Rick Rescorla – The Man Who Predicted 9/11

A man who was convinced the Twin Towers would be targeted in a terror attack led 2,700 people to safety from the World Trade Center before being killed when he went back in looking for stragglers.

Security chief Rick Rescorla carried out training drills with staff at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter to prepare them for a terror atrocity after realising the vulnerability of buildings to air terror attacks.

But after leading thousands to safety on 9/11 when his fears were realised, the 62-year-old Cornishman was last seen going back up the stairs of the South Tower before it collapsed.

Mr Rescorla survived the 1993 car bomb attack on the World Trade Center, but later became one of very few people who realised how vulnerable the skyscraper could be to a terror atrocity.

He became so convinced that the banking firm, at his insistence, started running drills every three months on how to get thousands of staff from the company’s offices – which covered 40 floors of the South Tower and a site nearby – out as quickly as possible.

Mr Rescorla’s cousin, Jon Daniels, a former pub landlord who still lives in Hayle, Cornwall, where Mr Rescorla was born and grew up, remembers all too well the events of that day, which he said are brought home again with every anniversary.

‘You learn to live with it, what happened. But obviously, being such a major event it probably will be, if it isn’t already, one of the most televised and reported events that has happened in modern times,’ Mr Daniels said.

‘Your stomach still churns when you see the towers go down. It is alive in the memory but it is brought back when you see it replayed.’

The UK suffered more losses in the September 11 2001 attacks on America than any other country apart from the US itself.

Chaos: Rick Rescorla, who was head of security for banking firm Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, is credited with saving 2,700 people by making sure they left the World Trade Centre's South Tower before it collapsed
 Chaos: Rick Rescorla, who was head of security for banking firm Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, is credited with saving 2,700 people by making sure they left the World Trade Centre’s South Tower before it collapsed.

They were among the 2,977 people killed when terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and flew them into the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon in Washington DC.

Members of about 30 of the bereaved families will attend a remembrance ceremony at the September 11 memorial garden next to the American Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London.

Another 10 or so will travel to New York for the events organised by the US authorities at Ground Zero, the former site of the World Trade Centre.

Rick Rescorla
Rick Rescorla
                  Tragic: Rick Rescorla helped save thousands of people on 9/11

Born Cyril Richard Rescorla in Cornwall with a spirit for adventure, he was a larger-than-life ‘action hero’ who wanted to join the military from an early age.  He served with the British Army, changing his name to Rick from Cyril, which he hated, on joining the Parachute Regiment.

He later served with military intelligence in Cyprus. Jobs with the Metropolitan Police and North Rhodesia Police, in what is now Zambia, followed before he emigrated to the U.S. and joined the United States Army.

As Second Lieutenant Rescorla of the 7th Cavalry, he saw action in the battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam in 1965, earning the nickname ‘Hard Core’ because of his bravery.

Memories: Families of the 67 Britons killed in the 9/11 atrocities will next week remember the moment a decade ago when their lives were torn apart.
Susan Rescorla
Wedding picture
Married: Susan Rescorla (left) at home with a picture of her husband, and together with him on their wedding day(right).

He was awarded medals including the Silver Star and a picture of him in action forms the cover of We Were Soldiers Once…And Young, a book which was later turned into the 2002 Mel Gibson film We Were Soldiers.

On returning to civilian life he went to university and had a number of jobs before joining Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, living with second wife Susan in New Jersey but often coming back to his native Cornwall to visit friends and family.

But after warning bosses about the possibly of a terror attack, fate was against him. On September 11 he should not even have been at work but on his way to his stepdaughter’s wedding.

Mr Daniels recalls his wife hearing about the attack on the radio and telephoning him.

He said: ‘I turned on the television and saw the North Tower ablaze and smoke billowing from it and just watched events unfold from there.

Memorial: Susan Rescorla at the memorial to her late husband in his home town of Hayle in Cornwall.

‘I saw the second plane smash into the South Tower. We knew Rick was not meant to be there that day. He’d only gone in because a colleague couldn’t work.

‘Rick was meant to be on his way to Europe so as events turned out he was just unlucky to have been there that day really.

Terrifying: Pedestrians run from the World Trade Centre after the terrorist attack
 Terrifying:  Pedestrians run from the World Trade Centre after the terrorist attack

We phoned his wife Susan and she confirmed that he was in there. Rick had phoned her after the planes hit and spoke to her, but from then on, we all know from looking at the television pictures that there was no hope then.

‘Early on you hold out hope that he may have gotten out somehow or been trapped but still alive in the building. But it was obviously not meant to be.’

A picture, taken after the attack started, shows Mr Rescorla, megaphone in hand, guiding staff down stairs to safety.

Workers recalled him singing patriotic songs, including a Cornish adaptation of Men of Harlech as he led them down. So well-drilled were the staff that just three, including        Mr Rescorla, died in the attack.

But he was still in the tower when it collapsed. His remains have never been found.

‘I’m very proud of Rick. That was just the way he was, prepared for any eventuality and looking after other people,’ Mr Daniels said.  ‘He would always be the last person out and make sure everyone else got out safely.’

Several memorials were erected in his honour. A statue of him, based on the cover of We Were Soldiers Once…And Young, is now on permanent display on The Walk Of Heroes at the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, the town where he trained.

And in Hayle a memorial was erected, hailing his heroics on September 11.

Happy: Susan Rescorla with husband Rick
                                 Happy: Susan Rescorla with husband Rick

‘It is good to have something in his home town that can let people know of what he did on September 11 and be very proud of him,’ Mr Daniels added.

On March 25, 2009, he was posthumously awarded the Above & Beyond Citizen Medal – the most prestigious civilian award in the United States.

The main event in the UK to commemorate the landmark anniversary will be the ceremony at London’s September 11 memorial garden, which was opened by the Princess Royal in 2003.

In what has become a poignant tradition, relatives will read out the names of the British victims of the attacks and lay a white rose for each one on a memorial stone beneath bronze plaques listing them all.

Memorial services will also be held at St Paul’s Cathedral in the morning and at Westminster Abbey in the evening.

In New York there will be a concert at the British Memorial Garden site in Hanover Square, which is just half a mile from Ground Zero and also commemorates the 67 UK victims.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033919/Twin-Towers-hero-predicted-terror-attacks-led-2-700-safety–died-went-look-stragglers.html#ixzz1XVADgMd2

See these websites/articles as well

NOTE: IT SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY TO SAY SO, HOWEVER: NO COMMENTS ABOUT 9/11 CONSPIRACY THEORIES WILL BE ALLOWED HERE TODAY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

About WeeWeed

Sarcastic cat herder extraordinaire. And an angel.
This entry was posted in Sept 11. Bookmark the permalink.

169 Responses to Rick Rescorla – The Man Who Predicted 9/11

1. Anon Person says:

NOTE:
    Earlier in 2001, a group of managers were briefed by a F-300 consulting team and their IT Security Consulting Practice Director. One of the issues brought up was the hazard of having data centers and staff located in these buildings. It was stated that the likelihood of another attack needed to be realistically addressed with proper Disaster Recovery, Switch over and Evacuation procedures. The speaker stated given the symbolic nature the WTC towers offered to Islamic Terrorists it was a realistic threat that needed to be addressed.

2. TheLastDemocrat says:

The terrorist attack of 9-11 was terrible.
    To add insult to injury, we can look back and see we set ourselves up for it, then we failed to take it for what it was.

On top of all of that, we also were treated to the terrible Flight 93 “memorial:” http://www.crescentofbetrayal.com/

3. How absolutely wonderful and yet tragic this story was to read. Thank you.

Yet, the coldest of anger returns every year when I see these photos. (Effers!!!!!)

4. Tom R says:

Rick Rescorla was the infantryman in the photo used for the original book cover of We Were Soldiers Once…and Young.

5. Convert says:

Thank you for the beautiful tribute to this amazing fellow, and also banning the conspiracy theories. Nothing discredits a site like this, ahem, any quicker than a bunch of outrageous conspiracy mongering; it’s one of the main reasons professional trolls use it as a tactic….

6. treehouseron says:

It’s a shame people like this are taken from us, can you imagine there was anybody better at getting those people down those steps? Put it into perspective.

2700 people.

How many people live in your house? He saved all those.

How many people live on your block? He saved all those.

How many people live in your neighborhood? He saved everyone of those people.

How many people live within a mile of your house? He was working on saving all those when the building collapsed.

I mean there’s heroes, and then there’s HEROES

7. Deb says:

I was a young mother in 2001. My first child was 9 months old, and I had just found out my second child was on the way. I watched 9/11 unfold on the Today Show in the living room of our family housing apartment on campus. My husband and I were college students, we had just returned New York City. On August 22 I had been on top of the World Trade Center on the observation deck. We had tried to have lunch at Windows on the World, but we were not properly dressed. We also bought tickets in discount ticket booth in the lobby for a Broadway play.

When I saw the second plane fly into the tower, I knew it was an attack. I remembered the 1993 attack, even though I had only been 12 years old at the time, and I knew it was terrorism. The faces of all those people I had seen when we were visiting NYC flashed in my mind. Then seeing the images of people jumping from the towers, the unbelievable flames and smoke, the shock and horror of all the witnesses in the streets. I watched the towers collapse live on tv, and I knew I was witnessing the death of thousands of people.

Nothing can ever be the same after something like that. The entire world changes in an instant. I wept for the dead, I wept for their families, and I wept for our country. But I also wept for my children, I knew my infant son and my unborn son would grow up in a much different world than I had grown up in, and I mourned the loss of innocence and safety in my beloved America.

• This is a most eleoquent comment. Very well stated.

• Mongoose says:

When this happened, I had just gotten up as it was 3 hrs earlier in California. Turned on the TV to see the second plane hit. I immediately did a quick calculation in my head of the number of people who would probably be at work that time of day in NYC and thought the number would be catastrophically in the tens of thousands. Just how the number was so low, relatively speaking, I’ll never understand. I thought .. “Well, bankers hours I guess.” But I also think there was more at work to prevent a larger loss of life. I mean, two hundred plus floors of offices in two towers (just in NYC), employees of all kinds, meetings, etc. I am still amazed the loss was not much greater. God bless people like Rick and those First Responders, many of whom are still paying a price for their bravery in a time of need. To our Congress: These people are veterans also. Get them the medical care they need. NOW! PDQ!

8. I appreciate that we can still hear about these amazing stories instead of being caught up in the fear that 9/11 produced. Thank you for sharing this!

9. calbear84 says:

Lawrence Wright’s “The Looming Tower” is a must-read on this subject. My prayers are with the families who lost their loved ones both in the US and Libya.

10. Sayit2016 says:

I hate everything about 9-11….but out of respect I force myself to watch the memorials. The American killed in those attacks deserve being remembered. I had colleagues murdered that day. I kept a fax from 8:12 AM – that said “thanks for the updated numbers will call after the meeting- fingers crossed !” only to never hear from him again. I will never be ok with anything about that terrible day. It is strange, every year since that day, I do not need to look at the calendar I feel it coming every year, and it breaks my heart all over again.

• calbear84 says:

Heartbreaking is about the only way to describe it. Maddening too because the warnings were ignored, and frustrating because some fools still don’t want to admit the threat continues. Yes 9th circuit judges I’m thinking of you!

• frangelica1 says:

Sayit 2016 I feel the same way. When you had friends or family killed during 9/11 you are never the same afterwards. It has become so personal for people like us. You can feel the dread and pain coming as the 9/11 date approaches. Maybe I am even more highly emotional this year. Yesterday, I unfortunately found out that an ex military friend of mine, who was so accomplished in everything he did, recently committed suicide and this, combined with the 9/11 anniversary, has really set me on an emotional roller coaster the last couple of days.

We will never forget!

• Sayit2016 says:

Forgetting was never even a possibility…not for you not for me….. It is personal and it runs deep. I am so so sorry for the loss of your friend…I have been there as well and it just permeates your being… the ” why” of it. Thinking what they might have been thinking….the circle of thoughts that are on an endless loop in your brain….the tears that won’t stop falling… I have no answers or solutions – all I can pray is ” God you know”……

11. Dehbashi says:

It is a hard day for me to talk about. Seeing the second plane crashing on live TV at school at age 15 was rough. Seeing the pain of people I knew especially with their loved ones was rougher. The future and how the US government handled everything afterwards was worst. I sometimes wish I was having a nightmare so that none of this was not real. However we know it’s not and we have to move and take the next step

• zephyrbreeze says:

My husbands friend was the co-pilot on the second plane, Michael Horrocks. Ex military, tall handsome, college quarterback, young family. We attended his memorial service. Massive security. We dedicated a bomb to him to be dropped on terrorists. Awesome photo. Cold comfort.

12. Tejas Rob says:

He wasn’t the only one. Be prepared to be very angry if you watch this.

• Sayit2016 says:

Ice Cold Anger…..politicking, jealousy, incompetence, refusal to see what is right in front of you FBI-Bill Clinton’s refusal to take Osama when he was offered several times and Barbara Bodine…..= 911

My heart goes out tot he O’Neill family– he was a white hat in the true definition.

• Carolina Girl says:

I watched “The Man Who Knew” just last year. I try to learn something new about the attack, especially about heroic Americans, most years when September 11 occurs again. I agree with the young person above who mentioned how badly things were handled by the government after 9/11. Visas still aren’t tracked (recommendation to track Visa recipients was in 9/11 Commission report) although I believe President Trump is pushing for that. The American people are spied on 24/7, but we let terrorists and who knows who enter our country at will. Despicable.

“The Man Who Knew” is a really good film. Be prepared to be angry at the incompetence of the FBI and others.

• wtd says:

The fury that”Gorelicks wall” triggered was bad enough…but blocking intel efforts which could have prevented 9/11 due to career egos is beyond reprehensible..

Unbelievable, but apparently egos played a part in undermining extremely revealing efforts by “The Man Who Knew”, that FrontLine documentary which aired on 10/3/2002 about FBI agent, John O’Neill. The night before John O’Neill died, he directly said to Jerry Hauer, “We’re due, and we’re due for something big.”

NARRATOR: His name was John O’Neill. And long before the world knew about Osama bin Laden, FBI agent O’Neill was obsessed with him….soon

But as this Frontline documentary reveals, the egos of at least two individuals…one identified as FBI agent, Tom Pickard and another as Ambassador Barbara Bodine – each did all he/she could to undermine O’Neill’s intensely focused efforts.

After watching this documentary and carefully/simultaneously reading the documentary’s transcript as it played, one cannot help but wonder about the subsequent career path of those two ego-driven individuals. Do they remain active in our government’s intel/diplomatic channels? It is clear that some lessons are never learned since Jamie Gorelick remains as one of Jared Trump’s trusted attorneys. If either Pickard or Bodine remain in sensitive positions …is it any wonder our nation’s intel remains in decline as regards to the threats posed by Islam?

13. youme says:

9-11 Victim Kevin Cosgrove final moments 911 call

14. cycle1 says:

Listening to Hannity and he just, appropriately, played this song:

15. frank field says:

Koran obeying muslims.

16. frank field says:

Koran obeying muslims.

17. wodiej says:

I am so proud to be an American citizen and display our flag from my front porch. This brave and proud man is one of the reasons.

• Southern Son says:

THIS!, Brave and Proud American, is the Perfect Example of what an Immigrant should strive to be.
      He showed his Appreciation, for the Privilege, of being Allowed to be a Citizen.
      No Immigrant is Required to Serve in the Military. But he Proved his Desire to Be an American, by enlisting and risking his life.
      In the end, He Gave All, as a Civilian.
      Salute!!

18. Beverly says:

My doctor, whose office is just a few blocks away, told this story. [Hope a long post is okay. I will do it in four parts.]

A Report from the Forgotten Hospital at Ground Zero.

We had just gotten back to NYC after a one-week vacation and I had arrived early at my clinic to catch up on paper work before the arrival of patients. My wife, an ob/gyn who I share clinic space with, called to tell me that a plane had just crashed into the WTC. I dropped what I was doing and ran to NYU Downtown hospital, where I work as an emergency physician. The hospital is only a few blocks away form my clinic, a brisk seven-minute walk or so, and about six or so blocks form the towers of the WTC. We live only about ½ mile from ground zero, and a twenty minutes walk to the hospital from home. I considered running to the crash but decided against it.
    The tower was clearly burning, and small Fragments, like pieces of tin foil, were floating in the upper sky and glistening in the bright morning sunlight. An otherwise perfect morning, dry, clear and calm with crystal blue skies that would soon turn black-gray. those fragments were paper blown out of the offices now floating in the breeze. Seeing the tower burn, nearly a ¼ mile in the sky, left me thinking that this was not going to be fun. Must have been some idiot in a single engine prop who lost control and slammed into the top floors. Yet, that’s too much fire and smoke involving too many floors of the building. This was not the first mass casualty incident, and as emergency physicians we are trained to deal with this. My mind raced. People falling down stairwells filled with smoke. People will trample over themselves in a panic. Glass, flying debris, anxiety, death and destruction, mangled and burned people, eye injuries. Hospitals run drills involving similar scenarios and the hospital had handled the first WTC bombing. All in a day’s work, no big deal really. We did it before, will do it again. Or so it seemed.
    By about 9 am, the worst trauma cases had arrived, and the place was awash with lights and sirens. The staff was setting up a second emergency room in the adjacent cafeteria and that would be my post. Casualties were mounting. Chaos was forming. Somehow we managed to pull it together and the entire hospital was there to help, sort of an “all hands on deck” phenomenon. This had been rehearsed during the drills. It was brought to our attention that it was a commercial airliner full of passengers and jet fuel that had hit the tower. That explained the intensity and quantity of smoke and fire. Next thing there was a low rumbling noise and a second explosion, followed by more chaos. My God, we must be under attack and, a rumor that airliners also hit the Pentagon and the Sears tower in Chicago was circulated along with some news of a downed jet somewhere in Pennsylvania. The situation took on a new dimension not anticipated in any scenario or drill. An act of war? Expect even more critical injuries, and more walking wounded. Do we have enough resource, this little community hospital? It had dealt well with the first WTC explosion in 1993 — but two WTC explosions, in separate towers and two airliner crashes almost
    simultaneously? Everyone there was shaken, and jumpy. Any low frequency noise, and everyone panics thinking of another attack. I had to learn some new tricks, fast. Volunteers came from everywhere with all sorts of different backgrounds to help. My capacity at that time was similar to that of an air traffic controller. Identify the most serious patients, stabilize and enlist someone to continue their care. This is what ER docs do best. I randomly selected an attending physician and a resident to go around and be the “candy man”. They were to hold and dispense narcotics and sedatives, and to please be liberal with them. Ironically, the attending physician who I assigned and who i had just met for the first time, runs a methadone program affiliated with the hospital. Many people from the community came forward to volunteer their services. They were used as gofers, escorts, guards and almost any thing else. Nurses, medical students, doctors, and EMT’s from various institutions presented to help and the team effort was phenomenal. [cont.]

19. Beverly says:

Forgotten Hospital, Part 2

As casualties mounted, the cafeteria was overwhelmed with patients and a courtyard adjacent to the cafeteria was opened to hold otherwise stable patients. We put out chairs and oxygen tanks and most of the walking wounded and smoke inhalation patients went there while awaiting further evaluation
    and treatment. The cafeteria was quickly divided into sections and different triage areas, the ophthalmologist opened the clinic upstairs. All of the clinics were made available and patients were sent there prior to discharge from the hospital. Seriously injured patients were sent to the main emergency department or to the operating room. The sound of an airliner flying that fast and that low has an unnatural and unusual sound to it, but its still recognizable for what it is. But, How can the mind conceive of what a half of a mile of a concrete, steel and glass should sound like when it collapses upon itself and vaporizes? There it was again, that low rumbling noise, but this time, much louder and it seemed much closer.
    The building shook and a cloud of smoke and dust were engulfing the hospital. …
    In a flash, many things happened. The patients and staff in the courtyard naturally panicked, and some who had lower extremity injuries tried to run, walk or crawl. “All hands on deck” quickly turned into “every man for themselves”. Staff ran in all directions, people started to scream, and trample upon themselves trying to escape. Terror in the belief that that a bomb had been dropped. Smoke and dust were everywhere and the air was unbreathable with visibility reduced to 10 feet. Thoughts of nuclear weapons or missile attacks were expressed.
    It seemed to us at the time that this was a well thought out, bankrolled, rehearsed and executed plan to hijack large fully fueled commercial airliners, crash them kamikaze style into military, political and Financial targets, and then follow it up with secondary targets on hospitals in close proximity to the attack site knowing that large numbers people and most medical resource will concentrate there. As a middle-aged man with young children I no longer perceive myself as the immortal young man expendable to a cause. PLEASE GOD LET ME OUT OF HERE AND LET ME HOLD MY FAMILY ONE LAST TIME BEFORE I DIE.
    As the smoke cleared, new victims now presented encased in a layers of soot and dust, looking like what must have been the last day of Pompeii. Many of
    the new casualties were emotionally distraught, yet manifesting behaviors raging from catatonic to hysterical. Some of the more stoic ones quickly
    decompensated. It was explained that the WTC was now gone, those magnificent towers had collapsed. No bomb was dropped. The hospital was now on emergency generator, the water system may be compromised, and the phones were overwhelmed and not working, Concerns of bio terrorism and chemical warfare were voiced. Comparisons were made to Pearl Harbor. A quick calculation of the number of dead could conceivably meet those of the entire Vietnam War.
    Four hours later the flow of injured ebbed to a trickle, an ominous sign that very few survived. No one had a clue that the office of Emergency Management, the nerve center of rescue operations, was wiped out. Rescue personnel were streaming in from around the area and no one to direct or coordinate the operation. The top brass and leadership of the fire, police, emergency medical crews and rescue personnel was obliterated. The mayor had escaped by a hair.
    How many casualties did we treat in those first few hours? 100-200-300, it’s a blur, and little was captured on paper. Patients had to be moved in and out as quickly and safely as possible. When faced with such an avalanche of casualties no serious attempts to register patients and generate charts can be made. Information was collected as patients were discharged. A point was reached where it was unsafe to discharge people. We are too close to ground zero and there was no way in or out of the area. Where were they going to go, and how would they get there? More buildings could collapse. So many people just hung out until some arrangements could be made to insure their safety. Order was eventually restored and things again ran smoothly. We now had more medical and support staff than patents. The trauma cases were out of the OR and doing well.
    [cont.]

20. Beverly says:

Forgotten Hospital, Part 3:
    A curious thing started to happen. Like a Pavlov’s dog, I experienced a wave of terror and panic when hearing a low frequency noise. It is now over 72 hours later, and I still have a visceral reaction to this noise. On the way home my wife joined me and my brother in law, a pediatrician who had been with me in the cafeteria tending the wounded, and we stopped off in a bar to belt down a drink and watch the news before going home for dinner and a shower. No mention of our hospital. All the news was from other institutions. What is wrong here? NYU Downtown (a.k.a. Beekman Downtown) hospital had handled most of the casualties from the first WTC bombing. We had numerous casualties, had been involved in not just caring for the victims but also in helping with rescue efforts, and were from the start performed admirably while under fire. No one had died and our general and orthopedic surgeons performed heroically as did the entire medical and ancillary staff while facing terror and panic.
    Absolutely no mention of our situation. Hey, we are just six blocks from the site and amidst danger and adversity, still performed and attended to the stricken. That evening the hospital was quiet. An Eerie calm, and surreal feeling fell upon the area. The police gave me a ride back to the hospital as far as they could before I had to walk the rest of the way because various military and rescue apparatus blocked the roads. The air was thick with smog and dust
    and smoke, and walking kicked up a cloud of gray dust. Emergency workers and national guardsmen were scattered everywhere. The sight of military vehicles made the impression that this was a war Zone. This vibrant area, the money capital of the world had been transformed into what a friend of mine
    referred to as “a somber bizarre eerie surrealistic nightmare”. Dust, paper and shoes were scattered everywhere. Never have I seen so much paper. All
    of corporate America spewed out on the street. City Hall, just around the corner from the hospital, had been evacuated.
    Not much had happened since leaving the hospital earlier that day. Still no mention of what we had experienced as the hospital at ground zero. The press and the media didn’t even know we existed. Maybe the area is sealed off and they can’t see us. Rescue crews were still going strong, pumped up by adrenaline, although they were now starting to comprise the largest proportion of the injured. I went home before midnight, stayed up a few hours glued to the TV screen and was back early that morning. Very few survivors so far, and now EMS crews were exhausted and injuries due to fatigue were expected. Ancillary staff along with doctors, nurses and PA’s were dispatched to the site and helped ferry supplies and medications. An orthopedic surgeon was sent in case amputations on those trapped in the rubble was needed.
    That afternoon I briefly left the hospital with some colleagues to survey the attack site. As we walked west along empty streets, dust, paper, shells of buses and cars, trashed rescue vehicles and those ubiquitous shoes littered the scene. In front of what had been one of the Towers was the triage medical team. A lot of doctors and nurses and other health care workers standing around with nothing to do. Many rescue workers standing there waiting. Many new shiny heavy rescue apparatus from surrounding communities who had arrived to help but also had nothing to do. Dogs were used to listen and sniff for survivors. Some of the rescue workers who were first on the scene did survive, but most of them had perished. A temporary morgue was established at One Liberty Plaza located just across the street from ground zero. This building, just a few hours ago a sleek new modern steel and black glass skyscraper, now just a shell, covered in dust and with broken glass everywhere. One of the doctors informed us that few bodies were recovered, only parts of bodies. Some body fragments were recovered with wallets intact making identification easier. A team of building engineers were inspecting compromised buildings in the area, no doubt some of the buildings will need to be demolished once the area is secured. The hospital was still on emergency generators, and was without communications. Everyday operations such as paging had to be done by overhead PA or by messenger. [cont.]

21. Beverly says:

Forgotten Hospital, Part 4 [last one]

The only phones that worked were cell phones carried by staff. The entire downtown area was without electricity or water. People had to evacuate their homes. No one went anywhere without ID, and if you had no business being downtown you were asked, nicely, to leave. Still, no mention of what had happened to our hospital and the situation we were in. No mention to those of us who held fast and did not abandon ship while under attack.
    Later that day I treated a firefighter who was brought in after he collapsed. The nurses had quickly gathered around to perform their usual duties of placing him on monitors and starting intravenous lines. As I approached him, he appeared to be a middle aged man in excellent physical condition with an apparent blank stare and a sense of indifference. I ordered the staff to cease resuscitation efforts after noting that the man had very normal vital signs and was in otherwise in no distress. Further questioning revealed that he was the only one of his company of firefighters to be left alive. He had been working feverishly
    for 36 or so hours without a break trying to recover his fallen comrades.
    Now convoys of trucks are hauling debris from the site. Flatbed trucks with twisted mangled steel girders strapped on to them. More fires and building collapses. More injured rescue personnel, candlelight vigils and the news media holding out hopes of survivors. Photos with the names of those still missing. Let us grieve and mourn.

Anthony P Azar MD FACEP
    Attending Physician
    Emergency Department.
    NYU Downtown Hospital
    Thanks to Dr Howard Beaton, chief or surgery and emergency medicine; Dr Bruce Logan director of medicine and vice president of the hospital. Dr David Goldschmidt and Dr Antonio Dajer, director and associate director of emergency service. All the staff and surgeons at Seaport orthopedics who dropped all they were doing to attend to those stricken and who help extricate people from the ruins. Ms. Mary Lyke, nurse manager of emergency services who coordinated the flow in the main department. Dr Deborah Sonneblick who compromised her own safety to help those trapped in the ruins. Ms Stacy Hughes, PA, who did everything and never left the scene. Mr. Steve Vince RN who transformed the cafeteria into a top-notch trauma and emergency center. Mr. Leonard Aubery, CEO of our little forgotten hospital who provided all the resource. TO the entire medical, paramedical, nursing and ancillary staff, the FDNY, NYPD, corrections officers, housing police sanitation workers and those of other communities who stood and delivered, my respect and admiration.
    Never forget.

• Curry Worsham says:

Thank you. That is remarkable. It appears he wrote most of that 72 hours after the attack. I had not heard that perspective.

• Beverly says:

He did, and it was fresh in his mind — also, we were still under military command downtown. Out-of-towners don’t know, because the Mediots and government tried to cover it up/keep it off the air/suppress coverage, how long the ordeal lasted. For months our downtown was lit with a brilliant arctic glare from the giant Klieg lights they used to light up the Pile (later The Pit) and kept excavating….searching…. and the fires burned and smoldered for months. Whenever the wind came out of the south, you could smell it. An old Jew, survivor of the concentration camps, said, “It smells like Auschwitz,” the human remains burning.

There was, for instance, much ballyhoo when the NY Stock Exchange reopened the Monday after — what they didn’t tell you was that all of Wall Street was running off of extension cords! they had huge power cables snaking through the streets of the Financial District for weeks, running off of giant generators in tractor-trailer trucks parked under the FDR Drive. The implosions of all the skyscrapers and surrounding buildings had also broken the downtown water mains; the only water they could put on the fires had to be pumped from the Hudson River by fireboats, through a system of hoses laid in the streets, to the site.

And, another HUGE untold story was the enormous sea-lift that day: Tugboats and ferries self-organized to evacuate ~500,000 people stranded when the bridges and tunnels were shut down: a bigger evacuation than Dunkirk! This is a very brief video about it narrated by Tom Hanks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOrzF7B2Kg

• JC says:

Just got to your Doctor’s Story and “Boatlift” – thank you so very much for posting these amazing and inspiring tributes to all Americans directly involved in the 9/11 tragedy. I love this country.

22. georgiafl says:

Saudis working for Saudi Arabia government were practicing for 9/11 terrorist attack in 1999.

23. Jimmy Jack says:

Rick Rescola is a case study in many Emergency Management classes. I studied about him in grad classes at NYC’s John Jay. I don’t have anything to link to, but if you can look those case studies up they are excellent. His evacuation tactics and planning strategies were outstanding. He was right to ignore the calls to stay put – taking decisive action to save your self can’t be overstated. John O’Neill is also often studied for the same reasons.

24. Mr. T. says:

For The Record, his name is Col. C. Richard Rescorla – U.S. Army(Retired). Pick up the book, We Were Soldiers Once…..And Young. That cover photo is Rick, during the battle at Ia Drang, November 1965. Col. Rescorla was a True American Patriot.

Col. Rescorla deserves no less than The Presidential Medal of Freedom, something that Bush 43 and Obama didn’t have the decency to do. I hope that President Trump does it and presents it to Mrs. Rescorla. It won’t bring Col. Rescorla back, but it will help to properly pay homage to a brave and noble man who gave his life to help and protect others.

• Mr. T. says:

When I look at the list of recipients for the Presidential Medal of Freedom, it really sickens me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom_recipients

Col. C. Richard Rescorla – U.S. Army(Retired), who made the ultimate sacrifice with the loss of his own life by going into Tower 2 one last time to make sure no man was left behind, who ordered and assisted over 2700 occupants of Tower 2 and Tower 5 to safety, who are alive today because of his actions, deserves no less than to posthumously be awarded The Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction, for his heroic actions on September 11th, 2001. I am ashamed of two former presidents for failing to recognize Col. Rescorla for his heroic actions on that fateful day. Let’s hope that President Trump doesn’t make that same shameful mistake.