President Trump Meets With Major U.S. Automakers…

Operation Bigly continues – President Trump met early this morning with key U.S. auto manufacturers. One of the key issues discussed was regulation and eliminating bureaucracy.  The tectonic shift within the discussion as framed by GM CEO Mary Barra, was a president asking industry: what can I do to assist your growth?

President Trump opened the meeting with GM CEO Mary Barra, Ford CEO Mark Fields and Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne at the White House by saying he wants to see new auto plants built in the United States.  (Story Here)

The new Republican president vowed to cut regulations and taxes to make it more attractive for businesses to operate in the United States. He promised frequently during his election campaign to be a job-creating president and stressed that message in his inaugural speech last Friday. (link)

At the conclusion of the meeting the CEO’s came forward to the media to discuss their perspectives:

trump-tower-1

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Economy, Environmentalism, EPA, Mike pence, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

122 Responses to President Trump Meets With Major U.S. Automakers…

1. I’m almost in paralysis from all this winning. I feel like I’m having to sprint to keep up!

2. andi lee says:

President Trump said, “bigly”! LOLOL! 😂

~Oh, be still!, my heart. ❤ Love My President#45!

3. I hope Trump is thinking about German, Italian, Japanese, Korean car manufacturers.. and give our American car manufacturers a leg up on them instead of putting our car manufacturers in a box and letting the foreign car manufacturers manufacture overseas and import cheaply while our car manufacturers are being asked to manufacture here in the United States at higher costs at a disadvantage.. same applies to all other industries.. interesting to see how Trump will balance that.. he did call out German car manufacturers building in Mexico and selling here.. but still Japanese & Koreans are importing cars built in Asia by the thousands..

• SharonKinDC says:

Part of the discussion was barriers for US companies trying to sell in foreign countries. IOW, there WILL be a leveling of the playing field.

• Sam says:

Taxation and tariffs are a big part of the barriers. They need to be changed so that U.S. companies are not punished by taxes for building products here to sell here. Our tariffs are exactly backwards and encourage foreign made products to be sold here.

We don’t have to go all Smoot-Hawley with severe import penalties but the pplaying field must be leveled and rebalanced to our companies’ favor.

BTW, some Japanese auto makers have U.S. plants here.

• bob says:

Japanese manufacture and sell cars and trucks in the US. Some damn fine ones! Unfortunately there are essentially zero US made cars sold in Japan. That has got to stop. I’m sure it is on the agenda.

• True, bob – that’s the real problem. Many foreign auto makers build their cars in the Southern U.S. because those states are right-to-work and because the work force is nicer. Just my opinion. Have never lived in the South, but visited a couple of times. Was stunned at how polite everyone was.

• wheatietoo says:

If we are going to put hobbles on our own manufacturers and businesses…and we are…then we should protect them from foreign competition that does not have to operate with the same hobbles.

And by ‘hobbles’, I mean:
      — Minimum Wage
      — Employer taxes such as SocSec/Medicare
      — Unemployment taxes
      — Environmental regulations
      — Other regulations that add to cost of goods sold

Tariffs are the only way to ‘even the playing field’.

If people don’t like Tariffs…then we should take all the hobbles off of our domestic businesses, which would be the only fair thing to do.
      Otherwise, we can continue to be Unemployment Nation.

• bertdilbert says:

Yep, move social taxes away from the employer and stick them somewhere else like consumption. We are not going to export much if we burden the manufacturer with the social welfare costs built into the product.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Yes. Consumption tax. Totally gets rid of income taxes on businesses, which gives the incentives for firms to hide money offshore, or move production overseas. When a company buys materials for producing product, they pay a tax. When I buy the product, I pay the tax.

So, no more fed income taxes for me, either.

Thus I get taxed less if I save versus spend – an incentive to save.

Have life-essentials be tax-free, to address the claims of regressive taxation. Grocery-store food is tax-free, sure, make feminine hygiene products tax-free so I don’t have to hear Ashley Judd anymore, home-mortgage is tax-free, health insurance premiums are tax-free, health care is tax free and the UN’s list of “essential medicines” (except abortifacients) is tax-free.

• ZZZ says:

don’t forget the unAffordable Care Act in your list wheatie…
        btw…dh went for a heart echo – $8000 !!! with our company insurance, $1800 !!! are insurance companies trying to rake n $$$$$$ before the changes come? he canceled the procedure.

• Joel says:

The problem is fake pricing reduced to what insurance pays. Guy without insurance is expected to pay 4-5 times what insurance pays. I can see some 10-20% difference but not 5x. Might need some rational spread allowed in new medical bill.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Yes, the main ways we are not competitive is: labor costs, since foreign labor ca be treated so inhumanely; and environmental protection, since we have cleaned up our act but many other nations continue to allow frank environmental pollution.

So, my idea: we certify foreign manufacturers at a graded scale of labor practices, and a graded scale of environment practices. Our auditors do site visits and credential a foreign manufacturer at some level. The better their labor practices are, or envinromental protecitons are, the lower their tariff.

This reduces that cost inequity, and this sets the ball in their court – we are not having to be protectionist. Plus, as a side effect, we advance worker’s rights, and promote environmental protection.

• Keln says:

Fun fact: most Japanese cars sold in the US are made in the US.

Which is why I never understood Trump using his example of “the biggest ships I’ve ever seen carrying in cars from Japan”.

When it comes to auto manufacturing, the problem is more with American vehicles being built in other countries (Mexico is the big one) and shipped back here.

In fact, the most made single brand of car manufactured within the US are Toyotas. Their Camry and Sienna are #1 and #2 made in the USA cars respectively on the list by model. The Honda Odyssey comes in 4th behind the Chevy Traverse.

Toyota builds some 2,000,000 vehicles per year in 10 manufacturing plants in the US.

I’m still buying Jeeps though. 😀

• Preppin247 says:

How true.. Most people don’t know a camry is made in the U.S.A but a Dodge truck is made in Mexico. .Tear apart a G.M. and its like a UN meeting ..parts stamped Taiwan. China. Mexico. Some responsibility lies with the “U.S.” manufacturers. In my opinion the Toyota is by far a superior product.

• Keln says:

“Tear apart a GM and it’s like a UN meeting…”

lol…

• jwoop66 says:

I’ve been driving Nissans since 1998. They have all been made in Tennessee. Won’t drive government motors. Speaking of which, I liked most of what I read and heard here, but I became severely creeped out when the woman from govt motors said something about, “corporations working with government…”.

Red flags!!

• Sandra says:

I’m not disagreeing with your comment. I went hunting for numbers and came across this data from 2013. I haven’t verified it, but let’s say it’s true. 70% of all Japanese cars and trucks sold in the US in 2012 were made at US plants. In that year, these Japanese-owned “transplants” produced 3.3 million vehicles, over a third total US auto production. if 3.3 million is 70%, then 4.7 million is their total output built anywhere, and the number imported into the US (30%) is 1.4 million. That’s still a lot of vehicles though I agree with you that it’s probably not the shipments Trump saw. Let’s see Korea … also data from 2013 and unverified by me, 1.3 million Korean cars were imported into the US. We’re importing a lot of vehicles, that’s for sure. Are any Korean cars assembled in the US?

• dginga says:

GM used billions of OUR money (TARP) to build new manufacturing facilities in…CHINA! Buick and Cadillac both build models in China specifically for the U.S. market.

4. Guy Bee says:

Who was the woman reporter asking the CEO’s that stupid question about Trump challenging them. You could not hear the whole question, but it sounded like an agenda question. What do these people think they are going to gain by trying to embarrass the President or the industry leaders???

• ZurichMike says:

Rest assured, if she asked something stupid or embarrassing, she will not be invited back to the White House.

• grainofsalt2 says:

Also, the president stated that they were not suppose to ask questions. I would think that they were told beforehand that there were no questions asked, This woman did not follow direction. Was she really trying to embarrass both the president and the auto makers in addition to embarrassing herself? I did not follow Obama nor the other past presidents, but did the WH allow these many press people during meetings with CEOs? Meetings with dignitaries yes.

• andi lee says:

It sounded like, “do you have any /stories ?/ at having him tweeting at you, and sometimes, challenging you?”

• SharonKinDC says:

What a moronic reporter. Like the auto execs are going to give her a scoop or some salacious info, when they FINALLY have a POTUS who actually CARES about the health of their industry and businesses?

• Mindboggling, isn’t it?

These reporters live in an alternative universe where women demand some kind of undefined respect by demeaning themselves – in rallies funded by communists, organized by Islamists, and symbolized by hats shaped like udders and (for true lack of a better word) douchebags. This is why the press falls apart.

I like to think of it as politically based affirmative action for (mostly) whites. Our reporters are sub-par thinkers who were promoted for politically correct thinking, not sharp thinking.

There were TWO monster political and economic stories in those two statements. Ford is willing to throw its entire reputation behind backing Trump on the currency manipulation point that so many beltway and Gotham alleged brains deny. And Barra is basically saying she wants to still defend significant environmental gains that the industry has made, and will continue to make. These idiots have huge headlines if they are willing to actually listen to the news, and not merely create news from their own, sadly limited, perspectives.

• copperchief says:

THIS. So true and why I cannot listen to any MSM (including FOX) for any length of time. Investigative journalism is largely dead and reporters are nothing but lapdog propagandists that only explore the small dimensions of their fenced backyards and quiver, yap, and piss themselves when their handlers yell “Squirrel!”. The lack of discernment and common sense is astounding. Without either of those qualities, it matters very little whether your I.Q. is 150 or 70.

• Texian says:

What do you expect? She has a useless journalism degree, she knows nothing about the real world. Want an example?

University of Texas – core requirements (first and second year basic stuff). How about math – only one class is required, and you can take “African and African Diaspora Studies” to fulfill the math requirement. Sciences – uh oh two classes, hard pick for them there, maybe Bio 101 and Natural Science 101. Science requirement part 2 – one class, how about “Nutrition.” What about English? 101 and 102. The rest of the classes to fill the core curriculum are fluff.like “Theatre and Dance.”

Uh oh – now in the last two “specialty” hardcore journalism years. Required classes “Cultural Diversity in the United States” and “Global Culture,” “Ethics and Leadership,” “Independent Inquiry.” and “Quantitative Reasoning.”

“Recommended” Electives for third and fourth year Journalism Degree – now it gets weird. “Play in Early Childhood,” “Childrens Literature,” “History of Rock Music,” “Human Sexuality,” “Deviance,” “Individual Differences.”

Unbelievable.. so there you go.. you now have a “Journalism Degree,” simply pathetic..now you know..

• Horrifying. No wonder what’s happening is happening.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Gee, they used to teach you how to write a news article–which I can see (from reading the Omaha World Herald) no one does any more. Yes, “Journalism” has to teach other than print, of course, but apparently they don’t do that, either. How do these graduates get a job, with no knowledge of how the media work? It must drive prospective employers nuts.

• tommylotto says:

I received my BS from UT in the 80’s in RTF — Radio Television and Film. It was in the same School of Communication as the Journalism majors. I completed all the math and science by taking the high school AP tests. I squirted that useless degree out in less than three years. If I had not gone to laws school afterwards, I’d be unemployed and unemployable to this day.

• …and for all those writing and social studies ladies and gentlemen you instantly become an expert on global climate, weather, manufacturing, the economy, alternate energy sources, fracking, astrophysics, coal, bridges, roads, tax policies, corporate greed…and the list goes on and on…

• Bob says:

When I started a small business a few years ago, I went to the local Small Business Association’s free class on how to do a startup. It warmed my heart to see three laid-off pressitutes in the class. They looked like they had been smacked between the eyes with a hammer.

I felt sorry for them. Almost. (Which means not a damned bit.)

• MaineCoon says:

Love P45’s response, “You’re (media) not supposed to ask questions…..there’s always one.” Then media was removed from the room. Problem addressed/solved.

5. navysquid says:

The MSM is just going to continue to ratchet up the antagonism as they KNOW in their hearts that Pres Trump is going to show the world how to generate revenue and build jobs thus making Obamas 8 years and all the years of Democrat rule look impotent and pathetic. This boom coming is going to show R’s as well how to truly run a country efficiently and profitably.

Winning Indeed!

• danield49 says:

Yes, I tuned in to ABC “Nightly Protest News”. It’s Liberal, marxist, commie Democrats giving the news, spewing everything Anti-Trump. Funny to watch but sad.

6. justfactsplz says:

America took a big hit when the automobile companies left and abandoned our factories leaving so many out of work. The fact that these CEO’s are open to President Trump’s agenda here is amazing and hopeful to watch. We are witnessing the Art of the Deal every day with our new president. I so admire this man. Saying President Trump is music to my ears, a lovely symphony.

• andi lee says:

Will need more other well-paying jobs to support the overstock of new car sales flooding the market.

Am I tired of winning yet?
      President Trump, More winning, please!
      God bless America! God bless #45!

Dear Honorable Republican Congressmen & Congresswomen,

Collectively, We The People, GAVE you the House, the Senate, the Administration, the SCOTUS Seat. This is your last and final offer from us, We The People. The line has been drawn. No quarter!

Please, do burn the midnight oil to expedite the People’s business or kindly move out of the way. We have your replacements ready and waiting. Your impeding progress to ‘Make America Great Again’ has been DENIED.

We The People voted for big change, not your pocket change covered in lint. We voted for Donald J. Trump to do our bidding. Please get it together. Fall in line. Our patience is waning and our tempers are short of patience. With all due respect, this is truly your final offer.

Respectfully The Donald’s,
      Signed, Your Constituents

• thesavvyinvester says:

It wasn’t just the big three, more importantly it was their supplier base. It was a few years ago now that a journey down the main road where the GM Tech Center is, the side streets with all the businesses that were supplying them had a plethora of vacancy signs, it was like a ghost town. As one of my auto contacts noted, ITHO they could not compete with parts made in China because of their cost advantage via their not having an EPA. The number they gave was 20 to 22% and they felt a fee of that amount should be assessed on the way into the US to assure parity. Note, it wasn’t labor, energy etc, but regulations. I will go out on a limb that with the Fracking Revolution and the availability of Natural Gas it will entail for Industry will be help keep manufacturing cost down and the transportation of goods shipped with it as well.

• susiepuma says:

And, to add to your info…………….the auto parts coming from China are crap. Pure crap,…anyone ever wonder why you see so many new cars with a burned out headlight or one tail light??? Chinese crap. My car is old, really old but I refuse to buy or lease a new one. I have only replaced one headlight & that was about a year ago and one tail light which was about 15 years ago and one turn signal light. btw, it is a GM product but all American made.

• justfactsplz says:

The regulations with the EPA are going to change with President Trump. That with the Fracking Revolution and the Natural Gas is a win win situation to bringing jobs back to the USA.

7. Sandra says:

I installed a new hand shower and this one is only slightly better than the last one I installed (and deinstalled). Dang flow control. Is this a law? I have a hard time washing my long hair with these stupid low flow shower heads. I’m beginning to think maybe Trump will have time near the end of his first term to remove these absurd conditions. Low flow means I take a longer shower, I am not saving water. Imagine the companies that make the showerheads, or the other products that are forced to comply with new regulations. They have to completely retool their products. Very expensive and time consuming … and the consumers might not be happy with the result.

8. Sandra says:

Can you imagine Detroit coming back? The potential is there.

• wheatietoo says:

The question is…does Detroit deserve to be saved?

• Sandra says:

Detroit deserves to pull itself up. I see the Mayor is Mike Duggan. How is he doing, I wonder? After so many decades of corrupt leadership, I hope this guy is decent.

• He is doing pretty good. Detroit IS coming back but there are still some issues to bridge. I heard about the real estate arm of Dan Gilbert’s companies (Compuware) is looking to build a huge new skyscraper in downtown because the office and living space is 90%+ occupied right now. Just 5 years ago it was only 40% The companies are rebuilding Detroit.

Unfortunately Duggan has doubled down on being a sanctuary city so hopefully that gets dealt with pretty soon. The mental instability of the left is nauseating.

• WSB says:

I always thought it should be turned back into farmland.

• Nancy Blowski says:

Doubtful, cars are being built in the south now.

9. rsanchez1990 says:

Reporter: “James Comey?”

President: “Time for the adults to talk, kindly show yourselves out.”

10. Betty says:

I saw a short video over on zerohedge, it is kind of funny and a little off putting. But I ended up thinking: Yeah, the day will come when Donald Trump will surpass his own descriptions. In a few years the wall will be built and Mexico will by paying for it, our manufacturing is in full swing and every one who wants one will have a good job, Able to support a family and have a cabin at the lake too. I can’t wait to find out what the our pied piper President will be urging us on to. “Come on, he’ll say, lets go land on that asteroid, I heard there Uuge deposits of some biglig stuff on it. Maybe we can put a golf course on it too.

So let the Netherlands make their sort of funny little videos, Donald Trump is ours, we got him, all they can hope for is to be second.

• The netherlands and all the other non-countries of cucked Europe should look to clean up their own houses before interfering or commenting on the restoration of the anglosphere.

No more indulgences for the decadent failed states – a clear path exists to greatness, each nation should take it, or simply accept their own doom and not trouble others.

• wheatietoo says:

Meh.
      It was only sort of funny…and I stopped watching when they repeated the Big Lie about “making fun of a handicapped reporter”.
      Grrrr.

• Not watching based upon your review. Thank you.

• Ditto. Can’t learn from people like that. We have to stay ahead of the curve, and they’re not even on first base.

Trump is moving fast. Time to take a propane torch to Turtlehead’s shell and get him scuttling forward on Sessions and my E man Rick Perry.

• Betty says:

I didn’t like that either. I forgot to mention that yesterday I read somewhere that the EU had told the member states that they had to provide a “universal basic income” to every one. Obama phones forever !

I guess the contrast is what struck me.

If things go that way just compare our two futures and which would environment you rather live in and have your children inherit? With that in mind I thought the video was mildly amusing, I felt pity for them and excitement for us.

• andi lee says:

Parady laced in racial mockery, typical DNC tactics. 🖓

• susiepuma says:

What a crock…………….how about the bottom of the list? What about your drug problem? What about your muslim problem? What about your red-light district? Screw you Netherlands………………America First!!!!

11. BillRiser says:

Not only has Odama did damage to the auto industries with EPA rules and Regulations he effected the Industrial, HD Trucks and Small Engine Manufactures!!
    Example… Navistar International built a Diesel Engine to EPA specs. Then after building to that spec, EPA told them that spec was no longer valid. Then EPA started charging $2K per engine then raised it to $4K. They fortunately are still in business. But, this is how Odama generated more government funds for their radical policies!

• wheatietoo says:

And didn’t he also make GM get rid of the Hummer?

I liked the Hummers.
      Don’t have one…but I always thought they were cool.

• “Obama” (not his real name) treated the USA like it was a second world country in central or eastern Europe or an emerging nation in Africa, as though a stable republic needed to be hectored, lectured, patronised and constantly talked down to by its unqualified narcissistic tyrant as he appointed nabobs to positions of arbitrary power and ethnically cleansed areas with too high a concentration of those he hated.

It would have been a relief to just have a typical venal politician take power, but instead God blessed America, again, and sent a man working for free, tirelessly, who genuinely will make America great again, burnish her shield, sharpen her sword, unleash her thunderbolts, extend her mercy and lift up ALL of her people. ALL Americans are benefiting already from the Trump era- white, black, brown, red, green with purple spots, trans, whatever. He is a very liberal sort of conservative and he has built things of lasting value his whole life.

Trump takes over America as a caring CEO would take over a distressed asset, to make it trade out of danger, get healthy financially, then put everyone to work. He is not a slash and burn wall street criminal type.

God has truly blessed the USA and I only pray he extends the blessing to the UK, Canada, Australia and elsewhere as soon as He can.

• BillRiser says:

I agree, Odama started taking little bites from this country, then as time went on as he infiltrated this country with our enemies. The little bite turned into biting off hunks. He had every Government Agency pulling this country down. If you google EPA shuts down ___ DOJ fines ___ just input any commodity/business type in the blanks and you will be amazed.
        !! But our Prays were answered and God sent US President Trump. Thank God. !!

12. trapper says:

If you talk to the old timers they will tell you about our entry into WWII and what it looked like. On Friday you spent your time at your job making typewriters or sewing machines or whatever you made at your factory. When you showed up on Monday morning you had new blueprints and set in making machine guns or bomb sights without skipping a beat. The federal government knew who made what, where they made it, and what every plant’s capacity was for making war materiel. Transitions took place overnight.

My point? As we rebuild American manufacturing we should approach it systematically so that we include the small towns and smaller cities where former manufacturing plants sit empty. The Commerce Department should have a complete and detailed inventory of every vacant industrial building in America. They could pass that information along to companies looking to build, and let the towns know who is looking to open a new plant. Otherwise, how does a company know about thousands of available Americans and an empty 500,000 square foot building in some small town in downstate Indiana, or Illinois, or Wisconsin, or Ohio, or Michigan? Or a vacant mill in North Carolina or New Hampshire? And how do those smaller towns know who is in the market? Most of these plants made smaller stuff than cars. Toasters and washing machines and shoes.

They don’t have to go any further than disseminating information and putting everyone together, but expecting it to happen randomly will just load up the obvious big cities and further empty out the small towns as people move to the new plants in the cities.

• Your Tour Guide says:

Also can be re-upped for places for same day parts warehousing. Land costs in urban
      areas makes large buildings for parts warehousing expensive. Tied up traffic negates the
      advantages of having them located there. Go out 40-50 miles to the towns that have
      cheap land prices, suffering employment and economies. Set up distribution centers
      on the outskirts of town, near rail spurs, less heavily traveled state routes. I’m less a
      fan of having them on interstates, as locations near interstates have a bad habit of
      growing into investment areas for good old boy networks. Let’s make it for the benefit
      of the average Joe, leave the middle man out of it.

• trapper says:

“You’re arguing for Roosevelt light command economy.”

No. I am not. I am arguing for a useful service at the Commerce Department providing extensive property and demographic information to prospective manufacturers, and the inverse, nothing more.

Small town governments don’t have the manpower or budgets to effectively seek out and identify every prospective manufacturer. The same goes for the small town commercial real estate brokers who have had the listings on the vacant plants for ten years with no takers. If they had a one-stop clearing house at Commerce that could provide them with information on who is looking, and if they could enter all their information on their closed plants and the workers available, it should at least help a little. Probably one guy with a laptop could track it all, and put it all up on a searchable web site for everyone to see.

“Let’s see, we need 350,000 to 400,000 square feet, rail and interstate access, average income of $30,000, lake or river water supply, local junior college. Hit ‘search’.”

Sitting in a conference room in Washington or New York with corporate CEOs looking to open American manufacturing plants, pointing out the window across the river and telling them “there’s America, have at it,” doesn’t really get things started. This is not criticism, just a suggestion.

• trapper says:

You go back and reread my post. I am not advocating “control” of anything by the government, but a clearinghouse of information that would be made available to anyone who wanted to use it with no one forced to use it.

Real estate agents do not necessarily have that information available nationally. You can get information on a given town, or maybe county, or maybe even a state if you find the right folks to ask but at that level some are going to fall through the cracks. But go find every 200,000 square foot empty industrial building in the country and give me the list. I guarantee you that I can come up with a dozen that aren’t on it just by driving around on two-lane state highways for an afternoon, either because they are no longer listed, aren’t being actively marketed, were never listed nationally, or were turned over to some local economic development group that doesn’t have a clue what to do with it and spends all their time sending brochures to Amazon, Google, and Microsoft trying to land some of those high-tech post-industrial jobs John McCain promised everyone were out there just waiting to come to Farmer City.

The government f*****d this all up. It should at least make itself useful, and I mean MORE than just changing the tax code, eliminating regulations, and taxing imports. Do something useful. Just getting out of the way isn’t good enough. Or maybe it is, I don’t know. Just ranting. I’m still angry from watching as my hometown was murdered.

13. There is one way to avoid tariffs as well. Build your plants in that country and employ those workers and you then have free unfettered access to that market with those goods. Trump is always tweeting about this. There are many abandoned factories and plants across this country with most of the infrastructure still there. I would not be shocked to see some of these foreign companies as well as some of our own domestic companies come in and retool these plants and get them going again. These were the tombstones that Trump was talking about during his inauguration speech. If there is one good thing about our plants leaving our shores over all of these years is that if these foreign nations do retaliate against us and shut off access to their markets from our exports ( dumb move), then our manufacturers already have plants there willing to take advantage of their markets, unless they go full nuclear and kick us out totally, and then we just reciprocate. They wont do that though.

14. Laura Wesselmann says:

Trump Trump Trump USA USA USA!!!’

15. JoAnn Leichliter says:

Interesting that Barra had to work in the environmental remark, since GM (Government Motors) has to some extent been, perforce, the shill for this stuff. We would all be safer if the CAFE standards were rolled back a bit, folks.

16. Paul says:

Anco windshield wipers used to be made a few miles from my house. World class stamping and injection molding. Biggest employer in the county. Huge building, all shuttered now, weeds growing in the parking lot.

After NAFTA, first the stamping went to Mexico, then the injection molding. Local toolmakers were crushed, along with other businesses.

Now our biggest employer is a casino on a boat that can’t move.

17. Repeal the Carter-era CAFE standards, the “Gas Guzzler Tax”, and revisit the emissions standards Obama’s EPA rushed through in his fInal weeks.

18. Brian L says:

The most brilliant thing he’s doing? He’s making the donors of the Congress members want his tax plan.

19. jeans2nd says:

“”Please help us in Lordstown,” says Sheridan, a soft-spoken Midwesterner with three kids.”
    2,000 GM workers to lose jobs on Trump Inauguration Day http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/18/news/economy/donald-trump-gm-lordstown-job-cuts-ohio/index.html

Thank you for hearing us, Mr. President.

20. Lburg says:

I read the article and was struck in the head by an explosive double face palm.

First the headline screams “….environmentalism is out of control” which is sure to get some panties twisted on the other side of the aisle and then, more tellingly “The meeting was the latest sign of Trump’s uncommon degree of intervention for a U.S. president into corporate affairs…”

This, after President Trump has created and/or saved more jobs in FIVE DAYS than the former pres did in eight years and after Mr. Trump has expressed his desire to undo the negative economic intervention of the aforementioned interloper. Stunning.

So yes. Yes I did write a note to CNBc. If it’s good enough for Mr. Trump to call out the lies and prejudice, it’s good enough for me!

• Lburg says:

Should have said that I read the linked CNBC article which was linked in Sundance’s! Sorry.

• Sandra says:

Hey, at least they wrote “uncommon” instead of “disturbing”. They must be realizing that constant negative reporting makes them look bad. Every time they criticize Trump, something good happens. 🙂 I should check to see what they were saying the evening of the election when the foreign markets were tanking. Probably all gloom and doom predictions for our own markets. 🙂

21. President Obama thought it took a ‘magic wand’ to do stuff like this.
    I guess, instead, it just took someone qualified.

22. shaman says:

Trump: What can I do for you? Next : Trump: now let’s discuss what YOU can do for the American people. Negotiating @ it’s best.

23. Beniah says:

Has there ever been a president who works as hard and as smart as this one !

24. Mike diamond says:

Trump gets stuff done ! Obama was all talk, and lost in his own self !!