Monday May 21st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

151 Responses to Monday May 21st – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

DAILY DEVOTIONAL, May 21, 2018

Debt Free, Indebted To Thee

“So then, brothers, we are debtors.” Romans 8:12

As fallen creatures in a fallen world we are all sinners. Consequently we are all debtors to a holy God on whose earth we are living and whose standards for living we have broken and ignored. Born in unrighteousness, sinning all of our lives (1) we are debtors to His justice. We owe God a vast amount, yet are utterly without the ability to pay.

But of the Christian it can wondrously be said that he does not owe God’s justice anything! For Christ has paid his debt in full with His precious blood. For this reason the believer, purchased out of the world’s slave market of sin and death, and having been freed from it by his Savior, is in debt only to the love of God (2). I am debtor to God’s loving grace and forgiving mercy, but I am no debtor to His justice; for He will never demand of me a debt already paid.

Before He breathed His last on Calvary’s cross, our Lord Jesus said: “It is finished!” In Him the Law of Moses was fulfilled in its entirety, the debt was paid and all of our trespasses and sins could now be permanently forgiven on the basis of this one act of righteousness (3). To all who believe in Christ’s finished work on the cross, Jew or Gentile, His shed blood forever expunges the record of their sins from the heavenly ledger. Thus can Paul write: “There is therefore now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus”(4).

Believing one, Christ has completely satisfied for you the demands of divine justice. Our account is settled, the handwriting against us was nailed to the cross (5), and the guarantee of our inheritance is the possession of every believer (6). In Christ we are no longer debtors to God’s justice. But then it follows that since we are not debtors anymore in the legal sense, we become ten times more debtors to Him out of sheer gratitude. Christian, pause and consider for a moment:

What a debtor you are to God’s sovereignty. How much you owe to His infinite yet personal love; for He gave His own Son to die for you, nailed to that cruel cross as your substitute.

Consider how much you owe to His forgiving grace, that even after ten thousand offenses He loves you in His Son as much as He loves His Son.

Consider what you owe to His power: how He has rescued you from sin and death and raised you to newness of life in Christ; how He has preserved your spiritual deposit; how He has kept you from falling; and how, though a thousand enemies have surrounded your path, you have been able to hold on your way.

Consider what you owe to His immutability. Though you have changed a thousand times, He has not changed once (7).

You are as deep in debt as you can be to every attribute of God. To Him you owe yourself and all that you have. As a freely forgiven, grateful debtor, determine to live your remaining time as a living sacrifice to the Master Who bought you, for it is your reasonable service (8).

Forgiven debtor – ’tis true!
    Yet willing debtor still I be;
    To Jesus Christ, my Lord,
    Who died and rose for me.

(1) Romans 3:10-12, 23
    (2) Romans 13:8
    (3) Romans 5:18
    (4) Romans 8:1
    (5) Colossians 2:13-14
    (6) Ephesians 1:13-14
    (7) Hebrews 13:8
    (8) Romans 12:1

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

2. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Sober Christians

“Let us, who are of the day, be sober…” (I Thes. 5:8).

Many people entertain the erroneous idea that truly spiritual Christians must always be solemn and long-faced. In fact, they suppose that such Scripture passages as the above teach this.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, for the word “sober,” in our English New Testament does not mean solemn, but completely under control. This is also true of the original Greek word from which the English word “sober” is translated.

Sobriety in Scripture, as in modern English, is the opposite of drunkenness. This is brought out in the rest of the passage cited above. Along with its context, the above exhortation reads as follows:

“For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken be drunken in the night.

“But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and for an helmet the hope of salvation.

“For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

“Who died for us that… we should live together with Him” (I Thes. 5:7-10).

Thus those who are “of the day,” and know Christ as their Savior, should not “sleep” on the one hand, or “be drunken” on the other, but should be awake and alert, their faculties completely under control, so that they might witness the more effectively to the saving grace of Christ.

If ever there was a time when true Christians should “watch and be sober,” it is now.

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

1Thessalonians 5:7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
      8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
      9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
      10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

3. Garrison Hall says:

Fifty years . . . She stuck by me when she didn’t have to, stuck by me when she probably really didn’t want to, came to get me when it was messy, cold, and miserable, never expected more than I could give even when it wasn’t as much as she would have liked. Time and again we were tested, often by things completely unexpected and often deadly threatening. And through it all, we held our own. And through it all we came out whole. And now, when she lags behind I’ll wait for her. Of course I’ll wait for her. Can’t do it any other way.

4. nikkichico7 says:

For the pending B O O M S …..

Joshua 1:9 New King James Version (NKJV)
    9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
    Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV

John 10:27-30New King James Version (NKJV)
    27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

John 16:33New King James Version (NKJV)
    33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

1 John 4:4New King James Version (NKJV)
    4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

Romans 8:35-37 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    35 Who will separate us from the love of [a]Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 Just as it is written, “For Your sake we are being put to death all day long;
    We were considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
    37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

Job 19:25New King James Version (NKJV)
    25 For I know that my Redeemer lives,
    And He shall stand at last on the earth;

Ephesians 2:8-9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and [a]that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Ephesians 6:10-18 New King James Version (NKJV)
    The Whole Armor of God
    10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the [a]wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [b]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

1 Corinthians 13:4-13 New King James Version (NKJV)
    4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not [a]puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, [b]thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is [c]perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
    11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
    13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

God bless you Sundance, Menagerie, Ad rem, Stella …. God bless each and every treepers ….

(I don’t usually post this early but felt led to do so … big things happening … pray without ceasing)

🌹

5. Agnes Goh in NZ says:

I’ve just finished reading “Let Trump Be Trump: The Inside Story of His Rise to the Presidency” by Corey Lewandowski and David Bossie, and “God and Donald Trump” by Stephen Strang.

The first book gives behind-the-scene details during the campaign, and gives an insight into the characters of various people involved; VSGPDT features throughout, of course, and there’s also an interesting bit about Manafort and his short tenure as campaign manager.

The second book tells of how Christian voters came to finally vote for Trump, and God’s hand in the whole process.

They’re both quick easy reads, and thanks to CTH many of the names in the book are familiar to me.

• Bud Klatsch says:

I am a member of two churches in the Northeast and overwhelmingly the congregants are anti-Trump. When i defend Trump, they look at me in disbelief and against God’s word. I have argued many times that it is my opinion ( and only opinion as I have never seen any evidence) that far more church attending Christians voted for Trump over Clinton.

• I occasionally listen to AFR and sometimes they seem like controlled opposition. The delicate sensibilities of some of the hosts is the kind of smug self righteousness that makes one want to slap people upside the head. The only thing that persuaded them for PT was their fear and loathing of HRC.

6. Troublemaker10 says:

That’s one smart kid. Congrats to Kyle Kushav.

7. Lucille says:

WHY GERALD R. FORD COSTS MORE THAN $13 BILLION?
    Defense Updates

8. Donna in Oregon says:

Irish Poetry 🙂

From The Depths Of Night

No one knew the name of this day;
    Born quietly from deepest night,
    It hid its face in light,
    Demanded nothing for itself,
    Opened out to offer each of us
    A field of brightness that traveled ahead,
    Providing in time, ground to hold our footsteps
    And the light of thought to show the way.

The mind of the day draws no attention;
    It dwells within the silence with elegance
    To create a space for all our words,
    Drawing us to listen inward and outward.

We seldom notice how each day is a holy place
    Where the eucharist of the ordinary happens,
    Transforming our broken fragments
    Into an eternal continuity that keeps us.

Somewhere in us a dignity presides
    That is more gracious than the smallness
    That fuels us with fear and force,
    A dignity that trusts the form a day takes.

So at the end of this day, we give thanks
    For being betrothed to the unknown
    And for the secret work
    Through which the mind of the day
    And wisdom of the soul become one.

John O’Donohue

9. Lucille says:

Modernizing the Marine Rifle Squad
    Marines

10. Troublemaker10 says:

Dana Loesch and David Hogg both agree….

Report on it, of course, but don’t saturate coverage 24/7…..and do not use killer’s name.

11. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Angels of Assisi Rescue Animals From South Korea

ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) — Six dogs are on their way to finding a forever home after being rescued from South Korea.

Officials from the Angels of Assisi met the animals at the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport on Friday.

The animals were previously being held at a South Korean meat farm, only to inevitably be used as food.

The dogs were flown in from Canada by Wings of Rescue after being rescued by Humane Society International, according to the Angels of Assisi.

I thank God for people like this who would rescue dogs from this horror.

• czarowniczy says:

The use of dogs as food is something of an embarrassment to Koreans who deal with Americans, they are acutely aware of our attachment to them.
      You’re frequently told that only some people waaaaay out in the country eat them, old people with old ways eat them, or they’re only used by old and superstitious people as medicine. Fact is there are still eateries in Seoul that serve them, you just gotta know where and how to ask. Last time I was there I was put up in a hotel on the outskirts of Seoul and when the manager who showefd me to my room noticed one of my windows overlooked a series of cages behind a gas station filled with dogs he was so embarrassed he had porters come up and move me to a better room with a better view.
      Koreans aren’t the only ones with dog on the menu. You might remember a few years back when the Chinese government proudly released a promotional film showing their research into profitably producing dog meat for general consumption. It highlighted how their research found that St Bernards produced the most profitable and tasty meat per pound of feed input. Once they noticed the shocked expressions from the European and US viewers they figured they’d made an error.
      It’s a cultural thing and it reminds me of when we lived in Europe in the early 60s and, without knowing until after I’d eaten it, I’d eaten horse at a restaurant. Horse was almost as common as beef, it was a highly accepted meat there…to us it was Black Beauty, Trigger, Seabiscuit…..

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

They STILL eat a lot of horse in Europe, especially France. The British, NO. I remember a big stink in Britain over 20 years ago when a frozen food companie’s hamburger patties were DNA tested and came out horse meat. The British public went ballistic!

• Bob says:

Maybe they can assist the troops that are having a problem with the airlines not wanting to take service dogs back to the USA?

12. ForGodandCountry says:

13. Dora says:

Letitia Marion Hamilton – ‘County Limerick Hunt’ (1937)

14. Mr. T. says:

Some more interesting news popping up early this morning over on The Hill. http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/388549-stopping-robert-mueller-to-protect-us-all

• BigMamaTEA says:

Bwahahahaha! Mark Penn is the Pollster of Choice for the Clintons starting with Slick Willy all through to 2016 with the Hilldabeast. And even HE sees it!

15. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?”
    Luke 12:24 (KJV)

16. Dora says:

Looks weird.

17. Dora says:

I wish everyone could visit the WH at least once.

18. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

19. If Trump is not here because of divine intervention I’ll eat my hat.

The Psalms

A Prayer for Protection from Hidden Enemies

A Psalm of David.

1 Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer:preserve my life from fear of the enemy.

2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked;from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity:

3 who whet their tongue like a sword,and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:

4 that they may shoot in secret at the perfect:suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.

5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter:they commune of laying snares privily;
    they say, Who shall see them?

6 They search out iniquities;they accomplish a diligent search:
    both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep.

7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow;suddenly shall they be wounded.

8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves:all that see them shall flee away.

9 And all men shall fear,and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing.

10 The righteous shall be glad in the LORD,and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory.

20. Anyone else notice FBN bigging up a recession for 2020? They just can’t help themselves!

21. smiley says:

Movie fans ! 😀

CLINT EASTWOOD ❤ and BRADLEY COOPER ❤ pairing up again in new movie, Mule.

Eastwood (Director) = the drug runner role

Cooper = DEA agent

no release date set yet.

🙂

22. ForGodandCountry says:

23. Lucille says:

This Is Merkava: The Super Tank Of Israel
    Published on Jun 28, 2017

The Merkava is a main battle tank used by the Israel Defense Forces. The tank began development in 1973 and entered official service in 1978. Four main variants of the tank have been deployed. Contemporary Merkava: The Mk. IV

24. Kenji says:

Happy Monday morning fellow Treeper-creepers …

Is there a better example of the synergy and fusion of the old Brit-blues of Fleetwood Mac with Lindsay Buckingham’s pop sensibilities. Mick’s African-inspired drumming, and MacVie’s thumping bassline are a Driving backbeat for Buckingham’s vocals and guitar alternating from rhythm to lead. A musical marriage made in heaven … and destroyed in a hellish clash of egos and jilted love.

25. 4beagles says:

Spent a couple hours walking in the woods this morning and spotted a white squirrel. I’d never seen one before and did some internet research after returning home for lunch. The squirrel I watched was a “White Morph” with black eyes.

26. Lucille says:

What can be said about Soros that hasn’t already been said…evil at his core and loving every minute of it….

San Diego District Attorney targeted by George Soros!
    Tipping Point With Liz Wheeler on OAN

27. BigMamaTEA says:

2018 Campaign Meme right here:

28. BigMamaTEA says:

On sentae tee-vee, Schmuckles sure is putting up a fuss about President Trump’s tweets yesterday! Wow! Schmuckles thinks Trump shouldn’t want nor order the DOJ to investigate the fraudulent investigation we’ve been dealing with. Thou do protest too much!

29. Lucille says:

7 Surprising Uses of Lemon You Probably Never Knew Of

30. stella says:

31. BigMamaTEA says:

The Senate just ajounred at 6:22pmEST. until tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.

Two votes today. A Cloture vote on the nomination of Dana Bianicco for Chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Agreed to Y – 49 – N – 45. The vote on his/her nomination will be noon EST tomorrow, as per TurtleHead. TurtleHead also said there will be a vote on a Veterans Healthcare bill tomorrow(not sure which one yet)

Also today they unanimously voted to make the month of May “Older American’s Month.”
    (SMH!)

32. Lucille says:

30 Vintage Photos of Celebrities Posing With Their Cadillacs

33. Troublemaker10 says:

34. Conservative TreeFrog says:

Ok dog trying to learn new tricks. How do you post pics on this sight?

35. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

36. BigMamaTEA says:

Okay, I thought I’d seen weird this weekend…….

Fauxcohantus (D-Mass.) wondered aloud if Kanye really is okay.

Hildabeast brought a Russian hat with her to Yale and rambled about how she is not over the 2016 election.

Sen. Chris Murphy(D-Conn.) tweeted that he doesn’t support the “imaginary” Second Amendment.

But this……This is the co-Chairman of the DNC- Jihadist Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN…..