1st Grade Math Test

Test in China.   Student’s given 20 seconds to solve question.   Can you do it?

chinese math test

Answer/solution below.

chinese math test

This entry was posted in Humor & Quizzes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to 1st Grade Math Test

1. VictorBeaklini says:

I don’t get it.

2. Aslan's Girl says:

Ha! I love it! Very creative. Certainly better than Common Core 😉

3. Edumakated says:

That is slick… The numbers are upside down. When you flip it is 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91. The car is in 87.

• elvischupacabra says:

The numbers are right-side up to the person parking the car. It is kind of obvious. I was looking for some other “trick” answer.

4. maryfrommarin says:

5. maryfrommarin says:

^^ as seen from original viewing point, DUH!

6. I cheated and asked Lucifer.
    He said “87” …because If you look at the image from opposite side, parking numbers are in the sequence 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 and 91. 😈
    Now I owe him, big time. 👿

7. maryfrommarin says:

(*cough, cough*) I mean a crooked “L8” as seen from original viewing point. And the “duh” is on me.

[fall back, regroup]

8. ZurichMike says:

Two seconds. And I didn’t look ahead. I think it’s time ti play the “name these countries” map game again!

9. Duh! It’s the second one from the right.

10. partyzantski says:

That was very interesting, no, I did not get it as I was looking at it conventionally.
    On one of the Apollo flights, they asked the answer to what the sequence “OTTFF” was and what was the next letter. In a way, same sort of deal.

11. Sharon says:

Well, I guess I won’t be going to the moon or to first grade in China. I had no idea what I was looking at and just went to the answer. Can I still stay?

12. Kairn says:

Figures. China is on the other side of the world. So of course we’d be looking at an upside down parking lot.

13. rumpole2 says:

Thanks….. very interesting…. I didn’t get it before seeing the solution ….. RATS!!!!!

I’ll post it and see who gets it… without revealing solution.

I wont say .. but I’ll BAN anybody who gets it.. can’t have members smarter than I am … lol

14. P.Spinach says:

That’s downright evil. I stared at the numbers for an eternity and noticed I did not like them. 87 is a good number though. The only number in the series which cannot be upside down. Take that, Confucious!

15. Daniel says:

Well that makes sense. They are on the other side of the world. 🙂

16. Gregg keyes says:

My answer was second from the right numbers confuse me.

17. dsb steve says:

That is the kind of question that you need test prep for. I could not answer it and would esp not have gotten it in 20 seconds. But now that I have seen it I would be much better prepared to answer a similar question.

18. dsb steve says:

The question is also a little misleading. The question should be “what parking spot number is the car most likely parked in?” Without seeing the number painted on the ground you cannot know for sure what the number is. What if the painter made a mistake and did not number all of the spots in sequence? Or what if a prankster painted a new number over the sequential number?

19. anniemae says:

That’s a great problem! If you just focus on the numbers (like I did!) it is difficult to solve. If you take in the entire situation in the problem – a parking lot with numbered spaces – the problem is easy to solve.

Thanks for posting this problem.

20. Qualified for MENSA largely on my ability to decipher spacial riddles. This one stumped me, which means I must be getting old timers disease. To be fair, the original fix had the numbers flipped the wrong way which made it even more confusing.

• Dr. Bogus Pachysandra says:

“Qualified for MENSA”
      Me too,,,,,, but the first thing that entered my mind was that it was one of those high school math “sequential series” problems that I hated! Then I blinked, and saw it in a completely different manner, and knew the answer. I was just thinking that it had to be”complicated,” as are so many other things in life!

• Long, long week, 16 hour day on Thursday, passing out tired by Friday afternoon, not the best time to approach it. And, yes, I, too though impossibly hard sequence. However, upon looking at the “Answer below” is when I was really stumped, and it’s because the image was originally flipped upside down and BACKWARDS, making the sequence 19, 09, etc. with all the nines and sixes backwards. Or, possibly, this never occurred and my dyslexia just kicked in really badly at that moment. Having to cut cardboard fitters for a work project on Friday, I had to cut them all right side up because I couldn’t do it inverted, which is usually easy. Been said that fatigue/lack of sleep makes one more drunk than alcohol, and I believe it. Also said to lower the IQ significantly. Long story short, a Chinese first-grader with a good night’s sleep can run intellectual circles around sleep-deprived me. 可是,我还可能比较好读汉字。 :D

21. joe says:

one clue, that I ignored, was that it was a test for 6 year olds, who even in china, probably haven’t been taught about numerical sequences yet.

22. Burnt Toast says:

“18”

The guy making the pavement markings was illiterate in arabic numerals, tried to follow the plans, but could not distinguish between 6 and 9 (other than what side the tail was on); the top or bottom of 8 (flipping the sketch over to get a different perspective gives Esher); and 1 and 7 are indistinguishable (top or bottom – for clarity, ones are written as | and sevens are +).

This answer, of course, assumes that the student knows as much as the test writers, but also knows what the writers did not – the eights are upside down.

23. dekare says: