General Tony Thomas Reveals New York Times Leak Foiled al-Baghdadi Mission…

General Tony Thomas speaking at the Aspen Forum on July 21, 2017 reveals the New York Times ran a story from leaked intelligence that foiled the capture of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

(Via Fox) In a wide-ranging interview moderated by Fox News’ Catherine Herridge, Thomas, who leads the Special Operations Command, said his team was “particularly close” to Baghdadi after the 2015 raid that killed ISIS oil minister Abu Sayyaf. That raid also netted his wife, who provided a wealth of actionable information.

“That was a very good lead. Unfortunately, it was leaked in a prominent national newspaper about a week later and that lead went dead,” Thomas said. “The challenge we have [is] in terms of where and how our tactics and procedures are discussed openly. There’s a great need to inform the American public about what we’re up to. There’s also great need to recognize things that will absolutely undercut our ability to do our job.” (read moreWatch Video:

This entry was posted in CIA, Conspiracy ?, Deep State, ISIS, Islam, Jihad, media bias, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

209 Responses to General Tony Thomas Reveals New York Times Leak Foiled al-Baghdadi Mission…

1. keebler AC ovfefe says:

Rosenstein and Mueller afraid of being fired from their witch-hunt now leaking data to prevent Sessions from un-recusing?

• keebler AC ovfefe says:

This is latest leak is now ammo to fired Rosenstein and Mueller directly. Can the new FBI director Wray help in this endeavor? Sorry, but it’s a swamp and both AGs have lost their sight of their function under the President and working against MAGA. The President is not our enemy!

• keebler AC ovfefe says:

Typo
        This latest leak is now ammo to fire…

• Southern Son says:

I’ve got plenty of ammo to fire, and believe it’s Beyond Time to fire it.
          I was totally prepared, if they Stole the Election.
          But if the Deep State and Enemedia continue to Undermine Our Republic, we will be left No other Choice.
          Our Forefathers would have been shooting long ago.
          The Feminization and PC Culture, has Nuetured Americans from Thinking Logically, and Acting with Determination.
          This Four Year stretch will determine America’s fate.
          And it appears that Once Again, it will be up lll% of the Citizens, to become Patriots and Save America, or Die Trying.

Press ON!,
          President Trump, AG Sessions, and All True
          God Loving Patriots.

• Bert Darrell says:

Witch hunter Mueller was appointed by Deputy AG Rosenstein. I don’t think he can be fired by the FBI Director. Either AG Sessions un-recuses himself and fires Mueller or Rosenstein does it.

Remember that Mr. Rosenstein told Sen. Harris that the honesty of the process rests with himself and Mr. Andrew McCabe. We know that McCabe is a democrat, a Deep State POS, and was appointed to the position by Mr. Mueller when he was FBI Director.

I have no faith in DAG Rosenstein, a democrat whose nomination was enthusiastically supported by the senate democrats.

The only way to dismiss Mueller is to show that he is acting in bad faith and abuding his authority. All of his chosen assistants are democrats who have donated to HiLIARy, and he is obviously departing from his confined “Muh Russia” mission. That should suffice.

• JAS says:

I disagree. I’ willing to bet that the leak came from The Senate Intelligence Committee after they met with Susan Rice yesterday. The leak was out just hours later.

• deanbrh says:

The author of the Tweet, Support 45, has invoked some kind of function that prevents the message from being retweeted. There are many times Tweets on TCTH can’t be retweeted, even ones posted in the beginning of new threads or topics or whatever you call them. Is there an IT-savy person here who knows how to defeat the censoring Twitter allows?

• benifranlkin says:

That would be correct. They are forcing President Trump’s hand as well. Step down Mr. Sessions please and let there be an interim AG named at least to pulls the reins in on Mueller.

• BigMamaTEA says:

A couple of weeks ago the NYTimes also wrote an article naming the CIA guy in charge of Iran also. I don’t know whether that was also classified; but I would suspect so.

grrrrrrr!

• dutzie60 says:

That was what I thought…. “Now how will he un-recuse?”

• Will Janoschka says:

“Now how will he un-recuse?”
        No need for AG Sessions to “un-recuse” ! Both he and the new FBI director can and should remain free of any investigation of the so called illegal Russian influence on the 2016 US presidential election (the commission)! The Demoncratic deputy AG selected this toad.The Demoncratic deputy AG can now fire this toad, for going way way beyond his commission. I am sure that Deputy AG Rosenstein, will do that voluntarily; now that the ‘is’ is obvious!! High time for the trap to snap shut!

• Ozzie says:

Every leak is another nail in MSM’s coffin. They get closer and closer to crimes punishable by law. I Believe the war of leaks is Trump destroying any bit of relevance. He is a genius. They can stop anytime but won’t, amazing

• Carolyn says:

The replies to his tweet are discusting… I think Treepers should educate some of those like that Dr. Gu MD….

• Wend says:

Most of those disgusting replies are from ShareBlue paid trolls and bots. They get those blue check marks and Twitter puts them at the top of the thread. Periodically POTUS Trump (or Scavino) blocks them and they get hysterical then change their names. It’s actually pretty sad-I read a thread on reddit in which they were talking about how they couldn’t wait to get up in the morning to get on POTUS Trump’s Twitter and make stupid comments.

• Carolyn says:

I would regain respect for Sessions if he DID unrecuse himself and fired Rosentein and Mueller.

• mcclainra says:

I really do support POTUS, but he needs to instruct AG to recuse himself, and asap, fire Mueller, and fire Rosenstein. They are all up to no good. Not really sure how well hashtags work, but certainly #FireMuellerRosenstein would be good ones!

• mcclainra says:

So why don’t Mueller et al investigate these terrible leaks which endanger our national security? Oh wait, probably came from NSC. Badly need to find the source of these leaks, the specific person, and asap.

• mopar2016 says:

The New York Times has blood on their hands for these leaks.
      This needs to be investigated, there’s plenty of evidence.

2. Kerry Gimbel says:

Too bad we can’t charge them with obstruction of justice. Or even better treason

3. Curry Worsham says:

4. Kerry Gimbel says:

Maybe not fake news. Maybe criminal news

5. dawndoe says:

SCRREEAAMM! This is SO maddening!

• Tegan says:

Make the owners/publishers ACCOUNTABLE! At the very least make them respond …. Talk about it during a on-camera press briefing. Call them out by name. Bring it up on both floors of Congress so it’s in the records. And people wonder why POTUS tweets? THIS is why!

• LafnH2O says:

This is History unfolding before us. We are part of something that will be spoken of and remembered, GOD willing, for a. Very. Long. Time.
      My nails couldn’t get any shorter. I’m considering pencils. Lol
      Hang tough. Our Lion has been stalking this prey a long time. Our Lion is bout ready to pounce.
      And it will be “Glorious” 😁

6. Paco Loco says:

Treason and sedition no longer have any meaning in a world where the DoJ is afraid of its own shadow.

7. MIKE says:

I have two questions; can this be proven, and isn’t this aiding and abetting the enemy?

8. Joe S says:

Now why would whoever leaked it to the NYT leak it?

What is the possible motive? Who was aware of this and who leaked it?

In other words, if ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was captured alive, who would be implicated in aiding ISIS?

9. Minnie says:

Baghdadi has subsequently been terminated, yes?

As for the leak, who exactly was CIC in 2015?

Yeah, I said it!

• filia.aurea says:

The Russian took Baghdadi out. It’s clear now why the “stand-down” order was issued. CYA at the expense of an Ambassador hand-picked by SOS Clinton and 3 other irreplaceable heros. I agree Mrs. Clinton, you should all swing.

• LafnH2O says:

DNA evidence.
          S’il vous plait.

• A2 says:

Yes. Lavrov and the Russian Foreign Ministry stated only a ‘high probability’ Baghdadi was killed in the May bombing. Lavrov said no new evidence to confirm it. Gen Mattis said essentially the same thing.

• Bull Durham says:

ISIS in Iraq already confirmed it.
          The one doubter was an Iraqi official, and now Mattis.
          Of course, they don’t want to credit Russia.
          Russia doesn’t care. They only ever said it was likely they killed him along with 30 other top ISIS leaders and over 300 fighters in a bombing raid on based on very good Intel.
          Russians kill terrorists. They don’t brag about it.
          They do know how to fight Wahhabi terror.
          Only the Russophobes and warmongers think otherwise.

Truly sad that we are not working with them more closely.

Though, a second de-escalation zone ceasefire in East Ghouta near Damascus was announced today.

RT:
          Syrian military declares ceasefire near Damascus – state media
          The Syrian armed forces have announced a ceasefire in the Eastern Ghouta region near Damascus, according to a statement released through the official SANA news agency. “The cessation of hostilities will begin in several areas of Eastern Ghouta,” the statement reads, adding it would come into effect at midday local time (09:00 GMT) Saturday, July 22. “Any violations will be responded to appropriately.” Earlier on Saturday, the Russian Ministry of Defense said it signed a de-escalation zone “Eastern Ghouta” agreement with the Syrian moderate opposition. The deal specifies humanitarian aid delivery routes and safe passages for residents.

Another link:

And more good news along the Jordanian border, some al Nusra fighters are surrendering before them get liquidated. No more CIA backing ended their paychecks and ammo. And Hezbollah was wiping them out, also.

• filia.aurea says:

If that’s the case, then find and eliminate him.

10. Trialdog says:

The President is too kind.
    Believe it or not, most NYT writers aren’t completely stupid. They knew or should’ve known releasing the information would end up helping Baghdad. The leaker absolutely knew it. The Obama administration leaker knew leaking the information would help Baghdadi.

• mimbler says:

Yes, and it wasn’t enough of a story to merit publishing classified information. I can see times where it would make sense to publish classified info, like to expose corruption, or illegalities but this was just gratuitous,

• MVW says:

Obama and tribe supported ISIS. Why wouldn’t they leak to save Baghdadi?

11. fleporeblog says:

I am crying just reading the article because none of this would be happening without our LION!
    Our President is the reason those soldiers that lost body parts NOW feel for the first time that it was for the cause of protecting US!

From the article linked above:

“We have absolutely dismantled his network,” Gen. Tony Thomas, speaking of Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, said at the Aspen Security Forum. “I mean everyone who worked for him initially is dead or gone. Everybody who stepped to the plate the next time [is] dead or gone. Down through a network where we have killed, in a conservative estimate, 60,000 to 70,000 of his followers, his army.”

A frequent visitor to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, who makes a point to meet his wounded warriors, Thomas said his personal visits, outside the media glare, did more for him than the soldiers.

“I’d like to think that I’m going to buoy their spirits,” Thomas said. “But go in there and you’ll walk out with one of the best buzzes you’ve ever had. In terms of resiliency of human beings, of service members who are not the least bit self-pitying. They want to think that they’ve helped accomplish something.”

• Minnie says:

🙏❤️

• annieoakley says:

Aspen will not like this General Thomas.

• filia.aurea says:

I want the 30 or so Flag Officers that a.k.a.Obama discarded to be reinstated with no gap in service and back pay. There seems to be a lack of humility amongst many of these Generals….”they (Walter Reed wounded) want to think ..they’ve helped accomplish something”. I guess I’d want to hear our willingness to serve, spoken of as being a primary contributor to the greatness of U.S. Armed Forces.

• LafnH2O says:

Was shopping last night and walked past an older, quiet looking gentleman with a disfigurement to his left arm. I quickly shifted my gaze; not wanting to be rude. In passing, as I raised my eyes to his to say, excuse me, before I passed… I saw the hat.
      PURPLE HEART RECIPIENT
      VIETNAM
      I stopped and met his gaze. Looked at the hat, and immediately thought of my first employer;
      A survivor of the “Baatan Death March” 1942.
      His, was a quiet look. A knowing look. He had a spirit and manner about him, which was captivating.
      His name was, John.
      We spoke for some time, standing there in the isle. The thing that stuck with me… “You cannot hate forever. GOD, has helped me with that!”
      He, without internet, spoke admirably of our President. He said he prayed daily, that the Lord, would let him live long enough to see the America, he and his “Pals”, so courageously defended, rise from the ashes and stand strong again. He hoped he would see the day, that he could “visit” and share the news with his long lost friends.
      He said, “There were many of us back then, just as there are today! I am no-one special!”
      I must admit, It brought tears to my eyes.
      On the back of a biz card I wrote, Thank You! and http://www.tcth.com.
      He said he’d ask his Daughter to check it out!
      He said he had to catch up with, “The Mrs.” and had to be going.
      That was a handshake, I will remember, a long time!
      At the checkout, I noticed, John, walking out the door… alone.
      He will never be alone, again!!

May the Lord Jesus, bless these men and women, these patriots, and give them a sacred place by his side.
      Where only the Brave and Selfless reside.
      AMEN

Lord GOD, I pray you will protect President, Donald J. Trump, his family and all those patriots who stand with him. I pray for, John.
      Give them courage, discernment and a host of Angels to walk before them.
      I ask this in Jesus name.
      AMEN

• Chris says:

Amen.

• fleporeblog says:

LafnH20 you have me crying! Thank you for acknowledging and speaking with John. Our President is giving everyone real hope!

• LafnH2O says:

Thank You. But, the Glory is to GOD. I had not planned on even being in this city yesterday. My plans fell through. I went to the store, next door to my humble abode, on a whim. A quiet voice.

It is times like these, that I meet folks like, John.
          Simple. Unexpected. Life changing.
          I will continue to “wander round” till I feel compelled to do something completely different.

Much like I found the Tree house. Quiet voice.
          And I will continue this course of action; my support of our President, and of Sundance and company, and of those here 😊 in whom I have found thankful Fellowship.
          I will stay this course, until I have reason to change it.
          I never know when, John, will appear. But I’ll keep looking.
          “Not all those who wander…
          are lost.”
          Thank you, all.
          GOD Bless.

12. carrierh says:

WE can only hope they are both removed along with those way too many Clinton connected attorneys. Apparently, the Deputy DOJ appears to be part of the stupidity. I am assuming he is a person from the previous DOJ appointees and thus can be removed asap and Muellar as well. Perhaps this is why Sessions wanted recusal so those hangovers could get caught. I sure hope so, but in any case Sessions is working long and hard on other cases, like Susan Rice. By the way, ALL Congress members meet with Russian counterparts as part of their job, so we need to shut down the Intelligence??? Committee witch hunt asap and drain the Congress swamp asap which we can do.

• filia.aurea says:

Rosenstein was U.S. Attorney for Maryland. Like the others, (except Preetinder) he initially tendered his resignation as requested.

13. MakeAmericaGreat says:

This was an enormous mistake by the NYT.

Of course it’s against the interests of the country and the Coalition Against ISIS, also, but it was a big unforced error by the Times.

A large part of Muh Russia has been to portray Trump as some kind of Manchurian Candidate (as silly as that sounds) who really isn’t the populist patriot he makes himself out to be. Truly, so the narrative goes, he’s just a self-interested pawn of Putin and Russia.

And the media are the last soldiers of the Constitution who stand between Trump and tyranny. Just look at that new, ridiculous Washington Post “Democracy dies in darkness” foolish banner or whatever it is.

Well, the Times (and thus the entire media leaking against Trump) just completely annihilated that premise. Now they are — as named by General Thomas — the people who aided and abetted the enemy. They helped ISIS. And Trump is calling them out on it. Hero Trump, Enemy Media. Manchurian Media.

Smear flipped, again, by Trump.

The Times will likely regret this gaffe for some time to come.

• georgiafl says:

Kinda makes Carlos Slim an aide de camp of al Baghdadi.

If someone tried hard enough, they could trace a link from Carlos Slim to the Islamist drug and human trafficking cartels.

Tom Clancy hinted at this in one of his later books.

• MakeAmericaGreat says:

I think the real question here is — “Why is the New York Times colluding with ISIS?”

lol

And, yeah, Slim is trash.

• georgiafl says:

Carlos Slim owns the NYT.

• joshua says:

he also had the major Obamaphone contract that made him billions.

• mitrom says:

I believe Slim is the richest Mexican. The Mexican government is rife with corruption and the Mexican cartels are connected to the government at every level. It would be very difficult to have a wealthy person not have some connection to the drug trade (even buying them off to leave you alone or take a cut of a business) according to some reports.

• filia.aurea says:

Mark Thompson became president and chief executive officer of The New York Times Company on November 12, 2012. He was formerly managing director at the BBC, and aided in the cover-up of Jimmy Saville’s perverted abuse of minors on BBC premises. I’d say the NYT has gone downhill following his appointment – question is how low can they go…

• MaineCoon says:

Maybe Sarah Palin will take a chunk of their change and drop them another notch. I hope so.

• Wend says:

When you it goes back to Pulitzer Prize winning Walter Duranty covering up for and promoting Josef Stalin in the ’30’s Thompson almost seems like an improvement. The NYT was OK when Abe Rosenthal was the Managing Editor but that was a while ago.

• Meriadoc says:

Nota bene, Mr Slim is NOT ethnically Mexican. He is of Arabc origin. The globalist Slim would have no objection to leaks that would protect his Arabic “brother,” Baghdadi.

• mikeyboo says:

This was not an error of any kind it was treason.

14. Paco Loco says:

Its unconfirmed that Al Bagdadi is dead. There’s a USNavy enlisted man sitting in jail because he took a photo of himself on his submarine. The treacherous NYTimes can get away with murder.

15. DanDeplorable says:

“Punch” Sulzberger and traitor Walter Duranty would be smiling if they could.

16. Mike diamond says:

Obama let a lot of terrorist out of Gitmo Cuba,he traded five or more of the worst. To get birgdal back! The press leaks stuff all the time that hurts the USA !

17. chick20112011 says:

Quick question. What date was this Times article and who wrote it? Thanks

18. kinthenorthwest says:

These leaks need to STOP
    Had a friend at work say that since Comey had already been fired it was OK what he did..
    After feeling like I was butting my head against a brick wall I finally looked at him and asked, so that means when when we retire/quit we can out all the information we have on thousands of people we assist. He immediately tried telling me that it was different, & i said no it isn’t.
    When you work in areas with sensitive information regarding people, our nation or and/or leaders, just because you have left regardless of the reasons, you still keep your mouth shut.

19. PDQ says:

Treason?

20. Summer says:

Islam (Muslim Brotherhood) infiltrated the heart and the brain and the guts of this country, via globalist policies. Until this cancer is surgically removed, and the traitors who allowed it to metastasize prosecuted, nothing will really change. At some point it becomes too late to save the host nation. Just look at Europe.

• DanDeplorable says:

More appointments like Mooch are needed ASAP.
      Reassign Sheriff David Clark to some higher post where he can kick butt.
      And to refocus the domestic vision, it wouldn’t at all hurt to reread Ann Coulter’s and Michael Savage’s spot on bestselling books from 2016.

• kinthenorthwest says:

I think that Obama was the one who opened the door for them. I think Obama opened the door wide open and put out a huge welcome mat giving them whatever they wanted, even $$$, weapons & more that I don’t even think about.

• G. Combs says:

It started with the Rockefeller/Saudi connection.

Follow the Rockefeller threads and you find they are a rot throughout the USA.

EDUCATION?
        The Rockefeller provided the funding to set-up the school that John Dewey used to experiment on kids and figure out how to turn them into socialists.. Dumbing Down America

Child Rearing?
        The Rockefeller provided the funding for determining how to turn out the liberal Snowflakes we have today. The Hand that Rocked the Cradle: A Critical Analysis of Rockefeller Philanthropic Funding, 1920-1960

Women’s Lib?
        The Rockefeller Foundation Funded ‘Womens Lib’

And never forget that the Bush family are the Rockefeller’s errand boy’s
        SEE: Samuel Prescott Bush

Right after 9/11, Grover Norquist arranged for George W. Bush to meet with fifteen Islamic supremacists at the White House on September 26, 2001.
        “[…]To the president’s left sat Dr. Yahya Basha, president of the American Muslim Council, an organization whose leaders have repeatedly called Hamas “freedom fighters.” Also in attendance was Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, who on the afternoon of September 11 told a Los Angeles public radio audience that “we should put the State of Israel on the suspect list.” And sitting right next to President Bush was Muzammil Siddiqi, president of the Islamic Society of North America, who last fall told a Washington crowd chanting pro-Hezbollah slogans, “America has to learn if you remain on the side of injustice, the wrath of God will come.”

It was Norquist who ushered these silver-tongued jihadists into the Oval Office after the worst attack ever on American soil. Don’t you think that the likes of Ibn Warraq, Bat Ye’or, and Wafa Sultan should have been advising the President instead of Hamas, Hizballah and the Muslim Brotherhood? But that wasn’t to be. So at that September 26 meeting Bush declared that “the teachings of Islam are teachings of peace and good.” It was a critically important, historic moment. What should have been the most important teaching moment of the long war became a propaganda tool for Islam. A singular historic opportunity was squandered, and the harm that has resulted is incalculable. […]

However it was all the way back ” in 1965 American liberals spearheaded a radical change in immigration law.”

First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same…. Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset…. Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia [i.e., Third World nations].

“Who said that in 1965? Sen. Teddy Kennedy of Massachusetts.[…]”
        humanevents(DOT)com/2006/10/18/the-campaign-to-thirdworldize-the-us/

• Maquis says:

You mean the DEPRAVED nations of Africa, n’est-ce pas?

I have, um, unfortunate experience, with the denizens of the Dark Continent.

21. SR says:

For these rats, fake msm and deep state bringing PTrump down is more important than ISIS.

22. Paco Loco says:

Yet…the public sits ideally by as the MSM helps are enemies and smears the Whitehouse in every nasty way they can think of. Where is the outrage that a major US newspaper aids and abets our enemies and openly flaunts it? The dumbing down of the population via fifty years of anti American propaganda seems to be complete with half of the country believing the lies and BS spewing from their TV sets. No one in the MSM cares about the truth, it’s all about eyeballs, screen grabs and selling hype.

• G. Combs says:

They are out protesting in front of CNN headquarters in Atlanta. You can go join them.

Me? I figured out the MSM was Fake News in 1970 and quit watching.

23. 4sure says:

Somebody needs to be hung. Literally.

24. Larry says:

Why is it that reporters who screw over the US never end up getting suicided? Are they all friends of Hillbilly??

25. chick20112011 says:

The Times has the gall to print President Trump revealed highly classified “info” to Russia.

26. Lucille says:

It’s fairly well obvious that the NEW YORK TIMES is a traitorous organization H-bent on taking down not only President Donald Trump and his administration, but the United States of America as well. Run by leftists who hate America, hate the free enterprise system (even though they make their money via same), their goal is the destruction of all we hold dear. It’s about time we take it down.

Every click on the NYT website, FB account or Twitter account, every purchase from any advertiser, any dealings with them whatsoever should cease this day. They need to be put out of business, run out of the country to whatever socialist country they prefer.

I’m sick and tired of having scum like those at the NYT running American publishing. A pox on them all.

27. Michael says:

Giving Aid and Comfort to the Enemy. Treason!

28. TONYA PARNELL says:

FIRE EM ALL NOW

29. I’m to the point where I believe it may be in our country’s best interest to ensure that foreign people/entities/interests do not own or control news outlets, as their ‘views’ may be contrary to ours and be aiming for a different kind of government entirely. There is freedom of speech and then there is purposeful invasion and evasion of ideals.

30. keeler says:

Not good, but nothing new. General Sherman once said, “If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast.”

Ironically, the New York Times published a story in 1987 regarding Sherman’s relationship with the press.

“To Sherman, journalists were ”spies” whose dispatches were ”false, false as hell.” Still, Sherman was dismayed that they provided the enemy with detailed information on his battle plans.

Sherman was not much kinder to newspaper readers. He called them ”the non-thinking herd,” adding, ”Vox populi, vox humbug.”

Mr. Ewing said many of Sherman’s complaints stemmed from technology that was just becoming widespread in the Civil War.

The newly invented telegraph made it possible for war correspondents’ dispatches about preparations for a battle to appear in Northern newspapers before the fighting began. Sherman often complained that the papers were then sent to Confederate operatives before he had a chance to attack.

To halt this flow of information, Sherman banned reporters from traveling with his troops and had one correspondent court-martialed for disobeying.

——–

It is also worth pointing out such leaks are not only damaging to military operations in foreign nations. As I and several pointed out in another thread, Reuters published news that ICE plans to conduct gang raids next week- potentially tipping off possible targets of these raids.

• yucki says:

Sherman, a great general, was far from a model to be emulated in America.

• keeler says:

Your implication is off target.

The relationship between modern warfare and modern journalism has always been a complicated one, and press compromising military operations is not a new phenomena. It is a manifestation of the inherent tensions operating within a free society.

Pointing this out doesn’t necessitate mounting a defense of the press, nor does it suggest hanging journalists is a model for how to find a solution to the problem.

31. Albertus Magnus says:

Everyone here knows that I am a strong supporter of AG Sessions. However, if what Gen. Thomas says is true and the DOJ does not investigate and charge those that are guilty, then not only should he resign, PDJT should fire him.

heartbroken today.

• Neural says:

Highly unlikely anything will be done. Remember just 3 weeks ago when CNN openly, blatantly blackmailed a private citizen for criticizing them, knowing full well that if they *did* dump his real name/address to the world that some Antifa leftist lunatic would likely kill the guy?
      How many people have been charged/arrested there? *zero*.

• Albertus Magnus says:

I hear you but that is not the same thing as leaks that undermine our military operations. Our country spends billions of dollars and loses countless lives fighting ISIS and terrorism.

The issue here isn’t the media bias, it is national security.

• Neural says:

It’s all part of the cancer that is “main stream media”. Yes, the NYT was an obvious national security issue. I simply was pointing out that the media is out of control on every level, be it national security, or the very rights the country was founded on.
          The entire monstrosity needs to be burned to the ground.

• MaineCoon says:

Primarily, it wa the private citizen was harmed, and, as such, would have to bring suit. Not sure who else would have standing, but a lawyer could probably make a case.

• MaineCoon says:

Such actions have caused atrocities. Soldiers die.

Justice must be done, if Gen. Thomas statement is accurate, and the guilty charged, sentenced with huge fine. If AG Sessions does not take up this charge, and similar leaks, he should resign or be fired.

We cannot live in a lawless world in regards to national security.

32. JasonF says:

The New York Times has responded to the assertion that they caused Al-Baghdadi to be able to escape. The response is this: “The Pentagon raised no objections with The Times before the story was published”.

The wording of the response is curious. Did they properly check with the Pentagon, before the story was published? They do not explicitly say. If they really had a good defense, I would expect more details than they have given.

• Jim Peters says:

Good point.

They are lying again.

The Pentagon would have objected strenuously to this being published. That much is obvious.

That no government official has ever complained about it is even more worrying. It suggests that the Obama administration either (i) wasn’t aware of it (incompetent) (ii) was aware of it and didn’t do anything to stop it (incompetent) or (iii) was aware of it and deliberately let it be published. The 3rd scenario, if true, is extremely worrying.

• Donna in Oregon says:

That should be followed up on. Should be a matter of record at the Pentagon. The mistake is not following up on this stuff.

If this is an organized “Deep State”, during the Obama admin. they would have been sloppy about their operations because they were not worried about getting caught.

A good investigator should have a White Board full of names with a chart of the organization. Of course there is a hierarchy, this is how they operate.

33. Bacall says:

TREASON. Pure and simple.

34. albrevin says:

Sessions should fire Rosenstein and Mueller and then resign.

35. Johnny Bravo says:

Anything for a story that’s the press

36. jmclever says:

The failing NYT continues to fail. Just read that they let go 100 employees under the ruse of buy out packages

37. mikeyboo says:

With respect to the leak to the NYT concerning ISIS: the leaker, the reporter, the editor, the publisher-no reprieve.

38. deborah foster says:

NYT probably leaked it because certain people do not want Bagdadi ever to be put in a position to speak. If you know who and what I mean.

39. Liked by 1 person

40. Curry Worsham says:

“…whoever publishes…”

18 U.S. Code § 798 – Disclosure of classified information

(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits, or otherwise makes available to an unauthorized person, or publishes, or uses in any manner prejudicial to the safety or interest of the United States or for the benefit of any foreign government to the detriment of the United States any classified information—
    ….
    (3) concerning the communication intelligence activities of the United States or any foreign government;
    ….
    Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

41. appadoo9 says:

The press is not at fault. They don’t have proof, just passing on idle hearsay. Set the Hounds loose on the Leaker.

• Lucille says:

If a leaker gives the information to a news outlet and they do not publish it, THEN and only then is the press not at fault. If no one publishes the info, then the leaker is still a criminal but he does not get his information into the hands of those who wish to do us harm.

So, yes, the press IS at fault as enablers and as a party to the original crime. Hearsay and loose lips kills.

42. Donna in Oregon says:

This is how the MSM wants us to think they are getting their ‘anonymous’ tips from the Deep State/Swamp.

I don’t believe it. I think it is totally old school. Person to person. That’s why I was looking at Lisa Monaco. Susan Rice is too big as far as targets go. That mess has been cleaned before Obama left the WH.

The common thread is the way to find the leakers. Reality Winner was just a smoke screen, low-hanging fruit.

I suggest that we have a Deep State Leaker contest and make sure it is all “alleged”.

You never know if we can come up with the leakers. Some people might say that it will tip them off. They’ve been under scrutiny for a long time and haven’t been caught yet.

So how many sleuths at the Treehouse are up to figuring out who the Deep Throats are?

I’m down with the struggle. Open to any and all ideas 🙂

43. Donna in Oregon says:

How the press wants to think they collect ‘anonymous’ tips.

I think it’s person-to-person. Old school.

44. Donna in Oregon says:

Here some tips on how Leakers operate. This is an interesting article about methods.

The best way to escape detection, however, is to leak as part of a flock, a flock that may or may not fly together. The best recent example of this kind of leaking can be found in two excellent stories about the NSA’s machinations published earlier this week, the New York Times‘s “In Secret, Court Vastly Broadens Powers of NSA,” and the Wall Street Journal‘s “Secret Court’s Redefinition of ‘Relevant’ Empowered Vast NSA Data-Gathering.”

How to leak and not get caught
    By Jack Shafer July 9, 2013

45. Donna in Oregon says:

Maybe a good place to start is here, where it was first realized. Here she is talking about organized leaks. The canary in the mine. So who is married to whom? Press vs Deep State Press vs. Swamp Critters. Then look at their backgrounds and see how many points the subject can score. I think Lisa Monaco scores very high. Extremely high.

WH: Obama Official Made It Clear Their Goal Was to ‘Leak Stuff’ on the Trump Team

By Melanie Arter | March 30, 2017 | 9:33 PM EDT

46. Donna in Oregon says:

This is an interesting read about the history of CIA and media:

Newly-Declassified Documents Show that CIA Worked Closely with Owners and Journalists with Many of the Largest Media Outlets

George Washington’s picture