Friday Open Thread – December 19th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

143 Responses to Friday Open Thread – December 19th

1. MaryfromMarin says:

A very good question indeed:

Are Drone Strikes More Defensible than Torture?

“…Since 2004, drones have killed an estimated 2,400 to 3,888 individuals in Pakistan alone, according to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism in London. An estimated 345 to 553 individuals in Yemen have been killed in drone strikes over the same period. The BIJ reports that the Obama administration has “markedly stepped up the use of drones. Since Obama’s inauguration in 2009, the CIA has launched 330 strikes on Pakistan — his predecessor, President George Bush, conducted 51 strikes in four years.”

On some occasions, drones blew up women and children in the target area. According to the BIJ, casualties of the drone strikes include 480 to 1,042 civilians in Pakistan and Yemen.

How is assassinating a suspected terrorist — and anyone unfortunate enough to be in his general vicinity — with a drone missile morally or legally different from waterboarding a confessed terrorist at Guantanamo Bay? At least the waterboarded suspect survives the ordeal…”

• tovex11 says:

Either option would suck if you are on the receiving end, as far as the collateral damage of the strikes, most likely they are service and support, command and signal or the very least moral support for the terrorist target. No sympathy for the collaterals, remember Al-Jazzera showing the cheering crowds over the World Trade Center destruction? I do. The Liberals are quick to point out that war in the gulf states are lasting longer than WWII, they never seem to mention Dresden, Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

2. carterzest says:

We need a Cuba thread ;=)

Here is the beginning of the sales pitch on the NEW NARRATIVE:
    Cuba’s retro rides

Kinda makes you nostalgic, no?

3. nyetneetot says:

Ha! I get to post pictures before morning!

4. nyetneetot says:

There’s nothing better than sitting on the couch in your underwear. I’m going to enjoy this until the department store security guys show up

5. nameofthepen says:

Christmas Cards from yesteryear. 🙂

6. Excellent description of some of the underpinnings of liberal hatred of Anglo-American values and character, from John le Carre:

• On above link, start at about 17:00. A British aristocrat in the British secret service is telling Alec Guinness playing fellow British secret service agent George Smiley, why he (the aristocrat) had become a turncoat and was spying for Russia, This is the final part in the 7-part BBC series, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

7. kinthenorthwest says:

Found this Christmas Video by KingdomHeartsGirl87
    Hope it brings back some memories to you too..

8. stella says:

Since Cuba is in the news, this is a good read from earlier this year:

The Last Communist City
    A visit to the dystopian Havana that tourists never see

Reminds me of the picture, “Utopia”, that Sundance often posts.

9. texan59 says:

Mornin’ all. Coffee up. It’s Friday! 🙂

10. WeeWeed says:

TGIF!! Mornin’ infidels!

photo 8c40cbd2-61aa-4cb8-9a7f-4c8a9ce635a6.jpg

11. texan59 says:

This is your government at work. They are now going after the big insurance companies so it looks like they are being tough on the financial world, while it is the banksters who are truly putting us and the financial system at risk. 👿

12. the last surviving centrist says:
    • the last surviving centrist says:

Here’s the paragraph that got me: “Lennon wouldn’t hurt nobody. He didn’t do drugs he didn’t mess around with any gangs. He went to school and played football. That was all he did.”

How about it, Treehouse? Bust the (white) gang that did this?

• judylwhelan says:

A friend just told me about watching a Hitler documentary and all of his medical records were found….some “druggie” he was and it had records of doctor’s notes/prescriptions…he even used meth….didn’t know it was that old!

• stella says:

I don’t know if Sundance is interested in this case, but I can tell you that our resources are limited, and right now it is the Chambers murder that is being investigated.

Seriously, did you ever consider doing something like this yourself? We started this blog almost five years ago from scratch, and have done quite a lot in that amount of time. There are eight of us working on it (all volunteer time), but Sundance does most of the investigation and writing.

It takes time and dedication, but it can be done.

• In the process of trying to learn WordPress better in my spare time. Have an idea of creating a haven for Libertarian parents 🙂 Ya’ll have inspired me here.

• stella says:

When we first started here, I opened a WordPress blog of my own (a private one) just to practice. It helps!

• auscitizenmom says:

I think I will pass. I just bought a new phone and I reckon I am going to spend this next year trying to figure out how to use it. I got a call on it and couldn’t figure out how to answer. 😦 I hate it.:(

• stella says:

I learn enough about the phone to answer, place a call, look at my email, and text, if necessary. That’s enough. Blogging is different. A phone is a tool (more a necessary evil, in my opinion), while a blog is a form of self expression. Depends on what interests you, I guess.

13. texan59 says:

“The Republicans Road to Rovetown” Lord, help us all. 😈

14. texan59 says:

ICYMI, Single-payor shot down in the liberal utopia of Vermont. Just take a minute to see how much it was gonna cost to run this scam.

15. LetJusticePrevail" says:

Currently watching a Fox News piece that portrays the recent campaign against SONY and the movie “The Interview” as “America’s First Cyber War” and says we lost it. The piece features retired Gen Jack Keane who tells a Fox reporter that this was absolutely an act of war, and that SONY’s response was feckless. He also spelled out Obama’s authority to respond in kind against the responsible party/parties.

First, I find this to be a distraction, in that this was not an attack against America, it was an attack against SONY and a particular film. But, more importantly, this totally ignores that American military and intelligence agencies have been compromised in a number of ways by Chinese cyber spies for a number of years. What about THAT “war”?

I

• texan59 says:

Troubling, yes. Surprising, no. 👿

• manickernel says:

I am more curious as to the makeup of the stockpile. We tend to think of the “Bomb” as a city smasher but 30 years ago tactical nukes were quite common that could be fired from artillery. (and even tried rifle-grenades, didn’t work, or rather they worked just tended to blast the launch point) Today these would be VERY useful on drones if necessary. Never have understood the reluctance to use them. Of course I don’t understand the ban on hollow points either. A kinder, gentler war.

16. MILLS says:

Last week during the debates about passing the budget I decided to tune into MSNBC (for some laughs). Ed Schults(pyscho) and another lib were talking about the the republicans wanting to remove some of Dodd Frank pertaining to derivatives. I was suprised when Ed and his guest said that we are heading for another disasterous recession and republicans are trying to deregulate Wall Street (blah bblah). This is the first time I heard anybody from the left mention we are heading for another recession. Did anybody hear about this? And do you think it’s true.

• michellc says:

I noticed at WalMart the other day that the shelves sure looked full. Usually this time of year the Christmas shelves are getting bare. Especially the Christmas candy and Christmas boxed gift sets. I don’t know if people are behind in their Christmas shopping, ordering online or just not buying.

I noticed at Tractor Supply they were marking down all of their toys and Christmas related items. I told the cashier when I was checking out that I never see everything 20% off before Christmas. She said they have been extremely slow, the slowest she had seen in December. She joked thank goodness for dogs, because dog food sales were about the only sales that were up and even livestock feed sales were down.

Again, I don’t know if it’s just people waiting until the last minute this year to Christmas shop or if they’re doing all their shopping online. The livestock feed sales down, could just be people are finally figuring out it’s worth the 20 mile trip to the feed store where feed is much cheaper and fresher than at the box stores.

• manickernel says:

I think it is trending that way, though not in the US at present. With an interlocked global economy that is showing weakness in Europe and Asia the chances are rising, but currently we are much better off than six years ago. Ultimately it is “faith” in the system that is most important, as Russia is coming to understand.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

17. texan59 says:

Remember the pic of Slick Willie with the red dress gal from earlier this week. You’ll never guess who she has been married to. 🙄

18. kinthenorthwest says:

My Good Lord–Can you all believe this crap.(Just a snipet from article)
    Sharpton to have say over how Sony makes movies
    Coming to a theater near you: Al Sharpton.​
    Hollywood ​came to the Rev. Al Thursday as embattled Sony exec Amy Pascal ​met ​privately with the ​black leader for 90 minutes ​in a bid to fix the fallout from the ​cyberhacking ​leak of embarrassing, racially charged emails.

Pascal agreed to let Sharpton have a say in how Sony makes motion pictures, in an effort to combat what he called “inflexible and immovable racial exclusion in Hollywood.”

“We have agreed to having a working group deal with the racial bias and lack of diversity in Hollywood,” said Sharpton.

He said Sony would work closely with his National Action Network, ​the ​National Urban League, ​the ​NAACP and the Black Women’s Round Table to “see if we can come up with an immediate plan to deal with it.”

19. kc10lvr says:

I’m happy to see this is moving along. Realizing some things do take time…perhaps we’ll finally hear the story? This has been buried for too long…but then again, the world is a never-ending line of stories that demand our attention!

I will refrain from comment until I know more about what supposedly happened to Bergdahl…but I can tell you all my military brothers and sisters have no sympathy for this guy!

Bergdahl investigation wraps up; Top leaders get briefings

The Army has finished its investigation into how and why Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl disappeared from his base in Afghanistan and plans to brief Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel this afternoon, officials said Friday.

20. LetJusticePrevail" says:

US OKs sale of 175 tanks to Iraq; deal worth $2.4B

Sounds like a great plan to me. Give the Iraqi military more hardware they can abandon for IS to use.

The Obama administration has approved the sale of 175 Abrams tanks to Iraq in a deal worth an estimated $2.4 billion.

A government statement says the tanks will help Iraq “quickly mobilize and defend its border” and demonstrate U.S. commitment to the country’s self-defense.

Congress was notified of the approval Friday.

21. texan59 says:

I found some keys layin’ around and lookie what I found. Belly up to the bar for a cold one. 😆

22. LetJusticePrevail" says:

Ran across THIS while navigating the ‘net and HAD to share:

23. WeeWeed says:

Uh-oh. Did we go wonk, or did I go wonk???

24. lovemygirl says:

Just an FYI – It hasn’t hit the news yet but another credit card data base has been breached. I became aware of it when a purchase was denied and I called in. They re-opened my account for that one purchase and are sending a new card by Monday. What I was able to guess by my recent purchases is it was Amazon that was broken into so keep that in mind while online shopping.

25. taqiyyologist says:

Found this just moments ago:

26. taqiyyologist says:

Known him for 12 years or so. Good guy. His son is one of the best new kitchen workers I’ve ever seen, always full of joy. He and his siblings could use prayer, and like now.

27. michellc says:

I’m helping my daughter get all the baby’s stuff washed this evening. The doctor keeps saying he’s going to come early. So she figured she better get it all ready. She’s had a few scares a long the way with early contractions that they had to stop.
    I told her this evening that he was just fooling them, now that she’s almost to the point where they said they wouldn’t stop them again, he’ll decide to wait until after his due date.lol

It’s hard to remember my babies small enough to fit these tiny clothes.

• auscitizenmom says:

🙂

• Sha says:

Man oh man ! You might get a really cool Christmas present. 🙂

• michellc says:

I hope he stays in there as close to his due date as possible. They say boys have more problems breathing when they’re early. Although, that wasn’t the case with me, both my boys were early, one was 2 weeks early and the other 5 weeks early and were perfectly fine.
        So I just keep praying whenever he decides to be born that he will be healthy and my daughter has no problems. Nobody ever told me I’d be more worried about my daughter than I was when I was pregnant.lol

• auscitizenmom says:

Added my little prayer for both of them.

• auscitizenmom says:

I discovered that any injury to myself I could handle just fine became a major problem for me if it happened to my child. Now my DIL is pregnant and sometimes I feel a little sick from worry for her, and we just got started. 🙄

• michellc says:

I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter my mom annoyed the heck out of me. Called me at least once a day to ask if I was okay and as my pregnancy progressed, the number of questions progressed.
            One day I told her, “mom you had 7 kids, you have several grandkids, your other two daughters have kids, since when did being pregnant become such a big deal?”
            She told me, “When I was pregnant I worried about my babies, but I knew what was going on. When your sisters were pregnant I worried about them and the babies. Now that you’re pregnant I worry about you and the baby and unlike when I was pregnant, I don’t know what’s going on with the baby unless you tell me. Someday you will have a daughter who is pregnant and then you will understand.”

From then on I answered her questions patiently even if at times she was annoying.
            She’s right, now I understand and I’m sure there are days when I’m just as annoying to my daughter as she was to me. When she was first pregnant I would tell her all the time to be careful or she shouldn’t do that and she’d tell me, “mom you’re hovering.” She still tells me that some days. lol
            So I tell her something similar to what my mom told me, “soon that baby will be here and then you’ll understand a mom worrying.”

It’s been hard on this old mom, she lives next door, so I see her out doing stuff with the animals or other things. It was different when I was the one doing things others thought I shouldn’t be doing.lol

28. WeeWeed says:

Apropos of nothing. I WAS watching this 1955 crap “The Glass Slipper” with Leslie Caron. Hit her wiki to see if she was still with us and she is (83 or so) – busted her tookus to become an American citizen and promptly voted for Hussein.
    Whadda great country, eh? 🙄

29. partyzantski says:

Not a Christmas story, but the interesting recollections of a man who had to flee East Germany. Romance, bureaucrats, chance and the hand of God are all revealed in the dozen short chapters. If interested, you can read online at
    And as an added bonus, get to re-live some of the 1970’s through other eyes.