Wednesday December 13th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

210 Responses to Wednesday December 13th – Open Thread

1. BakoCarl says:

Trust

Whether I think it’s good or bad,
    Or if it makes me happy or sad,
    Only God knows the heart of man,
    And what happens is by His plan.

God will see that things go His way,
    Without regard for what I say.
    Things won’t happen outside His will,
    Though I shout or stay quiet and still.

I don’t know what He has in mind,
    Or with tomorrow what I’ll find.
    Mine is to trust Him every day,
    That He’ll guide me along my way,

That He’ll provide my basic needs,
    That, if I’ll follow, He will lead,
    That He’s forgiven all my sins,
    And that He’ll bring me home to Him.

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

4. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Some comic relief after last night.

• RyderLee says:

Blue Ridge Mts Va. , I wish I had one of those Adorable Puppies !
      Kitteh acts aloof and hides but I think she is secretly Loving
      All that Puppie Affection ! I bet there is a lot of laughter in
      that home right now 😄 Thanks for posting ☺

• MTeresa says:

The music is great (love Henry Mancini).

• smiley says:

❤ 100% cute ! ❤

• nikkichico7 says:

Oh oh I want ONE of those, and sedatives for my cats 😜

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

Our Border Collie would herd the cat when she was a pup as well. As long as the cat stayed on a throw rug, she was ok. The minute she walked off of said rug, Puppy was there! She also tried to herd the 1 yo Grand Daughter! The child did not like it at all, and we had to intervene.

• Janie M. says:

Jacqueline, read an article a year or two ago regarding Border Collies. Their owners were concerned about behavior they were exhibiting. So, some smart enterprising people set up herding camps for the dogs. They were finally able to act on their natural instincts and all were happy campers, especially the doggies. 💖

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

As long as they have a “job”, they are the greatest dogs! Mine gets to chase a Frisbee or a ball for at least 1 1/2 hours a day at full speed. It wears her out, and she’s a good dog the rest of the time. She also loves dock-diving in the summer, and “Fly Ball”. She is a big ham with her Frisbee. If anyone is watching, she will do flips and tricks all on her own to get applause! If they don’t get enough exercise or attention, they get very destructive and can eat a sofa for fun. They also like to play learning games. Mine knows the name of every single toy she has(dozens). She can even spell!,lol!

• Janie M. says:

How sweet, Jacqueline! I suspect there are folks who expect them to be low maintenance. Border Collies are extremely intelligent and need stimulation. And you are being a wonderful mom keeping her busy. Yeah, many years ago, I had a Dobe who “ate” a couch. He had chewed/ripped parts of it down to the springs. It had heavy butcher block ends (it weighs a ton due to Oak construction) and he even managed to drag it out to nearly the middle of the living room.

• Garrison Hall says:

Our late border collie, Sweetie, was a foundling who adopted me at at local a restaurant. She was about fire years old at the time amply lived up to her name, fitting perfectly into our homelife. My wife has Alzheimer’s and Sweetie immediately decided watching after her was her “work”. She was with us for about 8 years and rarely left my wife’s side. I miss her, still.

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

That’s so sweet, Garrison. My hubby says if I leave the house, she pines at the window until she sees my truck coming down the road. I rarely leave her, or she me. She’s all heart, loyalty, and fun sweetness! Our 3rd Border Collie! After the first one , also a foundling, no other breed quite matches up. The one we have now, Isla, we got from a Border Collie rescue group in N.C. She was about 6 weeks old, and just the cutest! No Idea where she came from, her mom was found in the woods with 3 puppies, but all of them looked pure Border. She certainly has the brains and energy!

5. Grandma Covfefe says:

I’m reposting my comment here from last night loss:

Remember, The Dems didn’t win. The Uni Party won. They are our number one enemy and have been for decades. They proved it tonight, thru lies and voter frauds, etc. There is no use ragging on PTrump, Sessions, Bannon, Moore, Alabama, etc. It is the demonic enemy that came into Alabama and took over the state with plots to lie and deceive.

The Dems and the Media are our number 2 enemy. This win tonight will give the Dems/MSM the green light to start full-blown attacks on President Trump, his admin and WeThePeople. We are going to have to stand our ground, from this day forward. We know who our enemy is. Everyday we are going to have to let our President know we have his back, no matter what.

President Trump said this last Friday at the Florida Rally. Write this down on a 3 x 5 card and keep it close. I call it Covfefe (I will stand up) Code:

Never give in.
    Never give up.
    Never back down, and
    Never ever stop dreaming.

As Scarlett O’Hara said: Tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow will be another MAGA day.

May the Lord bless you, Treepers.

6. Garrison Hall says:

7. citizen817 says:

8. ZurichMike says:

Today is the feast day of Santa Lucia (St. Lucy) of Syracuse (Sicily), of vast importance to the Nordic (especially Swedish) Christian community:

The traditional song sung on St. Lucy’s Day is set to a folk tune from Naples. So there you have it: A Sicilian saint celebrate in Sweden and honored in a song set to Neapolitan music. A classic rendition of this song is:

I have attended a Santa Lucia service. The church is darkened and then the procession of Lucia and her attendants begins. The church gradually fills with light and music. So sweet and other worldly.

St. Lucy is patron saint of those with eye problems. It takes on more importance for me on this celebration of her feast day because since late last evening (right after midnight and into December 13th) I noticed a shadow in my right eye; I believe I have a cataract and am very anxious about it; calling an ophthalmologist immediately. Please say a prayer to St. Lucy for me. Thank you.

• RyderLee says:

Prayers for you , ZurichMike .
      Please try not to worry until you’ve seen the doctor .
      Thinking of You .

• piper567 says:

Mike, don’t be nervous ab a cataract. Removal is a piece of cake.
      Sometimes a Doc will let it go for a while, it causes no harm, it just increasingly affects your vision as you face bright lights or sunshine.
      Your brain adjusts to this, and when a cataract is removed, you feel like a kid again: everything is 3D and bright!
      Its marvelous.
      I will pray for appt.

• Prayers for you, ZM, and for St. Lucy 😇😇😇
      God Bless 💖💖💖
      🎄🎁🥓☕🎁🎄

• ZurichMike says:

Thank you!

• Janie M. says:

ZM, received this FDA email alert from the FDA (I’m a subscriber) and saved it since I’m entering into my late 60’s. You might be able to benefit from these new lenses should you be required to have surgery. May be worth discussing with your eye doctor.

FDA approves first implanted lens that can be adjusted after cataract surgery to improve vision without eyeglasses in some patients

[snip]
          The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the RxSight Inc. Light Adjustable Lens and Light Delivery Device, the first medical device system that can make small adjustments to the artificial lens’ power after cataract surgery so that the patient will have better vision when not using glasses.

Cataracts are a common eye condition where the natural lens becomes clouded, impairing a patient’s vision. Following cataract surgery, during which the natural lens of the eye that has become cloudy is removed and replaced with an artificial lens (intraocular lens, or IOL), many patients have some minor residual refractive error requiring use of glasses or contact lenses. Refractive error, which is caused when the artificial lens does not focus properly, causes blurred vision.

“Until now, refractive errors that are common following cataract surgery could only be corrected with glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery,” said Malvina Eydelman, M.D., director of the Division of Ophthalmic, and Ear, Nose and Throat at the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “This system provides a new option for certain patients that allows the physician to make small adjustments to the implanted lens during several in-office procedures after the initial surgery to improve visual acuity without glasses.”

• ZurichMike says:

Excellent! Thank you!

• Janie M. says:

ZM, you’re very welcome. I always prefer to see new technology that has been out in the field for a few years to determine if it is worth considering but this appeared promising. Don’t know how much it will tack onto any out of pocket expenses but glasses are a PIA, can be lost, broken, etc. (been there, done that). This corrective lens circumvents those possibilities.

• nikkichico7 says:

Beautiful, God bless you Zurich Mike and ease/heal your concern about your right eye. 🙂

🌹

• Two-Cent Woman says:

Prayers for St. Lucy’s intersession for the healing and health of your eyes.

• Tegan says:

Mike, just had cataract surgery on both eyes. Believe me, it’s a snap! Wish all medical procedures could be as painless and effortless.

• ZurichMike says:

Good to know!

• BigMamaTEA says:

Hubby had cataract surgery on both eyes over the course of last year. He has had glasses since the age of 8. For that surgery now, you can get corrective lenses that replace the clouded-lens with the cataract! He now gets tired of not being able to find his glasses for reading!

Not fair. I’m going into baby-readers, while he is getting out of glasses!

• Tegan says:

LOL, BigMama…after my cataract surgery,when I finished reading I automatically reached up to remove my (non-existent) reading glasses! And, I always had my reading glasses right with my IPad…took me a couple of weeks not to look around for them.

• BigMamaTEA says:

I will add, hubby had to use “tears” for a while. Said his eyes felt dry, post surgery. But that soon went away.

• 94corvette says:

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in October. Talk about your miracles! For over forty years I have worn glasses and now only need them for reading. When they tested my eyes afterwards, I now have 20-20 vision. The way I describe seeing now is that someone came into my house and replaced all the 40W bulbs with 60W bulbs; it is that much brighter. I love it. Operation itself was like 30 minutes total; my wife didn’t even have time to get a cup of yogurt at the coffee shop before they wheeled me out of the OR. Trust your doctor, they know what’s best.

9. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Adam Sandler – The Hanukkah Song

10. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Ring Christmas Bells…

11. chojun says:

To the purveyors of the CTH –

There is a video ad rotator at the top of the site that makes for a really awful experience here. On mobile it drains my battery extremely rapidly, and on desktop it causes the page to jump to the top. Is there anything that can be done to remove this from the site?

12. Lucille says:

André Rieu – When Winter Comes

13. Grandma Covfefe says:

Merry CHRISTmas, Treepers. Have fun with the lyrics to this song on Wacky Wednesday.

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
    Jack Frost nipping at your nose
    Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
    And folks dressed up like Eskimos

Everybody knows a turkey and some
    Mistletoe help to make the season bright
    Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow
    Will find it hard to sleep tonight

They know that Santa’s on his way
    He’s loaded lots of toys and goodies
    On his sleigh
    And ev’ry mother’s
    Child is gonna spy to see if
    Reindeer really know how to fly

And so, I’m offering this
    Simple phrase to kids from
    One to ninety-two
    Altho’ it’s been said many times
    Many ways; “Merry Christmas to you”

• Grandma Covfefe says:

You are free to go back to your country.
      Christmas is part of our American Culture.
      Muslims never was and never will be part of American Culture.
      Buh bye.

• auscitizenmom says:

Hm. “The entire campus is invited to a Christmas tree lighting ceremony, while Muslim students must celebrate in private without seeing the campus transformed into a Middle Eastern wonderland, the complaint continues.” So, THEY want a Middle Eastern wonderland, huh? I guess that means we have to blow up the buildings, put garbage everywhere, kill all the trees and plants, and cover the area with sand? Oh, and of course, drape all the females in burkas. There, that outta do it. 😦

14. Sedanka says:

Would love to see Sundance post a little article in memory of Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens who passed away today. Not only a great musician but one of the very rare conservatives in the music industry.

15. TexasRanger says:

2017’s Best Meteor Shower to Peak Wednesday Night as Geminids Dazzle Onlookers

One of the best meteor showers of the year will peak on Wednesday night Dec-13-2017 beginning at 9:00 PM, dazzling onlookers with up to 60 to 120 meteors an hour.

Look To The Skies – The Meteor Shower of 2017 – It’s Quit a Phenomena to Observe and Experience – Don‘t Miss It.!…..

Maybe you’ve already seen a bright meteor streak across the December sky.?

The annual Geminid meteor shower has arrived. It’s a good time to bundle up, go outside and let the universe blow your mind!

Read Story;

And, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All Treeper’s.!

Watch The Video;
    NASA Video 01:41 Minutes Dec-13 & 14-2017;

16. MaryfromMarin says:

“Do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the LORD one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

–2 Peter 3: 8–

17. pmdea says:

Romans 8:28. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, who have been called according to his purpose.”
    This promise calms a thousand fears, comforts a thousand pains, and yet raises a thousand questions….. The answer is always FAITH in our Loving Heavenly Father.
    PDJT has been called by God for this period in history…i.e. Declaring Jerusalem is Israel’s Capital — amazing prophetic significance.
    Are we listening to the world as our basis for living? Or, are we listening to God?
    Faith comes by hearing and if we are only hearing the negativity of the news then that’s the faith we will have. If we’re only taking in the chaos on the television set, then we will have disorder in our life.
    The seed determines the crop not the soil. If we don’t like what’s growing in our garden, then plant something else.
    “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” ( Galatians 5:22-23 ). These fruits come by planting the word of God in our heart and letting it grow.

18. nwtex says:

Scott Baio‏Verified account @ScottBaio
    9h

Unbelievable evening. @realDonaldTrump
    3:42 PM – 12 Dec 2017

19. nwtex says:

20. nwtex says:

OMGosh! You have NO idea how elated I am to read this!
    All this recent technology is very ominous to the max!!!!!!!
    Truer words were never…..”
    ~~~
    Facebook ex-boss bans his kids from using it and says app is ‘ripping society apart’
    21 hours ago

‘It is eroding the core foundations of how people behave by and between each other,’ says former Facebook executive Chamath Palihapitiya

A former Facebook exec has admitted that he bans his children from using the site – saying he feels ‘tremendous guilt’ for his part in creating the service now used by billions.

Chamath Palihapitiya, former vice president for user growth, said, ‘We have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.’

He had particularly harsh words for tools such as Facebook’s ‘Like’ button saying that social media was leaving users ‘vacant and empty’.

He was speaking at a Stanford Graduate School of Business event and urged people to take a ‘hard break from some of these tools’.

The 41-year-old added: ‘The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works.

(I’m hesitant to post the yahoo link as I think it may post the entire page with ALL the articles showing up here. Anyway this -above- is the entire piece on what he has to say.
    If you want you can just go to yahoo/news

21. smiley says:

Outpost

1968

egg tempera on panel

Andrew Wyeth ~ American (1917-2009) ~ Realism

that’s his wife, Betsy, looking like a sentry. 🙂

and here’s Betsy at about the time she and AW met…

she is 96 now…living in NY.

(there is another painting AW did of Betsy…looks a lot like Nancy Reagan…will try to find it.)

22. Donna in Oregon says:

I like this artist. Now that it’s winter I think I’d rather be in the desert. 🙂

23. Dora says:

Edmund Greacen (1876–1949) The Old Garden (1912)

24. smiley says:

What The War Over Jerusalem Is Really About

Dec 11, 2017

Daniel Greenfield

“It’s not about ‘a piece of land’. It’s about the supremacy of Islam.”

it’s about jihad..

“…another territory to be conquered.”

and PDJT sent a clear message : we will not submit.

right on-target article by Greenfield…as always. 🙂

• Evelyn says:

This is excellent, but it is a spiritual war that predates the whole muslim movement. It goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden, where God told Eve that her seed would crush the serpent’s head.

Satan has been working frantically to delay the crushing ever since, by corrupting the human genome before the flood so that only Noah was perfect in his generations, to killing all of the male children in Egypt when Moses was born, to having Haman plot to kill all the Jews when they were in exile in Persia (the story of the book of Esther), to killing all the male babies in Bethlehem when Jesus was born.

After the resurrection, these efforts were redirected into antisemitism, since Jesus proclaimed in 2 of the gospels that the world will not see him again until the Jews say “Barch haba b’shem Adonai” – blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.

If only those pesky Jews could be eradicated, they would be unable to greet their Messiah, and the kingdom of the man of sin wouldn’t be interrupted by the return of the Lion of Judah.

Fortunately for all of us, God has a different plan. In this world we will have tribulation, but we can be of good cheer, for He has overcome the world.

• msmelchizadek says:

Finally, a clear and concise reasoning with which I fully concur. I believe our President was placed here at this time for a reason. He is by no means “perfect,” but he can be used. Erma Bombeck used to say something like… light shines through cracked pots. But we must never forget the Revelations speaks that “every nation will fall…” That means USA will also fall; I just hope I am gone and my children are gone when it happens.

25. Dora says:

This is a nice Nativity, especially since it stands quietly in a busy area of NYC. Whenever I visit the city during the Christmas Season I make sure I stop there for a few minutes and say a prayer.

==

NATIVITY SCENE GRACES CENTRAL PARK

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on the league’s nativity scene in New York City:

There is a lot of misinformation about the display of a crèche on public property. Hopefully, the pro-Christmas side will learn something from what happened today.

26. Dora says:

Ugh!

• Donna in Oregon says:

I laugh every time one of these guys pops up. I can’t believe women fall for this crap. Same mindset that let Harvey Weinstein play hide the sausage.

It’s not enough these guys are out-running and out-lifting females in competitions now they’re going to take our positions as women. Wait until they get free uteri from the taxpayers paid transgender fund….

These dudes are totally competitive. They don’t want to be like us, they want to replace us.

27. nikkichico7 says:

Isaiah 33:22New King James Version (NKJV)
    22 (For the Lord is our Judge,
    The Lord is our Lawgiver,
    The Lord is our King;
    He will save us);

28. grandmotherpatriot says:

I am off to the Orthopedic Surgeon today as I need surgery on my Rotator Cuff.
    I have been dealing with this shoulder since 10/06/2017. It’s time to get it fixed.

I just want to say that the Alabama race did not throw the Trump Train off the tracks – full steam ahead.

29. nikkichico7 says:

If you’ve been in band/orchestra this ones for you 😜

30. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.”
    Matthew 24:44 (KJV)

31. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

32. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

33. georgiafl says:

After last night, we need a bit of comic relief!

34. Jane in Florida says:

I am sharing this horrible story again as it has really shaken me to the core. This handsome, kind, dedicated doctor who is a husband and father of an 11 year old daughter supposedly committed suicide by knife. Do you actually believe this is a suicide?

Dr. Dean Lorich, an orthopedic surgeon who volunteered in Haiti and exposed Clinton Foundation corruption and malpractice on the island, has been found dead in New York. He was 54.

Dr. Lorich was found by his 11-year-old daughter on the bathroom floor of his tony Upper East Side apartment with a knife in his chest at around 1pm on Monday.

Here’s the doctor on Charlie Rose’s old show:

Your News Wire is a questionable source to some but the story appears to be true. Google it. Other sources:

This is the same doctor. He dared to publicly publicize the critical situation in Haiti, so now he is dead from a “self inflicted” stab wound.

35. F.D.R. in Hell says:

I’m not sure about this Pope’s Devil, but I’ve not argued with Eleanor since 1945. 👿

36. BigMamaTEA says:

Rod Rosenstein , Deputy Attorney General testifying House Judiciary Committee…..

• CC says:

Mr. Jordan just gave him what for and wanted answers… and Rosenstein responded with non answers about his staff and huge budget….and smirked while responding…

My tax dollars pay for this? I want to return the product for a refund. It is not what I expected. Kohl’s has a good return policy, why not the US Gov? sarc/off

37. dbethd says:

First Lady Melania Trump visits with children for Christmas at Children’s National Hospital | December 7, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Andrea Hanks)

38. dbethd says:

President Donald J. Trump signs H.R. 2810, the National Defense Authorization Act for the Fiscal Year of 2018 | December 12, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Joyce N. Boghosian)

39. F.D.R. in Hell says:

• smiley says:

good one.

this new “sexual allegations” thing is starting to outdo the old RACIST! thing, by miles.

and when that runs its course, I do wonder : what’s “NEXT!!!”

40. duchess01 says:

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2017
    Where the Heart of Our War is TodayI!

41. aliashubbatch says:

42. Scarlet says:

Wow! Look at this upcoming senate candidate! This is going in the right direction !!!!

43. kinthenorthwest says:

Okay, I just NEED to vent . We are angry! We have had ENOUGH! We will never help anyone again. EVER!! Either we’re too kindhearted, too stupid, or too gullible!! Out of the kindness of our hearts and because it was so cold out yesterday, we took a man into our home. Felt so sorry for him. Poor thing was frozen stiff, we had to carry him out of the cold. This morning he just vanished. Not a word, not even “goodbye” or “thank you” for sheltering him!! The last straw? I realized he had peed all over the living room floor!
    Like SERIOUSLY 😡😡😡 That’s the “thank you” we get for being good to people?
    Now we’re going to warn our lovely friends/family to watch out for this man! He is heavy set, and he’s wearing nothing but a scarf. He has a nose that looks like a carrot, 2 black eyes and his arms are so skinny they look like sticks!! Don’t bring him into your house! What a huge mess he made on our floor but he did leave me his scarf! He goes by the name of Frosty. (had to share).