President Trump and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer followed through on the trade commission study from last year showing evidence of dumping in the U.S. market.  Samsung anticipated this final outcome and is almost finished with their plans to manufacture washing machines in South Carolina.

Washington, DC – U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer announced today that President Trump has approved recommendations to impose safeguard tariffs on imported large residential washing machines and imported solar cells and modules.

USTR made the recommendations to the President based on consultations with the interagency Trade Policy Committee (TPC) in response to findings by the independent, bipartisan U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) that increased foreign imports of washers and solar cells and modules are a substantial cause of serious injury to domestic manufacturers.

“These cases were filed by American businesses and thoroughly litigated at the International Trade Commission over a period of several months,” said Ambassador Lighthizer. “The ITC found that U.S. producers had been seriously injured by imports and made several recommendations to the President. Upon receiving these recommendations, my staff and I conducted an exhaustive process which included opportunities to brief in person and through public comments, public hearings, and meetings with senior representatives.

Based on this information, the Trade Policy Committee developed recommendations, which the President has accepted. The President’s action makes clear again that the Trump Administration will always defend American workers, farmers, ranchers, and businesses in this regard.”

For imports of large residential washers, the President approved applying a safeguard tariff-rate quota for three years with the following terms (read more)

Suniva, SolarWorld and Whirlpool were helped by a 1974 trade law that lets companies seek trade protection if they can show damage from a rise in imports.  Prior administrations’ stopped using the law in the mid 1990’s, President Trump reconstituted the process in 2017 as part of his overall overall trade-plan.

Up to certain levels, imports of solar cells will be exempt from the tariff, while the first 1.2 million imported large washing machines will get a lower tariff, peaking at 20 percent.

Congress has no authority to change or veto Trump’s decision. Countries affected by the decision can appeal to the World Trade Organization.  The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and their purchased DC politicians are apoplectic:

This entry was posted in Decepticons, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, Economy, media bias, NAFTA, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

292 Responses to President Trump and USTR Lighthizer Levy Tariffs on China (Solar Cells) and South Korea (Samsung Washing Machines)…

1. wheatietoo says:

In before the foreign trolls say “You’ll be sorry!”

• prenanny says:

That’s IT I am leaving the TRUMP train, how DARE he blah blah blah
      Those folks Wheats?

• 🍺Gunny says:

Samsung washers suck. Had two brand new ones. Both just broke after a few months. Switched to Whirlpool. Been going strong for years. Ex father in law worked at Whirepool plant in Clyde, Ohio for years. Good stuff

• prenanny says:

I have had the same washer/dryer since I purchased my home 25 years ago, knock on wood not a single problem. Zero bells and whistles to break down, non computerized to breakdown. Bring sanity back to appliances!
        AND lower the damn prices

• sunnydaze says:

Gunny, a friend with a pretty new Samsung washer that broke could not find anyone in the area who would work on it!

Guess no one wants to take on the responsibility of fixing a piece of junk that’s bound to break again soon.

It’s a shame what Samsung has done to their brand. Hopefully the shop in S.C. can revive it, at least in the States.

• Annie says:

Can attest to the Samsung washers…junk..and repair people just laugh when you ask about repair..I have an owner( I manage her house while she is overseas) bought one and it went hay wire and she still doesn’t believe me that I had to junk it..I am going to print out this thread!! Ha!!!

• sunnydaze says:

Yes, send the thread. I couldn’t believe it when my friend said she’d called every repair guy in the area and they all told her “No!”.

You *know* something is seriously wrong when people turn down a job!

• Esperanza says:

It’s not that they turn it down. They can’t do it. The circuits are printed tiny and they don’t sell replacement parts. Just had the case with Logitech sound system. Command module blown. Can’t buy a new one. Nothing you can do. Except never buy Logitech again.

• wishiwasinhawaii says:

I had a bad Samsung washer a few years ago and decided never to buy their products again. No support…called the 800 number and got 2 repair shops. Neither would answer the phone. Looking for a new one, I eventually went around town and interrogated sales people…where can I get this brand fixed? Do you own your own repair labor or outsource? After a month of waiting, Best Buy took it back and I got a refund. I bought a Whirpool and no problems. It’s a great example of horrible customer service leading me to blacklist the whole company. Just not worth it anymore to support companies like that.

• Wow. I’m so glad to hear about everyone else’s adventures with Samsung appliances. I purchased in April of 2017 brand new washer/dryer and side-by-side refrigerator/freezer. They plugged in the dryer and it didn’t work. It took nearly 2 months and a million phone calls to get another one because I got the runaround from the shipping company and Samsung. Neither one regarded me as their customer so neither one cared. Then in November the entire fridge/freezer stopped working. It took 4 visits for the repairman to “fix” it. Two weeks later, broken again. Two more visits and now it is “repaired”. We’ll see. In the meantime I bought a $200 fridge/freezer as a backup. Samsung called me to see how satisfied I was with their service and I laid into them. He didn’t seem surprised.

• acenypd says:

Samsung, Momma San. That was their slogan for years in the 80’s. Now it’s probably racist.

• NotALiberal says:

I have never owned a Samsung appliance. My mom bought a new fridge, a Samsung, 2 years ago, and I begged her to check reviews, cost of repairs, etc. Well, 1-1/2 years into ownership of her new fridge (at the low, low price $2500 /s), it started breaking down everywhere, ice maker, fridge side not staying cold, freezer not freezing. The repairman who showed up said, “You’d be better off buying a new one.” Gah!

• Kaco says:

I wouldn’t buy a Samsung but I’ve had a Whirlpool Duet for the last 10 years or so and can’t stand it. I should have had my old Kitchen Aid fixed, at least it got the clothes clean. The Duet takes forever, the time is always longer than what’s on the screen, I had a repairman early on saying it’s within their parameters. Most of all, it doesn’t clean the clothes like my old washer did, mostly because there is hardly any water. Every wash I add on extra time and extra rinse because of it. Next machine would be a Speed Queen, several years ago I heard they were good at cleaning clothes. I got the Duet to wash larger loads and comforters. But my old Kitchen Aid was a large capacity, just was a top loader. My Kitchen Aid dryer is still going after 22 years, though.

• shannynae says:

It’s the EPA “rules” that were put in place during the Bush and Obama reign of terror. Washing machines were only allowed to fill with just a little bit of water. If you have noticed, the last couple of years they have been making products to get the stink out of clothes because they are not properly cleaned. I am hoping that PDJT wipes that regulation out so that we can have clean clothes again.

• Kaco says:

Yes, and I have posted below about this, too, another treeper suggested putting bean bags in the machine to trick it into using more water. I will try that, too, this has been a decade old problem. I keep hoping this machine will die as I can’t get rid of a still working machine otherwise and it cost about a grand at the time.

Yes, water savers, we had a hard time finding new faucets and shower heads, that wouldn’t be drippers. We all have to live with California’s drought.

• ladypenquin says:

Look up Staber washers. Years ago, I wanted a “front loader” type but not the bending down part. Hubby did online research, and found them. Made in America, uses very little water, and gets the clothes clean. Basically the tub turns, but access is from the top. Love it. Now on my second one after 18 yrs, just to have an upgrade. No mold problems as been reported with residential front loaders.

Best of all, don’t have to call a repairman, because (well, not me) but a handyman, hubby, etc. could fix it. The parts are located with access from the front of the machine. The only “repair” he had to do on the 1st one (in 18yrs) was an upgrade to the water pump, all from the front.

• Grrrr. 😖😖😖 My 20 year old washer was never quite the same after the minor earthquake we had a few years ago. I have now been through 2 washers since, they just don’t make em the same. The current one is a “high efficiency” model. Love the Orwellian terms they put on all this stuff. Nothing efficient about me having to wash twice.
            Make America Clean Again!

• shannynae says:

I just posted several links in reply to TheLastDemocrat because he was doubting my EPA statement. The EPA regulations ruined our washing machines plain and simple. They should be in this thread if you are interested.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

I doubt low water is due to EPA rules. But please post a note about this if it is true.

Front-loader washers work differently than top-loaders. They were first rolled out in Europe because – Europe.

The goal was to wash with less water, and less energy. The front-loaders get enough water in them to wash your clothes, when tumbled as they do. This is far less water than a top-loader, which must submerge the load.

The front-loader gets the clothes wet, then moves a bit, then stops and lets gravity force the water through the clothes, carrying along detergent and dirt. It then moves a bit to a different orientation, and gets pulled through by gravity again.

It then spins faster to get water out better than a top-loader does. -This is because, ounce for ounce, it takes less energy to spin most of the water out with front-loader high-speed spin speed, then have less water to evaporate out, than to have top-loader do its modest spin rate, and have the dryer smoke out the rest of the water.

This high spin rate is why front-loaders have to weigh more.

So, yes, the time for one load is longer in front-loader. Dry time is shorter, but not enough to offset. Energy savings is substantial from both washer and dryer.

Take your pick.

About cleanliness: many of us who have adopted front-loader noticed that they get clothes more clean. In fact, as you run your entire wardrobe from top-loader to front-loader, you will notice the front-loader is getting out residual detergent smell from top-loader.

I am on my second front-loader. Both have done well enough. When the first broke down, I was told the particular model could not have bearing replaced. So, I tore it down, sold the parts, and basically covered my original cost! [once i tore it all apart, I could see that the bearing could have been replaced. But I was not about to put it all back together.] So, I had a washer for 6 years, then sold it – as parts – a lot of work – but got my money back.

The second – knock on wood- still works. But when it dies, I will look to youtube on how to fix, or will part it out!

• Tim Tarr says:

I have a Duet from about same time period. Yes it’s slow but nothing gets my “rags” cleaner. When I bought it I made sure wasn’t manufactured in China. Always try to find stuff not from China. Been doing that for 20 years or more.

• annieoakley says:

I have the same problem with a new Maytag. No water. My old Gibson front loader worked for 12 years but I left it when I moved. Dryers have fewer parts to break down.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Yep. Here in beautiful downtown Deutschland (I think in all of Europe, actually) Samsung washers have this nasty habit of launching their drums through the side of the machine. Hard to believe, but true (don’t have the picture to hand, but the front-loading machine unloaded through the victim’s laundry-room wall. No one was hurt, thank goodness. Others of their machines caught fire (trying to dry before they washed? engineers redeployed from their phone division [threw that in for you apple fans 🙂 ]).

I just wish they’d focus more on reliability than “smart” doo-dads and infintesimal “resource usage”. Yep, so efficient the clothes don’t get washed hardly at all.

All this tree-hugging is making us “the great unwashed”…

• Kaco says:

Are you in Germany?

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Yep. Praying that the GroKo doesn’t happen…sigh… Born and raised in Kalifornistan, but left more than 30 years ago. A cynic might say I went from the frying pan into the fire, but before “The Wall” fell, it was better than Moonbeam v.1 …

• Kaco says:

Oh, wow, what brought you to Germany?

Last time I visited there was in 2000. My husband’s father was from Germany. I am so saddened by Merkel’s invasion and all of Europe. Where are you? I’m trying to think, my father in law was from a small town called Leifen or something like that, I can’t remember. But when we visited there, we toured the Romantic Road. My husband still has an aunt and cousins over there.

• Bought whirlpool washer/dryer when we got our house almost 20 years ago. The last repairman told me never let them go because nothing gets clothes clean anymore.

Would be nice to get some manufacturer to build from the older designs. Including finding a car maker to put out a line of cars without all the electronics/digital stuff?

• ladypenquin says:

Agree. Can’t stand digital anything! Only needs basic mechanical movements for a washer. 50 selections are meaningless and wasted. The more doodads, the more things to go wrong. Same with a car. All this high tech stuff means the local garage can’t fix anything like they once did. Mother-in-law wanted to help us buy a new car, but we declined. Both of our cars are quite serviceable, work fine, and have had minimal issues. Best part – can get repairs easily if needed, though hubby does quite a bit himself.

I don’t want some high tech car with crazy bells and whistles. I just want a car to get me from one place to another. 🙂

• Speed queen!!! Best American built washing machine ever!

• Many of those large front loaders suck. Have to use double the water because the clothes aren’t rinsed. Defeating the whole water wise purpose to begin with. They also create mold in the front doors. Yuge complaints about that. Need to do away with the water saving modes… nothing but a big tax on us.

• Charlotte says:

Remember the fires caused by faulty wiring in Samsung machines?
        They do suck.
        But actually, I’m wondering if this isn’t leverage against Samsung for all those missing texts on the Samsung Galaxy phones Strzok and Page were using?
        Remember Samsung spies on people-their smart TVs do, why wouldn’t their smart phones?

Here’s How The CIA Allegedly Hacked Samsung Smart TVs — And How To Protect Yourself:

&
        Samsung ‘urgently’ investigating smart TV spying claims:

Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 ✔ @JackPosobiec
        All FBI Galaxy S5’s come pre-loaded Samsung Knox security suite – which specifically states it archives text messages

This could not be altered or disabled by anyone other than an FBI system admin by special request

• chojun says:

I have a pair. The front loader washer drum drive arm assembly completely disintegrated. Into dust. Like, it exploded.

I pulled the whole thing apart and replaced the assembly with new drum bearing for like $150. I actually had to replace the bearing on my GE washer also. They’re all cheaply made – I think imports have forced domestic manufacturers to sacrifice quality to stay competitive.

• My son told me that Sears “Elite” series is Whirlpool

• WFO says:

Speed Queen -Made in America. The best you can buy.

• Paul Dillon says:

Whirlpool man myself. Dishwasher, cook top/range, fridge, washer dryer. Even got a Wirlpool microwave. … I guess I win. 🙂

MAGA!!

• Sylvia Avery says:

But…but…but…I was doing a happy dance. Am I doing wrong?

Sounded really good to me. Made in USA washers and dryers? I’m in!

• ladypenquin says:

[Ben Sasse, R-Neb., said Republicans need to understand that tariffs are a tax on consumers. “Moms and dads shopping on a budget for a new washing machine will pay for this — not big companies,” Sasse said in a statement.]

• Sylvia Avery says:

Pffffttt…..to Ben Sasse!

• If smart consumers don’t want to pay tariffs they will buy american made!

• the5thranchhand says:

Thank you Lady Penquin for your wise tweet to that dumb bunny Sasse. And to think that someone so illiterate about how the world/business works is actually representing the people of Nebraska. Really scary, isn’t it?

• ladypenquin says:

Prevarication by politicians like Ben Sasse, who are owned by the globalists/lobbyists, are a problem. The average person only hears the soundbite, and they’ve dumbed down the schools so much, quite a few young people have no idea how manufacturing, production costs, shipping, labor etc. factor into the final consumer price. Furthermore, he is completely ignoring the fact that foreign businesses are profiting from their dumping low-quality products into our homes. In the meantime, our factories got shuttered and we have too many people living a welfare existence instead of a self-reliant working man or woman’s life.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Folks, prices will go up as we lose out on the super-low prices that China could give, due to super-cheap labor and super low environmental standards.

Our elected officials helped move that wealth creation from U.S. to China in exchange for campaign funds, and I am sure other perks.

i believe we will just need to accept that a U.S. made item will cost somewhat more, and we all get used to it; the trade-off is: China loses influence over us; we become more of a manufacturing economy rather than a service-and-welfare-and-debt-based nation; our economy improves and we can swallow the price increases; competition shifts, and innovators find more way to lower prices going forward.

• farmhand1927 says:

Ben Sasse speaks for a rapidly declining number of moms and dads in Nebraska, let alone the nation.

2. Michael Do says:

Tell Ben Sasse that consumers do not need to pay that tax by buying from Suniva, SolarWorld and Whirlpool. Buy American products! Show the middle finger to USCoC and globalist traitors.

3. Starman says:

Tariffs are ultimately not a tax on consumers. Yes consumers MAY pay nominally a little more but not that much more….Samsung still has to compete in the market. The larger effect will be that working Americans will have real jobs. Thus you see the washing machine factory going up in SC…real jobs keeping real $$ in the country.

• Publius2016 says:

Let me see if this makes sense? Build large heavy equipment across ocean, pack up and ship, pick up and deliver to warehouses across the country, sell then deliver? How about we make them in US and cut out half the cost plus the new tariff! Hey Multi-Nationals, come on over to US and make your stuff here…lots of land, great tax, regulation, and property rights, good workforce with abundant energy…btw largest developed market by two orders of magnitude! AMERICA FIRST!

• Running Fast says:

Well actually they are in that we can no longer buy ultra cheap Samsung washers. Instead consumers will be “forced” to buy washers priced in accordance with true production costs.

The concept is that dumping is a form of price fixing that over the long term will drive ALL competitors out of the market. At that point Samsung could then raise their prices.

Sasse is an “its in his name”. Great move by Trump.

• prenanny says:

President TRUMP has been taking a hatchet to regulations and will continue to.
        May we be so Blessed to pay for production costs vs paying for tyrannical regulations that limit our freedoms.

• ladypenquin says:

Paying low prices for cheap quality is frustrating. I’m sick of the stuff we import, including fabric – have you paid attention to our clothes – everything wears out in a short time. Cotton content minimal. Appliances are so poorly made, you’re forced to replace, not repair.

Builtin obsolescence costs us a great deal of money in the long run.

• repsort says:

Maybe. But it’s not for you to decide whether or not I buy cheap crap every 2 years or buy more expensive stuff that’ll last a lot longer.. It’s my choice.

These tariffs aren’t about that. There’s some kind of cross-subsidizing going on that allows Samsung to come into our market and sell below manufacturing costs, thus doing financial damage to the other manufacturers who are selling at honest pricing. The intent of this kind of unfair trade practice is to destroy competition so that the market can be cornered and prices can be jacked up when Samsung is the only large player left.

• ladypenquin says:

I understand about driving competitors out of the market. I still stand by the concern of paying for lower quality goods, at supposedly “reasonable” “cheaper” prices, and then having to replace said goods within a short period of time. I used my 1st iron for 20 yrs, then when I finally replaced it, have had to buy a new one every 2-3 years. Finally, found the “classic” version of the old Black and Decker, which, BTW, isn’t even manufactured in America anymore.

One thing to watch out for, is American companies have not only relocated their factories, other companies went out of business, but sold their name to a foreign company. So we still see familiar brand names having nothing to do with the traditional, earlier quality American-made products.

• farmhand1927 says:

Even worse, paying high prices for cheap quality.

• Charlotte says:

True. So hard to find pure cotton and pure wool clothes which hang well and BREATHE. Not this polyester plastic crap
          And then my daughter sent me this article–I had no idea–totally shocked. So went looking for cotton fabric to sew some clothes-very difficult to find. The draperies mostly have rayon and polyester. Ughh

How your clothes are poisoning our oceans and food supply -Microfibers – tiny threads shed from fabric – have been found in abundance on shorelines where waste water is released.

&

Invisible plastic: microfibers are just the beginning of what we don’t see

• Orygun says:

One of the most important aspects of buying American is the availability of parts. The Chinese crap is basically a throwaway product along with some other Asian products. One thing Honda and Nissan did when they entered the US market decades ago is create a good parts division and supply houses. That has endeared them to many consumers.

The Chinese equipment is basically an order for a certain amount of product and then retool leaving the consumer without a parts base. This kind of attitude creates a throwaway product and some of them are really expensive.

4. Publius2016 says:

Incredible! With the new tax expensing and Kemp 2.0 tax free investment zones (both rural and urban), Samsung can make their washing machines in the US! Solar panels are money losers except for the huge subsidies…either way, AMERICA FIRST!

5. Alison says:

If Tom Donahue is apoplectic, USA is most definitely winning.

Thank you, President Trump.

6. prenanny says:

When was the last time solar panels had a tariff you might ask?
    2014 was the year.
    Enjoy yourself looking at reactions at that time to now, hmmm what is the difference LOL

• Publius2016 says:

Difference is we are more than competitive now…we are truly the best place in the world to invest in production facilities. BAR NONE!

• And those imported solar panels are poorly engineered. They feed enormous amounts of noise into the electrical wiring of your home (and out into the grid). This is bad technically and also generates low frequency magnetics that can have health consequences (dirty electricity). Can’t wait for Made In America to rule the day again!

• Alex says:

what? Solar panels are DC voltage sources. Its virtually impossible for a DC source to introduce large amounts of noise. If there is noise, its coming from the power electronics, not the panels. Naturally, if you buy cheap panels, you are also probably going to buy the cheapest power electronics to run them. The panels have dropped in price far more than the control circuits.

• True, solar panels are DC voltage sources. You are correct in identifying the CONVERTERs as the problem. If you home is not wired for DC, then you will have a converter from DC to AC and that is how the low frequency noise is fed into the house/grid.

7. Fred says:

We need to bring the manufacturing base back to the US. By making the foreign companies either build the things here, or cost them more to send them here, we get the manufacturing base, and jobs for Americans. Initially it will cost a little more, but after the companies get their tooling and assembly lines working, the price will go down again. We can always commandeer, or coheres the foreign companies to supply necessities for the US if needed. We need to stop the Chinese from exporting our foodstuffs to process them in China. The people need to find out which companies are doing this, and boycott them. Smithfield is the first to come to mind.

• Publius2016 says:

Plus profits in best financial system in the world too.

• Yes, Seems LG and Samsung are going to do just that but this is good news for USA made like Whirlpool:

• Janie M. says:

A Chinese company bought Smithfield. It is my understanding, Fred, raw chicken is shipped from the US to China and they process it further which leads me to believe those breaded chicken patties, nuggets and strips are done in China. After I learning that chicken was shipped to China, I attempted to determine which poultry producers (Purdue, Tyson, Banquet, etc.,) were letting the Chinese process them but couldn’t find a thing.

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent to a friend in 2016 about this issue. I had hi-lighted the words “(heat-treated/cooked)”:

[snip]
      Excerpt (relevant section I highlighted in yellow) in 2013 letter from Andreas Keller (FDA), Director International Equivalence Staff, Office of Policy Program Development, FDA to: Li Chunfeng, Food Safety and Inspection Service, Deputy Director General, General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, Beijing, People’s Republic of China:

“As all outstanding issues have been resolved, the PRC may proceed with certifying a list of poultry processing establishments as meeting the FSIS requirements. These certified establishments may then begin exporting processed (heat-treated/cooked) poultry products to the United States under the conditions established in FSIS’ April 2006 final rule; i.e. only processed poultry products produced from poultry slaughtered under FSIS inspection in the United States or in a country eligible to export slaughtered poultry to the United States.”

I continued my email by saying (I edited 2 cuss words to post here):

This is for “cooked” chicken convenience products like chicken nuggets, patties, strips, etc. that you see in the freezer section. I had learned a few years back this was going to happen so I decided NEVER again to buy them. They cost more than buying raw and making them yourself and the melamine debacle comes to mind (explanation in next paragraph). I only buy raw whole fryers and raw breasts and or thighs, depending on best price. This chicken is safe to consume.

I DON’T trust food products from China- I believe they have bad food safety standards, unhygienic and probably adulterated with unacceptable chemicals that do NOT belong in food products. They were shipping melamine (a chemical found in bowls, plates and other tableware) to dog and cat food producers and not the correct protein product – remember when dogs and cats started getting sick and dying. They did the same s**t to their Chinese baby formula (melamine added to milk), a number of those babies died/got very sick. I don’t trust those ****ers when they have no problem poisoning their babies.

• Cliff Indiana says:

China bought Smithfield awhile back…

• annieoakley says:

Absolutely!

8. fleporeblog says:

Republicans like Ben Sasse, Jeff Flake and others that are puppets of the CoC are in for a world of hurt! Round 6 of 7 in the NAFTA negotiations commence shortly. This is it! The only way we see a 7th round is if Canada 🇨🇦 and Mexico 🇲🇽 give in to the demands of our Wolverines. If that doesn’t occur, our President will sign the EO starting the six month wind down of the NAFTA agreement. I anticipate by the first week in February for that EO to be signed.

9. Gil says:

Samsung washing machines are pricey and my appliances guys have said they never can get parts. Nevermind all the recalls. I bought a traditional kenmore top loader because impellers dont clean properly. Samsung also was just oversized for my space. Maybe better products will be made here.
    We have been bombarded with solar sales reps and Edison raised rates on solar powered homes because they werent making any money. Hows that! They have to pay for grid access anyways and the panel costs. Oh boy, technology.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Front-loaders actually clean better, and are more efficient (they heat their own water, for one), BUT that’s really only the European versions. I was amazed at how big the front loaders are in the USA, not that the drum is bigger (isn’t, really) but there’s a lot of empty space in the housing, because they’re big, just to be big.

The only downside is when the washer’s heater goes out, and the house water heater is out, too. In the middle of winter. Like just happened to us 😦 (twelve-year-old machine, though). I replaced the brushes on the motor last year (first set) and will replace the heating element some time this week. It’s a Bosch machine (same company as Siemens and a few other brands). My only fear is when the electronics go south; that’s 150 Euros for the part. Still cheaper than buying a new washer..

Planned obsolescence is corporate theft. Just the thing that idiot and his COC want…

• prenanny says:

I wash my laundry in cold water always have always will.
        Use a top loader and regular old TIDE powder do not believe for one moment that front loaders clean better.
        Why would I buy a washer with its own hot water heater when I already have a hot water heater? Things like that do not make sense to me.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Depends on fuel/electricity costs, lengths of the pipes, how well they’re insulated, etc. I didn’t think that self-heaters were better, but after 30 years of using them here (and 30 years of dual-connections in the USA), I’m convinced. The little instant-hot-water at-the-tap heaters, on the other hand, are horrid.

Dishwashers here do the same thing. The main problem is the greens have forced the appliance makers to use so little water, that a load of washing now takes up to four hours to do; and the heat-pump type dryers (gack) also take longer, because they have to condense the water through a heat exchanger and drain it. Real hassle to clean. And the lint, arggggh, the lint is everywhere [idiot greens don’t realize that’s a fire hazard]…
          Pity the poor family with a lot of young kids and those long wash times… then again, the greens aren’t having kids; they have pets, instead…

The front loaders I’ve seen in the USA were huge, just for the sake of being huge. The industrial front loaders are FAR better, but probably cost a fortune. And some things need hot water to get really clean (especially if bleach would cause problems).

If the greens and our new “permanent visitors” have their way, we’ll be living like Neanderthals anyway…

• Orygun says:

Having an appliance heat its own water allows it to use a temp to clean that would otherwise scald a person at the tap. This allows better disinfection and cleaning having the ability to use a higher temperature in the cleaning process.
            My Bosch dishwasher has its own heater and does a superb job of washing dishes.

• David GERKEN says:

I have a front loader with steam option. For whites, steam works great for me. Without steam, I’m not impressed.

10. calbear84 says:

Ambassador Lighthizer is yet another great Cabinet pick by PDJT. He’s going to be tough on China, that I can tell you 🙂

11. Troublemaker10 says:

About that new Samsung plant in South Carolina…

————

“The plant, Samsung’s first U.S. appliances factory in more than three decades, was among a long list of investment pledges by global companies reacting to pressure from Trump to create more U.S. jobs.”

Source

12. citizen817 says:

Be interesting to see the Left twist this… especially over solar panels. Think Solyndra.

13. carl says:

Now if they could somehow get Whirlpool to make washers like they used to. You know, the ones that have the awesome agitation, that fill up, that complete a cycle within thirty minutes, that wash even with the lid open, that cost no more than six hundred dollars and last more than ten years.

14. tonyE says:

We bought a beautiful Maytag washer and dryer… made in the USA. After discounts and sale we paid $1500 bucks…

Our previous Maytag lasted 18 years.

I looked at the Samsung and LG units and not only were they very expensive but the reviews were not good… they break and parts are unavailable.

• Mrs. RedLeg just did the same thing after our years old Whirlpool finally died (actually the controller board died and the replacement part was more than a new washer).

A friend in the biz highly recommended Maytag for just the reasons tonyE says. It’s quiet, strong and has a very good reputation amongst the repair men (yes, we called and talked with several.)

15. sunnydaze says:

I’m all for paying more for something , as long as it lasts forever…..which seems to be the case with all my old American apliances and machines from the 70’s and 80’s (for real).

It’s the new “cheap” *junk* that needs constant replacing. What a headache.

• Turranos says:

We all need a time machine!

• sunnydaze says:

Back in the early 70’s, I lived in an apt. that had the original 1920’s electric stove!

It was BEAUTIFUL. Dark pink thick thick enamel and gorgeous grill work.

It worked like a charm. The only problem was it was MUCH smaller than a modern stove and the oven was too small to bake a turkey in.

BUT! The oven was plenty big enough for anything else.

So that sucker was 50 years old and still working like a charm.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Funny thing is, those old stoves (and other appliances) are becoming collectors items (retro is cool). And expensive, too…

The biggest problems again, come from the tree-huggers in their unending schemes to separate us from out hard-earned money. All that extra electronics to connect your washer to the internet so you can dial in from your smart phone and see your washer exploding and flooding the basement at the same time 🙂 And the half-cup of water that it saves pays for itself in, say, 100 years…

Anyone remember gas dryers and gas fridge/freezers?

16. kate says:

I have a top loader Whirlpool washer now, have had it at least 10 years, had a Maytag for just over 20 years before that, what a great machine it was.
    Thank you President Trump for bringing back jobs, made in America products, and looking out for us everyday type folks.

17. wheatietoo says:

“Protectionist!”
    This is what the globalist-owned media will be saying.
    Oh no. Not that!

I’m thinking…what’s wrong with being ‘Protectionist’?

We put hobbles on our domestic factories, then we let it foreign products to compete with them…from foreign factories that have no ‘minimum wage’ or OSHA regs or EPA regs or have to pay into SocSecurity/Medicare.

We have to protect our domestic Job Creators.
    Or they leave.

The elitists will condemn this.
    They don’t care about us, they don’t care if people don’t have jobs.
    These are the same people who try to demonize ‘Nationalism’…as though it is something bad.

America First!
    That means protecting our American factories which make American products!
    Nationalism is a good thing.

• MM says:

Exactly Wheatie…..The reason the citrus industry is facing extinction is because of citrus greening that was brought into our ports from other countries. When you could buy a box of little cuties for 2.00 from other countries why would anyone buy from Ca/Fl citrus growers?? We couldn’t compete due to all of the rules and regulations we had to work under….Workers comp along will put a box of fruit up .50cents….

• sundance says:

Every time someone accuses me of being a “protectionist” I respond first by simply asking them what’s the opposite of “protectionism” ?

You’d be amazed at how two-thirds of responses are (((crickets))) . True.

• wheatietoo says:

Haaa. Indeed.

Next will be…”Trade War!”

But we’ve already been in a trade war, an ongoing one.
        Haven’t they noticed?

And it’s a trade war that we’ve been losing, because we haven’t had a President who Fights Back!

• kiskiminetas says:

Those who have been in charge of the USA have brainwashed many people to believe that Free Trade is free. That is an outright lie because Free trade is not free. There is no such thing as Free Trade just like there is no such thing as Global warming. Free trade and Global Warming are nothing more shell games to suck money out of countries. Praise be to God we have a business man and not a politician running our country. If it was a run of the mill politician who has been feeding off of our backs for years we would be screwed.

• David GERKEN says:

The answer is …. TREASON

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Protectionism and Populism denigrated by Anti-Americanism and Communism.

Fake News Media, featuring Fake Republicans on chorus, singing Fake American songs about Fake Freedoms and Fake Rights and Fake Values and Fake Results.

FakeFakeFakeFakeFakeFakeFake!

SPIT!

• Brendan says:

People need to understand that the free market ends at our borders. There are no free market protections outside of our sovereignty, every nation is in it for themselves.

18. sunnydaze says:

A couple weeks ago, someone put a link up for some “made in America” washing machine.

Does anyone remember what the Brand was? Need to tell a friend. And wish I had it for my own self…just in case.

19. Ziiggii says:

20. Ziiggii says:

• MM says:

BLAH BLAH BLAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kaco says:

I am tired of being your “consumer” forced to buy foreign imports on every manufactured good because nothing is made here anymore.

I was looking at some old towels from about 22 years ago a couple months back, I think the tag was Royal Cannon, and were made in the U.S.A. Clinton screwed us with NAFTA and China favored nation status. When we got married in ’95, we were still buying made in the USA goods.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Yep those Cannon towels were great. Still have some. Newer towels end up threadbare in almost no time at all, it seems… Plus the little cannon on the tag was cool. Snowflakes would probably say that’s encouraging violence…

WTO, NAFTA, MFN, and all that Anti-American, anti-sovereignty stuff have to go. And I think it will, with President Trump and the Wolverines in charge.

• If they mean by “great loss” that American consumers will no longer buy their garbage appliances and can buy a great appliances made in the USA by Americans then I guess that they are correct.

21. justfactsplz says:

‘Merica First. Nuff said.

22. Texian says:

Sears is the American middle class.. And they are struggling just like all of us. After a century long partnership, Whirlpool decided to leave Sears. Sears has prided itself on making discounts for its middle class customers – reasonable quality at a reasonable price.

Sears told employees that Whirlpool made pricing demands “that would have prohibited us from offering Whirlpool products to our members at a reasonable price,” And Whirlpool claimed it couldn’t compete with Samsung and LG and filed suit. In it, Whirlpool alleges that Korean manufacturers Samsung and LG have been selling washing machines in the U.S. at unfairly low prices for years. “If not for this unlawful behavior, we believe our washer category would have thrived like the rest of our North American business,” Whirlpool’s chairman said in a statement.

I spoke with a salesman last year at Best Buy who was a former appliance repairman and he essentially said, if the LG or Samsung breaks down you might as well just buy a new one as the parts and repair will make it cost prohibitive. He told me to go Sears as he heard Whirlpool was leaving Sears.

I went to Sears – and there was the last set of Whirlpools – discounted at a reasonable price. The manager even took ten percent more off, then finally $200 more off if we bought the set to close the deal..The last set of Whirlpools at Sears.. Thank you Sears manager – for bending over backwards to help the struggling middle class American consumer. I hope you are able to survive. If any of you Americans out there need to purchase an item, go to Sears, help out a longtime American friend of the middle class consumer to survive. They are on your side.

A neighbor had bragged about buying an LG set for cheap.. Later they said it took three hours to dry one load of clothes. And after about a year.. it broke.. they had to go buy a new set..

Our Sears Whirlpools are working wonderfully by the way..

• Kaco says:

I’ve read the Sears CEO is running Sears into the ground. I have seen with pricing things out Sears prices are not competitive. I hate to see an old mainstay go so I hope they turn things around. But selling off Craftsman and also Craftsman made overseas now was not a good move either. Our local Sears hardware closed a few years ago.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Sears has been circling the drain for years, as did the late, great, Montgomery Wards. They both went off the rails DECADES ago when the Brennan brothers took over and ran them into the ground. Wards didn’t survive; Sears barely did, eventually merging with K-Mart.

Hmmm. Brennan. Now where have I heard that name before???

Even Craftsman tools are “just crap, man” anymore. And IIRC, the unlimited lifetime warranty is neither unlimited, nor lifetime anymore. I went into a Sears a while back visiting on vacation and asked if they had any Craftsman tape measures (as mine was getting somewhat long in the tooth). “Oh sure,” the youngster (!) at the counter said, “but they don’t have the Craftsman label. We don’t make our own anymore”…

He could just as well have said that about America. And that was 2011, during the Øbozo years. Here’s hoping and praying that President Trump (with his Wolverines and a cleaned-up administration) restores “Made In America” to its former glory, and does it even better!!!

• Kaco says:

I really hope so. I’m hanging on to many things as long as possible. Everything is junk now, it’s even harder seeing old names go down hill like Craftsman. I know my husband had complained about the change a few years ago, too.

• Little Annie’s Fannie says:

My father used to have access to testing reports for quality and price to operate major appliances. I remember him saying that Sears branded appliances were rated #2 overall and were available in our area. We had many of their appliances in our home for years!
          Personally I had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that was amazing. The water pump finally gave up the ghost and we couldn’t find one to fit it since Kitchen Aid was out of the dishwasher business by then. Replaced many with Kenmore and they have been fine.

• dave says:

Sears is the poster child for lousy/non-existent customer service. That’s why they are going under, not because they couldn’t compete on price.

• annieoakley says:

The problem is the replacement parts are now being made in China too. They say that the replacement part is the same but that is a lie.

• kiskiminetas says:

We got a Whirlpool in 2002 and are still using it. We had a timer and belt go bad but we have a handy man, who has parts repaired it. We have had no problems with the dryer. That stuff coming from overseas is junk.

23. “Moms and dads shopping on a budget for a new washing machine will pay for this — not big companies,” Because as we all know, Samsung are the only gig in town.

24. Cliff says:

Trump has our back. 2020 is a slam dunk. What do we do in 2024? He will leave massive shoes to fill.

25. wheatietoo says:

The international Shipping Line Companies love globalism.
    It’s been very good to them.

If you look at Who Owns the Shipping Lines…you will see that not one is a US company.
    At least not the top 20.

The number of top 20 international shipping companies by Country:

This article gives an overview of Who these companies are, and Where they are located:

• prenanny says:

Most of them are privately owned all this lists is where they are HQ’d gleaned from web sites. The itty bitty print at end of article.
      Favorable liability laws determine registration of ships.
      Americans are involved in shipping our very own Sec Ross has been involved in shipping.

• CC says:

Its called a “flag of convenience”….they have very poor safety regulations for their shipping process and fleets. As a kid growing up in the Canal Zone…we would see ships registered in Liberia…I asked my dad about it and he said it was due to loose and lax regulations and cheap insurance….before the Canal, dad was a merchant marine and never worked on a non US flag vessel, for that reason.

26. carterzest says:

Meh…Ingraham is covering this.

Usually, she’s three days behind…or overspeaking….

Still, a Big Win!

27. iwasthere says:

COC got to Tim Scot as well. Say it ain’t so Tim! So it ain’t so! Ben Sasse – Flake, etc what a couple of douche bags.

28. iwasthere says:

WSJ: Great depression – certain. I can’t wait for that ‘tariffs’ caused the great depression lie to be put to bed once and for all. Better watch it WSJ – you might get a fake news award!!!

29. William Dorritt says:

US Trade policy under the RINOS and Marxists has been designed to move every job possible off shore and import; low IQ, low skill, low education, low income welfare dependent workers for the jobs that can’t be exported.

Most or all of the Federal Deficit is a direct subsidy to the illegals and their employers. US citizens the victims of crime and govt abuse are the real victims of the population replacement policies of both parties. For 30 years the Congress has been the house of Treason.

The position of Traitors Sasse and the Chamber of Traitors is that the US workers would be better off economically if they were allowed to export all of their jobs.

The Police and other Civil Servants who have cooperated with the export America and import welfare workers may be surprised to discover one day that the Amnesty was designed to replace them with totally-dependent totally-unethical new citizens who will do anything for their employers.

30. unconqueredone says:

I’m not a fan of tariffs. Some seem to work, most don’t seem to.

I want straight up truth in labeling. A product ought to be required to say what % is made where and where it was assembled. “America” is not good enough since NAFTA has allowed items to be made in China, shipped to Mexico for assembly and claim such a lie. It needs to tell us where it actually came from and who produced it. I’ll decide. My next washer/dryer already was going to be a Whirlpoo. (I’ll be buying this spring). Fixing the Korean h.e. units takes an unreasonable amount of effort.

31. tylermckinleycompany@yahoo.com says:

Consumers have choices in the US. If they want a foreign made washer they can lay the higher price. It’s their choice.

32. repsort says:

re: Chinese garbage for sale here.
    The most-favored-trade status or whatever it’s called, that we made China a while back, still haunts us.

Instinctively, I figured any nation with an unlimited pool of near-slave labor would prove to be too tempting for most manufacturer trying to compete here in the US, where the cost to do biz and produce was already quite high.. That designation, in my opinion, has been devastating.

• jmclever says:

POTUS Trump had lowered energy costs, lowered corporate taxes and eliminated strangulating regulations. Those and the can-do creativity of the American work force have made slave labor a non issue in competitive advantage.

Americans’ freedom of speech leads to freedom of thought which leads to creativity, ingenuity, problem solving and inventiveness. Lack of that basic freedom creates a work force that only does what it’s told. It’s also why China has to steal all our ideas to manufacture in their work camps

33. MIKE says:

Larry Kudlow continues to befuddle me. He spoke on WMAL radio this A.M. on the samsung washing machine tariff. Said he wasn’t sure about this tariff being sanctioned by PDJT. (He didn’t like it)
    If I can see the ‘America first’ strategy, why can’t he?

34. thesavvyinvester says:

I am so not tired of winning.Now let’s get rid the EPA rules in regards to appliances and water heaters.
    FWIW, these EPA washing machines that flop like a dead fish for 1.5 hrs are a joke. When our last one died, we found an old school one at Sears, it was affordable, and fixable. I am not sure of the US content, but the gent that sold it to us noted a US firm had bought the rights to an old school washer and was making it here, I am not sure they are still in business. I have fixed the washer, dryer, and the “frig” with the help of a company that could be a G-d-send to CTH-er’s trying to keep your old school appliances alive. I am blessed they are local, however they have diagrams on line and help lines. They are “repairclinic” https://www.repairclinic.com They make me look like Mario Andretti’s crew chief back in the day when it comes to fixing this stuff, it is easier than you think.

35. jmclever says:

President Trump brilliantly uses existing law to correct decades of abuse of the American people! Power to the people via our V.S.G. AND the swamp can’t do a thing about it!

36. kallibella says:

MAGA WINNING!!!
    Who’s tired yet???!!!! 😉

37. Screwtape says:

What would Milton Friedman say about this move? Hint, not much.

38. Bendix says:

Maybe we can bring back dishwashers that clean your dishes in an amount of time that is actually convenient for working Americans?
    Forgetting to run the dishwasher has gone from a minor problem into something that can ruin all your plans for the day.
    Working Americans have enough trouble planning their lives as it is.
    Older, faster dishwashers used “too much” water and/or electricity? With no per household or person limit on what constitutes “too much”?
    Fat Lying Al Gore can hog and waste all the energy he wishes to. Meanwhile, some poor working mother is removing dirty plates from the dishwasher and attempting to get them clean by hand, because one of the kids didn’t push the button before she got home, and she invited people over to eat.
    Can we not?

• unconqueredone says:

So true. The new dishwashers can hardly be called that!

• annieoakley says:

Who gave the government our permission to fool with the water in a toilet, light bulbs, the water in any washing machine? Now they are manufacturing siding with insulation on it and fires burn between the siding (old and new) like the building that went up in Great Britain.

• The Democrats. These are the types of things they pass to make people think they are actually doing something. In the mean time, people who can afford a high end washing machine can use all the water they want….no low flow machines for them. Also, in Britain, they still have washing machines that use water. Stupidest thing I ever heard of….next time I have to buy a washer, I will be looking for an older used one with an agitator and water.

• Orygun says:

The dishwashers that heat their own water seem to work the best as they can heat the water to a higher temp than regular hot tap water and does a better job cleaning and disinfecting.

• It’s not the temperature, its that they aren’t allowed to use water.

• All American Snowflake says:

Save water: Another climate change myth from Al Gore who had all the Power Companies and their subsidiaries in line to push for manufacture Green Energy Appliances.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

…if we all promise to shower with our partner, will they let us have a dish washer that uses a good amount of water?

• Orygun says:

When the heater control in my dishwasher failed the dishwasher continued to run its cycle like normal except the dishes were not coming out clean. I couldn’t figure out why the dishes were coming out dirty and finally I ran a diagnostic on it and the circuit board was bad and I replaced it.
          As soon as it started heating the water again the dishes were coming out clean so it had a real life affect. The hot water from the tap was not sufficient to get the dishes clean. Then again the dishwasher is probably 15-20 years old so it is so old as to not have any water saver crapola.

39. WFO says:

We have a 50 State completely free trade, tariff free zone. Tariffs are Constitutional and how you build a prosperous economy – ask Germany, Japan,, China, etc. Why would any county allow another country to put their people out of business? Fair trade is value for value – not killing your domestic industry to get free shit.

• All American Snowflake says:

For this you can thank an Obama voter. And it wasn’t free. The Obama administration payed for and replaced American made refrigerators and stoves that were in excellent condition in government facilities.

40. Ben Sasse needs to understand that families shopping on a budget cannot afford Samsung! They typically buy MAYTAG

41. jd says:

Tarriffs were the cornerstone of Franklin, Washington, Hamilton, Q.Adams, Clay, Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield’s domestic economic policy.

42. All American Snowflake says:

The Obama administration bought a lot─ a lot ─ of Korean washing machines and dryers. They were bought by HUD (low income housing) and SHAG (senior housing).

43. All American Snowflake says:

Don’t forget that the Obama administration also smashed perfectly good old cars that usually were re-purposed to the poor. This was too insure that electric cars would be sold. AND to get people used to riding the billion dollar trains.

• All American Snowflake says:

The Obama administration was hand in glove destroying American manufacturers and buying substandard appliances and inferior cars that do not reach American standards. Todays cars are inferior to the six- and eight-cylinder cars of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s. A child born in the Twenty-first Century will never know what a top of the line car drives like.

44. 2packs4sure says:

If Samsung washers were removed from the planet entirely the world would be a much better place!
    They’re absolute garbage.

45. All American Snowflake says:

Don’t forget the Korean cell phones. I understand that they are cheap and sell well as Obama phones.

46. aliashubbatch says:

This might be off topic, but since we’re talking washing machines, any recommendation for removing rust stains from white shirts?.

47. If we assume that our Constitution is still the Law of the Land, I have a question concerning SD’s post.
    Here’s the quote: “Congress has no authority to change or veto Trump’s decision.”

Assuming again that our Constitution is the Law of the Land, not SCOTUS decisions or opinions which are contrary to the Constitution, where does the Constitution say Congress has no authority to change or veto Trump’s decision?

Article 1, Section 8, first clause puts tariffs squarely on Congress’ table.
    Article 2 (president’s powers), say nothing on this without some approval of a house of Congress.
    Am I missing something? Is there an amendment I have missed?

48. Buckeye Ken says:

Wonder if any of the FBI agents will take the Pentangeli option?