We Just Need To Ignore The Rain

fog

We moved into our dream home, a small log cabin nestled in the woods on the side of a Georgia ridge in December of 2001, my husband and I. This period was one of the darkest days of our lives, and we were at a low point that still hurts to think about. It was a very tough and challenging time for me professionally, and our family was getting hit with multiple major crises.

I’ve never been a take a walk in the rain kind of gal, but for some reason, I always wanted to be. I guess because we all know about those rose colored glasses I can’t seem to break, even after almost 60 years on this earth. I am a romantic, among many other things.

Shortly after moving in to the cabin, my feelings about the rain started to change. I had always hated rainy days, but here in the woods on the steep side of the ridge, the rain sounds beautiful falling through the leaves, and it almost always brings fog that surrounds the cabin. The backside of the cabin faces the down slope and you can sit on the porch and be in the middle of the soft grey blue cloud. It’s one of the most peaceful experiences I have ever had.

The forest is so dense you can’t see the road, let alone a sunset, during the summer, unless you stand at the top of the driveway for just a glimpse. My husband and I used to bundle up that December and sit out on the porch to watch the spectacular sunsets, almost every night. We would be out at the store, and one of us would look at the time and we would rush home. If guests were over, we insisted they put their coats on to look at “our” sunset.

In a word, we took time to experience nature, rather than just live in it. To be fair, that’s mostly a description of me. My husband works outside and will never work in a building. He takes moments every day to enjoy sunrises and sunsets and eagles flying over the river. But even he probably didn’t much enjoy the fog.

Yesterday I had three of my grandchildren here. Conner, the two year old future mountain climber and already professional acrobat, had spent the night. His older brother and sister were very upset to be left at home, even though it wasn’t their turn. Their grandfather promised them a big surprise was waiting for them here.

Rain-4When they arrived yesterday, in the middle of a terrible rainstorm, the first thing Sadie (5 going on 30) asked was where her surprise was. I tried to get her to play a guessing game, but she was relentless. She always is. So I took her to the door and showed her the new bigger swimming pool I had found for them on sale.

She was excited and crestfallen at the same time, seeing the new pool through the rain falling. She struggled for a few minutes, anxiously watching the pool through the downpour, her usually lively mood a little serious.

Not five minutes later, she came to me with the answer, as the child always, always does. Our Sadie is a top rate problem solver, and never stays down. She said “Pipi, we just have to ignore the rain.”

Then she made her pitch. Why should a little rain stop their fun in the water? What difference would it make? No reason at all to allow the weather to stop the fun and trap us all inside and ruin our day.

Sadie and Mason April14 2014I smiled, because I had known that was what she would come back with. Pipi has let her play in the rain since she was barely old enough to stand and stick her chubby little foot out of the porch and feel the drops the first time.

But her earnest expression and her lively body language, arms out, palms up, literally willing me to believe, along with that one eloquent sentence, made me think about it all day.

We just have to ignore the rain.

I am not very good at ignoring the storms. Not the weather ones. Not the life ones. I am not very good at always looking for joy, even on the darkest days. I am not very good at thanking God for life’s storms. In the course of our lives here at the cabin, I lost my initial joy at the rain and fog and lost myself in fear of falling trees and lightning strikes.

Jesus emphasized to us, in word and deeds, to listen to the children, to emulate them. Mountains of books and commentaries have been written analyzing just exactly what he meant. I won’t try here, but I do think that keeping ourselves open to joy in the middle of the rain is probably one of the things he had in mind.

To reject joy is to reject the Father, from whom all joy comes. Happiness is fleeting and nice, but not joy. Joy is the supernova of human emotion, the bright and blinding flash that we can open ourselves to, but not really ever initiate. It is to be experienced, not created.

And if you can’t be open to joy in the rain and storms, you are probably going to miss most of the opportunities to experience it.

Oh yeah, and joy should be shared.

Thank you Sadie, for sharing the joy, and reminding me to work on my attitude about storms.

One last afterthought here. Those dark times we went through when we first moved here were made much more bearable by the joy we allowed ourselves to find here. And those dark times gave me some very important personal strengths and our family eventually came out a lot tougher.

And the sun shined brighter than ever one day.

If you are interested in some reading that might help you remember to thank God in the middle of life’s storms, I recommend Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence by Jean Baptist Saint-Jure.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

274 Responses to We Just Need To Ignore The Rain

1. The Boss says:

Time to walk the dog in the rain. I like it more than the dog. Go figure.

2. Brenda Purington says:

Thank you for the encouragement. I live in a cabin in the woods and am presently struggling to regain my joy in the Lord amidst the seemingly unrelenting ugliness of the world.

1 Peter 1:8 (ESV) Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory,

3. mireilleg says:

Can my dog and I just move in with you for a while? I need to have a “sunset” or a “fog” moment.

4. DebbieUK says:

It sounds like a wonderful place .i think the Highlands of Scotland are probably the nearest we have to your description.Living in overcrowded London ,it makes me yearn for peace and quiet.

5. MaineCoon says:

Psalms 30: 4-5

4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints,
    and give thanks to his holy name.[b]
    5 For his anger is but for a moment,
    and his favor is for a lifetime.[c]
    Weeping may tarry for the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.

6. Rex says:

The quiet woods are a great spot to recharge your batteries, (physical and spiritual) aren’t they?
    We’re happy you have such a place.

• mdaush says:

Our little piece of heaven is in the foothills of the Ozarks overlooking a beautiful lake. We had an eagle visit the other day. Even my wife who can never sit still is able to rest there.

7. A lovely read on on this very early Saturday morning. I for one enjoy the rain here in the hills of southern Mississippi. but I don’t like getting wet! Usually enjoy the sounds of our storms from the
    back porch with a cup of tea.

• the phoenix says:

Hi Jesus Bortoni,

I don’t mind getting wet. That said, I attract lightning … * grin *

• paulyho39 says:

I just feel the need to comment here, having lived in a “rainy” place for a number of years…the lower mainland of B.C. Vancouver area…where we had a lot of rain..no forests but rain. And, how I learned to love the rain…and miss it so now that I am in the Phoenix area with my daughter. I love the lessons on ‘joy”…and am thankful for the thoughts today!

8. magagirl says:

“Being children you will have no cares: children quickly forget what troubles them and return to their games. With abandonment, therefore, you will not have to worry, since you will rest in the Father”
    St. Josemaria Escriva

9. PowerCord says:

Not in the mountains, but in the desert I always welcomed what little rain we got. Rain dampens sound but enlightens the sound of life. We never under-appreciated that part.

10. dna1993blog says:

My mantra for this year has been “Count it all joy!’ I love to listen to the song of the same name by BB and Ce Ce Wyman. I wish I knew how to embed a video. Thanks so much for the good cry this morning, Menagerie. You are truly a gift.

11. Stoobie says:

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Thank you for starting my day with a smile.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you for such a fine compliment.

• average Joe says:

I remember when my grandson was little,I told him not stand in a puddle cause he would get his shoes wet, then he said ,,,while standing in it,get in it with me papa,and you know i did.😊

• allhail2 says:

I loved this. The description is absolutely, spot on perfect. I came up to our place in WNC last night and it was raining, lightly. Quick dinner then a cup of coffee and sit out on the porch to watch and listen to water fall through the leaves. The clarity you receive within the sound is indescribable. It can only be experienced to be understood.

Honestly, hoping it rains again tonight for an encore reading session.

12. Piper says:

Funny thing- ironic, I guess-

I came to the treehouse this morning after watching Mr Mudd, of the deep state- now a CNN commentator, threatening outright on live tv that they are going ” to kill this guy”.

I am so angry- angry to the point of taking matters into my own hands- and that’s what Satan wants- for us to react in a blind fury, to lose all sense of teaching, to not rely on the Lord for our wellbeing.

I came to the treehouse to see if Sundance had commented on the huge story of the outright threat to our President, to get some cold anger calmness, and this is the top article!

It’s crazy, in a good way, how the Lord gives you just what you need at the exact moment you need it.

Thanks for the reminder!
    I will be still, and know that HE is God. He knows the beginning from the end, He has put His hand upon our President, and will direct his, and my, path.

I WILL find joy in the rain, and I thank you so very much for this article!!!

• tinkerthinker2 says:

You might not get what you wa nt, but if you try sometimes… you get hat you need!

• the phoenix says:

Hi Piper,

There’s another forum where I would get into “debates” with cantankerous leftists. There are many news articles that I could worry about. So much fake drama, and for what?

I’ve been reaching the conclusion that a better way for me to fight the culture wars and help Make America Great Again is by focusing on creating abstract art and putting it out there in the world … it’s a more productive use of my time, and far more peaceful and enjoyable. That, and praying.

Meanwhile, the treehouse here is indeed a haven in many ways, and I’m so glad I was led here and found a friendly branch with everyone here.

• Minnie says:

Amen 🙏

Piper, we’re all in this together ❤️

13. Prettyplease says:

“Joy is serious business of heaven.”
    ~ C.S. Lewis

I suspected that there were a number of fellow North Georgia ridge runners here at the treehouse. I live 10 minutes away from Amicalola Falls. The rest of my family are Flatlanders down on the coast, but I would not trade my mountains for anything. We also moved this way in 2001. Six months after getting here, the bottom dropped out of our world too. I think the best way to express it is that we were collateral damage to 9/11. It was 10 long, hard years before we were back on an even keel. There were a lot of lessons in faith and trusting in the Lord to bring us through. I am not sure how I found my way to the treehouse. It has been a safe haven and a beacon of light and truth in a very dark world. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing me with shelter and sustenance. May God bless and keep the treehouse, the treepers and Sundance!

• Judith says:

• the phoenix says:

Wow, Prettyplease …

You and Menagerie feel like kindred spirits, and I’m sure as I wander through the comments on this post I’ll find many more.

Am currently not living way out in the country as I would like, am currently facing storms, the future is uncertain, … and I will do the best I can to pray and follow where the Lord leads, enjoying and appreciating the beautiful simplicity of the gifts He provides every day.

Thank you for being an inspiration too.

• Prettyplease says:

Phoenix, I have a heart for those who are struggling, having been there myself. Sending prayers on your behalf. Keep us posted on how things are going with you and feel free to reach out as the need arises. May God give you a peace that is beyond all understanding. May He be a buffer and a shelter in the storms. In Jesus name, amen.

• piper567 says:

Phoenix,
        one of wisest things I learned from my Mother is this:
        Don’t get ahead of the Lord.
        hope this is a bit of help.
        Bless you as follow Him, for He will bless you in return.

• Menagerie says:

I love that. Don’t get ahead of the Lord. I am going to remember that forever. I might paint a sign featuring that quote. Thank you!

• Bakokitty says:

Piper, Thank you for sharing your mother’s wisdom, I like Menagerie, am going to remember that wonderful quote.

• piper567 says:

Bakokitty…I have been around the block, and I think it was only ab 15 yrs ago that I realized that every major decision I had made that turned out to be unproductive or just plain wrong was exactly that I had gotten ahead of the Lord.That is when I remembered my Mother sying this to me when I was much younger.
            Now, I intentionally try and remember this little gem.
            Sometimes it takes a while to absorb wisdom in a way that effects the way one lives day-to-day.

• Bakokitty says:

Piper, sorry for my late response. I have this week mulled over your comment that ” I had gotten ahead of the Lord” . Wow, it was like someone had convicted me of my worst mistake ever. Not a bad thing but something so truthfully spoken.
              We try so hard to be in control, to master our little place in the world under the false assumption that we are the master and not the servant. Oh our human arrogance!
              I thank you again for such gem, that will remain with me. I see that I too have often made decisions that made me work so hard to correct, to fix. A doh! Moment! Thanks 😉

• Menagerie says:

We used to stay at the lodge at Amicalola several times a year until we moved to the cabin. We still get down to Dawsonville sometimes, but not as much as when Bill Elliott was in his heyday and Dawsonville was Mecca for my husband.

• dbobway says:

What a beautiful piece Menagerie
        I am humbled by your descriptions, still in my head, as I hunt & peck.
        We live in the same region, with my 1st Grandbaby due in 2 weeks.
        I can’t wait.
        I come here in the morning, to get my umbrella to protect me from the rain of discord in our nation.
        I think I’ll just leave it home, let it rain.

• Menagerie says:

First Grandbaby. You are about to hit the best times of your life. Enjoy!

• Your Tour Guide says:

Menagarie:
            If you and your husband can do hikes, consider going back to Amicola
            Falls and stay at the Hike Inn. You start at the trail above the falls, and
            walk 5 miles until you reach the Inn. You can only go on foot. It takes
            about 3 1/2 hours.
            Once you get there they have some nice accomadations, and you get
            fed a great supper and breakfast. No TV. No cable. A presentation
            ( usually about hiking the applachian trail). Not cheap, but not prohibitive
            Worth every penny. Been twice, would go back in a heart beat if I could
            find someone to do it with. ( Family isn’t interested, my good friend that
            went before has regrettably passed). Give it a try.

• Menagerie says:

I may do it someday. I walk a lot, still hike some, but I have a messed up foot, so if it’s very rough I can’t do it.

• Southern Son says:

Here’s Prayin’ your “messed up foot” gets its act together.

• Menagerie says:

Thanks, but the messed up foot is full or rods and screws, and as good as it gets. Which is really pretty awesome since I had a hard time walking before. It’s just not up to very rough or steep terrain.

But I try to walk about 50 miles a week. I used to get as high as 70, but I haven’t pushed that hard in awhile.

• Phokencougie says:

We did our engagement photos at the falls.

14. ginaswo says:

15. senda72 says:

Beautiful words, Menagerie. Thank you for sharing your story and God’s story with us.

A few weeks ago I started out my morning run hoping that I would return before the rain started. Nope, it took but a few minutes for the skies to open up, and I had the best run of my life. No longer plagued by heat and humidity, I had the rain to cool me off, and if I wanted a drink I just simply opened my mouth.

Praise God for the rain and the sunshine!

16. Jean . Morris says:

It is so true that God gives us wonderful sights with the help of Mother Nature! I do know that sunrises and sunsets are beautiful everywhere one can see them. I remember when my husband and I visited Key West and went to the special spot folks go to to see the sunset over the Gulf. We were surprised to see most of the people leave right after the sun went down, and did not stay for what we always called the “afterglow”. It is once the sun goes down that the beautiful colors in the sky begin to appear. I live in south Florida and get to see the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico every evening. The beauty is a great gift as are our afternoon showers to keep everything green and growing. Another awesome sight to see is a full moon setting over the Gulf. I have seen 4 in my life. Reason being it is not easy to do as one must catch the full moon setting when it is still dark outside. There is only one full moon per month, and getting the “setting time” to happen when it is dark is not real frequent. If it is not dark at setting time, the moon appears small and of course white in color. However when the full moon sets during dark hours, it appears huge and the most beautiful orange/red color. And a plus is that you can keep your eyes on it until it disappears!

17. the phoenix says:

I love the rain. Here is a photo I took in the middle of a rainfall in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia about ten years back:

Love your spiritually uplifting insight as inspired by God’s creation as shown in the peaceful simplicity of nature, Menagerie, and your book recommendation. And did you ever notice how many times the storm clouds will break right at dusk so we can enjoy a brilliant sunset?

• Katherine McCoun says:

Beautiful

• JC says:

Exquisite. Thank you.
      Love rain. Everything about it. While it softens colors, lines and even the earth, the grayness somehow also heightens colors, the moisture cools and cleanses the air, and its heady fragrance is incomparable, even transcendent. I stepped right into this photo, Phoenix.

18. Davey says:

Good morning Menagerie, it’s good to know HE is still with us in the storms.

19. Davey says:

And don’t forget, no matter how bad the storm, the anchor holds.

20. margarite1 says:

I’m in the Pacific Northwest so I know rain…but not lately. It’s been in the 90s for weeks now. We’ve had a haze covering at least two states and I hear it comes from fires in British Columbia. Rain is predicted tomorrow and it will clean up the haze and freshen everything.

I grew up in southern California and remember Christmas day in the 80s, etc. One day after another all warm and sunny and we took it for granted. But here in the NW we don’t take sunny days for granted – nor the beautiful fall or the gorgeous spring flowering. So the winter has a point – just wait – it will become wonderful again.

• dekester says:

M1, You are correct. We live just N of the 49, and our air is thick with smoke. There are forest fires in much of the Province.

We can taste the smoke, and for some their breathing is getting difficult, and we only live a 10 min or so walk from the Pacific Ocean.

Like you, we get our share of rain. But haven’t had any for a month or so now.

Tomorrows expected rain is eagerly anticipated.

When it comes, we will be thinking of this lovely article.

God bless PDJT.

21. linda7780 says:

Menagerie, I live in GA also but at the southern end. You live in a gorgeous area. I visit there often and never want to come home. Jesus tells us to come to Him as little children. Your story reminded me, being close to the same age as you, how the remembrance of times as a child when it was such a joy to play in the rain. Now, as an adult, we mostly try to run from it, rather than enjoy those wonderful moments we had as children. Out of the mouths of babes…..
    Beautiful grandchild you have. She is very wise….😃 Thank you for reminding me.

22. Katherine McCoun says:

Wonderfully insightful article and beautifully written comments. Lovely way to begin the day! Thank you for writing and sharing this piece.

We moved to the country a yr ago to a 2 bedroom fixer upper high on a hill. We can see for many miles. In good weather we can see farther but the space between the mountains looks like an almost homogenous valley. In the early morning fog, on cloudy days and in the rain are the time that we can see the many smaller hills, valleys and ridges between us and the far, high hills. Although in clear weather the view is far and fantastic, I have come to look forward to the early morning and raining day views when I see the how varied the landscape is, the details and individuality of the various areas.

There is beauty and rest in the rain.

23. Mustang4176 says:

Cheers Menagerie!
    Being an old seaman by trade, I look to CTH with SD and you as a mental safe harbor.

Morro Bay (2)

24. keebler AC ovfefe says:

Omy, what a cutie patootie! Big hug for the little one! Thank you for the photo!

• Menagerie says:

That picture was a long time ago, but it’s one of my favorites. She used to stick her foot out before stepping out into the rain and lifting her face to catch the drops.

Sadie has always been able to live in the moment. Consequently, she has experienced more joy in five years than I have in 12 times that. But she’s teaching me.

25. I lived in Atlanta GA for 40 years and moved to a suburb of Las Vegas this past summer. In our Atlanta home I used to sit on the front porch and watch it rain. It was always nice. Our front yard was green and the fruit trees thrived. I’ve now been in Vegas for 8 weeks. It doesn’t rain. Well, ok, it’s rained twice at our house since we’ve been here. Twice in 8 weeks. So … my point is that instead of ignoring the rain, you should savor it.

Your beautiful post made me miss Atlanta. I’ve been too busy to do so up to this point but I’ll be thinking about it. Summer is almost gone. I hope all the treepers get to enjoy the rest of it!

26. fleporeblog says:

Thank you for sharing! My dad would always tell us as kids that we shouldn’t feel sad when it rained because, “After the rain comes the sunshine ☀️ “! I actually carry that with me through life. It makes it so much easier to deal with those periods that have you down.

27. bluegirl says:

Thank you for sharing Menagerie. That was a beautiful reminder to stop and reflect on our blessings and God’s wonderful world.

Isaiah 55:12

“You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
    the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
    and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.”

28. shadowcole says:

If I didn’t have faith in my Lord, I would have died not long after my son was murdered. I have to admit that most days I just want to join him. I know that he is with me wherever I go but I cannot see anymore. We spent everyday together for years and to have that end in a split second took part of my soul. I will never be the same and I find it difficult to see any joy. It’s been 4 years but seems like 15, I miss him so.
    I joined a club when he died, it’s one no one wants to join but once you’re in you’re in for life.
    Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the sons of God Matt:5 9

• Menagerie says:

My prayers are with you, and I am sorry for your loss. What you describe, his being with you, is what we Catholics call the Communion of the Saints. We here on Earth, the Church Militant, are united in the Body of Christ with those who have gone on, united in prayer and the Mystical Body of Christ.

Nothing will take the place of your son’s presence, but I hope that you do take comfort in the fact that your unity through Christ can never be broken.

• JC says:

Oh, shadowcole, how awful. Four years is not such a very long time after such a horror, so of course the trauma feels fresh and ancient, all at once. I am so sorry, and my prayers are with you.

I posted this verse a few weeks ago, and I hope no one minds that I repost it here for you:

“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
      Revelation 21:4

• uvaldegirl says:

So very sorry. I pray that moments of joy surprise you to lighten this daily burden.

• magagirl says:

My family will pray for you. I wish I could give you a hug, but the Father is doing it for me. ❤️

• deanbrh says:

shadowcole, I have read every entry in this thread, the whole time wishing for inspiration how to help you through this torture and hell I anticipate for myself down the road. I know my Alzheimers-affllicted spouse of 62 years has left me mentally, and each night I awaken many times to be sure she is breathing. I try to anticipate days and nights without her, each time thanking God for the joys we have experienced together since we both met in college in San Francisco in 19 55. I don’t want life without her. And your life without your son feels as dire to me. But I ask you to trust me in this….God has a plan for us and we are obligated to seize it! He said He will never forsake us. He won’t, and I ask you to pray with me each day that He will open a door for you, because the window that was shut by a murderer HAS to have opened a door. You just have to believe that and you and I will pray EVERY day that our faith is strong enough that you will recognize that open door sooner rather than later. I can’t fathom how murder of a son feels, but I trust Jesus to prove himself comfort that the rest of us can’t provide except with prayer. I am infinitely sorry for the loss of your beloved son.

• Southern Son says:

We are praying for you shadowcole.
      October will be fourteen years since our only Son passed.
      An auto accident must be just like a murder, in that the sudden loss, leaves you in such a state of shock, that you cant remember what Normal was.
      I started puttinG my feelings to words.
      It was Very hard at first.
      And Dark!
      But the words Softened the Hurt.
      The darkness lifted with each poem, and fairly early on (six months?), I started writing lighter things.
      This one did me the Most good, and I consider it my First, as it was the first that I dared to share.
      I call it “Your Smile”, and hope that it may help You, to put your feelings to paper.
      To: Ben
      From: Daddy

It’s hard to Love someone so much.
      Their smile you’ll always miss.
      But when I think of you, my son.
      I always think of this.
      It’s the same for everyone,
      who knew you in your time.
      Your Loving Smile, is what I see.
      This memory is mine.
      You touched us all so deeply, that you can never go away.
      Life was never serious.
      You always loved to play.
      Your humor still affects us, when we think of you.
      Your Smile still lifts me up, when I’m down and blue.
      I wish we’D had more time, my Son.
      We were becoming freinds.Love and Pain.
      Loss and Gain.
      From these our lives must blend.
      When I go to bed at night, for you I say a Prayer.
      We Love You and we Miss You.
      Hope your having Fun Up There!

There areally still bad days.
      Birthdays (anyones), Holidays.
      That day…
      The Healing continues, and I my words became much Lighter, as I tried to live on.
      I hadn’t written anything in a while, when the tenth anniversary of That day approached.
      These words popped in my head.

I needed to believe them ten years ago.
      Time will heal all wounds they said.
      I had faith because they said it was so.
      But some things tear that sayin’ to shreads.

Thoughts, as Words on paper can help, though it can be raw at times.
      The beauty of it is, you can Shreads the dark ones throw them away.
      The healing continues at fourteen years.
      Continues, being the moral of the story.

God Bless You, and
      Keep Pressin’ ON!

29. LafnH2O says:

Thank you, Menagerie!
    Full marks. Spot on…

“We just have to ignore the rain.” 🎩Sadie
    Precious 😊

30. Sharon says:

So well done, Menagerie. Both the point of your sharing and the vehicle of it are perfect.

Sadie is so right – just ignore the rain, and use the sterling when you feel like it.

Growing up in big sky, dry, wide prairie of NE MT, we reveled in the rain. Walked in it. Played in it. And played barefoot in the mud that was left after it.

I love a rainy day. Always.

Be sure to print this off and provide hard copies to Sadie for her own enjoyment…..all it takes to lose our computer notes for the power to be out, temporarily or somewhat permanently. Make hard copies of the precious stuff.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you Sharon. As she nears the age when that blinding and shiny innocence will begin to be hammered at by the world, my heart hurts at the thought.

The only glimpse we get on this Earth of how God intended us to be, pure and clean and so filled with Him that we shine, come through the children, and those who society terms defective, who retain for life the purity of soul, untarnished.

I don’t believe anything I’ve ever borne in my life is going to hurt so much as seeing her slowly change.

And yet that potential she has, the good inside her, the already blossoming hugeness that is her has to grow and become, and be shared. My prayer is that she changes the world a lot more than it changes her.

31. Ddanna says:

I loved your story Menagerie. It was so heartwarming and I have to admit I teared-up a couple of times!

32. Minnie says:

❤️ Thank you, Menagerie. I so enjoy reading everything you share ❤️

33. BakoCarl says:

I agree with your title, but the sentiment expressed in your post does it better.

We shouldn’t ignore the rain. God brings us rain and rain brings life, the former and the latter rains. Rain dissolves nutrients and minerals and then transports them for life and growth.

After the rain, God clears the clouds and His sun shines, providing strength for blossoms and, ultimately, the bearing of fruit.

As difficult as it may be, if we can embrace the rainy days as well as the sunny days that God brings us as part of His plan, we may come to realize that what God is doing is for our eventual good.

One day, when that Great Day happens, when we can see clearly and no longer darkly, as through a glass, this will all be known to us and we will rejoice in it . . . forever.

• Menagerie says:

Several comments have expressed this thought. I believe, from the context of my post, that the point was we ignore our discomfort at getting wet.

A five year old doesn’t have the vocabulary to go further than what she said, trusting me to understand what she meant. She wanted to enjoy the rain as she enjoyed her new pool.

The difference is in the story, and I think it is clear.

• BakoCarl says:

My intent was to be supportive, rather than critical. Perhaps I should have presented my thoughts differently.

• Menagerie says:

I didn’t take it as critical, just that I needed to clarify what she meant. I figured some people would take exception to the title.

• boogywstew says:

I loved your story and the responses it drew. I grew up on an island and being fair skinned, I loved going to the Ocean on overcast and rainy days which would typically mean the presence of storms with the accompanying high winds and high surf. My mother could never understand my wanting to go to the beach on anything BUT a sunny day! My take on it as a young man was … “Duh! Yeah … like I wouldn’t want to get wet while I’m swimming!” Maybe your five year old was coming from that innocent perspective?

• Menagerie says:

Absolutely she was. And she has always enjoyed the rain as well.

• boogywstew says:

I have never outgrown my childhood passion for going to an Ocean beach on stormy nights and watching the phosphorescence glowing in the foaming breakers. I am amazed to this day by this natural phenomena … that the Sea actually gives off this eerie blue-green light … a form of bioluminescence. Perfection would be a warm night with the storm and rain still at sea and you on a secluded sandy beach enjoying the early landfall of howling wind, towering, crashing surf lit up by it’s own translucent glow and a complementary matching celestial show overhead, accented by roiling clouds. The steadfast predictability of the waves is enhanced by the unpredictability of the winds and cloud cover. I grew up on NY’s Long Island’s North Shore and I hitch hiked as an adolescent and young teenager and then drove myself, when I got my own cars, directly across the Island to Robert Moses State Park on one of Long Island’s Atlantic barrier beaches, Fire Island. Not one girlfriend ever thought this sounded like anything remotely romantic or even interesting which is still a mystery to me. I guess beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder?

• Menagerie says:

If I could I would own a beach house to spend some time at. I love the ocean.
              I think your Fire Island excursions sound like something I would love to do right now.

34. GrantsLounge says:

Couldnt help but be reminded of one of my all time favorites. Enjoy, all.

Towns Van Zant ‘Flying Shoes’

35. heldnmut says:

Beautifully expressed. Thank you.
    We experienced much the same when we moved to gray, rainy Oregon 10 years ago & were in deep grief over the death of a beloved daughter just one month after her wedding. It seemed like a very bad move after the warmth & sunshine of Southern California. But like you we found the quiet &stillness & enveloping gray shroud became a healing, restful, soothing atmosphere for us. We welcomed it & learned to rejoice in it and receive it. Jesus promised to restore our joy; He has been more faithful and gracious than we ever dreamed or expected.

• Southern Son says:

I feel you heldnmut.
      Our Ben passed, nine and a half months after getting married at 21.
      She remarried about six months later, and had a child about ten months after that.
      A Hole in my soul, that will never be filled.
      I can’t help but be envious of our Grandma Treepers. (Grandpa’s mostly though.)

36. uvaldegirl says:

I am mulling on this one – the simple suggestion of your granddaughter to just ignore the rain and experience joy – and the delightful woodsy, rain and fog. To breathe that air! (From hot and crazy SCal.)

37. idon'tremember says:

please may I offer this song, & esp.to Airman, may he be OK O Lord.

38. kiskiminetas says:

Praise the Lord that was nice Menagerie. I live in Chattanooga TN and my most favorite place to go is the Big Frog Mountain Wilderness (TN) and Cohuta Wilderness (GA). It is so beautiful and peaceful there. My favorite thing to do is walking down the Conasauga river trail, which winds though both states and fish swim, snorkel and take in nature. It truly is a spiritual experience for me there.

I was there once and had crossed the river to fish and got caught in a thunderstorm. The lighting strikes were nonstop and it was like being in the Army when the enemy attacked with an artillery barrage. There I was on the other bank under a tree sitting on my cooler with a Booney hat on and no poncho. The rain was torrential and the river turned murky and was rising. I sat there amidst the lightning strikes and rising water and must confess I was a little concerned and started talking and praying to my Lord. It was a good 45 minutes before it all stopped. I crossed back over the river (slowly) with my fingers somewhat numb from the cold rain but His grace, peace and joy carried me through it all. God is God and He is faithful!

39. StandTall says:

Menagerie,
    Thank you for sharing your heart and experience and allowing others to see out the window of your world.
    So many life lessons are learned here at CTH as everyone’s thoughts are shared. Why I read here every day. Often when reading comments can’t help but think, “these are my kind of people” yet everyone is so unique, from varied circumstances, from all over the country (a few from outside). What a big, beautiful gathering of minds & hearts here!
    Thank you SD for ALL of your insight which is truly a gift in our sometimes confusing world.
    Prayers & MAGA🇺🇸

40. litenmaus says:

I’m spending a lot of time pulling out memories these days Menagerie, and my husband and I have been rewarded greatly as we turn each memory, this way and that, pulling out the “joy” that has been visited upon us over the years. Happiness is a wonderful thing, but oh, those moments of joy, how they heal our weary hearts.

Thank you for sharing your misty mountain magic this morning, perfect timing. :0)

41. golsono says:

Uplifting story. Thank you. One more reason CTH is my go to site. Blessings to all Treepers!

42. jcthewizard says:

43. Sue in MT says:

I love the rain and misty mornings. It gives a feeling of peace and loneliness that is comforting in an odd way to those of us who are a little on the morose side. The most beautiful place I have visited is Snoquamie(sp?) falls in WA. WA is like a tropical rain forest, a perfect place for rain lovers (or vampires) lol. Hope to someday live there if and when the liberals ever move away. Been dry here in MT, but I have hope for a raging thunderstorm soon! Lovely post.

44. The Tundra PA says:

Menagerie, soooo well done! Thank you.

I love the story someone shared here recently of the little boy who said that God smells like the rain.

45. Brant says:

Maybe rain is God having fun sloshing around in his swimming pool sending some to us………and very much expecting us to have fun in it too.

46. Sweet Caroline says:

THIS was needed today. THANK you. Love, A CTH newbie

47. Bendix says:

Beautiful story.
    Right now, the area I’m in is under a thunderstorm watch, and as it is getting rather gray outside, it appears as though I might get something to watch from my front porch.
    I’d be remiss if I didn’t put in a chauvinistic word for one of my favorite places to see rain, New York State’s Adirondack Park:

Not my photo, I wasn’t at that particular spot personally, but you get the idea.

48. PolskaBella says:

Some days all you need is a little reminder… A little nudge… A little hope… And a little joy… Thank you for this..