Pilot Marine Captain William Mahoney

Story Via Stars and Stripes

This entry was posted in Heros, Military, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Super Cool Video – Harrier Pilot Lands Using Stool To Replace Malfunctioning Nose Gear

1. canadacan says:

This young fella has a great life ahead of him.

2. Herr Doktor Professor Muckefuck says:

I didn’t know Americans used Harriers. I thought they were considered too dangerous because they overheated and therefore were vulnerable to heat-seeking missiles..

3. Sharon says:

That is so great. I love the smile on his face when he talks about “….I was just hoping it was there….I couldn’t see it as I came in…” or whatever.

His obvious joy at gittin’ it done. And I bet Paddles up in the tower was grinning, too. I love American military men who know how to get things done – no matter what.

4. LetJusticePrevail" says:

Is it standard procedure for Harriers to land vertically, even on aircraft carriers?

5. seacane says:

He’ll probably be disciplined because the stool was white, didn’t give the other stools an equal opportunity.

6. partyzantski says:

Harriers operate from small deck carriers known as “amphibs”. The USS Nassau is an LHA, there is another class the LHD. LHA is jokingly referred to as a “large hotel afloat”. The LHD is a “large hotel deluxe”. The Navy considers them “gator freighters”, as they are used to haul Marines around.

The amphibs do not have a lot of deck space or catapults, so Harriers when embarked operate vertically.

The Harrier is an old design, originally the Hawker Siddley Kestrel. Then came the Harrier in several evolutionary models. The originals were all manual, no autopilots as I recall being told. Harriers are semi-jokingly referred to as “North Carolina Lawn Darts”, and the easiest way to end up with one is to own a house on the Cherry Point glide slope. Gallows humor.

I do not think that the vertical take off and landing fetish of the Marine Corps can survive much longer, given the distinct low bang for the buck you get due to the massive engineering tradeoffs involved. The JSF may work, someday. MAY. Just usher in the drone era and be done with it already.

The advantage of being able to launch and recover anywhere is somewhat fictional, as both operations create massive dust and debris clouds that unfortunately can result in in foriegn object damage (FOD) to the pricey engine. The pilot has only one, so if it goes, he is leaving in a hurry.

The British used Sea Harriers to good effect against the Argentine Air Force during the Falklands, not sure of much USMC Harrier air-to-air success. Mostly used to do ground attack.

That said, the improvisational ability of Marines are legendary. I am glad this guy gets to go home after this, he has a new lease on life.