Monday May 28th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to Monday May 28th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

DAILY DEVOTIONAL, May 28, 2018

Past, Present, Future

“Would you also go away?” John 6:67

Many pretend believers have forsaken Christ and walked no more with Him; but what reason do you have to make a change? Has there been any reason for it in the past? Has the Lord Jesus not proved Himself all sufficient? He asks you this morning, “Have I been a wilderness to you?” When your soul has simply trusted Jesus, have you ever been defeated? Have you not until now found your Lord to be a compassionate and generous Friend to you? Has simple, child-like faith in Him not given you all the peace your spirit could desire? (1) Can you even dream of a better friend than He has been to you? Then do not change the old and tried for the new and false.

As for the present, can that compel you to leave Christ? When we are hard-pressed with this world, or with difficult trials within the church, we find it a most blessed thing to simply rest our head upon the shoulder of our Savior. This is the joy we have today, that we are saved in Him; and if this joy is satisfying, why would we think of changing? Who trades gold for dross? We will not renounce the sun until we find a better light, nor leave our Lord’s embrace until a truer lover shall appear. (2) And since this can never be, we will hold onto Him with an inseparable grasp and bind His Name as a seal upon our heart.

As for the future, can you suggest anything or anyone that can arise that will render it necessary for you to mutiny or desert the old flag to serve under another captain? Surely not. If our life be long, He doesn’t change. If all should abandon us, He is a Friend who sticks closer than a brother. If we are poor, what better than to have Christ who makes us rich? When we are sick, what more do we want than Jesus to comfort and to heal? When we die, is it not written that “neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come . . . will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”(3) And so we say with Peter, “Lord, to whom shall we go?”(4)

(1) Mark 10:14
    (2) Mark 10:16
    (3) Romans 8:38-39
    (4) John 6:68

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

2. citizen817 says:

3. Cathy M. says:

“Breathtaking heroism’: Immigrant from Mali climbs up side of building in Paris to rescue little boy”
    VIDEO

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

This morning on OAN I saw that he’s already received a certificate and a medal from Macron! And he’s been given French citizenship and offered a job with the fire department. Well deserved.

4. citizen817 says:

5. Deplorable_Infidel says:

God’s Eternal Purpose

Have you ever considered carefully the opening words of the Bible? “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” Why doesn’t it simply say that God created the Universe? Why the heaven and the earth?

As we go on reading we find the answer to this question, for the Bible clearly teaches that God has a two-fold purpose; one having to do with the earth and the other with heaven. The former is the subject of prophecy, while the latter is the subject of the “mystery”, or secret, revealed to and through St. Paul. (See Acts 3:21; and cf. Romans 16:25). The former concerns Israel and the nations; the latter “the Body of Christ”, the Church of the heavenly calling.

Some people are surprised to learn that there is not one promise in the whole Old Testament about going to heaven. There the whole outlook is earthly, with Messiah reigning as King (Jer.23:5; et al). When our Lord appeared in the flesh the angels cried: “Peace on earth” (Luke 2:14). He Himself said that “the meek” shall “inherit the earth” (Matt.5:5). He taught His disciples to pray: “Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven” (Matt.6:10).

Even at Pentecost Peter declared that after “the restitution of all things” God would send Jesus back to earth and the times of refreshing would “come from the presence of the Lord” (Acts 3:19-21).

Not until the raising up of Paul do we learn that now all believers in Christ are “baptized into one body” (ICor.12:13), and Colossians 1:5 and many other Pauline passages, speak of “the hope which is laid up for you IN HEAVEN”. Indeed, before God, believers are already given a position “in heavenly places” and are “blessed with all spiritual blessings IN [THE] HEAVENLIES in Christ” (Eph.1:3; 2:4-7).

The prophecies regarding the Kingdom, however, will still be fulfilled and Christ will reign on earth and bring the promised “times of refreshing”. Thank God, this world will not forever be a place of war and bloodshed, sickness and death, misery and woe. Indeed, at that time, heaven and earth will be opened to each other, and thus will be fulfilled God’s two-fold purpose: “That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ…” (Eph.1:10).

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

(From my friend that forwards these to me- I am still in Ohio)

Amen to this !! just got back from a wonderful time in Ohio at a Grace Bible conference.. wow what a great time of learning and fellowship !!

I Thank my God and Father and the Lord Jesus Christ for the wonders of his Grace & Love toward us in Christ revealed in his Word !!
    (J.H. ; Erie, PA regarding http://ohiograceministries.org/ )

6. Brenda Brillo says:

Just read an article with a Christopher Steele timeline. I don’t know if anyone else has seen it nor do I know how true it is. Thought others might be interested in it who may be able to verify if it has truth or not. Link to article is below.

7. usnveteran says:

No Hiding Places Down Here …

8. Garrison Hall says:

It occurred to me tonight how Our Lord’s love surrounds us. There have been some times in my life where I’ve felt the presence of His Grace. Sometimes it’s happened when I’ve been in trouble, sometimes when there was something that I needed to understand. An old friend once asked if I was the kind of Christian who talked to God. When I told him, yes, all the time I could tell he was a bit surprised. And then I realized that he doesn’t talk to God—perhaps has never talk to Him. I tried to explain how you just have to learn to listen but I don’t think he cared very much. I don’t think I’m very good at telling people how to listen to God.

• Mary Ann says:

I think it is something God teaches us through time, and trials.. You tried and that is what counts 🙂

• Minnie says:

I think you’re doing just fine, garrison, those willing to listen must first be open to hearing.

Thank you for spreading the love of God, it is enduring and unending.

In times of trial and in times of gratitude, He hears His children.

We, His children, must have ears to hear.

🙏❤️🙏

• olderwiser21 says:

Beautiful, Garrison – thank you. I don’t know how people make it thru this life without talking to God and listening back.

9. citizen817 says:

10. F.D.R. in Hell says:

11. citizen817 says:

12. citizen817 says:

13. Lucille says:

The Moderne style archtecture of NBC Studios at Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street, Hollywood, CA (not sure the year…1950, maybe)…

NBC again…camera facing north up Vine…on the left in the distance The Broadway which was the only department store in Hollywood. Couldn’t tell you how many items I bought there over the years. Even after the chain store went belly-up, that sign remained atop the building for years and may still be there.

This building is across Vine from The Broadway and may still stand, too, though the area has undergone renovation. Seems to me I had a doctor or dentist there in the early 60s.

Same intersection…caption says it’s World War II era…notice the stoplights…and the Brown Derby-Hollywood Restaurant sign down the street on the left. Remember the “I Love Lucy” Brown Derby episode with William Holden where her fake nose catches fire? LOL!

14. Mariposa323 says:

Respect , and thanks to Our brave Warriors of the ages .

15. smiley says:

little girl visits The Poppy Memorial at the National Mall…to honor our fallen soldiers.

16. smiley says:

a little history about Memorial Day and its origins…

🙂

17. citizen817 says:

Hundreds Of Thousands Rolled Thunder Through DC To Remember Our Beloved Fallen

• Lucille says:

Daniel the Chihuahua sits in his owner Kurt Gould’s motorcycle as Rolling Thunder riders converge annually in Washington, D.C. on Memorial Day…

• Dixie says:

Soooo Cute! Husky, my all time favorite dog. I’ve had three of them. I’d like to have a yard full of them now except they’d all have to be exercised regularly. Need a bigger yard so they can run. Might have to see what I can do about that. Looking for some direction so that might be God’s plan for me: Husky Rescue. Or maybe they’d be rescuing me.

18. smiley says:

🙂

Remember

19. dbethd says:

View this post on Instagram

My ♥️

A post shared by Ivanka Trump (@ivankatrump) on

20. nwtex says:

Horrid photos in the DM piece

21. dbethd says:

Robinson, 35, was arrested in the UK on Friday for suspicion of breaching the peace while livestreaming a report on the trial of a child grooming gang. He is now serving a prior 13 month suspended sentence for a similar offense.

In this dystopian nightmare, the father and husband was transported to jail to begin his sentence just hours after his arrest — without the ability to appeal the judge’s decision.

Supporters of Robinson immediately called for a protest to take place the following day and hundreds have answered the call.

22. smiley says:

a few from the past…

1866…the very first Memorial Day Parade for Danvers, MA, on Maple Street…

1913…Portsmouth, OH Memorial Day Parade…

1927…Memorial Day Parade, Los Angeles…playing the fife…

1947…213th Marching Band, Memorial Day Parade, Allentown, PA…

🙂 ❤

23. Dora says:

Childe Hassam – Allies Day, May 1917

24. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
    Ephesians 2:8 (KJV)

25. Dora says:

The Nation’s Sacrifice: The Origins and Evolution of Memorial Day

On May 28, 2018, our nation observes a federal holiday—Memorial Day—that was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on June 28, 1968, to take effect on January 1, 1971.

Yes, officially Memorial Day as a legal national holiday is only 50 years old. The tradition, however, is much, much older and one that has developed over the last 200+ years.

• Dave says:

Good post, Dora. I remember when I was a kid, all the older folks used to call it Decoration Day. And it always was on May 30th. How times have changed! Before there was a Presidents Day, we celebrated Lincoln’s and Washington’s birthdays on their actual days…and got both days off from school! Veterans Day was always on Nov 11th. Columbus Day was always a day off from school too. Do you see a trend here? Yep, kids ALWAYS wanted days off! In the winter, we prayed for school cancellations due to snow emergency. We’d listen to the radio each morning as the list of school districts cancelling classes were announced, and more times than not, our district didn’t cancel! What a let down that was! Some of the schools were in heavily Jewish neighborhoods, and those schools cancelled classes during Jewish holidays! The kids that weren’t Jewish loved these days too! But I digress. What I miss most of all, is that a far more larger percentage of the population back then, both young and old, seemed to appreciate the ultimate price our fallen heroes paid! I don’t see that percentage today, and that is sad. We need to educate our young better, and lead by example.

26. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels.

27. rudy1876 says:

Well, I guess Lindsey Graham is not expecting much action after the IG report. He’s talking about hearings this summer having testimony from people many of us are hoping would be on their way to trial by then.

28. Bob Thoms says:

It’s been almost two weeks since Melania came home from the hospital. She has not been seen in public since before her operation. I hope all is well. I miss seeing our First Lady and hearing about her work in making America a better place.

29. JX says:

UK muslims attack Christians, say they’re taking over

30. rudy1876 says:

Did the CIA weaponize the term {Conspiracy Theory} to stop citizens questioning “the truth.” http://www.jfklancer.com/CIA.html
    What events do you question, but won’t say to anyone? I have a few.

31. Konamon says:

Wish I had a plate of Crack Conch from the old Red Lion in Bimini and an Ice Cold St. Pauli Girl.

32. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Considering the threat China poses to America on several levels, I hope the WH can get out in front of the brouhaha brewing over a dozen trademarks approved by China…

33. gda says:

The shakedown by the left takes a final blow – Canadian Appeal Court Affirms Dismissal of Suit Against Chevron Subsidiary

34. Gmandet17 says:

Britain, hahaha Robinson bad, merckle good,, sheesh priorities?

35. kinthenorthwest says:

For the older people on here…I remember him because a doctor in the area I lved in saved his life.Walker had a skiing accident where the pole penetrated his heart.
    Sad to see so many of the 50s & 60s actors die.

• auscitizenmom says:

I don’t remember much about Cheyenne. I know I saw it, but I don’t remember much, so I must not have watched it regularly. I watched one last night. He had his shirt off through about 3/4 of the show……………..what a man. {sigh}

36. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

37. piper567 says:

not sure ab posting this here, many so rightly serious today, with an understandable American focus, yet I wished to pass on this news.
    Iranian protesters had confronted Mullah reps with the fact they push Death to America, and yet send their family members to USA for school and employment. Just one of many brave confrontations.
    The demonstrators are circulating a petition addressed to President Trump to deport these family members, all of whom are identified, back to Iran.
    Just a look see at how others view our President.
    @Raman_Ghavami, also
    @HeshmatAlavi
    news from inside Iran.
    Also, bin Salman has acted against Germany, for those interested in such things.