The Commander-in-Chief personally calls both commanders of the two missile destroyers who carried out the mission in Syria to thank them for their exceptional performance on mission.  How cool is that?

MEDITERRANEAN SEA (NNS) — April 9, 2017, the commanding officers of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Ross (DDG 71) and USS Porter (DDG 78) received phone calls from President Donald J. Trump.

The president called to thank the commanding officers, Cmdr. Russell Caldwell and Cmdr. Andria Slough, and their crews for their professionalism and quick response to the tasking to conduct a cruise missile strike against Shayrat airfield in western Syria, April 7, 2017. This strike was in response to the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime.

USS Ross, commanded by Cmdr. Russell Caldwell, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, departed on its fifth forward-deployed patrol April 3, 2017, and is conducting routine patrols in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe.

Caldwell took command of Ross Nov. 12, 2015, and is scheduled to be relieved by the current executive officer, Cmdr. Brian Gallo, in a ceremony onboard the ship April 11 in port Larnaca, Cyprus.

USS Porter, commanded by Cmdr. Andria Slough, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, departed on its third forward-deployed patrol Nov. 30, 2016, and is conducting routine patrols in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe.

Slough took command of Porter Jan. 28, 2016. In February. Porter went to the Black Sea and participated in the Romanian led exercise Sea Shield. In March, Porter participated in the multilateral Allied Maritime Command anti-submarine, anti-surface warfare Exercise Dynamic Manta 2017. Also in March, Porter was awarded the 2016 Atlantic Fleet “Bloodhound” award, signifying the best ship in the fleet at anti-submarine warfare.

U.S. 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy, conducts the full spectrum of joint and naval operations, often in concert with allied, joint, and interagency partners, in order to advance U.S. national interests and security and stability in Europe and Africa.  (link)

This entry was posted in Heros, media bias, Military, President Trump, Syria. Bookmark the permalink.

155 Responses to President Trump Calls Commanding Officers of Guided Missile Destroyers USS Porter and USS Ross…

1. Sandy says:

President Trump is awesome!

2. SoCal Patriot says:

As a former Naval Officer, I have to tell you that is soooooo cool.

• SteveFrench says:

It is very cool and such a drastic change from previous years. I was an Midshipman in NROTC during the Obama years but decided to get out a year or so before I commissioned, around 2011. I just did not see any end in sight to Obama’s dismantling of the military and I had no hope that his successor would be any different.

Needless to say I regret it now. If I had known President Trump was coming…

• SoCal Patriot says:

I entered active duty in 1977 during the reign of Jimmy Carter. The military survived that presidency and will survive Obama. The similarities in how they treated the military are eerily similar. Carter brought us Reagan and Obama brought us Trump.

• hoonan says:

I was in the Navy from 98-11. The change between all 3 presidents was not that bad or noticeable since most changes enacted in the 2000s were planned early on. Don’t know what you saw from your classrooms and during your cake short summer cruises but it was mostly business as usual on the deck plates.

3. scott says:

Well done Trump, you magnificent Bastard!

4. auscitizenmom says:

I just love our POTUS. 😀

5. Mayo says:

Thank you Mr. President. Your recognition and respect for our troops is outstanding and greatly appreciated.

6. NewNonna!! says:

I LOVE it!!! I’m sure the moral of the entire crew of both destroyers went through the roof (so to speak 😉) upon hearing of their Commander-in-Chief’s call to their Commander. Good for them!

Job well done!

God bless our active and retired military personnel, from Private to Commander-in-Chief!

7. The Boss says:

President Trump is all about executional excellence. And he is also good at saying ‘thank you’.

8. yohio says:

What an awesome thing to do, so proud of our President Trump!

9. So awesome to have a hands on President I also like the job Dan Scavino is doing I have never seen the inside of AF-1 like also that The White House puts up pictures of some of its rooms for people to look at, just saw tonight they have the red room up never seen that room either.

10. The Devilbat says:

Trump beats the crap out of that miswired mental midget Obama.

11. Gil says:

Sundance, since we are talking about commanders, obama fired one after another and placed his people in many positions instead of warriors. So now our military is undersized, with okd equipment, and questionable leadership, except here, obviously. How do we root out the obama types and put warriors back in charge?http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/09/obama_purged_military_of_those_who_sought_victory.html

• Fe says:

Roll back the tape, see who Obama fired and replaced. Then do the same, fire the Obama replacements and rehire the ones he fired or find suitable America First minded people in the military. 😁😎🇺🇸

12. snailmailtrucker says:

That’s Fantastic President Trump !
    but, No ONE NEEDS TO KNOW WHAT SHIPS WERE INVOLVED IN ANY PARTICULAR
    OPERATION….AND CERTAINLY NO INDIVIDUAL MILITARY MEMBERS SHOULD BE NAMED EITHER !
    The Press is putting an Un-necessary Target on these people’s Backs !

• wizzum says:

It’s no secret, a smart school kid could find that information in a couple hours.

• R-C says:

Relax. There is nothing classified in naming the ships involved, and their commanders names are a matter of public record.

• Sayit2016 says:

I had the same thought…but the Navy released the information.

• aprilyn43 says:

@snailmamakerTrucker – Yeah .. as much as I want to see our military personnel honored, I don’t want to make them a target either.
      I’d rather it just be said that Trump called the Commanders to congratulate them on a job well done, & leave the names & identies out.
      Obama outted a Seal Team 6 group & they ended up dead. But, one always wonders if Obama had anything to do with that; He hated & degraded our military so.

13. wizzum says:

He has also out dubya’d Dubya within 100 days

14. NJF says:

Love it, and love the pride on the CMDRs faces.

Very Trumpian.

15. M33 says:

Forgive me in advance…

Cmdr. Andria Slough is a knockout!
    I do love a woman in uniform!

Absolutely love Trump’s personalness with everyone.
    He is the real deal!

16. A2 says:

Flank speed

17. One word: Leadership.

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the attack on the Syrian target (frankly, I disagree), the President’s execution has been flawless. The man is a natural leader. He inspires.

Thank God for President Trump.

18. Bree says:

Mr. President, you make me and my family so proud. We know a couple off young men in the navy and it’s great to hear the appreciation for our armed forces. Thank you.

19. wheatietoo says:

Arleigh Burke destroyers are so awesome.

In addition to having all that fire power…they can turn on a dime.

This video is well worth your time, if you haven’t seen it:

• auntiefran413 says:

At the risk of sounding like a “valley girl”, I can only say AWESOME!

• Fe says:

I’ve been on a Destroyer, my mom, and two brothers had dinner with the captain when my dad was serving in the Navy. I was maybe 9 or 10 years old. I wore a dress, and climbing down ladders or maybe it was steep stairs to get to the next level was tricky. I even remember how the ship smelled…like well oiled machinery, lol.

What I don’t remember is why we got to have dinner on the ship with the captain. I’ll have to ask my mom if she remembers.

• Sayit2016 says:

in 1989 My Dad took me aboard the USS Missouri, when it was in Long Beach, CA ( he was a Chief Petty Office- made rank in 2 years ) which is a massive battle ship.. I remember the smell of the ship— oil and remember how clean the floors were….We were crawling all over that ship— He was showing me everything..Where the boom hit him on the face etc etc He took me down to the “boiler room” and he crawled up and grabbed my hand to show me where he scratched his initials on the back side of some pipes .. DJD WAS HERE March 25, 1953. It was still there !

• squidward says:

If you’re ever in Honolulu, you need to see the guys at the Missouri memorial. tell them that story. I bet if you could tell them where it is in the ship, they’ll take you down there if it isn’t an open, public viewing area. Maybe one of the docents even worked with your dad.

• Sayit2016 says:

I would love to go and see it again…I have been able to locate some of the men he served with. ” Black Willie” ) one of the first blacks to serve in the navy, “Hook” his Italian buddy– ” called “Hook” on account of his nose ; ) My Dad loved being in the Navy– oh my goodness the stories he would tell … He served on both the USS Missouri and the USS Worcester. He was on board when the USS Missouri ran aground in Chesapeake Bay- “How in the hell do you ground a battleship ?????” he said. They were stranded for about 2 weeks. After several days they let them go ashore and they pretty much tore up the town ; ) Irish boy on leave–what could go wrong ? ; ) They were trying to tow it out of the sand bar, even tried to use TNT to free it. My Dad said the ocean for as far as he could see what filled with concussed fish that were on their sides stunned from the blast and it took about 30 min for them to recover and swim away. Captain William D. Brown was relieved of his duties for negligence which of course ended his career.

• CharterOakie says:

“Mighty MO.” The Japanese surrendered to MacArthur on board the USS Missouri to end WWII.

• Sayit2016 says:

Yes ! The mighty Mo ! My Dad had a 30 inch long replica and had it encased in glass. A lot oh history was made on that battleship. There is a film of the surrender from the Japanese… their faces were might grim….

• Paco Loco says:

My son and I were up at the crack of dawn and out on our Lanai in Lanikai the day the Big Mo was towed into Oahu back in the 90’s. Just as the sun rose a bit of the ocean we could see that might battleship moving west. It looked like she was under her own power even though she was being towed. An amazing sight. Later that morning when they pulled her into Pearl there was a huge party down on Ala moana beach park to celebrate her return to Pearl. GO NAVY!

• Sayit2016 says:

I bet that was a sight ! GO NAVY indeed ; )

• Nan says:

In 2013 my husband and I spent 5 days on board the USS Nimitz, on the Tiger Cruise. It was originally “Operation Tiger”, renamed the Tiger Cruise, where a crew member can sponsor 2 persons (as long as one isn’t a girl or boyfriend) for a trip from one port to another.

Our son, at the time, was a petty officer in the IT division, and sponsored us. It was an experience I will never forget. We boarded in San Diego and debarked in Everett, Washington. During those days we toured the ship’s departments, watched an air show they put on for us (have you ever seen a fighter break the sound barrier forty feet in front of you? We did.) We were able to talk with crew members about their experiences, and met, among others, a young woman who had been a waitress the year before and was now a flight deck coordinator.

We slept in the bunks that were intended for crew members (I got one in the petty officers’ section because the regular one that had been slated for me was occupied. The crew member who had been going to vacate it got in trouble in Hawaii and was denied her previously scheduled leave. LOL.)

All in all, it was the experience of a lifetime.

• Ed M says:

I took my daughter aboard the Mighty Mo when she was still berthed at PSNS in Bremerton, WA. It was the last summer for the public to visit before being towed to Hawaii. Still remember the Big Guns and those acres of teak decking. What a piece of history and glad we got to see her while she was still in town.

• Guess What…she still does!!!

• dogsmaw says:

😛

Back in my younger days, my son and I used to spend our holidays on the DDG-14 Lawrence cause the ‘FTG’ i was married to would have to pull duty. Steak&Lobster were the main entree for the families!!!

• navysquid says:

Fe…I appreciate YOUR service because when one person serves in the military ALL serve in the family. It is amazing what families go through and do while their family member serves and is deployed. Thank you!

• andi lee says:

That was really neat to watch, wheatietoo. Thanks!

• cjzak says:

Ok that was impressive. The speed machines of the ocean and they are ours. The people manning those ships must be so proud and loving every minute. How cool to be the driver–wrong term I’m sure, but I’m a civilian lol, so sorry– of that beautiful ship.

• Ken says:

They are awesome ships. Commissioned and served on one and served on three others. Not only can they turn on a dime but they can track and shoot said dime out of the sky.

20. andi lee says:

USS PORTER – CO Cmdr. Andria Slough

USS Ross – CO Cmdr. Russell J. Caldwell

21. Maquis says:

Hmmm, Rota, Spain…. Why does that sound so familiar?…

Oh, yeah! I know! That’s the base that could have had F-18s over Bengazi inside of twenty minutes!

What a small world.

So glad Zero isn’t calling the shots anymore.

22. In Az says:

My neighbor worked for the Navy, civilian. She said when Obama fraudulently won, she was constantly in trouble for being so thorough in her work. She found mistakes daily, and other people had to actually work because of it. Some fellow employees appreciated her hard work of finding mistakes and alerting everyone, others did not. She was told almost every day by one of the higher ups to remove certain information. She refused because she said that if a member of the military died because she purposely left out certain information, she would not be doing her job and she would not be able to live with the deaths. She was moved to a different department, so she quit.

I do not know exactly what she did, but some of the work had to do with ocean currents, depth for weapons discharge, submarine tracking, moving targets, and other things.

23. David says:

Dear friends, I am Israeli and I support Trump. I attach here a video of an Arab Israeli News Anchor. She is pretty popular in One of the main Israeli TV channels. This is a message to the Arab world who does nothing to stop the war in Syria. What she tells them could result in her death in Arab countries but in Israel she is free to talk. It is going viral.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Very interesting. But not knowing her politics, I can’t tell HOW she wants to stop the war – and everybody wants to stop the war on THEIR terms.

Most of the Arab world wants Assad out of power – right? So generally they back ISIS or the rebels, I thought. So is she calling on Arabs to stop opposing Assad? Or is her solution to get rid of Assad? Or to solve it diplomatically, but more quickly?

• David says:

She basically means that the Arabs countries should do things to save civilians. That means take in refugees, force Putin to replace Assad or go in militarily. She is not an Islamist.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Yeah, I think she sees that the people are basically human shields to take out Assad. But I really don’t see the Russians or pro-Assad Syrians accepting a risky solution that takes out Assad, when the people who stuck by him are fearful of becoming the victims in another Libya or Iraq.

I really don’t see an end that’s not a negotiated settlement that is OK to all the people in Syria. But it will have to be creative to get buy-in from Assad backers and Assad haters. I don’t think that a two-Syria solution should be ruled out, personally. It may be the only way. Something that lets those who don’t want to live under Assad, live out of his reach, at the very least.

• Ploni says:

No, David.

Not could . . . would.

• cjzak says:

Pretty powerful. I’ve been wondering the same thing. Where are the Arab leaders and why aren’t they taking care of the displaced Arab people instead of shipping them out to camps, to EU, to the USA or allowing them to be killed? Why aren’t they settling the conflicts in their own region? It almost seems like they want the ‘herd’ to be culled in order to grab more for themselves in the way of power and money. Maybe they know the oil profits are disappearing fast and don’t want their cushy lifestyles to change. Nawww, they wouldn’t be that awful now would they?

• David says:

Arab counties are just selfish. They wouldn’t risk their soldiers in Syria or risk taking in refugees which are basically another tribe. They should at least ban Russia for interfering and force them to back out. Without Russia Assad wouldn’t survive.

24. smiley says:

THIS is what a Commander-In-Chief looks like and acts like. 🙂
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T is a two-way street.

as compared to vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard , eating ice cream cones and flitting around on golf carts & girlie bikes, non-stop.

25. waicool says:

I noticed we’re having a parade.

26. John Franco says:

It’s been 8 years since our men and women in unform have had a Commander in Chief who actually respected them! God Bless President Trump!

27. MikeH says:

Congratulations the executioners of the attack based on lies seems appropriate. They did exactly what they were ordered to do.

Still and all, this is where I have departed from the Teump train. Make Al Qaeda Great Again is not why I supported him. I’m also surprised you don’t see McMaster’s clensing of Trump people off NSC as a threat.

• dogsmaw says:

Just remember to shut the door and not let the rest of ya in…just sayin

• smiley says:

what “attack” are you referring to, Mike ?

and, with all due respect, this article pertains to PDJT’s respect for the US Navy and their professionalism…and his leadership acumen, letting them know…acknowledging them.

MORALE

• MikeH says:

The missile attack by these ships were based on the big lie of CW use by Assad. There is no proof. Yes, these ship did fine and all but the larger picture is that the swamp has drained Trump and the neocons are exerting their control.

When Israel, the MSM, McCain/Graham, ISIS, Turkey, Al Qaeda and Kristol et al are singing Trump’s praises, you know Trump has made a mistake.

• smiley says:

I understand what you’re saying…and some of it, I might agree with, up to a point.

but this is MUCH more complicated and multi-faceted than the points you make…

a LOT of moving parts here.

I suspect there is an even bigger picture than the one you mention re swamp-draining.

cheers

• MikeH says:

I’ve got deep reservations regarding McMaster. They just kicked McFarland out and demoted Bannon. Follow that up by Susan Rice’s praise to McMaster.
            “Hope you will be able to choose your team, have direct reporting and daily access to POTUS, and can eliminate Strategic Initiatives Group.”—Susan Rice

I would like to see SD turn his focus into the McMaster-Rice deep state. They seem to be quite the swamp critters. Also, note that Mike Pompano was not in the group picture of Trump making the Attack decision. Word is, he was asked to leave because he challenged the orthodoxy.

• BAMAFan says:

Buh, buh, buh . . . J A R E D!

• testpointwp says:

Monday morning, 5AM is a little too early to plop a turd in the punch bowl Mike.

Quoting Newsweek, the same Newsweek that ran the Madam President cover, as your source of all things factual, is not going to win you any credibility here.

• MikeH says:

So where to begin? 5am too early for the truth that the attack was based on an AQ media story with massive credibility holes? When does truth keep to a schedule?

“…as your source for all things factual…”

You need to think about what you are saying before being foolish. Is Newsweek factually quoting McMaster on his interview with Fox or not?

28. Keln says:

The man takes his role as Commander in Chief seriously. And we Veterans will follow him to the ends of the Earth.

• MikeH says:

You don’t speak for all of us. There are many that see through this charade.

• A2 says:

Well it is parade’s end for you.

• MfM says:

Right, and you get your information from where?

• MikeH says:

Have you seen the videos of the decon team wearing dust masks and bare hands?

Have you seen the pictures of Al Qaeda inspecting the supposed weapon crater while wearing flip-flops?

How about the pictures of the kids with white foam around their mouths? Shouldn’t that foam be yellow and bloody?

Of course, all the media in that area is AQ controlled as well.

No man. You’ve been played.

• Ya’ know MikeH…There are quite a few military members on this website…and when someone writes as you do…Makes us go…HMMMMM!!!

• Southern Son says:

But, the more Important aspect of this Mike, is President Trumps
            War on Women!

Wait…What!?!?

/s

You areally Not gonna change anyone’s mind here.
            Please go back and report that.
            We. Are. MAGA!
            Without cha.

• MikeH says:

“You areally Not gonna change anyone’s mind here.”
              So you are here, commenting, yet uncritical of “the official story”? How often has CTH been counter to the MSM orthodoxy? You are now saying that you are unquestioning “facts” as presented by Al Qaeda. Really? Why?

• Southern Son says:

Unquestioning
                Facts?
                What does that mean?
                I Don’t know
                the what the President knows.
                But I Do
                Support him.
                He said he would Never give up on Us.
                He Deserves the same.
                I question your Motives. It’s
                great to have
                Concern.
                But our Military should Know that we Believe in Them, and their CIC.
                They took the Same Oath He did.
                It seems that y’all are calling him a Traitor to his Oath.
                I can’t go along with that.
                I don’t remember y’all here calling O a Traitor, when it is Obvious that he was.
                He Armed and Payed Terrorist.
                I wish y’all were half as Concerned about his actions. They stand alone as Facts.
                Start with Pallets of Money.

• MikeH says:

Unquestioning facts refers to the fact that there is no media operating in Idlib except for those friendly to Al Qaeda. That is a fact. So all of these videos and pictures come from AQ friendly sources. This should be the first red flag fact to you.

You and PDJT have been manipulated with images of dead kids. When do the propagandists present images of dead kids? When they are manipulating your feelz. Conversely, they don’t show you that when they it suits them. As an example, MSM isn’t showing the audience the picture of the Swedish 11 year old girl that was torn in half by the terrorist in the truck this weekend. Why is that? Wall to way dead kids in Idlib but not Stockholm.

• Seems like there is a new “truth” every month or so with the new media. Years ago, my Dad used to say “believe half of what you read and none of what you hear”, so the lying is nothing new.

Keep asking questions, it is healthy. Thanks for your observations. If those of us here are afraid of debate, we end up exactly where the Democrat party is now. Let them be a warning to us.

This blog is one of the few places on the Internet that doesn’t resort to personal attacks. I hope everyone continues in that vain — otherwise, things will quickly go the way of DISQUS, which would be a truly sad thing.

• Deep Blue C says:

Obviously he gets the same high-level intelligence as the president does!

• Keln says:

No, you’re right. I don’t speak for us all. But the general sentiment I get from all of the veterans I know is, they’d fight again for a CinC like President Trump, if it means making America great again. So, let’s just go with “most” veterans then.

29. bullnuke says:

Haven’t heard the place Rota, Spain since the 70’s. The boomer subs operated out of there, as well as Holy Loch, Scotland.
    Well done, sir. The military needs a strong president that respects them. I know what they must be feeling. After only four years of Carter, it was pretty rough to serve. When Reagan was elected all branches were once again proud to serve. I remember that pay raise we got in 1980. It was most appreciated. Again, Bravo Zulu, Mr. President!

• MikeH says:

I was on the 726 when it was a boomer. Nice to see another bubblehead.

• Loved Rota…Great stop-over spot before going to the desert…And the food…piaya…El Yummo and afterwards an expresso’…

• James W Crawford says:

Now our boomers are based in the US, Peuget Sound and Georgia IIRC. This is a great advantage of the Trident 2 missile that has the range of an ICBM. This eliminates the justification of entering into entangling alliances to secure forward bases in foreign countries.

Trident armed subs can also use much more remote patrol areas where they are less likely to encounter an adversary’s antisubmarine forces. Given the fact that the Trident boats are far noisier than the new Virgina class, this enhances their survivability.

30. Craig W. Gordon says:

Check out Trumps ‘snack basket’ in that pic above in AF1 on his desk. Tolbers chocolate, apple pies, and Lays Chips. He has good taste.

Congrats to our service members!

31. daughnworks247 says:

Tears in my eyes.
    My grandfather was a Chief Petty Officer out of Pensacola and for those who don’t know, Pensacola bleeds NAVY!!!!!!! I still wear his lapel pins on suits.
    So proud.
    And a red-headed Commander Adrian!!!!!!! Wow, unexpected pleasure.

• daughnworks247 says:

Oops, *Andria*. Sorry about that one.
      Godspeed to the USS Carl Vinson on their way to the Korean Peninsula!!!!
      Navy is kicking buttocks!!!!!!

32. Joshua Chamberlain says:

Delusional . . .

33. C. Lowell says:

What about the military lawyers who persecute Christians?

Isn’t DJT going to call and congratulate them like Obama did?

34. James W Crawford says:

Commander Slough looks rather attractive.

• Ken says:

Never got to serve under a female CO. My last Disbursing Officer was whip smart and a good Division Officer. She was also quite the knockout.

35. barton2016 says:

Nice shot, guys!

36. Kelly says:

Reason 109809840980980809875.5 of why I love President Donald J. Trump

37. SafeSpace says:

Somehow, I cannot imagine King Putt treating military leaders with that kind of class and respect when HE was their CinC. Nope, he prolly would have hidden behind ValJarrett’s skirts, waiting to see which way the popular wind was blowing, before deciding whether to take 100% credit for the action, or blame it on “dumb thinking” from an underling.

38. navysquid says:

Bravo Zulu Shipmates!!

39. James W Crawford says:

Just a bit of history about a Fletcher Class Destroyer that also bore the name USS Ross.

The USS Ross was the only USN ship to survive hitting two mines.

40. William says:

Happy to see that Trump is acting against aggressive use of chemical attacks rather than simply offer a politically correct speech. Also, I’m happy he called the CO of the USS Porter, Andria Slough. My granddaughter is now in her final weeks at US Naval Academy, Annapolis (5th generation to do so in our family, and our first “girl” in Navy), and it makes us happy to see President Trump call to say “Job well done!”. Good for all the young Ensigns-to-be.
    Cmdr. “Old Sea Dog” and “Papa”, Class of ’68, Viet Nam Vet