SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean media say U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert has been attacked while giving a lecture and taken to a hospital for treatment.

Mark Lippert

Yonhap news agency said Lippert was injured, but it wasn’t clear the exact nature of his injuries. YTN TV showed a picture of Lippert bleeding from the head and wrist but said his injuries weren’t seen as life threatening.

Calls to Embassy and police weren’t immediately returned on Thursday. YTN said a man only identified by his surname, Kim, was arrested after the attack.

Lippert, 42, became ambassador last year and has been mostly popular during his time in Seoul. His wife gave birth here and the couple gave their son a Korean middle name. Lippert was formerly the U.S. Assistant Secretary Defense for Asian affairs. (link)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to AP Report – U.S. Ambassador To South Korea, Mark Lippert, Attacked During Lecture…

1. Sharon says:

Probably random. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2. czarowniczy says:

I wouldn’t put much stock in this as an indication that US-Korean relations have changed, probably a lone-nut as an NK provocateur would have been far more successful. I’ve had the privilege of working with the ROK military a few times and they know that the first casualties in an NK attack on the ROK would be the Korean and US troops on the 38th parallel. Matter of fact, I’d feel more comfortable standing with the ROK military rthan I would some NATO – GO ROK Capital Division!

• Col.(R) Ken says:

If the North crossed the DMZ, on Monday, by Wednesday morning there would be 10-14 million ROK military in uniform, and fighting. After being in country for a couple of tours of duty, it is my belief, the only reason we maintain a military presence, is to prevent the ROK from going North, to settle the score from 1950.

• czarowniczy says:

Oh yeah, I used to go over a lot for the yearly joint exercises. As I’d go from Cheyenne Mountain I’d end up in the Korean version of The Mountain (ahhhh, fried eggs, ham and kimchee at 2 AM…). As I was a kimchee eater the US side would put me in the Korean SCIF and when you listened to the Korean officers and senior enlisted there you had no doubts in your military mind that if given the chance they’d head north, kicking ass and letting the Red Cross take names. Many of them are still embarrassed by the loss of half of their country militarily (actually politically) to the communists and are bristling for that chance to get even. Damn good winter kimchee in the mess hall too.

3. lovelyd24 says:

Could be a random nut or it could be Obama’s constant painting of America as an evil empire and white American’s as evil people coming home to roost.

4. Aslan's Girl says:

Omigosh! He’s really bleeding. Yikes.

I don’t usually “blame the victim” by asking what did the victim do to provoke something, but since he’s an Obama mouthpiece I am wondering if he said something controversial to elicit such an attack?

5. beaujest says:

Probably asked for more security and was turned down !

• czarowniczy says:

Not from the Koreans – this would be an insult of the first water for them. Host nation’s responsible for ambassadorial security outside of the embassy, their government pols are hurting worse than the ambassador is right now. I’m going to watch to see what kind of act he offers the Korean people and government to slave over their embarrassment.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Czar, the Korean police, has this guy in custody, and he is squeeling like a pig, within 24 hours, the Korean Po Po will have the story. My questions are, where was the Ambassador’s security team, and the Korean security team?

• Larry says:

Watched lots of footage but saw no security. No paramedics or ambulance. Had to walk unprotected to squad car half a block away. Great plan!

• auscitizenmom says:

I thought the same thing when I saw the clip of him leaving. Nobody had called for an ambulance, or protected him? More of Obama Administration taking care of our diplomats?

• Survivor says:

Diplomats in friendly countries don’t use much or any security. I know the consuls and their staffs in Chicago, Los Angles, and San Francisco have almost no security and go about their business with no body guards. Israel is an exception. They have more tough security men than consular staff.

• czarowniczy says:

I’m betting they held back so as not to lose face by making it look as if there were a need to deeply protect a friendly and popular diplomat (Korean side). On the US side I’m betting the ambassador had them hold back so as not to look afraid of the adoring public or, worse yet in the face department, that he didn’t trust them. Gotta admit that this was a fluke, we haven’t had leftist inspired anti-US demonstrations in a long time and to put a praetorian guard around the ambassador when he’s meeting and greeting and representing the US is – we’re back to this again – a ‘face’ thing. I even expect the ambassador to release a statement basically forgiving the guy and asking the Korean courts to be kind and lenient with him. Face issue resolved all around.

6. sundance says:

7. czarowniczy says:

“The U.S., which backed South Korea during the 1950-53 Korean War…” Small point – the Korean War is NOT over, an armistice was signed stopping military actions (at least on our part) but a peace treaty has not been signed. The NKs and Chinese AND RUSSIANS ignored/violated that part of the treaty that had to do with repatriation of US/Allied POWs but State and DoD made sure the issue of a few dead or stolen and transferred POWs didn’t get in teh way of high 5s and promotions all around.

• czarowniczy says:

BTW. if you’re ever in Seoul go to the Joint Security Area on a tour (Panmunjom for y’all my age). It’s a great visit – used to be more of a hoot – as the silent political ‘doin’ the dozens’ is still going on but not as boldly as before. The US guards there who face of nose-to-코 with the NK have to be at least 6-feet tall, many are larger. The ROK guards have to be at least 5-1/2 feet tall (not as hard as it once was) and be able to do a great silent intimidation face. The ROKs guards had to have a black belt in Taekwondo, wore sunglasses and instead of full attention they stood in a modified Taekwondo ‘horse’ stance when staring down the NK guards. The NK guards facing the US guards ended up looking most of them in the mid-chest or worse. At one point some wag in the the UN delegates to the peace talks sneaked into the meeting room and sawed the legs down on the NK delegates’ chairs, thereby making them about nose-high to the table and causing them great embarrassment. Things got colder after the NK soldiers attacked and killed the UN soldiers clearing brush on the DMZ but the face-downs are still going on. Great thing to do before retiring to a nice table for a bottle or two of soju.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Unless your BN/BDE Cdr. put the word out, “no off duty drinking by officers of my command”. Hey we enjoyed our adult refreshments in the Q huts by the coal stoves……..ahh, the old days, in Reserve! Reserve for the heavy fighting!

• czarowniczy says:

I was pretty independent as I went over on individual orders and was attached to the Korean SCIF at the ‘K’ site. I had no problems as I lived in the tents or barracks on a ROK base at an air facility and I’d be drinking with the ROKS – they found it sort of amusing that I was stationed in VN with their fathers, ate Korean food in the Korean mess out ofthe stainless bowls using their stainless GI-issue chopsticks, ate kimchee without making a face, drank soju shot-for-shot with them and then ate haejangguk the next day to see if my brain could be undamaged and revived. I’m seriously thinking of going back in ’18 to see the Capital Division on the 0th anniversary of their saving our base’s ass in ’68.

• Judgy says:

My friend used to know a Korean guy OBSESSED w/ reunification. They had said on FOX that that was what this Ambassador-Attacker wants too. If it weren’t probably obviously bad policy to encourage him, I’d be interested in hearing an interview where he could describe just HOW he thinks that reunifying can be achieved–cuz that Kim Jong Un is such a rational, charming, open-minded PUSSYCAT, y’know. As vile, rude, and wrong as Howard Stern can be, I actually think he has quite a gift for interviewing loons. My ex-roommate used to make me listen to his shows when he had over-the-top cray-cray politically-minded guests on, and their uber-elaborate plans can sometimes be pretty entertaining.**

**That is, except when they actually HOLD OFFICE, like our Resident Evil Loons in the WH. **

Any ideas on what kinds of plans this guy might come up w/, Czar??
      (Err, NOT cuz I think YOU’RE a loon. Merely because you know your stuff!).

• czarowniczy says:

The standrad technique that the South used to make good Koreans out of captured NK 5th columnists was to jail them, treat them nicely but firmly and then at some point when they felt they knew their charge well enough to do so they give him some cash and take him out into downtown Seoul for a sightseeing and shopping spree. In most caess that worked, the NK knew they were being duped and lied to by the Kim-klan et al, they knew that the average NK lived a life of poverty and misery while the Communist oligarchs lived far better than the average NK could ever hope to live and that he average SK lived in a paradise compared to the North. At some point the NK uppers stopped using NK military on these sensitive do-or-die missions and started sending in the party’s close-hold shock troops as they see less of a chance for them to be compromised.
        The SKs have set up, with the NKs, a compound in the North that’s set up, run, supplied, all of that good technical non-Communist stuff, by the South with the actual work done by NKs. This allows the North to get hard currency, Northern workers to get some hard cash they can buy goods at the site with and get a look at and information about the South. This info travels around the North to contradict Northern BS propaganda – there are also NGO groups who mass airdrop (using balloons) radios and other commo devices and books into the North. One tiny solar radio can keep a whole village tuned in to real news from teh South.
        The South is winning, if you can call it that, as the North has had to become more and more draconian with their people. G-d knows how many starved to death over the last two decades while the regime maintained power largely by making sure the NK military and its families were fed. I have no doubts that the South has inroads into the North’s military structure, they are too close in every way not to. I’m betting that the NK upper echelons have an itchy spot that they can’t scratch – that if they attack a number of their field commanders will not be as NK-oriented as they’d like. The average grunt may have a limited idea of what lies south of the DMZ but that upper and mid-level brass knows and might not be as anxious to destroy it and go back to NK public housing as Big Kim thinks they are.
        The South has been working its defensive posture for some 60+ years now. Seoul’s within easy artillery range of the NK field units, and would be a nightmare for advancing NK troops to get through – never mind the distractions of a once-in-a-lifetime looting spree. The US has troops in reserve, the SKs are positioned deep and are well supplied and I’m betting we’d get all of the help, plus more, we’d need from Japan if the NKs moved south.
        I personally thinkl that if we can get China to stop supporting NK and using it as a funnel for terrorism and illegal arms/technology transfers that the North will implode.

• pspsst says:

Thank you for sharing your experience in SK. Must have seemed like a vacation and lottery to the NK caught!

• czarowniczy says:

When the NK and SK merge we’ll see one of the most integrated and powerful economies in Asia; I’d say they could easily make #3 behind China and Japan. The Koreans have been my favorite nation in Asia to work with – ROKs saved our asses in TET 68 – and I’d say they are our most stalwart ally in Asia. They are hanging with us even with our current Administration and that should count for something.

8. John Galt says:

“Kim was sentenced two years in prison with three years of probation for throwing a chunk of concrete at a Japanese ambassador in 2010. He also attempted burning himself to death in front of the Blue House in 2007.”

Security = none.

9. AdukeLAXobserver says:

I thought the world was supposed to love us since we got Obama as president.

10. TeddyOn20th says:

“a man only identified by his surname, Kim”

Really, that’s the best they could do? Fully 20% of the population of the Koreas is named Kim.

I once visited NK on a organized tour and it was the most fascinating thing I’ve ever done. Admitting to being an American on such a trip is like saying you’re a member of the Nazi party. It is just insane how much anti-American propaganda their lives incorporate.

11. auscitizenmom says:

They are saying on FOX that he had 80 stitches to close his cheek, which had a gash that looked like it went to the bone along with a cut on his wrist. 😯

• joshua says:

but it wasn’t “life threatening” according to the MSM….what a hoot….take a slash out of Crissy Mathews and watch him go lunar and rush to the ER for a month of recovery.

12. 0jr says: