Thank You God, For Men. Real Men.

The_Creation_of_Adam26 God said, ‘Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven, the cattle, all the wild animals and all the creatures that creep along the ground.’

27 God created man in the image of himself, in the image of God he created him, male and female he created them.

I had an experience this weekend that made me think about men, about masculinity. It seems manhood is under attack these days from many directions. Indeed, in my opinion, a part of what so offends so many people about President Trump, especially Hillary supporters, is his unapologetic masculinity. He is a man who knows his power and embraces it.

That being said (and I can’t believe I put it in here, knowing where it could lead) please don’t make this another political free for all. My point here is broader.

To all you guys out there, tough guys, whether you express that inner strength clad in a business suit or well worn jeans and work boots, please accept the appreciation and approval of those of us who celebrate who and what you are, and what you do. Every day in ways large and small, you go out and just get the job done. You don’t ask for approval, thanks, or cheers because it just wouldn’t occur to you, and you are too busy getting things done to stop for recognition.

Lots of feminists have a problem with men. I believe they throw around terms like patriarchy,  which they probably never looked up in their Funk and Wagnalls. Some humans with an X chromosome, and a few without one, appear to be threatened by the reality of masculinity.

Get a grip chicks, if you are really okay with who and what you are, men are not a threat, but a gift, not competition, but complementary. If your “feminine power” must be derived from the destruction of the epic event of God’s creation, you are pathetic already and men have nothing to do with that failure, you own it.

I’m not even going to waste breathe here encouraging men to not allow women to define their masculinity. He who does that is already beyond my poor advice.

ConnerJune20174Men. All ages, sizes, colors, and other assorted variations. You were different from the moment of conception, and thank God for that. As a child you were faster, stronger, dirtier, and louder. You were often fearless while I stood beside you weighing the odds and assessing the situation. You climbed the tree while I looked for the ladder. You snuck out with the family car while I was cajoling dad for the keys.

In my day, back in the Dark Ages, as we grew into teens and young men and women, you actually appreciated my femininity and rewarded me with attention and admiration. Many of you were kind enough to open doors for me, walk alongside the curb beside me, and lift heavy objects before I tried to. You paid the bill for our dates, and if you ever wanted another one, you walked me to the door.

Because God is good, and loving, and gives us abundant graces and good things, in the early days of my womanhood, I fell in love with this wondrous creature God made from dust and clay. That right there ought to be a hint to us, man from dirt, earthy, strong, fundamental. But, I digress.

I married a man. A for real not apologizing for it man. He has muscles and strength and brawn and intelligence and toughness, a toughness that nothing in this world has ever even come close to breaking. Not even a little crack. Not once in all our years (41 Monday) has he ever even paused in the face of terrible trials and hardships. Now, I know him. I know that he isn’t a robot and he isn’t superman. Sure he’s had doubts, fears, and moments of desperation.

He never once, not one time, not ever considered giving in to them. On his shoulders landed the burdens that would have crushed me and our family without him. God alone knows the weight he bore. His faith was apparent and he led our family to church, led us in faith and worship. The kind that isn’t really so much talked about as lived.

So today, as we honor fathers, I just wanted to throw out a little appreciation for men. I pray that as the world turns and we learn from our mistakes, someday it is popular and honored for men to be men again. Soldiers, sailors, welders, business men, teachers, pipefitters, salesmen, truck drivers, nurses, doctors, lawyers, preachers, rabbis, priests. Fathers, husbands, sons.

Thank you God for making men. Thank you for making them in your image. If you, Father, are the model from which my husband was formed, I sure am going to be so happy to meet you. Thank you, for all the wonderful men you gifted us with, especially your Son.

Added note. To all who were here with us when my grandson Conner had his heart surgery almost two years ago now, who have asked so frequently how he’s doing, I added his picture. Yep, he’s one of the next generation of fearless daredevil boys in the family. His favorite thing is climbing and jumping, which he’s in the process of doing here. Thank you all for remembering him.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

228 Responses to Thank You God, For Men. Real Men.

1. Amen. We need more real men and less pajama boy progtard sissies.

2. Deadbeat says:

Remember that Feminism was NEVER about women rights. It was ALWAYS the plan of Cultural Marxists to sow dissension and to destroy the family which is the basis and building blocks of all societies.

• joshua says:

and the Great Society was not about helping poor people get out of poverty, nor about Black People getting independent of govt welfare benefits.

3. kenmar1965 says:

“On his shoulders landed the burdens that would have crushed me and our family without him. God alone knows the weight he bore.”

I am sure many men can relate to this.
    Happy Father’s Day men.

4. Brenda Purington says:

Thank you for the open letter. I think I will print it to remind to thank God for the men in my life who I never appreciate enough, especially my husband.

5. Viva Flame says:

sharing you beautiful thoughts
    with us & with me!
    God Bless You & your
    wonderful Famlly!

6. Colorado Conservative says:

Menangerie, THANK YOU for this lovely column. It brought me to tears and I printed it off to include in the card for my wonderful husband of many decades.

7. Matt says:

My father was the greatest man I’ve ever known. Even though I was only 18 when he died of a brain tumor more than 30 years ago, he taught me how to be a man more than I could have imagined, by his Christian faith and his “strong silent type” personality. He joined the US Marine Corps in 1939 be cause he once told me another war was on it’s way and he was right. He was at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked, and then fought with the First Marine Division on Guadalcanal. After contracting malaria and a respite in New Zealand he returned to the states, became an MP and met my mom at Camp Lejeune, who was also in the Marines. The rest is history as they say. Should I see and speak to him again, I will never be able to thank him enough for his honorable example.

8. Steve says:

Menagerie,

I just read your post again. Almost makes me wish I was a girl so I could find myself a good guy.
    (Yea I know, that’s a thing now but I’m not playing along)

I especially liked your description of your husband and how he never pauses in the face of hardship and calamity. I remember talking to my wife once and she asked how I could compartmentalize stuff. (I think it was when were planning her dad’s funeral)

I said “I’m a guy, sometimes I can’t have feelings.”

We have to push the emotions aside and get on with the business. It’s both a blessing and a burden, one that we men gladly accept the moment we say “I do.”

I posted earlier that I lead a Trail Life USA troop. I’ll be reading large sections of your post to our young men at our meeting tomorrow

• Menagerie says:

Thank you. We need our young men to be strong and good and true. I’m praying for our next generations of men and women. They will carry a heavy load indeed.

9. All American Snowflake says:

Menagerie, You have been blessed. How fortunate for you to have a wonderful husband, father, son.
    However, I consider American women the most fortunate of women because we live in a country like America where most men, well not the Liberal ones, but most men are decent, caring men. Have you ever had the misfortune to met up with men from other countries who are mean, nasty and ugly? Seriously when I was in Europe I was appalled at the behavior of the males there. God only knows how I would feel about Muslims and the walk-behind-me Chinese if I had the occasion to visit their countries.

BTW: My boyfriend is from Belarus.

10. greenvalleygal says:

My husband a real man! Thank you, Jesus for blessing me

11. Pamela Young says:

A wonderful article on our valligant Knights in Shining Armour! Thank you Managerie. for writing this piece! 🙏🏻

12. dbethd says:

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

13. Thank you for sharing about Conner & the challenges your family faced during the medical crisis related to his early heart surgery. Do you write more about these medical issues, or does another family member, for I’d love to read more?

FYI, I shared a link to this posting and your 2015 post about prayers for Conner on my blog. Please feel free to check out some of my writings about our family’s journey in special needs, including heart surgery.

Blessings to you and your extended family. What a privilege it is to face those extremely trying challenges in life alongside of a strong & godly man!
    In Christ,