President-Elect Trump Selects Representative Tom Price as HHS Secretary…

Remember when candidate Donald Trump said:

…”and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump  …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”…

Remember that?  Good.  Now ask yourself: “have I lost yet”?…

No, and you won’t.

tom-price-2WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump has selected Representative Tom Price, a six-term Republican congressman from Georgia who has led opposition to the Affordable Care Act, to be secretary of health and human services, according to a transition team official.

Mr. Price, an orthopedic surgeon, has been a severe critic of the health law, saying it interferes with the ability of patients and doctors to make medical decisions.

And he says that events have borne out his warnings.  “Premiums have gone up, not down,” Mr. Price said recently. “Many Americans lost the health coverage they were told time and time again by the president that they could keep. Choices are fewer.”

An announcement of Mr. Price’s appointment is expected as soon as Tuesday, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the announcement had not been released.

Some Republicans have attacked the Affordable Care Act without proposing an alternative. Mr. Price, by contrast, has introduced bills offering a detailed, comprehensive replacement plan in every Congress since 2009, when Democrats started work on the legislation.

From his days as a Georgia state senator, Mr. Price, now 62, has been a voice for doctors, often aligned with the positions of the American Medical Association and the Medical Association of Georgia.

As secretary, Mr. Price would be responsible for a department with an annual budget of more than $1 trillion, health programs that insure more than 100 million Americans and agencies that regulate food and drugs and sponsor much of the nation’s biomedical research.  (read more)

And quit worrying about Mitt Romney…. The Romney thing, is EXACTLY what we previously shared it was.  Nothing more.

rat-finks-3trump crosses

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, media bias, Mike pence, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

252 Responses to President-Elect Trump Selects Representative Tom Price as HHS Secretary…

1. sundance says:

President Elect Donald Trump is having dinner with Mitt Romney tomorrow evening. 😀

Such a nice man Mr. Trump is. 😉

2. ROBERT PILCHMAN says:

WINNING IS FUN !!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

3. Great appointment! Winning is pretty cool, just not used to it yet. 😉

4. Dommy says:

Menu:
    crow.
    served cold.

5. emet says:

A doctor closely involved with how health care will be distributed in our nation. Gosh, why didnt anyone think of this?

• Could it be because it took common sense and patriotism?

• wolfmoon1776 says:

This is the ultimate revenge of my old doctor, who quit rather than conform to the meddling dictates of Obamacare.

• woohoowee says:

My doc quit, too. Wonder how many got out?

• julegate says:

Obamacare ruined hoe my Doctor related to her patients. She still practices medicine but is a shadow of the Doctor she was pre Obamacare. I have appointment mid December and can’t wait to ask her what she thinks.

• freddiel says:

Maybe you should save that conversation til the end of your appointment – just in case.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Exactly. The doc who took over for my old one knows how to / is willing to follow the rules. That sometimes means warning me right up front what treatments my insurance won’t cover. The old one refused to let insurance companies pre-dictate the course of treatment.

One thing which will happen, I predict, is that a lot of ailments that people nursed through Obamacare will be revealed once it’s gone. My rule has been “if I’m pretty sure it’s not cancer or heart attack, ignore”. People may decide to actually get things fixed now.

• Yep! Two qualities grossly lacking in our government these days.

• glypenblog says:

I sure hope it helps the nurses also, now they are shipping in nurses from 3rd world countries to replace us. There are so many rules and regulations, but only against the nurses and doctors. If this changes I may not have to retire, just yet.

• joshua says:

tough to scrub in in a burka.

• deanbrh says:

After hospitalization during which I never saw a Caucasian doctor, I looked up the Registry of doctors at that hospital and every single one of them had an unpronounceable mid-Eastern name. This is California where there are over 200 mosques and one of our fave traveling games is counting Caucasian drivers, very few and VERY far between. By the way, my 2-hour hospital ER-visit after a fall was $27,280.00 WITHOUT ambulance and/or doctor charges which will arrive separately. TWO HOURS, no surgery or bandages, NO problems, just assurance that my arm and hip were NOT broken.

• WSB says:

My only issue is with the AMA. Must be cleaned out, too.

• ladypenquin says:

As someone in the healthcare field, IMO, Dr. Price is an excellent choice. He has been fighting Obamacare all along – Obamacare deliberately (as it was intended to) destroyed everyone’s healthcare, no matter what plan (good or bad) that you had – all our care is being rationed, the younger folks just don’t know it yet. But middle-aged and older folks are seeing it first hand. Non-government plans have been regulated into being an Obamacare “plan.” Outcome is the same.

I despise Obamacare from a professional and personal perspective. It’s worse for us in the medical field because we understand and know what’s going on.

6. Luke_Luck says:

So what do you think, Sundance? Does Romney get ANY position (VA Director?), or does he just get to feel involved?

7. John says:

Unless I’m mistaken his bill does nothing to drive down costs. It just increases the subsidy to the industry though tax deductions. Until there are free market reforms (price transparency and competition) nothing cost wise will change. Limiting liability while it sounds good starts to shut down the only recourse for malpratice. The cost savings won’t be passed on to the consumer.

The problem with Healthcare is the patient isn’t the customer.

• ECM says:

Price transparency is probably the single biggest fix that could be implemented, but I won’t hold my breath–the public is too clueless and the pols too scared to mandate it via pre-existing laws.

• mike says:

We have a checkpoint medical system , all the little Soviet guard houses with doctors as our guards. Even if you know the answer(s), then you have to beg for approvals from insurance to doctors.

• Brenda copely says:

The medical profession is the only career that does not reward physicians for years of service and experience. The doctor who has been reputable for years gets the same payment as the doctor just graduating medical school. The doctor should be allowed to charge what he feels his experience and years serving others allows and let the patient decide if he or she wants to pay over and above the insurance allowable.

• Bob says:

Yep, this guy will be like a rocket booster to the ACA. Expect your premiums to sky rocket. It is like putting the wolf in charge of the hen house. Hopefully he is just an angry face and they can find a Japanese guy tonrun this thing.

• Guest says:

I agree. The problem with healthcare is way too many government regulations and subsidies.

• graphiclucidity says:

Break up the health monopolies and cartels, prosecutions under Sherman Anti-Trust Act if neccesary.
      Allow re-importation of pharmaceuticals.
      Allow insurance companies to compete across state lines.
      Force price listing before services rendered.

That’s just a start.

• ECM says:

It’s a good start!

• mike says:

Get rid of FDA and prescription laws. Something cheap overseas and much better, illegal here. Some technology that threatens someone’s monopoly, have to get on a plane and go elsewhere.

This happened to me with a somewhat new blood test several weeks ago and the local specialists what to use something 3x-4x more expensive and do somethings really barbaric ! F’ that. I only want to pay for competence that helps me.

• fred5678 says:

I once tested this … I went to an ER with a badly swollen ankle and asked the prices — they said they couldn’t tell me. I left.

More recently I asked what the bill would be for an outpatient procedure at a doctor’s office. They said it would depend on my insurance. I said I didn’t want to know my co-pay, but want to know what bill they would send to my insurance company. VERY reluctantly they told me.

There is no such problem when insurance companies are not involved in a 3 party masquerade.

Lasik surgery is not covered and is an open market and 2 party transaction — and CHEAP!!

• MVW says:

The problem is the industry structure itself. Pure Government regulated top down including research, monopoly.

Result, 50% of Americans have one or more chronic disease, and 25% or more have two or more chronic diseases. Treatment and drugs? Palliative, symptom control, slow degradation of health.

Education and research paid for by drug companies and government, which is controlled by heavily lobbied politicians. And ‘insurance’ is not insurance, just group buying of health services. And they make money off the top. Costs go up, they just raise price. Can’t afford it, make Government provide it and tax then subsidize.

Try to find a nonstandard cure and your provider will be warned, then license suspended, then etc.

It is for your own good, ya know.

• woohoowee says:

Good point, but the flip side of not doing something about liability is a part of why my health care costs so dang much. We went from a family physician who took care of everything, including childbirth, unless a specialist was really necessary, to:

a family physician (who does basically nothing other than coordinate the rest), ob/gyn, dermatologist, gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, and a pulmonologist.

The only medical condition is the same as it’s been all my life: Atopy. Which basically means I’m allergic to everything and have eczema, but luckily no asthma. Nothing a good old family doctor and myself can’t easily manage, but nooooooo, b/c liability, big medicine and big government say otherwise. It’s nuts.

• deplorable says:

I hope this new pick doesn’t present the same Republican slogans that the Bush administration did about healthcare. Otherwise people will be very disappointed. Bush’s failure on the healthcare issue is what drove many independents to vote for Obama.

The bottom line is the cost of healthcare in this country is outrageous. Monopolistic practices occur throughout the field – from insurers to providers.

Price transparency is needed. Price gouging needs prosecuted. More competition is needed. People should be able to purchase prescription drugs from Canada or wherever they want without breaking the law.

I’m not happy about this pick. Really hope I’m wrong.

8. willvecchio says:

Mitt Romney for Ambassador to Mexico; his ancestral home.

9. I am so happy! Life is great! Thank you GOD for giving us the election of Donald Trump! Can it get any better??? Yes, tomorrow Never Romney.

10. James23 says:

No RATS!

11. Pam says:

I’ll try to stop laughing at Sundance for a minute and say that I think Trump is very smart with the HHS pick. Tomorrow could get very interesting. 😀

12. I really, REALLY hope President Trump has a signing ceremony for the REPEAL of Obamacare.

And when he’s done, blow on his palm as if blowing a kiss to say “See that? There goes Barack Obama’s ‘signature achievement’ – gone like a puff of smoke.”

And with that Barack Obama recedes into insignificance. A historical footnote, a asterisk.

His only accomplishment: Being black.

13. sunnydaze says:

re. Romney: It’s too funny, all Trump has to do remind these GOPe how much they are despised is invite one of ’em over for a meeting.

Romney goes to dinner with Trump, the Republican -leaning media rips Romney to shreds, once again.

I hope this gets repeated as needed thru out the next 4 years, with different peeps- God knows there’s plenty of them to trot out.

14. Prothonotary Warbler says:

Nice! An actual doctor in charge of HHS! Someone who knows what it’s like to try to make a living with that particular bureaucracy breathing down his neck. I like it. Excellent choice, Mr. Trump!

Oh, by the way… I’m still not tired of winning yet!

15. I really love winning!

16. Ivehadit says:

Donald Trump is the most fun ever! Just thinking with such amusement at how many now will want to demand anything from Donald.”Please sir, can we make you happy?”
    WE LOVE YOU DONALD!!

17. millwright says:

Seems a logical choice to me ! Who better than a trained/experienced MD to evaluate our current health care system ? If he needs ” bureaucratic help ” he’s empowered to command it !

18. dilonsfo says:

I especially like that the Doctor/Congressman had his nurse with him in case there were any emergencies or such.

19. Eastwood says:

Cool! He used to be my congressman. 🙂

20. E George says:

He has been aligned with the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons not the horrible AMA which helped facilitate Obamacare. Finally a physician who practiced medicine and ran a small business who will be an advocate for patients and physicians. Hopefully, he will champion free market alternatives.

21. Sam says:

If Tom Price supports the AMA position on healthcare, it’s going to be ugly. The AMA supported the ACA (Obamacare). The patient is treated as a bystander while the principals in healthcare are large hospital groups including doctors, insurance companies and the government. Well, we will see what happens.

• woohoowee says:

Yep, bad news following AMA position, but don’t think that’s how it will go with President Trump. Looking forward to having sane health care and insurance practices and rates for the first time in decades 🙂

Some insight into your point re: AMA from a doctor:

Is the AMA Really the Voice of Physicians in the US?

by Physicians Weekly | Jun 9, 2015 | Business of Medicine, Doctor’s Voice, Hospital Medicine, Linda Girgis, Pop-Up on Article, Primary Care

-snip-

1. Perhaps the biggest example of how doctors lost their trust in the AMA is the way they are funded. With less than 20% of US doctors paying membership dues, it is apparent they secure funding from other sources. One of their biggest streams or revenue is their profits from selling billing coding, insurance, and other products. Most doctors disagree with the CPT-10 billing transformation. Yet, the AMA continues to profit hugely from selling these products despite our protests. Clearly, doctors’ opinions have been shoved under foot in their quest to drive profits.

22. woohoowee says:

Not only are we WINNING…Trump45 is back to tweeting! Life is good 🙂

23. Ron says:

Just imagine if he announced Giuliani or somebody as SOS 1 hour before Dinner with Romney and doesn’t tell him.

🙂

24. mot2grls says:

All we can do is wait and see what happens. Listened to Michael Savage for 5 minutes today. That is all I could take. He is in major meltdown mode over the possibility of Romney’s appointment as SoS. He seems to think he has been personally betrayed. For my part, I am trusting in Trump!!
    MAGA!!!

25. Toby Flenderson says:

Hey Sundance!
    Not trusting GOP leadership, what is being done to insure that Obamm can’t recess appoint Merrick Garland during the upcoming break?

26. Plain Jane says:

Anyone remember Norm from Cheers? Norm was assigned to “let go” (fire) a bunch of people at his work. He was so good at it. He would take them out to dinner and cry with the people after he broke the news to them, Pretty soon the people fired would feel sorry for Norm. Hmmm. The dinner tomorrow evening makes me wonder if Trump was a fan of Cheers. I hope so.

27. Sentient says:

Do we know whether Tom Price is (yet) on board with bullet points 5&7 from the Trump healthcare position statement https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform requiring pricing transparency (no more fake bills) and allowing pharmaceutical reimportation (so that Americans no longer have to pay more than people in other countries)? Trump ran on those positions. The issue isn’t just how to pay for the cost of healthcare, but the need to bring those costs down. Some doctors will earn less – especially if they can no longer refer patients to testing and scanning facilities in which they have ownership.

28. Kalena says:

Timely thread. My 2017 Obamacare plan has gone up 400% since 2014 and the deductible and out of pocket expense has tripled. Essentially I will have to rack up $11,000 in medical bills to get any coverage beyond 2 $30 doctor copay visits per year before this 2017 plan pays a dime.

This year I say no and I am not paying my December premium. They need to fix this. I have a modest paying job with no benefits. I will have to cross my fingers and hope I don’t get really sick before I am old enough for Medicare in 3 years.

• jello333 says:

Things were a mess and way too expensive before Obamacare. Things are even MORE of a mess, and even MORE expensive now with Obamacare. (And of course we all now know that Obamacare was never REALLY intended to make things better…. at least not for the average American.)

So what Trump says really gives me hope. Had he just said “We’ll repeal Obamacare” and left it at that, that wouldn’t be good enough in my opinion. I love that he adds “… and replace it with something much better.” Sure I’d like to have more details, but for right now I’m just willing to put my Trust in Donald and know he’ll try his very best to do what’s best for the largest number of people possible.

• Look into Healthcare Sharing Ministries which are an alternative way to cover medical bills.
      Samaritan Ministries are great.

They also are are a legal way to avoid the obamacare opt-out penalties.

29. Ron says:

I think part of it is Trump just likes watching people squirm.

In the Election, he was a little vulnerable. He didn’t have much power (except that which he had as a businessman) and was trying to do something nearly impossible. Something only 45 people in history have pulled off.

Romney had already won the nomination 4 years earlier… so on that metric, Romney had slight power over him, not that Donald would ever give him that satisfaction.

Now that things played out how they played out, a sick part of Donald wants to be around Romney, and see how Romney squirms and what he can see when he stares at his face.

Now Donald has exponentially more power than Romney… and I think he wants to bask in that a little while, hence why he has these meetings with him (and why Romney looked so humiliated after the first one).

I doubt he says anything out of line in the meetings. It’s all unspoken.

30. Tom Price, another great choice by PE Trump!

#Winning

31. freddiemacblog says:

I’m wary of humiliating Romney (& other never!Trumpers); my vote is to co’opt the leaders by giving them a stake in the new administration’s success.

Firing them if/when they go off the reserve is fine, but I don’t want that group to be able to say that they were never given a fair chance.

• PreNanny says:

They are being given a chance to apply just like everyone else.
      For a historical reference: Brits were not given a stake in the newly formed United States nor were Brit sympathizer fence sitters.
      This is about MAGA not the feeeeelings of the losers. Let them go find a job in the shite economy they made for the rest of us. There are millions of Americans that can do a better job in this admin hire them.
      The more people TRUMP appoints that I have to look up the happier I am.
      Put an end to careerist politicals.

32. Raven says:

Another thing I love about this article, they did not call it Obamacare, they called it by its name — the Affordable Care Act. The more we can remove him and all references to him the better we will be.

33. redlegleader68 says:

I’ve read all the way down to here. Let’s just say that I’m 100% on board with whatever and whomever Trump appoints to a particular position. Having said that, Tom Price is my Rep in Congress (GA-6) arriving in DCA as one of the TEA Party, clean the swamp elections previously. Since his arrival, he has successfully deposited himself in Paul Ryno’s back pocket and accomplished very little beyond being an Ortho Surgeon. Have written almost countless letters, emails and conducted many, many phone calls to his office on subjects very important to all of us.

Crickets. Form letters, autopen signed. Nothing.

District “meetings?” Staged events with prescreened questions.

So, I’m Trusting Trump to be Trump and to have had a very serious, come to Jesus meeting with Price prior to this appointment.

And, no, I’m not tired of winning!!

• joshua says:

I too worry about selected ANY of the DC critters to this administration…especially one with a trillion dollar budget….never met a doctor EVER that had ANY money sense.

• redlegleader68 says:

And this is what is being said locally about this:

FTA: As an aside, Price is close with House Speaker Paul Ryan, so his nomination would also seem to speak well of the influence Ryan and his circle will have over policy. There has of course been plenty of talk about how Trump and congressional Republicans will get along. This move doesn’t mean there will be no disagreements, but if Trump wanted to keep Ryan and his allies at arm’s length he might not have chosen Price. As a former chairman of the House’s conservative Republican Study Committee, Price can also be seen as an olive branch from Trump to movement conservatives (although Price was hardly #NeverTrump and in fact campaigned for him early and loudly).

34. India Maria says:

Beautiful….and THANK YOU. So many of our Patriotic Allies have fallen into angst and despair AFTER winning the VICTORY we so very much prayed for; AFTER SO MANY VICTORIES in the two weeks following the election — Mexico and Canada ready to renegade NAFTA, Putin calling off WW III, Bill Ford staying in Kentucky, talks with Carrier ongoing, Sessions as AG, etc, etc — many of our own allies must be so accustomed to LOSING that these Battered Conservatives are having withdrawal as we WIN, WIN, and WIN. . No worries, however. Trump will keep winning whilst the LOSING WITHDRAWAL goes COLD TURKEY!

35. joshua says:

I am ecstatic over Trump as PEOTUS…..ecstatic!
    Now is the TIME for rational expectation setting for ALL OF US over what CAN be done and how long can it take to do and what will be the unintended consequences of dramatic change….this is not a negative comment…just after the pep rally winning events and all our rally actions with our great Donald Trump, we do him NO FAVORS by overzealous expectations and demand of his new administration…….It took a LOT of Ocean to Turn the Queen Mary….huge ship….and the USA economy is a huge ship in a global ocean of mess.

Hopefully his supporters will remain faithful to the purpose and not critique his every trip to the bathroom.

36. Pam says:

37. Pam says:

• redlegleader68 says:

See my note above!

• litlbit2 says:

Paul Ryan who? He is such a scam! Typical GOPe puppet trying to weasel up.

FYI, if he and the GOPe try causing any, any carp for Pe Trump, he will learn first hand after January 20, 2017. We the folks will not tolerate his slick Willy attitude or leader games any longer! Drain the swamp!

38. amy1212 says:

I am delighted with this pick! Having met Dr. Price at several events and dinners over the years, I had the chance to sit next to him multiple times and engage him in conversations about a variety of topics. I can attest that he is sharp, inquisitive, intelligent and a down-to-earth man who believes in our Constitution. Definitely a home run by PEPOTUS DJT. WTG!

39. MNObserver says:

Not impressed with this choice. While Obamacare has been a disaster which has accelerated the cost spiral of insurance and made the problem worse, the cost curve on medical care has been ramping up for years. Simply allowing competition across state lines for insurance (which isn’t really insurance at all by definition, if you think about it) is not going to fix the real problem, and that is rampant fraud and gouging by the medical industry which is costing all of us millions of dollars a year. Many of these practices are legal through exemptions carved out by the medical industry to protect their monopolies. As long as actual medical care costs continue to increase year over year, and competition continues to be stifled, nothing is going to change really, it’s just a matter of hitting the wall at 55 MPH in a few years or 80 MPH in a couple of years. Anyone who has had to pay for medical care without insurance (or to put it more specifically, has tried to), knows the scam that these practices run on a daily basis. As in interesting exercise – try quoting a procedure with an actual price you can hold a provider to (to be generous, within a reasonable buffer, give or take) before you get the procedure done. I’ve tried for a simple suture, and even for a simple procedure it was impossible. Why? Because the medical industry thrives on the opaqueness of their market. Have you ever wondered why you can’t get a medical procedure quote online, along with reviews of surgeons, etc. like you can with virtually every single every product or service on the planet? Have you ever wondered why the US cannot buy medicines from overseas, even though all kinds of other products, from pork bellies to cars, can be purchased easily and simply? If Trump attacks this problem head on, by busting up the monopolistic practices which run rampant throughout the industry, then this will be a truly great thing. Unfortunately, picking a person who is tied to the AMA does not give me a lot of confidence. We’ll see though; I’m just a born skeptic, I guess.

• Wow MNObserver! A skeptic? Seriously?
      That was quite a diatribe.
      How about giving Dr. Price and POETUS Trump a chance?
      OR you could send your comments directly to the Trump Transition Team.
      I’m sure they’d love to hear from you.

• MNObserver says:

It wasn’t a diatribe, it was my thoughts on the pick, given his ties to the medical industry. Like I said, we’ll see. I didn’t vote for Trump the man; I voted for the vision he outlined. And when he said he wanted to drain the swamp, I don’t think he was confining his efforts just to the halls of Congress. Check out how much money the gaping maw of medical related costs eats up at an ever increasing clip at the federal, state, and local level. Inform yourself, and don’t be so quick to dismiss my concerns.

40. How is Nikki Haley’s appointment to UN ambassador a win? She is a female Mitt.

• deanbrh says:

Lots of info about Haley appointment on other threads. Bottomline, it gets her off to Siberia so her Lt. Governor who is REALLY fine takes her place and will work with his friend, Trump. Win-Win! Celebrate the genius!

• Gotcha. She’s the only appointment so far that I find problematic. But, I can’t think of a scenario in which a UN ambassador can screw things up. She must have bent the knee and kissed the ring before Trump made the offer official. I’ll have to look for a video of the two to see if she is as dazed as Mitt was after his meeting with Trump.

41. deanbrh says:

I sent a link to an interesting article to info@donaldjtrump.com and it was bounced because “that mailbox is full”. I suspect it’s been filled by protesters on the Left.! I have sent other links in the past, so I know it WAS a working address. Do you have another address?