Jim DeMint Exposes The Ugly Truth of AARP’s Agenda…. “Profit” !

(The following article was penned by Senator Jim DeMint)  President Barack Obama is scheduled to speak Friday via satellite to a  convention sponsored by AARP. His speech will likely extol the virtues of “Obamacare,” and engage in scare tactics about conservative proposals to make  Medicare sustainable. But here are five facts you’re unlikely to hear from the  president, or AARP, about how each treats seniors:

First, while AARP poses as a disinterested senior advocate, it functions as  an insurance conglomerate, with a liberal lobbying arm on the side. AARP depends  on profits, royalties and commissions to make up more than 50 percent of its  annual revenues. Membership dues from seniors account for only about 20 percent.  The sums involved aren’t chump change: AARP’s $458 million in health insurance  revenue in 2011 would rank it as the nation’s sixth most profitable health  insurer.

Second, AARP wins when seniors lose. Because AARP receives a “royalty fee” of 4.95 percent of every premium dollar paid by seniors buying  Medigap insurance from the organization, AARP earns more profit when seniors pay  more in premiums. Even former AARP executives admitLINK that the billions of  dollars raised from these business enterprises have compromised the  organization’s mission and independence.

Third, AARP’s policy positions just happen to coincide with its financial  interests. “Obamacare,” which AARP lobbied heavily for, could yield the group  windfall profits of more than $1 billion over the next decade by forcing seniors  off Medicare Advantage plans and into Medigap supplemental coverage. Conversely,  AARP engaged in a secret lobbying campaign to block Medigap reforms last year  that by one estimate would have saved nearly 80 percent of seniors an average of  $415 per year – but cost AARP billions in profits.

Fourth, AARP knows it can protect its financial interests by aligning with  Democrats, no matter what its members think. That’s one reason why AARP endorsed “Obamacare,” though the organization’s call response logs indicate opponents  outnumbered supporters by more than 50 to 1.

Consider: One senior AARP executive wrote the White House in November 2009,  saying “we will try to keep a little space between us” on health care – because  AARP’s “polling shows we are more influential when we are seen as independent,  so we want to reinforce that positioning….The larger issue is how best to serve  the cause.”

“The cause” in this case is liberalism, the Obama agenda and “Obamacare” in  particular.

Fifth, the Obama administration has reciprocated AARP’s support by giving the  group preferential treatment. “Obamacare” exempted Medigap insurance – a market  AARP dominates – from virtually all its new mandates, including the ban on  preexisting condition discrimination. The Department of Health and Human  Services exempted Medigap plans from insurance rate review, though AARP, whose  plan is the most popular form of Medigap coverage, makes more in profit the  higher premiums rise. Though the administration has publicly attacked other  insurance companies with much smaller profit margins, it has not openly  criticized AARP’s business practices.  (continue reading)

This entry was posted in Election 2012, Obamacare, Tea Party, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Jim DeMint Exposes The Ugly Truth of AARP’s Agenda…. “Profit” !

1. Sol Horowitz says:

Flashback to 2009:

2. jordan2222 says:

I am 66 and a long time member. I joined to get AARP the Hartford homeowner’s insurance when any insurance was impossible to obtain in Florida. I added my Jeep and boat and have been happy ever since. Their rates are the best and my insurance cannot be canceled for any reason…. peace of mind.

I get a call every year to review my policies for savings. The last one was to delete sink hole coverage I don’t need and saved me $600

Their Roadside Assistance Plan is superior to AAA and cost far less money.

They have excellent discounts of many different products including travel benefits.

I find them to be a great source of all kinds of reliable information for seniors including Medicare.

Their political positions may not always line up with mine but I can get past that. I also have a sense that many Florida members are actually conservatives.

So I have no complaints and value my membership with them on a par with the NRA.

• cajunkelly says:

I’ll just say “your mileage may vary”. We’ve had commercials running here for months and months regarding the money AARP is going to rake in. No wonder they were so all in for obamacare.

My dad cancelled his AARP upon learning of their support of the obamacare debacle.

I get their junk mail constantly. I stuff their postage paid return envelope with all the junk mail I can fit in it, and mail it back. They have to pay the excess postage.

Here’s the conservative’s alternative to AARP

3. eoow says:

My wife and I do not belong to AARP and doubtful if we ever will. Yes we feel if you support an organization by accepting membership you support their policy no matter if that is the intent or not. The membership totals are used in their lobbying effort. We suspect people know that already. We choose to associate ourselves and provide business to companies and organization that align, with in reason, to our beliefs. America is a great country. The constitution allows people to make a choice and public discourse. We am afraid if Obamacare comes to full implementation AARP’s competitors will no longer be in business so we will not have much choice.

4. Mikado Cat says:

Many of the groups I am in discuss insurance, and many are very pleased with low premiums, but when it comes time to get money BACK from the insurance companies its often a very different story.

• jordan2222 says:

I have heard those stories, but it has never happened to me with AARP Hartford.

• cajunkelly says:

Do you have the extended hospital stay coverage? Ever tried to actually collect on it?

good luck

• jordan2222 says:

I was referring to auto and home coverage. I am a disabled vet so I have no health insurance bills. As a back up, I have Medicare Part B. Universal Health Care. I used them recently.. a 2 night stay in the hospital. . The bill was over ten grand but Universal paid all of it.

Ten grand is absurd. I had no idea a hospital stay could cost so much.

5. cajunkelly says:

Here’s what Paul Ryan said to the folks at AARP about Obamacare.

“The first step to a stronger Medicare is to repeal Obamacare, because it represents the worst of both worlds. I had a feeling there’d be mixed reactions so let me get into it. It weakens Medicare for today’s seniors and puts it at risk for the next generation.”

A little like Daniel in the Lion’s Den? You bet, but you have to give Ryan credit for facing down what is one of this country’s most powerful lobbyists for Obamacare.

That’s right.

You’re used to thinking of lobbyists as the shadowy guys behind big oil and big banks. I’ve got news for you; AARP is no different.

The nonprofit is a powerful organization that can make politicians quake in their boot. According to Kimberly Strassel at the Wall Street Journal, the nonprofit representing Americans 50 and older was a critical ally in the President’s campaign to get Obamacare passed. She cites 71 pages of emails between the White House and AARP staff in which the outfit’s top leaders were well on board, even before critical details of the law, even those pertinent to seniors were crafted.

The trouble is that the final bill isn’t the greatest for seniors. First off, it axes $716 billion from Medicare. Secondly, it downsizes Medicare advantage; a successful drug plan that actually managed to cut program costs by offering seniors choice. Thirdly, it may well lead to rationing, but that is a topic for another day. So, net, net seniors are getting the short end of the stick and now today Sen. Jim Demint who wrote in Politico says dollars and cents may be behind the AARP’s move.

“First, while AARP poses as a disinterested senior advocate, it functions as an insurance conglomerate, with a liberal lobbying arm on the side. AARP depends on profits, royalties and commissions to make up more than 50% of its annual revenues. Membership dues from seniors account for only about 20%. The sums involved aren’t chump change: AARP’s $458 million in health insurance revenue in 2011 would rank it as the nation’s sixth most profitable health insurer.”

So the next time you see one of those warm and fuzzy ads for AARP, don’t be fooled.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/willis-report/blog/2012/09/21/seniors-youre-obamas-back-pocket#ixzz27ANlf6Le

6. jordan2222 says:

Maybe I am wrong but my sense is that AARP members here in Florida see it for what it is. When Scott announced that Florida would opt out of both Obamacare and the Medicaid expansion, I did not notice any great resistance even at the Tampa Bay Times except in their editorials. Who pays attention to those any more?

While I am well aware of their lobbying efforts, I do not think they are even as powerful as the NRA.

In my personal situation, it could cost me a hell of money to get out. I suspect a lot of folks also feel “locked in” but that should have no bearing on their politics.

I would never vote for Obama and honestly know no else who would either.

I would be interested to know how many AARP members actually voted for him last time in Florida but I doubt there is a reliable link.

I do understand your point but I think Seniors are much brighter and more mature than most folks.

7. justfactsplz says:

I don’t belong to AARP because of all of their lobbying. I saw enough of that when I was in the pharmacy business and saw all of those drug companies lobbying to keep generics from coming out so they could charge all of those high prices for their drugs.

8. Lisa K says:

It’s time we in the free market system let our dollars speak for what we believe/support, and I do NOT support this socialist administration in office, baiting every ‘category’ or group of citizens he can to create gov reliance and to use our own money against us. Stand on principle folks, not just your own myopic self. There are Conservative options that will not channel our money into the pockets of the Obama Leftist administration while stripping us of our rights, retirement, security and future’s we worked hard to leave for our children/grandchildren. Time to take a stand, while we still can. Say “NO!” to AARP, a company betraying us & the pure Capitalist system it should be protecting!

9. Pingback: AMAC...An Alternative To AARP | Conservalicious

10. Bigtriton33 says:

What happens when United Healthcare gets out bid by another carrier?
    AARP is constantly accepting bids from other carriers. Whoever offers the highest bid wins!
    Remember when the only medicare supplement endorsed by AARP was Mutual of Omaha?
    What happened to them?
    What happened to those trusting people?
    AARP does not have the people’s best interest in mind.
    Don’t believe me? Research it for yourself.