America First – Production and Manufacturing…

trump-hat-2

Interestingly, many people have referenced a 1991 (25 years old) video of Donald Trump testifying before congress – as evidence of him being tuned in to political consequences of economic activity. The entire video is well worth watching because it gives you insight into a very specific moment in time as they discuss the ‘Reagan era’ 1986 tax reform act.

For the sake of this discussion post I would like to draw your attention to a very specific exchange between Donald Trump and Representative Helen Delich Bently (R-MD).

Representative Bently takes the discussion a little off subject from real-estate and engages Mr. Trump on U.S. manufacturing. Remember this is 1991. (The video is prompted to @39:24) Watch – it’s only about two minutes:

[Related Note – During Donald Trump’s testimony before congress in this video, Senator Marco Rubio and Senator Ted Cruz were approximately 20-years-old. This understanding sets the backdrop for a generation who is disconnected from the previous economic model being discussed within the congressional committee itself.]

In this 1991 hearing, Representative Helen Bently is pointing out an ongoing erosion of U.S. manufacturing. Notice how she references current trade deals and “fair trade” versus “free trade”, sound familiar? It should.

trump hard hatWhat you will find in all of Donald Trump’s positions, is a paradigm shift he necessarily understands must take place in order to accomplish the long-term goals for the U.S. citizen/worker as it relates to “entitlements” or “structural benefits”.

All other politicians begin their policy proposals with a fundamentally divergent perception of the U.S. economy. They are working with, and retaining the outlook of, a U.S. economy based on “services”; a service-based economic model. Consequently their forecasted economic growth projections are based on ever-increasing foreign manufacturing dependency, and even more solidifying service-based economics.

While this economic path has been created by decades old U.S. policy, and is ultimately the only historical economic path now taught in school, Trump intends to change the course entirely.

Because so many shifts -policy nudges- have taken place in the past several decades, few academics and even fewer MSM observers, are able to understand how to get off this path and chart a better course.

President Trump is proposing less dependence on foreign companies for cheap goods, (the cornerstone of a service economy) and a return to a more balanced U.S. larger economic model where the manufacturing and production base can be re-established and competitive based on American entrepreneurship and innovation.

No other economy in the world innovates like the U.S.A, Trump sees this as a key advantage across all industry – including manufacturing.

The benefit of cheap overseas labor, which is considered a global market disadvantage for the U.S., is offset by utilizing innovation and energy independence.  Removing many of the burdensome regulations eliminates choking business costs and provides an offset for any import cost increases.

The third highest variable cost of goods beyond raw materials first, labor second, is energy. If the U.S. energy sector is unleashed -and fully developed- the manufacturing price of any given product will allow for global trade competition even with higher U.S. wage prices.

EXAMPLE: Currently China buys and recycles our heavy (steel) and light (aluminum) metal products (for pennies on the original manufacturing dollar) and then uses those metals to reproduce manufactured goods for sale back to the U.S. – Donald Trump is proposing we do the manufacturing ourselves with the utilization of our own resources; and we use the leverage from any sales of these raw materials in our international trade agreements.

When you combine FULL resource development (in a modern era) with with the removal of over-burdensome regulatory and compliance systems, necessarily filled with enormous bureaucratic costs, Donald Trump feels we can lower the cost of production and be globally competitive.

In essence, Trump changes the economic paradigm, and we no longer become a dependent nation relying on a service driven economy.

In addition, an unquantifiable benefit comes from investment, where the smart money play -to get increased return on investment- becomes putting capital INTO the U.S. economy, instead of purchasing foreign stocks.

With all of the above opportunities in mind, this is how we get on the pathway to rebuilding our national infrastructure. The demand for labor increases, and as a consequence so too does the U.S. wage rate which has been stagnant (or non-existent) for the past three decades.

As the wage rate increases, and as the economy expands, the governmental dependency model is reshaped and simultaneously receipts to the U.S. treasury improve. More money into the U.S Treasury and less dependence on welfare programs have a combined exponential impact. You gain a dollar, and have no need to spend a dollar. That is how the SSI and safety net programs are saved under President Trump.

When you elevate your economic thinking you begin to see that all of the “entitlements” or expenditures become more affordable with an economy that is fully functional.

As the GDP of the U.S. expands, so too does our ability to meet the growing need of the retiring U.S. worker. We stop thinking about how to best divide a limited economic pie, and begin thinking about how many more economic pies we can create.

President Donald Trump’s “America First” economic thinking is intensely generational in scope.

Simply put, we begin to….

…..Make America Great Again !

trump hard hat 2

This entry was posted in Economy, media bias, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to America First – Production and Manufacturing…

1. janc1955 says:

I worry about the work ethic in this country. Doing a hard day’s work is hard. Harder than being a perpetual student. Harder than shuffling fries at McDonald’s. Harder than being an aspiring rapper or “event promoter.” Damn sure harder than surfing mom’s or dad’s couch. I worry about this a lot as I think about bringing jobs back to this country.

• freddiel says:

When citizens are given the opportunity (minus the incentive to not participate – welfare), they will become productive.

• janc1955 says:

Makes sense. Which means we need to make sure we’re removing the “safety net” at the same time we’re ramping up the jobs market.

• I’m late to the discssion here, but wanted to point out Pres. Trump’s final five or so minutes in his CPAC Speech today. He said something like, when the economy begins ot grow again, people will get off welfare and get to have jobs, which are FUN!

This is a theme we should stress – working at a job, just about any job is a social activity that is usually fun, often rewarding, always changing even on an assembly line and highly rewarding.

In the opinion of many, hands-on jobs are way more fun and rewarding that paper pushing jobs, too! Just listen to current ads for Madden Craftsman, “You’re the kind of guy who has more pictures of things he’s built than of his girl friend.” And Grainger, “For the ones who get it done!”

Now that’s sexy!

• POTUS will have to phase out unemployment length of benefits, welfare, food stamps, etc. Put a lid on all of it. Warn the people: there are times when people need a leg up. But that’s all you should expect…a leg. Not the mind, body, soul, blood, sweat and tears of your hard-working neighbor, their first-born, etc. Get your a$$es to work and take care of your family. Like a caution sign on the road, keep reminding everybody what’s coming so they can resign themselves to and brace for getting a J O B.

• Your right, I see the last 2 decades of some lazy layabout’s There will be no 50 million on FS when President Trump is done so many jobs will come back, work or starve many will have to grow the heck up.

• abstain says:

Working with you whole body and mind making something is more interesting than paper shuffling jobs. There is usually a team to work with. People seem happier if they are working for a small company, These aspects of the new economy will come into play.

Also, there will be more choice. If you want to work with animals, the land, machines, children, that will be possible. I always wanted to work outside when I was young, so that’s what I did.

Workers will be happier, more productive, and more inventive because they will be able to choose who they work with, what they work with, where they work, and how they go about it.

• Fe says:

***horn tooting time****
        I work for a company that has branches all over the United States. I work in the corporate office shuffling papers and it’s the best job I’ve ever had. I interact with people all over the country as a Corporate Account Admin via email and phone. I’m the buffer between our customers and our branches. Every job I’ve had prior to this has prepared me completely for this demanding but very rewarding position. I’ve gotten 2 raises in my first year (my one year anniversary was Dec. 31 2016) and a generous bonus at Christmas. The people in my group are wonderful, my boss is so amazing….it’s a job that I still pinch myself frequently to make sure I’m not dreaming that it’s mine. I’m so blessed and very thankful. I had been laid off in Feb 2015 from a job I held for 8 years seeing it get offshored to Sri Lanka. I was offered 2 jobs less than a month later and picked the one that would grow my skill set. This job I held for 9 months and was absolutely miserable, but, I learned more which prepared me for my dream job…to work in a corporate office, and went thru a brutal interview which happily ended in a job offer before I walked out the door, and I was positive I had blown it. I’m good with computers, Word, Excel, running company proprietary database queries, create reports blah blah blah but most importantly I treat everybody with respect and kindness. I can’t wait to go to work every day. So, I just wanted to say that shuffling papers in an office position can be rewarding, it’s all about your perspective and what you want out of a job. I get my satisfaction dropping what I’m doing to help someone else solve a problem, and doing my best every single day. I do not have a college degree or certificate, just hard work and a “can do” attitude plus faith in the path that God set me on. 😁
        ***done tooting my horn***

• I see I should have waited to post my comment! You guys have said what I did better and more eloquently. I do agree that paper shuffling can be fun, too, because of the social and learning aspects. I’ve done it. I just liked my best jog – freelance business news reporter, and now book editor!

• gettherejustassoon says:

From my limited perspective, your worry is justified. To what degree though is unclear. I do know that I have encountered persons in construction, service industries, retail, technical, electricians, plumbers, warehousing, custodial/janitorial, housekeeping, lodging, persons in the medical field (this one is really scary), and various office positions. A common theme I’ve heard is that there are a considerable number of people who have a poor to mediocre work ethic.

Complaints range from lack of punctuality, taking too many days off, inferior workmanship, lack of motivation and initiative, and resistance to being held accountable for their work. Moreover, there is some question whether some firms and corporation are okay with this, because they don’t have to be concerned with paying high performers more and, as long as there aren’t any serious issues involved, managers and supervisors look the other way when it comes to underperformance.

There’s reason to be concerned, indeed.

• Aparition42 says:

Society as a whole has become complacent because our basic needs are so thoroughly met. This is the biggest flaw in the minimum wage argument, even bigger than the inflation issue. Different individuals have different concepts of what is or isn’t “enough”. Only a very few have the drive to give %110 all the way to the top. Most will rise to an acceptable level of mediocrity and stay there.

Heck, I’m practically there myself. When I was a young man with a baby to feed, and I was coming up $25 short every paycheck, I worked my rear-end off to get promotions. Now that I’m earning so much that I’m capable of having nice things and saving for retirement, I honestly don’t feel that drive that I used to. I’d rather have an extra hour with my kids before they move out than put in an extra hour at work in hopes of making the next pay grade. People with fewer bills and responsibilities than I have (which would include any single and childless individuals) could have even more nice things than I have with a lower income.

Simply put, hard work is born of hunger. People at the bottom aren’t supposed to have a “living wage”, and people in the middle aren’t supposed to have all of their wants met. The fact is, a workforce that isn’t overly concerned with putting in extra hours or above average performance is the epitome of “first world problems”. The strange thing is, this could normally only happen in a very low unemployment economy.

Thanks to the “social safety net”, unions, and a labyrinthine set of Human Resources regulations, people just aren’t scared of getting fired. To make matters worse, allowing countries with near-slave labor to sell to our country and simultaneously de-stigmatization debt and making borrowing too easy, the last generation’s luxuries are taken for granted by even lower-class youth today. Thanks to all the available government assistance, you never have to choose between food and electricity anymore, and the fact that you can get all your assistance by mail, or even over the internet means you don’t even have the social stigma of having to use food stamps in the grocery store. You just swipe a card like everyone else. We have effectively normalized a state of accepting your lot in life.

The other big factor at play though, is the lack of a realistic opportunity to have more. I don’t really care much about the next big promotion because too many other people would literally have to die young for me to have a real shot at it. How much more demoralized are the kids starting out life owing more in student loans than their grandparents paid for three-bedroom houses only to find out that there are no job openings in IT fields because they’ve all been taken by H1-B visa holders? They have been told for most of their adult lives that this is normal. That they shouldn’t expect things to get better. That they’re lucky that it isn’t even worse. They have never been shown evidence that working harder actually can result in a significantly better outcome. I think that once opportunities to actually move up in the world begin to increase, work ethic will follow suit.

• gettherejustassoon says:

I think your view is a comprehensive one and adds to an overall view of what is happening with labor and employment in this country. As an additional note, persons can become demoralized when they discover that despite their hard work it’s not reflected in their compensation. Even more, when they learn that it is comparable to what those who are just getting by in their job performance are earning.

• Aparition42 says:

Very true. There’s also a lot to be said about the changing role of college education in our country. Not too long ago, the vast majority of jobs only required a high school diploma if anything. Now the rigged and subsidized higher education system has insinuated itself into practically every viable career path. The higher demand for college leads to higher tuition, but the higher supply of college graduates leads to a lower wage for degreed employees.

The jobs that need to be done are the same low-skill jobs that high school grads used to do, but now they’re going to twenty-somethings with bachelor’s degrees that feel like they’re overqualified for their lowly position. Especially when they see that after paying their loan payments and taxes, their take-home is less than a high school dropout can get from the government as long as they check the right boxes.

• gettherejustassoon says:

Best to know what you like and enjoy. Go do it and let the chips fall where they may. There was an article some years ago that stated that many persons ought not expect to have just one career during a lifetime. Two, three, or more might be the new norm.

• Aparition42 says:

On that note, I remember reading long ago that it was in fact average to change careers about three times. It is a bit ridiculous to expect an 18 year old to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives. Personally, I have a career change coming up in five years when the Navy makes me retire and I’m still undecided about what I want to do with the rest of my life 🙂

• RICHARD CANARY says:

I hear you loud and clear, but there is a factor that will come into play — not sure how much — and that, is increased competition for jobs as more jobs in those trades open up. With more new jobs coming into those fields, the bgetter workers will get more money andd the slackers will repsond to gravity as thye slide down the pay scale.

At least that’s how I see it.

• gettherejustassoon says:

Some jobs are so defined that a new employee can, after a brief time, function nearly as well as someone who has been at it for several years. And, this is the kicker, they get paid about the same.

An additional factor impacting the labor market, more and more, is the use of AI and robotics.

• toriangirl says:

Then, there are those of us who were taught the value of work by parents who could have spoiled but didn’t, worked a real job from the day they were eligible, continue to work long and hard to be successful. And, we’ve taught our children to do the same thing. Remember, in Obama’s regime, you weren’t going to see the press reporting a productive, working youngster. It didn’t fit the narrative.

• Mickey Wasp says:

While I can empathize with your concern and there is some validity in some of the ‘next generation’ of Americans, the ones that have unrealistic views of acquiring wealth and various comforts. They will learn … just possibly not soon enough, but they will.

My chosen trade is within the electrical industry, specifically in the distribution and transmission construction from planning, engineering, re-conducting, maintenance, storm restoration, and total re-constructing of existing powerlines. It is labor intensive in the infancy of coming into the market as a ‘grunt’, apprentice, operator, and journeyman lineman, even as a Foreman one will work with various tools and equipment to complete the project. Hard work in all types of weather and terrain.

That said, to make a point. Many of the men we employ are in the age range of 18 to 24 and are given incentives to gain a CDL and be placed on the avenue to apprenticeship, which we provide, and onto Lineman, where the real money is made. While we do get some riff-raff from time-to-time, the vast majority of young men see the longer gain and complete their apprenticeships.

• Aparition42 says:

As a former aircraft electrician that lives in a tropical storm prone location, I have immense respect and gratitude for people in your line of work. I honestly think that a huge improvement could be made in the country’s overall economy if more career paths adopted the apprenticeship model rather than sticking with the failing college degree system that so many have gone to. I just wish apprenticeships weren’t so tied to labor unions in so many states.

• janc1955 says:

Thanks for the uplifting post, Mickey Wasp. 🙂

• Rock Knutne says:

That was my first thought as well but then it dawned on me. I’m 62 and still working at a labor intensive job. I don’t see retirement in my future until maybe 70. There must be plenty of men and women in this country like me or at least in my situation.

I’m betting there’s plenty of willing workers in industries that have been ‘necessarily’ shut down by progressive policies and leadership, that are not only willing but longing to get back to work.

I’m done believing anything I read or hear from a MSM or news source that doesn’t have a true Conservative basis.

• filia.aurea says:

I agree. Some snowflakes are in for a shock. But also encouraging was Thursday’s discussion about PPP’s and Vocational Tech. programs. If this can be elevated to formal apprenticeships, where first time or career change job hunters are able to learn a skill as they earn, the robots at MickyD’s won’t pose a problem for anyone,

The single most important hurdle to clear will be Quality Driven Manufacturing, and total cooperation from trade unions. CEO’s must be prepared to ease the pressure on profit in order to share the increased cost of goods with the end user. Skimping on quality to preserve profit margins will not work. Shareholders should prepare themselves for less spectacular Quarterly Reports.

• janc1955 says:

Totally agree! I’ve been thinking about this, as well. Companies and shareholders also have to come to the MAGA party.

• filia.aurea says:

Absolutely. And Sundance’s latest post on Obamacare lays out how the President is going about getting the buy-in he needs. President Trump’s knowledge and ability is truly remarkable. That will be the detractors’ downfall, underestimating his ability to transform strategic thinking into real-time solutions.

• wodiej says:

When the job market busts open like a flood, there will be plenty of us w a great work ethic to fill good paying jobs. The ones without that work ethic will get the best lesson of their life-accountabiity.

• artichoke says:

We have to start learning how, again. No time like the present to start, and yes there will be screams of pain from some.

2. FofBW says:

We need more Representatives like Bently.

3. It is time for Americans buy American produced products, this will help energize our domestic producers. Let me give just one example: Texas Jeans out of Asheboro, N.C., they manufacture 100% made in the USA jeans. I bought two pair … out standing, true to size, better than any jean I have ever worn. For gals and kiddos also. No I don’t have any money invested, I just believe in buying American when and where I can.

• P.S. to my post; reasonably priced, comparable to Wal Mart price but much better quality, purchased online at texasjeans.com

• Texian says:

Yes, buy American (but I have an issue with “Texas” jeans – they are not made in Texas). Buy Texan – even better. Try Schaefer Jeans – made in Texas. (Look for the “Go Texan” on the label for Texas made products). http://www.schaefer-ranchwear.com/

• Great companies, I’m sure. Here’s my offering from Oregon! Pedee – very cool, tiny, little town and surrounding area where everyone knows everyone! Here’s their blurb from their website:

“Welcome to Pedee, Oregon, an old logging community located along the historic Applegate-Hudson bay trail. Pedee was settled during that era of oxen & great firs and men in “tin pants” wielding hand saws and axes to produce lumber for a new nation. The first sawmill was built in 1855 on Pedee Creek, just two miles from the present day site of Pedee Jeans, where we continue a part of the “tin pants” tradition: their durability.

“The hallmark of Pedee Jeans, established in 1983, is our durability and a comfort which surpasses the old tin pants that could stand in the corner all by themselves. Our denim is American made from American grown cotton whose longer fibers give our jeans greater strength and longer wear. We cut and sew each garment individually, a system that gives us absolute control over our quality.’

A bit more expensive than the Texas jeans. No idea as to comparative quality. Pronounced: peedee. Website: http://www.pedeejeans.com

• filia.aurea says:

Great tip. Thanks. I won’t buy from Walmart or pay $175 for a pair of jeans.

• wodiej says:

Ty. No nonsense socks made in USA. Walmart sells them.

4. MaineCoon says:

For those of us who grew up in a “Made in the USA” environment remember that if productwas labeled “Made in China” it was cheap and undesirable to purchase.

USAers desire a return to Made in the USA. The rest won’t even understand the many facets of what it means to have product Made in the USA.

This entire mindset of the non-USAers carries over into ever facet of their lives – hence open the borders…no sense of pride in USA or being a USA citizen. I’m not sure anything will/can change that mindset.

5. bob says:

One problem with America First manufacturing in the cost of finished goods. It is sticker shock. A pair of New Balance made in the USA shoes is gonna set you back around $200. Similar imported shoes well under $100. I have no idea why the big differential but it is there. You would need to tax imported shoes at 115% to make up the difference.

• FofBW says:

Unions are part of the problem. They have morphed into just another political hack organization.

• marierogers says:

i shop at stores like homegoods, marshalls, tjmaxx..always find quality goods at low prices..used to do burlingtons, but no more!

• kevin says:

Bob check out sketches their made in the U.S.A.!! If I’m not mistaken they are the only footwear made here. I bought a pair of shoes about 10yrs ago for 30 to 40 bucks and still going strong (no holes,ripped,or coming apart). Love the shoes I will not buy anything else. I’m not sure that new balance is manufactured 100% here I may be wrong,worth checking out.

• Reality Wins says:

“I have no idea why the big differential but it is there.”
      E.P.A. manufacturing crushing regulations. If we required all products sold in America to adhere to the same regulations no matter where in the world they are manufactured, prices would skyrocket even for Chinese made products.

• TexasDude says:

You can get Made in the USA New Balance shoes for $75-$80. That’s 21 cents per day for at least a years worth of use. Even the expensive ones aren’t that expensive when you pur into those terms. It’s what businesses to their own capital.

There have been several case studies of Nike. They started out as just an importer of Japanese track shoes. They then contracted out to some of the same companies and/or their suppliers. I think the most recent study but manufacturing cost at about $50 with the rest of whatever markup being the result of the seller. Moreover, the alternative cost of Nike making in the US is estimated maybe around $20.

• Deb says:

You can buy a pair of New Balance shoes at Mills Fleet Farm for $65.

Honestly, the only athletic shoes I have seen that were $200 were Nike. But I’ not shopping for specialty athletic shoes either.

6. omgosh, sundance, everything you said!
    especially:
    “In addition the U.S. has a key strategic advantage with raw manufacturing materials such as: iron ore, coal, steel, precious metals and vast mineral assets which are needed in most new modern era manufacturing. Trump proposes we stop selling these valuable national assets to countries we compete against – they belong to the American people, they should be used for the benefit of American citizens. Period.”

enough of our politicians selling our natural resources to others! we sure as hell don’t gain from those transactions.

tax the people into oblivion, regulate them to kingdom come and have them pay fees on top of fees, then sell all of their possessions, belongings, the copper pipe from their homes….and we’ll just pocket that money too! 😡

• Clarioncaller says:

The Federal Government controls vast amounts of land and natural resources throughout our nation. Does anyone know if these resources are being used as collateral for the massive debt we have accumulated? Investors and lenders usually want to have some sort of ‘tangible’ asset that they can attach in the event of default.

7. Luther Thompkins says:

There is only ONE way, method, operational procedure which generates real, spendable, bankable money. Just one.

That is Value-Added Manufacturing. The essence of VAM is acquiring the raw materials to create a product. Something that didn’t exist before, or something which greatly improves upon an already extant item.

So — one uses relatively inexpensive raw materials, ie. oil, steel, iron, rock, etc. to FABRICATE, by adding LABOR, and/or a process or processes to arrive at a viable, valuable, useable, demanded finished product. Which one sells for a considerable amount greater than what one has spent to produce it. This is called Value-Added Manufacturing. It’s also a license to print money, add jobs, and provide for the general welfare.

One could, of course be one step down in the chain and supply the oil, the steel, the aluminum, the iron or the rock to SUPPLY the step-up manufacturers. Got a new extraction process? A new smelting method? A way to increase mining productivity? THIS IS ALSO VALUE ADDED MANUFACTURING.

Think about this for a minute … EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT, PROCESS, METHOD, OR SYSTEM USED TO MANUFACTURE GOODS CAN BE EITHER REPLACED WITH NEW, OR VASTLY IMPROVED. Every one. Bar none. Better, faster, smoother, less expensive, higher, deeper, lower, has been the American Manufacturer’s way since there’s been an America, and before.

A case in point, albeit a personal one: One of my companies was involved in producing parts and systems made of advanced composites. We were VERY good at what we did. We supplied as 2nd and 3rd tier vendors to any number of aircraft manufacturers in the US. Always on-time, never over budget. As I said, we were VERY good.

Well — word got out that a particular flying-machine producer was having some problems with a nifty composite airframe, and the ancillary components had to be of a unique shape to be fitted to it. It seems that someone in the biz mentioned us as the people to try to get it made. They contacted us, told us their problems, I went to see them, saw the difficulty and told them we would have a first article ready for installation and full air-frame testing in two days, give us an order for it.

They did, we delivered, they tested, we passed, and then they told us that we had to have an “Airworthy Certificate” suitable for that aircraft’s purpose. The paperwork for the first phase weighed 42 pounds!!! It would take us MONTHS to pass all that, and they needed parts for production in three weeks! It turns out that we told them to do the paperwork as their design (it was) for their inspection and cert. Whaddaya know — it worked. We got a really nice fat contract for our Value-Added Manufacturing techniques. THAT’S how it pays off.

Unfortunately, this was in 1993, when Bill Clinton decided to cancel many, many military contracts, so he could give the money to people so they could buy houses. (We all know how that turned out, don’t we?) Ours was one of them, along with about 14 others we were working on. It killed the plant. It’s closed, 140 guys on the street. In our town alone, 10,000 guys lost their jobs because of that, and God knows how many others across the country.

Think of the innovation that was lost; the expertise, the imagination, the skills. What’d we get for it?

A bunch of people who sank the USA into the deepest debt you’ve ever imagined, two wars, and two more idiot presidents who couldn’t even sharpen the pencils for the guys whose jobs they destroyed.

What will pull us out of this mess? Nothing less than Value-Added Manufacturing.

Watch, see, and learn.

8. Joan says:

I meant to type “with the hope that people will *watch ALL of the video.

9. Grace Anne says:

President Trump has remained true throughout the years. He gets it and is for us. Awesome to see this old video. MAGA is true with him and us. We are truly blessed.

10. Albertus Magnus says:

I agree with the OP but the truth is regarding this matter, our opponents are not PRIMARILY welfare, lazy people; rather it is the big corporations and those in the conservative media who enable them.

Just today, I saw on Varney and Co. (Stuart tries to take a middle and Trump-friendly approach) interviewed one of the every-day-its-a-new-day guest, who talked about how the GOP was opposed to the border tax because it will hurt business and the consumer.

No ONCE have I heard ANY guest on Varney )the other daytime hosts are worse) point out that BORDER TAXES ARE VOLUNTARY.

Make it in America. Sell it in America. Buy it in America. If you do that, NO BORDER TAX! Get it?

Additionally, the costs of providing unemployment, food stamps, Medicaid and TANF all carried 100% by the TAXPAYERS who have jobs…NOT the corporations that sell us out and leave our fellow Americans without decent jobs to get.

Just telling you that is isn’t the Dems, its not the people on welfare it is the CORPORATE leaders who sell out Americans and their enablers the Chamber, the GOPe and their friends in the CONSERVATIVE press.

• Ba da BOOM. You’ve got a WINNER.

• amanda4321 says:

Thought this excerpt from a Paul Craig Roberts article (http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2017/01/25/demise-left-paul-craig-roberts/) was interesting b/c he suggests it was ultimately the banks/Wall Street that told US manufacturing to move overseas:

“The other avenue is the offshoring of American jobs to which Donald Trump is strongly opposed. Here is what happened:

Wall Street told US manufacturers to move their production to China in order to increase profits from lower labor and regulatory costs, or Wall Street would finance takeovers of the companies, and the new owners would raise the firms’ profitability by moving production offshore. Large retailers, such as Walmart, ordered suppliers “to meet the Chinese price.”

When the jobs were in the US, most of the gains in productivity went to labor. Therefore, real median family incomes rose through time, and the consumer purchasing power this income growth provided drove the US economy to success for ever more people.

When the jobs were moved to Asia, the growth in real median US family incomes stopped and declined. The large excess supplies of labor and lower cost of living in Asia meant that Asian workers did not have to be paid in wages the value of their contribution to output. The difference between the US wage and Asian wage was large and went into corporate profits, thus driving up executives’ “performance bonuses” and capital gains (rising stock prices from higher profits) for shareholders. In my book, The Failure of Laissez Faire Capitalism published in 2013, I was able to calculate that based on current information at that time, every 1,000 manufacturing jobs moved to China resulted in a labor cost saving for the US company of $32,000 per hour. These hourly savings did not translate into lower prices for US consumers of the offshored production. The labor cost savings translated directly into the incomes of the executives and shareholders.

Thus, jobs offshoring permitted the productivity gains to be monopolized by corporate owners and executives.”

• amanda4321 says:

https://riggedgame.blog/2012/12/19/a-prophetic-voice-from-the-past/ (from 1994)

Sir James Goldsmith, An Unlikely Defender of the Common Man
      “The economy is there to serve the fundamental needs of society, which are prosperity, stability and contentment… If you have a situation whereby the economy grows but you create poverty and unemployment and you destabilise society, you’re in trouble.”

Goldsmith laid out in simple terms the dangers of what he saw as unfettered globalisation, warning of the perils of NAFTA, GATT and the merging of sovereign European nations into the EU. He predicted that the only possible beneficiaries of unbridled global free trade would be the major multinational corporations who would have free rein to roam the globe in pursuit of the cheapest labor:

“The top 100 companies account for one-third of all foreign direct investment. Now, how do they operate? They’re no longer linked to the United States or to France or to Britain. They operate by farming out their production to whatever country produces most cheaply, where they can get the biggest return on capital and pay the lowest part to labour.”…

Unfortunately, Goldsmith’s warnings went unheeded by most of the world’s economists and policy makers, as laments the U.S. economist and former Assistant Treasury Secretary Paul Craig Roberts:

“Sir James called it correct, as did Roger Milliken. They predicted that the working and middle classes in the US and Europe would be ruined by the greed of Wall Street and corporations, who would boost corporate earnings by replacing their domestic work forces with foreign labor, which could be paid a fraction of labor’s productivity as a result of the foreign country’s low living standard and large excess supply of labor. Anytime there is an excess supply of labor, or the ability of corporations to pay labor less than its productivity, the corporations bank the difference, share prices rise, and Wall Street and shareholders are happy.”

Free Trade: Sir James Goldsmith US Senate Speech Nov. 15 1994 Part 1 of 3

11. Pam says:

Our president didn’t get to where he is now by being stupid. He’s a brilliant businessman. What Sundance said in the write up above, Trump understands all of that. This is why we saw him put so many businessmen and women into positions in the cabinet. You can’t go wrong with an America first approach.

12. Atticus says:

A nation that doesn’t make”stuff” cannot remain a nation for long.
    We can’t survive on service sector jobs.
    Manufacturing is paramount to a healthy economy.

13. Pam says:

14. Clarioncaller says:

Trump better hurry and ramp up our Vo-tech schools because machinists and tool/die makers are in short supply.

15. The exchange between DJT and Rep. Bently is good; the exchange immediately following, with Rep. Jim Hayes, is worth sticking around for as well.

16. kimosaabe says:

17. I think instead of sending the your children to college to become snowflakes, we should consider trade schools again for job training. Make it mandatory in HS. I did 3 hours a day of Skills Center classes. Was able to get a administrative job right out of HS because I had the skills.

18. Scotty19541 says:

Posting this on multiple threads here at CTH because I think we all need to see it! Hoo-rah!!

19. Reena says:

I read Scott Adams blog the other day and he was advocating for free education for African-Americans giving the argument that all education should be free, but it can’t be rolled out at once and so the best alternative would be to put under-privileged class there first. (Now hold on, I promise this is relevant.) Throughout the entire post, I kept thinking – hey when did the American dream become something that wasn’t EARNED? And then it hit me, this sense of entitlement has permeated nearly every corner of the idea of the American dream so much so that everyone nods when such an argument is presented as perfectly valid. This indoctrination of a large group’s perception must be cured.

20. Luther Thompkins says:

Production — EEEEW!!! Factories — UUUUggghhhh!!! Dirty, nasty, loud, smelly, crowded, who would want to work THERE????

Does making $60,000.00 a year, plus insurance, 401K, tickle your fancy? Right out of high school?

If you learn basic machine shop practice and are good with math, it’s yours.

Does making $100,000.00 a year stir some interest? Welding is a really good place to be. If you get all-position certified, and look around a bit, you can have it! Add a Nuclear Certification and a Stainless Steel and Pressure Vessel Cert, you’re going to earn a LOT more than that! Wanna work outside? Pipeline welders are highly paid, and they travel all over the world — all expenses paid. So do riggers and high-steel guys.

Learn to program and operate CNC machining centers, and you’re over $100,000.00 a year.

Good with your hands and spatial relationships? Machine assembly, complicated, brain-stretching, challenging work –$70 –90,000. In aircraft and military electronics assembly it’s even more.

Powder-coating operator lead-man $50,000.00.

Yeah –FACTORY work. This ain’t line-grunt work (although THAT pay ain’t bad either).

These are just SOME of the opportunities.

Why sit around sipping expensive coffee while wearing your man-bun and trying to grow a beard, when you could actually SAVE real money, for a real future!!

Not to mention HVAC, plumbing (ever see a poor plumber?), home repair services, jeepers creepers the list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on.

And all you’ve gotta do is do your job. No reports, no dreaded meetings, no foolishness from some dummy who has no idea what’s going on. You are a REAL professional. You KNOW your job, and you get paid really well for doing it.

Production? Factory work? HELL, YEAH we’ll do factory work!!!

• IMO, the end of the high school day should be extended 30 minutes to expose kids to these and other jobs. They understand opportunities, qualifications and pay scales. They go home with this on their minds to discuss with friends and family.

Alternative: Cafeteria videos during lunch hour.

• Willy says:

Every time you have to wait for a train at a crossing, figure that the crew running it is making more than you do… unless you’re a lawyer…

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

I have a good friend who is a plumber. He was once up to his armpits in stinky stuff from my sewer line. I asked him, “How can you stand to do that job every day?” He just smiled and told me , “It smells like money to me”!

21. MVW says:

There were lignite coal burning power plants out west located right at the mine, but they were shutdown by Obama. When the plants were shut down, the aluminum plants shutdown because of the cost of electricity. Got it?

You can’t magic the power plants to reopen and the aluminum plants to reopen. This is not like turning on a light switch. The investments are long term and 8 years minus the time to reopen and restart is not long enough to justify the investment.

Reversal of damage to infrastructure and manufacturing of heavy industry is hard to do with the insanity of Libtard Globalists hovering.

I have suggested here the push for ‘dark horse’ (cheap, quick to commercial) fusion projects such as Tri Alpha, General Fusion, or EMC2 (a canceled Navy project canceled right after their containment breakthrough – $30 million to finish not the $billions thrown at ITER).

We have non technical people in decision making positions or bureaucrats who can’t tell a good investment vs a scam. Hence we are stuck with boondoggles like ITER. And lost dreams of the America of the past, and get rich software businesses easy to evaporate and vanish with the next company.

• MVW says:

I saw no-one in the room with Trump today who would have a clue as to what I just said above. $Trillions are at stake and the flow on $10’s of trillions.

You have to leap. Solar does not work at night. These heavy industry plants don’t start and stop with the sun.

Libtards are broken fools. Lawyers and accountants are not leaders. Oil is not cheap enough. Coal is too risky politically for new longterm investing.

We need a leap. It is staring at us. We need someone to tell Trump, but I have not seen such a person in his meetings. Sad.

• artichoke says:

I’m all in favor of fusion if we can get it working. I could read and understand the state of the art, but I am not currently up to speed on it.

I’ve heard that Obama intentionally sabotaged fusion projects, in favor of his ridiculous solar dream. He was never in favor of US industrialization and wanted to kneecap it in every possible way.

But coal fired power plants are pretty simple, and so are aluminum smelters. Anyway I hope we can get that stuff back. I don’t want Obama to win and achieve his “legacy” goal of shutting that stuff down permanently. Even if we’re going to implement a fusion technology, it will take years to get online and iron out whatever kinks come up.

22. Why not replace Welfare with JobFare Accounts?
    • Your JA can be invested like an IRA to accrue TAX-FREE INCOME and can be withdrawn in full at SSA Retirement age
    • Your JA is your only source of “welfare” unless you become “DISABLED”
    • Government credits your JA with a ONE-TIME Job-Hunting Stipend of $2,000 upon High School GRADUATION
    • Once employed, Unemployment Insurance (with premiums based on YOUR employment history) is deducted from YOUR paycheck or business income and credited to your JA
    • You can tap your JA only ONCE ANNUALLY for an unemployment “event”, up to a maximum of $2,000 monthly for the number of months equal to the number of years of CONTINUOUS EMPLOYMENT prior to that “event”

Impact of JobFare Accounts: Work Ethic, Self-Reliance & Investor Self-Education
    • Citizens will take whatever jobs they qualify for and tale responsibility for building skills that employers will pay for
    • Citizens will work whenever possible to conserve and increase this tax-free “investment in their future”
    • Citizens will learn to invest to grow their JA, educating themselves on capitalism, business performance and industry competition

• Advantages of JobFare Accounts:
      • Employees would have a source of Job-Transition Funds in the event they wanted to seek a better job or needed to move to a new location to secure one
      • Employees would have an incentive to keep their jobs to minimize their “personalized” Unemployment Insurance Rates
      • Employers can take a chance on people with imperfect backgrounds because Unemployment Insurance would be based on the Employee, not the Employer

• Yes, there must be a more updated way, such as yours, to deal with the masses who ar unemployed…some of whom are happy with that status. It should not be so comfortable.

23. Jeffrey Coley says:

Manufacturing industry has a long “tail” – the supply chain that supports it, Suppliers, and suppliers to suppliers, and all the logistics associated with that economic activity.

Energy and infrastructure are two sectors that act as multipliers and enable efficiency and productivity.

Those three – manufacturing industry, infrastructure, and energy – are the pillars of a prosperous economy.

Donald Trump knows this. That’s why “Make America Great Again” isn’t just a slogan – it’s a creed.

God bless President Trump and God bless America!

24. nyetneetot says:

I would like to personally request resuming the manufacture of light bulbs in the US. I bought a case from Mexico before the import ban and they SUCK!

25. amanda4321 says:

“REMINDER – One of the larger hurdles President Trump faces is a need to re-educate an entire generation on a fundamentally new vision of the U.S. economy. A return to a Pro-Main Street, goods-based, manufacturing, technology, innovation and industry driven economic model.”

I totally agree w/what you are saying here on having to educate this generation on how the economy used to work when manufacturing was here. The MSM deliberately never talks about this–all we ever here now is how everyone must go to college (and get heavily in debt to the banksters) in order to have a job. But back when we used to make stuff here, people could actually earn a good living at a factory and and raise a family with their earnings. My grandfather was an immigrant from Czechoslovakia and he never went to college. He lived in Bridgeport CT worked at GE as a tool and die maker and was able to take care of his wife and three kids and buy a home.

• artichoke says:

A lot of engineers went to work as technicians and attended college at night to get their degrees. Nobody does that any more. We just bring in engineers from India, China etc.

26. artichoke says:

Notice that this video is about problems in the 1986 “tax reform”. Who was the President in 1986? “Morning again in America” Ronald Reagan, who did a hell of a lot of damage. Who is supporting Trump’s ideas here mostly? Democrats.

That said, Trump was right then and it’s still right now. I suspect Reagan was a sort of communist-moslem infiltrator. Remember he got in via the “October surprise” secret deal with the Ayatollah, and he did the last amnesty of illegals, and he fired the highly skilled air traffic controllers as his chosen whipping boys of unionism.