Thank You Readers – Your Communication is Delivering Results…

Thank you to everyone who is taking the time to explain the downstream impacts of fuel shortages in citizen led recovery efforts – to any public official or agency contact who will listen.  Using every possible communicative tool in your network is working.

Good News – FEMA “Task Force Irma” is listening and pushing the message upward toward critical “leadership”. We received the following email last night:

FYI… following your reports. We are supplying millions of gallons of fuel. I have used your posts to provide leadership insights into life in much of the state. Prayers are with you.

Best Regards,

Steve Shea

STEVEN W. SHEA
Defense Logistics Agency
Liaison Officer to FEMA Region IV DCO
Task Force Irma
4075 Esplande Way
Tallahassee, Florida 32399

My reply:

Dear sir, THANK YOU.

The need for fuel is a critical upstream priority. The downstream consequences are far greater than most could reasonably assess in a short reply. Suffice to say they are extensive and run the gambit touching everyone.

For the Southwest coast (south of Lake-O) Keeping the I-75 corridor (every gasoline station on every exit) with full fuel priority has multiple benefits. Inbound returning evacuees can “fuel up” shortly before they get home. That takes pressure off the fuel distribution/consumption inside the impact zone.

Our small community efforts have a top priority not to impede local officials and the coordination plans they have in place. That said, the average neighborhood can greatly contribute to their own self-sufficiency if they have access to fuel for portable generators and power equipment, etc.

We are wasting approximately 50% of our human resource time/effort simply chasing gas. Less time chasing gas equals more time on self sufficiency (helping neighbors); which means less drain on tight municipal assistance resources.

The direction of Irma’s approaching path compounded the use of fuel for personal vehicles. Gas stations in the SWFL area ran out well before the storm arrived. ie. beginning Sept. 4th. That effect has not yet recovered.

Thank you for all you are doing.

Warmest best.

This entry was posted in Hurricane Irma, media bias, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

248 Responses to Thank You Readers – Your Communication is Delivering Results…

1. daughnworks247 says:

#1. I hope Sundance has at least 12 kids. Can you imagine what a great dad he is?
    #2. So proud of the Treepers and the way everyone has stepped up.
    #3. The southern border of Port Everglades is about 7 blocks from where I used to live. My old girlfriends say the activity and tankers lined up looks like a Normandy landing!!!!!!!!!
    #4. I walked down the block in my sleepy little town, to the Entergy substation, before our guys left. I stocked their dashboards full of scratch chocolate chip cookies and gave them a hug and kiss.
    Somehow, I hope that hug and kiss (or the cookies) find their way to you, Sundance.
    We’re coming.

• Katie says:

It’s my belief that homemade chocolate chip cookies can cure most of what ails the world. That small gesture on your part will go a long way to energizing those guys, enabling them to pay it forward helping others.

What a simple, yet meaningful thing for you to do, daughnworks.

• BigMamaTEA says:

“Normandy landing” THAT”S what I’m waiting to hear! Keep it up Treeps, whatever you’re doing is working! (daughnworks, what a blessing to find a home-back goodie on dashboard. Nice touch!)

• beachgrammie says:

I live on Fort Lauderdale beach but also near the ocean access to Port Everglades. There are often 3-4 ships parked out in the ocean, lined up for their turn to go into the Port to unlade. But today (on my return to Fort Lauderdale) I noticed there were about 8-9 lined up waiting to go in. Hope the increase represent fuel or other supplies.

When I drove to work for the first time today since evacuating, I was behind two big National Guard trucks. I think the one in front of me was full of water, at least something that looked like that was on multiple pallets in the back of the truck.

• Sunshine says:

Yes, 12 kids at least, for sure. Imagine his contribution to the borderline genius I.Q. level, a sorely needed attribute.
      Statistics show that procreation rates increase when catastrophic events occur. It’s in our DNA, ensuring the survival of our genetic line.
      We are all quite privileged to be part and parcel of SUNDANCE’s life. A great honor, indeed.

2. carrierh says:

May I add that I emailed Trump about this site. First time in our history of communicating directly with our President. Let him know what you think, good or bad, suggestions, etc. at
    whitehouse.gov/contact#page or potus45@wh.com God always there in time of trouble and our prayers made sure God was listening!

3. Zephyrbreeze says:

Sundance’s information and it’s influence on the Feds to alter their methods and incorporate the information, reveals a very powerful principle: information can solve many of our problems IF it is the right information in the right hands of the people who can act on it for the benefit of the organization or society. Too often ‘leadership’ lacks access to crucial information, details of which then alter the decisions of the leadership.

More can be read about this in The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization by Peter Senge, an MIT researcher.

Granted, these principles do not apply to criminals in government or elsewhere. It applies to people genuinely trying to problem solve.

The 11 Laws of the Fifth Discipline

1. Today’s problems come from yesterday’s “solutions.”
    2. The harder you push, the harder the system pushes back.
    3. Behavior grows better before it grows worse.
    4. The easy way out usually leads back in.
    5. The cure can be worse than the disease.
    6. Faster is slower.
    7. Cause and effect are not closely related in time and space.
    8. Small changes can produce big results…but the areas of highest leverage are often the least obvious.
    9. You can have your cake and eat it too —but not all at once.
    10. Dividing an elephant in half does not produce two small elephants.
    11. There is no blame.

Understanding these principles helps manage chaos and complexity.

4. lastinillinois says:

Truly, what an amazing website / blog this is.

5. If any of you admins and/or folks that can get in touch with Sundance see this, please let him know that I sent an email to the TheLastRefuge@reagan.com email address. I can be down to the Peace River area with my tools and supplies by early Saturday morning. Tell him to call, text, or write back.

6. tuskyou says:

I did the same using https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact but not my first time. I’ve used this contact to thank the President and express my views. I never feel like my comments go into spam. Whenever someone I know says “Trump should blah blah blah” I provide this contact.

7. paulraven1 says:

How encouraging to know that they are listening and are open to learning. Can you imagine such a response from anybody on Obama’s team?

8. MfM says:

Amy 1212 —
    It’s crappy. I live in a neighborhood with electric fed from different areas. If the whole neighborhood is out I know we are going to be back quicker than if our tiny cul-de-sac is out. The power companies work on the big things first and then move outward. They want to get as many people up as possible. The more damage they have to deal with the slower it takes. They don’t do it from both ends because they have learned from experience that some problems aren’t seen until power is restored. Then they have to move resources back into areas they though were taken care of.

When our tiny section is out of power, people get out and see what exactly the issue is by walking the line behind our houses. When the power person in his little pickup truck comes by to check out the outage someone points directly to where the problem is and tells them they have walked the line and shown him/her the best way to wind through the back yards to know we are correct. Five days of temps in the teens seeing your neighbors Christmas lights on is pretty rough.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the power companies have a pretty good idea of what the problems are and how they are attacking them. If you look at a tree you see many limbs and branches and twigs. That’s what the power grid looks like when you think about it. The power companies start at the trunk and work outward. If they have 10 crews working in one area they keep going outward and upward doing smaller and smaller areas until no one downstream of that power is without. So if you don’t see power crews it might be awhile.

If they run into complicated tree issues or blocked roads instead of waiting for a tree crew to be available they move on to another area where they can restore people quickly. Then they have to backtrack and start over. It’s a logistical nightmare.

By the way don’t be surprised if the electric company trucks and tree company trucks aren’t even from the south east. When Sandy hit NJ and PA we had trucks from as far away as Maine, Ohio and Georgia working on getting the power back. The guys that did treework in back of our home were from northern Vermont almost into Canada. We got power back 6 days after it went out, while everyone around us had power. Luckily it was in October not the middle of the winter, or it would have been rougher.

• amy1212 says:

FPL, TECO and OUC are doing exactly what my brother described. If only a portion of a neighborhood is out, then they send in his crew to fix the fuses. Duke Energy uses a dysfunctional approach. I have been thru many major hurricanes with power outages lasting for 3 weeks plus due to major infrastructure damage. This area does NOT have that kind of damage. No downed trees. No shingles missing. No fences damaged. Neighbors 25 feet away have power in that direction. 14 in the other direction do not. We are an island. DUKE has already told us that fuses are being handled last.

• dayallaxeded says:

I can guess a possible good reason for leaving fuses until the last–making sure there are no lines that are unexpectedly live when a lineman shows up to work on it. These things have to be handled methodically or HV electricity will jump out and kill someone.

That said, I sure feel y’all’s pain on being the last little “island” in the grid. My home is on a feed that comes from one of the oldest industrial power stations in NOLA, near the Napoleon Ave. wharf. On our particular feed, there are only 2.5 block-long streets of houses (i.e., weirdly, the other sides of the same blocks are on different, much more reliable feeds), maybe 35 customers. We were out for about a week longer than all surrounding homes after Gustav and a few other events since. Thanks God for generators. Almost every time, the way we’ve finally gotten power back was by me going out and looking for a lineman in the general area and explaining the situation. They come by and if they can’t fix it right then, they get it prioritized. Those guys are alright in my book!

• Just be glad you are not dealing with Withlacoochee River Electric.In 2005 we had 4 hurricanes and was without power for more than 2 weeks. We met a bunch of their workers at a restaurant in Brooksville and asked what we had to do to get power as we had 5 horses and several cows to water and on a well. Come to find out all they had to do was flip a connection by a transformer and bang we had power. Believe me 17 days without power in the Florida heat and humidity sucked.

• beachgrammie says:

I’ve used FPL for 7 years and have been very happy with them. Also cheaper than most places I’ve lived. And very responsive. But this one is a mammoth job.

• Alligator Gar says:

NJ turned a lot of our linemen back at the border in Sandy clean up because our workers are not union but right to work. How utterly short-sighted. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I don’t care if union folks come and help in FL and I don’t think anyone else does.

I thanked a bunch of guys (EMT’s and linemen) from TN last Sat–they were staging from where I work. Emergency fuel trucks and FEMA are also staging from the parking lot at work. Help is surely on the way. Hang on folks!

God be with all affected. I lost a car and horse trailer in this. I cannot imagine losing one’s house….or loved one—or having no fuel for the generator! I’m just gutted for these poor folks. 😦

9. woohoowee says:

Cometh the hour cometh the man What fine leader you are, Sundance. (Hugs) for all 🙂

10. cyn3wulf says:

Awesome! This is one of the many reasons I love this site.

Lack of fuel is the bottleneck to recovery at the moment. I’m hearing there are shortages in North Florida as well as in Georgia. My parents, who live in Lake City, had a very difficult time getting gas for their generator. Thankfully, the power came back on yesterday right before they ran out. A cousin of mine drove through Georgia down to Central Florida. Thankfully she started with a full tank because she said all of their was no gas to be had until she was almost home. Oddly, it seems like Central Florida has not had quite the shortages that they are having North and South of us.

11. Bacall says:

Thanks a million, Sundance. My family sent fuel messages to our President through several avenues plus we prayed specifically for that assistance.

What is your second biggest material need?

12. Barry says:

Information is king. Every piece of information you (Sundance) posted on this site concerning your efforts in your area has been invaluable. Back in 2005 I was leading a team in the Operations Center at 5th Army watching news feeds and reading blog posts from those in the New Orleans area; I was looking for any information at all. At one point, a CNN reporter was standing on an overpass, filming lines of refugees, and the reporter was loudly complaining words to the effect of, “Where is the government? Where is the relief?”. I was literally yelling at the TV screen, “Tell us where you are you stupid SOB!” If he had just said, “I’m at the intersection of x and y” my team could have relayed that info to Baton Rouge forward TOC or to the USS Iwo Jima or to the Coast Guard and relief supplies would be inbound to that location within hours. Again, information is king.
    Please keep up the good work.

13. dayallaxeded says:

The most notable thing in the FEMA guy’s message was at the end, “Prayers are with you.” That verifies all that was said above. It is also something that would not have been tolerated, let alone encouraged, under the prior tyrannical regime. It is a new day in the USA. Praise God and know that, indeed, prayers are with you and all who need the help of the Holy Spirit!

14. Southern Son says:

Treepers Rock!
    In S. Ga, we were Very fortunate.
    Never lost Power.
    I have turned our AC off, and opened the windows, in Solidarity and Sympathy to All of you victory of Irma and Harvey.
    My truck only gets 12mpg, but I so wanted to bring y’all as much gas as I could.
    But thought it foolish to go down there and up some of the limited supply gettin’ back.
    And I 75 closing locked it in.
    But here, I helped my neighbors, who are not as fortunate, with water (hose to one’s house), and tree/limb removal.
    A tree fell right where they usually park, next door. This happened wed. The ground is saturated, and though pretty large, it just gave up its roots, and lay down, blocking their entrance to the house.
    Power is still out in many places in N. Fl.
    We do what we can.
    America Strong!

Press ON!

15. fleporeblog says:

Got this email from the JEA!

JEA continues our power restoration efforts, we want to keep you updated on our progress:

• Currently, approximately 18 percent of JEA customers (83,475) are without power. That’s down from 62 percent on Monday. So we are making progress – in fact, JEA’s power restoration efforts are progressing better than those being conducted by utility companies in other parts of the state.
    • We’re pleased to report we have completed 100 percent of our damage assessments and as of yesterday, we had restored power to all our hospitals and shelters as well as every public school in Duval County.
    • Our restoration efforts have been slowed by the historic flooding, which deposited 200 billion gallons of water in just a few days across our service territory, which covers some 900 square miles.
    • We’ve also been hampered by the sheer number of fallen trees: We know this is frustrating for residents in those areas without power, and to speed up this process JEA has assigned 250 workers just to clear trees from roads and power lines so that our electricity workers can get in, make repairs and restore power.

Watch the video to see drone footage of the storm damage.

• We have over 1,000 electric utility workers in the field, working to restore power – and more are on the way. We’d like to thank all the crews who have come from across the country to work alongside JEA crews to help us in this emergency.
    • One thing we sometimes hear from customers is, “I haven’t seen a JEA truck on my street or in my neighborhood.” That’s because many times, the cause of a power outage is actually a downed line or equipment failure located some distance away. So, if you don’t see a JEA crew on your street, please know that we are working to restore your power by fixing the problem at the source.
    • On the sewer side of our operations, during the storm JEA processed 600 million gallons of effluent – double the normal volume. Thirty-three pump stations were briefly offline at some point, resulting in some sewage overflows – but a major catastrophe was avoided when the backup generator at our Mandarin wastewater station failed and eight JEA employees braved the height of the storm and manually pumped fuel to keep the station going. JEA employees also took to boats to monitor facilities on the Westside, where we saw historic tidal surges.
    • As people head back to work and school and get back on the roads, please keep an eye out for our utility crews. Moving over and slowing down when you pass our crews will help us complete our repairs more quickly and ensure the safety of our employees and utility partners, who are working so hard to restore power.

Thank you once again for your patience during the restoration process. We will continue to offer updates on our progress until everyone has power.

16. So happy to hear you have received a response to your reports. Thanks to everyone who relayed the information; I hope I was able to help a little. Hope things are looking better for you today…blessings and prayers. (I’ve seen quite a few Florida license plates today here in western NC.

17. JAS says:

Spectrum/Charter and AT&T are dropping the ball. Cell and cable infrastructure are critical these days. Very few people use copper land lines anymore so these services are critical for people in dire need of basic necessities, medical help, etc. As of today both of those are down in most areas of the Central West Coast of Florida, or spotty at best.

My vehicle shows me cellular signal strength while driving around and as far as I can tell there is only on cell tower working in a radius of 7 miles as compared to 4-6 depending of the direction of travel. This means 1 to 2 bars with lots of garbled and dropped calls.

Someone on another site wrote something that struck home. to paraphrase: “cellular and cable companies charge you by the month while electric utilities charge you by what you use. Guess who needs to get you back online quickest?”

18. If you want to see the real America look at the citizens that are working together to make the best of everything. Media has returned to coverage of fake news.

19. wolfmoon1776 says:

Again, SD creates a cascade effect.

The lessons for EMP preparedness are staggering here. All fuels including human – THAT is the key. Florida is basically a model for large-scale backbone restoration. (Stole that “Florida model” thing from SD, too.) Note that rapid civilian self-service mobility restoration makes all other aspects of restoration sustainable. INFORMATION needed for self-restoration of service sector and civilian mobility is a valuable commodity, and rapidly decreases any asymmetric advantage of EMP.

Probably too late for the Nork problem, but VEHICLE EMP SENSITIVITY BYPASS at the manufacturing level should be recognized as the good thing it is, in the post-Clinton/Obama, post-intended-American-vulnerability, post-“you don’t need that preparedness stuff” world. Imagine if everybody could MacGyver their vehicles back to utility, 20 minutes after THE WORST EMP imaginable. Engine knocks a bit, and dials don’t work, but runs? Excellent. Even if only 10% of vehicles and 80% of trucks had the survival feature, it’s money in America’s bank.

(*spitting on globalists NOW*)

Energy. TRUMP WAS RIGHT.

I’m going to say it again.

ENERGY. TRUMP WAS RIGHT.

• wondering999 says:

I am glad that fuel is returning to Florida (and Texas); may I throw in another idea?
      BICYCLES. Have you ever seen a “spin” class where they had exercise bicycles with fans for wheels? I have, and I want my own. I bet a lot of Floridians without power wish they had a bike/fan also.

Back during the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960s, when people were studying fallout shelters, there were bicycles designed to power batteries for light/electricity underground. I always thought that was fascinating. I’m usually happy with natural light above ground, but I sure would like to have an attachment to a bicycle that would power a cellphone or a coffeemaker (two biggest necessities I can think of)

Then again there’s bicycle transportation. I’ve noticed that a lot of Treepers have made an unfortunate association of bicycles to former SOS John Kerry, but guys, bikes can be a lot of fun, especially in the flatlands. One of the best December vacations I ever had was with one of my kids, biking around Okefenokee Swamp park. I could have gone on forever. The weather in December was mild, the land was flat, the plants were green, and it felt like heaven (didn’t run over any alligators or snakes, that might have lowered my enthusiasm)

Bicycling in Florida might be hazardous because of so many elderly drivers with vision problems. But guys, if the roads are nearly empty, and your neighborhood isn’t infested with violent gangs, and the weather is mild… I’d want to bicycle! And might need to, if there weren’t any gasoline for cars, or if an EMP fried the cars

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Bicycles ARE great. Almost everybody has them, too. Except for an attack during winter, when they’re really not feasible for much of the US, bicycles provide a strong baseline mobility. My wife and I could get by on bicycles about 8 months of the year – maybe 9 – if we really needed to.

The thing is, during wartime, we really need an economy that powers up to ENHANCED levels quickly – not lagging at survival levels. So we really need to take the sucker punch – maybe even repeated ones – and just keep getting back on our feet almost immediately and returning to battle. People talk about “surviving EMP” and I say NO – not good enough. Not just survive – I say turn it into a mere bugle call that sounds double doom for whoever did it and all their lousy friends. So to me that means every civilian vehicle is a technical in the war. The enemy just doesn’t realize it.

• beachgrammie says:

Uh, but don’t drive your bike on a major artery like 6-lane Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale like some idiot was doing as I drove home tonight.

• G. Willikers says:

A thing that attaches to a bicycle and powers a cellphone – such a thing already exists. They’re called dynamos – do a search for “Supernova ThePlug III”. Put your bike on a trainer with the dynamo attached to your bike and you’ve got a USB power source.

As for the coffeemaker – you’re better off looking into what campers use. A small canister of propane to heat the water and a french press or pour-over cone. They even make non-electric k-cup presses – just pour hot water and press the handle to push the water through the k-cup.

20. JAS says:

I figured this out at the last minute and it works. I have two battery backups for my computers at home. One is a large one and the other is a standard size one. Shut them down before the power goes out. The you can get multiple cell phone charges out of them. I also have a 110 converter for my car. I charge those battery backup things whenever I drive.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Posted the idea before, but I want to throw it out again tonight.

There’s a story here for all alternative media sources. The MSM won’t
      ever do follow up stories about persons coming together after disasters.
      Unless there is an “evil” racism/ sexism/ zenophobic angle to supply the
      constant narrative.

We have the average Joe doing what he needs to when things hit
      the absolute skids here. Before the Government, agencies , all the
      MSM approved venues arrive. This is what the Lord has wired us to
      do in times of crisis. That’s why the MSM won’t cover it. As emmisaries
      of Satan, anything upbeat from the basic innate goodness of humanity
      has to be discounted, hidden, overlooked. What alternative media source
      would want to go into Houston, Florida, South Georgia, and show how
      people are dealing with what’s been dealt to them? The MSM is itching
      to get back to Trump bashing, dividing and conquering.

Coverage of all of the setbacks and triumphs AFTER the hurricanes
      has an audience. Who’s going to set up the cameras and microphones,
      send out the trucks to cover it? This is the best kind of coverage the
      average Joe could ever get. Anybody going to step up to the plate and
      actually do it? Even the brainwashed liberals have families toughing it
      out through the adversity. Might win a few persons over just by showing
      raw human goodness. Leave the preaching out. They’ll figure it out on
      their own eventually.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Frankly, I was going to post a comment on another thread on this idea – most of us know the “classic” economics idea of The Tragedy of the Commons: if everyone grazes their sheep in the commons, the grass dies away, and no one can graze. So, government is needed. <–This illustration is used to justify government control in many topics. But along the way, across the years, I have seen regular folks establish order and progress without government. In fact, it is what we do. We are humans. The atheist progressives simply believe we are just another animal, and will eat each other if given the chance – Lord of the Flies style.

Yes, it is a good idea to have resources built into our community. Analog communication on CB and other bands. etc.

I have a 35 amp-hour AGM battery I keep connected to a top-off trickle charger. Whenever the power goes out, I can charge everybody's phone. Radio Shack was going out of business, and I got three 12AH of the same on sale at $7/each.

A 35AH will not run a fridge, an A/C unit, or a wet/dry vac, unless you have quite a converter. But with the converter you have for your car cigarette-lighter and an AGM battery, you can run one of the current flat-screen TVs, which are all quite low power (relative to CRT, the old style), and if over-the-air TV is being broadcast, then you have TV.

You can run radios, laptops, desktops, and most other lower power appliance. For hours or days. A CB or GMRS band walkie talkies could easily be charged/operated by this power source. EMP will not affect AGM as far as I know.

Typical AGM, at good price per amp-hour, would be a "UB12350" at $60-70, a common scooter battery. Typical charger would be Schumaker 1.5 amp – keep in mind this will not charge the 35AH battery quickly – it will take over 1 day.

But for under $100, it is nice to just pull it out of the garage and power up stuff.

21. Your Tour Guide says:

Posted the idea before, but I want to throw it out again tonight.

There’s a story here for all alternative media sources. The MSM won’t
    ever do follow up stories about persons coming together after disasters.
    Unless there is an “evil” racism/ sexism/ zenophobic angle to supply the
    constant narrative.

We have the average Joe doing what he needs to when things hit
    the absolute skids here. Before the Government, agencies , all the
    MSM approved venues arrive. This is what the Lord has wired us to
    do in times of crisis. That’s why the MSM won’t cover it. As emmisaries
    of Satan, anything upbeat from the basic innate goodness of humanity
    has to be discounted, hidden, overlooked. What alternative media source
    would want to go into Houston, Florida, South Georgia, and show how
    people are dealing with what’s been dealt to them? The MSM is itching
    to get back to Trump bashing, dividing and conquering.

Coverage of all of the setbacks and triumphs AFTER the hurricanes
    has an audience. Who’s going to set up the cameras and microphones,
    send out the trucks to cover it? This is the best kind of coverage the
    average Joe could ever get. Anybody going to step up to the plate and
    actually do it? Even the brainwashed liberals have families toughing it
    out through the adversity. Might win a few persons over just by showing
    raw human goodness. Leave the preaching out. They’ll figure it out on
    their own eventually.

22. JoD says:

Hang on…Help is on the way….
    Yesterday, we traveled north on I 75 from Estero to 275, we counted 54 TANKERS heading south.
    That total is only the sections of the highway where the southbound lanes are visible from the northbound side, so the actual number is much higher.
    Also saw dozens of Publix trucks heading south. Actually, lost count of the number of trucks hauling large generators, telephone poles and picker power trucks.
    Passing through Venice, two guys were standing on an overpass, waving American flags as all the support vehicles went speeding by…..fantastic!

23. Amy1212 says:

Duke trucks parked at Local mall since 7:30pm. A duke energy employee ordered us out of the parking lot. Other power companies worked around the clock. Not Duke. If you want to fail, be like Duke. Don’t push yourself. Don’t be concerned with getting the job done. Just park your 150 trucks at the mall and ignore the thousands without power located less than 3 miles away.