CBS News Republican Debate – 9:00pm EST – Open Discussion Thread

The South Carolina debate moderator is CBS News political director John Dickerson.  He will be joined by CBS News White House correspondent Major Garrett, and The Wall Street Journal’s Kimberley Strassel.

The debate will air live on CBS from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. EST tonight. – Live Stream HERE

cbs debate format

For those watching at home – feel free to join in with your thoughts on the debate below.

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2,220 Responses to CBS News Republican Debate – 9:00pm EST – Open Discussion Thread

1. cwf60 says:

Wanted to point out the hypocrisy of the candidates who do not believe Trump is conservative. When Bush and Trump were having their exchange about Putin, I wondered if anyone would bring up George W. Bush’s statement about looking into Putin’s soul. Jeb’s dislike of Putin is based on Putin changing. It appears that anyone but Trump can change their opinions depending on their audience and venue.
    Ten years of court cases have resulted in millions of dollars in fines in several Florida counties. Jeb Bush ordered citrus trees cut down on private property with no compensation to prevent the spread of disease to the orchards. He used eminent domain and the threat of jail time if the homeowner did not comply.

2. Liked by 16 people

• Paula says:

I noticed that when the audience was clapping the loudest a camera panned the audience only one person was clapping. CBS wanted a circus tonight.

• Sandra says:

I noticed that too!

• R-C says:

One minor correction: The RNC wanted a circus tonight–and they got it.

• Mike says:

Ah, yes fake claps. CBS – still just like the good old days with Dan Rather and Connie Chung, making up the story.

• A dude says:

I noticed something fishy with the applause right as Rubio finished his closing remark. There was a weird audio glitch that sounded like there was a tape of canned applause being played. It sounded like the tape was cued up a few seconds too far into the canned applause when they hit “play”– because there was no “build” to the applause, it came out of the speakers like it had already been in progress.

I only caught it on the live broadcast and haven’t gone back to check it to make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me– but the fakeness of that moment, in particular, really caught my attention.

The applause for Rubio and Jeb did seem to be canned throughout the debate– but I swear, in that precise moment after Rubio’s closing speech, there was something very suspicious going on with the applause.

• georgiafl says:

Were the boos and whistles also faked?

• Rex says:

How can we confirm this?
      If it is so, we’ll be shooting fish in a barrel.

• Buck Weaver says:

Wow, that would explain why the audience sounded like it was filled with teen-age girls, yet the crowd shots showed older adults.

• NCPatrick says:

Yes, I wasn’t watching most of it, had it running on a TV across the hall, so only listened to it. After a short while I began to recognize this high pitched screaming female voice every time one of the e spoke .. Rubio, Bush, sometimes Cruz, even a few times Trump spoke.

But it was always the same, that one voice topping the others, and I knew if that chick had really been screaming like that every two minutes, she would have lost her voice. Those creeps!

• louche9 says:

I knew it sounded fake.

3. ecmarsh says:

My favorite part was when Marco told Ted he didn’t know Spanish then Ted started chewing his ass in Spanish. I have no idea what he was going on about but it was funny.

4. Honest Abbey says:

Bret Baier tells Cruz:
    Thank you Senator Cruz, we like having you come on.

Bret Baier tells Donald Trump: Mr. Trump, thanks for the time.

This is too much! I can’t take it anymore!!!

5. Totally Domestic says:

Oh, did you hear Cruz bring up his cheerleaders, pom poms at the ready: Rush Limbaugh and
    Mark Levin? Note to the preacher, we turned them off long ago!

6. Big Jake says:

JEBurrito on Fox without glasses. Gawd. He looks bad. At least his dad looked good with or without glasses.

He says Trump,would raise taxes and increase regulations. Are you kidding me? What a liar.

• rayzorback says:

Consider the source….
      The BUSHES are “Skull and Bones” SATANISTS

• Polar Vortex says:

I liked it when Trump told Ted his mother should run

• marierogers says:

this excerpt from RENSE.COM ( there is much about this on google..this is history..i stand corrected if anyone disputes)
        and why is this never brought up..disgusting!!

“To sum up, the authors categorically state that the Bush family’s fortune arose as a result of its unconditional support for Adolph Hitler’s political project.

The UBC, under Prescott Bush’s direction and with the long-term cooperation of Fritz Thyssen’s German Steel Trust participated in the emergence, preparation and financing of the Nazi war machine through the manufacture of armored vehicles, fighter planes, guns and explosives.

The Bush family’s habit of dominating territories and wealth is nothing new. Their fascist genes were generated during the 1930s. Therefore defining the occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq and the threats to other countries as a continuance of blitzkreig offensives as fascist is no blunder. Neither is convening an anti-fascist front is a rhetorical exercise.”

• susiepuma says:

I knew about this because I read and researched……………but at the time, no one wanted to hear that because the Bushies were ‘sacred’…..sort of in the ‘how dare you say anything bad about this great family’ kind of thing…………………….they have been in the new world order cartel for generations

• Remember early last year when Barbara Bush said we had had enough Bushes? She probably knew Jeb was not cut out for this fight. Moms know their kids.

• R-C says:

And while little Jebbie is hiding behind his 90-year-old Mom’s skirts, perhaps someone ought to ask him why he chose to ignore her advice in this case…”Mommy Knows Best”, Jebbie.

7. During one of Rubio’s questions there was a sidebar that flashed on the screen for 10 seconds or so. What was that. I still think he knew the questions.

8. redlegleader68 says:

Well, Trey is now on, and it only confirms how depressingly disappointed I am in Trey. He’s now dead to me. Sorry. Just straight lying. truth.

9. rayzorback says:

Howdy Dooty Gowdy on Faux…..
    I kiss Marcos ASS!
    Jail Hitlery and then we “might” talk
    Politician…. Traitor….. Dumb Mass LIAR!
    BTW…. Get a haircut you porcupine looking fuchup!

10. Spencer's Mom says:

MSNBC asking Trump about his potential Supreme Court nominees – he says right now he favors Judge Diane Sykes and Judge Bill Pryor – although he cautions that he’d want to have them vetted more carefully first.

Good on him for being prepared for these questions! Get this out there fast – totally negating any Cruz attempts to suggest that Trump can’t be trusted to nominate an acceptable nominee.

11. CEEPORT says:

Another thing that the talking heads are getting totally wrong is how supposedly dangerous it is for Trump to criticize the Bush family and Lindsey Graham in South Carolina. Jeb has been in single digits in South Carolina for months! Graham was in single digits in his own state until he dropped out of the race. This idea that South Carolina is some kind of neocon or establishment stronghold is absolutely wrong. This was the same state Newt won in 2012, despite a massive establishment onslaught from Romney.

• Spencer's Mom says:

I am SURE that these anti-Bush comments were not OFF THE CUFF remarks on Trump’s part. I am equally SURE that he has tested these out and analyzed their impact or he would have never expressed them this way.

The media is trying to make a big deal over this, but they are clueless. Donald Trump leaves nothing to chance. He’s got this.

• The Boss says:

Exactly. I’m of the opinion he calculated the risk-reward of taking on the Bushes. And what he did was get Jeb! to show how weak he truly is when confronted – “Donald, you’re not invited to my Charleston party”.

• R-C says:

Or, perhaps Trump is just being Trump and will say whatever is on his mind whether ‘focus groups’ like it, or not.

• grumpy70 says:

I think Trump is reminding everyone of Bush’s legacy before he arrives in SC and put them on defense. We are retired military and didn’t appreciate that war at all, specially the treatment given to the veterans afterwards, as much as Bush visited them and said he loved them he didn’t set up anything for the returning vets and the problems with the VA existed then. I’m glad this subject was brought up.

• When Trump took on the Clintons, Howard Dean said Now He’s Done! The only thing that was Done was Bill and Hillary, who for once in their lives, kept their mouths shut.

Now it’s only fair that Trump takes on the other side of the Bush/Clinton family. To take down the Uniparty, you have to destroy both sides. Good strategy, Mr. Trump.

• daughnworks247 says:

Trump does this all the time; comment about John McCain, stop Muslim entry temporarily, illegal immigration. My jaw hits the floor, muscles tense and I wonder how he will survive. Time after time, he swings opinion and pushes us to look deeper into the facts.
        It is obvious that Trump “thinks quickly”. Damn, I’m going to have to be on my toes for the next 9 years. No more disengaged voters, eh?

12. reireichan80 says:

I just got banned from discus at the right poop for this horrible comment:
    “Unfortunately, this sites chosen one just got labeled a liar repeatedly; and not just by Trump. Stay salty my friends.”

Is it silly I’m proud of being banned?

13. I felt pukey watching that mess. Now that it is over and I have had some time to reflect, all I am thinking is what a fighter!

• marierogers says:

this was an assault on TRUMP..the audience was fixed..a fair thing to do would be no applauding ..
      later, his wife standing next to him seemed very concerned..
      next rally will prove to everyone that TRUMP still leads!

14. History teaches says:

Trump really stood out as an independent thinker. No need to pay homage to the Bush legacy or echo tired and stale party talking points. This is the way to win the general. Many independents and Reagan democrats want someone who is pragmatic and principled. Conservative as a philosophy without being a blind ideologue and party hack. Change won’t amount to anything unless there is a reinvention of the way the system operates.

Imagine the GOP if Ford had beaten Reagan! The One World Order may have become so entrenched that there would be no way out! Trump will deepen his conservative roots once elected and able to dive deep into the mechanics of governance, For now, he has to ferociously fight the party till the end and reveal who is with him and who against. This battle may be harder than beating Hillary.

15. NYGuy54 says:

What was that bit Rubio started yammering about Reagan? I think he said he grew up under Reagan as though he were an adult. He was 10 freaking years old. I was in Washington those years Marco. I saw the hostages come home, watched Reagan get inaugurated, was around when he was shot, saw Nancy get out of the limo with pajamas and slippers in her hand visiting her husband in the hospital. Where were you Marco? Oh that’s right, you had a babysitter.

• Skylight says:

Trump is the only candidate on that stage who actually knew Reagan and helped him in his campaign. The others just like to throw his name around.

• SharonKinDC says:

I think a few of Rubio’s responses showed what a lightweight he is. Went into the touchy-feely crap. As did Cruz. Frankly, one take away is the Senators really DON’T have the experience and chops to be CinC. Second, the Governors, Kasich and Bush, showed as so very weak, even if they were better on some numbers. Frankly, Jeb, hanging on to an iffy record, during the hottest go-go overheated economy is pathetic. Kasich…well… he’s not so popular back home in Ohio, and he sounded like a ‘let’s make love, not war’ hippie freak.

16. budmc ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ ᵃᶜᶜᵒᵘᶰᵗ says:

17. redlegleader68 says:

Hahahahashahahaha … Charles on FNC says that Trump blew it, especially vs. Rubio and Cruz. Yea, I know, you really surprised, but I do have to report. Wonder how long it’s been since Charle has been outside the bubble?

18. NHVoter says:

19. carole says:

Watched it all. Loved it! Donald’s The MAN! Rubio and Cruz beat each other up. Kasich and Bush went at it. All the while Dr. Carson’s looking nice and quiet (future HHS secy?) and The Donald very presidential! He killed all the answers called out the audience, said Jebbie’s mama should be running told the truth about everything including the liars and — best image of all: left the whole watching world seeing Jeb Bush forever after as ‘mooning’ everyone LOL President Trump 2016!!!

20. Trumped says:

I despise the Bush clan.
    So much death and misery cause of these gangsters.

I hope the rest of america knows about their dirty games. I dont buy that attacking this criminal family will hurt Trump in SC.

• Stefano says:

I have been a proud right wing extremist,a paleo conservative since..forever..and I have always despised all of the bushes as much as any dems,if not more,so Trump criticism of that criminal family has always been soothing to my ears.

• redsequin4 says:

Bush is the reason we got Obama. The country was so sick of him that they voted in an unvetted, no nothing, obscure Senator who really meant it when he said he was going to “fundamentally change America”. I mean the guy attended a church for twenty years that spewed anti American rhetoric and got a pass. As DT says, it’s not McCain’s fault he lost, Abraham Lincoln couldn’t have gotten elected, the country was so mad at Republicans. So this whole GW is a god now and we can’t look at history the way it really happened is ridiculous. Ann Coulter made a good point on Twitter:

• marierogers says:

TRUMPED..read my post about early bush and nazis..

21. NHVoter says:

22. Stefano says:

You know it’s Game Over time when Trump is soundly beating Cruz even at The Blaze ..

23. Polar Vortex says:

I think Kraut missed the point. When you are ahead and you want to win, you crush your opponents. You don’t play prevent defense and lose. That’s what Trump supporters want, to win again

24. redlegleader68 says:

Wow, Steve on FNC now saying –again– that Trump is not a conservative. Just WOW. How much hatred can they have? Yea, I know, really, us, CruzBots, YEB! Supporters, Marcocito Supporters, etc., but, seriously, the media in front of us all? Really?

• The Boss says:

Trump should be proud. He’s not Hayes’ type of conservative. Or Hayes’ boss – little miss Billie Kristol’s – type of conservative. I’ll take the Trump type of conservative.

• kenramsey says:

They are ruining the word “conservative”. Rubio is a full-throated conservative, even after Gang of Eight? Ryan’s a strong budget-hawk conservative, even after Omnibus? Heck, pick one even Ted Cruz and I can show why he’s not a true conservative. Trump’s come out with #BUILDWALL, Reaganesque tax plans, suspending Muslim entry, bringing back American jobs from overseas … and he’s NOT a conservative? Okay, then the word signifies nothing but situational semantics based bias. It’s worthless. There, look you’ve done to your precious “conservatism”.

• margarite1 says:

They can put any label on Trump and the rest they want. I don’t care what they call Trump, I am voting for him.

• redsequin4 says:

I can’t stand to watch Steve Hayes or Brett Baier for that matter either. Hayes despises Trump and will tear him down at every turn. I think the reason DT is winning in all the online polls is voters saw how stacked the debate was against him. The attacks were coming from everywhere. Americans don’t like unfairness and liars and what you saw up there tonight was a concerted effort to hurt DT as much as possible because they are so afraid if he wins SC he’ll run the table.

• R-C says:

Well, whoever ‘Steve’ at Fox is, he probably can’t define ‘conservative’–other than to repeat the mantra that Trump isn’t one.

But in the end…SO WHAT? We’ve been hearing that whole “Trump isn’t a conservative” slant for months on end now, and Trump’s lead has done nothing but grow.

25. Trumped says:

Top 3 trending on Google:
    “What is Ted Cruz’s real name?”:):):):):):)😀

26. NHVoter says:

27. I think the next debate should have Vince McMahon as the moderator, and instead of a “time is up” bell, Stone Cold Steve Austin should cold cock them with a folding chair.

A girl can dream.

28. Guffman says:

All of a sudden, Trump losing ground in Drudge poll. Down below 60%.
    I think Rubots and Cruzbots are hammering the poll.

• reireichan80 says:

That nutbar Glenn Beck must have released his minions on it. I like to imagine the wicked witch of the west sending out the flying monkeys from the wizard of oz when he does that to polls and websites.

• R-C says:

Wait a minute–that nutbar Beck couldn’t even rig his own Blaze poll to achieve a Cruz victory–Trump’s ahead there by 10 points–how is Beck supposed to rig the Drudge poll?

• R-C says:

They can ‘hammer’ the poll all they want–that result would be artificial and it won’t change REALITY. Trump is crushing this election and everybody knows it–even them.

• Wiggy says:

The problem with these online polls is that you can vote more than once. Thus they can be stacked by whatever groups wishes to do so. I think the polls that will come out in the next day or two will have a better gauge.

I did like seeing Trump ahead in the Blaze Poll. Beck is not above lying about Trump either. A shame Beck has fallen so far.

29. burnett044 says:

Trump winning all the polls…..he once again spoke truth to power….the establishment can not understand that the people are on to their game…the movement will grow and grow…the media are a total joke…even with all that stacked against him Trump still kickin ass and taking names

30. As with so many other debates, the most annoying person continues to be John Kasich for me. In earlier debates, he would interrupt everyone and make an ass of himself. Now, he is pretending to be the one adult in the room. Give me a break.

31. Barbara Horoy says:

Oh of course Donald Trump won he is the best our only hope

32. giddyup says:

i wish they would tell the audience to be quiet and not clap. it’s ridiculous.

33. wyntre says:

Lightbulb!

Before Dickerson got promoted to moderate Face the Nation (and now, the Republican Presidential Debate) he wrote for Slate. This is what he said about republicans.

New ‘Face the Nation’ Host Urged Obama to ‘Pulverize…Destroy…Delegitimize GOP’
    By John Dickerson (at Slate)

“The president who came into office speaking in lofty terms about bipartisanship and cooperation can only cement his legacy if he destroys the GOP. If he wants to transform American politics, he must go for the throat. …

Obama’s only remaining option is to pulverize. Whether he succeeds in passing legislation or not, given his ambitions, his goal should be to delegitimize his opponents. Through a series of clarifying fights over controversial issues, he can force Republicans to either side with their coalition’s most extreme elements or cause a rift in the party that will leave it, at least temporarily, in disarray.”

34. Ted Cruz does not give Trump the respect he deserves as the older male. I don’t think that goes over well. His line about the adults was just wrong.

35. ElGato says:

I always find myself leaning in toward the television when Trump is speaking. I know he’s going to say something that makes people feel physically uncomfortable and I absolutely dig it. I don’t know how many times I’m yelled “F**k yeah” before I realized my neighbors could hear me.
    TRUMP 2016

36. reireichan80 says:

About the planned murder thing, what a lot of people don’t seem to understand is how difficult it is to take away funding for them all together . There are sooooo many different government programs funding pp, it’s a variable spiders web of committees, departments, lobby’s; in short it’s rediculous. That why I always roll my eyes when the random establishment GOP person brings a bill forward to defund it. It’s horse poo, they know it, and now you know it. You have to go after these kinds of things in stages. Different things are covered by different programs. You have to dismantle it piece by piece.

37. Drakken says:

Some people are saying that Trump got too angry some are praising. What happened for real?

38. winky says:

Other than Trump, I looked at that whole group and it was a very pitiful sight to see. I asked my partner who he thought the worst one was and he said Bush.
    Bush is a very nasty and wicked man who has no soul. They are all bad but Bush clan is a horrible group who really needs to go away.
    It is not much to look forward to if Trump does not win

39. cheekymeeky says:

40. I just want to say, the landscaping at the White House is perfect the way it is, there doesn’t need to be another Bush planted….:)

41. redsequin4 says:

Winners and Losers at the GOP Debate in South Carolina

42. iam4Trump2016 says:

Did anyone else notice that #Trump2016 was the only candidate that mentioned our vets? This is a huge point that the idiotic MSM did not pick up on. Also, these men are running for the highest office in the land and CBS asked Trump is about his cussing? Are you kidding me? The politicians (conservatives and liberals alike) have gotten our country in this bucket of sh*t and this has been for decades and here you have a man – self funding his own campaign and beholding to no one and all they can do is disparage him? He is a national and international successful business man and the elites, SIG’s and pundits would have you believe that running our country is NOT a business what a line of horse hockey!!!! They are all afraid that if Trump becomes POTUS their little gravy trains will end – good! The Trump Train is a coming …We The People are sick and tired of all of their little machinations in WDC. This country needs a real leader at the helm and that man is Donald John Trump!

43. Summer says:

44. drdeb says:

We were on the road and Sirius did not have the debate. We recorded it and just finished watching it. One of my fellow Trump volunteers texted me that this person felt Trump lost the debate. This Person thought Trump’s answers to candidates demeaned his credibly. I received an in going call from my campaign manager. She felt the same way. You must remember that we watch or attend all Trump speeches, and have watched all of these debates.

Once home, we watched it and discussed it. Trump was Trump and that is the person the USA loves. At times I wanted him to mention Jeb’s eminent domain and the fact that lawsuits are still being filed over his order to cut down all citrus trees on folks yards. I was glad to see the ruling was over tuned. However, FLA is swamped with lawsuits. If Jeb is cut, that will not matter.

My SC prediction is Trump 1st, Rubio 2nd, Carson 3rd. Cruz will be fortunate to make the top 3.
    On Feb 20, we shall see.

The South HATES hypocrisy and I do believe Cruz’s actions will result in him leaving the race.

Appears to me that Cruz is toast according to the poll results. It looks like Rubio will emerge as 2nd. The Donald needs to brush up on Rubio’s stands with specifics. He also need to educate all of the fact that Rubio is not a Natural-Born Citizen as the Constitution requires for Pres and VP. In fact, Rubio’s parents came to the USA from Cuba. They were not naturalized until he was 4, Thus there is NO WAY he would meet the constitutional requirements, Rubio himself stated, before he decided to run for Pres, that he is an anchor baby.
    Pray America Pray for the well-being of DJT and his family!

45. John says:

Trump sounded like Clinton, Obama, Pelosi, Reid and Sanders. He is NOT conservative. Blaming Bush for 9/11 was vapid and intellectually dishonest. He supports PP. He has ZERO understanding of the conflict in the Middle East. We’re not going to “take the oil”, or “build a wall that the Mexicans are going to pay for”. He would not know how to evaluate a Supreme Court justice if his very life depended on it. He sounded petulant and juvenile last night and embarrased himself and all Conservatives as he claims to be one. With Scalia’s death there is only one responsible choice. Ted Cruz. Maybe Marco Rubio. Control your anger folks. This election will have dire long term implications for the direction of America if Sanders, Clinton or Trump wins.

• runthetable says:

You should take the first plane out of here, quick. It’s over for you SJW types. Real men will be fighting the good fight for America. Cuba might suit you.

• Gail Combs says:

OH WOW
      John is FOR overrunning the USA with muslims and illegals.

John is FOR the good high paying jobs going to H1B visa holders.

And most important John is for the Trans-Pacific Partnership that hand control of the United States to foreign corporations.

You can take your bafflegab and shove it John, because we already KNOW that Trump is perfectly capable of picking good advisors AND LISTENNING TO THEM!

The best boss I ever had put it this way. I don’t need to know how to run a gas chromatograph or an injection molding machine. I need to know how to pick the people who do.

• Trumpire says:

” Ted Cruz. Maybe Marco Rubio.”

The height of hypocrisy is staggering. Two ineligible candidates, one the very definition of an anchor baby, talking about ‘original interpretation’ and the great Scalia while they aren’t even eligible under a ‘living breathing’ interpretation.

John, you are the “vapid and intellectually dishonest, petulant and juvenile” one who has “embarrassed himself and all conservatives.”

• jello333 says:

I’m sure you’ve said the word “President” many times, so that shouldn’t be hard. So go ahead, let’s give it a shot. Say “President”… that’s right, you got it. Okay, now this may be a little tougher, but you can do it. Just add the word “Trump”. Say “President…” Awe c’mon… try it. “President Trump.” See, that’s not so bad is it? “President Trump… PRESIDENT TRUMP!!” There… you got it! Way to go John!

46. daughnworks247 says:

So, I’m watching the debate last night and we see the wide shot of Rubio and Cruz, speaking in Spanish to each other with Trump in the middle. The image was poignant.
    Keep in mind, Cruz is only 5’8″ tall and Rubio is only 5’10”, whereas Trump is 6’3″. Trump looked like the daddy and the two freshmen Senators, like spoiled children. Trump, the daddy, looked like he was ready to go to work in an immaculate suit, standing tall. Rubio and Cruz reminded me of 7th graders at a Catholic boys school wearing ill-fitting navy blazers and khaki pants. Then, I considered Donald Jr. and Eric Trump. They would not have acted so horribly nor presented themselves so poorly.

47. jim says:

never really watch cbs – whats with the the booing crowd ? reminds me of the Gladiator movie.

48. Shamrock says:

Fox News, isn’t it time to add a little variety to your panels? Every viewer knows the journalist objectiveness Steve Hayes, and Jonah Goldberg brings. It looked like Steve Hayes was going to pick up his toys and go home when Bret called him out!
    Please send George Will back to the 1990’s where he belongs (he is so irrelevant).
    I like Krauthammer, but he is getting predictable.