We Get Questions….

animated_computerGot a question you’ve been dying to ask, but you weren’t sure where or when to ask it?  Well, here’s a collaboratively edited question and answer thread that will be devoted entirely to the sharing of information from one to another.  We’re very fortunate to have quite a few “professional” bloggers and developers amongst us, as well as one that even runs his own forum.

Some examples of the most frequently asked questions include:

1.  How do I bold a comment, or change a font to Italic? th_DocumentCodeHTML_zpsd473cf59-1_zpsfa593e76

th_Smiley-photographer-ani_zpsca0544ac2.  How do I post a picture?

…………..3.  How do I make those smilies?

4.  Why aren’t my YouTube videos showing up?  th_youtube_sperrung_smiley_zpse12e67fe-1_zps8d9e91b4

th_link-to-single-tweet-title-image_zps6b588c2e-1_zps0cda56a95.  How do I post a single “Tweet”?

These are just a few of the most commonly asked ones… or perhaps you have a question about the site itself?  Also, feel free to practice what you’ve just learned too.  As “Jello333” put it, “Have like a “scribble” page where anyone trying to learn new techniques can do it all in one place. Here, lemme try this…. nope, didn’t work… how ’bout this… aha!”  😀

76aa8699a71a0be6f0617f17eb414c8cOh, and don’t let me forget to mention one of our newest Treepers, “nettles18”, as she was the inspiration behind this post.

About Ad rem

Millions of little gray cells wrapped in fur.
This entry was posted in Question - Answer Forum, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

308 Responses to We Get Questions….

• jello333 says:

TEST!!!

(Congratulations, the CTH has received your comment and the above AMPLIFIED reply indicates that you’re ready to go. A bill for our services will be mailed to your address on file in the coming days. Or something… )

1. Stillwater says:

Test to see if I can isolate a subtweet w/ video without the main tweet showing up with its content.

Part 3

2. Stillwater says:

The last test didn’t work so with this test I will try to post 3 video (3 parts) in a tweet with one link from the last tweet in the chain. (FYI … I’m not a twitter expert. lol)
    (If I post the 3 tweets with the individual videos the subsequent tweets with duplicate of the tweets they are under. This is what I am trying to avoid.)

Parts 1,2 & 3

3. Stillwater says:

Test. Trying the first twitter link this time to see what shows up.

• Stillwater says:

Just the first video on that tweet shows up as expected. So I guess there is no getting around the duplication of videos when trying to show them as twitter doesn’t appear to provide isolated links directly to individual subtweets without the chain they are part of.

Seems to me the only way to get around the duplication is if the original poster on twitter separates each video into its own individual main tweet instead of threading the remaining 2 tweets (each with one video) as subtweets under the main tweet (which causes duplication on the second two tweets).

If all 3 tweets are main or primary tweets then all 3 tweets(each with 1 video) can be posted together without duplication.

The only other possibility I see is if Brian posts each of the videos to youtube then I can embed the youtube video on CTH and add any twitter link that provides a description and prevent the twitter link from embedding if it also includes a video, thereby avoiding duplication.

Okay, I’m thinking out loud.

• Ad rem says:

Sorry….not gonna work on our WordPress.com sight, as they don’t offer the plugin. I tried to sneak one in for an Obama countdown clock, and they caught me. 😉

• Stillwater says:

Okay, thanks ~
        I’ll just post the tweet along with the countdown link tonight. Should be enough for people to go check it out themselves. 🙂

• jello333 says:

I’ve been thinking for a long time now that if I ever run into a lot of money, one thing I’m gonna do is hire the best programmer I can find, and using the world’s best blogging software (whatever that might be) do a nice little “upgrade” to the Treehouse. With Sundance and you guys approval, of course! 🙂 It would obviously take some time to do a “transfer” of all the massive data that’s been collected, but the end result could be super cool. Being able to search down to granular detail, being able to look up each and every comment a given user has ever written, etc. Oh, and I think it’s even possible to list the exact date that each user joined the Treehouse… so us old-timers can use our bragging rights. 🙂 But seriously, though, I really WOULD like to be able to do something like that.

4. Stillwater says:

Testing
    Testing
    123

5. Stillwater says:

Hi Ad rem,
    I was wondering how comprehensive is the search function/field on CTH?
    1. Can I search for specific words or phrases in an articles title
    2. Does it include phrases with in the body of an article?
    3. Does the search field also include searching for words or phrases within the comments of an article?

I suppose the more comprehensive a search covers, the more cluttered the results would be.

Also…

4. What is the proper way to write it it out in the search field? Do I use quotes around specific words or phrases? Also, if I just plainly type in a partial word without quotes, would it pull up article that include those letter combinations. I suppose there would have to be some limit as a sufficiently broad search query would really bog down the system.

Thanks ~

• Ad rem says:

Sorry for the late reply….I was away from the blog yesterday…..

In my experience, the WP search engine is specific up to a point. Your search has to be fairly “exact” in labeling, and then it’s pretty accurate at finding a past article. However, as far as finding specific phrases or sentences, I would rely on my own computer’s “find on this page” search feature.

• Stillwater says:

Okay, thanks. I use ctrl+f a lot to search within the page I’m on. I was thinking in terms of a phrase or word to isolate specific past articles. But I think you answered my question about how specific I need to be.

• jello333 says:

It’s been awhile since I bothered trying to search for anything. But from what I remember, it does a pretty good job of finding words that are in the actual title of a post… but NOT so great as far as words/phrases inside posts or comments.

6. Stillwater says:

Test. Breaking a web address so it doesn’t turn into a hyperlink.

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaihuiT24Vg