Pharisees, who Jesus had a very different feeling for. If we are loving and forgiving in Truth, and not hypocrites like the Pharisees, we should be on the right path. One of the great things about Jesus was he said “I am the Truth”, which means he was the very personification of the truth. As I read the Gospels, I see again and again where Jesus cut through the lies and deceptions and excuses and feigned ignorances and spoke right to the heart. We cannot do that like he did it, but we definitely should remember what he did, so we can pray that we are speaking to the heart of things and not making excuses.

• Galadriel says:

That’s a pretty harsh god you worship there.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Galadriel – it is us that are harsh to turn our backs on such a grace-filled deal – turn our backs to the one who gave us life, and all of the goodness in that life – including free will, the ability to shrug and decline peace forever in eternal life with our heavenly Father.

• Galadriel says:

I read the Bible every day. The Jesus I see in the Bible seems a lot more compassionate than many Christians, who love to talk about grace but are equally excited to talk about how god condemns otherwise decent people to eternal torment. For a religion that eschews works you all seem strangely Pharisaical towards those who don’t do the grace thing exactly how you think they should. And your condescending attitude doesn’t seem very much like Jesus either.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Jesus is who HE is, not whom we wish HIM to be.

Or would you have GOD send HIS only-begotten SON to die for NOTHING?

Jesus died for US, but we must acknowledge that and repent. Otherwise HE was born, lived, and died FOR US in vain.

Don’t just read the Bible. Get a good Bible study course (e.g. John MacArthur) and study it. Otherwise you might just be following “blind guides”…

Read Romans 6 and reflect upon that.

• dalethorn says:

Jesus didn’t condemn the ordinary person. You see in the scriptures that he condemned only the Scribes and Pharisees, who knew very well what they were doing, and who accused him of employing demons to cast out other demons. We may be the worst of sinners, some of us, but we should not be Pharisees. We do not know whether a specific person is going to go to Hell, but we know the way to Life, and our obligation is to help others choose that way. Billy Graham was on Larry King one day, and was challenged as to whether persons who die without calling on the name of Jesus would go to Hell. Besides the obvious language differences in the name of Jesus, Yeshua, Messiah and so on, the key point that Billy Graham made was that we don’t know whether Bob or Susan or Charles Krauthammer will actually go to Heaven or Hell, since anything can happen at the last moment. But we do know the Way, and we must encourage everyone to choose that Way. So if a sinner says “Jesus, please forgive my sins”, or “God, please forgive my sins in the name of your Son”, or even “God in Heaven, please forgive my sins” — it isn’t going to matter. God will hear your prayer and take care of the rest. All we need do is tell people the story of the Gospel, and remind them that their salvation isn’t about nitpicking theology, it’s about humbling ourselves and accepting his forgiveness through his Son. If I were talking to Charles Krauthammer, I would tell him to give up on the old religion that offers no hope, and seek a personal relationship with God that was made possible though his Son according to the Gospels.

• MaineCoon says:

Galadriel, You disagree and attack CR’s Gospel message of salvation. I will add the verses and hopefully give you some understanding of your false doctrine, based on god’s Word – not my opinion.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.” John 3:16-17

Christ repeats this instruction in: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Jn 14:6

Please quote any Scripture in God’s Word that states there is any other way to heaven and eternal life.

Galadriel – There isn’t any, but since you state you read the Bible, if your understanding of any other verse(s) in the entire Holy Bible giving you that understanding, please quote it and I will discuss it with you.

From your post, I believe you might have the gift of compassion. People with this gift often only read the Bible from that perspective and miss entirely the other attributes of God, which is why they are unable to comprehend that there is a heaven and a hell and God only gives one path to heaven.

So why is there only one way to heaven? That’s the question you and many Christians do not grasp due to lack of understanding of God’s ENTIRE Word – from Genesis to Revelation.

‘For it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”’ 1 Pet 1:16 & Lev 11:44

When Adam and Eve sinned against God, they were separated and removed from the Garden. A holy God hates sin. God gives man the path to reconciliation with Him through His son, Jesus Christ.

You need to understand God’s attribute of being holy, to understand why it is the one who believes in Christ, who has their sins washed and we become righteous in His eyes.

“This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.” Rom 3:22

This is why Christ preached what is commonly called the Seven Woes to the Pharisees” (Mt 23). The Jewish pharisees preached and followed their traditions of their Holy Scriptures (our Old Testament), But Christ repeatedly called them hypocrites who were like “whitewashed tombs: – clean on the outside, but not the inside. If a Christian only pick and choose the Scripture they want to believe without the understanding of God’s Word in its entirety they too are like the Pharisees.

You say, “Christians, who love to talk about grace but are equally excited to talk about how god condemns otherwise decent people to eternal torment” is a very sad and incorrect statement. When you condemn the Christian, like CR, for quoting God’s Word, you are not only saying you don’t believe in God’s Word but lack any real understanding of His Word on the message of salvation.

Christ is the one only one, who reconciles us with God. There is no other way, says God.

“No one comes to the Father except through me (Christ). Jn 14:6

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” Jn 5:24

For lack of understanding God’s Word, many Christians make up their own Christianity, because they refuse to know and believe God’s Word. They believe part of it and reject God’s word that doesn’t make them feel good.

You accuse CR of having a “condescending attitude” when he is absolutely stating God’s Word. It is you who do not know God’s Word. This is not only extremely sad for you, but God has much to say about false teachers of His Word as it leads many, many astray. You have just said CR is basically condemning “decent people” to hell if they don’t believe in God’s Word. CR is stating God’s Word, as I have just quoted. Please quote any Scripture which says decent people get to have eternal life, because they are ‘descent people’. Galadriel – there isn’t any. God does not contradict himself in his Word. That concept is false doctrine and anyone espousing it is a false teacher of His Word.

Read 2 Peter 2 in its entirety for what God says about false teachers of His Word.

“But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.: 2 Pet 2:2

We do not get to heaven to be with a holy God for all eternity if we are unholy in His sight. Repeatedly, God tell us that in His Word. An intensive study of Revelation will clearly explain heaven, in addition to Isaiah, which clearly explains hell. These are God’s Words, not mine.

In addition, the very last command God gives us in His word is Revelation 22:18-19. For me, God’s command scathingly condemns any person who changes His Word.

18 “I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.”

Galadriel – you do not understand God’s message of salvation through Christ as He tells us in His Word. CR is correctly stating God’s Word and I have added supporting Scripture. You are teaching false doctrine. I hope you will study the message of salvation and come to an understanding of God’s Word (not what I say or CR or anyone else). Do you believe in Christ? Or do you believe you will have eternal life with a holy God and with Christ sitting at His right side of honor in heaven just because you are a decent person? Who else have you convinced of this false doctrine who might never have eternal life because they don’t accept Christ as their savior?

• Which God is harsher? The one who steals, kills, and destroys? Perhaps the god of Humanism- a constant moving target of empty rooms and “gotchas”? Or this One: “Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends”
        I’ll choose The One True God every time. is Son said:
        “I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to the Father but by me”

You best figure out who you are gong to serve because serve you will!

• Galadriel, what is not expressed is that Christ is timeless and He is madly in love with us and at our last moment (which He can stretch out as long as He wants) He is there to meet us and offer us the choice at that moment if we want to follow Him in eternity or if we want to choose to renounce Him forever. I have had two friends who went terminal and they were atheist and agnostic, respectively, though raised unorthodox Jews. The kindness of their neighbors (who happened to be Catholic) and the knowledge that I was praying for them as were so many others, had an impact. By the end both had MORE than a little openness to Christ. Both were brilliant.

I of course cannot know (none of us know, unless we make it to HEaven and learn then or unless God allows a miraculous communication between our departed and ourselves (NOT a seance or a medium am I discussing) to confirm they have made it to Salvation) if they chose God but their lives were lived as if the Holy Spirit had taken roost inside of them despite their never realizing it…and so I have great hope that when Jesus approached them in their last moments and showed them their lives, the good and the bad, they both knew repentence AND gratitude and accepted Christ.

We forget that our last moments are so fleeting FOR US…but God’s time is infinite and Christ WANTS to spend time with every soul that has any possibility of accepting Him in those last moments.

Judgment for Catholicism makes perfect sense: 1) Our sins make us imperfect and sin and impurity will literally detonate a soul in the presence of God:
        Remember how Mary MAgdalene was not allowed to touch Christ before He had mysteriously become united with His FAther and then was able to be both fully human and fully God and able to be touched by hand in His wounds by doubting Thomas? If I try and explain it perfectly I’d be a saint and far more brilliant and understanding of God’s glory and power. I have a tiny brain as a creature and so we know this mystery but we don’t understand it fully…

…this is the essence of FAITH, supported by centuries of scholars both Christian and non-Christian, and ONGOING historical and scientific and miraculous events; and saints’ exemplary lives that all lend credibility, not the pitiful skepticism and anger of those so anti-Christian we see with sorrow in the past and today, who focus on the human fallibility and use that as their proof against the reality of God.

2) God is MADLY in love with us and wants every soul going right back to the eternal ranch in the sky and He pulls out all the stops to invade ANY tiny hole in our doubts, in our brains and in our hearts, to bring us Home. WE are given free will because some, even when faced with a loving Christ right there clearly inviting them home, are so full of hatred of God or, sadly, unforgiving hatred of themselves, that pride demands that they straight up reject Christ, already hopeless.

Hope is our birthright and the world has done its best to program that out of us because those who believe its just a fairytale, despite MONUMENTAL scholasticism on EVERY level (science, theology, miracles, history), have been led as Adam and Eve were, to believe that their tiiny brains and how they conceive reality, is sufficient for them to have figured out the BIGGEST QUESTION that human beings have their whole lives.

WHAT IS OUR PURPOSE?

For me, selfless love was probably one of the most significant doorways to being open to Christ. There is ZERO scientific or logical explanation for selfless love, but those who put aside their cynicism and their certainty that they understand this one dimensional, harsh and unrelenting god, are blown away when they start digging into writers like Augustine and Aquinas and John Henry Newman and then Mother Teresa and Saint Francis and Saint John Paul II …and THEN …Plato and Socrates.

History shows the Red Sea parting. History shows the massacre of the first born in Jesus’ time. History is showing the flood after Noah built His arc. The shroud of Turin and the bleeding hosts of Lanciano have been retested again, without the biased agenda of those first testing and twisting science. They are spellbinding in what they show.

Our Lady of Guadalupe’s image upon a simple fabric that was woven centuries ago that would usually disintegrate in years, let alone centuries….

These are all there to at least open a tiny door to WHO this God is and WHY we are here (to love Him. He WHO inexplicably wants to SERVE US and in the example show us that it is in forgetting ourselves and serving others that we find an inexplicable peace and bottomless joy that surpasses all understanding.

I went through my apathy and doubt period for decades, thanks to unknowingly being taught religious studies in the UC system, by an atheist.

It was the most unreasonably hilarious and terrifying event that brought me back, no guru and no svengali.

Me Jobless. Me with no money. Me with a cat irrefutably dying. Me desperate grabbing this dusty and completely foreign to me rosary and praying the heck out of it while sobbing and more than a little doubtful.

Cat gets better within a couple of days (and I had seen a near death with her before and knew what it looked like) and lives on for 3 1/2 years.

I suddenly cannot put down the rosary and every day pray it, not even sure what I’m looking for but suddenly STARVING to watch and read and hear everything and finding my whole perspective NOTICEABLY change

(my poor friends and family had to bear with the INITIAL re-entry when reverts are obnoxious in ‘sharing’. The church laughs that it’s a mercy to just sit back and learn and talk with those clearly Godly clergy and spiritual advisors until the tendency to blurt out the evangelism no matter what the topic diminishes. . .St. Francis may or may not have said that preaching can be done without any words, but there is no doubt that when you see a ton of Christians who normally you don’t say ‘boo’ to suddenly showing up to help a disaster anywhere in the world there is at least a moment when you have to wonder…)

Okay, stopping with two because this tore out of me (I actually have been advised to accept that sometimes I really do get to be a channel because often I write things that I hadn’t actually fully formed in my brain previously…) and I have no idea if I even went over the limits.

• I do have to explain the rest of number one. With lots of biblical and scholastic references that doubters conveniently never consider, the idea of purgatory, to cleanse a soul that is still stained by sin so that in the presence of perfect love and goodness it can stand and survive, is logical.
          And as I mentioned we have more than a few instances of God allowing souls in Purgatory to reach those they love on earth and ask for prayers to hasten their purification in Purgatory (from all accounts it too is a fiery place but the pain is not the burning it’s the vision of Heaven and God awaiting, but not accessible yet).

This is different from the rich man who asked Lazarus from Hell to bring him water and to save his family from damnation (allegorical or real it matters not. Jesus used parables to express to those who could not grasp the reality in all its complexity or with hearts very hard) . He was told that he’d been given every opportunity to see where gratitude and humility would save him but he chose to ignore those and wallow in pursuit of his own pleasure and power. Likewise his family, given divine yet gentle (because we have free will) opportunities, would have to open their hearts to Love and humility and remorse or go the same way.

We learn from Christ and from so many other ways that it is a CHOICE. An AWESOME choice, because that ‘harsh’ God, who is a JUST God (a word that we resist with all our power these days as we strike for ‘fairness’ that really means equality in a world where this is simply not a reality. A world where EFFORT has to be made AND acceptance of adversity in order to grow through lessons that humble and make us grateful; and make us throw off this cynicism that ignores endless evidence of God in favor of our absolutely TINY brain knowledge of reality. If we stop making ourselves and our pleasure and our influence a god then we realize that agape, the love that allows one to lay down one’s life for another without regret, is the answer that God has given to us to our question.

We ARE His most magnificent creatures and focusing on those who clearly worship themselves and evil as the example of Christianity is a fool’s game.

God let his BELOVED, PERFECT child die for us because justice has always demanded that sin be answered by sacrifice.
          Learn of why Christ had to die and learn of what WE have because of that – versus what we deserve with our ongoing offense against God (a pure love is whiter than the most radiant white (and blast anyone who triggers this about melanin) and the tiniest white lie is a splotch of blood red against it. Try to imagine the enormity of splotches of each of our lives and how impossible it would be to sacrifice sufficiently. God sacrificed His won beloved Son who throughout His passion had nothing but love and forgiveness and HOPE that we’d accept His sacrifice and thank Him for it by pursuing a life that makes every effort to renounce sin…and confesses with remorse to God when we fail, asking for forgiveness…that our ‘harsh’ God will ALWAYS give.

I know. HUGE amount I threw here and I suspect that if it makes a dent in anybody it’s just as likely to trigger a dozen others attacking my imperfect explanation.

All I know is that without any guru or group to take me there I had my life changed and it’s never been the same and I cannot believe the ability I have to dig myself out of depression and fear and anger and pride all because of it.

And I sure as heck ain’t perfect, don’t expect to be. That is why I definitely keep on going back and asking for forgiveness with the desire (and thanks be to God often the grace) to do better.

• dalethorn says:

It’s interesting to see “debates”, if that’s what they are, on whether God is real or not, or whether God would make the most unbelievable sacrifice to save us. I see a lot of human beings whose minds have been so darkened by “science” and cynicism that their egos take over just like in the Garden of Eden, and they become blind to the fact that they were created, not merely evolved from mud and “organic matter”. The first thing a non-believer should do is look around and realize how tiny they are in the big picture, yet they are as important as everyone else. Humility is vital. The next thing for unbelievers is Forgiveness – not that we can forgive another’s sins – only God can do that, but we have to shed our grudges and resentments completely, and then we get closer to God, and we can better empathize with the plight of the blinded sinner. Confession is vital also, but the blind ego argues against it on some “technical” ground that it’s just religion. It’s not just religion, it’s real life. Confession – knowing that you need divine help, is real life, and everyone is better for it. Obedience is the final key (although I may have left something out), and again it’s not about exercising a religion with beads and rattles or whatever, it’s doing the right thing at all times, and knowing that the right thing isn’t just some arbitrary humanist declaration – it’s God’s direction from the beginning of time. When you get right to the core of the agnostic/atheist argument, it’s exactly what we see in the Garden of Eden – the Satanic worship of personal ego and the false promise that we can fulfill our dreams and ambitions through our own devices. When we see so many of these people who come to despair and even suicide because they finally realize they’ve been pursuing a false god, it’s really tragic. When a person humbles themself and confesses their sins, forgives others, and then seeks to always do the right thing (obedience to God’s perfect direction), they no longer have to be a slave to the lies of the Devil.

• kevin miele says:

fake days of the pagan catholics , THE HOLY DAYS OF GOD are the only days that matter , read up on them in Deuteronomy, Leviticus for Christians these are very important to learn and observe… catholics dont read the Bible because the christmas and easter worship is not there nor are the words ….

• Deb says:

This is an ignorant comment. You obviously do not understand Catholicism. The feast day of Christmas was chosen by the first Christians based on the Jewish tradition that held prophets and holy men would die on the date of their birth. We know the date of Jesus’ death, and so that means he was conceived on December 25. The feast of the incarnation is what Christmas celebrates, God becoming man, which happened in utero when Christ was conceived and not when he was born. We celebrate the birth of Jesus on this day as well, but that was a later addition to the feast. The nativity became popular as a celebration in the Middle Ages.

The ancient documents support this.

• Oh you Pharisee. How poorly your hubris and complacency sits upon you.

It is you who did not see Jesus, but counted His death as well worth it to protect other Jews.

The Temple was torn down and you are still living among those who were felled.

• hillbilly4 says:

Ok, let’s get this straight. ‘Catholics don’t read the Bible’ is a comment from the 1950s. Catholics very much DO read the Bible. I take umbrage with such patently false statements about Catholics not reading the Bible.

What I would venture is that the entire Protestant religion, all branches, claim ‘their Bible’ is the only true Bible, yet the ‘protestant’ Bible was founded on deceit and grave error. Its not an opinion, its a fact.

• hillbilly4 says:

‘No salvation beyond the grave’ – is clearly anti-Biblical,but more dismaying is that people who believe this have a very finite view of God …the Eternal, all powerful God. ‘No salvation beyond the grave’?? Sooooo, God is not big enough to solve this ‘problem’? Let’s slow down and think (and pray) over this. Read 1 Peter 3: 18 – 20, several times if need be.

2. MIKE says:

In the late 20th and early 21st century, Dr. Krauthammer was the only reason I would pick up the Washington Post on Friday. As the other columnists veered violently to the left, Charles’ editorial column on the far right of the editorial page remained the only voice of reason, and he is an excellent writer.
    Charles lives in a DC neighborhood called green valley, off of Mass. Ave. these now million dollar homes were built on the site of an old army fort and it was known that a plethora of old WW I munitions were hastily buried under the ground there. As time went on and Dr. K began to reveal more and more of his globalist loyalty we used to joke that it must be the mustard gas that is seeping into his basement that was causing his shift away from conservatism.
    He is also the reason Walter Mondale had any legitimacy at all in his bid for presidential election.
    Mondale was only in the hunt because of Dr. Charles Krauthammer, for what that is worth.
    Like him or not, he is a legacy here in Swampland.
    Thank you Charles for many a fine column and commentary.

• Pa Hermit says:

I always thought of him as a Blue Dog Democrat!

• Walter Thomas says:

“As the other columnists veered violently to the left, Charles’ editorial column on the far right of the editorial page remained the only voice of reason, and he is an excellent writer.”

Yep. Fine post.

3. EV22 says:

I miss him already. He was the only reason I tuned into Fox at 6pm.

Such a great wit and inspiration.

Godspeed, Mr. K.

• American Male says:

There’s always MSNBC that’s where Commiehammer belonged.

• That’s why they hate him at MSNBC right? Charles is a sometimes beltway never Trumper, but to his credit, there have been times when he has come to his defense. Not enough to suit my liking but I count ravages of cancer as a bit of a reason to extend him some tolerance.

The damn labeling based upon one comment or another is what keeps the libs powerful. They swarm in massive, unquestioning amounts, zombies unthinking and repeating the mantra.

Our dynamic brains are, sadly, sometimes a detriment as we have more than our share of clique and prideful tendencies too, only we do not unify as we should.

Our founders were not carbon copies of each other but a greater good really is accessible.

4. Ldave says:

Prayed for you and your family Dr. Krauthammer. May God bless you all and those who carry on your work.

5. Mia C says:

There’s been a slew of high profile death lately. When someone like Barbara Bush goes it’s a cause for celebration. She lived a long, healthy, successful life. But we’re seeing three tormented souls in a week. 2 suicides and a parapalegic fighting cancer. Life sure is hard and depressing. But it sounds like Charles has made peace with his situation. I’d have gone the suicide route if I became a parapalegic so I don’t understand his fortitude. He’s an inspiration in the end.

6. Kevin H. says:

If it were me I’d be doing this:

Apparently they take patients with a few months to live, they breed 90 billion immune cells outside the body then inject you with it.

As far as Krauthammer goes, as a compliment he was the least irritating nevertrumper of the bunch.

• Ellie says:

I didn’t click on the article, so if it referenced this I apologize. Having worked in clinical research for years it’s heartening to see Trump sign the Right to Life bill. The pharmaceutical I work for has granted people the right to try experimental drugs, that have gone through the first round of FDA approval, for people with no hope left. It doesn’t always work (often because by the time they are approved the disease has progressed too far) but it’s a step forward in the fight to give each life it’s best chance.

With all that said, Krauthammer is fighting much more than cancer. Given his situation of being a paraplegic for so many years I can imagine he has been worn down in spirit along with his body. He is at peace with his imminent death so I pray his last days are peaceful & pain free & he is able to relish his last days with family and friends.

• dalethorn says:

I’ve beat a metastatic cancer twice. Each time I was fortunate to discover the best treatment. Going to the doctor and hospital for their part of it is necessary of course, but we need to remind people that there are other components that are equally important, if not moreso. In my case with a potentially fatal diagnosis, I decided then and there that I would start afresh. I kept my job, but everything else I pushed aside and put my life into God’s hands. A friend of mine from the 1970’s told me that resentments are the biggest cause of cancer. I thought that was a bizarre thing to say then, but I eventually came to realize that our inner turmoils from life’s traumas have a huge effect on our body’s ability to fight cancer. So while I accepted the necessary treatments (surgery, radiation), I surrendered myself to God, I shed all resentments and grudges (so hard to do, and so incomplete), and I pledged that from there on I would remain true to God. But then I went my own way and years later got a different metastatic cancer, so I started over again. I’m doing better this time in obeying God, but until such time as I’m taken over by the Holy Spirit and no longer have those lapses, I struggle with the resentments, grudges, and other things that lead away from God. I don’t mean to be preachy at all, it’s just my experiences and belief that we never get really well until we’re aligned with God’s will.

• You need to post this somewhere separately. It truly is ‘words to live by’. So glad that you are ‘preaching’ cuz it’s the kind that needs to be heard. God bless you and boy! do I relate to the struggles that are relentless during this short time on earth.

🙂

Our hearts are restless until they rest in God…and AUGUSTINE sure as heck knew this so welll.

7. Dr. Krauthammer is a uniparty operative for the GOPe. A rabid anti-trumper and defender of the swamp ,who wished for the impeachment of our President.

He is an enemy combatant – hostile to the 60 million Americans that voted for President Trump.
    “Syndicated Charles Krauthammer argues in his Friday column that the Trump campaign committed “collusion” with the Russian government, even if that collusion was “bungled (Jul 13, 2017).

He wrote that President Trump was a charlatan, unfit to perform his presidential duties and likened him to a one year old toddler.

Anyone who dismisses my vote for President Trump; is by default, my enemy !

Who will experience Rigor Mortis first ?
    1. Dr. Krauthammer
    2. John McCain

NO conservative battered syndrome here.

• Tl Howard says:

I believe Charles when he has said he uses empirical evidence to govern his decisions. He became a conservative largely because he used the data collected over the decades to advise him on the failure of the Johnson policies.

I believe if he had been writing these last 18 months, you’d have read both harsh criticism and high praise for Trump.

In other words, Dr. K has never been a man to ignore reality. He would still not have approved of the Trump style, but he would have given Trump his due and knowing human nature as Dr. K does, he would have found not just the weaknesses in POTUS (yes, Donald IS a narcissist), but the strengths (yes, the Donald uses criticism of himself to spur achievement.)

• arete55 says:

As a comparison to George Will, CK was eminently more acceptable as he struggled to question the virtuousness of the MAGA (American First) Movement. He was always a “Gatekeeper” for the Establishment ( his bio reveals his political pedigree), but savvy enough to bend to reality in order to maintain a plausible position “above the fold” as a credible journalistic inquisitor…..Will, on the other hand, took his intellectual snobbishness to a new level of “Establishment” resentment, and melted down publicly.

I agree, CK would likely be a critical “follower” of POTUS and his “America First” accomplishments.

However, that following manner characterizes much of CK’s editorializing. A critic ultimately is a worrier of the propriety for any change anathema to his “established” orthodoxy.

I lost interest in his commentary when he would continue to question many of the obvious virtuous elements of the MAGA Movement…..and specifically denigrating Trump’s tactics for attacking the political enemies of the American People.

• cplogics says:

People have been sent packing from this site for far less than some of your disrespectful comments. Your post is disgusting. We all have a right to our political beliefs. Give the never trump mantra a rest for a while. Charles Krauthammer was a measured and thoughtful political commentator who would never have uttered the kind of short sighted and hateful comments you have made here. Take it elsewhere and show some compassion. The man has been bound to a wheelchair since his twenties. Give your politics a rest for at least 24 hours if you can muster the decency.

• Echo says:

Interesting.
        You aren’t claiming what Chicago wrote is inaccurate….just offensive to you.
        Charles never pretended he wasn’t a globalist or a Never Trumper or a status quo Republican it didn’t offend him, why would it offend you?

• cplogics says:

There are a lot of people who supported other candidates initially who for some reason cannot get absolution on this board and I personally think it’s absurd to continue down that path. There are many in public life who have come around to appreciate many of the achievements of our President over the past two years and that’s a good thing. I happen to believe that Charles Krauthammer was a gentleman, lived his life with grace and courage under difficult circumstances and I have the ultimate respect for that and frankly I could care less if he’s a globalist, or a status quo Republican.

• Echo says:

That’s fine.
            I’m not arguing his character, merely his politics.
            May his god go with him, whatever that might be.

• Alligator Gar says:

So, basically, your feelings are hurt. Check.

• cplogics says:

“So basically, your feelings are hurt. Check.”

Probably the most utterly ridiculous response I have read on this thread. Check!

• Echo says:

“The most utterly ridiculous response I have read”
                No, completely accurate.
                You have no response to the political critique of Charles, a critique which is unavoidable.
                Charles was a political being, his politics are as suspect, antiquated and even destructive to conservatism as his personal characteristics are admirable.
                You need to try and hold the two things in your mind together.

• cplogics says:

I don’t happen to agree with you that Charles’ politics is suspect and therein lies your problem. Were we talking about John McCain for instance, I could agree wholeheartedly but I am unwilling to put Charles in that category. We obviously are at a standoff on this so let’s just let it rest and let Mr. Krauthammer do the same.

• cplogics,
        You must have an affinity for abuse. You fail to acknowledge Krauthammer’s traitorous ways.

My post is factual, not disgusting.
        Krauthammer’s comments towards President Trump and Don Jr. were hateful.

He did not vote for President Trump .
        Therefore, he supported Hillary and her evil ways e.g., enhanced early term abortion (the premeditated murder of innocent babies).

“show some compassion .”

I have survivors guilt and compassion for my fellow Marines KIA and their families. I have compassion for disabled veterans. I have compassion for aborted babies . I have compassion for the silent majority whom Krauthammer and his ilk tried to silence.

I DO NOT have compassion for dishonorable traitors !

• cplogics says:

The word “traitor” gets throw out here quite frequently towards those with whom we disagree, not based on actual evidence – how sad we act like our political enemies. Indeed, there is evidence for many, but none whatsoever for Charles. There is no evidence that Krauthammer voted for Hillary unless you have the voting tally showing his vote. I have listened to Charles enough over the years and not once have I heard him endorse abortion and certainly not late term abortion. It’s a pity that for some, the issues are always black and white when it comes to determining who we believe is on our team. I stand by my original comment.

• dalethorn says:

We can debate black and white and shades of grey all we want, but we are in a war for the soul of this country, and that war is ugly and brutal. When I choose sides, it isn’t with the fantasy that “we” are right about everything – I simply chose to side with the leader who spoke for the principles of our Republic, and the final authority of God. Our very notion of “rights” is that they come from God, as stated in the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution is law, and provides the structure for the governance of our country, but the Declaration of Independence tells us how it all came about. Until Krauthammer acknowledges that we are in an eternal struggle against the evils of Internationalism and Relativism and other “humanist” philosophies, I won’t defend him.

• amwick says:

So, SD posted this thread and said it was sad. I certainly agree.

• Walter Thomas says:

Your comment is not about Krauthammer and not even about Trump but entirely about you.

• mj_inOC says:

Dear Chicago, remember the Apostle Paul… there is always Hope. Blessed Hope.

Prayers that Charles may read the Gospel of John, or Romans, with wisdom only from the Holy Spirit, leading to Salvation.

• aumechanic says:

Vulgarian strong.

• dalethorn says:

I fully agree that Krauthammer, given a choice between being a Pharisee and instead working for the people – he chose being a Pharisee. I would not want to call on Jesus in this context, since making that direct connection would be a flawed judgement. But there is a difference between fact and principle, and when it comes to principle, Krauthammer went against the best principles of our Republic and chose the enemy.

• No quality of life visible here either. You are living and dying by your politics and not your humanity. I am a conservative who came by it after having been extreme left. On both sides there are folks who dig in too deeply into their politics rather than having lives better examined for opportunity outside of focus on politics.

Holding revenge is of singular harm to you the person and you can read the cancer survivor in this thread who has had clinical confirmation of that, as have I when I worked among doctors, pharmacists and research scientists.

For your own sake, let it go.

8. luke says:

I always liked Charles used to piss me off during the 2016 election season. Another guy most of you know on twitter “drawandstrike” was a Nevertrumper too. He explained that he was worried Trump would shred the Constitution.

Honestly I wasn’t sure either, but Trump has been fantastic. Didnt care i knew the country was lost if HRC was elected. Our founders would be proud of the way DT has stood up for the rule of law.

9. chojun says:

What saddens me is that I’ve always felt that Krauthammer has always been a thoughtful intellectual. He didn’t support Trump in 2016.

I’m saddened that Krauthammer won’t get a chance to see the end result of Trump’s policy 8+ years from now. Krauthammer could’ve been very persuasive for the MAGA cause at that time.

Best wishes to him and his family.

10. TNGal says:

I think that he would have grown to see Trump’s positive attributes. I am sorry that we won’t be seeing that among so many other things. Much love.

11. The Devilbat says:

I wonder if I would be as brave as Charles Krauthammer if I were in his position.

• You would have no choice. I died for 7 minutes, and I can tell you it is nothing to fear. It is like the lights being turned out and falling asleep. Fear of death comes from attachment to the living. Life is glorious and wonderful, appreciate it now, cherish it.

12. Bob Schweitzer says:

I will honestly say i did not agree wirh you 100% but you were always honest and a tribute to an industry that is now corrupted. Thank you for your life’s work and being an inspiration to all who think life is against us on on a daily basis. Thank you for being you.

13. WSB says:

I just reread Charles’ letter… cannot understand what happened with his case?

Anyone?

• Grassleygirl/Breitbartista says:

Differential cancers. There are lg cell cancers which tend to grow slowly and are more difficult to destroy by radiation, surgery and chemotherapy.
      Small cell cancers are generally more susceptible to chemo and radiation but very often have spread via the lymph nodes to other areas of the body and they proliferate very quickly ,killing the host by both S.E.s of treatments and organ failure.

• Chgonana539 says:

Seems his paraplegic status would be a defining factor in the complication area. After any major surgery getting up moving around is a necessary part in rehab. Given that he is of advancing age too-seems like full recovery was more difficult to achieve.
        Dr.K is a brilliant man, even though he went sideways lately. Maybe it was his sickness that effected his thinking. I strongly admire the way he conducted his trials in life and believe God will welcome him with open arms. To me he has more than paid his price. God bless you and your loved ones Dr. K. Thank you for your wonderful writings through the years.

• WSB says:

Thank you for clarifying.

14. Walter Thomas says:

“I believe that the pursuit of truth and right ideas through honest debate and rigorous argument is a noble undertaking.”

That belief always came through when he was writing a print column. He was the best analyst in journalism. If you wanted to know what the issues were and how they interlocked, you went to Krauthammer. And each column was a sustained argument. He was a joy to read even when you had no interest in the topic. I wrote him on several occasions expressing my admiration and thanks for his work. He always responded at least with his thanks.

When he moved from print journalism to a round table venue on live television, his work suffered because the venue did not give him time enough for sustained analysis and argument. That being said, he was the best journalist working in that venue.

America has lost a genuine treasure in Charles Krauthammer. There is no one on the horizion who might replace him.

15. tolona says:

On the Five he bragged that he went to Canada and placed a bet with a bookie Against DJT… He Lost that bet….. He wasn’t that smart… Somewhere along the way he sold out to the Globalist Forces of Evil…..

16. kea says:

I am sorry to hear about this.

I too used to enjoy reading what he wrote until he became so anti Trump… and then when I read what Kathleen Parker wrote about “Columnist Charles Krauthammer, who is a board-certified psychiatrist, wouldn’t officially diagnose such a thing in print, but in a recent column he described Trump in terms that are recognizable to those familiar with the personality disorder.”

Well I can say I stopped reading both of them….

• nimrodman says:

Well, they’re both “intellectuals” and prone to self-dissection, being psychologists.

Intellectuals don’t “get” men of action.
      PresTrump is a man of action.

They don’t get it.
      Same way the European intellectuals and diplomats and globalists don’t “get” him.

We get him. The common man gets it.
      PresTrump is US – talks like us, thinks like us, acts like we’d like to act.

Only better and faster in most cases.

For more about “getting it”, watch Semi-Tough, the Burt Convy self-help guru / EST satire part.
      Poor Jill can’t get “it”.
      Burt Reynolds is a scream, note the “Brakeman’s Companion” caper he pulls.

17. MaineCoon says:

Thank you God for blessing us with a man as unique as Dr. Krauthammer. He was respected by so many whether one agreed or disagreed with his viewpoint, which is a standard lacking by most in his profession. I pray for his salvation through Christ for all eternity.

18. Annie says:

what a wonderful letter he wrote. it makes me cry..and then I cried again watching Shannon Breems’s tribute to him. She did a lovely job.and was crying at the end.

19. jello333 says:

I never knew precisely how he had been injured until I looked it up just now. My assumption had always been that he had done something “stupid” or really dangerous, daredevil type stuff or whatever. But no… just a simple little thing that millions of people do every day with no problem. And to hear about the specific book that he had with him at that moment too… just wow, kinda scary thinking about it all.

Anyway, to now consider what all this guy has been able to do with his life, even after the horrible hand he was dealt, super impressive. (And I also need to point out the obvious, what an incredible job his caretakers — whether they be family, or “professionals” — have done over the years. Without them I’m sure he wouldn’t have been able to accomplish nearly as much.)

20. Blade says:

I wasn’t going to post anything until I saw so much lionizing of Krauthammer’s “intellect” and “conservatism” which I find very distasteful. Sure, we all feel for his family and his own handicap and difficult physical life. But just like with John McCain, glossing over his life does not serve anything except to deceive ourselves. And since he is still alive as I write this it shouldn’t be considered too crass.

Krauthammer is one of the big three stooges of phony crony conservatism along with George Will and Bill Kristol. These three have spent decades redefining what a “conservative” or even an American is. They were vetted and accepted by Bill Buckley and later Rush Limbaugh who pushed their books and writings into the “rightwing” bloodstream and neutralized a key component of American politics in the process. They are as far from patriotic, Pro-American, nationalist or pro-Trump as you can possibly get and still sell books to the rightwing masses as they do so well. I don’t believe a single one of the three even voted for Reagan ( I kid you not ), let alone Trump of course.

The saddest part is that these three have inspired spawned further descendants in the shallow end of the gene pool to follow in their footsteps of ripping the heart and soul out of American patriotism. Folks such as Rich Lowry, Stephen Hayes, Jonah Goldberg and Ben Shapiro. At this rate we’ll never be rid of them. Conservative booksellers incorporated. I just can’t believe so many people continually fall for it and buy the things (get a fresh copy of the Federalist Papers instead! ).

So I feel sorrow for his family, I really do. And I don’t wish him ill at all. Knowing your date with God in advance is almost frightening, for him and his family. I will pray for him and them and button my lips from comment when that day comes. I hope he can find time in the little remaining to write a mea culpa, not just for completely mis-judging Trump due to his personal bias and prejudice, but his larger anti-nationalism and yes, elitist anti-Americanism. Having said all that, out of the three Kristol, Will and Krauthammer, Charles was the least offensive most of the time.

21. Beverly says:

Dr. K fought the good fight — for most of the years I was reading him. I actually met him at the 2004 Republican National Convention in NYC. He was in his high-tech wheelchair, motoring around an upper level of the arena, and he happened to be alone for a couple of minutes, watching a rock band during a break. I got my courage in both hands and approached him, and I said, “Dr. Krauthammer?” He looked up with a nice smile. “I want to thank you — from my heart — for speaking up for America and against the Muslim jihadis after 9-11,” I said, so emphatically that he actually blushed, and said thank you. Then, seizing my chance, I asked, “Why did you change from Democrat to Republican?” “Oh,” he said casually, “I grew up.” I pressed him: “No, seriously, what made you change?” Then he got serious: “It was the nuclear freeze movement during Reagan’s administration. I knew that was suicide.”

Then some other people came up to him, and the brief encounter was over. I used to be a big fan of his: most of what he wrote DID help us. So I was grieved to hear that he had lost it over Donald Trump, and I decided to tune him out. Although I did hear that he had started to thaw a bit over the past year, upon seeing our president do so many great things for America and, not for nothing, his beloved Israel. I hope so.

Ave atque vale, Charles.

22. cthulhu says:

I am appalled by some of the commenters….can they find no good to praise in a dying man?

• Echo says:

Surely, he was an erudite non marxist.
      That’s good enough praise for anyone.
      Alas, Charles is an exact example of the Trump hating Republican Congress and Senators and their philosophy who hope Mueller wins.

• Echo says:

And this is going to upset you….
      Charles actually pretends that the Russian rubbish has legs, he writes about it and would like to see the lies used to impeach and dismiss Trump. He liked Mueller’s fabrications….fabrications now coming undone before your eyes.
      The Truth burns …as usual.

• Mortimer Snerd says:

It reminds me of that line from Batman Begins – “I won’t kill you, but I don’t have to save you.” I won’t say anything bad about the man, but I don’t have to praise him.

• We are all dying. Facts are facts. I despise his politics but admire the strength and character that embodied his success at moving forward with his life after such a devastating injury. Whether he knows Jesus or not is his business, IMO.

23. I have always liked and admired Krauthammer… even when disagreeing.

What I really noticed is how classy he is being, until the end. A man of true courage and determination. A big man.

Compare Krauthammer to the other man who is dying, John McCain. McCain is a small man who keeps hating rather than going out gracefully.

24. Justice says:

All of you ‘Christians’ who are condemning him unless he accepts Jesus, have much to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You will one day be surprised to see everybody makes it back, no matter their religion or lack thereof.

I like and deeply respect Charles and wish him God speed.

• jello333 says:

Assuming there’s a God, and assuming he’s caring, just, all-knowing, all-powerful, this is how it may go when I leave this world:

“So, I understand you didn’t really believe I existed. You didn’t believe large portions of the Bible. You never asked for Jesus to forgive your sins. Right?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry, but I just couldn’t believe half the stuff I read and was told about you. I just couldn’t believe that if you were good and just, that you would actually condemn an otherwise decent person to suffering for all eternity simply because they didn’t worship you or believe parts of the Bible. Especially some parts that portray you as almost evil in some of the stuff they said you did and ordered done in your name. I felt that either half of that must be a lie about you, or if it was true then you weren’t the type of god I was gonna worship anyway.”

“So you thought that if I was as portrayed in, say, the first few books of the Old Testament, that I didn’t deserve your praise and worship?”

“Yeah, pretty much. I’m sorry, but it just didn’t make sense to me. I just couldn’t make myself believe in you, not if you were exactly as described in the Bible at least.”

“So what kind of life do you think you led?”

“Well, hopefully pretty decent for the most part. I did some bad things I feel bad about, but for the most part, and most of the time, I tried pretty hard to be good to other people. The one thing I really liked about religion was the idea of a Golden Rule. That’s how I tried to live… not always succeeding, of course.”

“And you did that even though you didn’t believe in me? You didn’t do it in hopes of an eternal reward when you died, or fear of eternal punishment?”

“Yeah, that’s right. I see now that I was wrong about doubting your existence, but it’s obviously too late for me to do anything about that now.”

“You know what? My favorite thing about humans is their free will. I just love watching how each person uses it. And so… good job… welcome home son. Now go look up all your old friends and family.”

• hillbilly4 says:

Sorry, but being a ‘pretty decent person’ is not what Faith is about. I suggest you read ‘Mere Christianity’ by CS Lewis.

• jello333 says:

Maybe you’re right. Maybe Lewis was right. Maybe I’m right. Maybe the people who wrote the Bible are right. Maybe none of us are right. Has “God” declared which one, if any of us, are right? If so, please point me to when this declaration occurred.

• dalethorn says:

Jesus drew a few lines that many people are uncomfortable with. And when the time comes he will judge those people on whether they crossed those lines or not. God is not a relativist, and his Son did not introduce Relativism along with Forgiveness.

25. Maquis says:

Godspeed, good man, Godspeed.

26. Joshua says:

Dear Charles,

Thank you so very much.

See you on the other side (pls save me a game of chess).

27. Pointman says:

Penning that goodbye letter reminds me of Hemingway’s phrase about showing grace under pressure. Thank you for the insights over the years Charles.

Pointman

28. Bob in Michigan says:

During dark days and hard times, Dr. Krauthammer, you have always been a voice of reason and truth. You are a man of intellect and thoughtful insight. The country is losing one of our guides but we will again share your wisdom when we meet on the other side. Thank you for everthing Dr. Krauthammer. We send you on your journey with love and prayers.

29. covfefe999 says:

I can’t even imagine dealing with something like this. Wow. I hope he’s able to find some peace so he can better enjoy his remaining time. 😦

Is it better to have a heads up or not?

30. ForGodandCountry says:

My very dear Dr. K,

Thank you, so very much, for being a true patriot and strong, steady voice of hard earned trust in America. My family and I came to rely on you and your good word, and you never disappointed in any way that called our trust in you into question.

We didn’t always agree with you, but of all people in the commentariat you would not have wanted us to do so and would have seen it as a troubling sign. Rather than speak of specifics, it seems best to highlight the most important things about you. You deeply love(d) America, consistently recognized and celebrated it’s (our) exceptionalism, cherished our Constitution and abhorred marxism, but never used your platform to divide people. Always a voice of erudite reason and dispassionate expression, you will be missed by millions, and deservedly so. My family and I have and will greatly miss your dry humor and measured commentary.

Godspeed, patriot! Be at peace knowing you lived an exceptionally well played life that helped many of us sleep on nights we might not have been able to otherwise. Thank you for your service, and your outstanding example of what an opinion journalist is meant to be.

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
    The Lord make His face shine upon you,
    And be gracious to you;
    The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
    And give you peace.”

• DanO64 says:

Nothing but respect for Dr. K.

This thread is a tough one. I almost feel guilty. I too had an appointment with my cancer(s) Doctors on Thursday. Last May I was diagnosed with a rare cancer in my face. Small tumors in my neck, previously biopsied with negative results, developed into Acinic cell carcinoma, a rare cancer. Acinic cell carcinoma is a major breast and cervical cancer in women. Less than two percent of cancers are this type in men. While undergoing further test, they also discovered stage four papillary cell carcinoma in my thyroid. Lucky me, two stage four cancers at the same time.

Anyhow, on Thursday one doctor told me he was surprised I was still here. But, as of now, I am cancer free. I have been left permanently paralyzed on the left side of my face and I still have more surgery to go. But I’m alive.

I went from being told I have a less than a 50% chance of making it (20 hour operation) to now being told “it’s all good.” It is never, ever “good” again. Even if Dr. K was told it was looking good for him too now, every cancer patience knows his next Doctor’s appointment could be his last.

I couldn’t get through his letter without feeling guilty. I guess it all plays out in the end.

• Deb says:

God bless you and heal you Dan, I pray that your cancer will not return and you will have many more years on earth with your loved ones.

St. Peregrine, pray for us!

31. this is a man that is truly at peace with himself
    A rare find

32. Lactantius says:

“His life was gentle; and the elements
    So mixed in him, that Nature might stand up
    And say to all the world, THIS WAS A MAN!” – Shakespeare

Dr. Krauthammer gave us his wit, his mind and his opinion. We are better for having met him.

As to whither his soul, I defer to Charles Peguy: “Everything begins in mystery and ends in politics.” The politics of the “true” God is never-ending and often turns nasty. Let Dr. Krauthammer’s soul make its journey without having to carry so much baggage added out of spiteful piety. Put another way, let he who without sin, load Krauthammer’s soul down with religion inspired indignation.

33. DMWT says:

Sad that this whole string of comments turned into a preachable moment.
    Dr. Charles, thank you for your contributions to society, politics, and to medicine in showing people who are handicapped what they can do. I know you have two son of whom you are proud and a wife. May they be at peace when the time comes for your passing. I always loved your dry sense of humor and many of us are so sad that you will no longer be with us. However, we will see you again. Many thanks and much love and adoration. Love, Cathy

34. Lee Ann Beaudoin says:

Dear Dr Krauthammer,
    You showed me intelligence, perseverance, dignity and grace. I couldn’t have asked for more.

God Bless you and keep you.

35. This is hard to hear. But I applaud his dignity in the face of such news. I was also diagnosed with (breast) cancer in August and have fought this year to live. My outcome appears to be different, God willing, and thankfully, but it hurts to see people lose this battle once you have fought it yourself. Even when you don’t know them personally. He was influential in my early conservative development, and I will always appreciate his wisdom and wit.

36. rorschach says:

I believe Krauthammer is a good man, but the lack of any reference to Christ in his farewell letter to the world is, indeed, a very sad thing. I pray that before his time comes, he does accept the ultimate gift so that we all will see him again.

So many people (professed Christians especially) miss the mark when it comes to how grace and salvation are bestowed upon us. It has nothing to do with repentance. It also has nothing to do with leading a good life. It has everything to do with accepting Jesus into your heart… and he does the rest. If any of you believe that anything you do or say makes any difference at all with respect to how He sees you, you’ve completely and arrogantly missed the mark. We will all be judged according to our knowledge of him. It’s not about reading your Bible, or attending church, or charity, or anything you can do in this life (not to say that these are not all good things). It’s all about Jesus, and your relationship with Him. Anything less or different is man centered, and of this world. Salvation is in the spirit, not the flesh… and we are spiritual beings in a temporal body. If you’ve received Him and you believe, there’s no end to the fruit your life will bear. I can only imagine the life Krauthammer could have lived had his life been Jesus centered (assuming it was not). But whether he was/is saved or not… he served God’s purpose. We all do. It’s why he made each of us the way we are. To believe anything else is foolish and arrogant.

37. Mike diamond says:

Charles the peace of Jesus Christ be with you ! We Pray the Lord will give you some more years,but we also know that as Christians weather we live or die we are the Lord’s !! We belong to him!!!

38. andyocoregon says:

One has to admire a man who becomes a quadriplegic as a young man in 1975 and continues on with his career to become a well respected journalist and news commentator. He was also a psychiatrist and a Pulitzer-Prize winning writer.
    He not only faced extreme adversity in life, he took it head on and prevailed.

39. Mike diamond says:

Charles i thought you already ask the Lord Jesus into your heart! If you have not do it now!!. Their is no hope in any other name!!!

40. William Monnie says:

There few good men and even fewer great minds! I weep for myself and for our Country over the loss of Charles Krauthammer!

41. brh82 says:

When Tribute to a really GREAT man becomes a debate forum on religion………

42. Ogre says:

I have many disagreements with the stands Mr. Krauthammer took through the years, particularly when he was being the spokesman for the Uniparty establishment Repubs. I have also seen him make some spot-on conservative accurate calls, too.

His position on Pres. Trump aside, I don’t wish the kind of cancer he has on anyone. Perhaps the best intent I could express would be for him to have his final days in peace. If he can find an experimental treatment that beats this, then God be praised! That failing to be the case, then I will mourn for the loss of his voice in the discussion. Prayers for his family during this time.