Come Holy Spirit!

Veni, Sancte Spiritus

Come, Holy Spirit, come!
And from your celestial home
Shed a ray of light divine!
Come, Father of the poor!
Come, source of all our store!
Come, within our bosoms shine.
You, of comforters the best;
You, the soul’s most welcome guest;
Sweet refreshment here below;
In our labor, rest most sweet;
Grateful coolness in the heat;
Solace in the midst of woe.

O most blessed Light divine,
Shine within these hearts of yours,
And our inmost being fill!
Where you are not, we have naught,
Nothing good in deed or thought,
Nothing free from taint of ill.
Heal our wounds, our strength renew;
On our dryness pour your dew;
Wash the stains of guilt away:
Bend the stubborn heart and will;
Melt the frozen, warm the chill;
Guide the steps that go astray.
On the faithful, who adore
And confess you, evermore
In your sevenfold gift descend;
Give them virtue’s sure reward;
Give them your salvation, Lord;
Give them joys that never end. Amen.
Alleluia.

GospelJN 20:19-23

On the evening of that first day of the week,
when the doors were locked, where the disciples were,
for fear of the Jews,
Jesus came and stood in their midst
and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.
The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you.
As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
“Receive the Holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
and whose sins you retain are retained.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Come Holy Spirit!

1. Minnie says:

In the most precious name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, we pray, Amen.

Thank you.

2. dayallaxeded says:

Hallelujah! Pentecost! Hallelujah! Amen!

3. Margarita says:

Happy Pentecost Sunday! Hope you’ll wear red to church today.
    Please click on the link below for the music sheet of the Golden Sequence, English version, that Menagerie posted above:

4. A2 says:

Prayer that brings revival.

““the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea”

5. A2 says:

Prayers that bring revival

• Landslide says:

Thank you for sharing these 2 videos, A2. I pray for revival here at home and “to the ends of the earth”. It is truly remarkable what God is doing among the unreached peoples of this earth. I don’t know if you labor among them or not, but May God pour out His Holy Spirit upon you and surround you with His angels. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

6. A2 says:

In China:

7. dallasdan says:

This site is an oasis in many ways. Thank you, SD.

8. Grandma Covfefe says:

Thank You, Menagerie, for posting this.

It is good to have these words and prayers of encouragements in the midst of Big Ugly.

Praise the Lord.

9. lobstah says:

With all the news around us, it is easy to get discouraged. We must keep our eyes on Jesus as the author and finisher of our faith. He, and He alone controls the final outcome, and He and He alone holds us in His hand.

10. Bud Klatsch says:

Happy Birthday Christianity!

11. TNgal says:

In our hearts, take up Thy Rest.

12. Oldschool says:

May His Spirit fill our hearts and may It shine wth His love and compassion for all to see. In His honor and name we praise You Lord Jesus. Amen

13. Jane Smith says:

Blessed Pentecost everyone.

14. CaptainNonno says:

We need the Holy Spirit’s fire of strength, courage and wisdom more now than ever before. I pray for it daily.

15. Menagerie says:

Bishop Barron’s commentary on today’s gospel reading.

PENTECOST SUNDAY

JOHN 20:19-23
    Friends, in our Gospel for today, drawn from St. John’s account, Jesus shows his disciples the wounds of his Crucifixion, and then he offers them shalom (peace). It is the juxtaposition of the wounds and the shalom that carries power. The wounds alone would leave us afraid, convinced of our sin but not of a way out. The shalom alone would leave us with cheap grace, a too easy way out.

And this is precisely why, immediately after uttering that word and showing those wounds, Jesus sends the disciples on a mission of forgiveness: “Then he breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive men’s sins they are forgiven them; if you hold them bound, they are held bound.’”

The Church receives its essential mission and identity as the bearer of the divine forgiveness. We have been entrusted with speaking the shalom of Jesus to a fallen and hopeless world. But it’s not cheap grace that we share. We participate in Jesus’ mission of showing his wounds as well. The Church refuses to explain sin away or make excuses for it or call it by another name. But when those wounds are revealed, it offers peace.

• ivehadit says:

My favorite:
      One Hebrew translation of sin-from archery term- missing the mark or missing the gold.

• Menagerie says:

I agree there is poetry in that interpretation, but I am divided about it too. As I age I realize that sin is so much more destructive than just missing the mark. If I think of it that way, it may be that I think, as I did for many years, that I’m really a pretty good person, and that’s what matters.

Well, I am a pretty good person, but sin keeps me from being a saint, which is my goal. Also, sin is singularly and cumulatively destructive, both to me, and to my relationship with the Body of Christ, my fellow Christians. And of course, it damages my relationship with Christ, which must then be repaired and set right.

I do love the missing the mark, or especially missing the gold expressions. As long as I also look deeper.

• Minnie says:

Beautiful and powerful, thank you for sharing, Menagerie.

I trust in Jesus, I am not worthy,

I am a sinner. I pray to Jesus for the strength and courage to move forward.

Jesus and Blessed Mother, who intercedes on my behalf, have never failed me.

Life presents hardships, disappointments, illness and struggles, but through it all I have faith.

Faith has never failed me. I may not receive the answer I pray for, but I receive the Blessing He ordains.

God is Great and our beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, has shown us the power of forgiveness.

Remember – the faith of a mustard seed 🙏❤️🙏

16. ivehadit says:

Pentecost/White Sunday…a wonderful day in our church calendar!

17. Donna in Oregon says:

St Augustine’s prayer to the Holy Spirit

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy. Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy. Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.

Amen.

18. Rami says:

John: 14-16 “And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever;
    17-Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but he know Him; for He dweller with you and shall be in you.
    18-I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.

19. Thanks, nice way to start the day….love this.

20. brh82 says:

“Whose sins you forgive…” I’m so into “Lock them ALL up!”, the stretch to forgive seems a million miles away. Gotta be a whole lot of praying! Thanks for posting, Menagerie.

• Landslide says:

I think we can all relate to this. What helps me is to view forgiveness as releasing them to God to deal with. And He will. Forgiveness does NOT mean we condone a person’s actions/inactions. But again, if I just give up my anger and frustration to God(repent) and trust Him to enact His perfect justice, then it helps me stay in peace. He has orchestrated so many divine moments, events, appointments, etc. in the last 3 years for America (mercy) and I have great hope for the years ahead. 🙏🏼🇺🇸🙏🏼

• Mr. T. says:

We can forgive. We just can’t and should never forget what the enemies from within tried to do to We, The People. To those who need forgiveness, they should never mistake it for weakness, for the ones who plotted to betray our President and our nation’s people, just as Judas betrayed Jesus, shall be punished.

• Sharon says:

Forgiveness is not the same as suspension of consequences. Two different things entirely.

• We can forgive, and still, pray for “let right be done”

21. EbonyRaptor says:

Sometimes things happen in life at the right time and deliver the right message needed at that time – this is one of those times for me today. God truly loves me. I’m truly blessed. Amen.

• boogywstew says:

Amen!

• Your Tour Guide says:

Wonderful words.

In light of what is currently occurring, wondered this.

Is any of the person involved in the take down having
        their own moment of revelation? Wondering about the
        intents of those around them, that they were unable to
        see before? Able to see( by Trump’s actions versus what
        was being said about him), that a terrible injustice was
        being done?

Imagine serving on a jury. Being utterly convinced that
        the defendant was guilty, and feeling just in helped get
        them convicted, sentenced. Imagine down the road
        finding out that every thing you believed about that person
        and what they’d done was utterly wrong. Might it be
        possible down the road that at least one of the perps
        might have feelings similar to one of the jurors?

Wouldn’t it be more powerful in the scheme of things
        if one of the persons reconsidering their actions and
        how it affected others were actually tried and convicted
        themselves? Especially if they said their thought in
        public. Redemption is a powerful entity. That’s why
        the bad guys have been taking it out of the equation.

22. Bob Thoms says:

“Full fullness of Truth”…………….how appropriate.
    Considering the angst, concern and fear that we are dealing with in our “real world” lives, it is good to be grounded with these reflective threads that give us both shelter and nourishment.

23. Bob Thoms says:

I love embracing the mysticism of Catholicism. These threads are a touchstone to me.

24. YvonneMarie says:

Happy Birthday Catholic Church 🍰🎂

• New Nonna Again!!! says:

The Church Jesus founded. Happy Birthday, indeed!

• New Nonna Again!!! says:

John 20:19-23

‘So when it was evening, on that day, the first day of the week, and where the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and side.

The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, so also I send you.”

And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Thank You, God! Thank You, Jesus!

25. boogywstew says:

People should remember on this Pentecost that out of the 120 or so folks in the Upper Room, among only a small handful of women present, was Mary, the Mother of Jesus. I always loved the dialog between Mary and Jesus at the wedding where Our Lord turned water into wine. Mary pulled the “mother card” on her Son when he initially showed no interest in helping. There’s a lesson about respecting your parents and another lesson about Mary’s role as a mother and an early Christian force. After giving birth to Our Lord, Mary didn’t spend her time on a fainting couch, she was a doer. Mary was chosen by God because of who she was already. I believe Mary is the most under rated Disciple. IMHO!

• Minnie says:

Blessed Mother is very special to me.

She intercedes on my behalf with her beloved son, Jesus Christ.

I know this to be true ❤️

• Deb says:

If you think the Holy Mother is an underrated disciple, you’ve never seen the Catholic feast calendar! There is a statue or icon of the Blessed Mother in every Catholic Church. She has many, many titles, because we are so devoted to her.

The Immaculate Conception
      The Blessed Mother
      The Virgin Mary
      Our Lady of Good Help
      Our Lady of Walsingham
      Our Lady of Akita
      Our Lady of Victory
      Our Lady of Guadalupe
      Stella Maris
      Notre Dame

The list goes on and on.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are you among women, and Blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

26. Diane says:

And love light up our mortal frame,
    Till others catch the living flame.

27. Dave casper says:

The holyspirit is truth literally!

28. waltherppk says:

29. Thank you Father for sending your Son to purchase us out of our slavery to sin. Thank you Christ Jesus for sending the Holy Spirit to live within us that we might please You and Your Father. Thank you Holy Spirit for manifesting the Father and the Son in our hearts!

30. Malone Hardcastle says:

Happy Birthday, too, to Southern Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Adventists, Methodists……to ~2000 years of Bible-believers of every (or no) denomination “who for refuge to Jesus have fled”.

“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out…For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
    ~John 6:37,40

31. Dixie T says:

“Receive the Holy Spirit.”
    “Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
    and whose sins you retain are retained.”

I cannot tell you how many times I have quoted this passage, and have had MANY Christians tell me emphatically, “That is not in the Bible! Jesus said we have to forgive EVERYONE, or else God will not forgive us!” (Of course, if they truly are Christians and believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, they would already know this passage IS in the Bible!)

Without the help and work of God’s Holy Spirit within us, there’s not much sense calling ourselves “Christians.” That SAME Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, lives within those of us who truly BELIEVE every “jot and tittle” written in God’s word to mankind—-the Holy Bible. That God-given POWER lives inside of us who BELIEVE. It’s that POWER of the Holy Spirit that creates “miracles” in our daily lives, year after year after year. If we Christians truly BELIEVED, we would see death and sickness OVERCOME—-and we would NEVER say, “Well, this is just God’s will for my life, to have cancer.” It IS NOT God’s will that ANYONE has cancer! (“As a man thinketh in his heart, so it will be.”)

I am so thankful for this message on this site, today! It’s a strong reminder that we have EVERY GOOD THING, through Jesus and His holy Name, when we approach the Father “earnestly and with a totally sincere heart!!! (“God is a Spirit, and must be worshipped in spirit and truth.”) We have a spirit, soul, and body. And it’s the spirit part of us that God’s Holy Spirit communicates with, because it is the only part of mankind that is “pure,” “holy,” and “sinless.” One-third of our body is reserved for GOD ONLY—-the “spirit” part of us.

• Menagerie says:

If you don’t mind, I have a question. I’ve been nought about this part of your post for several hours.

What is the Biblical, theological, or Sacred Tradition from which this belief stems? I’ve not ever encountered this before.

• Deb says:

For Catholics, that passage refers to Christ instituting the sacrament of confession. The priests were to forgive sins, they are the people Christ is referring to. It is possible to go to confession and not receive absolution, if the priest does not think you are truly sorry. If that is the case, one can reflect and become truly penitent and then return for absolution.

• Menagerie says:

Until not too long ago priests did not have authority to give absolution to those who had obtained or participated in an abortion. Priests are still unable to give absolution to a priest who violates the seal of confession, and is therefore excommunicated. That can only come from the Vatican.

I would have to reasearch to find out if there are other occasions. Thank you for your answer, it is an excellent summation of our belief, but I would add the reminder that the priest only ever, ever acts in the person of Christ. Christ alone forgives sins.

• Deb says:

A bishop could absolve a person of the sin of abortion before priests were given the authority. That is because abortion is such a grave sin that it too results in automatic excommunication. Sadly, with the legalization of abortion it has become more widespread, and there are too many cases for it to be easily handled by the bishop.

Yes, we believe that absolution comes from Christ, and that Christ chose to work hand in hand with the Church to deliver his mercy. The fact that he gives us this human interaction to help heal our hearts is yet another physical reminder of how good the Lord truly is.

32. P says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-P7KGZi_o America’s Greatest Sin — It’s Not What You Think

33. Alexander says:

We have the blessing today to be in Jerusalem and to visit the upper room. The entire day has been a celebration of the person of God come to earth and bringing us to heaven.

34. pacnwbel says:

Pentecost, the day when the Holy spirit was bestowed on the disciples, is probably the least understood of the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy(Ghost) Spirit, and yet it is the one constant indwelling life force we always have. The Holy Spirit needs to be recognized and relied upon. Ruarch?sp is Hebrew for great wind, which describes how the Holy Spirit came to mankind. Let us have a plenty of Ruarch in our daily diet. Come Holy Spirit, Come.

35. Joe Blow says:

Praise be to the Lord our God, to His Son the One Mediator between God & men, Christ Jesus, for sending His Holy Spirit to us Who intercedes for the saints according to the will of God! How blessed were those who received & believed on this day & began the church!

36. dogsmaw says:

KJV
    John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
    John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Comforter – Strong’s G3875 – paraklētos

Outline of Biblical Usage
    summoned, called to one’s side, esp. called to one’s aid

one who pleads another’s cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate

one who pleads another’s cause with one, an intercessor

of Christ in his exaltation at God’s right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins

in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant

of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom

37. ladynada says:

Thank you for posting this!

38. All American Snowflake says:

Very spiritual. “The better the music the more the lowlifes hate it.”