UPDATE:  We covered this two weeks ago.  However, the media are beginning to report because video has been released:

Shoot First – Ask Questions Later

Bobby CanipeSouth Carolina – Deputy Terrance Knox, 24, stopped Bobby Canipe, 70, of Lincolnton, Tuesday night in Clover, for an expired tag.

Deputies said Canipe got out of his truck and grabbed a walking cane out of the bed of his pickup. The deputy thought the cane was a weapon.

Knox fired his gun at Canipe several times, striking him once in the stomach area.  Close friends said Canipe had surgery Wednesday at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, and is expected to survive.

[…]  Sheriff’s spokesman Trent Faris said Knox reacted to what he thought was a threat.

“The situation is very unfortunate.  It does appear at this time that Deputy Knox’s actions were an appropriate response to what he reasonably believed to be an imminent threat to his life,” Faris said.  (read more)

update-1PREVIOUSLY – Law Enforcement Targets, Inc., a provider of shooting targets to the Department of Homeland Security and various municipalities, admitted that targets depicting pregnant women, children and older folks, were “requested” by law enforcement agencies.

Asked by Mike Riggs at Reason about the targets, the company responded:

“The subjects in NMH targets were chosen in order to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training.

I found while speaking with officers and trainers in the law enforcement community that there is a hesitation on the part of cops when deadly force is required on subjects with atypical age, frailty or condition (one officer explaining that he enlarged photos of his own kids to use as targets so that he would not be caught off guard with such a drastically new experience while on duty).

This hesitation time may be only seconds but that is not acceptable when officers are losing their lives in these same situations. The goal of NMH is to break that stereotype on the range, regardless of how slim the chances are of encountering a real life scenario that involves a child, pregnant woman, etc. If that initial hesitation time can be cut down due to range experience, the officer and community are better served.”  (read more)

Here is the older man in the “No Hesitation” target:

NMH Target #2

Again, here is the picture of  70-year-old Bobby Canipe:

Bobby Canipe

… If that initial hesitation time can be cut down due to range experience, the officer and community are better served.”  (link)

ANY QUESTIONS ?

pew pew pew merica

This entry was posted in Death Threats, Police action, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Trigger Happy Much ? South Carolina 70-year-old Vietnam Vet Shot During Traffic Stop – Walking Cane Identified By Officer As Weapon – *UPDATE* Video Added

1. Daniel says:

I think one of the more interesting details is that the deputy missed many times and hit the man only once. And that once is in a “non critical area” which is significant considering he’s 70.

“Why do you need [so many] rounds in a magazine?!” Well? There’s always the possibility that you could be just as accurate as THAT “trained professional” you know?

2. auscitizenmom says:

I’m speechless. SMH

• canadacan says:

Another stupid cop that’s a lousy shot.Thank God.
      Try a little profiling you damn moron.
      I am beyond outraged.
      Nearly hit a law enforcement vehicle crossing traffic in the middle of the night .Right where there is very poor lighting .No lights on.
      If my headlights hadn’t lit up the insignia on the door of the deputy sheriffs car,it would have been game over.What the hell is going on with these people.

3. dws says:

Yeah. This was reasonable but Michael Dunn wasn’t. Makes sense.

4. Karen in Kalifornia says:

“The situation is very unfortunate. It does appear at this time that Deputy Knox’s actions were an appropriate response to what he reasonably believed to be an imminent threat to his life,” Faris said. I hope he gets the chance to tell that to a jury in a civil lawsuit.

• canadacan says:

That veteran and his family are going to be all over this like a cheap shirt.
      I hope there is some fat and happy Christmases with his family for the future.
      This wasn’t the case of friendly fire this is just stupidity.

5. Abagail says:

“Shoot First – Ask Questions Later”

Isn’t that the purpose of no hesitation targets?
    Don’t they include senior white males?
    The answer to both questions is, yes.

There’s really no debate about police shootings being over that red line. Now, what lawyer, legal foundation, or politico is going to tackle this problem?

I’m almost more apprehensive about an encounter with police than a potential criminal. That’s pathetic, but I cannot help it. It’s time to travel in pairs as a minimum.

6. Chip Bennett says:

Read the article comments. There are already idiots over there playing the “He didn’t hafta get outta tha truck” card.

Oh, horse hockey.

If a private citizen shot another private citizen in the stomach, because the second person grabbed a cane out of his truck bed and the first person thought that the cane was a weapon, the private citizen would be (rightfully) charged with a crime.

The standard is reasonable belief, and reasonable fear. Mistaking a cane for a firearm does not meet that standard.

Further, the victim had a female passenger in the truck with him. Thus, the deputy’s reckless use of deadly force jeopardized that passenger. A non-LEO might even be charged with attempted manslaughter in that situation.

• canadacan says:

I didn’t realize he had a female passenger !! Sonow he’s got a witness.
      Why isn’t this officer under suspension pending investigation(rhetorical question)?
      I will say this, in Canada an officer ,if he clears his holster has umpteen pages of paperwork in front of him.
      They really think twice or more even if they are less smart than the average bear.
      Changing the subject I like the remark horse hockey.Interesting that the Americans now have horses playing hockey.
      Yes I got it.

7. Joseph Keesling says:

The cop should be shot He brought it on himself So thoughtless and full of snot He must be “put on the shelf!”

Sent from my iPhone

8. LetJusticePrevail" says:

FTA

“Knox is on leave until the investigation is over. The Sheriff’s Department does not plan to release the dash cam video from the deputy’s patrol car.

Yeah, I can bet they don’t want to release it. FOIA baby….

• sundance says:

Yeah I know. Initially my gut instinct was to send them a public records request, then I read their disclaimer as you note above…..

I have a feeling lighting was not a concern. Headlights and Q-Beam on the guy would diminish the “difficult to see” claim. I’ll bet a donut this was a “twitchy” cop – the worst kind of danger to the public..

9. Reminds me of Amadou Diallo, who was shot up by NYC police for reaching for his wallet.

….four plainclothes officers engaged a young man named Amadou Diallo when he turned on them pulling an object that appeared, in the poor light, to be a small automatic pistol. All four opened fire, and five seconds later they had fired some 41 shots. Nineteen of those bullets struck Diallo before he went down and dropped the object he was holding, which turned out to be a black nylon wallet. Sixteen of the 19 bullets over-penetrated. Diallo died of his wounds……

10. Lou says:

smh! I bet he wins a lot of money, but at that age who cares about money. health is everything at 70.

11. AdukeLAXobserver says:

Man was old.

Man was limping.

Only a mental midget thinks he is a threat. Also how many 70 year olds have pistol grip shotguns?

12. Lou says:

at Trail Glades the range instructors will tell you that they aren’t allowed to use a black silhouette because it was deemed racist by blacks. I say fuk these race baiting POS. it’s okay to show an older white gentlemen. it’s about time white people stand up and call blacks on their BS.

• DKKnight says:

Totally in agreement. I already call them on their BS though. Always have. Who gives a rip if someone calls me a “racist”? It just a stupid word, people.. A word created by Marxists to create DIVISION. Now, figure out who created Marxism/communism (no, it wasn’t the Russians), and you’ll understand just WHO wants this division, and WHY they want it.

The bottom line is that most people (especially Whites) are afraid of simply being called a ridiculous name. What a nation of cowards. My God, we have become SO SOFT.

13. dekare says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Lately, it seems a lot of cops have been screwing up and being dickheads, or maybe it’s just being reported more often. As a retired cop and lawyer, I could see both sides and if I was made to argue for either side, could make a good defense or offense on this.

The number one rule for all cops, which trumps all others, is “go home after you shift”. Don’t get killed. I too question why the old guy got out of his truck, but it has been my experience that the older generation does this out of the belief that you talk to people face to face. As the cop, I may have drawn my weapon, but I wouldn’t have been as quick to shoot. But we can’t say what this cop’s experience is and what neighborhood it is. I will agree that an expired tag is being picky. In the neighborhood I worked, traffic was the least of our concerns and typically only used as a pretext to get at real criminals.

I bet the cop gets cleared, no charges, no job lost, but will get some re-training, and the city or county will write a tidy little check to say sorry.

I don’t think this story is like the others where the cops were real assholes, but one where the cop made a bad call. After the cop realized his mistake, he acted properly, and seems genuinely concerned.

• auscitizenmom says:

Here is the video of the shooting. I think it is clear the cop is very distressed at having shot the man.

• auscitizenmom says:

There is a portion of the video that I saw on the Megan Kelly File that is after the ambulance has arrived and the deputy is sobbing almost uncontrollably. I couldn’t find that part.

• Abagail says:

Whatever his training was, in his case it either wasn’t enough or he simply isn’t cut out for the job.

Ironically, because of his hair trigger reaction, the next stop could cost him his life because of hesitation at not wanting a repeat.

Just wanting a job or career doesn’t always mean it’s a good fit.

14. Fudge says:

Well Douchnozzle Knox, God may forgive you but I won’t. I am not a badly trained thug like you are, but I could tell he was crippled just by the way he got out of the truck, you stupid SOB. I hope you end up offing your own worthless ass, you commie rat bastid.

15. Burnt Toast says:

Coward with a badge and gun.

16. Stephanie says:

As the daughter of a man who fought in Vietnam and was a SC Sheriffs Deputy, my heart goes out to both of these men. I pray they both make a full recovery. The video brought me to tears.
    And to all of you with nasty comments about cops… I dare you to go on a ride along and see first hand what police officers deal with. I bet the man that was shot has more compassion and respect for this young officer than any of you.

• LittleLaughter says:

Stephanie- I do not like most police officers any more. I do not respect them either. I’m speaking mainly of the local police here in my NC county. For the last few years, I’ve seen the attitude, arrogance, and ignorance of them like I never knew before.
      Having said that, I feel badly for this particular cop. It appears to me he was very young & inexperienced and reacted in a manner that was grossly inept. But clearly, he regretted it. I doubt that he- unlike so many of the piggish cops who have crossed the line just to assert their authority- will ever be the same. He seems so overwhelmed with regret and sorrow that I wouldn’t be surprised if he chooses not to be a policeman any longer. I pray for both of these men and their families.
      The deceitful, unethical, bullying cops I know would not shed a tear for this man had they shot him. They’d lie about the whole incident.
      So do not claim to know what we here think and feel. We often disagree on points and issues, but each of us has our own experiences we are drawing from and each of us respects the others right to think, feel, and perceive situations individually.

• we have become a society where the cops are the ‘us’ and ‘we’ are the ‘them’… I’m sorry but if the officer can see an expired license tag at night.. he can see a fucking cane.. That veteran is worth a hundred cops.. he is an american.. a citizen.. he should not be killed or mauled because of an expired license fucking tag… I believe the officer was extremely hurt and affected by this.. but just listen to the other officer.’ man you did what you had to do.. (my words>>>> its US or them)>. well WE fucking live here.. we have freedom opf movement.. day or night !!! If being a cop and pulling over a car at night is actually worth it.. he should have used better judgement.. PERIOD !!! is expired tags worth the officers life ???? No… good grief.. this poor man deserves a fat check and a face to face apology.. like none other.. I hope that deputee is ashamed for the rest of his life.. We fucking live here.. and expired tags are not worth the officers life nor the 70 yr old veteran… so the ‘ride along and you’d understand bullshit is just that..bullshit’ !!!!

17. Lee says:

The officer’s judgement is bad – he should look for another line of work. But, I could feel for him, too – he is sobbing and you can tell he is truly remorseful. I pray for healing for all involved.

18. Lou says:

target plus man who gets shot that looks like target is discrimination. a hoodie target is racist, but a picture of a real white man isn’t. this is Obama’s America.

19. Aslan's Girl says:

I saw this on Megyn Kelly tonight and all I could think was what a, well, I used a cuss word for the cop when I saw it. I think this video should be required viewing by EVERY cop across America. See how horrible this idiot cop felt and avoid the same fate.

And to make this WORSE, the cop who comes to help tries to make the first idiot cop feel better by telling him he did what he “had to do, you felt your life was in danger, bro”. UGH!!! And the chief’s statement was that he thought the cop acted appropriately?

No, no, and NO!

20. ed357 says:

I’d sue the cop, the department, and the manufacturer of the target that profiled this man.

21. Aslan's Girl says:

This paragraph from the local news link seems biased to me:
    “Deputies said Canipe got out of his truck and grabbed a walking cane out of the bed of his pickup. The deputy thought the cane was a weapon”

“Grabbed”?! He’s a slow, old man and he didn’t “grab” the cane, he reached for it. Grab means quick or sudden movement. Per dictionary.com:

“grab
    1 [grab] Show IPA
    verb (used with object), grabbed, grab·bing.
    to seize suddenly or quickly; snatch; clutch: He grabbed me by the collar.
    to take illegal possession of; seize forcibly or unscrupulously: to grab land.
    to obtain and consume quickly: Let’s grab a sandwich before going to the movie.”

22. LetJusticePrevail" says:

“Twitchy” cop, with lousy vision is a bad combination. I wonder how long it’s been since he had an eye test?

23. evolveideas says:

The LEO wasn’t exactly accurate in his reporting of what happened. Whatever his perception, its clear he does not have hunting experience, he just started firing.

24. Chip Bennett says:

Now having seen the video, I’m confident that the police officer’s actions were reckless. A person not protected by a badge, having done the same thing in the same circumstances, would be charged with attempted manslaughter (or attempted murder), and all manner of firearms-related charges.

25. rmnewt says:

while the cops actions can and will be dealt with, is not the Sheriff’s Department response even more troubling? If a cop makes an error and those responsible cover it up, before you know it the errors grow and compound and you see twitchy, trigger happy, power intoxicated deputies that shoot an old guy with a cane.
    In the calm of the investigation, the Sheriff can’t recognize an obvious failure of judgement or even remain open to the possibility. Now he’s doubled down on stupid. Makes it obvious the department is complicit in the over-reaction. The Sheriff must have his deputies jumping at shadows and fearing their every move.

26. Quick to react… of course, are the police covering their own,of course. Those who have commented about the nature and moral of current day police officers…they deal with unethical liars and cheaters all day. How can you think that it will not rub off on a normal human being. Right or wrong this kid needs another job…….

27. daman12013 says:

Biggest problem I have with this is do you think any of you could have made this “mistake” and not be in jail right now awaiting trial for attempted murder but because its a cop its an “honest mistake”. I’m actually quite sick of hearing this time and time again “No wrongdoing found”. That is a complete crock of shite. We need to have someone other than the police investigating the police on this stuff. I’m sorry he felt it was a shotgun but guess what you need to be CERTAIN before you start pulling the trigger. He at least needs to be fired and not allowed to be a cop anymore because he obviously cannot cut it. Still like I said let anyone here say “I thought it was a shotgun” and watch what happens in court. “Shotgun?? How were you sure. You just shot an unarmed Man Mr. Zimmerman”… Get me point here? Still I mean seriously he couldn’t have pointed the gun at the guy and ordered him to drop it? Instantly he starts shooting?!?! This is becoming rampant and what is worse is people will defend this guy saying “Yeah the old fart should have stayed in the car”….

28. unitron says:

I’m not trying to blame anyone here, but something just doesn’t make sense.

Why would this man get out of the driver’s seat instead of just sitting there and waiting for the officer to come up to his window, ask for his operator’s license and vehicle registration and then tell the driver why he had been stopped like almost every routine traffic stop ever?

You don’t get out and go sit in the cop car unless invited (at which point you’re probably getting written up), you sit behind the wheel and hope the cop lets you off with a warning and sends you on your way.

If the cop had already told the guy to come back to the patrol car (which seems to have been rather far back from the truck), I wouldn’t think he’d just turn his back and walk away, leaving the guy to follow, and I’d think the driver would have said “Okay, officer, but it’s going to take a little time to get back there, I don’t walk so fast these days, let me get my cane out of the back.”

29. shaun says:

American Gestabo…alive & thriving….
    The back-up responder telling the shooter, dont worry about it, you did nothing wrong

30. metrometeor says:

Not defending the cop here, but something to think about:

A cop was once killed by a Vietnam veteran that went nuts after a traffic stop. The policeman didn’t react fast enough and the veteran pulled a gun out of his truck and shot him dead for no reason.

This was captured on the dashcam (very chilling footage), and it seems the video has been used to train cops.

Again, just something to think about…

31. dave says:

This cop just made a bad mistake and he should be fired…for one you a cane is much smaller than a shotgun and also you need to cock a shotgun and if you were to fire it it would take 2 hands..so maybe the cop needs glasses but either way he should be punished for such a horrible mistake

32. TheOlenDays says:

I don’t think Sheriff Andy Taylor would have handled it that way!

33. cromby says:

I agree with Unitron. Why did the man get out of his vehicle in the first place? Who does that? You sit there till the officer approaches you and explains why he pulled you over.
    Yes it is a terrible situation for both parties involved. I am sorry the man got shot, and I am sorry the deputy will have to carry the guilt.
    Deputies and police officers have it drilled in their heads at the academy “without hesitation”.
    I have also seen way too many times when an officer did hesitate, or trusted an individual only to be surprised by a hidden shot gun or hand gun and lost his life due to hesitation.
    But yet the coverage for his or her death was less critiqued than the Officer shot this man.
    Thank God the man was fully recovered! And did you hear him say “oh, I will be Ok” Even HE was not bitching and blaming the officer.
    So why is everyone else??

34. Chip Bennett says:

Tangentially related: police in Maine send the SWAT team to a man’s home for carrying a concealed gun tattoo:

Police armed with assault rifles descended on a Maine man’s home after members of a tree removal crew he’d told to clear off his property reported that he had a gun.

Turns out the “gun” the tree crew had seen on Michael Smith of Norridgewock was just a life-sized tattoo of a handgun on his stomach.