President Trump Makes Unannounced Trip To Dover To Honor Fallen Navy SEAL

President Donald Trump made an unscheduled and unannounced trip to Dover Air Base to honor fallen Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens.  Owens was the first military casualty since President Trump was sworn into office.

President Donald Trump follows his daughter Ivanka to board Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

President Trump’s trip to Delaware’s Dover Air Base was shrouded in secrecy. It was not on the president’s daily schedule. A small group of journalists traveled with Trump on the condition that the visit was not reported until his arrival. He was joined by his daughter, Ivanka.

Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens, 36, of Peoria, Ill was killed during a raid on an al-Qaeda camp in Yemen on Saturday.  Owens’ family is said to have asked that his return be kept private.

navy-seal-dover-1A recipient of two bronze stars, a Joint Service Commendation and an Afghanistan Campaign Medal, among others, Owens joined the Navy in 1998 and received his special warfare training in Coronado, California.

In a statement following his death, the Navy Special Command called Owens a “devoted father, a true professional and a wonderful husband.”

Trump spoke with the grieving family over the phone offering his “sincerest condolences” to Owens’ wife, his father and their three children, according to White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer on Tuesday.  Owens was also praised by Secretary of Defense James Mattis.

“Ryan gave his full measure for our nation, and in performing his duty, he upheld the noblest standard of military service,” Mattis said in a statement. “The United States would not long exist were it not for the selfless commitment of such warriors.”  (AP Release)

soldier-praying

This entry was posted in Heros, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

227 Responses to President Trump Makes Unannounced Trip To Dover To Honor Fallen Navy SEAL

1. Papoose says:

With gratitude, Rest in Eternal, Heavenly Peace, Chief Petty Officer Ryan Owens and God’s Blessings to your Family, Friends and Fellow Military Heroes for Comfort and Peace in the Days ahead.

Prayers for President Trump…

• CDuran says:

So sad. Brings tears. So many souls died to keep our freedoms. And we have to deal with these cry baby A$$ holes and nonsense protests. I am scared for our nation. The good are dying to keep these morons in our homeland safe. We need to get out of these third world nations and defend our country. These are deaths senseless. Clean up our educational system to teach kids abut our history. Don’t like the agenda then LEAVE.

• All American Snowflake says:

I am ashamed of the vulgar, silly Ashley Judd playacting “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” with her phony, over-emphasized Southern accent. If I have to listen to that silly woman hypocrite again I’ll throw-up.

“For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” ~ 2 Timothy 3:6-7

• honor78 says:

Thank God for heroes like Ryan Owens. Such a courageous young man and a true patriot. Nice to see President Trump express his gratitude for all of us. So sorry for his family. There is a special place in heaven for his soul. May he rest in peace.

• eksothen says:

Rest In Peace.

• nwtex says:

Oh, boy.Two comments in and tears are rolling down cheeks. The video left me breathless then Papoose now you. Such tenderness. thank you.

2. Preppin247 says:

Ad an ex marine who was stationed in socal our company had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Coronado doing simulated Seal training. Not ashamed to say it kicked our butts. The Navy Seals are some bad ass mofos. America’s best and brightest. RIP Mr Owen.

3. mdaush says:

Prayers going up for him, his family.

4. Bonitabaycane says:

Our President loves this country, its people, and the military that keeps us free. God Bless you Mr. President!

5. In AZ says:

Condolences to the family of Navy Seal Ryan Owens.
    A true hero

6. maiingankwe says:

I can’t bite my tongue any longer, I have to say this.

Navy SEALs is an acronym, and must be capitalized. It kills me every time I see it written as an animal, a seal. They are not seals. The acronym stands for SEa, Air, and Land. SEAL.

I know so many of you are true patriots and great supporters of our military, you’re comments are touching and can bring tears to ones eyes knowing there is so much love and support for our Fallen and their families.

I know the ones here and elsewhere do not mean any disrespect whatsoever, so please show our Navy SEALs the respect they deserve and spell their name correctly. If you see others making the same mistake, gently explain to them their error.

God Bless,
    Ma’iingankwe

• BebeTarget says:

Thank you for your gentle correction. It had to be done. Beautiful, heartfelt and touching messages from all.

• MaineCoon says:

Thank you. I need to remember that out of respect for all SEALS.

• Jimmy Jack says:

Excellent point. Also, it should always read “former Marine” NOT ex Marine.

• Fe says:

I remember reading your post about this elsewhere and with that in mind I remembered to capitalize SEAL in my initial post. It is important to get it right. 🙂 Thank you Ma’iingankwe.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Fe, your comment warmed my heart knowing someone listened. The last time I had mentioned it someone thought to tell me to ‘lighten up’ like it was no big deal if their name was spelled correctly or not.

I decided not to reply because I couldn’t think of anything nice to say, so I followed my Dad’s advice and didn’t say anything at all.

I know there are SEALs who appreciate your change. Thank you.

• Fe says:

Awww, sometimes people need to just take a breath, and put themselves in the other person’s shoes before responding. It was very clear that this is important to you, so it’s important to me. hugs and go go Navy SEALs! Oh yes, almost forgot, my mom used to give me the same advice it stuck!

• Ken says:

Exactly Ma’iingankwe these brave men are not some animal. Nothing against seals as they’re entertaining when I watch Animal Planet but the Navy SEALs are totally different. They are the elite in the Special Forces community and finally we have a President and Vice President who gets that.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Ken, and you even spelled my name right, which is exceedingly rare, so I really appreciate that. Hmm… maybe there is a correlation there? Nah. I’m used to it, but when I did see it right, a yuuge smile came on me. I think I’m going to use that smile for the rest of the day, so thank you! 😁

7. Ploni says:

“Owens was the first military casualty since President Trump was sworn into office.”

No! Please G-d, the last!

• Keln says:

Sadly, he won’t be the last. But at least those who fall in the coming years will be doing so for a very good reason, and with full support and backing of their Commander in Chief using every resource possible to aid them.

• M33 says:

And let’s hope the DailyMail stops with their “botched” BS headlines.
        Sick to demean this person’s sacrifice in order to take a false-info swipe at Trump.

8. starfcker says:

I don’t get the sentiments. Mixed feelings? On the other thread someone said Ivanka was overdressed. It looked quite appropriate to me. Well done sir.

• georgiafl says:

Definitely NOT over-dressed. Very respectfully attired.

• 4bleu says:

that was someone trolling. ignore.
      This was a good thing, in all ways.

• racerxx says:

Ivanka in black, hair up. Very appropriate. This was also likely on short notice too. Very big deal PRESIDENT TRUMP and Ivanka making an appearance. I’m sure the Teams guys.. the entire military are appreciative. So happy to have a class act back in the White House.

Sad day though. Fair winds and following seas to CPO Owens. Godspeed.

• remuda2016 says:

Roger all that above. And we here in the Treehouse are privileged to have the ability to witness (Thanks, Sundance), the most important, gracious, profoundly respectful Presidency in a long time…within the good company of the Bushes, Reagan, JFK, Truman, Abe…back to a time, as JFK put it:

“I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”

• honor78 says:

Yes in just a very short time President Trump is proving to be a wonderful president. I knew he would be.
          Thanks Sundance for making us aware of this, the nasty msm won’t.

• Sue in MT says:

Black, hello……overdressed?

• deborah foster says:

Ivanka looked gorgeous. The outfit was just right for a solemn ceremony. Someone out there must be jealous.

• maiingankwe says:

I was envious on how well she walked in those heels. Her back was straight, face forward, not up like stuck-up or down as without confidence, but straight ahead with gently moving her head to listen to her Father or to take notice of her surroundings.

I thought she walked with grace, and it was beautiful to see. She made me so proud in the way she was dressed as well. She showed complete class.

Was I envious? Darn skippy, she has it together. Beauty, poise, kind, gentle… was I jealous? Heck no! 100% proud of her. I am so happy she was there for this occasion, and with her gentle soul, I’m sure was a warm welcome to those family members she was going to see. A gentle salve on a painful wound is how I viewed it. President Trump couldn’t have picked any better.

• petszmom says:

it was a troll stating that, very obvious.

• grainofsalt2 says:

Overdressed? So they want to see her in shorts, sando shirts and rubber tong slippers? The family who wears that is gone. Thank goodness.

• Aparition42 says:

Given the rest of that comment I assumed it was a troll.

• Ken says:

That woman is never overdressed.

9. We NEED DJT! says:

Up , Up, and Away to show is respect for a US fallen soldier…what a man of honor he is!!! Keep it up President DJT!!!!!!!!

10. Mickey Wasp says:

While I give honors to Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens, for his service and following the orders of his superiors. I pray that President Trump does the same with CSWO Owens, as he has stated about the Angel Moms – “I will not let the death’s of their family – go in vain.”
    The war in Yemen has received little media attention. Yet it is just as brutal as the war in Syria. Blowback from the Obama Admin US policy in Yemen that supports Saudi Arabia’s war against the country’s Houthi rebels will be profound.
    There are two primary beneficiaries of the war in Yemen: arms manufacturers and the Yemeni-based branch of al-Qaeda, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
    Before the launch of the Saudi-led “Operation Decisive Storm” on March 26, 2015, AQAP was short on funds and it was locked in a battle with the Houthis that it was losing. AQAP—like all Salafi groups—considers Shi’a to be heretics.
    So why is the United States supporting a war that has laid waste to one of the world’s poorest countries and — at least indirectly — helped enable one of al-Qaeda’s most deadly and resilient franchises?

It is time for President Trump, his foreign policy advisers and heads of military agencies start a conversation with the American people and put a stop to the war in Yemen and tell the truth of the atrocities and starving taking place in Yemen.

11. jefcool64 says:

That moment when you are the president and you realize the inconvenient truth.
    Freedom isn’t free.

12. The Raven says:

THAT is the man that I voted for.

Trump knows what is truly needed and will do his best to see it through.

13. Keln says:

Fair winds and following seas Chief.

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

• Ziiggii says:

Nothing beats hearing this hymn sang in the Chapel on the campus of the Naval Academy by the Midshipman Choir! I’ll never forget hearing it for the first time there when I went on a visit as a Senior in High School trying to attend. Still to this day… the most powerful hymn any choir can sing.

• Keln says:

You know, honestly, I can’t think of one better. There are hymns I love more for various reasons, but when it comes to a choir singing them, the Navy Hymn is the best. Especially all-male. It has a very deep and powerful feeling to it when it is done that way.

14. Ohio Hayseed says:

My beloved nephew is a Green Beret, for more than 20 years. He has trained and served with SEALs, and tells me that in dealing with their mortality, special forces speak of Valhalla. In that tradition, Officer Owens, Godspeed to that meadhall, your honor and bravery well deserved.

• In honor of your nephew

• Keln says:

I love them Green Berets. Had several of them in my unit during my time in the national guard (was a military intelligence detachment of the 20th SFG…I was a 96B). Needless to say, a lot of guys in my unit weren’t too pleased at some Navy guy being a sergeant and they made sure I knew it. The actual SF-tabbed guys (Green Berets) on the other hand, welcomed me and showed themselves to be true professionals, and really stand up individuals.

They were also very dangerous men. Ones I would not want to have as an enemy. I had a buddy in Pearl Harbor when I was in the Navy who was a SEAL…and he had that same air about him. These guys see a lot, and they are the best we have. And they are a rare breed of person who willingly puts themselves through what it takes to be that good, and actually enjoys what they do. Thank God for them.

• maiingankwe says:

You’re right Ohio, I’ve heard that too. Thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten.

15. johnnyreb says:

It’s been 50 years since my Navy discharge but I still tear up whenever I hear the Navy Hymn or Taps.

• Fe says:

Me too. Navy brat here, my dad served 20 years in the Navy, mostly on Destroyer ships. He retired as a Chief, the highest rank he could go to after starting out as a seabee…not sure what they’re actually called. We’ve been stationed in Norfolk VA, Charleston, SC, Bainbridge MD (where I was born), Guantanamo Bay Cuba, and New Orleans LA.

• Keln says:

I’m also a Navy brat. My dad did 23 and retired as a Chief, Corpsman (HMC). Born in Japan, lived all over the place. It’s an interesting childhood, ain’t it?

• maiingankwe says:

Keln,
          I’m an Air Force Brat. I was born in Madrid, Spain, my brother and sister born in England. It was a great childhood looking back. However, I remember not being very happy having to move every two years, and gave my parents heck when I was seven. I regret that conversation now, and a bit ashamed. It all had to do with the friends I had made and was going to lose them too. My Mom helped me make a memory box, and we put a lot of great memories in there. I will always be greatfull for that, and I remember when times were rough in school because I spoke with a different accent I would go back toy memory box, and it always made me feel better and give me the strength to carry on.

Us Brats had it rough at times, always moving and having to make new friends. Always speaking a different language or accent. Kids were rough on us and it made most of us tougher. I would never ever have traded our experiences for the world now that I’ve grown up and have had the time to look back. They were the best years of my life.

Thank you for bringing those memories back with your question, and yes, it was an interesting childhood. The best.

• Keln says:

I’ve not been out that long, but it still wets me eyes a bit. I dunno why. I guess it’s just a really powerful song. I always think about those guys who went down in submarines when I hear it. A terrible way to go…out on the Eternal Patrol.

• Same here, been 57 years for me and still tears when colors are raised or saluted.

16. MaineCoon says:

“If You Could See Me Now”

17. Diogenes says:

God rest Chief SWO Owens. Now what I want to know is what rat fink backstabbing son of a bitch told the AQ guys he and his team were coming. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4178894/Al-Qaeda-fighters-knew-troops-coming-raid.html#ixzz4XRMFyQSs

18. Jimmy Jack says:

I read elsewhere that Ivanka attended with him. I am thankful this POTUS respects pur troops.

19. lo says:

Deepest sympathies to those who love Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens, and will now live without him.

20. Walt says:

The Mess will miss you!!! God bless your family and this country!!!

21. Rest in peace, CPO Owens, and know you have all of America’s gratitude for your sacrifice, and your family’s sacrifice.

22. BillRiser says:

FYI The plan for the raid had apparently been developed while President Obama was still in office, but had to be delayed until Sunday. But President Trump did sign off.

23. Ziiggii says:

Oora brother! You will be missed but never forgotten!

I do not doubt for a second that Trump not carry this burden for the rest of his Presidency. The CBN interview shows that he fully understands the REAL costs of the fight for freedom. I saw it the moment he walked down the steps of the Capital building on Jan 20th.

24. bpk1300 says:

Lamecherry blog has a column where it is put forth the concept that President Trump was ambushed in Yemens Operation. The column is called the same. It made my blood run cold. Someone is letting the radical Muslim terrorists know the about upcoming raids….I hope President Trump is looking into this.

• Americat says:

Yes, indeed, thank you.
      Lamecherry details it, with reference to what is commonly referred to as Extortion 17, seemingly another ambush with huge loss of SEAL lives.

25. Info Wars: AQ possibly tipped off by BO in Yemen raid. Raid planned for months by BO.

26. I am VERY proud of Trump for doing this and even more proud with the way he kept it private when it occurred. The only video was of him boarding the chopper (above) and the chopper landing from a distance. He is all about respect.

27. Joe DiDonato says:

May God Bless every service person that honors this Country with there acts of courage so that we can truly live in the Greatest Country God every created. And to the families of these hero’s know that you are not alone in your sorry or your loss for we all feel the pain as Americans when one of our worriers is taken from us. God Bless the United States of America.

28. MfM says:

Ivanka looked totally appropriate. I think the nasty comments come from wearing a coat with designer details and of course her heels.

Everyone should know that you should never wear anything above a two inch heel to such a solemn event. / sarcasm.

29. Erin says:

Can you please properly attribute the air brush painting posted with this article to its artist? His name is Marc Wolfe from Lansing, MI. Here is a link to his facebook profile, where he has much of his artwork, including this painting, posted in his photos.

30. Mckinney says:

Im wondering what catty nonsense Glenn Beck at The Blaze and others at National Review have to say about this. The one they detested has made them appear small and trite. Trump is a class act and those mental midgets better start saying so.
    Godspeed good soldier.

• Ken says:

Speaking of NRO mental midgets I saw that doofus Jonah Goldberg on Fox Business Sunday whining about Trump building the wall and how it would affect Mexico. I was like who cares you moron.