Possibly The World’s Most Fattening Snack…

Well the big debate is over.  Anyone up for a little late night noshing?  The folks at the Iowa State Fair have just the right, though hardly ‘lite’, treat for you…a Deep-Fried Stick of Butter.  Remember Sarah Palin saying, “I’m excited to try some of that famous fried butter-on-a-stick, fried cheesecake-on-a-stick, fried Twinkies, etc.”  If it’s good enough for Sarah, then I just might give it a try as well.

(Eater National)…Oh, good, it’s state fair fried food season. A new contender for the craziest fried thing: the Iowa State Fair’s fried butter on a stick. Fried butter itself is nothing new — it debuted at the State Fair of Texas in 2009, and Paula Deen has her infamous fried butter balls. But this is a whole stick of butter on a stick dipped in a cinnamon honey batter and deep-fried. And then coated in a sugary glaze. It costs four dollars. Speaking of honey, If you want to buy some very good honey, and have no ideea where to start from, you better check this out.

The fried butter on a stick was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Iowa State Fair’s life size butter cow sculpture. Alas, “Butter Cow Lady” Norma Lyon, who sculpted the cow every year for over 60 years, died last month. Hopefully she would have considered this a fitting tribute.

Here’s video of out of KCCI in Des Moines, on the story:

Video: New Fair Food: Fried Butter On A Stick!

About Ad rem

Millions of little gray cells wrapped in fur.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Possibly The World’s Most Fattening Snack…

1. Auntie Lib says:

I’ll have a piece of the cheesecake – on a stick or not – I’m good with it. Do they have raspberry margueritas to wash it down? Nurse!!!!

Thanks for hosting the debate comments, SD – much fun!

• Auntie Lib says:

Sorry, kitty!!! Brain and fingers not engaged. I’ll pass on the marguerita – obviously don’t need that at this point.

• Ad rem says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I was just about to ask you where you were gettin’ yours! I’ve never had a raspberry one……but it’s just one of those things I’d KNOW i’d like. 😉

2. Auntie Lib says:

YOU HAVEN’T HAD A RASPBERRY MARGUERITA??? EVER???? OMG. You poor thing. That must be rectified. Soonest. I shall procure ingredients tomorrow and we shall imbibe forthwith. Shall we say seven-ish?

3. ZurichMike says:

The basis of ZurichMike’s cooking pyramid is butter.

4. tnwahm says:

While I agree with Paula Deen that adding butter and cream to anything will make it better, I don’t think I could go for a whole stick deep-fried. I’ll stay with Auntie and go with the cheesecake and whatever they have in chocolate.

5. G8rMom7 says:

Sounds like something my husband’s 92 year old grandmother with high-cholesterol would eat. She used to eat straight butter when we waited for our food at restaurants…and carried a salt shaker in her purse. Did I mention she’s 92?