Citibank Weaponizes Finance To Target Political Enemy, Firearm Sales…

In 2008 the American taxpayer was a “client without a voice” when Citi-Group demanded a financial bailout. TARP followed as the largest bailout in history, and Citibank got the biggest bailout of all:

The final report from the Congressional Oversight Panel found that between TARP, the FDIC, and the Federal Reserve, Citigroup received the most federal funding during the financial crisis for a total of $476.2 billion in cash and guarantees. (link)

Fast forward ten years and now Citibank announces their intent to restrict business enterprise engaged in the Second Amendment, firearm sales. The motive is transparent; leadership within Citi-group are opponents to gun ownership and they have now made a decision to use their financial business as a weapon to enforce their political beliefs:

[…]  Today, our CEO announced Citi is instituting a new U.S. Commercial Firearms Policy.  […]  Under this new policy, we will require new retail sector clients or partners to adhere to these best practices: (1) they don’t sell firearms to someone who hasn’t passed a background check, (2) they restrict the sale of firearms for individuals under 21 years of age, and (3) they don’t sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. This policy will apply across the firm, including to small business, commercial and institutional clients, as well as credit card partners, whether co-brand or private label. (more)

It is important to keep in mind that all three issues outlined by Citibank are not unlawful; these are social policies around firearm sales that Citibank is initiating on their own. If you follow the underlying policy to a reasonable outcome, the same approach could be taken toward barring auto dealers (who use Citi-financial products) from selling gasoline powered automobiles, because the people running Citibank are environmentalists.

In the current example they don’t like certain types of gun purchases (18 year olds, 20 round magazines, etc.), so ask yourself what will they not like next?

Regardless of how you feel about guns think about what this financial service company is doing here.

What happens when they don’t like the political position of Home Depot?

What happens when they don’t like the free speech of Alex Jones (Info-Wars)?

Beyond the ‘second amendment’ you can just as easily see Citi-group using their monolithic financial control to target the ‘first amendment’.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be so particularly annoying if Citibank didn’t demand the previous taxpayer bailout (TARP); I don’t remember gun owners having the option of exclude their tax receipts from the bailout request of Citi in 2008?

I digress.

However, with more and more organizations deciding to limit the use of their products and services based on political ideology; and with Citibank now openly stating their intent to create national legislation without actually applying congressional laws to their endeavors; it’s a fair request to say Citi-group should no longer be permitted any favorable benefits from the FDIC.

If you are stunned by their position…. What can you do about it?

Disconnect yourselves from Citigroup: ♦If you have investments with Citigroup pull out of their service; move your money.  ♦Drop Citigroup as a lender or mortgage provider. ♦Cut up your Citigroup credit cards. ♦Never take a loan from Citigroup. ♦Or, ultimately for those in business…. if you are a business that takes Citigroup financial products as payment, consider applying a surcharge for any customer who uses Citibank credit or debit cards.

♦Citibank customers paying an additional, say… 5% surcharge might just catch someone’s attention. Just sayin’.

This entry was posted in 2nd Amendment, Bailouts, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Conspiracy ?, Dem Hypocrisy, media bias, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Taxes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

343 Responses to Citibank Weaponizes Finance To Target Political Enemy, Firearm Sales…

1. Pursang says:

If a Christian baker can be punished for refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple, how can Citibank refuse to provide service for legal gun transactions?

The Left, heads they win, tails you lose. Every. Damn. Time.

• drljr says:

The “Left” are ideologues and are almost always hypocrites.

• davidb says:

@ Pursang Not this time…I was in a large local store and people buying guns will just pay with cash, check, Visa, or a DEBIT card….Citistupid’s ban won’t even make a smudge on gun sales…especially on the new Ruger redhawk short barrel .454 Casull I wan’t for my new CC weapon, for when I have to go back to the big city…Sandpoint…ugh. I hate it there, tons of people.

• Jan says:

But I bet you can still use your Citibank card for an abortion. More babies killed by abortion than homicides by guns…truly stunning is the hypocrisy when you think about it.

2. dbobway says:

Citi group wants control of their clients.
    I never read that in the Constitution of our Republic.
    When we are bad in their minds we should be punished,
    When they are committing fraud on their customers,
    They want us to bail them out.
    The perfect company program for a totalitarianism blue print.
    They don’t want to compete,
    They want to cheat.

Sounds just like Congress.

3. Mike Ryan says:

hmmm… Costco uses Citibank for their VISA’s. no more COSTCO credit card

4. flyboy46 says:

That’s the way to get their attention, hit them in their wallet. Ask DICKS sporting goods how their new policy is working out, or the NFL. Companies need to find out that politics is NOT GOOD business.

5. Beth02 says:

I have a Citi card. I contacted them two days ago and let them know I was leaving them. I doubted that they would care but the CS person did sound sincere and maybe a little distraught when I told them I was dropping them. I’m very disappointed by these companies who are trying to legislate via commerce. Clearly the rules of business have changed.

6. “Or, ultimately for those in business…. if you are a business that takes Citigroup financial products as payment, consider applying a surcharge for any customer who uses Citibank credit or debit cards.”

Bingo.

• BAM says:

Unfortunately, the fine print usually prevents the retailer from adding charges. That’s why there is no upcharge for using a credit card. However, that also is why some smaller businesses offer a discount for cash.

7. dbobway says:

The more of these bad characters are exposed the better.
    They have been abusing their own customers for years, while DC protects them.
    It’s sad, without the 2nd amendment, Citi group wouldn’t exist.
    Our 1st amendment, in the Bill of rights defines us, The 2nd?
    Protects the 1st!
    That is why it is 2nd!

8. Bree says:

Unbelievable.

9. Stoobie says:

This is a YUGE opportunity for Crypto Currencies! You can open a Crypto account with $20, and establish a “wallet” to send or recieve payments in about 5 minutes through any number of Crypto Exchanges, and the last gun show I went to, there were several dealers already accepting BitCoin, etc.

10. Pcuser1 says:

I will be adding a 5% surcharge to all Citigroup credit cards, or I might put up a sign refusing to accept them altogether…haven’t decided yet.

11. Doc Moore says:

There is a Federal Law, the Brady Act, that requires background checks against the national criminal database. All states and gun shows have to comply with that absurdly over restrictive law. Bump stocks are irrelevant unless you plan to do mass shootings, and people who do that do not obey laws. And the age limit is hardly consequential, or is already law in most states, I think. And when I was 14, I assure you, I could easily find someone older to buy me anything the Government didn’t think I should have. Morevover, it seems to me that Citibank is saying, “If you borrow our money, we want you to abide by existing laws.” Now, I despise every notion that resembles “gun control”. I emotionally DESPISE those people who support gun registration, or limitations of ANY kind on any citizen, even those who may have a past felony conviction for crimes that did not involve the use of guns. BUT…I cannot find anything in the action of Citibank that is any more objectionable than requiring that customers obey the ABSURD laws, e.g., the Brady Act…that we currently have.

• Doc, So far there are no laws that: (2) they restrict the sale of firearms for individuals under 21 years of age, and (3) they don’t sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. Citibank is making their own policies here for people who pay Citibank, either by yearly dues or interest, to use their credit cards and the businesses also pay Citibank to process those credit cards. This is where people are going to have to put their money where their mouths are…do you or don’t you support businesses that work against your constitutional rights? How much power will you give to businesses who intentionally push a leftist agenda? It’s a personal call, what will you do without to promote your beliefs? Personally I will boycott Citibank just like I do certain stores, brands, authors, actors and lots more stuff and I will continue to let everyone I know the reason for my latest boycott. For instance today my 94 year old mother cut up her Citibank card when I told her the latest news. I will be telling my HPD officer daughter tonight and am sure if she has one of their ccards she will also cut it up. Personal beliefs Doc, what are they worth to each of us and what we personally will do about it.

12. Demoncrats says:

Great recommendations in the article.
    Disconnect yourselves from Citigroup: ♦If you have investments with Citigroup pull out of their service; move your money. ♦Drop Citigroup as a lender or mortgage provider. ♦Cut up your Citigroup credit cards. ♦Never take a loan from Citigroup. ♦Or, ultimately for those in business…. if you are a business that takes Citigroup financial products as payment, consider applying a surcharge for any customer who uses Citibank credit or debit cards.

13. Michelle says:

Citigroups two largest investors are Abu Dhabi and prince al Waleed bin Talal.

14. Ron Myles says:

Costco needs to change their “branded” membership VISA credit card from Citi. As a veteran, NAR member & a strong supporter of our country’s 2nd Amendment, these corporate idiots offend me and I don’t like it one bit! Let them fail during the next financial crisis!

• deplorablehummer says:

Not certain that Costco will do that. I noticed that several years ago during the previous administration that it was a Costco exec that was at the Democrap Convention introducing the candidate at the time. Have also read several articles detailing where if they (though not posted at the stores) happen to see you with a concealed weapon (permitted or not) you will be asked to leave the premises. I consider Costco to be an undocumented Gun Free Zone.

15. Dr Emilio Lazardo says:

I just can those Citi card solicitations every month, but next time I think I’ll phone them and tell them why they are dead to me. When you are retired you can always make time to take a little umbrage.

16. Rick Caird says:

As I recall, the Obama administration weaponized banking regulators to force the banks not to do business with gun dealers and others. A simple regulation that says that banks cannot add restrictions to businesses that go further than US law would put a quick stop to this. Do you think Citibank would like to see more audits that they already get?

17. Ospreyzone says:

Citibank has no problem doing business with China, where human rights have been long abandoned.
    They have no problem dealing with Iran where human rights, well, …forget about it.
    Or Egypt, turkey, Sub-Saharan Africa …
    Citibank is scum. And that’s the long and short of it.

18. Mike diamond says:

City Bank!??? The stupid is is stupid does!! I would never ever use this bank!!!!