Dept. of Veterans Affairs Fires Louisiana VA Director…

As an outcome of the systemic corruption and administrative malfeasance uncovered by whistleblowers in the Veterans Affairs healthcare system, on April 27th President Trump and Vice-President Pence participate in an Executive Order signing to enhance the accountability and whistleblower protections within federal government.

President Trump created the VA Accountability Office.  This was a major campaign promise to veterans fulfilled.  You could tell by the intensity of delivery this was a very important reform objective to President Trump personally.  Now today…

(Via Fox News) The director of the beleaguered Shreveport VA hospital in Louisiana has been fired following a three-year tenure filled with scandal — including accusations of covering up a secret wait-list, creating severe staffing shortages and refusing to buy essentials like vital signs machines, linens or mattresses.

Toby Mathew, who became director of Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in June 2014, was fired on April 13 due to “charges related to general misconduct, and failure to follow policy and provide effective oversight of the Center’s credentialing and privileging program,” said an internal VA memo obtained by Fox News.

This is the highest-profile employee removal since Secretary Eric Shinseki left in May 2014 following news of the massive wait-list scandal at the Phoenix VA hospital. Last week, President Trump signed an executive order creating an office within the VA to make it easier to fire bad employees – an issue that Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., had championed for several years. Trump also fired two employees in the Caribbean on his second day in office.

Mathew could not be reached for comment.

The VA confirmed his removal in a brief statement: “Toby Mathew was removed from employment as director of the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport, La., effective April 13, and he is no longer at VA.”  (read more)

Creating the Office of Accountability

This entry was posted in Military, President Trump, Uncategorized, VA Scandal. Bookmark the permalink.

145 Responses to Dept. of Veterans Affairs Fires Louisiana VA Director…

1. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

• Bob says:

What would a man put in this position of trust pull something like this….it has all the fingerprint of Obama. Let’s make sure he really is gone, not like the two women that were reinstated after ripping of the system.

• Unfortunately, Obama is not really gone until the incompetent liberals he appointed are gone as well. But I sense some things happening……I believe the reason Trump is seeking cuts in the ABC agencies’ budgets is so that he can roll back personnel and fire the Obama appointees.

Dollar to a donut that next year he seeks a restoration of those budgets and then appoints his own people…..The purge is on…. And they cannot contest it it if he does it this way.

• wheatietoo says:

Take his pension…and his coat!

• Donna in Oregon says:

Does anyone know how the government can lay-off workers that the Executive branch decides are not needed anymore during a shut-down? I wonder if President Trump will use the shut-down to get rid of the 15 Civil Rights Immigration lawyers Obama put into civil service so they couldn’t be removed when Pres. Trump assumed office.

These lawyers are working with illegals to give them amnesty. They are open border activists. Just wondering if this shut-down is more than it appears to be in September.

• Emily Summer says:

There are rules in place to get rid of civil service employees but it is a long process. I saw it first hand. I would think it would be easier if these lawyers are found to be aiding criminals, which illegals are. They could transfer them, I suppose, but not sure.

• AJ says:

I work for the feds and it is very easy to fire someone for criminal activities or for not following the required policies and regulations your job is subject to if the infraction(s) are serious. It is very hard to fire a layabout douche. The reason people don’t get fired is that for the most part they are among fellow travelers in the govt, a kind of govt employee UniParty concept.
          Trump could mandate only the hiring of veterans and if there are no vets available the job stays open until the next fiscal year. The purpose would be to dilute the civilian component with better candidates.

• ThingsWeTakeForGranted says:

They can terminate the position as no longer needed. Management can do anything.

2. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

• R-C says:

Since you wrote EXACTLY what I was going to write–you beat me to it–I’ll just ‘take ownership’ of this second posting and call it my own. This sentiment needs to be expressed twice, in my opinion.

I was also going to say, “Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!”, but on further reflection, this loser deserves to get bonked by the door on his way out.

I’m certain this ‘head’ is but the first to ‘roll’ in the Veterans’ Swamp-ministration.

3. calbear84 says:

Merit based employment…what a concept!

4. FLEEVY says:

Make America Great Again. Fire and arrest all grifters exploiting vets and failing to deliver.

5. Scott says:

The stone cut from the hill is starting to get some momentum. It will continue to do so as it rolls down the hill.

6. auscitizenmom says:

Glad to hear it. Let’s have more.

7. fleporeblog says:

Our President’s love for the military, both active and veterans, is just mesmerizing. VA employees are realizing that with the latest EO, there will be hell to pay if our vets aren’t taken care of. It is sad and criminal in my mind that it had to take our Lion being elected for our vets to matter.

8. Daniel says:

No!!! I don’t want him gone so quickly or quietly. I want him to protest this termination. I want to see him made into a public spectacle for all to see… for all other Piece Of Crap government people to sit up and take notice.

There’s blood in the water and as a veteran who has refused to use the VA services due to their horrific reputation, I want to see more of these people done away with.

• patrickhenrycensored says:

This is one of those people I would like to introduce my experience in ‘the jungle’ to, and then let him try to heal up in his hospital.

• fleporeblog says:

Daniel I absolutely agree! For all those veterans that died because of his mismanagement, he should be put on death row.

From the article:

Next came the story of social worker Shea Wilkes, who discovered a secret wait-list in 2013 that had 2,700 names, including 37 people who had died awaiting care. He pushed the VA inspector general to investigate, but instead the agency made Wilkes the target of a criminal investigation that lasted a year. It ended only after the Office of Special Counsel became involved. Mathew, who was director during that time, denied that a wait-list existed.

• R-C says:

I too have refused to use VA medical services. I retired after 21 years as an infantryman and paratrooper. ALL of my peers retired with a minimum of 30% disability–many have a higher percentage than that. By extension, having chewed the same dirt; gotten flattened during the same parachute jumps; and having fired the same weapons, etc, right alongside my peers all that time, I could reasonably assume to have ‘achieved’ a similar ‘disability’.

But! I never even finished the VA physical, and therefore have “0%” disability. Why? Because I don’t need the care. I am fortunate to be able to get adequate care on my own. I am willingly ceding that promised VA care to those whose need is far greater than my own.

We now have 15+ years of wartime wounded to look after; I am ‘small potatoes’ by comparison.

And this action by President Trump & his steely-eyed administration? JUST what the doctor ordered. I hope they go through that messed up organization like a buzz saw.

• JC says:

Thank you for your service, Daniel. I am so sorry that you endured and had to refuse VA care. Horrible. I am so appalled by this wretched criminal, Toby Mathews, I can’t bear it. Sic ’em, Mr. President and Secretary Shulkin.

• wheatietoo says:

Personally, I would like to see public floggings and hangings…but that’s just me.

These scumbags deserve some pain for what they have done to our beloved Vets.

• eagledriver50 says:

I have JUST started using the VA services and they are whole lot better than they were when I cam through in 2009.

• mikeyboo says:

Glad to hear you are getting better care now. At least now if there is a problem, we have an Administration that is actually willing to fix it.

• trialbytruth says:

Eagle my brother in Law swear by the VA He lives in Tyler TX. I believe he goes to Houston. We have a VA Hospital here in Saginaw Mi. The Vets Ive talked to indicate they get well served their. I guess their is a wide discrepancy in the quality of care. I do Have heard the testimony and seen the picture of the neglect and abuse that takes place in some of these facillities. IMO we need VA specialty services for some of our Vets. However I believe the majority of our vets would do better with Vet advocates (benefit tour guides and form pushers) and a Roles Royce health plan.

• eagledriver50 says:

I am from Tyler, Texas. Born and raised…went to TK Gorman and Tyler Junior College. Lived there all my life until I enlisted due to getting my draft number still in high school…Small World!!!!!!!!!

• I had a friend who was a Vietnam vet and he loved his VA care here in Oregon. My Dad didn’t actually use the VA, but he took my uncle to VA appointments. Both men – my Dad and the Vietnam vet acted offended when I said something negative about the VA. I think the camaraderie of people who’ve been to H3ll earlier in their lives meant a lot to them. It seemed disloyal to badmouth the staff.
          And I agree, there appear to be huge differences in management and care throughout the U.S.

• jrapdx says:

My wife and I are both veterans and familiar with VA health care in Oregon. While the system has its quirks by and large what’s been provided has been as good or better as anything available in the private sector. That’s not to say everything’s perfect, and as we know quality varies quite a bit around the country.

You are absolutely right about the “ambiance” of the VA, it’s quite special vs. “ordinary” health clinics. The old warriors, men and women, may be no less cantankerous than other elderly, sick or wounded people, but overhearing them tell their stories to each other is a curiously uplifting experience.

• elize says:

Exactly, I’ve utilized the VA medical facilities. The only thing the main centers do well is bill my private insurance. The stories we vets could tell would keep a 24/7 news station busy for years. I refuse to step into one now. The little local VA check-in clinic and doctor is great, of course that Dr. is a vet himself, but the others….I wouldn’t take my dog into one.

9. Pam says:

It’s about time that our veterans receive the treatment that they have earned through their service and sacrifice. Second best for them isn’t going to cut it. It’s great to see POTUS keeping his campaign promises to our military.

• Minnie says:

Our debt of gratitude to the servicemen and women of our military can never be repaid, the least we should do is support their medical care.

It’s not rocket science.

10. filia.aurea says:

We need a spate of firings/buy outs across every agency, this is very good news.

11. Sean Supsky says:

Excellent. Now we can have accountability. No more of sloughing off our vets, mistreating them and killing them. They deserve to be honored, not desecrated.

12. M33 says:

Draining the swamp as promised.

Loving it!!!

13. Donna in Oregon says:

The picture of the lion licking his paw comes to mind….. This day is delicious!

14. FofBW says:

ooooorahh!!

15. Neural says:

While cleaning up the VA came too late for many, I seriously hope this is the start of something new that will afford living veterans with care by people who actually *want* them to be alive and healthy.

16. telerider says:

See ya, Toby…

17. BAM!! BAM!! BAM!!! … Dont love our vets and treat ’em right ….be gone swamp dweller, unAmerican POS!

18. O.F. says:

General Shinseki was an honorable man. He fell on his sword to protect Obama from any criticism of Obama’s disdain for American veterans and military members.

• Bob says:

Then he wasn’t an honorable man. You don’t sell your soul for a job or a less than honorable person like Obama. Notice did not say man…..

• ALEX says:

Lots of good people were sold out by Obama…So much more convenient to set people up…If guys like this are hiding information then anybody can be framed or intentionally misinformed…

19. Gil says:

Trump loves our military and anyone i mean anyone who tries to say he doesnt is truly severely suffering from TDS.

20. All American Snowflake says:

This guy, Toby Mathew, even looks slimy from too much swamp living…. the sneer on his face should be immortalized with Ozymandias’.

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    ‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

21. Now if Trump would just investigate the Federal Hiring system, where NO conservatives are hired…period! When the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was staffed, 100% of the newly hired employees are proglodytes. If you use the demonrats own method of determining systematic discrimination, the percentage of conservatives in the general population should be reflected in the employee group. If not, that is proof of discrimination.

For Trump: This is how you do it.
    1: Invite a lawsuit from a conservative law group.
    2: Conservative law group files it in a friendly court.
    3: Trump administration refuses to defend the accusation. (obama did this with gay marriage)
    4: Settle the suit by agreeing to “affirmative action” for conservative employees. (corrective action)
    5: Fire the people responsible for the discrimination.
    This is how the demonrats have been doing it. Now get busy as time is wasting!

“The best defense is a good offense.”
    –not sure who said that, but it’s my motto–

22. TwoLaine says:

BRAVO! 1 down, how many more to go?

23. I refrained from posting the obligatory Trump “You’re Fired” GIF because I figured it would already be here. Wha’ happened? 😀 😀 😀 😀

24. Atticus says:

Winning.

25. Jimmy Jack says:

Good. Clean house. Our vets deserve the best.

26. Paul Killinger says:

And remember, it was Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman BERNIE SANDERS who personally claimed they’d fixed this scandal when it first broke.

COVERED IT UP is what they did, with President Zero standing where he always did, right behind them!

27. Weeper says:

If you Serve, you Deserve!!!! 🇺🇸

28. sobriquet4u says:

As the spouse of retired USAF and the parent of a disabled Marine, (Iraq/Afganistan) and a USAF disabled son-in-law (Iraq) I salute you President Trump. I have wept so many tears over the treatment of my family members and friends over the stories I have heard and witnessed my self while sitting outside VA facilities. I also have witnessed abuse of the VA by those who in my opinion should have never been drawing a check. No service injuries but they “knew” someone in a higher level who pushed them through in front of young disabled soldiers and Marines. They not only receive a monthly check ($400) they drew $10k in back pay. Both rode a desk during Vietnam era. You may be saying to yourself that $400 is nothing…but IMHO if your retirement income per year is $100k plus then why do you need the $400?

• ALEX says:

Thanks for all you have done and your family…I posted above about a combat Vietnam Veteran friend of family who refuses to use VA except once for eyeglasses that I am aware of and he has made this point……He has the money for private care and he feels he should not take away from those like his friends who are truly in need of extensive medical care and just can’t afford the cost…

29. chbailey says:

What is the percentage of VA Hospitals that fail our Veterans and those that deliver A+ service to them? I would like the VA Hospitals that deliver great care to veterans to be acknowledged.

30. Publius Jenkem says:

Incompetence, especially in leadership positions, cannot be tolerated. More of this, please President Trump.

31. SteveInCO says:

What kind of cesspool floater corruptly feathers his own nest at the expense of sick people–much less sick veterans?

Hell ain’t hot enough.

32. Tim702 says:

I have a biased opinion here because my Dad, 82nd Airborne, passed away in Arizona in 2012. I say let the dominoes begin their journey. Clean house completely!

33. My dad loves Overton Brooks and dosen’t have a bad thing to say about it, except for some of the wait times to get to see a specific specialty. doctor. He said the guy that got fired was a real shithead.

34. TONYA PARNELL says:

LONG WAY TO GO TO DRAIN THE SWAMP, CANNOT WAIT FOR ALL THEIR SORRY ASSES TO BE FIRED.

35. snaggletooths says:

I love a good house cleaning its terrible that our Government is set up in such a way its very hard to get rid of horrible employee’s be great to eliminate unions in Government which is a huge part of the problem ( especially in the Postal service) management normally are not union but they are overboard protected. Its like teachers who get tenure I think they should all work on performance contracts, perform or no renewal.

36. Alf says:

Excellent. More draining the swamp please

37. Kaco says:

I know someone in my community whose step-father died of legionella because of the VA complex in Pennsylvania. It came out they knew about it in the water system. She said he used the facility there for exercise and would shower afterward. I believe it was a settled case.

A friend’s neighbor also took his own life waiting in pain for VA treatment.

This is what happens when government is in charge of healthcare.

My father is now receiving aid from VA for home care. They have also offered medical services but we are keeping him on his private plan and doctors.

Really glad Pres. Trump stands by our vets with the whistle blower protection and health care choices for vets.

38. psadie says:

Sorry but firing him isn’t enough and sends the wrong message. WHY is no one being charged with a crime for he put vulnerable Vets at risk? How many died under his management? These folks and OTHERS must do prison time and I don’t want to hear any excuses!!!

39. wodiej says:

Its unconscionable this was ever allowed to happen to our veterans. This is something that can be mended fairly quickly by firing people and bringing in truly compassionate and skilled people to run things as they should be. Let’s see the Demoncrats vote down a budget with money allotted for veterans in it. They’ll be tarred and feathered.

40. hellinahandbasket says:

It would appear the VA most definitely has some ongoing employee issues.
    For instance, just recently – Employees REFUSED to hang the Official Presidential Portrait (OPP) of newly inaugurated President Trump on the walls of a VA in West Palm Beach, Florida. They then went so far as to REMOVE the OPP after other employees posted it on the wall, replacing Obama’s OPP – stating “He’s not my President”.
    Then …President Trump got-wind of the fiasco, and sent a Presidential ORDER to that particular VA, which instructed them to hang the damn OPP.
    Furthermore, for some reason, the WHouse has NOT released to the Government Print Office (GPO), the official photo, which the GPO is to then print-out, and mail to all government agencies. Why in the world the GPO insist on doing things in this archaic manner is anyone’s guess – since agencies ALL have photo-printers, or access to them, and could easily (and with cost effectiveness) print the damn portraits themselves. In my opinion, this is a clear example of obstruction by the GPO, in preventing federal agencies nationwide from hanging our President’s official photo.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Handling whistleblowers at the VA is easy. The law and system for whistleblowing is in place. Now, you need teams of auditors, just like are already out there all over the business world. Give them authority to look at everything and talk to anyone in private.

Clinically, it is fairly clear what is acceptable and what is not. Administratively there is a lot more discretion in how you administer a large healthcare enterprise, but the mission and budget are pretty clear.

Once an example is made of several corrupt VAs and what is and is not acceptable is known, the bad stuff will end.

The VAs are already familiar with a lot of audit such as Joint Commission. No big deal, nothing they shouldn’t be ready for each morning.

41. Linus_in_W.PA. says:

Seems like an Indian chap.

Giving Indians a bad name….

42. Tom says:

Why is anyone here supporting the existence of VA facilities ? Why do we want the government running medical care…for anyone ? We have loads of fine hospitals that could care for vets. I just don’t get the rationale for this, ever. Does anyone believe that non-vets don’t suffer from PTSD? or amputations? etc? No medical professional in the real world can treat these injuries ? Taxpayers having to pay for this incompetent department that will never get fixed as long as it’s part of the government is just wrong.

And further, I see no need to provide unending care for the volunteers that are our military. It might have made some kind of twisted sense when we conscripted bodies to fight wars, but we haven’t done that since 1975.

Maybe if fewer people would volunteer, we’d not be “fighting” half-assed bullshit “wars” in places like Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, the ME, etc. Cut the size of the Armed Forces and cut the foreign “adventures”. Or, let’s change the Orwellian-named Department of Defense back to the more appropriate name of the Dept. of War.

I guess it’s going to take the bankruptcy of the USA before most get that we can’t afford all of this.

43. hugofitch1 says:

A criminal getting off easy.

44. Laura Wesselmann says:

Louisiana is the most corrupt state in the country. No surprise this guy lost his overpaid government job! Maga!

45. cajost says:

While this is great news and I am thrilled with this news, I have to say that I am disappointed with all the VA bashing. Not only am I a veteran that uses the VA here in St. Louis I am also the Physician Recruiter. I receive excellent care and I have never ever had a prescription filled so fast – ever.

Please do not lump all of the VA as bad, because it is simply not true.

• shadowcole says:

I agree with you about St.Louis. My dad gets pretty good care there but he doesn’t depend solely on the VA for care so I don’t have much to judge them on. We knew someone who was going to the VA in STL, not sure if JB or downtown location, for months trying to get them to address his hoarseness, I believe he waited months to get a visit and then they wouldn’t address his problem. When he was finally diagnosed with throat cancer, he was too far gone to treat and cure.

46. Pingback: Dept. of Veterans Affairs Fires Louisiana VA Director – IOTW Report

47. dayallaxeded says:

Anyone can see that PDJT loves our military and especially our wounded warriors by his demeanor when he has any contact with them–the love, respect, and caring are immediately evident in his softening, but very respectful expressions and actions. 180* from <0bunghole, Mooch, and HELLary, whose every contact with military was fake, smirking, impatient, and derisive. I continue to believe that <0bunghole's ROE orders and negative supervision of VA were actually intended to cripple and kill our greatest patriots. Still hoping they'll find their way to a gallows or get the "apostate" treatment they so richly deserve from their beloved pisslamists.

God bless, guard, and guide PDJT and all those who are working with him to make veterans' care consistently great! I have several close friends who have volunteered and worked full time in the Shreveport VA–they and most of the staff are vets or family members of vets and do all they can to give good care. Thankfully, a huge roadblock they constantly fought against is gone.

48. yy4u says:

This, folks, is government run health care and what you can expect if/when the USA goes to a national health care system which is the intent of Democrats. The mistreatment of our veterans at the VA hospitals is nothing new. Here’s a link to testimony in 2013 by a VA doctor who was let go because she tried to practice medicine the way it was supposed to be practiced, i.e. the doctor decides what medications to give to whom.