Healthy Recipe Favorites From Treepers

Listen up Treepers. We have some among us who are facing some illnesses and struggles that have caused them to change their eating habits. This has created some discussion in our daily threads, and a number of our regulars have decided to put together some favorites to help each other out.

If you have any special recipes that you like that are lower in calories, sugar, or fat and you’d like to share, now is the time! Any tips on easier, perhaps faster prep? How about favorite home made treats or salad dressings?

We are looking for all kinds of recipes. If you are diabetic, a heart patient, or just smart enough to want to take care of yourself, please share your knowledge with us. If any of you have found better ways to cook while saving a few pennies, that’s a great tip too.

Thanks for sharing your favorites here. I think we can all look forward to some delicious new recipes.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

515 Responses to Healthy Recipe Favorites From Treepers

1. milktrader says:

Plant-centric dinner I just had the other day.

Falafel with Tabouli and Radish salad

FALAFEL: Toss into a food processor a can of rinsed garbonzo beans, couple cloves garlic, healthy bunch of chopped cilantro, dashes of cumin and coriander, small half spoon of baking powder and healthy spoon of flour. Pulse until dough. Chill for a couple hours. Form into patties or balls and either pan fry or bake em.

TABOULI: One to one (let’s say a cup) of bulgar and boiling water. Cover. Check it 45 minutes later. Add in some diced tomato, seedless cucumber, dash of cumin and maybe some salt and a small portion of olive oil (leave out the salt and olive oil if you are not healthy).

RADISH SALAD: Dice up some radish with chopped romaine and raw onion. Add fresh-squeezed lemon and a dash of salt. Toss.

DRESSING: Get some tahini in a mixing blow and add fresh squeezed lemon juice. You’ll need to add water to loosen this up. Add in some spices (cumin, coriander that sort of thing). Maybe a dash of salt and pepper. Chop up some garlic and a finely chopped sprig of cilantro. Serve room temperature or chilled.

PITA: Sometimes I make this fresh from flour and water and throw it on the pizza stone (oven at 500) or just get some whole-grain pita from the store.

NOTE: for recipes along this vein check out Thug Kitchen. Caution, it has vulgar language so it might be offensive. I found it hilarious. As a warning, the subtitle for the book is Eat Like You Give a F***.

• smiley says:

sounds good….I love Tabouleh, Tabouli 🙂

I don’t use any salt at all but use 1-2 fresh lemons, squeezed, olive oil, fresh garlic minced fine and lots of fresh parsley, black pepper, and some Turmeric (just a little) or instead of Turmeric, fresh mint.

very healthy.

2. teaforall says:

Here is one of my favorite salads. I eat a salad every night using fruit and veges

3. Susan says:

Lemon Chicken. Brown floured and seasoned chicken breasts in olive oil. 4 or 5. Remove. Add about 3 tbls minced red onion and cook at med heat till soft. Return meat into pan. Pour in one cup natural chicken stock, juice of two small lemons. Add 2 lemon slices. Simmer covered for about 30 minutes.

4. Some good health related vids for ya’ll. Doug Mcguff, not the best public speaker but good info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AflBFagRplo

Dr. Kate (cued up past the bs) https://youtu.be/eSfOagbT8ow?t=19m22s

5. amy1212 says:

No white sugar, no white flour and no White Coats. If it passes thru your car window or has a label, it is not food.

6. no-nonsense-nancy says:

I make a breakfast smoothie that is advertised as 30 days to a flat stomach. In a blender or chopper, put an avocado, a banana, 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and a 4th cup of coconut milk. It makes 2 servings. I add a little agave and a pinch of slivered almond for addws flavor. It is very tasty and healthy. I eat a small breakfast cookie or half a cereal bar with it so I can go until lunch time without eating again.

• amy1212 says:

Sorry – this is too many carbs and causes insulin to go into overdrive. I eat bacon and eggs/bacon and sausage for breakfast. No carbs or sweets. No health issues either.

• here is another smoothie recipe — it is sooooo DELICIOUS. Daughter is competitive swimmer and has, within the last year lol, connected the dots of good nutrition plus REGULAR, push-yourself exercise makes for overall positive mental attitude, feelings of general well-being AND faster races! 🙂

PACK-A-PUNCH BLUEBERRY & SPINACH SMOOTHIE

1/2 cup almond milk (flavor or unsweetened; your preference)
      1 cup frozen blueberries
      1 frozen banana
      1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (more protein than regular yogurt)
      1 cup packed baby spinach
      2 tbsp oats (as in oatmeal; instant or old fashioned or rolled)
      1 tsp ground flaxseeds
      1 tbsp. honey
      add ice cubes if you prefer, for consistency

Blend, drink, enjoy!! We use our NutriBullet for this, but any decent blender will do.

7. Killdozer says:

Food is the killer ,stop eating so much and live ,stop trying to make it taste so good ,fat people are drug addicts, no different then a crack head ,no one gets a pass ,look at judge Scalia ,fat as a house ,died creepy and his family said no autopsy ,but it was the peoples call ,what were they hiding ? ,we know he had no self control with food ,what was saint pudgy doing at the creepy ranch in the first place ,ask the hard questions or be spoon fed ,theirs bodies of young illegal girls buried there , jolly old saint fat people ,Stop celebrating food so much or spend your days on the dark side of the spoon ,

8. amy1212 says:

Read Gary Taubes. Here is his first article on the lies of the medical profession: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html. Read his books. 1. Good Calories, Bad Calories 2. The Case against Sugar. The medical professions recommendations have NO BASIS in fact. They have “made up” the results to suit the message. Just like the MSM about PDJT. The studies do NOT support “low or no salt, no red meat, eat lots of fruit and vegetables” Total BS.

• BakoCarl says:

Gary Taubes – great info and easy to read! Explodes lots of diet and nutrition myths.
      I also like the commonsense and scientific approach of The Perfect Health Diet. If interested, buy the book used for great deals.
      I’ve broken 6 years of having to take 150mg ranitidine twice a day, lost substantial weight and dropped over 60 points on total cholesterol.

• Binay says:

This! Been LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) for a little over a year..finally lost the 25 lbs I’ve been trying to lose for 20 years. Also read, Why We Get Fat, and the Cooking Keto with Kristie and Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off YouTube channels.

• BAM says:

Thank you for this link. It’s a bit long, but we’ll worth the read. It brings into question the low fat, low meat, high carbs diet that is promoted by the food pyramid through historical facts. It also discusses ketosis vs keto acidosis which I found interesting, as we have diabetic family concerns.

• Mayo says:

A ketosis diet is amazing for weight loss and energy boost.

9. amy1212 says:

Dr. Steve Phinney is another good source for low carb/high fat (no trans fats though) info. If you want health issues, follow the food pyramid (totally “made up”), it will fatten you up nicely.

10. no-nonsense-nancy says:

For a healthy summer desert I make is what I call peaches and cream. I slice nice fresh ripe peaches in a bowl and add a container of vanilla or peach yogurt and a serving spoon size dollop of whipped cream or cool whip. My grandchildren love it.

11. Anita says:

My fav produce stand opens for the season in 1 hour here in Michigan. I cannot wait to throw this together with fresh local produce. Add or subtract your favorite veggies, the key is basil.

Rough chop…I prefer a little smaller:
    Tomatoes, Romas are neater, but since local Mich tomatoes are in season, they will be my go to.
    1 each: green, yellow, red peppers
    1 cucumber, skinned, deseeded
    Couple celery stalks
    small onion
    zuchinni
    carrot
    Shredded mild cheddar cheese…Have used Kraft 3 cheese, but since a boycott is on, I’ll sub even no name brand.
    Zesty Italian dressing
    Basil…go easy at first as its potent, adjust to your taste.
    Make ahead and let it chill in fridge for at least a couple hours. Lasts several days in the fridge.
    I can eat this, alone, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    Enjoy!

12. lelanddiaz says:

Moroccan Carrot salad. Very easy, healthy, fast. I have seen cooked and uncooked versions.

231922http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Moroccan-Carrot-Salad-

13. Well, I guess I share a really AWESOME recipe..
    This is one that is FOR “Stroke” , or changing dietary needs. High Protein Low to NO carbs..
    10 minute prep 30 minutes till done..

I found the Salmon Packages @ Food Lion, 2 pounds of Fillets individually vacuumed packaged, on sale @ 9.99 per 2 pound bag…. (It’s worth the monies, you can get several meals, as each “portion” is Sealed by itself)..
    This is for 3 or 4 packages of Fish..
    Rosemary
    Thyme
    Sea Salt
    Black pepper
    Ginger Spice
    Yellow Squash & cucumbers or green Zucchini & snow peas
    Green (or sweet red bells for “color”)
    FRESH Mushroom(s) & OR Vildas sweet OR Red onions to taste
    One green apple, (sweet)..
    Lemon & or Orange/Pine-apple slices/chunks
    A Cabbage
    Heat Skillet with Olive oil Medium heat..
    open Fillets from vacuum sealed Drain Juice…
    Coat FLESH side, (Not skin), with a “liberal” sprinkling of Rosemary/Thyme/Salt & pepper..
    Place Flesh side down in hot olive oil..
    **SEAR** for about 3-4 minutes THEM turn over SKIN side down another Minute or 2..
    REMOVE from skillet & drain Oil on paper towel..

(You CAN do this in another skillet as you doing the fish)
    In HOT olive oil..
    Place into skillet ALL you veggies.. Sliced Diced/Whatever
    The Apple Makes this dish! so slice thinly!
    Add about a TEA-Spoon of Ginger spice, OR to taste, (not over whelming )..
    Salt/pepper Rosemary & Thyme.. (gently)..
    STIRR and HEAT ONLY!
    Break-out the Big Glass over bakeware… preheat oven @ 375
    Coat bottom w/olive oil..
    Place FISH, … Wrapped in WASHED Cabbaged bottom & top.. Place a PIECE of Slice Lemon AND Pine-apple (Or orange) AND again cover the fish with it..
    Kinda like a Cabbage Roll WITH out rolling things up…
    INTO the bake wear dish..
    Get ALL your pieces of fish done this way..
    THEN pour your “stir-fryed” veggies into ON TOP of the cabbaged covered fish..
    BAKE 15 minutes..
    Say 20.00 bucks you bring out your INNER CHEF…
    Folks will swear you went to school to learn this!

14. Pentheus says:

I came across the Holy Grail of diets this year, and could not be more pleased with the results. In 12 weeks I lost 45lbs, significantly improved my energy level (and mood!) and most of my aches and pains have gone away. This is the first “diet” I’ve tried that doesn’t leave me hungry and tired most of the time. I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life – it is THAT good.

It is, however, controversial – as it goes against much of what you’ve been told about nutrition and have assumed to be true for years. There are, coincidentally, many financial interests in the “health” and “medicine” industries that profit significantly from the current state of things – cheap to produce low fat high sugar foods and record rates of obesity, diabetes, and other related diseases.

The diet is called Nutritional Ketosis – and consists of 75% calories from fat, 20% from protein, and 5% or less from carbohydrates (not including fiber). I track these “macros” using the myfitnesspal app. The average American diet has been low fat high sugar since the late 80’s – look where that’s gotten us. It turns out that high fat low sugar (read: the opposite of what you’ve been taught), in the ratios above, converts your body’s main energy source from glucose (derived from carbs) to ketones (derived from fat). Coincidentally, however, you will need to avoid the high profit margin highly processed box foods and sugary drinks. Trust me though, full fat bacon, cheese, mayonnaise, hamburger, avocado, etc etc will more than fulfill the satisfaction gap.

Nonetheless, I have been doing a “cheat day” every other Saturday to satisfy my cinnabon/ice cream/pasta/chinese food cravings – which reminds me why I began this journey in the first place.

There is a lot of information about Nutritional Ketosis online, here are a few of the resources I’ve found most useful:

ketovangelist.com
    (specifically this episode about cholesterol: https://www.ketovangelist.com/episode-100-dr-dwight-lundell-busts-cholesterol-myths/)

ketogenic-diet-resource.com

ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wordpress.com

And the guide from https://ketocycle.com/

Wolverines!!!

• M. Mueller says:

“bacon, cheese, mayonnaise, hamburger, avocado”

Pentheus, add butter to that list and you’ve just named all my favorite food groups.

15. milktrader says:

Animal protein vs Plant protein

I get all my protein from plants. I’m 5’10” 160 lbs. Blood work, and vitals are all normal. On this diet I have done four marathons (best time 3:31), and IronMan (13:07) and multiple triathlons and bike rides in the mountains. I know this is anecdotal but I’m just giving a context.

Before switching to plant-based proteins four years ago, I was 192 lbs and could barely run a mile without losing my breath. I routinely run 10 miles now and feel great afterwards (well maybe a little sore, but a good sore if you know what I mean).

The China study was an important research document for me. The conclusions are more or less that a human diet where animal protein comprises more than 10% of caloric intake begins to realize an increase risk for cancer, heart disease and type-2 diabetes.

If you are really unhealthy, you may check out Eat To Live. The premise of this book is that intaking nutrition should be the primary goal. The brain seeks out fats, sugar and salt (ironic why this is so, but that’s a different discussion).

Please don’t conflate a plant-based diet with a vegan diet. I won’t detail why they are different but there are many vegan foods that would not qualify as nutritious (oreo cookies for example).

Plant proteins which power many animals (gorillas, giraffes, cows, horses, chickens) are wrapped in fiber, a net positive). Animal proteins come wrapped in cholesterol, which you body makes and doesn’t need.

The argument that your body cannot get the protein it needs from plants is a canard. Tell that to the 440-lb gorilla.

This diet gets proteins from lentils, beans, legumes, seeds, whole grains, and leafy greens.

I’d like to basically make this point. You can get your proteins, vitamins and other nutrients from plants. All of them. If you say you cannot give up bacon, that’s fine. But it is a choice. You actually can and live a healthy lifestyle.

I cannot tell you how often I hear the phrase “I’d like to eat more healthy but I just can’t give up my Big Macs” when this topic comes up. I would much rather people would be honest about it and say “I’d like to eat more healthy, it’s just that I choose not to”. Your body, your choices.

• Jlwary says:

Great info!!! Thank you!

• Sentient says:

Eat To Live works well if you can stick to it.

• Jimmy Jack says:

Curious – how many grams of protein are you able to eat a day and ho many calories does it take to get to that protein level? I’d be happy to hear a max# and low #. Thanks. I’d like to integrate more plant based proteins but can’d drop my protein numbers while watching my calorie count.

• milktrader says:

Average between 60-90 and when training make sure I hit the high end. Off season about 2500 and during the season 3500 – 5000 calories per day. As an endurance athlete I have about an 80/10/10 diet of carbs/protein/beer …. Correction carbs/protein/fat. 😉

A small serving of oatmeal has 5 grams of protein. You’d be surprised what proteins lurk in many foods.

Body builders I understand shoot for 400 grams protein daily but at that point you need to supplement kidney and liver enzymes (I don’t tread down that road).

Best bang for buck for adding plant proteins would be lentils and quinoa. Both I believe have all the essential amino acids

• Regina says:

Animals get Their protein from plants – if you eat plant based, you’re getting as much (usually More) protein than you’ll get from animal meats, without all the extra garbage

• Menagerie says:

I can’t answer your question directly, but I will tell you this. Two years ago for ten months I lived mostly on fruits, vegetables, lots of raw in the diet, one serving of meat most days. Hemp seeds for added protein, some nuts, and flax seeds. How many calories was utterly irrelevant. I ate tons of fruit every day and lost weight at the rate of 2-4 pounds a week, felt great. Slept better, no heartburn, and got rid of hay fever symptoms.

The point here is the calories did not matter, although when you eat mostly fruits and vegetables it is very hard to heat too many calories. Many diets and doctors advise against too much fruit, it’s high in calories in some cases, and more natural sugars. It did not matter to me, health and weight loss wise, and my doctor said “If you can do this why the heck didn’t you do it years ago?” Most healthy thing I’ve ever done and I loved it.

Now I’m getting motivated to get back to it.

• jcthewizard says:

Jimmy Jack wrote:
          “Curious – how many grams of protein are you able to eat a day and ho many calories does it take to get to that protein level?”

Typically (non-athlete) 1/2 gram of protein for each pound of body weight.

• trad55 says:

I’ve been doing this for 8 weeks now. I feel great. I don’t really miss anything and am learning to create or adapt recipes. Once you read the book and really understand what it means if you don’t make better food choices, you can’t go back. I thought I knew all there was to dieting. I’ve been on and off one since I was 15. I am now 62. After reading This book, I realized I had taken bits from each type of diet and applied the bits I liked and ignored the rest. This Eat to Live approach has changed my life. The flawed information we blindly accept regarding ‘recommended daily allowances’ means nothing when you realize those amounts were based on what a soldier at war, on the battlefield, would need. Not saying we don’t have stress in our lives but it ain’t battle worthy.

• enny2015 says:

my hubby started triathlons last year. did 3 sprints. this year so far 2 sprints and is getting ready for olympic. he lost 25 lbs on very strict diet and feels much better.
      mostly salads but does heavy training several times a week.

• rf121 says:

We are not gorillas. Plants do not provide all of the ammino acids we require. Over the long run many on “veggie” diets get sick. Humans, that is us, need animal fat and protein. Carbs not required. I recommend becomming a secondary vegitarian. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

16. Jlwary says:

Simple, but my favorite pasta salad:

Pasta of your choice (I use elbows or rotini). Cook and then chill it.
    Chopped red onion
    Chopped cucumber
    Add any other veggie chopped
    I make my own creamy Italian dressing with organic Italian dressing and mayo. Just mix the two together for your taste.
    Throw it all together and voila. Very yummy.

17. amy1212 says:

Another good video of Gary Taubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEuIlQONcHw

• Richard says:

If you like Gary Taubes’ work, check out Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Robert H. Lustig. Both have some good lecture videos on Youtube and books that are worth reading. Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek together wrote “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” as well as making large contributions to the modern Atkins diet program. Lustig’s biggest book is “Fat Chance,” based on his wildly popular 2009 lecture “Sugar: The Bitter Truth.”

18. varsityward says:

White Chicken Chili

12 to 14 chicken breast tenderloins 1 diced sweet onion
    4 T extra virgin olive oil 1 T cumin
    2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed Fresh cilantro, chopped
    3 diced bell peppers 2 cans white kidney beans
    4 diced fresh jalapeno peppers 1 can navy beans, crushed
    Over medium heat, sauté the chicken in the olive oil in a Dutch oven. After first side of chicken is very lightly brown, flip and sprinkle with bouillon. Add the peppers and onions on top and cover and cook on medium low heat until the ingredients release their moisture. Add the cumin and cilantro and continue to simmer. Add the cannellini (white kidney) beans. Add the crushed navy beans to thicken. Simmer uncovered to desired consistency.

This recipe contains no grains for thickening. It is easy and really satisfying. I actually like to make it in the late summer when the peppers from my garden are ready. It’s easy to get peppers from the store, so I can make it year round!

Last September I cut refined carbs from my diet. I’ve lost 75 pounds in 9 months. This recipe still fits in with my new way of eating!

19. litlbit2 says:

Fantastic idea, now I will need a recipe book that holds loose leaf paper! Bigger rubber bands.😉😉

20. varsityward says:

12 to 14 chicken breast tenderloins 1 diced sweet onion
    4 T extra virgin olive oil 1 T cumin
    2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed Fresh cilantro, chopped
    3 diced bell peppers 2 cans white kidney beans
    4 diced fresh jalapeno peppers 1 can navy beans, crushed

• varsityward says:

Sorry… the formatting got messed up! I hope you can still follow it if interested.
      No grains (flour or corn starch) for thickening in this recipe. I have been eating a no refined carb diet for the last 9 months, and I’ve lost 75 lbs. This recipe fits the bill and is easy and delicious!

• varsityward says:

White Chicken Chili

12 to 14 chicken breast tenderloins
      4 T extra virgin olive oil
      2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
      3 diced bell peppers
      4 diced fresh jalapeno peppers
      1 diced sweet onion
      1 T cumin
      Fresh cilantro, chopped
      2 cans white kidney beans
      1 can navy beans, crushed

• varsityward says:

So sorry for the endless posts… some of these didn’t come thru for awhile, and I guess patience is not one of my virtues!

22. Bruce says:

I had very high blood pressure and for 8 years I was on medication. A nurse told me she also had hereditary high BP and she cut out all salt and lowered it to 100/60. She is 66 years old. I did the same thing and my BP is 115/65 as long as I eat nothing with salt added. I use no medication unless I have eaten out and go over my sodium limit. I am also 66. I stay at about 500 mg sodium per day. I use the recipes in “Living well without Salt” You can visit megaheart.com and there are tons of free no salt food ideas. The author had chronic heart failure and was scheduled for a heart transplant 20 years ago. He never needed the transplant. I eat all fresh foods and very little meat. Mostly beans, veggies, and whole wheat pasta/rice/faro….etc. Enjoy.

• joninmd22 says:

Thanks Bruce. I was going to talk about salt further down as high blood pressure is a challenge for so many.

In cooking look for low or no salt products and check the sodium levels on the labels. Avoid The packaged rices as they’re loaded with salt for some reason.
      Del Monte has no salt added diced tomatoes that are excellent for pasta sauces.

23. 1IreneFlick3 says:

I would like to share this stuff. It’s an immune system builder that so far has cured my dad’s gall bladder cancer and my sister-in-law’s stepfather’s esophageal cancer with no other treatment. You can get it on Amazon (sorry, I don’t know where else). It’s called MGN-3, 250 mgs.

24. YvonneMarie says:

Combat Heart Disease with Diet.
    Lower the daily caloric in take.
    And eat more whole plant foods like legumes, starchy vegetables, green leafy vegetables.
    There are books & Info online about this trendy life style change. Plant Based Eating.

25. unconqueredone says:

Perhaps a bit OT since it’s not a recipe, only food related:
    While a very healthy distance runner, I’ve suffered lifelong migraines and general headaches 6 of 7 days a week. I am now virtually headache free having found migraines to be generally controlled by avoiding MSG (no surprise) but the big surprise was that even a small amount of dairy was a key factor in my daily headaches and a trigger to non-MSG migranes. If you are headache prone, by all means get allergy tested and then eat healthy! Some good recipes here, some of which I’ll be sure to try.

• Jimmy Jack says:

I’d add also checking your magnesium levels which helped me.

• rvsueandcrew says:

unconqueredone….. Great advice! I had headaches for many years. I did my own “allergy test.” I eliminated dairy, wheat, and chocolate. Headaches disappeared. After about six months I was able to eat those foods again (although I only do in moderation) without headaches. Aged cheeses (the good stuff!) was the worst for me.

I recommend keeping a food diary for anyone who suffers with headaches.

26. Jimmy Jack says:

Before I forget, I SWEAR by taking Cod Liver Oil tablets. I use Carlson’s Lightly Lemon (mid price range) and take 5 a day. If you have a cholesterol issue this will shoot your good cholesterols up in very short order (one to two months max). I suggested this to a friend and she was able to avoid statin drugs. Also cheaper than statins with none of the statin side effects to the liver.

As a by product, you will notice a difference in your skin which will be softer very quickly.

If you aren’t keen on fish but trying to boost your good Omegas, try these.

27. joshua says:

do you have a recipe for Congressional Black Couscous?

28. lizzieintexas says:

For those looking to add flavor without adding as much salt – this is a great blackened seasoning. We use it on fish, shrimp, chicken and it is wonderful on roasted or grilled veggies. This will make about 3 spice bottles worth. We usually make up a batch and give a bottle to each of our neighbors. Coat meat or veggies with a little olive oil or spray with non-stick canola oil and sprinkle on. It is not spicy but does add a lot of flavor.

4 T. paprika
    1 T. onion powder
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. cayenne pepper
    1 T. white pepper
    1 T. black pepper
    1 T. ground oregano
    1 T. ground thyme
    1 T. salt

Mix well and put in shaker bottles.

I like the smoked paprika but you can use sweet. I use kosher salt. T=tablespoon.

29. Richard says:

A daily staple for me are frittata muffins. 220 kcal each. Easy way to start the day and can generally tide you over until lunch (at which point you can eat more of them).

12 jumbo eggs
    1 lb. sausage (or ham, bacon, narwhal, unicorn, whatever you like)
    2 C shredded cheese (again, whatever kind you like. I use medium cheddar)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Brown and drain the sausage and set it aside.

Crack all the eggs into a big bowl with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use an electric mixer to beat them to a uniform consistency. Add the cheese & sausage and continue mixing until even.

You’ll need a couple of 12-cup standard-size muffin tins next. Spray or oil 14 cups, no liners. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350°F, then fill all 14 cups to the top with your frittata mix. (I use a gravy ladle for this, as it helps keep the mix even from cup to cup).

Bake for 25 minutes or until the egg is just barely set. Use a dull knife to go around each frittata in the cup, then get them out of the pans and set them aside to cool for an hour or two. Bag ’em up in a ziploc and freeze until needed.

If you eat one each morning, you’ll have enough for two weeks. A 1200W microwave can turn a frozen frittata into a hot one in 60 seconds.

30. Trumpmendous says:

Doug Kaufman at Know the Cause has a TV program that discusses fungus as the root cause of a majority of disease. He says eliminate fungus from your diet and you will lead a healthier life. Similar to a gluten free diet, but even more stringent, the diet removes toxin making elements from your menu. The following link allows you to watch his TV show and he also has recipes and various other information on his website.

31. Old Lady says:

I purchased a NutriBullet Pro (900 watts). I use a chocolate protein powder and 2 cups of fresh spinach in the mornings. You will not know spinach is in the drink if you pour it into a dark/opaque cup. Wonderful way to get half of the leafy greens I try to eat everyday.

My daughter’s Orthopedic surgeon studied fish oil supplements. He says Bayer Pro is the absolute best choice. I ordered mine from Amazon.

32. BebeTarget says:

This may sound odd to some, but it is delicious AND healthy. The coconut oil is a natural anti-bacterial and is a plus during flu season.
    2 scoops Organic coffee made with
    10 oz. water
    1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil
    1 Tablespoon Pure Butter (Kerrygold)
    Mix all with a high speed immersion blender (I use Bamix) for a couple of minutes. You will get a frothy, tasty cup of coffee. It can be sweetened with organic sugar, but you really don’t need it. Wonderful for your insides as well as the outside (smooth, silky skin). PLUS, high energy and is very satiating, not to mention the healthy fats in the butter and oil.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

And coconut oil is antifungal and antiviral not to mention antibacterial. I get the extra virgin organic coconut oil that I use for cooking, besides the Ca. Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. My dogs and I eat coconut oil daily. I use it topically for dry skin. I use it instead of lotion.

• Mary Kate Conly says:

I read about an ultra marathoner who basically drinks your coffee recipe as his only daytime nutrition, and then eats just one real meal a day, around dinner time.

He’s in his 60s and runs 100 mile races like it’s a walk down to the mailbox and back.

• BebeTarget says:

I forgot to mention the name Mary Kate . . . Bulletproof Coffee. It is amazing and can carry you through the entire day till dinner if you are busy. Great too, if you are trying to lose weight.

33. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Universal Fermented-Pickle Recipe
    Many firm vegetables—including cucumbers, summer squash, green beans, turnips, and green tomatoes—can be fermented. The only essential ingredients apart from the vegetables themselves are sea salt and bottled water.

Yields about 2 quarts

2 pounds sturdy vegetables, such as Kirby cucumbers, small zucchini, green beans, baby turnips, or green tomatoes
    • 6 4-inch sprigs fresh dill (including seed heads, if available)
    • 6 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
    • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    • 1 tablespoon dill seed
    • 6 level tablespoons sea salt (2.25-2.5 ounces)
    • 2 quarts bottled spring water

1. Wash and trim the vegetables, and pack into a one-gallon jar or crock. Tuck in the dill, garlic, and other aromatics as you go.

2. Dissolve the salt in the water, and pour over the vegetables to cover. Weight the vegetables with a plate so that they remain completely submerged. Alternatively, fill a Ziploc freezer bag with brine, and use it to submerge the vegetables. (Make extra brine using the same proportions if necessary). If using a jar, loosely close the lid. (Do not seal it so because gases produced by the ferment need to escape.) If using a crock, cover it with a plate or board to keep out unwanted visitors.

3. Store the ferment in a cool, dark place, and check daily. Skim any scum or flecks of mold. Insure that the vegetables remain submerged. The pickles will begin to sour in less than a week. You can eat them at any point in the fermenting process. Once soured to your likely, transfer the pickles to the refrigerator, and keep submerged in brine. They will keep for a month or longer.

The 6 Elements of Successful Fermenting

The six basic elements of all successful ferments are: vegetables, water, salt, aromatics, time, and care. At the bottom of this post, I’ll give you my Universal Fermenting Recipe, which is basically a simple ratio of salt to water with some added aromatics.

But the real secret to successful fermenting lies in your attention to the Six Elements, so I’ll start with each in turn.

Vegetables: As with all preserving, good results begin with good ingredients. Choose fresh, crisp, young vegetables picked at the height of the growing season. Rinse well, and trim the blossom end of cucumbers and squash to remove enzymes that can cause the pickle to soften. Vegetables can be sliced (zucchini spears), chunked (large cucumbers or squash), or left whole (green beans, small cucumbers, small green tomatoes).

As for greens: many dark leafy greens will develop an unpleasant chlorophyll taste. But when fermenting turnips I’ll sometimes add a handful of the tops, and trimmed chard stems make a good pickle.

Water: Tap water from municipal water systems has been treated with chlorine or chloramine to kill microbes. It will disrupt the beneficial bacteria you’re trying to encourage in your ferment. Always use bottled spring water instead.

Salt: Salt adds flavor, hardens the vegetables’ pectin to make pickles crunchy, and regulates bacterial growth. The brine will taste quite salty at first, but a portion of the salt is absorbed by the vegetables, and everything comes out right in the end.

Unrefined sea salt is the best choice. Salt’s weight-by-volume varies substantially with flake size, and sea salt will come closest to the recipe measurements. (Kosher salt, which is much flakier, will under-salt the brine.) Unrefined sea salt also contains trace minerals that yield a crunchier pickle.

Incidentally, there is no “right” amount of salt in a brine. The standard ratio of 5% salt by weight is a useful guideline, not a fixed rule. A less-salty brine will ferment faster, and extra salt will slow down a ferment. In summer’s heat, stick with the recipe below.

Aromatics: Be generous with aromatics, such as whole garlic cloves, sprigs of fresh dill and whole dill heads, and whole spices including black peppercorns, dill seeds, and caraway seeds. My recipe below gives suggestions, but don’t feel constrained by them. Other options include fresh horseradish, dried red chilies, and pearl onions.

Incidentally, one often sees the advice to add grape leaves or oak leaves to a ferment, the idea being that their tannins help crisp the pickle. It’s a nice touch, but not at all necessary.

Time: As mentioned, fermenting is a natural process, and it requires time to work. Warmer temperatures accelerate the process, and colder temperatures slow it down. In a comfortable room, around 70 degrees, the brine will begin to cloud in two days. Within three to four days, it will start to bubble and sour. The pickles will be half-sour in about a week, and fully sour in two weeks. At 80 degrees, the whole process might happen in a week. In a cool cellar, it might take three weeks or more. In a cold refrigerator, fermentation occurs imperceptibly over the course of months.

Care: Because of the variables inherent to each ferment (salt and temperature), the only way to judge your pickles’ process is to inspect them carefully. You can’t leave a crock or jar unattended for a week and expect good results. Instead, look at the pickles daily. Make sure they stay submerged (more on that below). Expect to find a thin film of yeast forming on the brine surface and maybe even tiny pinheads of mold. Don’t worry about these signs of life. Skim off the floaters and wipe the wall of the crock or jar if necessary. As long as you keep the micro-garden of your ferment well “weeded” by skimming daily, everything will be fine.

Once the pickles start to sour, taste daily. Once they are soured to your liking, put them in the fridge for keeping. They will last a month or longer.

34. This is the best kale recipe EVER!! All healthy ingredients, and better if you use organic. Full recipe makes huge amount, but I just reduce it down…even one bunch of kale makes a ton. This dish gets better with age, too…like the next day or even later. The kale breaks down some so it is not as hard as fresh kale. I don’t salt my food, so don’t bother with it if you don’t want the sodium…it only calls for “to taste” anyway. I use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, which is the healthiest and best over all. Even if you are not that excited about kale, I bet you will love this recipe. Good for a pot luck!

35. parteagirl says:

**Cari’s Cookies**

1/2 of a 15 oz can of Pumpkin
    I stick Lite Land O’ Lakes butter (room temperature)
    2 eggs
    1 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup white sugar

Cream together the above ingredients, then add:

1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups whole wheat flour (add slowly)
    2 cups quick-cook oats

Stir together. Cookie dough will be really thick.

Add 1 cup (half bag) chocolate chunks

Drop onto greased cookie sheet in a ping pong ball sized spoonful.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
    Yields about 3 dozen cookies.

I adapted this recipe to use half of the called-for sugar and less fat by using canned pumpkin for moisture instead of two sticks of butter. Whole wheat flour and oats adds fiber, and I cut the chocolate chips in half by using chocolate chunks instead. These are my kid’s favorites. Enjoy!

• varsityward says:

This recipe reminds me of one I developed as an alternative to those expensive Kashi cookies. I actually like my version better than the Kashi… I’ll have to try your recipe, too! I haven’t made these in a while, but everyone keeps clamoring for them. I called mine “Tree Huggers”.

Tree Huggers

2 C white whole wheat flour
      1 ½ tsp baking soda
      4 packs instant brown sugar maple oatmeal
      ¼ tsp nutmeg
      ⅛ tsp cinnamon

2 sticks butter, softened
      ¾ C brown sugar
      2 eggs
      2 tsp vanilla

¼ C flax seeds, toasted in butter for 3 min at 350°
      1 C chopped pecans, toasted in butter for 5 min at 350°
      1 ½ C bittersweet chocolate chips

Combine first 5 ingredients and set aside. Cream next 4 ingredients. Add dry ingredients and flax seeds, pecans, and chocolate chips to the creamed ingredients. Drop by tablespoonful onto greased pan. Bake at 350° for ~ 9 minutes.

36. cycle1 says:

For those who like lower carbs, here’ a recipe that’s quick and nutritious. Can of tuna in olive oil. Add more olive oil and heat in frying pan. Add some cayenne pepper, lemon juice, garlic powder and some salt to taste. Finally add lots of peas and/or green beans to get your veggies. Also add your favorite cheese toward end of cooking for some more protein.

The above can also be baked in the oven if you prefer.

Can also do the above with canned salmon where you add capers. I never used to eat a lot of fish, but I eat more fish due to these simple concoctions.

I note I like a lot of olive oil because it helps my digestion. Olive oil, as far as digestion, works similarly to castor oil.
    If you do not like the strong olive oil taste, buy the lightest olive oil you can find.

BTW. I am of the school that low fat is not what is necessarily best for controlling weight. I personally have found that it’s too much starch and higher glycogen foods that make me put on weight. If I do a 1 hour plus bicycle ride, however, I eat carbs before and immediately after to replenish energy stores and aid in recovery.

37. ThingsWeTakeForGranted says:

Ratatouille

With all the summer veggies coming out of the garden, I found this easy to make and cheap. I do not add the cheese and it tastes very good. This falls in my safe food category.

38. Mary Kate Conly says:

I lost 33 lbs during the GOP primaries and ended up at a great healthy weight for Election Day 2016!

Two tips to maintain weight loss:

Purchase a digital scale for yourself and your food. Weigh yourself daily, and weigh out your ingredients when you aren’t sure of the calorie count. Use an app or website like Calorie King to find out how many calories are in your ingredients. Log what you eat / calories consumed in a daily journal, along with your weight and exercise. You’ll start to see a pattern where your favorite numbers from the scale start to align with periods of healthy eating and exercise.

Eat the same foods that helped you lose weight, as you maintain. I buy chicken breast, shredded broccoli and carrots, red peppers and low calorie / high fiber tortillas each week. I fill the tortilla with the raw veggies and chicken, add a drizzle of low calorie salad dressing, and I have a cheap healthful lunch in seconds. Repeating my breakfast and lunch foods, and many dinners, makes me really enjoy the variety of a special meal. And it makes shopping a breeze. My other staples are eggs, low fat yogurt, and high fiber English muffins.

• StormyeyesC says:

another good app is Lose It! works great at maintaining and making you aware of what you eat

• Menagerie says:

I am addicted to my Fitbit, and I love the community and the challenges you can participate in. The Fitbit site has a food log that I find excellent, and the app on your phone makes it easy to keep up with your food. Using it keeps up with calories you’ve burned walking and working out, and gives you a really good picture of what you are doing daily. You can keep up with water too, if you need to.

39. Richard says:

Extra bacon. Avocado and cream cheese are good. Minimize carbs and wean yourself from sugar, wheat, potatoes, starch, rice, bread, pasta, etc. You will still get some carbs (e.g. the bun for your bacon cheeseburger or small amounts in some vegetables or the BBQ sauce for your ribs). I’ve been doing this for a month and have lost about a pound a week.

40. mireilleg says:

A great salad:
    Aragula, chunks of goat cheese, pistachios.
    Dressing small amount of salt, black pepper, lemon juice, olive oil.
    Quantities to your liking. I rarely measure anything.

Toss and eat. If you can induldge in a small piece of bread then your favorite all grain slice. I prefer a piece of authentic french baguette. If it is in plastic bag it’s not french baguette. Only a local bakery can provide that and I understand we don’t all have this luxury.

41. enny2015 says:

long time reader. first time posting comment. love this topic. love this site. huge Trump supporter.
    agree on plant base diet. i add tiny little bit of animal protene some day.
    use My fitness pal to track food intake, exercise and weight.
    just today it says lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks.
    another 32 to go!
    have been eating salads or wraps mostly.

42. dbethd says:

Simple snacks:
    Apple Cinnamon Slices
    Slice an apple into thin slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Serve warm

Turkey & Pineapple kabobs
    Layer turkey slices & pineapple chunks onto skewers.

Turkey sticks/jerky

43. dbethd says:

This one is kid tested (mother approved) 🙂
    Flourless Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies
    Minutes to Prepare: 12
    Minutes to Cook: 25
    Number of Servings: 16
    • 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    • ½ cup sunflower butter
    • 1/3 cup honey
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/3 cup chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons for reserve (I use dairy-free CC)
    • sea salt, for sprinkling

1. Drain, rinse and dry chickpeas.
    2. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips and sea salt to blender. Blend until smooth.
    3. Hand mix chocolate chips until mixed in.
    4. Spread in 8 x 8 pan; sprinkle with sea salt and 2 tbsp chocolate chips.
    5. Bake for 25 minutes.

44. dbethd says:

Chicken Broccoli Casserole (dairy-free, gluten-free)

2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
    4 cups fresh broccoli florets
    1 medium white onion, diced (use 1/2 onion to cut carbs, if desired)
    Sea salt and pepper
    8 oz. mushrooms sliced
    3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
    1 cup chicken bone broth
    1 cup full fat coconut milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole pan with half the coconut oil and set aside. Steam the broccoli until just barely cooked and set aside, uncovered. In a sauce pan melt the coconut oil, brown the onions and season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms, sauté until cooked and move the pan off the heat. Transfer the broccoli, mushroom, onions, and shredded chicken into the casserole pan distributing evenly. Mix the bone broth, coconut milk, eggs, nutmeg with a generous pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl with a whisk and pour it over the contents of the casserole dish. Make sure the mixture is spread evenly and all the contents are covered. Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 35 to 40 minutes until done in the middle. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

45. Rejuvenated says:

Here’s a wonderful dip you can pair with your preferred dipping tool (veggies, crackers, tortillas, etc.)
    Black Bean Humus
    2 C. black beans (rinse, cook, rinse again)
    1/3 C. lemon juice
    1 tsp salt (adjust to your diet)
    1/2 red bell pepper (or 3 mini bell peppers)
    1/2 tsp. guajillo chili powder (or use your favorite chili powder to vary heat/taste)
    1 tsp toasted onion powder
    1 tsp toasted garlic powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander (I usually add at least 1 tsp, but I like the citrus notes)
    Olive oil

Put everything in a food processor and add olive oil until ingredients are covered halfway. Start blending. Add more oil as needed until you have a smooth, creamy looking paste. Adjust seasonings to your preference. If you want to give it a little more beneficial kick, add 1/4 tsp both turmeric and black pepper. Turmeric is great for many health issues and black pepper enables the release of turmeric’s benefits.

46. dbethd says:

Pepperoni Pizza Egg Casserole Yields 8
    Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 55 min Total time: 1 hr

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    18 large eggs, beaten
    1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    10 to 12 turns freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced plus more whole leaves for top
    1/3 cup pizza sauce
    5 ounces high-quality pepperoni(I use turkey slices as my daughter can’t have beef/pork)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a large baking dish.

• dbethd says:

oops didn’t get all of it:

In a large mixing bowl, crack eggs. Add Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Whisk or beat until slightly foamy.

Reserving some of the whole basil leaves and whole pepperoni for the top of the egg casserole. thinly slice the majority of both the basil leaves and pepperoni and toss in with the beaten eggs.

Pour the egg mixture into the greased casserole dish.
      Add pizza sauce by pouring about 1 Tablespoon (doesn’t need to be exact) at a time into casserole, trying to distribute evenly.

Gently place remaining whole basil leaves and whole pepperoni slices on top of the casserole (it’s OK if some sinks in, it will rise while cooking).

Bake uncovered on center rack for 55 to 60 minutes until center is firm to touch and edges are beginning to brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, slice into 8 squares and Enjoy!

47. Rick says:

Ah!! Don’t get me going about DDE (Disease, Diet & Exercise)
    I could write volumes hear about the above but I will try to reduce my thoughts to a couple paragraphs.

First, the food we eat today is not what our great/grandparents prepared. It is loaded with chemicals, preservatives, GMO’s and other fillers that we can’t even imagine. I personally think that High Cholesterol and Diabetes are conditions that can be treated in a great percentage of the population WITHOUT DRUGS. Unfortunately, Big Pharma, the FDA, & the AMA have different agendas, and it’s not finding permanent cures or improving the patient’s wellness as the top priority.
    Statin prescription and the rising Diabetes epidemic in America is BIG MONEY! It’s a nice chunk of the TRILLIONS, Sundance talks about.

Second, do the research and get second/third opinions in regard to your personal health. Don’t rely on Primary Care physicians, dietitians and others just because you made ONE appointment and they sent you off with a plan or a prescription. The internet offers us a way to educate ourselves and a way to connect with people who have similar problems. All the Fad diets, exercise regimes, and Pharma pills work differently for all people. Our bodies are unique, but all of us from birth to death have compromised our immune systems over our years of life. That comes from many different forms of a “little too much of the things that are not good for us”.

However, our bodies are remarkable machines and many CONDITIONS ARE NOT DISEASES, and in many people they can be REVERSED TO normal levels of health.

Here is a simple detox that is great for the Liver and Pancreas. (Two important organs that help regulate glucose and cholesterol levels) So, it would make sense to “tune-up” these working parts of the body.

Start each morning on an empty stomach with the following for three weeks, once a month for the next 11 months. Repeat annually. (you must be strict without missing a day during the three week cleanse)

8 oz glass of warm water
    add:
    1 tsp Organic Honey
    1 T Fresh Lime Juice
    1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp tumeric
    1/8 tsp rosemary
    1/8 tsp cinamon

Removing toxins is an important step to wake up the body’s immune system.
    I was fortunate to have a very healthy life for my first 61 years….then BAM! Out of nowhere, symptoms developed and I went into the hospital with ketoacidosis (DKA) Blood sugar at 485.
    In light of the crazy Obamacare rules and requirements to have Primary Care Physicians to “refer” you, I didn’t get to an Endo for 6 weeks after hospital release of two days of stabilization.

Primary care doctor almost killed me by increasing my insulin dosage. I went into low blood sugar (because my Pancreas was creating sufficient insulin but the proper tests were not run and Obamacare did not allow me to get to an Endo without referral) So, I took the bull by the horn and did my own research on line and saw an Endo as a cash pay patien, but that still took a month before he could see me) Make a long story short, the steps I took in the interim, happened to be the right ones and when I finally got to the Endo, he couldn’t believe the results of my improvement. Physically, I went from a BS level of 486 to normal non-diabetic levels in 4 months.

I take no diabetic meds and have been in normal Blood Sugar ranges for the past 18 months. This is primarily because of diet changes, but the biggest changes because I read about the experiences of others with similar conditions and doing the research…while my results are not possible for all, it is very possible for a great percentage of people who feel they are being held hostage by a condition that can be reversed.

Eat well, not too much at any one sitting, stay off of processed foods as much as possible, a little water at wake up and prior to eating along with a small salad with meals (Even a few spinach leaves is a plus) walking is good exercise, light resistance training and prayers for good health go a long way in improving your physical and mental state.

• Menagerie says:

Question. If I’m reading you correctly you do this cleanse 3 out of 4 weeks for 11 months of the year?

• Kathy says:

Sounds to me like an “annual” cycle:
        MONTH 1 — drink every day for 21 days in a row.
        MONTHS 2 through 12 — drink one day per month.
        MONTH 13 — repeat the 21-days-in-a-row cleanse.

• BAM says:

I think he means 3 of 4 weeks for the first month, then once a month for 11 months. I think what’s not clear is one week or one day.

• Rick says:

No, my bad. The first month is for three weeks straight. Then I follow up with 1 day per month for the rest of the year. The 13th month I start over with a three week cleanse again, then back to 1 day of the drink for the next 11 months!

48. dbethd says:

Chewy Cinnamon Cranberry No-Bake Granola Bars
    Makes 10 bars
    • 2 C old fashioned rolled oats(certified gluten free for gluten free bars)
    • 1/2 C crispy cereal such as a crispy rice cereal
    • 3/4 C dried cranberries
    • 1/4 C coconut oil(alternatively, use butter)
    • 1/4 C brown sugar
    • 1/4 C honey
    • pinch sea salt
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • 1 tsp cinnamon

1. Lightly grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
    2. In a bowl, stir together the oats, crispy cereal and cranberries and set aside.
    3. In a small pot combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, honey and pinch of salt. Heat the mixture up and stir well to completely dissolve the brown sugar.
    4. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
    5. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Once completely combined, pour the mixture into the prepared 8×8 pan and press down very well with a spatula(lightly oiled if the mixture is sticking).
    Cool completely before cutting into 10 bars(if they seem to pull apart while cutting into bars, place in the fridge for 20 minutes before slicing). Wrap individually in paper or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
    (It works best to store these in the refrigerator. They don’t seem to stick together well at room temp for me)

49. dbethd says:

Slow Cooker Refried Beans (the Pioneer Woman)
    PREP TIME: 10 Min DIFFICULTY: Easy COOK TIME: 12 Hours SERVINGS: 8
     1 pound Dried Pinto Beans (or Kidney Beans, Black Beans)
     1 Onion, Peeled And Shredded
     4 cloves Garlic, Minced
     1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
     2 teaspoons Sea Salt
     1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
     Optional Add-ins, Such As Ham Bone Or Bacon Strips
     7 cups Water
     Salt And Pepper, to taste
     Optional Toppings, To Serve (See Note)

Pour dried beans in the slow cooker. Add shredded onion, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. For a richer flavor, add a ham bone or a couple of bacon strips to the crock.

Pour the water over the top of the beans and cover tightly. Turn slow cooker on high and cook for 8–10 hours. You can also cook on low for 12 hours or longer.

Once beans are very tender, remove the ham bone or bacon if necessary. Depending on your slow cooker, you may have excess liquid in the crock. Scoop 1 ½ cups of the bean liquid out of the crock and reserve.

Use an immersion blender or a potato masher to smash the beans into a relatively smooth texture. Add some of the bean liquid back in if needed to reach the right consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve as-is or sprinkle with your favorite toppings. Serve warm.

50. dbethd says:

I have a few more I could share, but I don’t want to overwhelm people. haha