The First Sunday Of Advent

Believe-Sign-RSFirst Sunday of Advent

Reading 1 Is 2:1-5

This is what Isaiah, son of Amoz,
saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
In days to come,
the mountain of the LORD’s house
shall be established as the highest mountain
and raised above the hills.
All nations shall stream toward it;
many peoples shall come and say:
“Come, let us climb the LORD’s mountain,
to the house of the God of Jacob,
that he may instruct us in his ways,
and we may walk in his paths.”
For from Zion shall go forth instruction,
and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between the nations,
and impose terms on many peoples.
They shall beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks;
one nation shall not raise the sword against another,
nor shall they train for war again.
O house of Jacob, come,
let us walk in the light of the Lord!

advent wreathThe word advent is derived from the Latin word for coming. During this season churches emphasize the history of God’s people, painting a backdrop against the birth of the Christ child, the fulfillment of the prophesies and promises foretold in the Old Testament scriptures. There is a duality about the season. While we joyously anticipate the birth of Mary’s baby, the Incarnate Son Of God, we are reminded by the readings and traditions of the season that we also prepare for and anticipate the return of the Lord in his glory.

We wish you the most joyous of holiday seasons, and hope that you and your loved ones find time to share the true meaning and spirit of the holiday season.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

116 Responses to The First Sunday Of Advent

1. MaryfromMarin says:

Thank you, Menagerie. A blessed First Sunday in Advent to you, and to all.

• MaryfromMarin says:

A voice cries:
      “In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord,
      Make straight in the desert a highway for our God…
      …the glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
      and all flesh shall see it together,
      for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.””

—Isaiah 40:3—

• anarchist335 says:

John 1:23

• andi lee says:

He said: “I am

‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
          “Make straight the way of the Lord,”’
          as the prophet Isaiah said.”

(I had to look it up, anyway, may as well, post it -for others, like me)

• andeclain says:

There is a popular, published, translation which goes something like “Someone is shouting in the desert” instead of “a voice crying the wilderness”. Literally accurate, up to a point, but poetically and spiritually empty.

• Jeff says:

It looks like “The Message” (which is more of a heresy than a message) but it
          is the “New Living Translation”, more of a newly dead translation….. they’ve
          taken all the meaning and beauty out of GOD’S Word; indeed they’ve defiled it.

KJV has “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.”,
          which is the the same as the recitative that preceeds “Every Valley” in Handel’s Messiah
          (a sometimes tortuous tenor solo, but a great one!).

A Blessed and Happy Advent and Christmas season to everyone!

2. Beautiful! Jesus is the reason for the season! 😀

• NormaJean says:

Reason for life!! So thankful we now have a President-Elect who will banish the assault on Christmas!! Decorating and putting up several trees this year…. feel like celebrating BIGLEY!!!

3. sunnydaze says:

Beautiful, Sundance, and backatchya at you and yours.

4. anarchist335 says:

Thank You Baby Jesus!

5. ZurichMike says:

Still my favorite for Advent: so haunting

6. rashamon says:

As days go by, some experiences simply become more poignant. This is one musical production that touches my heart. Love the visuals, too. Old stones. Cellos. Piano keys. All the good stuff.

• amwick says:

There was a close up of the cello, about 35s and you could see the string vibrate… you could see the music as it was created… That does not happen very often…. amazing piece altogether.. TY Sometimes it is nice to have an earworm….

7. Duke Taber says:

Thank you Sundance for this.

I do not come from a Liturgical or High Church background but come from a Pentecostal/Evangelical background. However this year I am leading the church I pastor in a more traditional Advent celebration. I have never done it before.

This Sunday we will be doing this responsive reading and I thought I would share it with all of you.

Advent 1: Malachi 3:1-4

Prepare the Way Before Me

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight—indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years.

Leader: I have good news. The Lord is Coming! We have been expecting Him. We have been waiting and the time is drawing closer. What should we do to prepare for His arrival? Are we ready for His coming?

People: We rejoice at the good news of the Lord’s coming. We are anxious to begin the festivities and the Holy Days. We are ready for the celebration.

Leader: The Lord is Coming! He is coming with grace and righteousness. He is coming in purity and holiness, like gold and silver purified by fire. Will he find righteousness and holiness among His people? Can we stand in the presence of a Holy God? Are we prepared for His Coming?

People: O Lord, we want you to come. But not just yet. And not too close. We know the One coming is Lord and Savior, the embodiment of grace and love. Yet we do not always reflect that love. Perhaps we are not as ready as we think.

Leader: The Lord is Coming! Prepare the way of the Lord. Remove every obstacle. By the mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

People: O God, prepare us as we prepare for your Advent. Purify us. Cleanse us. Clear a way through the clutter of our lives. Tear down our pretensions to righteousness. Make a path through our doubts and pride. Soften our hearts that we may receive you with humility.

Leader: The Lord is Coming! Prepare the way, remove every obstruction from my people’s way. For thus says the high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I come and dwell with those who are contrite and humble in spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite.”

People: Hear our humble prayer, O Lord. Forgive us for wanting celebration without preparation. Fill our hearts anew with your love. Give us strength to serve you in holiness and faith. May we give voice to your presence among us as we await your Advent.

Leader: Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, every mountain and hill shall be made low, the crooked shall be made straight, the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

People: O God, come and be with us. We are ready for your purifying and transforming presence.

• sundance says:

This was put together by Menagerie. 😀

• Suzanne says:

I am an Anglican, and our Church is both liturgical and high. As part of our liturgy we make a statement of faith which some of you might like:
      Christ has died
      Christ has risen
      Christ will come again
      It brings me both comfort and hope,, and I find myself repeating this usually a couple of times a day.

• cohibadad says:

I love those verses from Malachi. I wonder though if there is any expectation of how our Lord is to return, or if it is a complete mystery. From the narrative you presented with the people and the leader it appears that they pray for them to be prepared. Is it expected that everyone will recognize our Lord when he comes again? Or just some will recognize him? In the Book of Acts it says of the first coming, “For those who live in Jerusalem and their rulers, because they did not recognize him nor understand the utterances of the prophets, which are read every Sabbath, fulfilled them by condemning him.” Acts 13:27. So the first coming resulted in the crucifixion, as Acts says, when the residents of Jerusalem did not recognize him and they did not understand what the prophets had said even though they were read every Saturday and so they fulfilled prophecy by condemning him. If the people did not recognize him then, will it be different now? Could our Lord be here now, but most do not know?

• andi lee says:

“So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.”

Revelation 3:16

• andi lee says:

I think, God is telling us, not to reside our heart in the state of Jerusalem.

• cohibadad says:

not sure what your saying

• andi lee says:

Cohibadad, it was an possible answer, within my knowledge, will we recognize or know when God comes. (The fault resided within the prophets’ teaching, so God condemned the prophets.)

(I am learning, leaning more to thoroughly understanding the Bible and God’s word as a living bible – Jerusalem, being a real country; also colloquial, a condition of the heart.)

Through Thomas’ posting, I read the book of Ezekiel.

Cohibadad, I think, God knew you were going to ask! – Ezekiel 38:14-15.

• The Holy Scriptures teach that the Lord Jesus Christ will appear FOUR times.

[1] As a suffering servant during His earthly ministry to the Jews.

[2] In the clouds to gather both living and resurrected dead Christians.

[3] Sends His angels to gather the living survivors of the Great Tribulation.

[4] With His angels to fight the Battle of Armageddon.

The Isaiah passage posted by Menagerie speaks of the Millennial Kingdom which will be established AFTER the four appearances listed above. After Armageddon there will remain “strong nations afar off” that will be rebuked by Jesus in His position as King of Kings. Additionally, Jerusalem will be reestablished as described in the latter chapters of Ezekiel. Jerusalem will be elevated in such a way as to be the “highest mountain”. The Temple Mount in its current position in the “Old City” of Jerusalem is NOT the highest mountain. For example, the Mount of Olives and Mount Scopus both stand above the “Old City”.

• JSBachLover says:

Of course Christ is here spiritually, and he sent the Holy Spirit after his ascension to be out Comforter, and as a guarantor of the truth of his gospel. But, no, he hasn’t returned. I’m on my Kindle so it’s hard to search and provide references; lol up the exact verses, but Scripture says Christ will come again in the clouds of heaven, with angels and the sound of trumpets, and every eye shall see him. A history-ending, cataclysmic event that no one could or will miss! How that’s possible from a physics point of view I’ll leave to God, author of all laws of physics.

• cohibadad says:

Yes. “Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him …” Rev 1:7 and “… they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory” Mat 24:30. But every eye seeing him does not mean every eye recognizing him. In Jerusalem the number of eyes seeing him was much higher than the tiny number believing him. “heaven” is the same word as “sky” many languages. 2000 years ago a vision of someone coming in the clouds might seem miraculous, but today coming with the clouds in a plane is commonplace. So I think it is open to interpretation, unless an infallible, incorruptible divine representative of God gives us the true interpretation.

8. kallibella says:

Even so, come Lord Jesus as the King that You are and set up Your kingdom and may all be for the glory of Your name.
    And you shall call His name Wonderful, Counselor, Almighty God, Everlasting Father, the Prince of peace.

9. NorthIdaho says:

So nice to be able to celebrate the Season here on this website.

10. boomerguy says:

One of my absolute favorites: A capella arrangement of a song co-written by (believe it or not) Mark Lowry, the Christian comedian.

11. imatexan says:

Thank you Menagerie. May everyone seek this precious gift given to us by our Holy Father God. All our blessings are found through HIS son Jesus Christ. God bless each of you.

12. Timmy-the-Ute says:

1st CANDLE – (purple) THE PROPHECY CANDLE or CANDLE OF HOPE – We can have hope because God is faithful and will keep the promises made to us. Our hope comes from God. “And again, Isaiah says, ‘The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; the Gentiles will hope in him.’ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:12-13)

P.S. In German states the candles are often all red, not purple or pink.

• skeinster says:

The purple and pink candles are a reflection of the color of the vestments worn during Advent in the Church. Rose vestments are worn on the third Sunday of Advent, also known as “Gaudete” Sunday, from the opening word of the antiphon “Gaudete in Domino semper”. “Rejoice always in the Lord.”

The third Sundays of both Lent and Advent are seen as little “breathers” in those penitential seasons. And why rose vestments are optional- they are only worn on those two Sundays.

Fellow Catholics- I’m a member of the EF or Trad parish in our diocese, so our readings will differ a bit.

• Anita says:

You have more patience than I. My niece, born in ’87 insisted on traveling to one of the only traditional Catholic churches in our area, downtown Detroit, for her wedding. I had a hard time staying focused on the mass. Wondering where we were in the mass as compared to my neighborhood church mass. Hope I don’t go to hell for saying that. 🙂

• tradmomof3 says:

@Anita 7 times. Give it 7 Sundays in a row and then go back to your neighborhood Novus Ordo Mass. Follow along with the book. You will recognize some of the prayers and liturgy but will see what was taken out of the N.O. You will never see it the same again. The Mass is not for us but for our God. Even my children recognize the difference now. We are only able to attend the EF twice a month but I am forever grateful.

• So true!!! We only have Latin Mass the first and third Sunday of the month as we share our priest with another chapel in Kalispell. The other Sundays I go to a NO Mass. It is very upsetting to me and disrespectful to GOD to get to church before the NO Mass to pray only to have everyone around me chatting up a storm. This is a place of worship! Why did people come there if they are going to socialize!

13. Dora says:

Advent always gives me a feeling of excitement and anticipation. Great things are going to happen soon.

Thank you for this thread.

• Yes they are! Glorious! Real hope and real change IS come.

• andi lee says:

Truly moving Spirit-filled thread, Menagerie. Thank you! The shared music videos, and the commentors, thus far, just feels, joyous. Thank you all! (So at peace)

It seems joy is mutual and one of God’s promises He gives us. Must do better, guard from theft but give away often. Yes! Very special/ blessed times ahead, indeed! (Joy, where have you been? I’ve missed you!)

~God bless and Godspeed!

14. georgiafl says:

One of my favorites is this recording of the Wexford Carol and there is a story behind it. Alison Krausse had ridden all night on a bus to do this recording session with Yo Yo Ma. They got this one right in just one try.

15. kittymyers says:

Ever since the campaign, I’ve been dedicating a rosary every day to Donald Trump, for his safety and health.

16. Mara319 says:

The first Sunday of Advent is the first day of the Church year.

To Thee, O Lord, have I lifted up my soul:
    My God, in Thee I trust: let me not be put to shame.
    Nor let my enemies laugh over me: for indeed, all who rely on Thee shall not be confounded.
    Thy ways, O Lord, show unto me: and teach me Thy paths.

Happy New Year, everyone!

17. Dora says:

Domenico Veneziano – Annunciation (1442-48)

18. Lanna says:

Thank you, Menagerie.

19. amwick says:

They shall beat their swords into plowshares
    and their spears into pruning hooks.

TY Menagerie… this is my favorite part,,, and now, especially now, we have hope!

20. skeinster says:

Menagerie- what a blessing to log on and see this this first morning of the new Church year.
    Thank you, and am looking forward to this each Sunday.
    A blessed Advent to all the Treepers!

21. Sundance, thank you for this thread. It is BEAUTIFUL! The entire world seems to forget that it is GOD Who is still in charge and He is there with us in this election victory. The candle is always burning at CTH. The advent of the birth of Jesus on earth yearly celebration I have been told is even celebrated in HEAVEN!!

22. Anita says:

Thanks for the beautiful post. 12 years Catholic school here, currently non practicing. This takes me back to a simpler time in my life. I look forward to more similar posts.

• laurelmarycecilia says:

Maybe, Anita, if you are a baby boomer or afterward, you grew up at a time when the Beauty and Truth of the Church was not being transmitted clearly. You can’t ‘practice’ if you don’t have the music ‘score’ in front of you……. (that’s the best I can do LOL) Check out http://www.churchmilitant.com or http://www.onepeterfive.com ‘Practice’ makes perfect and that’s where we are compelled to be….perfect.

ps I’m as old as dirt

• I was non-practicing for years after 12 years of Catholic school. Then we moved out to Montana and started attending Mass again. Our priest at the local parish was disinterested in the Mass. There was nothing there. Discovered the Traditional Mass through Ann Barnhardt, of all people, and have never looked back. What a huge difference in my life! I am so happy with life because of my faith. A daily rosary is my habit and such a comfort. Prayer has done amazing things in my life that I tell everyone that if you need something or have an issue in your life to pray about it. GOD always provides.

23. georgiafl says:

A tender song contemplating and welcoming the infant Christ, Holy GOD’s loving answer to our pain and sin:

24. straightstreet says:

LOVE The Piano Guys videos! I just had to go have a look and listen to more after the beautiful one posted above! Most of all I LOVE Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour \0/ I pray everyone has a blessed holiday season as we celebrate His birth!

25. BakoCarl says:

My favorite – Cloverton Hallelujah Christmas

26. the other Rick says:

Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

27. Dora says:

28. mtatina says:

A long time ago as a young novice in the convent we learned a simple but beautiful prayer in preparation for Christmas. I love saying this all year long. I’d like to share it with you all.
    “Come, my little Jesus, come my sweet Child. My arms are extended my heart is prepared. Come my little Jesus and make You’re home in my heart”.
    If you can put up an outside Nativity make the Lord welcomed in our communities again.

29. Ip Siscr says:

Psalm 123 (Latin Vulgate and Douay Rheims)

7 anima nostra sicut passer erepta est de laqueo venantium laqueus contritus est et nos liberati sumus
    8 adiutorium nostrum in nomine Domini qui fecit caelum et terram

7 Our soul hath been delivered as a sparrow out of the snare of the fowlers. The snare is broken, and we are delivered.
    8 Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth

30. odious debt says:

Happy New Church Year!

31. grainofsalt2 says:

Thank you and Happy Advent to all. I did the first reading in today’s Mass in church.

32. IdahoDeplorable says:

This is very uplifting to read all of this and to listen to the beautiful music that everyone posted. Bless everyone here at the Treehouse.

33. toriangirl says:

Love the 1st Day of Advent, the changing of the alter embellishments to purple, the lighting of the 1st Advent candle. Grateful for my PCA church that observes the traditional Christian liturgical calendar.

34. Ivehadit says:

One of my most favorite hymns of the Advent season…if I may indulge the space it takes.:)

Come thou long expected Jesus
    Born to set thy people free
    From our fears and sins release us
    Let us find our rest in Thee.

Israel’s strength and consolation
    Hope of all the earth Thou art.
    Dear desire of every nation
    Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver
    Born a child and yet a king
    Born to reign in us forever
    Now Thou gracious kingdom bring.

By Thy own eternal spirit
    Rule in all our hearts alone.
    By Thine own sufficient merit
    Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

Love Advent…preparing for the Gift…

35. freddiel says:

Blessings to all of you Treepers. Thank you Menagerie for sharing your blessing us.

36. Notmeagain says:

Thank you, I hope this post and revisions stay up until Christmas. We need to move on, back to normal life, back to the things that give lasting meaning. Good news, not fake news.

37. WSB says:

Menagerie, many thanks for a beautiful presentation of the beginning of Advent. My hope is that this will be a very positive new year for CTH, its supporters, for Christians and all people of good intent.

38. tradmomof3 says:

Menagerie, thank you for once again reminding us that we are on a journey and this is NOT our destination. Prayers for you and Sundance and all Treepers during this time of Advent.

39. Phil aka Felipe says:

Thanks, Menagerie. Good message = Gospel = Good News!

40. Happy Advent, Sundance!

May God bless you for everything you do for so many of us, and for our country.

41. txjohn says:

I’m sitting here listening to one hymn after another with tears in my eyes.
    Thanks for the encouragement & for rekindling the hope that the light has not & cannot be extinguished.

42. JBrickley says:

Because a real singer can demolish those in pop music – https://youtu.be/AQmfs6Fg__U