UPDATE:  25-year-old staff volunteer, Braden Joplin, has died from his injuries:

Braden Joplin

Braden Joplin

update-1OMAHA — A Ben Carson campaign volunteer died in a hospital here after a car crash in western Iowa Tuesday morning.

The accident prompted the Republican presidential candidate to cancel campaign stops Tuesday and Wednesday.

A van driven by a Carson campaign staffer, carrying three campaign volunteers, lost control and was struck by another vehicle on icy Interstate Highway 80 Tuesday morning near Atlantic.

branden 2

One volunteer, Braden Joplin, was transported to the University of Nebraska medical center in Omaha with serious injuries. He died in the hospital Tuesday around 4:30 p.m., according to a statement from hospital officials.

The other three people in the van were treated and released at hospital in Atlantic, according to Ryan Rhodes, Carson’s Iowa campaign director.

Carson, who was in South Carolina, canceled Tuesday and Wednesday campaign stops in South Carolina and California, said Jason Osborne, senior communication strategist with the campaign. The retired brain surgeon planned to travel to Omaha Tuesday afternoon.

“Carson will be heading to Omaha as well to be with the family and help in any way he can,” Osborne said.  (read more)

———– EARLIER —————

Prayers for the Carson campaign workers and their families…

Ben Carson(Via ABC) Three student volunteers and a staffer for Ben Carson‘s campaign were injured — including one “gravely” — during an accident in Iowa today, leading the Republican candidate to temporarily suspend his campaign activities.

According to a statement released by the Carson campaign, a van transporting the three volunteers and a campaign field director, “hit a patch of ice and flipped on its side where it was struck by another vehicle” around 11 a.m. local time.

Carson is suspending all campaign activity for the rest of the day in South Carolina to fly to Omaha, Nebraska, where one of the volunteers has been transported to trauma center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.  (read more)

a-prayer-for-times-like-these

Prayers for their recovery and their families.

This entry was posted in Election 2016. Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to SAD UPDATE: Iowa – Three Carson Campaign Student Volunteers In Serious Car Crash – Ben Carson Suspends Campaign…

1. IMO says:

Sorry to hear the young man didn’t make it. Sad day.

• tempo150101 says:

I was in Iowa over the Christmas holidays driving down I-35 during a storm. Let me tell you that in the two and a half hour stretch between Albert Lea, MN and Des Moines, there were literally 30!!! cars that had slid off the freeway and into the median or into the ditch on the side of the freeway. And some of the drop-offs from the road were very steep. I am not exaggerating.

The knock on people where I come from is that we don’t know how to drive in the snow and everybody freaks out when we get two inches. I’m thinking maybe people drive too aggressively out there.

• Gary Schroeder says:

High 80 across Nebraska in winter
        will put to rest any thoughts about global warming

I drove VW Baywindow bus across in 1989 and at full engine speed
        I could only go 15 miles per hour into the wind & snow

• don welch says:

especially young people who like to use their cells when they drive. don’t know if that was part of this equation of course.

• lvdancer says:

That happens a lot. People need to understand that going slow and cautiously is the only way to drive in bad conditions.

2. screwauger says:

Very sad to hear this news. My prayers will be focused on those involved. Tragic.

3. TheTorch says:

That really is shocking news. What a terrible tragedy.

4. gamecock123 says:

So heartbroken to hear, Let’s us all joined together in sending prayers to our fellow friends and and their families for their loss. May God keep them in His comfort and care as our hearts and thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

5. Americat says:

So very sad. Learned of it from Mr. Trump at the beginning of his talk… was concerned… We send prayers to Ben Carson, his Team, and especially to the involved individuals and their families.

6. Serpentor says:

Terrible news. I think we lost a true American patriot today. Prayers to the family.

7. So very sad. praying for the survivors and families of all.

8. LearnEdOne says:

He really is in a better place. I just hope the rest of truly believe that.

9. Doodahdaze says:

Get well soon!

10. justfactsplz says:

This is terrible. My prayers go out to this young man’s family, the others who were in the car, and Dr. Carson and his staff. This brings back memories of decades ago when my sister and her boyfriend were hit head on in Iowa. They survived but one was killed in the other car. The man who hit them was drunk and had his whole family in the car with him. The roads the next few days all across our nation are going to be hazardous.

11. WeThePeople2016 says:

This is so sad. He looks like such a nice young man in the picture. My thoughts are with this young man’s family and friends and the other two that were in the accident.

12. conservalicious says:

So sad. He was so young but at least he died while doing something he was passionate about. Prayers for Braden’s Family and the Carson Campaign.

13. Totally Domestic says:

Everybody drive safely, especially in the snow & ice.

I ask God to comfort Braden’s family & friends, the good Dr & his staff!

Braden died in the service of his country trying to make a better America.

14. Truly sad… Prayers and heartfelt condolences to the entire Joplin family.

15. CrankyinAZ says:

So very sad. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

16. LoreneTN says:

Prayers for Braden’s family. It’s a terrible loss. So tragic.

17. RM says:

R.I.P Branden. My prayers go out to his family and the others injured.

18. F D says:

Our heartfelt condolences.

19. Plain Jane says:

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

20. This is big news. But so far not a peep out of Anderson Cooper, Kelly File, of other news networks.

21. keebler AC says:

A young man who cared about his country enough to slug through the weather on an important mission, it’s a big loss for everyone. My heartfelt condolences to his family and Dr. Carson.

22. waicool says:

sad to hear this. God Bless You Braden Joplin!

23. redlegleader68 says:

Ben, we’re with you and your campaign “family.” I ask that you convey to Braden’s family our heartfelt sorrow at the tragic loss of this fine young American. May he rest in peace.

24. Helen says:

How horrible. Praying for Braden’s family and the other 2 young volunteers.

25. Doodahdaze says:

Now maybe Trump will pull in the Carson voters. I bet he will.

26. drdeb says:

Do you know why I admire you so much, fellow Treepers? You have empathy for this young man. I do too.
    I met the Donald via a campaign stop and attended Ben’s book signing on the same day/evening! Ben is a fine Patriot. I know he is grieving.
    I am stumping for Trump in my county. However, I think the world of Ben and I imagine how I would feel were it my son who lives in snowy Colorado.
    My Prayers to All,

27. jello333 says:

😦 Terrible, no matter who these guys were working for, even if it had been someone like Cruz. But knowing it was Gentle Ben, and considering he seems to be a really nice (if somewhat crazy) guy, I would assume he attracts nice people to work for him. So yeah… sad.

28. sundance says:

29. ezpz says:

How terribly sad.
    What a beautiful statement from Dr. Carson.
    Life is indeed precious – and oh so fragile.
    May Braden Joplin rest in peace, and may his family and loved ones be comforted in their time of sorrow.

30. Nightcrawler says:

I feel so bad for his parents. Such a loss. Heartbreaking.
    Braden was doing something he loved…It’s the only solace I can offer.
    God Bless.

31. Terry in GA says:

It is very sad to hear of such a tragic loss of a campaign team member. Though I don’t know Braden Joplin, the kindness and character of the man for whom he chose to volunteer gives me an idea of the kind of young man who will be terribly missed.

May Braden’s family and friends experience the peace that passes understanding that only Jesus can provide.

32. Rosies Seeing Red says:

I’m praying for Braden Joplin and his family. I have 3 kids all around that age — my heart is breaking for his family.

33. GiGizMe says:

Heartbreaking 💔 Such a tragic loss. God Bless

34. Justice_099 says:

My prayers and deepest condolences to the Joplin family and the Carson campaign 😦